Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E16: Live Results 3 (Wednesday's Show)

• Start Topic

• "An elimination round." Can we eliminate Tyra?
  • Big Papa Simon Cowell? ?
  • Was the hairstylist mad at Tyra or something?
  • Hey, did you know Us the Duo are having a baby?! ?
  • Joseph O'Brien's outfit is kinda hideous (I wasn't paying that much attention last night; just noticed.) Green suit with navy/yellow striped shirt? Who picked that out?
  • Oh my god Tyra can you talk like a normal person for one full sentence?
  • Heidi's jacket looks like it's about to fall off.
  • Oh my god shut up [Christina].
  • Oh my god shut up [Daniel].
  • "He shot an apple off my head!" No, he didn't.

Results if you want 'em:

Spoiler

Advanced:

• Us the Duo+1 (Band)
  • Brian King Joseph (Electric Violinist)
  • Michael Ketterer (Singer/Kid adopter)
  • Christina Wells (Singer)
  • Zurcaroh (Acrobatic Group)
  • Daniel Emmet (Opera-style pop-music Singer) - Dunkin' Save Audience Pick
  • Aaron Crow ("Danger" Act) - Dunkin' Save Judges' Pick

Eliminated:

• Hans (Singer/Accordionist/Dancer)
  • Joseph O'Brien (Singer/Pianist/Forlornly Single Guy)
  • Rob Lake (Illusionist)
  • UDI Dance (Blacklight Dance Group)
  • The Future Kingz (Dance Group) - Dunkin' Save Lost

•  Oh, jeez, Mel is a guest...whatever...on World of Dance. I've been watching it the past few weeks because it came on after AGT and I had nothing better to do, but I might just have to read a book or go to bed early or something.
Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

The elementary school where I work put on a better and more professional talent show last year than this crapfest.

Eric Cowell is still adorable, but I suspect he's going to be quite a handful, much like his daddy.  lol

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, lb60 said:

The elementary school where I work put on a better and more professional talent show last year than this crapfest.

Eric Cowell is still adorable, but I suspect he's going to be quite a handful, much like his daddy.  lol

Cranky Senior Citizen here, but Simon's son, Eric, came off as quite conceited & annoying...I have the feeling he is spoiled by his Father....he is a cute little boy but he kept grabbing the microphone & trying to be the center of attention. 

• Love 8

Mel B looked seriously bummed when Hans sasheyed out of there. 

1 minute ago, BuckeyeLou said:

he is a cute little boy but he kept grabbing the microphone & trying to be the center of attention. 

He's a cute kid for sure but I was getting a bit irked with him.   The egotism runs in the family ;P  

One day, one day soon, AGT will eventually ban singers on this because it's like watching most singing competition shows with a dance or magic act thrown in to change the pace a bit.   But alas, that will never happen. 

• Love 5

I want Brian King Joseph and Joseph O’Brien to go on the road together as Brian King Joseph O’Brien. It’s like a Wheel of Fortune before and after puzzle. 

I saw Us the Duo when they were opening for Pentatonix a couple of years ago. They were quite nice to listen to. 

• Love 6

. I picked everyone correctly except Us The Duo. I thought Hans would certainly go through.

. MelB is a judge. She is suppose to be objective and shouldn't show her disappointment when her fav gets eliminated like she showed with Hans.

. I was happy when I thought Christina Wells was gone. Then disappointed when she made it. Another sob story survivor.

. Michael Ketterer should be judged based on his singing abilities not who has the best sob story. I hope he gets eliminated next round.

. Maybe the Future Kingz were trying to gain votes by featuring a kid dancing. I think that's what did them in.

. Come on AGT, it's time to replace MelB and Tyra!! 

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

One day, one day soon, AGT will eventually ban singers on this because it's like watching most singing competition shows with a dance or magic act thrown in to change the pace a bit.   But alas, that will never happen. 

No, it won't happen because Simon's  whole career is based on singers.

• Love 4

I completely agree re the glut of singers and sob stories. There are too many of both.

Insofar as I can overcome apathy where this show is concerned, I’m actually gonna miss Hans. He was fun and entertaining, made me smile, and didn’t make me grab for the fast-forward button. Auf Weidersehen, you delightful oddball!

• Love 15

I knew Hans and Aaron would not enjoy healthy support from Ameriker.  I only hoped at least one of them would make it to Jidges Choice.  I was fairly certain either one would make it over any other act at that point (the sob story singers would already be through).  Howie confirmed my suspicions by not even allowing it to go to the vote.  It was telling that Mel voted for Aaron.  She of the PTSD revelations (I sincerely wish her well) went for the scary guy ?  Didn't she have to turn her back on the final knife reveal?  Did she buzz it?  I'm pleased with the result, nonetheless.

