Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

S01.E10: Chapter Ten: The Witching Hour

Recommended Posts

Quote

A revolutionary attack divides the witches and mortals of Greendale, and Sabrina braces for a life-changing choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Damn, this show is dark. I can't help thinking that with a name like 'Nick Scratch", that warlock who wants to romance Sabrina is really The Dark Lord in a human form she'll like. But maybe the writers aren't planning on being that obvious. I guess I'll find out next season.

 

ETA: I wonder if the guy who was tuning up my hot water heater down in the basement could hear Richard Coyle leading the "Hail Satan" chants on my tv upstairs.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I loved this show OMG I cant wait till chapter 2 ... so Zelda thinks no one is gonna wonder where they got a female baby? and please please dont let Hilda's boss be a bad guy she is to cute when she is happy.... and good god what demon would want to be a familiar with the death rate the way it seemed to be for them lol .....so does Prudence know the other baby is alive? and is she worried with the creepy way her father said Judis was his hair seeing how she is his older Sister and would need to be bumped off if they are doing succession with who's born first is who gets the power/position I mean if witches live for a really really long time does it even matter? .....since there are different covens do they all follow the same rules that part seemed a little murky to me I mean would the Head Priest of another coven have the same power do they share power? I mean is there not like a head head coven (like the pope) and then branches that flow from there? the rules never seemed to be stated like are there other dark arts schools? or do all witches travel and go to this school? it didn't seem to be that big of a school so im assuming no ..but I guess it being in another realm that that building in greendale could just be one of many doorways to get there and there are many around every coven that leads to the same place but it didn't seem like they had that many students and it seemed to only show the kids from Sabrinas coven there...and speaking of the other kids in the coven do they just stay at the school at all times? do they go out into the town? I guess mortals not being interesting to them wouldn't really wanna hang around but still they are shown being semi normal has adults still living in the mortal world (Ie hilda Zelda etc) so what do they do? what do the other adult witches in the mortal world do? 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/27/2018 at 1:40 AM, ApathyMonger said:

Am I right that they already filmed S2? I'd love to get it sooner than a year from now, but that's not likely. 

I think they are filming season 2 now. Not sure when it's going to be released exactly, but I read that it's planned for sometime in 2019.

 

2 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I loved this show OMG I cant wait till chapter 2 ... so Zelda thinks no one is gonna wonder where they got a female baby? 

I'm not sure how this going to work out long term, but I also don't think Zelda actually has a plan yet. It's certainly possible that she's going to keep Baby Girl Blackwell hidden until she's older (child/young teen), and then could pretend that she's a distant relative come to stay with them. But it's probably going to be pretty hard to keep this whole thing a secret next season, especially considering that she also has to be unholy godmother to Baby Boy Blackwell.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I thought this was a fairly entertaining and surprisingly dark take on Sabrina. My one complaint is I wish it was slightly funnier. There's some comedy there, and I like the way things are subverted just to be the opposite of "good" (like calling the judge "Your Dishonor" at the trial), but it feels like it needs just a smidge more to be satisfying. 

Count me among those who immediately though Nick was Satan in disguise. When he introduced himself, I was like "Seriously? Old Scratch? Well, I guess Young Hot Scratch in this case." I was surprised that he was not revealed to be Satan by episode 10, but maybe that will happen in Part Two.

I have no idea what Zelda is going to do with that baby, but this feels like this is heading towards a battle between feminism/inclusivity and the patriarchy (because despite all the talk of sisterhood, the coven is very much a patriarchy and Blackwell obsessed with producing a male heir) and I'm sure the female baby will play a part in that. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/26/2018 at 6:10 PM, NeenerNeener said:

I can't help thinking that with a name like 'Nick Scratch", that warlock who wants to romance Sabrina is really The Dark Lord in a human form she'll like

That's what I'm guessing.  Naming him Nick is pretty on the nose so I'm thinking he'll be the bad boy love interest encouraging Sabrina to give into her darker impulses before she can control her new powers.  Then we'll find out if he's just another student, Satan's son, Satan himself, or some other reveal.

