Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, Raja said:

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that, it could be like the Philippines and if the dad's family is in the better financial position then they take charge of the child even if no one goes to court to get a government enforced agreement.  Where as everywhere in the world there are the men who will pump and dump even if he impregnated the women no matter what most do in their parent society. It seems to me like sister/auntie may have missed their local marriage age window and she thought that she would be raising her nephew in lieu of her own child. Then Eric showed up

@iwasish, I agree with @Raja‘s point above. In many places (even in 2018) if a marriage ends, a woman may get a settlement but the husband and his family maintain legal custody of the children (hence no child support). For people that aren’t married when the child is born, what happens socially vs mandated by the courts are two very different things. In most cultures, if a man is wealthy he’s expected to support his children (if he’s married to the Mom or not). If a married man has a child with his mistress, the mistress is often given a settlement and the child is given to the wife or the man’s extended family to raise so that the woman doesn’t have the financial burden or social taboo of being a single Mom. So no I don’t think in Indonesia is a strange place where men don’t support their children, like anywhere else there are always going to be deadbeats, but “court ordered child support” based on a percentage of the man’s income and direct deposited into the mom’s checking account isn’t a cultural norm. 

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

@iwasish, I agree with @Raja‘s point above. In many places (even in 2018) if a marriage ends, a woman may get a settlement but the husband and his family maintain legal custody of the children (hence no child support). For people that aren’t married when the child is born, what happens socially vs mandated by the courts are two very different things. In most cultures, if a man is wealthy he’s expected to support his children (if he’s married to the Mom or not). If a married man has a child with his mistress, the mistress is often given a settlement and the child is given to the wife or the man’s extended family to raise so that the woman doesn’t have the financial burden or social taboo of being a single Mom. So no I don’t think in Indonesia is a strange place where men don’t support their children, like anywhere else there are always going to be deadbeats, but “court ordered child support” based on a percentage of the man’s income and direct deposited into the mom’s checking account isn’t a cultural norm. 

It just seems that Eric is so sure he’s going to adopt this child, doesn’t he need to have the bio dad sign away his parental rights? I don’t see why he wants to take on that legal and financial burden if he is struggling to pay child support for his daughters. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, iwasish said:

It just seems that Eric is so sure he’s going to adopt this child, doesn’t he need to have the bio dad sign away his parental rights? I don’t see why he wants to take on that legal and financial burden if he is struggling to pay child support for his daughters. 

We think that the K-2 has been issued and the father's family allowed the travel, I bet that legal hurdle has already been jumped

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Bartenders usually work nights and sleep fairly late into the day, so the guy also would have to be cool with not seeing her much if he works traditional hours.

How does that work for her with small children I wonder.

• Love 1
On 10/29/2018 at 11:36 AM, sasha206 said:

I just can't get over how a kid who has no high school education, is homeless essentially, and I'm going to guess barely works as a server, will be able to handle the care and feeding of a baby. 

I just can't get over someone wanting to sleep with such a winner.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, zenme said:

Right!  I *might* be able to understand it if he was some super hot guy and it was a one night stand.  But he isn't even that!  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

The man isn’t struggling to provide for his daughters IMO, that’s just him blowing smoke (and spending money inappropriately)- he wants to adopt Alejandro to get in good with Leda and “make a family” with her. Who knows if he will ACTUALLY do it (it could be all talk). Alejandro’s father may agree for the chance for his kid to become a USC and/or he’s just not interested in being a parent. 

1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

A grandparent or their Dad (s) may watch them the nights she works; she may also hire a sitter those nights. They also have 24hrs day care centers in major metro areas. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2
On 10/29/2018 at 2:40 PM, magemaud said:

I did love the floral centerpiece! But you're right, that was somebody's parents' house. 

I agree!  The blurred out picture of the colonial figure in the opening scene was the give away for me.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, zenme said:
On 10/29/2018 at 12:36 PM, sasha206 said:

I just can't get over how a kid who has no high school education, is homeless essentially, and I'm going to guess barely works as a server, will be able to handle the care and feeding of a baby. 

I can see how a young girl from Russia, working in the US for the Summer, could be charmed by a "cool" (at least in her eyes) American guy at the beach. 

now why can't I get the song, "Summer Lovin'" from Grease out of my head...

