Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Wow, Dylan had some ridiculous guesses. Kinda shocked me.

I got ronin, thermometer, Marvin Gaye, Shaft, and law students. What was with Dylan saying "farmers?" And what was with Alex saying, "Who ya gonna call?" re Shaft? Obviously he confused that with Ghostbusters.

I got FJ though, like others, I wondered if it was another American song. But I figured I should go with the obvious.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I couldn't believe they missed Marvin Gaye!  But even more surprising to me, anyway, was the TS of rafting!  I expected maybe guesses of kayaking or canoeing, but rapids (twice!) and whatever the former champ said?  Astonishing.  I think they must have all misread the clue.  And I guess Shaft was before their time.  In addition to those, I also got lunge (I took fencing in college!), Ronin, Scotchguard, law students, and thermometer.  Which was another one that surprised me.  But probably also another case of misreading the clue.

I am embarrassed to say that it took me a few seconds to get FJ, but I did in plenty of time to write it down.

You're embarrassed? I said "New York, New York" - talk about embarrassed. The National Anthem never even entered my mind.

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I did get FJ, but I wasn't sure. I knew there was a connection to 9/11, but I wondered if it was some other patriotic song, like "God Bless America" or even a New York song.

Yep, never even occurred to me until the mister said the right answer and then I was, D'Oh!

1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

I got ronin, thermometer, Marvin Gaye, Shaft, and law students. What was with Dylan saying "farmers?" And what was with Alex saying, "Who ya gonna call?" re Shaft? Obviously he confused that with Ghostbusters.

We had a good laugh at that one.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

When the "Buckingham Palace band played this" clue first came up, I immediately thought of their fabulous rendition of Respect to honor Ms. Aretha.  Then when I read on to the date, I briefly tossed a few "Yay, America" songs around in my head as possibilities before deciding it was probably our national anthem (once it was confirmed, I had a vague recollection of it happening, but it obviously didn't stick in my mind -- I was on a hiking trip at the time, yet still overloaded with the nightly news and only select moments remain in my memory bank).

A lot of TS surprised me tonight – Scotchgard and Marvin Gaye most of all, but also rafting, thermometer, lunge, Neigh (surprising because of the horse sound part of the clue), and law students (with the Grisham and "of course," it would be lawyer, but then it said class, so law students seemed something at least one would reason their way to, even if, like me, they've never read any of his books and only seen a few film adaptations).  Ronin and Shaft a little, too.  I can't remember any TS I got that didn't surprise me at least a bit other than Pro Tools; it was quite a night of "Seriously, none of you know that/can figure that out?"

I was annoyed they only got to one Denzel Washington movie clue, but at least it was one of my favorites, Remember the Titans.

We got a “boo, hiss,” at least.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not knowing "Ney," and pretending I was on Hollywood Squares that requires a joke answer first, I said, "Whinny."

That's what my husband came up with - I thought it was better than my "ney" - since it sounded more like a name.

• Love 1

I didn't get Scotchguard, although I knew what they were going for, I said telescope instead of thermometer because hey, Galileo, and I had no clue on Pro Tools, but did got all the other stumpers.  Marvin Gaye and Shaft?  Really?  No one knew those?  I despair, I really do.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Horses also nicker. Mine do when they see me coming with their dinner.

Interestingly, there was a prominent figure in French history from around that time named Necker.  Okay, he was Louis XVI's minister of finance, not a cavalry leader, but still, it was the closest thing I could think of.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Marvin Gaye and Shaft?  Really?  No one knew those?  I despair, I really do.

Trebek didn't even give them an "It was before your time" excuse.

• Love 2

Some day the show will have a "Sounds The Same/Spelled Differently" clue for horse-sound nickers and golf-pants knickers. You guys will thank me then.

29 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Interestingly, there was a prominent figure in French history from around that time named Necker.

There is a Necker's Jewelry shop near me. Not that it means anything here, just sayin'. Because I can.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said telescope instead of thermometer because hey, Galileo

I said telescope too, and I HAVE a Galileo thermometer.  Thing is obnoxious with it’s rattling when you are trying to walk silently.

