Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

His mom's food looked dull, colorless and devoid of flavor. It may be all he has ever eaten so it tastes fine to him.  Everything is beige.  Then again, if he is on the spectrum, he may only like certain foods.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, arc918 said:

If Colt can't afford a car with A/C, how on earth can he handle the financial side of the K-1 Visa?

It's not all that much money. After the $2000 in government fees you only need to earn 125% of the federal poverty line to.  Now a few other cost like paying for a USCIS approved surgeon to review her shot records but all told in most cases if they were able to travel abroad to have the face the face meeting qualification then choices can be made to afford a K-1. He could be in a situation where he deferred repairing an A/C in favor of the travel cost when her entry visa was issued

12 minutes ago, Raja said:

It's not all that much money. After the $2000 in government fees you only need to earn 125% of the federal poverty line to.  Now a few other cost like paying for a USCIS approved surgeon to review her shot records but all told in most cases if they were able to travel abroad to have the face the face meeting qualification then choices can be made to afford a K-1. He could be in a situation where he deferred repairing an A/C in favor of the travel cost when her entry visa was issued

Could be the heat doesn’t bother Colt or his mom. There are people like that, theyve lived there so long they get used to it. It’s more difficult to go from a/c to outside and then back to the a/c. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iwasish said:

He could be in a situation where he deferred repairing an A/C in favor of the travel cost when her entry visa was issued

And the little dents here and there in the car's body...and did that hood close completely?

4 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I doubt he eats a healthy home cooked meal every night.

I kinda think he has a home-cooked meal every night...maybe not "healthy" by today's standards...but just fine in the 80s.  His mom is still alive and kickin' and she's the chef.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

It might have been better to take them all out to breakfast— to a place where at least they would be some options to select from. After all, Eric treats himself to breakfast out every morning—why not his new bride and her family?

His coupons are always for ONLY one person.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Jennifersdc said:

Leida’s family probably doesn’t have that kind of money for a $500/night hotel room in Manhattan.

It's possible the family DOES have that kind of money, but Eric probably panicked at the thought that HE is meant to house/entertain them during their visit.  He couldn't take a chance on getting his credit card declined upon check-in.   Or maybe a card he borrowed from his 19yr old daughter.  He made reservations at that "cabin"??? so there are no questions asked.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Empress1 said:

When Fernanda was on the couch and Jonathan came home with Starbucks, I had the thought that it must be really isolating not to be able to drive in some of these places. I've lived in cities my whole life with public transportation, but Jonathan appears to live in suburban NC - I'm sure you need to drive to get anywhere. It must be so isolating. Your only connection to the place probably goes to work all day, and you're stuck at home and can't go anywhere.

Didn't Jon say early on  (and show us) that he bought her a Jeep Wrangler?     As he drove into his driveway there was an older one already there...for Fernanda.

12 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

She's 30, why doesn't she have her own place?

She, her baby, and her sister live in an apartment or townhouse together.  The only reason she's at an AirBnB is that her sister refuses to have Asuelu stay with them.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

He has the body of someone who eats a lot of processed foods. I read somewhere that too much soy, heavily present in processed food, causes awkward weight gain in the chest area. I doubt he eats a healthy home cooked meal every night.

Ooohhh...that's interesting.  

• Love 1

Hello, my lovely snarkables, and welcome to the new folks who jumped in (like I did last season)! I sat out the live chat and watched this episode recorded last night because I started getting traumas trying to keep up in the live thread and go to bed early on Sunday nights. I am currently up to page 3 here but wanted to drop my two cents in on the episode before this thread got longer.

Coltee/Larissee: WHY does she add "E" to every word?? I reminds me of bad comedies where Americans try to speak foreign languages by adding "E" to English words. And for the person who said she has "George Washington teeth"...YES! Colt needs to invest in contact lenses. I am blind as a bat and my eyeglass prescription doesn't make my eyeballs look that huge. But wait, why would he do that when he won't even fix the dent in the car or the A/C. No A/C in Nevada??? No, Honey...no. That would be enough for me to hitchhike back to the aeropuerto.

Fernanda/Ricky 2.0: Obviously the friends live in better digs than the realtor does. So far I'm really liking this chick, she's very much another Sophia Vergara and I thought the impersonation of the Southern accent was a hoot! And yes, she was genuinely touched by the "table of food". Which, as most everyone has already commented...that was NOT cornbread. I've been in Georgia 30+ years and...no. And being around true Southern Belles this long, they totally ripped her apart after she left. Bless her heart. I'm not pinging the gaydar on Jonathan yet. But there is some freak going on somewhere in there. 