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, iwasish said:

I don’t see why he wants to take on that legal and financial burden if he is struggling to pay child support for his daughters. 

Because he was born with a low IQ and has now drunk away billions of brain cells.  Livin' in a dream world.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

A grandparent or their Dad (s) may watch them the nights she works; she may also hire a sitter those nights. They also have 24hrs day care centers in major metro areas. 

Yeah I was thinking if she's sleeping in who gets them to school or whatever, because if too young for school small kids tend to be up early. But she probably doesn't work every night & maybe shares custody according to her schedule. Maybe we'll be finding out more of her lifestyle as she settles in with Jay.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:08 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

His guilt of taking care of his mom since his dad is gone is admirable but it's stunting his emotional growth and making the bond even harder to break. 

I haven't seen guilt as such, but he hasn't experienced living any other way.  Hasn't he lived with his parents (and now just his mother) all his life?  She has (at least) Social Security as income, but his income probably makes things more affordable--but not much.  If he could afford more, he would probably have a car with air-conditioning.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

I haven't seen guilt as such, but he hasn't experienced living any other way.  Hasn't he lived with his parents (and now just his mother) all his life?  She has (at least) Social Security as income, but his income probably makes things more affordable--but not much.  If he could afford more, he would probably have a car with air-conditioning.  

Don’t you have to have worked a certain number of quarters to get social security?  Some people don’t get it.  Although if married there is a spousal benefit.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Does anybody know where he got the sandwich from? Please don't tell me he made that big of a deal of a sub from Subway, although that would fit in with Eric's cheapness.

No Subway (or any other chain) at Reading Terminal Market.  It's pretty awesome and well-curated.  But it's also not really where you'd go for a Canonical Tourist Cheesesteak either - you'd go to Pat's or Geno's.  Not that the ones at RTM aren't genuine, but if you're not there to eat because you're hungry but just to give everyone a taste of Phila. (hence the four way split) you'd go down to South Philly and grab one (or both) at Pat's or Geno's.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

The man isn’t struggling to provide for his daughters IMO, that’s just him blowing smoke (and spending money inappropriately)- he wants to adopt Alejandro to get in good with Leda and “make a family” with her. Who knows if he will ACTUALLY do it (it could be all talk). Alejandro’s father may agree for the chance for his kid to become a USC and/or he’s just not interested in being a parent. 

7 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I read somewhere here that Alessandro's father is Japanese and that Leida was married to him. I know Japan is quite restrictive with mixed marriages. Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship, for example. then there is the attitude to 'mixed race' couples there, which is where I'm going with Alessandro. I don't know where he was born, but I still can't see how living anywhere but with his Indonesian family isn't the safest outcome for him at this stage. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, queenjen said:

I read somewhere here that Alessandro's father is Japanese and that Leida was married to him. I know Japan is quite restrictive with mixed marriages. Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship, for example. then there is the attitude to 'mixed race' couples there, which is where I'm going with Alessandro. I don't know where he was born, but I still can't see how living anywhere but with his Indonesian family isn't the safest outcome for him at this stage. 

Ah thanks for the info. Alessandro is still living with his Indonesian family (his Mom). Given that’s her son I certainly see why she’d want him with her, and if she had left him with family in Indonesia for a time, she would likely be vilified for abandoning him (like some people claimed Hazel did -from Before the 90days). 

As a single person (much less a mom) I wouldn’t be comfortable living with someone I’d only spent 22days in person with but that’s just me. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, sconstant said:

But it's also not really where you'd go for a Canonical Tourist Cheesesteak either - you'd go to Pat's or Geno's. 

Doesn’t an authentic Philly Cheesesteak have to have orange/yellow Cheez Whiz on it? 

Edited by magemaud
3 hours ago, sconstant said:

No Subway (or any other chain) at Reading Terminal Market.  It's pretty awesome and well-curated.  But it's also not really where you'd go for a Canonical Tourist Cheesesteak either - you'd go to Pat's or Geno's.  Not that the ones at RTM aren't genuine, but if you're not there to eat because you're hungry but just to give everyone a taste of Phila. (hence the four way split) you'd go down to South Philly and grab one (or both) at Pat's or Geno's.

