Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Witness Marks

• Start Topic

A familiar terror revisits Shirley and Theo on Halloween night as Hugh and Steve go looking for Luke, who disappeared on a deadly errand.

Edited by 17wheatthins
Fixed season/episode tag
23 hours ago, HollyG said:

Ok, who else jumped?  I'm pretty sure I let out a blood curdling scream too! 

I totally jumped and screamed! Was not expecting that at all!

Both conversations were so great to me, and quite moving.  Every episode is a gut punch.

• Love 7
On 14/10/2018 at 7:11 PM, non sequitur said:

Both conversations were so great to me, and quite moving.  Every episode is a gut punch.

I loved the conversation with Steven and his dad, where his dad tells him about the clock repair man etc - all the things Steven saw that he didn't realize were hauntings.

• Love 24

Loved the jump scare moment! 

Ok, can’t be just me, did anyone make an E.T. movie connection again in this episode?

I think Henry Thomas getting his hand sliced by the fan was a reference to Elliot slicing his finger and E.T. magically healed it.  Cause when he injured his hand in Hill House, no friendly other worldly entity was going to heal his wounds this time around!

Theo’s emotional confession was pretty well acted!

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

Loved the jump scare moment! 

Ok, can’t be just me, did anyone make an E.T. movie connection again in this episode?

I think Henry Thomas getting his hand sliced by the fan was a reference to Elliot slicing his finger and E.T. magically healed it.  Cause when he injured his hand in Hill House, no friendly other worldly entity was going to heal his wounds this time around!

Theo’s emotional confession was pretty well acted!

I had several jump scare moments. I even had a jump scare when Shirley's phone rang after the bangings on the doors and windows of the funeral home.  Big major jump scare at the end when that Poppy lady grabbed Luke from behind. I think this is the scariest episode for me. Oh, and another jump scare with that screaming ghost in the car with Shirley and Theo. Was that Nell?  So good and I don't really want it to end. Only 2 more episodes left for me.  

And I know the oldest sister's name is Shirley, but everytime her siblings call her by name it sounds like they are saying Cheryl.  

• Love 7
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, TexasGal said:

I loved the conversation with Steven and his dad, where his dad tells him about the clock repair man etc - all the things Steven saw that he didn't realize were hauntings.

It was kinda freaky when Steven's dad told him that he never built him and Luke a treehouse. 

• Love 22
1 hour ago, BeeBop88 said:

I had several jump scare moments. I even had a jump scare when Shirley's phone rang after the bangings on the doors and windows of the funeral home.  Big major jump scare at the end when that Poppy lady grabbed Luke from behind. I think this is the scariest episode for me. Oh, and another jump scare with that screaming ghost in the car with Shirley and Theo. Was that Nell?  So good and I don't really want it to end. Only 2 more episodes left for me.  

And I know the oldest sister's name is Shirley, but everytime her siblings call her by name it sounds like they are saying Cheryl.  

My closed captions show they're saying, "Shirl".

Also, our reaction was so big, we woke up our child. Lol! 

Edited by rachel is awesome
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Wow, he didn't tell his wife that he'd had a vasectomy. He let her think all those years, that they would have their own family. He mentioned it in the first episode. No wonder she left. 

I'd assumed that Theo saw the way Nell died - I thought that was what she was talking about at first, when she said she saw their mum. Of course, it was when she saw her crawling on the floor. I understand her wanting to touch the husband now - someone who wasn't grieving as much as the others. 

• Love 4

Very nice work in this episode from Timothy Hutton & the actress who plays grown-up Theo.

Lots of effective scares as well - the sound when the knocking on the door and windows of the funeral home was happening was great! I kept expecting to see something horrifying in the vanity mirror that Steve had fixed up for his Mom, but they placed the jump scares elsewhere!

I'm having trouble distinguishing the various female ghouls who keep appearing. Who was the spook who Theo and her Dad saw in the funeral home previous episode? Who was riding in the car with  Shirley and Theo? Was that supposed to be Nell? Was that Poppy who grabbed poor Luke at the end? Poor Luke - out of all the siblings, he's the only one who gets repeatedly physically assaulted by multiple ghouls! Under those circumstances, I'd be a big-time junkie too.

Oh, and hey, Steve! You're still an ass. An even bigger one than before.

• Love 3
On 10/13/2018 at 8:27 PM, HollyG said:

OK - quick bitch about Nell coming to them in the car. How does the ghost of your dead sister scream at you and make you drive off the road nearly into a damn ditch AND YOU DON'T DISCUSS IT? Did Shirl NOT see/hear Nell screaming and only Theo did, who screamed and made Shirl drive off the road? I'm going to have to rewatch this episode, but did they just brush it off like it was normal and then have Theo go into her long-assed monologue?