Steven/Olga: My stupid DVR cut off the first 15 minutes so my episodes started with him already in his TH. So I don't know the back story. However, I thought what he had to say was spot on and I am rooting for them so far. LOVE the Deadhead Grandparents! Gramma will tell it like it is and keep him in line. Just really want to know where the $ is coming from and how the K1 will get approved if he's jobless and without a place to live? Would love to know what went on with the Mother...but I'm already thinking substance abuse of some sort.

G.I. Joe/Indonesian Almond Joy: Thank you, @Pepper Mostly for the phrase " nuttier than an Almond Joy", because this chica IS. Definitely have the grifting vibe. There are so many sad sack middle aged American men going overseas for Asian women. My BFF's older brother is the same. Mid 50's, divorced, grown children and grandchildren. A basic schlub who got too many happy endings at the massage parlor and decided he can only get it up now by Asian women. He went to the Philippines and is now trying to bring over a woman who could be his daughter, who also has a 10 year old daughter. WTF, guys? I think Eric deserves everything she gives him, and she should have dumped that plate of "American breakfast - burritos" (???) on his head. Poor Alless, who seems like he'll go along with anything just to keep his Mom quiet. 

Ashley/Jamaican Sack: WELL...he is either a very good actor or SLIGHTLY redeeming himself this episode, but I still don't get this couple. If anyone has ever watched "Greencard" starring Andie McDowell and Gerard Depardieu you would be chuckling at them preparing for his interview. Even Mr. Snarkish remarked, "Why doesn't this chick just get herself a young Black guy stateside??" Oh, YES, she's seen "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" too many times.

• Love 14
12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Those "wall/immigrants are taking jobs" comments were straight up racist, and like you, you couldn't get me to say shit like that. Producer: "Okay, at the dinner, we want you to tell Fernanda that Mexicans are taking jobs from Americans." Me: "No." What are the producers going to do, fire me? Not give me a friend-of talking head? 

The friends didn't actually say that Mexicans are "taking" the jobs here and that they support a wall.  Mostly it was just the one guy, and he basically said that people here are talking about things like that,  and he asked her how she felt about it. I still think the producers are responsible for that line of questions...and yes, of course it was rude, but this is "reality" TV!  Honestly, Fernando is going to have to be a big girl (to go along with her breast implants) and understand that immigration is a huge topic here- all she has to do is turn on any news station.  There are certainly many, many wonderful Mexican people, so the girl should be fine if her intentions are legit. Unfortunately,  any teenager who allows a 30 year old guy to buy her implants and then has no problem whatsoever bragging about it to the country is, in my view,  a little "off." 

Edited by Rdh1314
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, usernameG said:

Totally paunchy and soft. Like if you were to touch him it would be all doughy. I doubt he would pay for a gym membership. 

I can’t afford one either, but I run, speed walk, lift weights, do situps, etc. He’s lazy.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

I think the one thing that caused her to leave her life of luxury was the absolute constant shame and judgement her family makes her feel. She's Kalani's soul sister in that type of suffering. 

The only difference is, despite the occasional temper spat, Leida doesn't seem to be a soul crushing B.

The rich girl braggadocio is super annoying, but I think Leida's doing it out of insecurity because she's probably been beaten down by her family ten one too many times. She thinks all that posturing will make us 'big rich Americans' like her and think that she's cool somehow.

Eric was the first guy to pay her a compliment or two and make her feel good about herself, and the way she latched onto this mess of flaws is a testament to how sad and lonely she was surrounded by her family. "Who is going to take care of Alless?" her sister asks, archly. "Me," Leida says, meekly trying to assert herself.  Not, "I will, and I will do it correctly." 

Sister looks on disapprovingly. Clearly, this near doctor beauty pageant winner cannot be trusted by them to adequately look after her own son. Hers has been a soul crushing existence. Eric's American Dream facade was a quick, easy escape from the gilded Indonesian cage, and one she doesn't want to have to think about too much. 

This couple actually interests me even more than the Dolt triangle. I've been trying to figure them out and I think the answer has been right in front of me all along. Eric's flaws are a testament to how bad Leida's family has made her feel about herself on the inside, and how very desperate she is to get away from them!

