Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

For those of you annoyed with Tori's weaving, I hope you took your Dramamine before watching sea-sickness-inducing Allen. Be careful what you wish for.

Sorry to see Tori go, but yeay that the new champ is another woman.

For FJ I said Ron Popeil. And then I burst out laughing.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I bombed the first round until I finally engaged my brain. 

I didn't engage my brain until FJ.

Dyson was my first thought.  Go, me!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I missed first part of show today due to breaking news.

I also easily got FJ. Surprised it stumped 2 of them.

At least you got half the show. My channel cut out due to "technical difficulties" from after the first few questions ntil right before FJ. Which I also got easily - maybe the other two don't vacuum? Or maybe they just don't have pets. We've had Dyson Animals for years.

• Love 2

I am adding the Play by Picture category to my list of dream categories.  I had fun with it.  Wasn't really invested in who won but since I am in Maine at the moment, I was kind of rooting for Allen despite the swaying.  Going to hide in the corner now.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

I bombed the first round until I finally engaged my brain. I ended up getting Richard Burton, Richelieu, Columbia University, and FJ—Dyson. 

The Richelieu TS really surprised me! I got it instantly, and it is most definitely not my area of expertise.

• Love 5

I would like to thank The Three Musketeers for my correct response of Cardinal Richelieu.  And my Dyson Animal vacuum for my instaget of FJ.  Although, when I saw the category, I pre-guessed Ron Popeil!

All three of them kind of bugged me tonight, but I think the new champ is the lesser of the evils, so I’m glad she was able to come up with the correct response for FJ.  But she seemed surprised that she was allowed to wager up to $2000 on the first DD in the second round, which made me wonder if she’s seen the game.  Surely that’s a well-known rule?

I also got Cape Town.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to thank The Three Musketeers for my correct response of Cardinal Richelieu.  

Not Monty Python? Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

• Love 9

Instead of Richelieu, Robespierre came to mind. I suppose my mind mixed up two "R" Frenchmen.

The only TS I got was Richard Burton. FJ came instantly to me, and I was surprised only one contestant got it right.

How did Alex pronounce pavilion? I'll have to rewatch because it sounded odd to me.

• Love 2

It was another archive night, so I couldn’t see the playbills, but I still got three of the titles just from the author and the puns within the clues.

I know I shouldn’t ever be surprised by geography clues being TS, but Cape Town did surprise me a little.  As did Columbia as the journalism school.

FJ was an instaget; I have a Dyson vacuum, so I’m readily familiar with the design, and hearing his accent in all the commercials meant the British part of the clue confirmed it for me.

• Love 2

Columbia came out of my mouth without a thought behind it. What a surprise! I guess somewhere in this aging brain a synapse fired.

Dyson was easy - the man likes his balls. I don't have one of the vacuums, but I've always considered getting one.

I should have gotten the Inquisitor from Monty Python, instead I got it from a more recent show - The Ministry of Time (El ministerio del tiempo  is the real title). I love this Spanish time travel show, and have learned a lot about Spanish history. Plus, Spanish is such a nice language to hear (while keeping my eye on the subtitles).

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I should have gotten the Inquisitor from Monty Python, instead I got it from a more recent show - The Ministry of Time (El ministerio del tiempo  is the real title). I love this Spanish time travel show, and have learned a lot about Spanish history. Plus, Spanish is such a nice language to hear (while keeping my eye on the subtitles).

No one would have expected that. :) I spent a semester in Spain back in 2001. It was a very interesting experience. I used to be fluent, pero ya no. 

36 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Dyson was easy - the man likes his balls. I don't have one of the vacuums, but I've always considered getting one.

Ha. They aren't cheap though. I got a refurbished one off of a Woot deal once and they definitely suck. That thing got me my full rental deposit back. 

• Love 3

Recorded the episode and I'm in the kitchen having a midnight snack and I yell out Dyson before Alex even finished reading the clue, thinking all the while there's going to be a high payday today everyone's going to get this one right. Imagine my surprise when two people missed this easy clue and one even had the nerve to guess  Richard Branson! By the way Dyson came out with that $400 blow dryer and now they have a  curling iron just that expensive. I think I'll pass on that one too. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Ha. They aren't cheap though. I got a refurbished one off of a Woot deal once and they definitely suck. That thing got me my full rental deposit back. 

My local vacuum cleaner salesman refuses to sell them, that's how bad he considers them. I knew FJ from the ads with the British pitchman, not from personal experience.

I also got Richelieu and Richard Burton. Too bad the latter was a high dollar clue that nobody knew. He and Elizabeth Taylor were the Brangelina of the 60's. If they were alive today, they'd be in the tabloids everywhere as Richabeth. I felt bad for Burton when he was nominated for Equus, which was commonly thought to be his last chance, and then he had to hear, "The winner is Richard...Dreyfuss for The Goodbye Girl." 