I usually really love the professional reviews which are featured.  The Broadway act tonight was just meh, to me.

Overall, I think Ameriker has had far better voting nights.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mtlchick said:

The public has been watching singing competition shows for so many years that they're conditioned to always vote for the singer (solo or group). They don't even have to be that good. Everyone can relate to singing. And many people have a fantasy of singing in front of an audience, even if it's only at the neighborhood karaoke bar, so there's an element of identification. But vey few people have a clue of the countless hours of training, conditioning, and rehearsing required for some of the variety acts, or can relate to the strength and skill involved.

Also, since TPTB obviously thinks that singers drive ratings, they stack the deck for singers. The judges act like every singer has the most amazing voice they've ever heard. Plus, many of the singers have sob stories or emotional back stories. So even if people are not wowed by a given performance, they will still vote for the singer who has a dead or dying relative or has adopted multiple kids or overcome illness, bullying, fat shaming etc. (Or are having a baby. Wow! No one's done that before).

And has been often pointed out on this forum. the variety acts are always told they need to "step it up" or "surprise us" or add danger. It plants the idea with the audience that even if a variety act performs flawlessly, if it wasn't substantially different from what they did previously they've failed. Meanwhile, singers just have to sing another song. They're not even told they need to chose a song from a different genre, in order to show their versatility or "surprise us."

I also feel like the electric violin player is getting by on the back story of his crippling nerve disease. (Hopefully this is not something being exaggerated to manipulate the audience). And no way IMO the comic with Tourette's even gets on this show based on his material.

While deliberating between Aaron Crow and Future Kings, Howie said that this show is about community, family, and positive messages. Notably, he did not say it was about talent. At least he was being honest.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

Michael Ketterer (Singer/Kid adopter)

This is the best description of his act I've ever seen, thank you!  (I'm glad he adopts kids; I just think there should be another way to reward him.)

I hope Hans has a good post-show career.  He's either edgy Branson or family Vegas--either way I hope he gets an audience.

Cranky Senior Citizen here, but Simon's son, Eric, came off as quite conceited & annoying...

When he's on Simon's lap, he's not on your lawn--if he could take all the kids in the neighborhood with him, even better.

America worked with what we were given.  I didn't agree with all the results, but this was a week of a lot of cannon fodder anyway.

Instead of a filler act, they could make the top vote-getter from the previous week getting another chance to perform (and a performance fee.)  If you don't have enough material to fill another short performance, or America gets tired of the act, it's not a Vegas show, so that works out either way.  (Or the act could turn it down, but you could make it "a very high vote getter" to cover yourself.) 

11 hours ago, rr2911 said:

. Michael Ketterer should be judged based on his singing abilities not who has the best sob story. I hope he gets eliminated next round.

I highly doubt he will be. And I also doubt that Ketterer will be judged on the former. Simon even said, "He's a great guy." I hardly even remember if he had mentioned his singing. 

And as long as the powers that be/the producers keep making his package about his story of adopting five kids (one is biological, if I recall correctly) and how he's been a light to them. he'll keep going through. I remember watching Tuesday's show and noticed how Ketterer's package was edited. At one point, it was his kids talking about him, and after that, a shot of Michael quietly looking into the distance as if he's a messiah or something. Again, I applaud him for adopting the kids that he did and for loving them, and giving him as much as he has, but like you said, he should not be judged based on that. He should not have received the golden buzzer based on that, and she should not be in the finals based on that. Plus, I keep forgetting about his voice and the songs that he had sung. I just remember his story.

Oh, and as long as Simon keeps turning on the waterworks for Michael, people will vote. And the Facebook world will eat it up and talk about how much they too have cried.

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
Grammar!
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Oh, and as long as Simon keeps turning on the waterworks for Michael, people will vote.

It's puzzling to me because Michael is an establish CC singer and that genre doesn't seem to be Simon's cup of tea.

Add me to the chorus of those wishing they'd nix all the singing acts.  I'd really love the show to concentrate just on the variety acts.  I'd take that cute quick change duo any time over any of the singers.  If I wanted to watch a singing competition, I'd tune in to one!

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, lb60 said:

Eric Cowell is still adorable

I guess mileage varies on this one. I think he's already an entitled little brat who needs to be kept out of the limelight or he's going to grow up to be a mega tool jackass. Except I think it's too late. That the crew had to turn off the mic he insisted on talking into in spite of being told "no" spoke to that.

24 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

If I wanted to watch a singing competition, I'd tune in to one!

