Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: Three Shirts to the Wind

Airs 10/18/2018

Murphy and the team consider the benefits and drawbacks of accepting the first interview with a former White House senior advisor who plans on promoting his controversial book; Avery moderates a passionate political discussion on his show.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

But I did like her nod to her role on "Cagney and Lacy."

I did too. Had no real issue from her overall. 

11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That got a chuckle from me! I’m loving this show. I already hate Diana. I hope we don’t see too much of her.

But Jim was great. And Murphy was awesome.

I continue to love the son and mother relationship between Avery and Murphy.

Word. As for Diana, I think she's meant to be that kind of person. I hope we don't either.

Definitely.

Same here. They do a great job with filling that out.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 13

It really isn't comedy as much as it's commentary...that came from my Mom...Loved the Cagney reference...but as much as I love seeing Jim, I really just wanted one "People! What would Edward R. Murrow think??"

..and I am sorry, I do not buy that Miles would want that guy on his show...ratings or not..the Miles of the old show would have stood up to the network...

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, AEMom said:

I loved her takedown of Shannon.  Classic Murphy! 

I really love Avery and Murphy together and I realized this episode what it is that I like so much.  She is a hard nosed badass, but with her son, she can be goofy and silly (like with the dance mix) and she loves him to death. He can do no wrong in her eyes and she always encourages him.  That's the sign of a great mother.  Excellent writing to portray this relationship. 

Avery and Murphy are the best part of the show. I would like Avery to work with Murphy on her show even though they are both liberal the generation gap still exists. Murphy was right when she said she was glad cell phones weren't invented when she was younger. 

• Love 13

I’m clearly in the minority because I didn’t care for this episode at all.  Too preachy, as is becoming the pattern, and it was unrealistic to think that Murphy’s attack, however sharp and clever, would’ve really had much of an impact on the writer, who’s surely heard it all before.  I also didn’t care for Jim’s appearance.  Meanwhile, again in the minority, while I don’t like the character of Diana, I LOVE Merle Dandridge and would love to see more of her.

• Love 4

I have mixed feelings about Jim's appearance. I'll just say I'm glad he was feeling up to doing it. And the flirting with Phyllis was kind of cute. However, the only thing I laughed at was the preview for next week. (I can really relate.) 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I have mixed feelings about Jim's appearance. I'll just say I'm glad he was feeling up to doing it.

Ditto.  I was hoping he would have been in more than that scene at Phil's.  Wouldn't have someone invited him to the studio for a tour/introductions?  Invite him to dinner?  Hear more about what he'd been up to besides that boat ride?  Not even a mention of missing Doris?  I do admit it was amusing how he was flirting with Phyllis.

Had an issue with the integrity angle about not having the controversial writer on the show - if the execs upstairs tell you to do it, you do it.  Sure, they are correct about integrity and giving credibility to him if they had agreed, but it's true that if they don't have him on their show, he'll be making the rounds on the other morning shows as a matter of course.  

For a  change it was nice to see Avery doing his show, but I was disappointed in the melee that followed.     It just wasn't funny.

I was hoping Avery would at some point talk about moving into a place of his own.  At 28, he should be looking into moving into a bachelor pad.  

Why is Murphy whining about being at work at 4am?  You work a morning TV news show which likely airs at 6 or 7am, so getting up at 3-4am and getting on set by 5am is part and parcel of the job.  She had to know this.  

The confrontation with the guy in Phil's was very much classic Murphy (not to mention getting it recorded and posted online).

“I just got that what’s going on underneath all that clothing is an old white guy who’s scared of losing his place at the table.  You and your friends are all dinosaurs.."

Straight white males becoming extinct?  Doesn't that include Avery? 

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2

Why is Murphy whining about being at work at 4am?  You work a morning TV news show which likely airs at 6 or 7am, so getting up at 3-4am and getting on set by 5am is part and parcel of the job.  She had to know this.  