Love the reveal that Lilith is involved and I'm so ready for what she's going to do next season.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Kostgard said:

I thought this was a fairly entertaining and surprisingly dark take on Sabrina. My one complaint is I wish it was slightly funnier. There's some comedy there, and I like the way things are subverted just to be the opposite of "good" (like calling the judge "Your Dishonor" at the trial), but it feels like it needs just a smidge more to be satisfying. 

I thought there was something missing but I think it had promise. Perhaps this was the source material but I thought things were too complex. I had trouble keeping up with the various and sundry rules and people plotting agains Sabrina. Might have been more powerful if Sabrina was more internally tempted to turn dark.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Kostgard said:

I have no idea what Zelda is going to do with that baby, but this feels like this is heading towards a battle between feminism/inclusivity and the patriarchy (because despite all the talk of sisterhood, the coven is very much a patriarchy and Blackwell obsessed with producing a male heir) and I'm sure the female baby will play a part in that. 

It’s interesting just how patriarchal the witch society is, despite witches being associated with a long of strong women. The witches that Sabrina et al call on for the exorcism are all female, for example, and most of the magical characters are female, and yet they are completed subservient to the Dark Lord (coded as male) and to the High Priest. Can women even become high priest?

 

Even within the Spellman family, Edward continues to cast this large shadow over the family, despite the fact that he’s dead, and his sisters have had to deal with the aftermath of his death (raising Sabrina).

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

My thoughts on the show:

While I absolutely loved Sabrina the Teenage witch, I can get behind this show.  At first, I was peeved with the casting of Aunts Zelda and Hilda but they grew on me by the end of the series.

Would Father Blackwood have actually killed the girl twin if Aunt Zelda told him that she was born after her brother (thus making her younger), still making the brother the legal and rightful heir but not taking the girl baby?

Loved the Hilda romance with the bookstore owner storyline.  I guess from the flash in his eyes, he is something other than mortal (maybe a warlock?) and will be revealed in season 2.

Love the addition of cousin Ambrose.  I never read the comics, was he in there? Or was this an addition from the writers of the show?

Mrs. Wardwell was bothering me till I googled and saw that it was Missy from Dr. Who.

I loved the character of Prudence and the end that she is now a frenemy of Sabrina’s.  Loved the fact that Sabrina assisted in saving her life for the Feast of Feasts (which I totally thought was DISGUSTING!).

I hated the fact that Sabina’s motive was to retain her uniqueness with her half mortal still in tact and then be forced to sign her name in the Book of the Beast really was a downer.  Hopefully, there is a way to reverse that for season 2.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I read they didn't take a break in filming between Season 1 to Season 2 which Keirnan said really helped stay in character.  She said she might have had trouble getting back into that headspace from the last scene in episode 10 months later if they took a break.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, kitlee625 said:

It’s interesting just how patriarchal the witch society is, despite witches being associated with a long of strong women. The witches that Sabrina et al call on for the exorcism are all female, for example, and most of the magical characters are female, and yet they are completed subservient to the Dark Lord (coded as male) and to the High Priest. Can women even become high priest?

 

Even within the Spellman family, Edward continues to cast this large shadow over the family, despite the fact that he’s dead, and his sisters have had to deal with the aftermath of his death (raising Sabrina).

While I did really enjoy the series, this was a huge disappointment and one of my biggest problems with the series. There's a lot of lip service to women but little agency given to them. Hell, I was on the original 13's side. They got screwed over, and I'd want revenge, too. Even badass Madam Satan wants to...serve at the Dark Lord's side? BE the Dark Lord yourself, Satan lady! Even first born males are given more importance. I'm really hoping this is all set up to overthrowing the patriarchy en total and not just the Dark Lord. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, calliope1975 said:

While I did really enjoy the series, this was a huge disappointment and one of my biggest problems with the series. There's a lot of lip service to women but little agency given to them. Hell, I was on the original 13's side. They got screwed over, and I'd want revenge, too. Even badass Madam Satan wants to...serve at the Dark Lord's side? BE the Dark Lord yourself, Satan lady! Even first born males are given more importance. I'm really hoping this is all set up to overthrowing the patriarchy en total and not just the Dark Lord. 

