Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Lots of TSs tonight. I got red, fainting goats (I think they are horrible, can't understand anyone wanting one much less breeding them to create more, but I see them for sale in spite of what I think), shy, Tesla and Daytona. Stock car was the key to that last one.

I got them too. I think fainting goats are hysterical, but I wouldn't want to own them - of any stripe - they're noisy (at least the ones at the county fair are).

12 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Me too not that impressed with the Agatha raisin series though

I've never seen or read the series. I'll have to check out the books.

11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I totally misinterpreted "shell" in FJ, and thought it meant like a bomb instead of a seashell, and said "All Quiet On The Western Front".  Maybe one day I'll actually read "Lord Of The Flies" -- then I'll get these Teen Tournament clues!  Also, I take back what I said last week about digging this tournament.  I am 0/2 so far this week.  Boo, hiss.

I guess Maggie was nervous -- she acted like she didn't want to be there.  I did feel bad for her, but at least she got to play in FJ.  Autumn's hair is glorious.

I'll sit over here in my lonely corner, liking the fainting goats.  They crack me up.  I know, I know, but I can't help but laugh when they fall over.  And Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs could not for the life of him startle one enough for it to fall over.  Anyway, I got that TS, along with red, Wuthering Heights, Pan, shy, and Tesla.

Corner for two. :) I misinterpreted shell too - but the date lead me to the background setting of the Lord of the Flies and I picked it, thinking that maybe there was an unexploded bomb on the island that I'd forgotten about. An actual sea shell didn't even occur to me. LOL

• Love 3

Maybe one day I'll actually read "Lord Of The Flies"

I read it in High School and still have no desire to re-read it.  Though, Lord of the Flies was the basis for one of the best Simpsons episodes ever. 

Heh, High School was lets say, quite a few years ago and I still have strong feelings about the books that I read that year in school that I hated (A Separate Peace and Watership Down being the others.  I just hated those rabbits).  But of course, there were also books that I read back then that I still love. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But hooray for Autumn's fabulous red hair. Love it, girl!

I liked her hair, but what was up with her head tilting?  (Not that I'm ragging on her, but it was noticeable.)  I guess maybe it had to do with her glasses?

I got pretty much every TS and then missed FJ.  I've never read Lord of the Flies, although I am somewhat familiar with the basics of the plot.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Damn videogames category; it stood in for TV shows to keep my “pop culture categories go completely unanswered” streak alive in this tournament.  I also managed to stare dumbly at the TV for a few of the album clues, but I got everything else.

I got Red Dead Redemption thanks to Big Bang Theory, but that was it for video games.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

So, am I the only one who read "Lord of the Flies" in high school and actually liked it?

I might be the only one who cannot remember one single book read in high school. I don't even remember if there were books we had to read. I do remember the plot of Lord of the Flies though, although I don't know why or how I know it. And I did get that previous FJ answer of "Piggy" referenced above.

I can barely remember anything about high school. I tend to block cr*ppy memories.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got red, Malta, Wuthering Heights, shy, Tesla, and Daytona (after the two wrong answers, so I didn't really get it).

I know too many Nascar fans to get Daytona wrong.  Plus, the Indianapolis 500 is Indycar, not stock car racing.

12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I made the same guess for the same reason. 

I said Doctor Doolittle, thinking shell for the giant sea snail.  Yeah, it was a really dumb answer.

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

read it in High School and still have no desire to re-read it.  Though, Lord of the Flies was the basis for one of the best Simpsons episodes ever. 

True 'dat.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

So, am I the only one who read "Lord of the Flies" in high school and actually liked it?  I thought--and still think--it's a great book.

I read it for 8th grade English and remember liking it. Jeopardy keeps reminding me I should read it as an adult. 

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

So, am I the only one who read "Lord of the Flies" in high school and actually liked it?  I thought--and still think--it's a great book.

I'm not sure I particularly liked it, but it happened that we were covering Hobbes and Leviathan in history class. I suspect that was planned to discuss the savage nature of humanity in the absence of rules and society.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Somehow I didn't encounter it until college, and thought it was a good book. Not sure I would re-read it though.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said Doctor Doolittle, thinking shell for the giant sea snail.  Yeah, it was a really dumb answer.

My first thought for shell was ammo-related, then I thought it might be a seashell, and The Shell Seekers popped into my head. I popped it back out and remained blank.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I thought it was good, as in well written.  But I didn't connect emotionally with the characters, or really understand why they would go quite so far (though as a frequent bullying victim, I knew the thrill of power would overcome any merciful tendencies!) as they did, and so it didn't really make as strong an impression as did many of the other books we read in high school.

I'm enjoying the tournament more than I thought, but will also be happy for regular games to begin again.

I had the dumbest guess for the shell FJ question. I thought of "The Stranger." Because I thought that story took place on a beach and the sound of the shell sounded existential. And, I mean, Jeopardy and Camus!