When I last worked, I had to be at work at 8 AM, I knew that, I still bitched about it every morning when I got up and went. I am not a morning person, it's also part and parcel of working. Best part of retirement, staying up til 1 or 2 AM, getting up whenever I darn well please...actually I have a dog that wants out at dawn, he goes out for an hour or so, he comes back in, eats and we go back to bed.

I was happy to see Jim, I enjoyed his flirting with Phyllis and I enjoyed her references to Cagney and Lacey. There were several lines in the show that made me laugh, one from Corky and one from Miles, but I didn't write them down and now I can't remember. I'll have to see the episode again. And I liked Murphy's take down of the writer, that was pretty much the Murphy I remember.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

And then, of course, JIM!  Phyllis as the new Doris?  (I love Miles’s “What is happening?”)  I need a "Slugger" and “Oh, good lord.”  (At least I finally got an “Oh, God” from Miles.)  But his false equivalency objection was enough for now.  “You don’t have to give equal time to someone who claims Tom Hanks is running a shadow government.”

He DID call her Slugger! It was really fast, but he did it! 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love that she keeps on her behind-the-desk pants with her upper outfit and heels.

Sadly, I don’t think those were “behind-the-desk” pants.  There seems to be a new trend for women to wear sweatpants with a stripe on the side as regular pants, with heels.  I’ve seen Sunny and Meghan do it on The View.  Happily, I haven’t seen it in real life yet.  But my first thought when seeing the outfit was “Not you too, Murphy!”

9 hours ago, TomGirl said:

I’m clearly in the minority because I didn’t care for this episode at all.  Too preachy, as is becoming the pattern, and it was unrealistic to think that Murphy’s attack, however sharp and clever, would’ve really had much of an impact on the writer, who’s surely heard it all before.  I also didn’t care for Jim’s appearance.  Meanwhile, again in the minority, while I don’t like the character of Diana, I LOVE Merle Dandridge and would love to see more of her.

Well, I guess you are in a minority of two.  This show is just not working for me.  Preachy is the word, all right.   So cliché.   I didn't feel that Murphy's confrontation was sharp or clever.  I noticed the people in the background at the bar were paying no attention to them, whatsoever.  One thing - I will say that the wardrobe on the characters is fabulous.  In any case, I think I'm out, just a waste of time.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Well, I guess you are in a minority of two.  This show is just not working for me.  Preachy is the word, all right.   So cliché.   I didn't feel that Murphy's confrontation was sharp or clever.  I noticed the people in the background at the bar were paying no attention to them, whatsoever.  One thing - I will say that the wardrobe on the characters is fabulous.  In any case, I think I'm out, just a waste of time.

Perhaps it's a generational thing.  The original Murphy Brown (which I was old enough to watch...and loved) was ALL about commenting on the political climate of that day.  It's what the show does, it's who Murphy Brown is.  This is precisely why the show works for me.  The people in the background were at the bar for drinks or food.  I didn't expect them to stop what they were doing, forks in mid-air, to catch what was intended as a private conversation. 

While I appreciate Diane English bringing in the producer-as-network-bitch character, I cannot stand her.  She's too young to hold that position.  Her "I'm all that" persona is a total cliche.  If she were a person and not a character on a TV show, I'd be wishing for real life to hurry up and punch her in the gut a few times so she would learn some humanity.  (Sigh...Where are Garry Marshall and Lily Tomlin when we need them?)

• Love 19

Having seen a lot of the old show, I'm liking this well enough.  But what was the big deal with the guy's three shirts?  Is this based on some real person?  I don't have cable so I haven't seen many of the people they have mentioned.

10 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Avery and Murphy are the best part of the show. I would like Avery to work with Murphy on her show even though they are both liberal the generation gap still exists. Murphy was right when she said she was glad cell phones weren't invented when she was younger.

I just watched the ep on the CBS app. I have a bit of “the creeping crud” (upper respiratory thing) right now & I fell asleep before it was on. I enjoyed it, but thought maybe Jim was a little stilted in his delivery, or something (shrugs); still, it was good to see him back with the gang.