I have a feeling that that's where this is heading. The Dark Lord isn't so much a character as an idea, filtered through the Madam Satan and Father Blackwood, who are set up as evil adversaries rather than allies. Blackwood may think he finished the season ahead, now that he has his male heir and his gang of warlock bros, but he a) failed in getting Sabrina to sign her name in the book, and b) has lost some of his important allies/disciples (Prudence seems to be more wary of him, and Zelda stole his kid). I definitely think that he'll be getting some comeuppance in season 2.

 

Which brings to mind another question - what's the deal with the title of High Priest? Is it something earned or inherited? Sabrina's father was High Priest before he died, so does that mean that she could challenge Blackwood for the title?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Ok I am mostly in for a second season.  It looks like the show is going for a boys vs girls in Witchville kind of thing which has potential.   Alot of the show did work for me.  I enjoyed the witch stuff and I actually really liked the Temptation of Sabrina Spellman.   Zelda and Hilda were fun.  I really liked their relationship and their relationship with Sabrina.   What I often didn't like was the mortal stuff. Harvey was boring through almost all of this and I don't see him getting any more interesting.    

All in all I think I am in for a second season.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, greekmom said:

I hated the fact that Sabina’s motive was to retain her uniqueness with her half mortal still in tact and then be forced to sign her name in the Book of the Beast really was a downer.  Hopefully, there is a way to reverse that for season 2.

I hated this, too.  The whole premise was Sabrina being determined not to sign it and to find a way to stay a witch without giving up her friends and previous lifestyle with friends, school, boyfriend, whatever.  Then at only the 10th episode she's been totally manipulated into signing and neither her nor her aunts or cousin were even partially aware of the manipulation and her downward slide leading to her trying to resurrect the dead.

The whole time I was wondering how Sabrina was supposed to be able to attend both schools at once.  Maybe the witch school is open for night hours?  How could a relatively small congregation provide enough resources and students to keep the thing open?  Why are Sabrina and maybe her parents the first ones to realize or even say anything about what a shitty system witches have?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Blue Plastic said:

I hated this, too.  The whole premise was Sabrina being determined not to sign it and to find a way to stay a witch without giving up her friends and previous lifestyle with friends, school, boyfriend, whatever.  Then at only the 10th episode she's been totally manipulated into signing and neither her nor her aunts or cousin were even partially aware of the manipulation and her downward slide leading to her trying to resurrect the dead.

The whole time I was wondering how Sabrina was supposed to be able to attend both schools at once.  Maybe the witch school is open for night hours?  How could a relatively small congregation provide enough resources and students to keep the thing open?  Why are Sabrina and maybe her parents the first ones to realize or even say anything about what a shitty system witches have?

The show needed to up the anti.  This isn’t like Sabrina The Teenage Witch  where they can legitimately keep the main premise going on for years if they wanted to.  This is trying to tell a linear story and going around in circles would get old after awhile.  Now that Sabrina has signed the Book of Beasts the anti has been raised and the story in both worlds can continue with a lot more at stake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The whole premise to get her to sign in this one made no sense to me. Leave the people protecting the humans, so that the protection becomes too weak to help, in order to go get more power so you can stop everything all on your own seemed to be the basic argument? Except when there were a group of them there doing the protecting, it seemed to be working just fine. So the only reason she even needed the power she left to go get was because she left to go get it.

I wanted to love this show but from the start I just didn't like the character Sabrina herself, and the finale did nothing to help that. It made it worse.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

So I was right that Michelle Gomez is Lilith. Neat. Killing the principle was par for the course, but killing her familiar? That's cold, man.

 

The rest was okay. Kinda predictable. I don't think the cliffhanger is very cliffhangery. Sabrina will be hanging wwith her mortal friends again by the end of episode 1 of seaosn 2.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

While I did really enjoy the series, this was a huge disappointment and one of my biggest problems with the series. There's a lot of lip service to women but little agency given to them. Hell, I was on the original 13's side. They got screwed over, and I'd want revenge, too. Even badass Madam Satan wants to...serve at the Dark Lord's side? BE the Dark Lord yourself, Satan lady! Even first born males are given more importance. I'm really hoping this is all set up to overthrowing the patriarchy en total and not just the Dark Lord. 