Why won't her rich family spring for a fancy NYC hotel room? First of all because by U.S. standards, they're not that rich. They know that their money won't go nearly as far over here. Second, they want to see what Eric's made of, what the dashing groom can actually provide.  He probably is kind of cheap, but he also doesn't have very much as is indicated by his apartment. I'm sure his wife got the house and he feels stripped by the divorce.

That is what I am feeling, while "rich" they are not Crazy Rich.  Do the Crazy Rich daughters enter beauty pageants or is that a middle class step up opportunity?

It did seem as if big sister/auntie either watched past episodes or got the TLC script as she parroted the American friends line about you have 90 days to find out if you like the sex.  Are they not supposed to be one of those church families where trying out and learning such things goes against God and  doctrine?

5 hours ago, Former Nun said:

It's possible the family DOES have that kind of money, but Eric probably panicked at the thought that HE is meant to house/entertain them during their visit.  He couldn't take a chance on getting his credit card declined upon check-in.   Or maybe a card he borrowed from his 19yr old daughter.  He made reservations at that "cabin"??? so there are no questions asked.

And he was already on a budget when auntie showed up ready to snatch her nephew and sister back to Indonesia. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

I met a few Samoans in the military before my husband retired. They all pronounced it Samwa. I wonder if it a regional thing maybe. I also think I have heard The Rock pronounce it Samwa. (In an interview. I dont know The Rock.)

I am sad that you don't know the Rock.

Here he is, saying "Samoa" several times in the first minute.  He seems to do a bit of the elongated first syllable "a" and also to pronounce the "o" with a little bit of the "w" beforehand as @morgalisa says.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvWdfNPdlqE

[Amusingly, I heard it more when he says "Western Samoa" than when he says "American Samoa" (which he says first).]

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Shieldmaiden said:

Maybe Asuelo is pronouncing it in “American” and Kalani is using the Samoan pronunciation...In the Samoan language, each vowel has a long and short value, and the name for the country has a line over the first “a” indicating it should be given more emphasis/longer sound than a regular “a”

Found on the interwebs:

The Alphabet

The Samoan alphabet looks like this:

A E I O U F G L M N P S T V H K R

Each of the vowels has a short and a long sound. The long sound is marked by a line above the vowel, called a macron (or fa'amamafa).

A a»say 'cup'  Ā ā»say 'car'

E e»say 'leg' Ē ē»say 'rain'

I i»say 'pick' Ī ī»say 'bee'

O o»say 'hot' Ō ō»say 'dough'

U u»say 'put' Ū ū»say 'sue'

Here’s an audio guide for the Samoan language pronunciation https://forvo.com/word/sāmoa/

Of Course there is a “correct” way to pronounce place names in every language - In Italian Paris is actually Parigi, (I long ago helped several clueless backpackers who were about to miss their train to Paris)  and in French, London is Londres, and of course very few (pretentious?) people speaking English here would say “Paree” for Paris...

Sorry for the lesson, but I love learning about languages!

Here's what I think is going on (and I could be completely incorrect)....

Americans pronounce "Samoa" with a short initial "a" and a long "o."  Samoans seems to pronounce the word with a long initial "a" and a short "o."  As you shorten the "o" it starts to sound more and more like a "w" sound to American ears.   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, snarkish said:

Coltee/Larissee: WHY does she add "E" to every word?? I reminds me of bad comedies where Americans try to speak foreign languages by adding "E" to English words. And for the person who said she has "George Washington teeth"...YES! Colt needs to invest in contact lenses. I am blind as a bat and my eyeglass prescription doesn't make my eyeballs look that huge. But wait, why would he do that when he won't even fix the dent in the car or the A/C. No A/C in Nevada??? No, Honey...no. That would be enough for me to hitchhike back to the aeropuerto.

She's in 'Murica now . . . that would be the "airportie."

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Horrified said:

I saw that too.  But I was transfixed by the "statue" in the foyer. It was just kind of.....there.  I guess that's what you put in a little curved alcove when the world has run out of potted plants.

11 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

production probably said "Hey we have a budget for this! Go to Publix real quick!" and like a Top Chef challenge, only gave them like $100.

Or.... that house could be one of Jonathan's real estate listings and his seller agreed to it being on the show in exchange for some $$$$, enough to to pay toward taxes on it etc. That is an old people house staged for sale. Grandma/grampa die and the "kids" are trying to sell the house asap.... maybe?? Searches Lumberton MLS lol....

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Former Nun said:

And the little dents here and there in the car's body...and did that hood close completely?

I kinda think he has a home-cooked meal every night...maybe not "healthy" by today's standards...but just fine in the 80s.  His mom is still alive and kickin' and she's the chef.