Murphy actually said she was glad smartphones (specifically—the cellphones with all the bells & whistles, including videography capability), not just cellphones in general (which didn’t originally have bells & whistles like videography capability & were just plain, boring telephones that could just—barely—make calls & take messages, hopefully), weren’t invented when she was drinking (implying there could’ve been worse, more embarrassing, videos of her taken unbeknownst to her & posted on the internet—which apparently didn’t exist/barely existed when she was drinking—if it had been around/been as big of a presence in most people’s lives as it is now when she was drinking).

By the way... Tyne’s last name is spelled DALY. There are no I’s or E’s in it. For us old time TV watchers here, Tyne’s father was the late, fairly legendary actor James Daly (he co-starred with the late Chad Everett on the 1970’s CBS medical drama Medical Center); her brother is actor Tim (Timothy) Daly, from NBC’s Wings & the current CBS show Madam Secretary; she was also formerly married to actor/director Georg Stanford Brown of The Rookies & the original Roots & Roots: The Next Generations miniseries.

I thought the shoutout to Tyne’s Cagney & Lacey role was funny too.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove excessive italics.
  • Love 8
54 minutes ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

(Sigh...Where are Garry Marshall and Lily Tomlin when we need them?)

Well, Garry Marshall died two years ago, so that guest appearance isn't happening, sadly. :'( 

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

Perhaps it's a generational thing.  The original Murphy Brown (which I was old enough to watch...and loved) was ALL about commenting on the political climate of that day.  It's what the show does, it's who Murphy Brown is.  This is precisely why the show works for me.  The people in the background were at the bar for drinks or food.  I didn't expect them to stop what they were doing, forks in mid-air, to catch what was intended as a private conversation. 

I watched & enjoyed the original.  It was preachy, too, but it didn't bother me at the time.  Maybe it was less "in your face"?.  I haven't seen old episodes in years, so I don't know if I would still like it.  

Regarding the people in the background:  Two well known people are having an argument at the bar, you wouldn't have a look?

The Cagney & Lacey mention wasn't cute, either.  It was an eye-rolling moment.  Oh, and "slugger" - have they covered everything now?  Perhaps, there will be reference to Pookie next time.

Edited by Tanichka
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, stonehaven said:

..and I am sorry, I do not buy that Miles would want that guy on his show...ratings or not..the Miles of the old show would have stood up to the network...

They established that Miles had a breakdown. He's not that Miles anymore. Hopefully he finds that guy deep inside him but right now he's not him.

That's one of the subtle things I love about this show - we truly picked up a few decades later. The characters have been through some shit during that time and it reflects in their personality. I'd be disappointed if what we see now is exactly what we saw then.

• Love 16
7 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

1 hour ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

I watched & enjoyed the original.  It was preachy, too, but it didn't bother me at the time.  Maybe it was less "in your face"?.  I haven't seen old episodes in years, so I don't know if I would still like it.  

I also watched - and liked - the original.  That was before the days of Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Bill Maher, etc. so maybe it felt fresher.  Also, there was plenty of other stuff going on and being discussed besides politics, including the characters’ friendships with each other and their relationships with significant others.  The remake feels like a tired one-trick pony to me so far, but I’m hoping it will flesh out over time.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

While I appreciate Diane English bringing in the producer-as-network-bitch character, I cannot stand her.  She's too young to hold that position.  Her "I'm all that" persona is a total cliche.  If she were a person and not a character on a TV show, I'd be wishing for real life to hurry up and punch her in the gut a few times so she would learn some humanity. (Sigh...Where are Garry Marshall and Lily Tomlin when we need them?)

I think the network executive character was perhaps based, at least a little, on this woman, Channing Dungey. But I don’t think she’s as big a bitch as Diana is/was. At least I haven’t heard anything about her being a bitch. She’s been the President of ABC Entertainment since 2016 & is still under age 50.

As for Garry Marshall & Lily Tomlin, Garry passed on in July, 2016 at age 81.