I agree, this show is oddly non feminist. Co signed to all of the above but why is it set in some sort of 50s universe? (other than the comic) Every woman on this show seems perfectly content to shoot for the highest honor possible... getting with a man. I suppose that Sabrina's story could be ending it all and seizing the power from the dark lord... and becoming the "lord" herself.  But everything about the show annoyed me on this point. I find this show very similar to Harry Potter but just look at the differences. EVERYTHING Sabrina does revolves back to Harvey. She doesn't want to take her dark powers because of Harvey. She uses her powers to save Harvey and on and on. Has she once thought about herself, what she wants to do?  

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 28.10.2018 at 7:46 PM, kitlee625 said:

I'm not sure how this going to work out long term, but I also don't think Zelda actually has a plan yet. It's certainly possible that she's going to keep Baby Girl Blackwell hidden until she's older (child/young teen), and then could pretend that she's a distant relative come to stay with them. But it's probably going to be pretty hard to keep this whole thing a secret next season, especially considering that she also has to be unholy godmother to Baby Boy Blackwell.

It was a pretty hairbrain scheme. Couldn't she just have said that the daughter was born second? Problem solved.

 

On 29.10.2018 at 3:12 AM, scarynikki12 said:

Love the reveal that Lilith is involved and I'm so ready for what she's going to do next season.

Pretty much called it when she was named as the mother of demons in episode 5.

 

10 hours ago, kitlee625 said:

Which brings to mind another question - what's the deal with the title of High Priest? Is it something earned or inherited? Sabrina's father was High Priest before he died, so does that mean that she could challenge Blackwood for the title?

I was wondering that too. Would be interesting if she ended the show as the High Priest.

 

8 hours ago, theatremouse said:

The whole premise to get her to sign in this one made no sense to me. Leave the people protecting the humans, so that the protection becomes too weak to help, in order to go get more power so you can stop everything all on your own seemed to be the basic argument? Except when there were a group of them there doing the protecting, it seemed to be working just fine. So the only reason she even needed the power she left to go get was because she left to go get it.

Well, it's doubtfull that she and aunt Hilda alone could have held the door the whole witching hour. And Lilith sure as hell wasn't going to help. So she had to do something.

Also her three best friends were outside of the protection.

 

16 minutes ago, BooBear said:

I agree, this show is oddly non feminist. Co signed to all of the above but why is it set in some sort of 50s universe? (other than the comic) Every woman on this show seems perfectly content to shoot for the highest honor possible... getting with a man.

To be fair, most men on this show don't come off great either...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, kitlee625 said:

Which brings to mind another question - what's the deal with the title of High Priest? Is it something earned or inherited? Sabrina's father was High Priest before he died, so does that mean that she could challenge Blackwood for the title?

I did not get the impression it was inherited. Every time they mentioned Edward it sounded like something he'd earned. I don't recall any mention of any of their other ancestors being high priest. I think this is sort of like being a bishop, or maybe pope. Of course given how long they theoretically live, he could've had the role for centuries.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, theatremouse said:

I did not get the impression it was inherited. Every time they mentioned Edward it sounded like something he'd earned. I don't recall any mention of any of their other ancestors being high priest. I think this is sort of like being a bishop, or maybe pope. Of course given how long they theoretically live, he could've had the role for centuries.

That was my initial impression too, but then we hear that there's all this potential Blackwood family drama about which of his children will be his heir and inherit his "title." Now, he certainly could be planning on training his son to earn the title of High Priest, but then why does it matter if baby boy Blackwell has sisters?

 

I get the impression that Edward was High Priest for at least 60 years. We know that Edward was the High Priest who sentenced Ambrose to house arrest 75 years ago, and Blackwood didn't take over until after Edward's death when Sabrina was a baby (~16 years ago).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting. I thought it was two separate things.

1) Now he has a son who he will consider his heir, which he values for stock patriarchal reasons.

2) He hopes his son will eventually become powerful and become High Priest, in a "following in footsteps" way, not in a "this automatically follows" way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

This show keeps reminding me of a kiddy version of WGN Salem.  I would recommend watching it if you like dark dark bloody crazy ass stories but I am not sure where to find it.  Hulu maybe.  It had the same concept of witchcraft being selling your soul to the devil but the reasoning was different.  A lot has to do with Sabrina’s reason.  I sell my soul to protect others but the downward spiral happens regardless.   I know this is trying to be more adult but I doubt the show will get too too dark and will allow Sabrina to spiral too far which is disappointing.  I prefer darker narratives these days then cutesy teen drama. 