No spoilers about today, but I'll just say I didn't want any of them to lose.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

No, I liked it too. (There were actually very few books I read in high school that I didn't like.) But I don't particularly want to re-read it either.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Camus sounds like a British author to you?????

Nope, but I was focusing on the chapter title and skipped right over that part of the clue, which made it the stupidest guess.

• Love 4

I'm not sad that Claire won, but I really did want Autumn and her fabulous hair to win. 

I suppose I should give kids a break with the introductory antics, but I still rolled my eyes. 

Washington needed a BMS. 

FJ was one of those I second-guessed myself on, it seemed too obvious!  But I couldn't figure out who else it could be, so yay!  I got one right this week!

• Love 3
On 11/13/2018 at 7:12 PM, saber5055 said:

fainting goats (I think they are horrible, can't understand anyone wanting one much less breeding them to create more,

Couldn't agree more...much like BYBs (back yard breeders) who make a living breeding albino dobes.  It's a genetic defect.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought it might be a seashell

Which is why I said Robinson Crusoe.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

I had the dumbest guess for the shell FJ question. I thought of "The Stranger." Because I thought that story took place on a beach and the sound of the shell sounded existential. And, I mean, Jeopardy and Camus!

Hey, I know what you meant and, with appreciation, I give your post (and guess) A+. Except you spelled Camoo wrong.

I was sorry for Autumn having to compete 20 minutes (or so) after her win "yesterday." I didn't mind any of the kids' opening moves, even if I didn't understand what they were. I think the protocol for tournament intros has been set so expect more in this tourney and those yet to come.

I wonder if the champions will do some dorky routine though. I guess if Austin is there, then yes.

What was that square thing on the back of Claire's head? I could see it during her (hour-long, geezy pete) interview. It's like she had a black box glued on the back of her head.

Man, those interviews though. Blah blah blah blah. Wake me when you're done.

29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was one of those I second-guessed myself on, it seemed too obvious!  But I couldn't figure out who else it could be

My brain blanked so all I could come up with was Scopes, as in the Scopes Monkey Trial. Hooray for independent thinking!

• Love 1

Claire is a high-school triple threat - beautiful, smart and talented. Lucky kid! I got a bunch of TS's that I can't recall at the moment, but that's probably because I'm more than twice their ages and have been around the block. It seems like the Teen Tournament this year has been tougher than I remember in past years, but who knows.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

What was that square thing on the back of Claire's head? I could see it during her (hour-long, geezy pete) interview. It's like she had a black box glued on the back of her head.

I thought it was a giant bow in the back that she had gathering her hair off the one side.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, SHD said:

I thought it was a giant bow in the back that she had gathering her hair off the one side.

If she had any of her hair pulled back, a mombo bow would make sense. But here's her hair. No reason for a bow.

claire-sattler-jeopardy-winner-november-14-2018-300x213.jpg

Great start to the semi-finals; these kids are impressive, and what a close game!

Private practice was the only TS that surprised me.  Peso, boxing, and capital gains I would also, if asked in advance, have said, “Yes, I think at least one of three Teen Tournament contenders will know that,” but private practice is the only one that surprised me when they didn’t.

That the “I Have a Dream” speech was given by MLK Jr. belongs nowhere on this show unless they actually do implement a Toddler Tournament.

There seemed to be an edit between Claire's answer to the RPM clue and Alex's "I'm used to revolutions, but we'll take that" ruling, so I think they paused taping while deciding whether rotations was acceptable. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Can someone explain "brother from another mother" being in the alliteration category?

That clue was in the sibling category, not the alliteration category.  And I liked Claire's little "this is funny" smile on answering it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I got Moriarty, boxing, peso, and capital gains. 

Those are the same ones I got.

Speaking of Moriarty, more people should watch Elementary.  It's a kick ass show!

I also got FJ, after briefly thinking Scopes.

• Love 6

Sucks to all your assmars; I read Lord of the Flies in 7th grade English and loved it. Maybe the younger you are when you encounter it has something to do with how much you enjoyed it. I might read it again and see how much adult me still sees in it.

This was a great game to start the semifinals.  I kind of checked out during the first rounds -- show was on, but I was probably also playing the new Candy Crush? -- because Teen Tournament, so these kids were a nice surprise.  Autumn was a bit much for me, if I'm honest.

I lol'd that none of the teens knew about the capital gains tax.  I was also proud to run the cookie category, and the African Americans category, but no others.

FJ must have been meant as, like, a lesson in wagering strategy though. Otherwise there's no reason for "who wrote about evolution?"

• Love 5
15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The Shell Seekers 

Great book.

I got annoyed when Claire’s interview kept going. I was worried that it would mean that they wouldn’t have time to clear the board. Alex “How does it feel to be part of the Claire Satler show?” was a bit unexpected. He doesn’t like sharing the lime light. I got all three DD’s and a few of the TSers. For FJ I guessed Dr Livingstone. Must have been all of the chat re: Scotland. I felt like a complete dummy when I saw that it was Darwin. 