• Love 9
6 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

OK - quick bitch about Nell coming to them in the car. How does the ghost of your dead sister scream at you and make you drive off the road nearly into a damn ditch AND YOU DON'T DISCUSS IT? Did Shirl NOT see/hear Nell screaming and only Theo did, who screamed and made Shirl drive off the road? I'm going to have to rewatch this episode, but did they just brush it off like it was normal and then have Theo go into her long-assed monologue?

No Theo did start yelling about seeing her to begin with but yes then she went into the monologue.  You'd think they'd be a bit hesitant to get back in the car though. Look in the backseat or something?

And yes I jumped and screamed when Nell showed. I haven't done that in years watching tv. Well done show. 

And I randomly horrifyingly thought this while showering today after my workout.... If they weren't in a tree house WHERE WERE THEY? Oh god...were they in the red room?

I wanted to finish this show before dark but have to go meet friends for dinner. Oh well I guess another night of sleeping with the bedroom light on.

• Love 10

Oh, I screamed. Actually gasped and jumped back. Good Christ its been ages since a jump scare got me that hard! The car one got me, but the last one with Luke in the house got a jump from me too. 

I suspected the guy fixing the clock might be a ghost (his outfit seemed pretty old timie for the 80s) but it slowly sinking in for Steve that he witnessed so many hauntings that were so common that he didnt even realize what he saw was also super creepy. No wonder his marriage is on the rocks, he really is a crappy husband. How could he just not tell his wife, who he knew wanted kids, that he already had a vasectomy? Thats seriously messed up. 

All the car conversations were a great mix of poinient and creepy, especially as Hugh is trying to explain to Steve what the house really is and what it could do to Luke if he tries to destroy it, and how so much of what he remembers isnt really what happened. And that freaking jump scare!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TipseyGirl said:

Is the "game room" not real? Both Nelly and Steven have mentioned it to Mrs. Dudley who always responds with, "Where??".

I caught that too. I wonder how much of what we have seen at all is real at this point. 

• Love 5
On 10/13/2018 at 8:27 PM, HollyG said:

I had my remote in my hand so I jumped and tried to hit pause and accidentally hit the rewind button instead. So, goddamn it, I had to see that car jump scare again! I at least I muted it that second time!

But I still have no idea whether that was mom or Nell. The neck was straight, so I think mom. It seems to me that mom is always screaming while Nell is always silent just staring. 

On 10/20/2018 at 12:46 AM, BeeBop88 said:

Since you brought up the name thing. I’ve been binge watching just over a few days so I’m not sure what episode this was. But at one point they called Nelly Janelle, but then in the next episode and henceforth they’ve said her full name is Elenor.

Ok, even I knew that old timey clock guy was a ghost—especially the way the camera lingered on him. But I’ve also been convinced through this entire series that the housekeeper or whoever that lady is in the past is also a ghost. She knows too much about all of the inhabitants—she’s not THAT old—and just acts strange. Poppy was there at Nelly’s visit to the house, but she was in all of her beauty like the picture. Luke didn’t get quite the same reception there! Gasoline didn’t do much but piss off the house—just like dad warned!

Strong soliloquies from both dad about the witness marks on the clocks and from Theo about not feeling anything after touching Nelly. The way she recoiled. I thought she felt everything—so it was a cool twist that nothingness was worse than the horror/tragedy that she could have felt if it was in the last moments of Nell’s life.

So, what’s with the black mold? I’m going with that it’s more like the circulatory system of the house with the red room as the heart. Even the mom’s blueprints (which she drew during a spell) had those lines all through it. It was puzzle piece-like drawings the shape of the forever home, but it also looked like veins and capillaries.

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 5
On 24/10/2018 at 4:33 PM, TipseyGirl said:

Is the "game room" not real? Both Nelly and Steven have mentioned it to Mrs. Dudley who always responds with, "Where??".

My thought about this is maybe it's the Red Room? Maybe they have been heading into the Red Room this entire time but they don't know it.

What a fascinating episode. That jump scare did get me. Though I knew there was a jump scare, I didn't know when it would happen until it did. Nicely placed and then it led into a fantastic monologue from Theo. I did think she had seen something when she touched Nell, but it turns out it was much worse for her. Her explanation about her moment with Kevin makes sense. I knew, when we saw the moment, that there was going to be more. I just didn't expect that.