If only they made Harvery more interesting.

I will still watch season 2 because I do enjoy it especially when it gets dark. 

 

On anither note it will be interesting if Edward’s son has no power and his daughter has all of it...Bewitched style.  The girl baby is a witch the boy baby is a mortal.  Which at first perplexed him but forces a battle between I’m and Zelda.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I found myself liking The dark Sabrina. The moment when she torched those 13 Witches, you could see how she felt dark power (and got new hair in the process) and three sec later she looked like she felt remorse burning the witches. She changed. I liked that scene.  

Aunt Hilda is the beeeeest! I was happy she kissed that man, and then few sec later, his eyes, whaaa.... in short, can't wait for season 2! So much potential good storylines for all characters. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Ophanim said:

Aunt Hilda is the beeeeest! I was happy she kissed that man, and then few sec later, his eyes, whaaa.... in short, can't wait for season 2! So much potential good storylines for all characters. 

I second that. All of the main characters have moved out of their comfort zones compared to where they started the season, which I think is going to set up a very interesting season 2. Sabrina has left behind the mortal realm, Hilda is moving more towards the mortal realm, Zelda is moving away from the church dogma and hierarchy, and Ambrose is finally leaving the house. I read that the show was greenlit as a 2 season, 20 episode block, and I think that was a smart choice because they've created a nice cliffhanger to set up season 2.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Did they just sort of drop the storyline of a witch hunter on the loose - the one who killed the boy Ambrose worked on and whose familiar (the iguana) he inherited? Aunt Hilda got the call (I thought) that his parents committed suicide but then it was never mentioned again. I got the impression then that Ambrose’s boyfriend might have been involved. It would sort of be weird to pick it back up next season after so much time not mentioning it.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I like dark Sabrina much better. It was interesting that it looked like she liked the power when she called the hellfire and it looked like she flinched when Harvey touched her. I wonder if that's part of the dark lord's power making them not like mortals. It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts. 

I also like Nick better than Harvey, he's so dull. Her friends are okay since they seem to have some kind of power as well. Speaking of power what is Hilda's love interest? I guess if he's not a mortal it'll be easier for her. 

Lilith finally revealed herself and ate the misogynist principle. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/29/2018 at 4:16 PM, Unclejosh said:

I read they didn't take a break in filming between Season 1 to Season 2 which Keirnan said really helped stay in character.  She said she might have had trouble getting back into that headspace from the last scene in episode 10 months later if they took a break.

I feel like this show is an absolute godsend for a child star who wasn't known for sitcoms/happy stuff to make the transition into leading lady material. It's a great part with a lot of room for growth for her. I loved her ending although I really hope they get a better wig. Well done- I managed to get through this in a few days.

I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes Harvey, but that's because I'll always think Ross Lynch was awesome as Austin Moon and man I wish they'd let him dye hair back to blond.

Can't wait to see what season 2 brings.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I like idea of Nick being Dark Lord himself. He is way to "perfect" for Sabrina, has same interest like her, researching her father's life, and encourage her 'ship with mortal Harvey. He is so full of ...hm,"understanding". He is hiding something for sure. 

But he did say Dark Lord is jealous one and that's way he is envious of mortal's life - they can chose love. Witches/warlocks must show adoration only to Dark Lord (and have orgies haha). This will come later at one point.

Harvey as character has potential if they go back to his family roots and make him witch hunter, but I doubt that will happen. Maybe? I don't read comics, so I am clueless. I like that he is cartoonist and paints some weird stuff. 

Also, I agree this show is like "feminist declaration" but only in words right now, its mostly about man and to serve man, and to be by man. But I sense there will be some resist and challenge on "man's world" in season 2 or later. This show could last for awhile. I wouldn't mind. It's rich world.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed Season One, although there were a few things that were quite irritating. One was the blurry screen (at first I thought there was something wrong with Netflix), the other was that some of the accents came out oddly to say the least.