I don’t even really understand what ProTools does but I would think the clue made it pretty damn obvious.  Although now that I think about it isn’t ProTools what you would use in AIM chat rooms in the 90’s to make your text all fancy-like?

I looooooove football.  Love love love it.  But Thursdays means no Jeopardy! and that makes me sad.

Edited by mojoween

Once upon a time, I knew who became an Apostle when, but I sure couldn't come up with the right one tonight.  I'm going to chalk it up to not being a Catholic.

Pretty good game tonight, though there were some surprising TS again.  Not as bad as last night, but still.  The ones I got include elucidate, Indiana Jones (!), Frank Sinatra, Antietam, Golden, Sulphur, 150, and four. 

Reiner should have had a BMS.

• Love 5

Yesterday, I got lunge (I fenced in college, too), ronin, Scotchgard, rafting, law students and Shaft (shut yo' mouth). The 9/11 Star Spangled Banner FJ surprised me with my emotional reaction. It actually caught in my throat.

Today, I loved the guy who was a Porta-Potty cleaner, but I like Adrianna, too. She's a good champ. My gets were intimidate, elucidate, Frank Sinatra, Antietam, 150, 4, and Evangeline. I agree that "Reiner" needed a BMS. FJ was an enbarrasing miss. That's the kind of thing I feel like I should know. I thought of James (Jesus's brother) or Stephen, although I know the Feast of Stephen is after Christmas, and finally settled on Peter. Oops.

• Love 1

As soon as I saw  the FJ category, I put a big X on my scorecard because I knew there was no chance. I said Stephen because all I could think of is that holiday song that goes, "Something something, something something, blah blah Feast of STE-phen..." So that was my very wrong guess.

Joining the chorus of people who think Reiner needed a BMS.

• Love 5

I did as well in FJ as one would expect from the category and my near-total ignorance of all things religion/mythology.

Vocabulary categories are among my favorites, so I was a little bummed to see two “date” clues prove TS; elucidate, fine, but intimidate kind of surprised me.  Sulphur Springs, Andrew Johnson, and quartet, too.  Sinatra low-key surprised me as a TS as well; the movie gives the time frame, and then Hoboken tells us it’s someone from New Jersey – come on, one of them should have reasoned their way to that.  I guess that one contestant sort of counts, since he seemed to “know” but couldn’t spit it out (probably along the lines of “oh, jeez, that really famous singer, why is this not coming to me?!”).

I have zero interest in the Indiana Jones franchise, something I’m often alone in, so it kind of amused me for that one to be a TS.

My true surprise of the night among TS was 150 (years).

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

I said Stephen because all I could think of is that holiday song that goes, "Something something, something something, blah blah Feast of STE-phen..." So that was my very wrong guess.

That was my guess, too. As each wrong answer was revealed, I was hoping that I wild-guessed right. Oh well. I'm a lapsed Catholic.

I got Frank Sinatra, Golden, and Andrew Johnson.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Oh well. I'm a lapsed Catholic.

I refer to myself as a recovering Catholic.  

I said Peter.  Probably should have paid more attention during my days in CCD.  

Otherwise, I had a crappy night.  I only got Sinatra and Antietam.

SHD--Good King Wenceslas.  

Edited by lb60
  • Love 4

I really like Adrianna. I mean I hate her <wink wink> I liked all 3 contestants Thursday. 

TS I got were intimidate; Indiana Jones; Frank Sinatra; Golden, CO; Sulphur Springs; 150 years; 4; Andrew Johnson; Evangeline. FJ was an insta-get, but between Catholic school from K-12, 3 kids currently in Catholic school, and a son named Andrew, it better have been! 

Is it just me or are DDs really easy lately? Or just easy if you know it? We got a GFY to the porta-potty guy <drink!>

Agree that Reiner needed a BMS. 