Shirley is one of the weaker characters for me and I'm struggling to really like her, even as she's being screwed with by the ghosts. Most of the kids have had their really big moment. Theo had her monologue here, Luke had his speech at his 90 days meeting, Nell had her really big episode, but Steven and Shirley haven't had one really big moment that made me really pay attention to them, and certainly not in their own episodes. So I wonder when both will finally accept reality that their lives are so different from everyone else's. 

Steven's still an ass, but I was freaked out about Hugh telling his son that some of the things he thought were real during his time in Hill House weren't real. It's good to know that all the kids experienced ghosts and reality warping and illusions, since I wasn't sure how much Steven really saw. And it seems like Steve's assholeness over the years has the house the most angry at him, as he heads straight into the line of fire. Well, maybe going to the house will open his eyes to everything and force him out of his denial.

Poor Luke. He's sober, he's clean, but he lost his sister, and then tried to burn down the house that haunts his family. Then the house responds with a big fat nope and then someone (Poppy?) grabs Luke. I don't even know what's going to happen but with the entire Crain family heading to Hill House, I bet it's nothing good. I do like not knowing exactly what the outcome is going to be. I knew all of them would make it to the house and I assume Shirley and Steve will finally believe everything in the next two episodes, but at what cost? 

I do think Hugh may sacrifice himself for his family in the next two episodes, which does make me sad because he's been growing on me. I just worry about the other kids, especially Luke.

• Love 3
On 10/26/2018 at 8:51 PM, JenE4 said:

But I’ve also been convinced through this entire series that the housekeeper or whoever that lady is in the past is also a ghost. She knows too much about all of the inhabitants—she’s not THAT old—and just acts strange.

I agree. Her physical appearance seems like she could be from anytime from the 1930s to the 1950s or even earlier. She reminds me of the characters in The Others, the movie with Nicole Kidman. She talks about "Mr. Dudley", but the guy we assume is Mr. Dudley (who talked with the dad about the corpse in the basement wall) looks more modern and down-to-earth.

Theo's monologue about Nell/death just wrecked me. This show is so good.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5
On 10/14/2018 at 8:11 PM, non sequitur said:

Or a boob punch.

(The freshest, most genuine moment in the series so far: "Did you just punch me in the boob?"  "Yes I did.  You kiss my husband, you get punched in the boob.")

• Love 15
On 10/22/2018 at 9:52 PM, Dobian said:

So Steve married his wife under false pretenses, didn't tell her he'd had a vasectomy when he knew she wanted kids, continued the ruse into visits to the fertility doctor because he didn't want to "hurt her feelings."  This has to be the biggest asshole d-bag I've ever seen on tv.

Seriously, adult Steven is a huge d-bag.  This is especially true since there is no reason he has to pass on his "messed up" genes in order to have children.  I actually don't fault him for having the concern of passing on mental illness with an apparent suicide and a drug addict in the family, but I know a couple that chose to use a sperm donor even though there was nothing wrong with the man's sperm, because he had a potentially inheritable condition they didn't want to risk passing on.  There is no reason for him not to tell Leigh that he's infertile (even if he fibbed about the reason why it would be bad but forgivable) and suggest either using a sperm donor or adoption if the passing on his genes is his only hesitation in having kids.  If he doesn't want kids at all that's fine, but it seems Leigh made it clear she wanted kids before they were married and if he didn't he should have told her that.  To allow someone to try and get pregnant for over two years and play along up to the point of going to doctors is beyond cruel.  And even if he had his reasons, I'm not sure that's something that could be forgiven.

*Edited to add* It seems funny to me but Steve might actually be the most messed up of the kids besides Luke, despite supposedly seeing the least. Shirley may be wound up tighter than a drum, but she lives a relatively normal life. And seemed to be happily married. Theo is probably the most well adjusted as she is at least aware of how screwed up she is, even if causal sex isn't the healthiest way to cope. And until her husband death Nell seemed to be a functional member of society whose only issue was sleep paralysis and night terrors. And even Luke despite picking possibly the worst coping mechanism in drugs at least was trying to cope. Steve insists on keeping everything bundled up and pushing people away to the point of lying to his wife about his fertility.  I think he might be the only legitimately crazy member of the Crain family. 

Edited by Proclone
  • Love 13
On 10/28/2018 at 12:09 AM, millennium said:

(The freshest, most genuine moment in the series so far: "Did you just punch me in the boob?"  "Yes I did.  You kiss my husband, you get punched in the boob.")

For me too - very much a "normal" sister interaction.