Not everyone cares if their car has a few dents and imperfections. If it has low mileage or runs well, they don’t feel the need to buy a new one just for aesthetics. They just look at the car as transportation, if they only have a short commute and don’t need to take long drives, they are content to drive the car till it’s beyond repair.  That’s a savings of upwards of  $250 a month. Did Larissa even have a car back home? 

• Love 5

I'll add more as I gather my thoughts but so far:

COLT- I'm awaiting the reveal that he or his mother lost all their $ to gambling.  With his decent job and frugal ways (including living with mom), the guy should be sitting on a gold mine. I admit I don't know anything about cost of living in Vegas but where I come from, just living with parents and working will save a ton. I say though, good for him staying true to himself with frugality and not blowing it out bigtime in a false pretense of who he is to win over a hot girl til $ runs out and she takes off. She at least knows what she's getting into. Or maybe she passes his test and he reveals a mansion in the end?! Imagine?! I'm sure not but we need a 90DF twist! 

JONATHAN- What about this overgrown frat boy is there to love? Fernanda seems to keep bringing up leaving her life/family/friends. It tells me she really did this for "love" not an American lifestyle. I agree with others it's likely  her 1st serious relationship so she feels obliged to be w/ this idiot. And WHY was his friend MASSAGING the back of Jon's chair at dinner?! Not an ordinary behavior. 

LEIDA & eyebags- I agree the guy seems to be living on liquor and 1 hour sleep. Yikes! The teeth, too! She's a spoiled brat and I'm sure sister was sent along to look after the poor 5 year old Aless bc the "mom" can't be bothered.  Both train wrecks but a cabin in PA is quite my pace so WTF is she complaining about?! Visit NY for a day trip after some rest. But she best not marry this guy...holy smokes!

KALANI- I feel like her guy is ummm...a little...special. not being mean but maybe small island inbreeding? Very nice and genuine man but he is not going to be suited to this life with her . I loved her mom's affectionate kisses to him & he adores his son. We'll see. I am shocked he woo'd Kalani to the point of losing her virginity if she had a dating life with American men before him. And she's 30!!!! She is sheltered for sure so maybe that explains it. 

STEVEN/Russia girl- No. Just no. Those Poor grandparents. Paternity test is prudent. Did he say he makes $ skateboarding?? He couldn't even land some simple tricks. Feel bad the dad died but he needs therapy and to grow into a man. Not remain the psychological age he was at time of dad's passing. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, arc918 said:

If Colt can't afford a car with A/C, how on earth can he handle the financial side of the K-1 Visa?

Same with breakfast burrito Eric. 

With him it's likely not about if he can afford it or not - he probably can, he just feels it's not necessary (how in LV I have no idea....) 

16 hours ago, ava111 said:

Open the car windows in Las Vegas heat doesn't help at all. It's just like blowing hot hairdryer in your face. No, thank you. AC there  is not even a luxury it's basic necessity.

The girl from Russia was definitely here as seasonal summer worker. There is a program for students especially from eastern Europe to come to USA for 3 months in summer. They are mostly employed as lifeguards at pools and in summer jobs in areas like Ocean City. Young Americans don't want these jobs anymore so they bring people here from less affluent countries. When I worked in Target I was extremely surprised to hear my language one night and it turned out there were guys who were working as lifeguards in daytime and night shift in backroom in Target from my home country. Not sure if the last few years they are still able to get additional jobs but they still come on special visa for strictly summer jobs.

I went to Maine a few years ago right as their summer season was getting ready to start.  They do the same in their touristy towns and something happened to delay the visa process so a lot of restaurants weren't able to open their normal hours because they didn't have the staff. 

• Love 3

When Kalani went to Samoa, her fiance would have been 21-22, with her being 28ish.  I think she totally went with a plan to enjoy the, you know, sex and found a good looking, nice young man.  If people think Jonathan took advantage of a younger Fernanda, then I think it's a similar situation with Kalani.  I don't think he had any plan of getting her pregnant and then coming to the U.S.  She made her own decisions and is now bringing him to the U.S. and will be dictating his every action and reaction from now on.  Frankly, she could have moved to Samoa with her son but instead is bring him to an uncomfortable situation which was made worse when she decided to overshare and/or lie about him.  Kalani is backtracking on what she previously told her family, so she is a liar-whether then or now.  I am so bothered by all of her talking heads when she states that is has no support and is totally on her own, except for the fact that she was living with her sister and her mom spent a lot of time caring for her son.  I would also imagine that her parents have provided financial support as it doesn't appear that Kalani works. But, other than that...