7 hours ago, SHD said:

Trebek didn't even give them an "It was before your time" excuse.

Shaft was before my time & the only Marvin Gaye song that wasn't BMT was Sexual Healing (even though it was BMT as in a 10-year old didn't need to be listening to it), but I got them both. No excuses Jeoptestants! 

7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

There is a Necker's Jewelry shop near me. Not that it means anything here, just sayin'. Because I can.

Isn't it also the name of Richard Branson's island?

4 hours ago, lurk3000 said:

I'm officially old. No one knew Indiana Jones?! 

No, they're just clueless (no pun intended). My 13-year old got it. 

• Love 5

I randomly looked up Julian Hawthorne last night since he was a recent FJ answer.  I thought this was amusing.  THis is from the letter Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote to his sister when Julian was born :

"A small troglodyte made his appearance here at ten minutes to six o'clock, this morning, who claims to be your nephew, and the heir of all our wealth and honors. He has dark hair and is no great beauty at present, but is said to be a particularly fine little urchin by everybody who has seen him.[4]"

Nothing to add about last night.  Didn't know FJ.  Thought it was Paul.  Or John, but then I was confusing John the Baptist with John the Apostle.  I could have just put John though and likely would have counted, if it was correct

Sinatra (rather easy), Golden Colorado (years of NFL games and thousands of beer commercials pay off) and Andrew Johnson, Antietam I knew

• Love 4

That FJ was freaking brutal for me. Even 18 years of forced church and Sunday School couldn't save me. I'm glad Adriana survived that game. I was worried when she fell behind at the end of DJ. 

We've had some obvious TS's lately. I'd start writing down my gets again but lately I'm always doing something else while I'm watching. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I do too!

The answer to FJ surprised me tonight. I could have sworn Peter was the first apostle.

As I (vaguely) recall the story from Sunday School back in the day, Andrew was Peter's younger brother.  He met Jesus first, and then brought Peter to meet Him.  I did think of Andrew as a response, but it was a guess without a whole lot of confidence in it.

I'm a deacon in my church, so I should probably know this stuff better. :-)

• Love 2

Just binge-watched three eps, so here are my correct and FJ answers: 

Tuesday: Gilt, Clarke, Bavaria, Sisters are doing it for themselves, Alexander. FJ-Annette Benning (wrong)

Wednesday: Ronin, Scotchguard, Whitewater rafting, Marvin Gaye, Shaft, Ney , FJ-Star Spangled Banner

Thursday: Intimidate, Indiana Jones, Sinatra, Antietam, 150, 9, Andrew Johnson, FJ-Peter (wrong)

From upthread—The Who ya gonna call? for Shaft is from the song (“Who ya gonna call? John Shaft!”), not a Ghostbusters reference. I got Marvin Gaye from the rap at the end of Janelle Monae’s song Q.U.E.E.N., “I’m tired of Marvin asking me what’s goin’ on”. I got Martial Ney from listening to the Revolutions podcast, which spent several dozen episodes on the French Revolution. (Highly recommended, btw!)

13 hours ago, lurk3000 said:

I'm officially old. No one knew Indiana Jones?! 

I know, right?

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I do too!

The answer to FJ surprised me tonight. I could have sworn Peter was the first apostle.

I could only name 9 of them - and Judas was definitely out of the running. So I failed to get the answer. But then I've only been religion adjacent most of my life. Most of what I know I've learned in lit classes and tv shows.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have zero interest in the Indiana Jones franchise, something I’m often alone in, so it kind of amused me for that one to be a TS.

The first one was the best (which included the map of the flight, I believe). But sadly (for me) it doesn't age well.

11 hours ago, SHD said:

Joining the chorus of people who think Reiner needed a BMS.

Yeah, that was like accepting Adams for a high level American politician in the early days of the country. Father and son, people. BMS.