• Love 2

I rarely watch in real-time and when I do, I mute everything but the game play, including the introductions. So with that in mind, as I watched last night in real-time...was Claire re-enacting the Ring Cycle or what? That story went on and on and on. I thought they'd have to jump right to FJ after that.

• Love 4

I, too, thought I must have FJ wrong, it was too easy. The answer came to mind while the clue was still being read, and I took the 30 seconds to try to think of something else. Surely it couldn't be what it seemed? Talk about Toddler Jeopardy! This was more like Zygote Jeopardy!

My TS were the same as everyone here, private practice, capital gains, peso. Maybe the peso was 'before their time' :)

It's been an unexpectedly fun tournament, I've enjoyed all the contestants. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got annoyed when Claire’s interview kept going. I was worried that it would mean that they wouldn’t have time to clear the board. Alex “How does it feel to be part of the Claire Satler show?” was a bit unexpected. He doesn’t like sharing the lime light. 

Alex did get a laugh out of me when he said to Tim something like, "Well, we ran out of time." 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Alex did get a laugh out of me when he said to Tim something like, "Well, we ran out of time." 

That was funny!

14-year-old mini Toothbrush #1 answered all questions correctly except for capital gains, Moriarty, and 1 other that I can't remember now. Not sure if I was more proud of that, or a couple of snarky comments he made regarding how easy some of the clues were.

I love the OPI nail polish color puns, and have chosen a color based on them. But then again I have also been known to buy wine because I liked the label &/or the name. 

Speaking of wine...

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Ohhhhh. I blame the wine.

My #1 excuse when I'm not blaming the hubby or kids..lol 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got Moriarty, boxing, peso, and capital gains. 

I said peseta, because that is what Spain used prior to the Euro.  They did not use pesos after the early 18th century.  So technically the answer was correct, but the clue seems badly written to me.

7 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

Autumn was a bit much for me, if I'm honest.

She was for me as well, but nothing on the level of any of the adult contestants who annoyed me.  So I'd have been okay with her winning.

1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

I love the OPI nail polish color puns, and have chosen a color based on them. But then again I have also been known to buy wine because I liked the label &/or the name. 

My friend and I joke about a particular bottle of wine chosen because of its "Flaming Jesus" label.  (It was probably an angel, but it looked like Flaming Jesus to us.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Speaking of wine...

My #1 excuse when I'm not blaming the hubby or kids..lol 

This is why I drink wine every day, so I'll have an excuse for my boo-boo's.

I didn't realize OPI had punny/funny color names. Looking at their website I find Butterfly Me To The Moon, Now Museum Now You Don't, Machu Peach-u, and Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ!

• Love 5

I was thinking "girl power! Wow, all these gals have been so smart!" Then it turned out she bet so big *with a runaway game* on FJ that if she hadn't been right, she could have lost the game. WHYYYYY did she bet anything?! Girl. It's not cumulative until the finals.

• Love 10

My husband said the same thing....why would she even bet $8000? STUPID bet for such a smart girl.

On the nail polish color, I think I have a beautiful red called "I'm not really a waitress"? I am going to go check it now! :>)

Cannot wait to see the baby talking girl on tomorrow most likely. She was the wild card. Forget her name!

Go Maya. I am not sure why she wagered that way but at least she won.  All are impressive. Talented in languages.  I hope she does well in the finals.  I was on fire in most categories.  But it is the teen tournament. Some clues were extremely easy

• Love 6

Bad wager by Maya, but I'm glad it worked out for her!  She was pretty impressive, other than the FJ bet.  Not sure why the boys bet anything, either, for that matter.

Another instaget FJ for me, surprisingly.  I mean, I wasn't quite as surprised as Maya to get it right, but to me, it was the only logical response.

I also managed to get rogue, Lincoln (surprising TS), salmon, caucuses, Ted Cruz, and sycophant. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

As for FJ bidding, why not. Nothing ventured. I admired Maya for being bold. If she were a boy, that bet would have been called ballsy.

No, if she were a boy it would have also been stupid. She already won the game. Nobody else could catch her if she bet zero. The only thing she could have done was lost the game. And since it's a tournament, it's not like she "made extra money" with that move.

• Love 16
10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If she were a boy, that bet would have been called ballsy.

Nah, it still would have been a bad wager if she were a boy.  If it hadn't been a runaway game, it would have been ballsy.  They don't get to keep this money, and only the winner advances at this point, so betting to lose is not smart regardless of gender.

• Love 9

BTW, other women of the era who weren’t wives of famous men include Molly Pitcher, who actually could have been one of several women, Deborah Sampson, who posed as a man and enlisted and fought in the Continental Army, and poet Phyllis Wheatley.

• Love 5