Lily is currently starring—with Jane Fonda, Martin Sheen & Sam Waterston—in the Netflix original series Grace & Frankie (she plays Frankie & has been nominated for an Emmy for the role for all 4 seasons of the show, so far). The show is a Netflix original, but is also available on YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Google Play Movies & TV, & Vudu.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.
  • Love 2

I'm okay with the Diana character. They need an antagonist and the actress is good. Most sitcom characters start out one dimensional anyway. (And every workplace has the young, slightly obnoxious, on the way up executive.)  

I used to love Murphy's rants and am glad CB can still pull them off. I kind of wish Miles had been the one to pull out his phone and record it though. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I kind of wish Miles had been the one to pull out his phone and record it though. 

I kind of thought he was the one who did it.  Do we know for sure it wasn’t him?

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

I kind of thought he was the one who did it.  Do we know for sure it wasn’t him?

Actually it could have been.  Remember he stayed in the background while they argued.  He knew what was going on and could have recorded it so that he has the best of both worlds:  Murphy gets her showdown while the guy remains off the show.

I also noticed Frank ranted about Nazis again.  When did this become a thing for the character?  I’m aware it happened in the first episode of the season but it was never there before.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I also noticed Frank ranted about Nazis again.  When did this become a thing for the character?  I’m aware it happened in the first episode of the season but it was never there before.

Nazis weren’t described as “good people” before, either.

1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

Maybe because Nazis are a 'thing' now and they weren't during the original run? Or more specifically having to explain that Nazis are not good or fine people was not a 'thing' during the original run. It was understood that Nazis are bad and one should not want to be one.

Or what @theredhead77 said.

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

I was watching him in the background specifically looking to see where his hands were and it didn't seem like it but easy enough for the show to claim it was if they decide to go with it later. 

• Love 1

Was it me or did Jim only have a 15 second cameo? I had the feeling that if you blinked, you would miss him.

There were interviews that Murphy did in the original series that she didn't agree on but did them anyways and humiliated them on tv and got her point across.

Has there been any mention of Corky's husband? I have been waiting for them to say if he died or divorced him.  I always felt she and Miles would make a cute couple.

Best scenes are between Avery and Murphy.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Has there been any mention of Corky's husband? I have been waiting for them to say if he died or divorced him.  I always felt she and Miles would make a cute couple.

Corky divorced Will midway through the original show's run. She and Miles actually eloped sometime after that (and then he left her when Grant Shaud left the show), but that marriage has apparently been retconned. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I haven't been really into this reboot so far but I thought this one was pretty good. Although I did suspect someone was filming the confrontation at the bar and it would go viral on the internet. I hate to think Miles did it though.

I just think politics are much uglier and the country is much more divided than it was 20 years ago. The hostility each side has for each other is cranked up to eleven. Political disagreements back then didn't escalate into the sort of riots we see today. Moderates generally were the norm then whereas extremists are now. The reboot of this show is trying to accomplish the same thing it did 20 years ago but it's tackling subjects that are ten times more divisive than anything we saw 20 years ago. And I think that's why it feels more "preachy." 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I never said they were.  I just wondered why Frank is suddenly "triggererd" by the term.  He never was before, and I've barely seen any of the Frank we used to know.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because it's 4:00 a.m.? 

She hated it the first time around, when she and Corky had to fill in.  And now she's older when this is her daily schedule.  (Which also older Corky is no longer perky about.)  She gets that it's the nature of the new job and thus does it, but with grumbling; she's not surprised by it, she's just "holy crap, this is painfully early" about it as are most people who work a more typical schedule for a long time and then have to adjust to one that begins well before dawn.

Yeah, I didn't get the sense that Murphy was surprised by her schedule, just that she thought it sucked (which, real talk: it does). And I'm in Avery's generation and a fitness enthusiast. I work out 5-7 days a week. I went for a great run yesterday (thank you, autumn, for finally showing up!). But if I had to get up at 3 AM, my workouts would all be at noon when I was done for the day, not before work. I would allot exactly the amount of time it took to get up and out the door, and I would not get up a second earlier.