31 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

From upthread—The Who ya gonna call? for Shaft is from the song (“Who ya gonna call? John Shaft!”), not a Ghostbusters reference. I got Marvin Gaye from the rap at the end of Janelle Monae’s song Q.U.E.E.N., “I’m tired of Marvin asking me what’s goin’ on”. I got Martial Ney from listening to the Revolutions podcast, which spent several dozen episodes on the French Revolution. (Highly recommended, btw!)

I thought it was too, but none of the lyric sites I looked at include that line. (https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/isaachayes/themefromshaft.html. (on the other hand, they don't include the line with the curse word, so I'm not sure they're right.)

But even if it is in the song,  "Ghostbusters" is the most familiar response to that question in pop culture. So most people are going respond "Ghostbusters" to the "who you gonna call" line. There are other, more defining, lyrics from Shaft - say..."can you dig it?" or "shut your mouth"

Edited by Clanstarling
9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Is it just me or are DDs really easy lately? Or just easy if you know it?

I think they've been pretty easy for the most part, and it seems like the other clues in the same category are tougher.

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I randomly looked up Julian Hawthorne last night since he was a recent FJ answer.  I thought this was amusing.  THis is from the letter Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote to his sister when Julian was born :

"A small troglodyte made his appearance here at ten minutes to six o'clock, this morning, who claims to be your nephew, and the heir of all our wealth and honors. He has dark hair and is no great beauty at present, but is said to be a particularly fine little urchin by everybody who has seen him.[4]"

Now THAT'S a birth announcement!

5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought it was too, but none of the lyric sites I looked at include that line. (https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/isaachayes/themefromshaft.html. (on the other hand, they don't include the line with the curse word, so I'm not sure they're right.)

Yes, I too had checked lyric sites before I posted about it, just to make sure. Maybe I have to actually listen to the whole song before I make a final decision.

Decent night. Got all three DD’s as well as Indiana Jones (yes that makes me feel old as even my grandchildren haven’t seen the movie), Sinatra, Antietem, Sulpher, and 150. On the bandwagon of a BMS on Reiner. Is it me or is everyone taking their sweet time lately? Last night wasn’t too bad, but more often than not the boards are not getting cleared. I was horrified the other night when they only had time for one Denzel answer. 

Another J!less night because the local station wanted everyone to see the Christmas tree lighting on the green. For a solid hour. You know, I wouldn't be half as annoyed if they would schedule J! for a later time and announce when it would be on. All they have to do is run a crawl at the bottom of the screen. But no. Because they're assholes.

• Love 7

I'm obviously in the minority here.  I didn't particularly like Adrianna but when she mentioned going to the dog park to chase after other people dogs (her terms) for some love I was ready for anyone else to win.  Maybe because I have a house full of rescue critters, maybe because I've volunteered in rescue ((hence the house full) but for crying out loud go rescue one.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, deemac said:

but for crying out loud go rescue one.

Maybe she's not allowed to have pets where she lives.  Or maybe, like me, she has a terribly long commute and is away from her home longer than she's at it in any given day.  I'd love to have another dog, but I don't think it's fair to the dog for me to leave it all alone for the better part of a day.  I have to get my puppy snuggles where I can, and that's usually with someone else's dog. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Maybe she's not allowed to have pets where she lives.  Or maybe, like me, she has a terribly long commute and is away from her home longer than she's at it in any given day.  I'd love to have another dog, but I don't think it's fair to the dog for me to leave it all alone for the better part of a day.  I have to get my puppy snuggles where I can, and that's usually with someone else's dog. 

My daughter can't have a cat because my husband's very allergic. So she volunteers at the local shelter to get her cat snuggles. It's helped her mood considerably.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, deemac said:

I'm obviously in the minority here.  I didn't particularly like Adrianna but when she mentioned going to the dog park to chase after other people dogs (her terms) for some love I was ready for anyone else to win.  Maybe because I have a house full of rescue critters, maybe because I've volunteered in rescue ((hence the house full) but for crying out loud go rescue one.

My boyfriend doesn’t chase dogs but does like to go to dog parks and pet the dogs, since she is from SF I suggested he be on the look out for her next time he is at one. He would love a dog but we can’t have one and a rent controlled apartment in SF is priceless, so no dog for him and she could have a similar situation.