• Love 8
18 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Aren't all grits corn?

Yes..lol  However, I was thinking of the 'gild-the-lily' corn grits at a restaurant in NOLA which are cooked with cream, kernels of corn, and scallions. Or is is shallots? (it's scallions ;-) ) And, yep, ate them this weekend. My food bump is bigger than Meghan Markle's baby bump at this point. 

• Love 9
On 10/29/2018 at 9:58 PM, Bastet said:

My learn something new for the day was learning the name for playing dead (I got it based on the clue, but had never heard the word before; I have filed thanatosis away in my mental trivia bank).

22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yes, I loved learning that. I never thought there was a word for it. Knowing of the villain Thanos makes remembering thanatosis a little easier.

I learned that Greek root thanatos from the poem "Thanatopsis," (or meditation on death) which I was *obsessed* with in high school when one does such things, and I never forgot it. At least my brother thought I was cool when I could explain Thanos's name to him.

I really liked the Play by Picture category; they can bring that one back a few times in place of one or thirty of the college categories they've got planned over the next few months.  I liked Tori's speed, too bad she couldn't hang in there.  I liked Allen too.  I was mostly listening to the game while working, so I didn't see him swaying, but that's not something that usually bothers me, and I loved his shoutout to one of my favorite cartoons when he answered hassenpfeffer correctly.  For my part, I got Cardinal Richelieu because of Barbara Pym, but I missed FJ.  I don't think I ever knew Dyson is British.

Tori's story was cute, and I liked that everyone laughed once she got her Phoenix/phonics pun out there.

• Love 6

I had a decent night, but the beau did better! He shouted out Dyson so fast that I didn’t even have time to finish reading the clue. This makes me happy because he never watched the show before I entered into his life. Now it’s something that we can both enjoy together with our espresso and cognac. (I think he pours the latter thinking if he can get me tipsy he can beat me) 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

No one would have expected that. :) I spent a semester in Spain back in 2001. It was a very interesting experience. I used to be fluent, pero ya no.

We were stationed in Spain when I was in elementary school (a long time ago), I didn't get fluent, but I did well enough to slide through my high school Spanish.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also got Richelieu and Richard Burton. Too bad the latter was a high dollar clue that nobody knew. He and Elizabeth Taylor were the Brangelina of the 60's. If they were alive today, they'd be in the tabloids everywhere as Richabeth. I felt bad for Burton when he was nominated for Equus, which was commonly thought to be his last chance, and then he had to hear, "The winner is Richard...Dreyfuss for The Goodbye Girl." 

I prefer Lizard. ;)

17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had a decent night, but the beau did better! He shouted out Dyson so fast that I didn’t even have time to finish reading the clue. This makes me happy because he never watched the show before I entered into his life. Now it’s something that we can both enjoy together with our espresso and cognac. (I think he pours the latter thinking if he can get me tipsy he can beat me) 

Our house rules are that we don't shout out during final. We do say "I've got it" and wait for the other to either give up or come up with the answer.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Our house rules are that we don't shout out during final. We do say "I've got it" and wait for the other to either give up or come up with the answer.

I think that I’m going to have to institute that rule; it’s a good one. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My Dyson doesn't have balls. :(

5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

My local vacuum cleaner salesman refuses to sell them, that's how bad he considers them.

I had stopped by a local vacuum cleaner store and mentioned Dyson. The sales rep there also had a bad opinion of them, saying they broke a lot. My Dyson is fine. I wouldn't rave, but I don't complain.

2 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I really liked the Play by Picture category; they can bring that one back a few times in place of one or thirty of the college categories they've got planned over the next few months. 

I liked it too, though I wish they could simply show the picture without any description. They didn't need them. But then again, Jeopardy often shows photos of people that don't require words in order to get the answer.

• Love 2

New champ was the only one who didn't sway.

The contestants got so many answers so quickly that I didn't really do that well against them.  My only ts was Cardinal Richilieu but FJ was an instaget.

12 hours ago, catrice2 said:

By the way Dyson came out with that $400 blow dryer and now they have a  curling iron just that expensive. I think I'll pass on that one too

Also they are developing their own electric car. Why? I don't know. Even Elon Musk finally admitted that making cars is hard. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Recorded the episode and I'm in the kitchen having a midnight snack and I yell out Dyson before Alex even finished reading the clue, thinking all the while there's going to be a high payday today everyone's going to get this one right. Imagine my surprise when two people missed this easy clue and one even had the nerve to guess  Richard Branson! By the way Dyson came out with that $400 blow dryer and now they have a  curling iron just that expensive. I think I'll pass on that one too. 