I laughed at Murphy's mom dancing next to Avery on the couch. That was cute, and something my mom would do.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, man. Murphy's entire response to Shannon in that scene at the bar, and Jim's comments about false equivalency earlier in the episode. Yes. Just...yes. That was perfect. 

Also liked seeing Avery at work interviewing people. 

I agree. It was fun to see Avery's show and I hope we see more of it.

14 hours ago, stonehaven said:

It really isn't comedy as much as it's commentary...that came from my Mom...Loved the Cagney reference...but as much as I love seeing Jim, I really just wanted one "People! What would Edward R. Murrow think??"

Same here. I love Jim and I was dissapointed with his appearance. Hopefully they will make better use of the character in his other appearances on this series. 

14 hours ago, Affogato said:

murphy’s rant at Shannon was inspired. Again she’s the internet’s darling. She should also guest on avery’s show  

I don't see Murphy agreeing to appear on the Wolf network, but I love the idea of Avery and Murphy co-hosting something or working on some type of project together. 

14 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

"I wish Jim were here."

Cue Jim walking in. CLUNK.

I agree. It felt like something from a 1970s sitcom. It just didn't work for me at all. I had the same feeling about the crane shot of Murphy and Avery that ended with the episode. It just felt too sitcomy, and I love sitcoms. That specific shot felt like something from a cheesy 1980s family sitcom. 

14 hours ago, AEMom said:

I loved her takedown of Shannon.  Classic Murphy! 

I really love Avery and Murphy together and I realized this episode what it is that I like so much.  She is a hard nosed badass, but with her son, she can be goofy and silly (like with the dance mix) and she loves him to death. He can do no wrong in her eyes and she always encourages him.  That's the sign of a great mother.  Excellent writing to portray this relationship. 

Yes to both. The couch scenes with Avery and Murphy are great and I hope we see more of them. 

And now to take a dip into the shallow the end of the pool. If they keep putting Avery in those tight t-shirts when he's relaxing at home, I will be very happy. 

• Love 4

1 HOUR AGO, GHSCORPIOSRULE SAID:

I never said they were.  I just wondered why Frank is suddenly "triggererd" by the term.  He never was before, and I've barely seen any of the Frank we used to know.

I don't think anyone here said that anyone on here said Nazis are good people. It has been a statement sort of uttered by some very high up government official, it's a little altered from the original quote, but I won't go there. Frank is more triggered by Nazis because they are more active and out and proud. I am more triggered by Nazis for that reason. I was born a few years after WWII, and my father was deaf, so he did not serve in the military, but I had several uncles who did, during WWII. The Nazis have never gone away entirely, they kept to themselves and were hidden, but in the last 20 years or so have become more active and more out and proud. So many reasons and this is not a place to discuss all of the disaffected people of this country and exactly why there is so much division, anger and yes, probably hatred. There are other places for those discussions, it's all over FB all the time, it depends on your friends and what groups you follow and are involved in.

• Love 11

I quite enjoyed the jokes about Steve Bannon's triple-shirts and safari jackets (and splotchy face). He deserves it. Otherwise, while there are some clever moments, nothing is really laugh-out-loud funny to me. I get the nostalgia factor, but I honestly think the reboot would've better been served as a single-cam. The pressure to have a BIG PUNCHLINE a few times a minute just isn't working -- what are the laugh track folks even laughing at? The show has good dramatic moments and I think it would be better if it were allowed to luxuriate in those a little more without the pressure of making the audience crack up. Plus the clever stuff could be clever and we wouldn't have to worry about whether or not laugh lines were landing.

• Love 5

Oh also, maybe I don't watch that many viral videos but I actually feel like I see a fair amount (not really a YouTube comber, but I'm on Twitter a lot!). Are there really THAT many dance remixes of viral videos? I swear EVERY time a TV show has someone's moment go viral, there's also a stupid dance remix. I feel like I've almost never actually seen that. Sure, occasionally something with a cute animal set to music, but not a dance remix.

• Love 1