No kidding. Same here. I wish the singers would go somewhere else. Except they aren't good enough for AI or The Voice.

14 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I’m actually gonna miss Hans. He was fun and entertaining, made me smile, and didn’t make me grab for the fast-forward button. Auf Weidersehen, you delightful oddball!

Hans was such a breath of fresh air. If he replaced Tyra, that would solve two problems I have with this show: Hans going home and Tyra still being there.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I highly doubt he will be. And I also doubt that Ketterer will be judged on the former. Simon even said, "He's a great guy." I hardly even remember if he had mentioned his singing. 

The singing is sort of an afterthought. It's all about the back story, and clearly that's what people are being told to vote for. AGT isn't really a "talent show." It's a soap opera with entertainment.

1 hour ago, Cowgirl said:

Add me to the chorus of those wishing they'd nix all the singing acts.  I'd really love the show to concentrate just on the variety acts.  I'd take that cute quick change duo any time over any of the singers.  If I wanted to watch a singing competition, I'd tune in to one!

I'd take the quick change duo, the father-daughter acrobats, the trained cats, as well as several other variety acts I've probably already forgotten. The worst thing is that not only has this turned into a singing competition, but the singers are for the most part just not that good. Some of the singers on The Voice are also introduced to us with a back story, but then it generally gets dropped. We don't keep having it thrown in our face as a reason to vote for them.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I guess mileage varies on this one. I think he's already an entitled little brat who needs to be kept out of the limelight or he's going to grow up to be a mega tool jackass. Except I think it's too late. That the crew had to turn off the mic he insisted on talking into in spite of being told "no" spoke to that/

5 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

I hope Hans has a good post-show career.  He's either edgy Branson or family Vegas--either way I hope he gets an audience.

Don't forget, this show loves little kids. It can never have enough "cuteness." Actually, when I saw Zucaroh on stage during the eliminations, I was struck by how many little girls there are, something you don't always see during their performance. So I guess they could be considered a kid act, at least in part.

I wonder if "Hans"  has  other characters that he plays?. If so, I think that would make him a more viable act for a full show. I would really get tired of watching the Hans thing for more than about 20 minutes.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

This is the best description of his act I've ever seen, thank you!  (I'm glad he adopts kids; I just think there should be another way to reward him.)

For the record, the act descriptions came straight from Wikipedia. I just added to a few of them. Y'know, for clarity (so many singers and all). ;)

9 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

Instead of a filler act,

I liked that the filler act was an actual Broadway cast performance and not a previous contestant rehashing their glory days (though I love Darci so I did not mind her coming back at all).

9 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

a shot of Michael quietly looking into the distance as if he's a messiah or something. 

Well, his background is in Christian music, so I guess that's fitting.  

• Love 1

Even though I prefer Aaron Crow over The Future Kingz (we have enough dance troupes going into the semis) he was clearly trailing them and Daniel Emmett in the Dunkin Save, so this was another example of the judges putting through the act the producers preferred over the one the audience picked, and that still doesn't sit right with me. I really hope Aaron realizes what a lucky break he got and steps it up for the next round.

I had a feeling Hans was a goner, but it hurt to be proven right. Goodnight, sweet prince. You're the winner in my heart.

UDI Dance is an act that should have sailed through, but they had way too many mistakes to do so. Hopefully this was a learning moment for them.

Anybody else notice Christina Wells staying in the middle of the stage after it was time for her to vamoose and doing all these poses while Tyra prepared to read the next result? It was just a quick bit before they cut back to Tyra, but I found it in really poor taste. To use one of my dad's favorite sayings, somebody's getting a little too big for their britches.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, friendperidot said:

saber5055, I am so glad I was not partaking in a beverage. I hadn't noticed that! And I watched NYPD Blue all afternoon, so my language is stilted for the rest of the day.

That is funny, Friend.  I have been binge watching the Sopranos and find words coming out of my mouth that I have never said before and in a Jersey accent no less.

• Love 2

Boy, I don’t know what to say here.  i am disgusted with this season. AGT used to be my summertime crack, along side BB. Now I find myself having it on in the background while I play June‘s Journey and Sugar Smash on my iPad. I glance up every now and then, but this show has changed too much for me. I always understood it to be a variety show. It is far from that now. It has become a singing show and I’m tired of it and to top it all off, the one singer I enjoyed didn’t go through last night. Hans, you were robbed my friend. This really bothers. me because I couldn’t wait for AGT every year. Now I am like...whatever. I want my fun show back.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Happy Belly said:

Boy, I don’t know what to say here.  i am disgusted with this season. AGT used to be my summertime crack, along side BB. Now I find myself having it on in the background while I play June‘s Journey and Sugar Smash on my iPad. I glance up every now and then, but this show has changed too much for me. I always understood it to be a variety show. It is far from that now. It has become a singing show and I’m tired of it and to top it all off, the one singer I enjoyed didn’t go through last night. Hans, you were robbed my friend. This really bothers. me because I couldn’t wait for AGT every year. Now I am like...whatever. I want my fun show back.