I also thought it was odd that in this episode Prudence was being nice to Lady Blackwood, despite Lady Blackwood attempting to kill her.

The aunts are definitely my favourite characters, and Harvey is great too.

Lilith is intriguing, although she doesn't seem particularly powerful, considering she is the Mother of Demons.

The idea that you have to give away your freedom for power is intriguing. Surely freedom is power?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if Sabrina will use her powers in front of her friends next season since they know and she gave into her dark side. I liked that she just appeared in Harvey's room and was casually sitting on his desk.

I'm sure they will go with her light side being the reason she's so powerful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I can't decide if I liked this show or not. I think part of the problem is that I don't really like Sabrina, she seems kind of obnoxious to me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Something tells me this is going to be a show about Witches versus Warlocks, as a schism emerges at the school. I wonder how Prudence will handle the special treatment the Blackwood twins will be getting from Father Blackwood and Zelda, although those stories might be several seasons away.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/30/2018 at 9:42 AM, kitlee625 said:

That was my initial impression too, but then we hear that there's all this potential Blackwood family drama about which of his children will be his heir and inherit his "title." Now, he certainly could be planning on training his son to earn the title of High Priest, but then why does it matter if baby boy Blackwell has sisters?

 

I get the impression that Edward was High Priest for at least 60 years. We know that Edward was the High Priest who sentenced Ambrose to house arrest 75 years ago, and Blackwood didn't take over until after Edward's death when Sabrina was a baby (~16 years ago).

In the episode about the feast, they said something about witches don't recognize legitimate vs illegitimate children, so if Blackwood has other kids, like Prudence, they could challenge for the role of high priest. That's why Lady Blackwood wanted Prudence dead, so she couldn't threaten her baby's right to the title of high priest. So there must be some familial connection to getting the role of high priest, but it hasn't fully been explained. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, roctavia said:

That's why Lady Blackwood wanted Prudence dead, so she couldn't threaten her baby's right to the title of high priest. 

I can't remember -- did she specify high priest? Or did she just say heir? There are many other things to inherit, and if inheritance is through children and not spouses...

Share this post


Link to post

It seems like the Catholic church that only males are priests in the dark church as well. So I don't think Prudence can claim the title. She may be able to claim everything else should Faustos die, his money, his home, etc...

If the title is inherited and able to be female then wouldn't it be Sabrina's right. Faustos would be only be interm priest until Sabrina was old enough. I think the title is a chosen by the coven and the dark lord. Faustos may hope his son will be chosen since he'll groom for it. 

Edited by Sakura12

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

I can't remember -- did she specify high priest? Or did she just say heir? There are many other things to inherit, and if inheritance is through children and not spouses...

I though they specifically talked about being high priest... that other children could challenge for it. There may be more to it that we don't know.... like if you die you're out (which I suppose could lead to us finding out Blackwood played a role in killing sabrina's parents) but if you step down you can give the title to your child or something random like that.... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This wasn't too bad. I am in for S2, but I had some issues with this season.

All the episodes felt too long.

The mortals and their storylines were boring. I figured out why in the penultimate episode; there is no humor or lightness to any of the mortal characters. Their stories were increasingly dark and supernatural but without the tongue in cheek and sly humor of the witches. I understand there are more stakes for mortals, but it was no fun to watch after a few episodes. Sabrina only managed to get sympathy because she was being played by Kiernan Shipka. She’d be insufferable otherwise.

I haven’t watched Riverdale and I wasn’t a fan of the indeterminate time setting. I did like the fashion and styling, but not sure why they needed to throw in the random smart phone or laptop.

More positively, I liked most of the casting for the witch side. The show’s "adult” storylines are more entertaining.  I really like all the Spellmans. Michelle Gomez is fun to watch when she's playing a villain; she is captivating on screen. I think the actress who plays Prudence showed some range as well. I will keep watching for them. I don't mind Nick. He livened up the Harvey scenes this episode and he is a bit too perfect, but in terms of teen love triangles, I have seen much worse.

 

On 10/29/2018 at 1:15 PM, greekmom said:

Would Father Blackwood have actually killed the girl twin if Aunt Zelda told him that she was born after her brother (thus making her younger), still making the brother the legal and rightful heir but not taking the girl baby?