I really am having trouble telling ghost Nell and ghost Olivia apart. I think it was Nell in the car, and mom at the top of the stairs with Luke? I liked the lights all coming on when he pulled up outside the house just like Nell, but they seemed more orange/sinister with him vs. kind of warm with Nell. I was kind of expecting something to happen when he threw the lighter and nothing caught fire.

I also like Hugh describing the family as an "unfinished meal" for the house, very disturbing......I think this was my favorite episode so far.....

• Love 5
On 10/13/2018 at 5:27 PM, HollyG said:

Haha, I totally jumped and involuntarily held my breath; when I was able to to catch it I let out a nervous laugh and I believe my exact quote was "holy fuck, that was awesome!". Of course, it didn't hurt/help that I watched it just after midnight on Hallowe'en and when the knocking at the funeral home was going on something/someone started knocking against the glass railing outside my apartment, lol!

On 10/19/2018 at 11:08 PM, rachel is awesome said:

that screaming ghost in the car with Shirley and Theo. Was that Nell?

On 10/26/2018 at 5:51 PM, JenE4 said:

I still have no idea whether that was mom or Nell. The neck was straight, so I think mom.

No, it was Nell; that scream was exactly the same scream the "bent neck lady" gave the first time Nell saw her as a little girl, before we knew it was her dead self she'd been seeing all along. Theo's breakdown afterward and her explanation of what happened when she touched Nell was a fantastically brilliant and gut-wrenchingly heartbreaking piece of acting and storytelling; I hope they send it in for Emmy consideration because Kate Siegel deserves it.

Also, I forgot to add that we've also seen ghost Nell standing straight, such as when Steve saw her in his apartment at the end of the first episode and when Hugh saw her at the funeral parlor.

Edited by Daltrey
added information
  • Love 7

I know others have said it, but I have to say it too--Steven is a total asshole! How inconsiderate, self-centered, and unloving do you have to be to marry a woman who you know wants kids, let her spend years thinking she's going to get pregnant, and then finally meet with a fertility doctor when you know all along you had a freaking vasectomy!?!? I have quite a few friends who have suffered with fertility issues, and I can't imagine a husband truly loving his wife and putting her through that on purpose. How cruel!  For what, over a decade she's thought something was wrong with her?  And if they hadn't required a sperm sample from him, was he going to let her endure fertility drugs (that have side effects)?  Also like someone else pointed out, he could have been upfront with her about his concerns of passing on his genes and given her the opportunity to use a sperm bank. If there's any happy ending to this story, I hope it includes Leigh getting pregnant to someone else (whether through sperm donorship or a hot lover) and divorcing Steve's selfish ass and soaking him for every cent he's got. 

Edited by Peanut6711
additional info
  • Love 3
On 10/21/2018 at 3:54 AM, Cheezwiz said:

Was that Poppy who grabbed poor Luke at the end?

Yes, that was Poppy--even though we haven't seen her much, I recognized her.

On 10/26/2018 at 8:51 PM, JenE4 said:

Ok, even I knew that old timey clock guy was a ghost—especially the way the camera lingered on him. But I’ve also been convinced through this entire series that the housekeeper or whoever that lady is in the past is also a ghost. She knows too much about all of the inhabitants—she’s not THAT old—and just acts strange. Poppy was there at Nelly’s visit to the house, but she was in all of her beauty like the picture. Luke didn’t get quite the same reception there! Gasoline didn’t do much but piss off the house—just like dad warned!

Strong soliloquies from both dad about the witness marks on the clocks and from Theo about not feeling anything after touching Nelly. The way she recoiled. I thought she felt everything—so it was a cool twist that nothingness was worse than the horror/tragedy that she could have felt if it was in the last moments of Nell’s life.

So, what’s with the black mold? I’m going with that it’s more like the circulatory system of the house with the red room as the heart. Even the mom’s blueprints (which she drew during a spell) had those lines all through it. It was puzzle piece-like drawings the shape of the forever home, but it also looked like veins and capillaries.

Agree with all this, though I'm still not sure if the housekeeper is a ghost or just someone who has been messed up by her experiences with the house. She does seem old-fashioned in dress and hairstyle.

Great theory about the black mold being the circulatory system with the red room as the heart!