• Love 13

Jonathan and Fernanda were wearing wedding rings when they walked into friend's house and had dinner . It was noticable so wonder if already married? 

I forgot about Jamaican and blondie! Yes, he came across more mature this episode.  He said she had been engaged twice but they "weren't perfect for her." When she described the guy's exes, she said something like "why would he come to America with someone he's honestly just-like- disgusted by, really?!" Lmao!!! She is so immature! Mentally 15. Can't be said enough- get all these children to better care than these 90 day disaster parents!!! 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Not everyone cares if their car has a few dents and imperfections.

That's true, and if left unattended they'll probably just rust out.  A stitch in time....      It was simply one more comment on the general lifestyle of our hero and The Woman of his Dreams.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

It was noticable so wonder if already married?

Early on Jon (while wearing the ring before Fernanda arrived) explained that SHE is jealous and she insists that he wear that ring.

55 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

KALANI- I feel like her guy is ummm...a little...special. not being mean but maybe small island inbreeding? 

Odd observation.  This is a kid who lived a very rural, very simple life.  He's obviously awed (stunned?) by all the heavy traffic and huge buildings on the freeway.  He's probably just a sweet simple guy who has sex with every willing American female.  Kalani might not be the only baby-mama in the States; she's just the only one who went back to grab him.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

Eric/Leida: I did not understand the cross country journey in the first place. There will be plenty of time for Leida to see the country. She and her son had just come off of a 14-hour plane ride. Why did he think that they'd want to sit in a car for hours? He probably didn't want her family to see his hovel. Leida is in for a very rude awakening.

Colt/Larissa: They are so awkward with each other, it's like they just met. I can't believe that these people are "dating" and have taken vacations together. She's clearly using him and I have no idea why he even wants a woman in the first place. He seems very asexual to me. I think he'd be perfectly content to live with his cats and his mom.

Eric drove to PA because he didn’t want to pay for a hotel in NYC.  Total ass.  For all we all we know, he paid for Leida’s plane ticket out and it is cheaper to fly to NYC and pick her up there than pay for the connecting flight to Wisconsin or where ever his hovel is located.  

Colt would be perfectly happy living with his cats and his mom and a blow up doll.  It’s cheap, doesn’t ask for flowers and he will enjoy fixing her when she breaks. 

Been to Vegas many times and been there in summer with temperatures of 113 degrees.  Cannot imagine a car without air conditioning.  I think it’s not that Dolt can’t afford a new car with air conditioning, it’s that he chooses not to get one.  He’s just cheap.  He reminds me of my in-laws.   They would rather suffer the heat than fork out money to get a new car or fix the problem.  

Edited by LGGirl
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, spankydoll said:

Did they identify themselves as Christians? I'm not sure why Christians as a general group are lumped into the hateful/gun-totin'/racist territory.

I agree. I'm Catholic & have been to many different churches with many different language options and 1 was Latin and where I belong now, they have a mass in Spanish. We are all many religions (or other) and all (hopefully) working on ourselves at all times. Whoever you are and whatever your beliefs, try to be better.  

Disclaimer: If I were a perfect person I probably wouldn't be wasting the day away snarking on trashy reality TV. Yet here I am. 

I don't hate other races and if someone is gay, it's my belief you're born that way and the Lord loves all so I love you. If you don't have love for all in your heart then probably not a Christian . Let's all be better, friends. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Rdh1314 said:

The friends didn't actually say that Mexicans are "taking" the jobs here and that they support a wall.  Mostly it was just the one guy, and he basically said that people here are talking about things like that,  and he asked her how she felt about it. I still think the producers are responsible for that line of questions...and yes, of course it was rude, but this is "reality" TV!  Honestly, Fernando is going to have to be a big girl (to go along with her breast implants) and understand that immigration is a huge topic here- all she has to do is turn on any news station.  There are certainly many, many wonderful Mexican people, so the girl should be fine if her intentions are legit. Unfortunately,  any teenager who allows a 30 year old guy to buy her implants and then has no problem whatsoever bragging about it to the country is, in my view,  a little "off." 

I am trying to give Fernanda a break because of her age just like I did with Evelyn. Which is hard to do but I keep remembering what an idiot I was at 19 and how thankful I am to have never been filmed. I guess that we will see more about Fenanda as the episodes roll out. 