I concur. To me the last good season was Season 11 (Nick's last season, I miss him as host). I actually stopped watching AGT after season 3 due to having summer evening classes that fell upon the same nights as AGT, and then stopped watching all together. I began watching it again at random when season 11 aired.

Even though season 11 have quite a few singers, and also quite a few more sob stories, its contestants were memorable. I remember the top ten from that season more than I do a good number of people from this season...and that includes the first four golden buzzers. I only remember Courtney because people keep talking about her.

• Love 1

giaNtsandYankees....my two favorite teams too! Now, back to Wednesday night’s AGT....i miss Nick also...I cant tolerate Tyra and the way she says “judges”..I will say I am really happy thatdance group with the male angel went through...very, very talented and fun to watch.

• Love 1

The show was painful as usual and it's hard to get excited or feel suspenseful on result night when every act is boring.

Tyra trying to talk hood was annoying, though I still want to slap her jugs around, so she gets a pass lol. Eric Cowell was annoying; I can imagine he's spoiled rotten and will probably grow up to be a brat.

Results:

Us the Duo - I don't know who would find an act that you could hear at any cafe to be entertaining enough to warrant voting for this much. Perhaps every other act is just as boring, so there's not much competition. I also hate how every husband/wife or Mother/Father/daughter type of act on this show has the pretentious man in a button up shirt and tied back hair with the whole "I drink lemonade out of mason jars and love Mother Earth" vibe.

Brian King Joseph - He has a high level of talent, but when you need to have backup dancers or anything like that behind you to inject more life into your performance, I think that's a huge impediment. His performance also had the vibe of "what a great way to start the show!" - when it's something the audience can clap along to instead of "feel" the performance, it always comes off as sub par.

Michael Ketterer - I am not sure if he himself can be faulted for the whole "muh kids" schtick that is repeated ad nauseam on TV, since that may be solely the producers doing that, but damn is it douchey. If the AGT curse holds true, at least we can take comfort knowing he won't have much of a career after the show.

Christina Wells - I have no idea why she is being pushed so hard on the show, since she is not marketable whatsoever. Merely having a good voice is nowhere near good enough to be famous, which you would think she would know, yet she is still just as rotund as when she auditioned. There may be a medical reason for her hair being so short, but that's probably not the case - with the hair and the weight, she looks like a female King Kong Bundy (to anyone familiar with wrestling) - people don't want to buy albums with average Joes on the cover. It's hardly coincidental that someone like Britney Spears' album sales went down the toilet when she was no longer a sex symbol.

Zurcaroh - It was good, but with so many of these types of acts over the years, how can you judge it beyond a simple pass/fail phrasing?

Daniel Emmet - Other than the Little Italy neighborhoods in every city, I don't know who would vote for this. I don't imagine anybody under the age of 70 has Pavarotti or anything similar in their playlist. Even if he did something like Josh Groban, it would be far more memorable.

Aaron Crow - The time allotted for every act is all over the place. "You get 90 seconds!", "You have 3 minutes" - and then you have an act like this where he can take 10+ minutes and nobody says anything. His act on Tuesday was hot garbage and he didn't deserve to advance based on that, but every other act is boring, so it's hardly about "who is good", but rather how much I am able to stay awake during each act.

• Love 1
On 8/30/2018 at 12:58 PM, saber5055 said:

Hans was such a breath of fresh air. If he replaced Tyra, that would solve two problems I have with this show: Hans going home and Tyra still being there.

Hans is great entertainment! That was so much fun.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I concur. To me the last good season was Season 11 (Nick's last season, I miss him as host). I actually stopped watching AGT after season 3 due to having summer evening classes that fell upon the same nights as AGT, and then stopped watching all together. I began watching it again at random when season 11 aired.

Even though season 11 have quite a few singers, and also quite a few more sob stories, its contestants were memorable. I remember the top ten from that season more than I do a good number of people from this season...and that includes the first four golden buzzers. I only remember Courtney because people keep talking about her.

So sick how for one act its WE ONLY HAVE SEVEN SPOTS WE NEED PERFECTION !!!! then next act BEING LESS THAN PERFECT IS OK THIS SHOW IS ABOUT THE SOB STORIES YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION !!!!