On 11/1/2018 at 4:26 PM, Peanut6711 said:

I know others have said it, but I have to say it too--Steven is a total asshole! How inconsiderate, self-centered, and unloving do you have to be to marry a woman who you know wants kids, let her spend years thinking she's going to get pregnant, and then finally meet with a fertility doctor when you know all along you had a freaking vasectomy!?!? I have quite a few friends who have suffered with fertility issues, and I can't imagine a husband truly loving his wife and putting her through that on purpose. How cruel!  For what, over a decade she's thought something was wrong with her?  And if they hadn't required a sperm sample from him, was he going to let her endure fertility drugs (that have side effects)?  Also like someone else pointed out, he could have been upfront with her about his concerns of passing on his genes and given her the opportunity to use a sperm bank. If there's any happy ending to this story, I hope it includes Leigh getting pregnant to someone else (whether through sperm donorship or a hot lover) and divorcing Steve's selfish ass and soaking him for every cent he's got. 

I agree with you and others that Steve was selfish and inconsiderate, even cruel, in not telling his wife about the vasectomy. But I can't help having sympathy for him because he was traumatized by his past, including his mother's apparent suicide, the middle-of-the-night flight from the house, and his father's refusal to explain what really happened and apparent disappearance from their lives for some time. In light of Luke's addiction and Nelly's severe anxiety, I can understand his believing that mental illness runs in the family...or at least clinging to that belief because the truth would be worse. And I can understand his tendency to keep secrets, because that was what he learned from his childhood. But it was still absolutely wrong not to tell his wife about the vasectomy.

• Love 5

So I almost flew off my couch when Nell appeared in the car. My husband (who doesn't scare easily) was very amused by my reaction. He said I screamed out the F word several times but I don't even remember doing that. I had to pause the episode for at least 10 minutes before going back to it. 

• Love 8
On 11/5/2018 at 4:22 PM, MaggieG said:

So I almost flew off my couch when Nell appeared in the car. My husband (who doesn't scare easily) was very amused by my reaction. He said I screamed out the F word several times but I don't even remember doing that. I had to pause the episode for at least 10 minutes before going back to it. 

Girl, I DID fly off the couch. I scared the cat. It was a chain reaction of terror.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 10/24/2018 at 4:33 PM, TipseyGirl said:

The kids had a similar reaction when Olivia said she was going to her reading room. I actually thought, as I watched her in there, "She looks so settled in there, for someone who is just temporarily living there."  

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

The kids had a similar reaction when Olivia said she was going to her reading room. I actually thought, as I watched her in there, "She looks so settled in there, for someone who is just temporarily living there."  

Exactly. 

Spoiler

I have seen all the episodes and now understand why :-)

• Love 2

I've been watching horror movies since I was a wee one and I don't think anything has made me jump in over 40 years until Nell in the car. No screaming or anything but I did startle so kudos to the show for that!

This show has been excellent so far, can't wait to finish it but unfortunately I have to :(  I loved the scene with the dad telling Steve all the things he had actually seen.

• Love 3
On 10/13/2018 at 5:27 PM, HollyG said:

I just finished binging the series, and I jumped while accidentally throwing my tablet. Thank God I'm at my family's for.the holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• Love 2

I just got this episode watched over the weekend ( I've been really going slowly, because I'm enjoying them so much, but I guess I should just finish already ! ) and I really didn't jump at all when Nell popped up in the car, but at that exact second I happen to glance away from the tv screen, so maybe I cheated ( even though it wasn't on purpose.) Still, though, I'm not sure it would have startled me as much as it did the rest of you-- it's pretty rare for anything like that to affect me. Too many horror shows/movies over the years, I guess.

I did give a side-eye to the clock man, he just didn't look right, but I was stunned when Dad said the tree house wasn't real ! That never occurred to me, because it seemed so normal at the time. So what-- was Luke just outside sitting on the ground & he thought ( and Stephen thought also) that he was sitting in a tree house ? Or was he sitting on air, like 10 feet up, just floating on nothing ?? We probably won't ever know, but I do wonder how that worked !

I'm dreading the end of this because, as I mentioned, I really think it's been done well and I'm enjoying it a lot.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, willco said:

I did give a side-eye to the clock man, he just didn't look right, but I was stunned when Dad said the tree house wasn't real ! That never occurred to me, because it seemed so normal at the time. So what-- was Luke just outside sitting on the ground & he thought ( and Stephen thought also) that he was sitting in a tree house ? Or was he sitting on air, like 10 feet up, just floating on nothing ?? We probably won't ever know, but I do wonder how that worked !

You'll find out about the tree house.

• Love 2
On 11/1/2018 at 3:26 PM, Peanut6711 said:

Steven was so closed off and sanctimonious that not becoming a father may have been the better choice regardless of the fertility issue. Though of course he should have been upfront about it (and his reasons) to Leigh right from the beginning. If you have secrets regarding children that you can't trust your fiance with, you have no business getting married.

Edited by Bruinsfan