19 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

I know that in Brazil it is customary for the man to wear a simple gold engagement ring on his right hand and then switch it over to his left hand when he marries. Makes me wonder if there is a similar custom sometimes observed in Mexico?

My ex was engaged to a Brazilian woman and a thin gold band on his right hand, but he hadn't been to visit her in two years. He wore it after he supposedly went back and broke off the engagement. (Huge red flag that my 19-year-old brain ignored!) I asked him about the ring one night and he took it off and tossed it off the dock into this conveniently located lagoon. I still should have ditched him!)

I always think of what Carrie Fisher said when asked what advice she would give to her younger self, "Don't do anything that you're thinking about doing."

Thank you for the Carrie quote! Love her. I have a mild case of the mood disorder that Carrie had and her writings about it were immensely helpful to me. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

I'm awaiting the reveal that he or his mother lost all their $ to gambling.

Oh yeahhhh... that would explain the dining room slot machine! Or rather... could be explained by the presence of a slot machine in the dining room...

1 hour ago, LGGirl said:

Colt would be perfectly happy living with his cats and his mom and a blow up doll.  It’s cheap, doesn’t ask for flowers and he will enjoy fixing her when she breaks. 

As long as Debbie doesn't know, she likes to get into his stuff and is jealous of all his mistresses.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 5

I just remembered how angry I got at Eric in this episode.  Shortly before Leida came, he said she was the "best thing that every happened to him.'" That made me sick.  He is putting a woman who he only spent a few days with over his three children.

Also- regarding the store bought food at the dinner for Fernanda and Jonathan...I'm roughly the same age as him and his friends, and I could see my friends doing something like this.  There are plenty of people my age who cook, but I have friends who literally get take out for every dinner and would think that is the nice thing to do for company.  (They are all living with their partners with no kids so they have money). Of course, these are people living in "hip" cities like Hoboken and Brooklyn, and I'm not sure that Lumberton, NC has as many tempting food options!

• Love 5
On 10/29/2018 at 8:45 AM, CoachWristletJen said:

I couldn't help but notice that The Doltmobile (Debbie + Colt.. thank you, Sterling!)  seems to have had multiple fender benders. Either Colt or his mom must be a terrible driver! They either don't report it to the insurance or pocket the $$$ and don't get the dents fixed.

I too drive an older paid-for car, and I can tell you that you get no respect on the road with multiple dents and fading paint. Things drastically improved for me after spending a few $$$ on body work and paint. 

In Oklahoma, there doesn't seem to be any real penalty for driving without insurance. Some people buy a month's worth to get their car registered and have an insurance card for the police, but have stopped paying the premiums. I've been bumped & crashed into multiple times. No respect. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

Thank you for the Carrie quote! Love her. I have a mild case of the mood disorder that Carrie had and her writings about it were immensely helpful to me. 

I too love Carrie Fisher. Her audiobooks are great entertainment for me in the car, especially when she talks about Elizabeth Taylor being sort of her stepmother. Those were the days! 

Edited by Rt66vintage
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Deafening Roar said:

Unfortunately being from the south, actually neighbor of NC, I don't think that conversation was scripted at all. That is the opinion of a lot of ppl from here and that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion and support of Trump and his wall, but that just wasn't the time or place to discuss any of that.

Ppl are still talking about the wall??

18 hours ago, Rdh1314 said:

The girl from Russia and the 20 year old kid...how sad. His father died when he was 7. His mother kicked him out when he was 16, he's been bouncing around,  in trouble , relying on his toothless grandparents, and now he's going to be a father...and he wants to be a "good" father...I just feel bad for this kid.

It's unusual for a mother to put a 16 y/o out (and illegal). Did they say why? Was he abusing drugs or something? I missed the first few mins of this episode.

18 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I think Asuelu's very sweet. And Khalani does not want to marry him. She has has major second thoughts. He was fine for a vacation hookup, but here in California? He's an embarrassment to her. She's going to passive aggressively find fault with everything he says and does. She'll shame him for his lack of worldliness and be mortified by him. She'll roll her eyes when he jokes around or takes joy in anything. ("Honey, you're just so loud!") She's already turned her family against him. She wants him gone. She knows that he wants to try and make a go of it with her and be a father to their son, so she has to hope that the collective charm and warmth of her family (ha!), along with her constant criticism and corrections will drive him away. Then she can be a heroic single mother and talk smack about her horrible ex. 