• Love 2

The wild card is front pictures. (Couldn't they have picked anyone else? They were good but they got a free pass to the Quarterfinals lost and now are back again)

Week 1:

Amanda Mena, Singer (Mel B GB)

Duo Transcend, Trapeze Duo

Front Pictures, Multimedia Act 

Junior New System, Dance Group

Makayla Phillips, Singer (Heidi GB)

Michael Ketterer, Singer (Simon GB)

Samuel J. Comroe, Stand-up Comedian

Shin Lim, Magician

Us the Duo, Band

Voices of Hope Children's Choir, Choir (Ken GB)

Zurcaroh, Acrobatic Group

Week 2:

Aaron Crow, Danger Act

Angel City Chorale, Choir (Olivia Munn GB)

Brian King Joseph, Electric Violinist

Christina Wells, Singer

Courtney Hadwin, Singer (Howie GB)

Daniel Emmet, Opera Singer 

Da RepubliK, Dance Group

Glennis Grace, Singer

Noah Guthrie, Singer/Guitarist 

Vicki Barbolak, Stand-up Comedienne 

We Three, Band

Courtney and Angel city got the better week IMO lot of weak acts in Week 2. Week 1 has 4 GB + Shin Lim.

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Love 1

Some predictions for the finals based on the lineups for the semis:

Week 1:

• Since Makayla Phillips, Junior New System, and Front Pictures all needed saves in the quarters, I think they're goners after this week.
  • I'd say Amanda Mena, Michael Ketterer, and Zurcaroh are all locks for the finals and will sail through without the save.
  • I think the save will come down to Voices of Hope and two other acts, and that Voices of Hope will get the Dunkin Save into the finals.

Week 2:

• Angel City Chorale, Daniel Emmet, Da RepubliK, and Aaron Crow will probably be eliminated since they all needed saves in the quarters; Da RepubliK and Aaron Crow were also chosen over the audience vote preference, so they are absolutely guaranteed to be gone.
  • Courtney Hadwin is obviously a lock for the finals.

The semis are hard to predict because acts are being matched up that haven't been matched up before so you can't always assume based on numbers. I remember last year there were a few acts that sailed through the quarters that got eliminated without a save in the semis, even behind some acts that had needed a save in the quarters.

And these predictions are not necessarily what I want to happen, just what I'm assuming based on the data we have. If anything, I don't like these odds at all and hope I'm wrong, with a few exceptions.

4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Some predictions for the finals based on the lineups for the semis:

Week 1:

• Since Makayla Phillips, Junior New System, and Front Pictures all needed saves in the quarters, I think they're goners after this week.
  • I'd say Amanda Mena, Michael Ketterer, and Zurcaroh are all locks for the finals and will sail through without the save.
  • I think the save will come down to Voices of Hope and two other acts, and that Voices of Hope will get the Dunkin Save into the finals.

Week 2:

• Angel City Chorale, Daniel Emmet, Da RepubliK, and Aaron Crow will probably be eliminated since they all needed saves in the quarters; Da RepubliK and Aaron Crow were also chosen over the audience vote preference, so they are absolutely guaranteed to be gone.
  • Courtney Hadwin is obviously a lock for the finals.

The semis are hard to predict because acts are being matched up that haven't been matched up before so you can't always assume based on numbers. I remember last year there were a few acts that sailed through the quarters that got eliminated without a save in the semis, even behind some acts that had needed a save in the quarters.

And these predictions are not necessarily what I want to happen, just what I'm assuming based on the data we have. If anything, I don't like these odds at all and hope I'm wrong, with a few exceptions.

Just for some data comparison :

Last season :

Dunkin Saves:

Christan Guardino

Evie Clair

Colin Cloud

Judges Choice:

Yoli

Eric Jones

Danell Daymon & Greater Works

Semi Final Results :

Yoli  Eliminated without a JC or DS

Eric Jones eliminated in JC

Danell Daymon & Greater Works Eliminated without a JC or DS

Evie Clair DS

Colin Cloud Eliminated in JC

Christian Guardino Eliminated without a JC or DS

Therefore pretty much being in the DS or JC is the kiss of death. None of these acts made the finals except Evie Clair who needed a second DS.

• Love 2

I am disappointed Sam (comic) didn’t make it through by public votes.  He has no shot at the win and I wanted that.  Comedians are my favorite acts and I would like to see more of them in the finals.  This show will benefit him tremendously, more so than the singers and troop acts.  He will get bookings at comedy clubs and be known enough to draw a crowd.  

• Love 1