• Love 4

Bad enough that no one knew (or even attempted to guess) McGarrett from Hawaii 5-0, but no one knew that Traveller was Robert E. Lee's horse??? As to FJ, the former champ had no guess and the other two apparently named the only Old West city they could think of (Dodge City, not even the right state), whereas I thought it was an Instant Get!! I'm sure there were other TS that I got, but these were the ones that stuck out in my mind.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My daughter can't have a cat because my husband's very allergic. So she volunteers at the local shelter to get her cat snuggles. It's helped her mood considerably.

Yes,

Many shelters encourage people to socialize with animals there, it can help a great deal with adoptions for some of the animals.

• Love 1

FJ was ridiculously easy for me today. I was just in Tombstone a few weeks ago, and a close friend of mine graduated from Tombstone High. 

I liked and ran the famous names category. 

I was sorry to see Adriana lose, but she wasn't very fast on the buzzer today. 

As someone who is emphatically child-free by choice, I can't imagine having five kids under school age in my home. My sister has six, but they're really spread apart in age, and even her house stresses me out. Yikes! 

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, teebax said:

I liked and ran the famous names category

Which included "Stan Lee", RIP. Since this episode was filmed before he died, should he be considered a victim of the "Jeopardy curse"?

• Love 6

I was clueless yet again on FJ tonight.  And I've even been to Tombstone!  Dates in history are clearly not my strong suit.

I also couldn't come up with McGarrett, though I knew the show was Hawaii 5-0.

34 minutes ago, teebax said:

As someone who is emphatically child-free by choice, I can't imagine having five kids under school age in my home. My sister has six, but they're really spread apart in age, and even her house stresses me out. Yikes! 

I am 100% with you on that, @teebax

Despite my abysmal showing for FJ this week, I did manage to come up with the TS tonight of dog, Robert E. Lee (I live in Virginia -- I'd have to move if I missed that one), Stan Lee, and St. Paul's Cathedral.

• Love 5

I was prepared to root for Elizabeth since Pleasant Ridge is nearby but I have an issue with home schooling (admitted personal bias).  Felt bad for her when she couldn't buzz in fast enough to get our local weather guy on the Lansing clue and she was gutsy in her DD wagers.

I got Traveler (history major at William and Mary) and St. Paul (W&M shares a Christopher Wren link) and was feeling smug about how easy FJ was when I realized St. Andrew was probably easy for others and I had no clue.  Sent my ego crashing back to reality.

• Love 7
On 11/27/2018 at 7:55 PM, ClareWalks said:

I had no clue for FJ today. I could not come up with a single movie from 1997 besides Titanic. My brain just kept screaming "TITANIC! GAAAAAH TITANIC" at me throughout the whole Jeopardy theme song.

I thought of Titanic at first (the only movie I associate with 1997), but then I realized that the movie was likely from 1996 to have won an Oscar in 1997. And then I had absolutely nothing!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HissyFit said:

FJ was a TS???  My memory of actual history often fails me, but I can't forget Val Kilmer, Kurt Russell and Sam Elliott in "Tombstone."

Sigh. "I'm your huckleberry."

Sigh indeed.  Tombstone was the only answer I came up with, but when I saw Dodge City I thought "Uh oh", maybe that's it.  Then Deadwood came to mind, but considering that Jeopardy! is supposed to be all about mainstream, popular knowledge, Tombstone was the only real choice. 

Elizabeth's precise manner of speaking is a turnoff for me.  A speaker can elucidate (har!) without coming off as superior -- Alex does it.  I will probably FF all the games until she's gone.  I really liked Adriana. 

• Love 4

ARGH! I thought FJ was where the shootout at the OK Corral took place, but I couldn't remember the city. So I just settled on Deadwood.

I took a guess on dog (yay). The other TS I got was Ridley Scott. I drew a blank on Steve McGarrett.

• Love 2