I was surprised two people missed FJ. The ball looked very similar to the one in the commercial for the Dyson ball vac. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Or have seen the five million tv commercials. 

30 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

I was surprised two people missed FJ. The ball looked very similar to the one in the commercial for the Dyson ball vac. 

I find both of these comments very troubling, says the person who has never seen one single Dyson commercial, even though the tv is on pretty much all day. I have seen Ron Popeil, though, in my defense. Dyson must advertise on those high-priced cable channels, which Saber does not have.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Dyson must advertise on those high-priced cable channels, which Saber does not have.

Same here.  I guessed Dyson because of the Dyson sphere. Wrong Dyson, but since Alex did not say BMS, it counts.

• Love 3

I find both of these comments very troubling, says the person who has never seen one single Dyson commercial, even though the tv is on pretty much all day.  Dyson must advertise on those high-priced cable channels, which Saber does not have.

I haven't seen one in a while but they used to be on all the time.  And I guess while they were annoying, at least I got the FJ question right thanks to them.   Heh, I only tend to watch TBS,  MSNBC and Comedy Central so not that high priced.  

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Heh, I only tend to watch TBS,  MSNBC and Comedy Central so not that high priced.  

So says the person who does not have Saber's (totally free) antenna tv.

Speaking of commercials, I've been seeing one for Kiss being on Jeopardy. Gene Simmons (I guess it's him, he's in full Kiss makeup) is next to another person in full Kiss makeup whom I assume is Trebek. I've been seeing it all week ... has anyone else? Kiss is on its "last final" tour so it's probably another paid promo. But Trebek in that makeup and doing the tongue thing ... just oh.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Speaking of commercials, I've been seeing one for Kiss being on Jeopardy. Gene Simmons (I guess it's him, he's in full Kiss makeup) is next to another person in full Kiss makeup whom I assume is Trebek. I've been seeing it all week ... has anyone else? Kiss is on its "last final" tour so it's probably another paid promo. But Trebek in that makeup and doing the tongue thing ... just oh.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Also they are developing their own electric car. Why? I don't know. Even Elon Musk finally admitted that making cars is hard. 

Will it have a giant ball at the front? ;-)

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I find both of these comments very troubling, says the person who has never seen one single Dyson commercial, even though the tv is on pretty much all day. I have seen Ron Popeil, though, in my defense. Dyson must advertise on those high-priced cable channels, which Saber does not have.

Damn, you're lucky.  I see Dyson commercials on regular broadcast channels.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, my, Opus. You know where to find everything. And with today being Halloween, maybe Trebek will be Kiss-ing us today. Meanwhile ...

BOO!

You mean BOOS!  (i.e. booze)

Drink!

• Love 4
22 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I had Savoir Faire ("Savoir Faire is everywhere") from the old Klondike Kat cartoons

I could have named you every character in that cartoon (Major Minor, Malamutt, Klondike Kat) except Savoir Faire! I just couldn't think of his name!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

is that an "oh my" or "oh gross"?

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, illdoc said:

For FJ, I pre-called "Psycho" (with "Night of the Living Dead" as a back-up). I mean, 60s movies plus it's Halloween, it obviously would be a horror movie.

You would think that would be obvious, but I got hung up on the chocolate syrup and tried my best to figure out where all those things fit into Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory!  So, no FJ for me!

Adam reminded me of Matthew McConaughey. 

I did manage to come up with some of the TS, including The Witches of Eastwick, radius, cranium, and the Venerable Bede.

I kinda liked the Gene Simmons category, but I could go all the rest of my life and all the rest of any other future lives without seeing Alex Trebek's tongue and live very happily.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

You would think that would be obvious, but I got hung up on the chocolate syrup and tried my best to figure out where all those things fit into Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory!  So, no FJ for me!

I knew that Hitch used chocolate syrup for blood in that scene and that they used a body double for Janet Leigh. What they used the melon for, I'm not sure. Maybe to make the stabbing into flesh sound?

I also got The Witches of Eastwick, Mayans, Bede, and Egypt. The Witches of Eastwick was the book that convinced me that I could never be a fiction writer. The language and imagery is so beautiful and it isn't even rated as one of Updike's best books. I knew I could never write like that. Now when I tell people that, they usually laugh and say that there are plenty of published authors who can't write like Updike and that that shouldn't be a disqualifying factor. LOL

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

For FJ, I pre-called "Psycho" (with "Night of the Living Dead" as a back-up). I mean, 60s movies plus it's Halloween, it obviously would be a horror movie.

Or Rosemary's Baby!

• Love 5

I did get a kick out of the Gene Simmons clues, and then Alex dressing up like a KISS character!  And I thought it was nice of Alex to let the one lady's son stand at the host lecturn, since the boy wanted to be a Game-show host.

• Love 3