Or buy stuff from several vendors and have a sampler of the specialties of the area. They make a great Italian roast beef and a roast pork to die for. Some different breads and a few samples of various cheeses. He just plopped it there like he was feeding a couple of dogs.

• Love 2
On 10/28/2018 at 7:29 PM, Major Bigtime said:

The kid going to Russia, I am in agreement with his grandma. He’s a mess.

Jamaican guy and the blonde, I think they are the one couple that will be happy together.

I feel the opposite - more hope for the Russian couple and less for Mr. Jamaica. I question a poor son whose only trait to brag about, is his Dad's ability to bed women. The fact that 'bedding lots of women' results in 'lots of respect' for his Dad, tells me this family is low class.

• Love 4
On 10/29/2018 at 6:15 AM, CoachWristletJen said:

I don't know what her dad's upbringing was like, but I shudder to think that he had a similar, guileless personality when he first arrived in the United States and it was pounded out of him. If so, Asuelu's story truly is a sad one and I can only hope that Kalani will think more about her husband's feelings and less about her mean-assed Christian family.

There's something that screams 'home schooling' or similar distancing/controlling behaviour. Frankly, if I were Asuelu, it would take everything in my power not to laugh at that ridiculous beard-braid. Nothing screams tough like a skinny plait. I just get that dim-witted Duggarish controlling dad crap and Asuelu needs a friendly face near him to remind him that is HIS son and this family do not get to decide if he gets to be the father simply based on whether they like him or not.

• Love 3

After commenting on the fifth couple, I realized a common thread - none of these couples appear to have any meaningful societal courtesy/class, and they appear poorly educated OR the ones who are educated clearly have psychological/behavioural 'issues'. One last beef, I did not like how Eric appeared to pull the grandson away from the grandfather to hoist onto his shoulders. It probably is poor editing, but just because you can carry a child on your shoulders doesn't designate you the 'father figure'.

• Love 7

In case you don’t want to bother googling, 9,000 rubles is $136. And was that a doll’s car seat that Olga’s guy (I forgot his name) was carrying through Russian Walmart?  That thing was oddly small.

• Love 5
Just now, jennyf said:

was that a doll’s car seat that Olga’s guy (I forgot his name) was carrying through Russian Walmart?  That thing was oddly small.

I think it was a bath seat. 

• Love 4

Kalani’s family members are bad.

Colt’s choice for a wife is bad.

I no longer like the Jamaican guy, he’s bad.

Eric is doomed. Does he have all his teeth? 

The Russian and blonde guy are the only ones I like at this point. 

And my likes and dislikes change every time I watch this shitshow. 

• Love 20

Wealthy Leida doesn’t get any child support because she can’t figure out which teen on GAP year knocked her up. In America, you pay child support.  Don’t like it.  Scam a guy with no kids.

Larissa got us the answer on the Slot Machine. wooo!  She needs to be nice.  We know her ass has nothing back in Brazil but a flea infested bed at her place of employment....a Brazilian brothel! 

Kalani- Another episode and mom was still taking care of baby Oliver and Kalani never went to work.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

Larissa got us the answer on the Slot Machine. wooo!

Coltee, biggee..  I'm disappointed that she didn't call it the Slottee Machine.

Anywho, Colt's dad must've been the most romantic enabler that ever was. 

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Coltee, biggee..  I'm disappointed that she didn't call it the Slottee Machine.

Anywho, Colt's dad must've been the most romantic enabler that ever was. 

The Slottee machine is between her legs.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

She was making an effort to adapt to the new life Coltee was thrusting upon her in her own house. 

Instead of getting up and  making breakfast, while Coltee was thrusting upon Larissa, she waited to be invited to join them for the post-coital repast. I thought that was quite nice of her.

• Love 11

NO Sgt. Baker tonight! I hope he’s okay, you know water can do a lot of damage. 

And only one helping of my coveted Princess Toast in two hours.

I was disappointed but then cheered up again after seeing Debbie’s t-shirt. At first I thought it was the famous “Three Wolves Howling” shirt that gets such hilarious reviews on Amazon. 

0BE3E8E5-C711-4F16-A738-F585D17A79BA.jpeg

• Love 6