As many times as she mentioned the word "shame," I seriously doubt she wants to be a single mother, heroic or not. She's embarrassed for herself that he was the best she could do. And she was also dreading introducing him to her family and being judged.

14 hours ago, Deafening Roar said:

I'm not a gambler but if I were, I would bet the house you are right on the money with your assumption of them being self proclaimed Christians.

Just from looking, I'd also bet everyone sitting at that table, aside from Fernanda, are "Christians"

I'm sure Fernanda is Christian, too. What's your point?

13 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

His mom's food looked dull, colorless and devoid of flavor. It may be all he has ever eaten so it tastes fine to him.  Everything is beige.  Then again, if he is on the spectrum, he may only like certain foods.

OMG I misread this as saying: "His mom looked dull, colorless and devoid of flavor. She may be all he has ever eaten." OMG

10 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Didn't Jon say early on  (and show us) that he bought her a Jeep Wrangler?     As he drove into his driveway there was an older one already there...for Fernanda.

Some immigrants can't drive immediately. I think it depends on the country and if there is driving license reciprocity.

5 hours ago, snarkish said:

Ashley/Jamaican Sack: WELL...he is either a very good actor or SLIGHTLY redeeming himself this episode, but I still don't get this couple. If anyone has ever watched "Greencard" starring Andie McDowell and Gerard Depardieu you would be chuckling at them preparing for his interview. Even Mr. Snarkish remarked, "Why doesn't this chick just get herself a young Black guy stateside??" Oh, YES, she's seen "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" too many times.

Great movie!

Ashley said prior to Jay she had only been interested in White guys.

3 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

LEIDA & eyebags- I agree the guy seems to be living on liquor and 1 hour sleep. Yikes! The teeth, too! She's a spoiled brat and I'm sure sister was sent along to look after the poor 5 year old Aless bc the "mom" can't be bothered.  Both train wrecks but a cabin in PA is quite my pace so WTF is she complaining about?! Visit NY for a day trip after some rest. But she best not marry this guy...holy smokes!

buwahahaha I howled

2 hours ago, LGGirl said:

Eric drove to PA because he didn’t want to pay for a hotel in NYC.  Total ass.  For all we all we know, he paid for Leida’s plane ticket out and it is cheaper to fly to NYC and pick her up there than pay for the connecting flight to Wisconsin or where ever his hovel is located.  

But how long will they be staying in PA? Will they host Leida's parents in PA for their entire visit? And then they're DRIVING to Wisconsin? Would have been much cheaper for he three to fly direct to Wisconsin. If there was not enough room in his apt to hosp all Indonesian family, couldn't he have rented some place in Wisconsin? Wouldn't he want to be close to his home so he has access to his stuff, kids and job, etc,?

37 minutes ago, lucy711 said:

I just remembered how angry I got at Eric in this episode.  Shortly before Leida came, he said she was the "best thing that every happened to him.'" That made me sick.  He is putting a woman who he only spent a few days with over his three children.

Also- regarding the store bought food at the dinner for Fernanda and Jonathan...I'm roughly the same age as him and his friends, and I could see my friends doing something like this.  There are plenty of people my age who cook, but I have friends who literally get take out for every dinner and would think that is the nice thing to do for company.  (They are all living with their partners with no kids so they have money). Of course, these are people living in "hip" cities like Hoboken and Brooklyn, and I'm not sure that Lumberton, NC has as many tempting food options!

Yeah, that was a GROSS thing to say by a man with three children! YUCK!

Wait, Hoboken is now considered hip?? LOL

Edited by eatsleep
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

LOL!  No biggie.  Just thought you might have been at the same show I was.  ;)

which would have been AWESOME!

1 hour ago, spankydoll said:

but I keep remembering what an idiot I was at 19

however bad you were, I was worse.  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

which would have been AWESOME!

It was an awesome show, if you like Mystery Science Theater 3000.  :D  And would have been a cool coincidence.  Other than that, we shopped, and spent some time at Boscov's across the street.  Love that downtown store.  Had lunch there.  Had supper after the show at King Of Gyros, which may be the best Gyro I've ever had.  :)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

When Kalani went to Samoa, her fiance would have been 21-22, with her being 28ish.  I think she totally went with a plan to enjoy the, you know, sex and found a good looking, nice young man.  If people think Jonathan took advantage of a younger Fernanda, then I think it's a similar situation with Kalani.  I don't think he had any plan of getting her pregnant and then coming to the U.S.  She made her own decisions and is now bringing him to the U.S. and will be dictating his every action and reaction from now on.  Frankly, she could have moved to Samoa with her son but instead is bring him to an uncomfortable situation which was made worse when she decided to overshare and/or lie about him.  Kalani is backtracking on what she previously told her family, so she is a liar-whether then or now.  I am so bothered by all of her talking heads when she states that is has no support and is totally on her own, except for the fact that she was living with her sister and her mom spent a lot of time caring for her son.  I would also imagine that her parents have provided financial support as it doesn't appear that Kalani works. But, other than that...