Considering how Father Blackwood had no intention of telling Prudence she was his kid or acknowledging her, I don't think he'd have cared about his baby daughter either way. Zelda kidnapped that baby selfishly but she is not wrong in that Blackwood would have harmed his baby daughter in some way whether he kills her or neglects her. He wouldn't have loved her like he does his son who will probably turn out to be a little sociopath. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Athena said:

I don't mind Nick. He livened up the Harvey scenes this episode and he is a bit too perfect, but in terms of teen love triangles, I have seen much worse.

I don't think Nick is a teenager or who he claims to be. In a manner similar to how Ms. Wardwell pretended to be a teenage girl to lure the virgin football player to his death, Nick seems to be at the right place at the right time, too many times for it to be coincidence. He steals the exact journal of Sabrina's father that will open the puzzle box, he nails the feet of the mean witches so they can't interfere with Sabrina's plans, I am sure there are other instances where he supports Sabrina, pushing her in a certain direction, like continually mentioning that he studies necromancy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't think Nick is a teenager or who he claims to be.

Oh I agree. Yes it may be a cliche that Sabrina is in a love triangle with some sort of demon or Satan and her mortal boyfriend, but like I've said, there have been a lot worse love triangles with teenagers on TV or movies. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I mean, he could very well be 100 years old and still look like he's 17.

I don't think he is though. I suppose he could be there to spy on her or maybe he's an incarnation of the Dark Lord to seduce her but it doesn't seem that way to me. I think all the teens are teens but all the witchy adults are much older than they seem.

Do we know exactly what the prophecy says? How is Sabrina crucial to the apocalypse?

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/29/2018 at 6:21 PM, Blue Plastic said:

The whole time I was wondering how Sabrina was supposed to be able to attend both schools at once.  Maybe the witch school is open for night hours?  How could a relatively small congregation provide enough resources and students to keep the thing open?  Why are Sabrina and maybe her parents the first ones to realize or even say anything about what a shitty system witches have?

We finally got an answer about when Sabrina is attending the academy in this episode! I don't think it answers all the questions about her schedule since her first few days at the academy were over a weekend (which is why she told Harvey that she was selling honey with Zelda), but I guess it's better than nothing.

Zelda: Today you'll go to school and you'll talk to your friends and you'll sit in class and answer questions. And then you'll go to the Academy. Then you'll come home and we'll eat supper together. And then you'll go to bed.

Share this post


Link to post

So I watched the first 10 episodes and the more I got into the show the more I enjoyed it. Once they got into the Mining accident I was entrenched in the show and the dark character development for several of the characters. Yeah, the show is dark but that is what I expected with it. I am looking forward to the next 10 episodes. Does anyone know when they will be available on Netflix?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/29/2018 at 7:26 PM, theatremouse said:

I wanted to love this show but from the start I just didn't like the character Sabrina herself, and the finale did nothing to help that. It made it worse.

 

On 10/31/2018 at 10:20 AM, GaT said:

I can't decide if I liked this show or not. I think part of the problem is that I don't really like Sabrina, she seems kind of obnoxious to me.

I liked everything about this except for Sabrina.  I just found her to be so judgey and self-righteous the entire season.  So unlikeable.  The best part was when Ambrose railed into her about why she expected the rules to apply to everyone but her.  

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I liked everything about this except for Sabrina.  I just found her to be so judgey and self-righteous the entire season.  So unlikeable.  The best part was when Ambrose railed into her about why she expected the rules to apply to everyone but her.  

I didn't care for her for these reasons too. Then I thought, eh, she's acting pretty much like a typical, pretty, spoiled upper middle class white teenager who isn't used to serious consequences and thinks she can do whatever she wants because up till now, she could. 

I am pretty much rooting for Madame Satan to completely corrupt her because that would actually make her more interesting. 

I found myself preferring all the witch stuff over the boring high school drama stuff. I hope season two leans more towards the witch side. 

Madame Satan and Ambrose are my two favorite characters. 

Harvey and the two high school friends whose names I don't even want to bother remembering are my least favorite. I don't like the Weird Sisters, but at least they are campy entertaining, the two friends are just...there. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×