Right? What 30 year old woman doesn't have a job? Unless you're a SAH mother, or a nun or something. She does love to play the victim. Lets see, she has a cute baby, a kind, sweet man, awesome hair, both parents, a home. What is so terrible? Go do some volunteer work at a women's shelter or something before you whinge about how you have "no support". Ugh. I cannot stand her. She's childish and selfish, and judgmental as fuck.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, LGGirl said:

Been to Vegas many times and been there in summer with temperatures of 113 degrees.  Cannot imagine a car without air conditioning.  I think it’s not that Dolt can’t afford a new car with air conditioning, it’s that he chooses not to get one.  He’s just cheap.  He reminds me of my in-laws.   They would rather suffer the heat than fork out money to get a new car or fix the problem.  

Lol! Hello you! I agree with your points. In addition, Colt probably has a terrible addiction to online porn, and can thus satisfy his urges himself just fine.  And in Las Vegas, in this day and age,  it's not smart to go about life in un-air-conditioned  vehicles because it's a health hazard.  Colt, at this point, appears to be a narcissistic , cheap, sexual deviant. 

• Love 3

Posted this morning my recap and completely left out Couple Samwa: Yep, totally over her ending every sentence as a question. I'm not buying the virginity thing with this chick. Nope. Nuh uh. I feel VERY SORRY for Asuelu. He's a very sweet man from what I can sense so far, but he is not meant for life in the big city, or with a woman like her. I also would have been completely embarrassed by the airport dance BUT I would have at least *pretended* to be enjoying it  because it was very clear how happy he was to perform it for her. WHY is Mommy Dearest at the Airbnb?? Can't any of these adults distance themselves from Mom? It took me 21 years to get my eldest out of the house permanently and I'm lucky now if I get a text once a week or so. However, I DID live with my parents when I was a single Mom and he was baby but I was either working or in school to EVENTUALLY GET US OUT AND IN OUR OWN PLACE. 

• Love 4

In the kitchen of Kalani’s AirBnB, The Disney Princess Cookbook is displayed on the counter. It was Kalani’s birthday, so maybe it was a present.  It would be fitting, as Kalani, with her glorious head of hair, resembles a Disney Princess.

Also, I’m now wondering what sort of recipes are in The Disney Princess Cookbook. I may have to get a copy in order to find out.

Edited by SweetPotato
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Jonathan and Fernanda were wearing wedding rings when they walked into friend's house and had dinner . It was noticable so wonder if already married? 

Good possibility and they goofed, production didn’t catch it. There was a couple on Love After Lockup who were already married but parading around like they had just met. Anything for a buck.

Just now, Major Bigtime said:

Good possibility and they goofed, production didn’t catch it. There was a couple on Love After Lockup who were already married but parading around like they had just met. Anything for a buck.

Jon explained that once they got engaged and Fernanda had her engagement ring, she got a ring for Jon to wear because she is very, very jealous and wanted him to look “taken.”  So it appears that those rings are engagement rings and they are not yet married according to what I saw.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, PityFree said:

Well if there’s a recipe for Princess Toast in there, it’s wrong. Automatically. Because no one knows what’s in Princess Toast! 

I think this whole topic needs to be taken over to the QVC thread.  Jane and David are experts in everything Disney and Food. They will know what's in Princess Toast.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

It was an awesome show, if you like Mystery Science Theater 3000.  :D  And would have been a cool coincidence.  Other than that, we shopped, and spent some time at Boscov's across the street.  Love that downtown store.  Had lunch there.  Had supper after the show at King Of Gyros, which may be the best Gyro I've ever had.  :)

Well, I WAS at Boscov's on Friday...we were that close.   (making pinching fingers).

The first time I "watched" this I was also reading comments so I didn't really pay attention.  I'm rewatching.  My gosh, Asuelu is just a sweetheart!  And I hope that Steve and Olga do well.  And Larissa hates Colt.  I did realize, though, that I've had cats for decades and never thought to dress them in clothes.  What have I been missing!!!

• Love 8