Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

So now we know what happens when James doesn't uncover any DDs. He still blows everyone away, but wins "only" $50,000. Glad that he uses the DDs to his best advantage. 

I got Thursday's FJ by sheer luck, and honestly figured I had invented a new element. I first guessed Europa, but then realized that is one of Jupiter's moons. No idea for Friday's FJ & guessed Deer Killer based on the clue. 

• Love 6

Robin didn't bother me. I knew caviar and Ben Sasse. I wonder how many smart people don't try out for Jeopardy because they don't have the extra money for travel to the show.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Abstract said:

She was on Reddit today and said by that point she was trying to make sure she got 2nd place because she needed the $2K to cover her expenses.

Well, I feel her there. I was so mad when I lost because we really could not afford the expense of the trip and I felt like I'd just let everyone down.

• Love 3
On 4/18/2019 at 6:33 AM, nokat said:

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but when James is just standing there while the other two are hitting the buttons like crazy, why does he almost always get to answer? They like having a person answer ALL the questions, and I think they give him an edge. 

If someone buzzes in too early, their buzzer is locked for a quarter of a second, hence the frantic pressing while James, who timed it right, buzzes in calmly. 

On 4/19/2019 at 12:12 PM, StormWarning said:

Watching James is like watching an Olympic gold medal figure skater perform the routine of their lifetime, a perfect demonstration of their skill at a time when it really matters.  No one complains about how “unfair” it is to all the other figure skaters who have to compete against someone who excels at the sport; how those skaters, too, worked so hard just to make it to the Olympics only to have their dreams squashed by someone else executing a flawless routine.  No one talks about what a waste of potential it is for a person to dedicate all that time and energy to skating when they should have been pursuing a more noble profession.  The audience doesn’t hypothesize about the size of the skater’s bank account or comment about their esthetic shortcomings.  We don’t think less of a gold medal skater for performing the difficult moves during the first half of the performance when their energy level is highest and when they’re at their best.

What we should do is sit back and marvel at how James consistently excels at this game and at his wide range of knowledge.  We should admire how he has developed a strategy for winning that we haven’t seen before and that we know will be copied by other contestants in the future.  We should applaud him for not distracting his opponents with wild hand movements, smashing the signaling button, or mugging for the camera. 

James is wonderful, and I love watching him.

Agree.   It’s like watching Gretzky or Secretariat.    

20 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

At least he keeps his hands down 

20190427_091621.png

James read the definitive book on the Jeopardy buzzer which says keep your hand low so your arm doesn’t get tired... and since they film five episodes in a day, two days a week, it would be easy to get arm fatigue.

I love that James did his homework and devised a strategy and studied all those kids fact books.  He approached this as a job..I am sure he does the same level of prep in his day job or he wouldn’t be able to make a living at it.  He tried to get on the show 13 times and wasn’t going to take the experience for granted.  

Btw, did you see the “James Tracker” on the official Jeopardy website?

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

That lady was 'crazy" waving her buzzer all around in the air!

Yeah I thought this forum would be annoyed with all the crazy hand waving. I was annoyed. I thought what the heck is going on here? I then rewound and paused the TV to take this picture for all of you. I really need to get a life!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

James should have been dinged for calling the "Cubs" the "Cubbies".

Alex should have thrown that "Las Vegas" answer out after I felt he gave James a hint to "Las Vegas" being the answer.

I agree with both points, but especially the Las Vegas clue.  What if he didn't actually know it, or was going to say another city along the same route?  We will never know.  It's not appropriate for him to give hints before players give answers.  I also dislike the accents he does, partially because they are mostly horrible and partly because they can give away the answer that isn't part of the clue proper.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I wonder how many smart people don't try out for Jeopardy because they don't have the extra money for travel to the show.

Hundreds of thousands of people take the test every time it is offered. How many of those people are smart is debatable. I take it every time it's offered and have never once given a thought to having money to travel to the show. But I do know how to budget for vacations, and I could make it to and stay in LA on the cheap were I ever to be asked to do so.

2 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

At least he keeps his hands down 

Thank you for that hilarious screen cap.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I thought  Alex told him the other day that some viewers weren't happy with his game play or something like that?

I don't think any of his episodes could have aired when Friday's was shown since they are taped months in advance. If Trebek said that, that was mean. But not surprising.

1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

That lady was 'crazy" waving her buzzer all around in the air!

She landed five planes at LAX during that taping.

As a devout Cubs fan, I had no problem with James answering "Cubbies." James also is a Die Hard Cubs Fan so his answer was appropriate IMO.

I had the Las Vegas answer before James got it, and I don't live there. I didn't notice Trebek giving any extra clues to influence James' (or my) answer.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It didn't help matters any that James' opponents didn't do at all well with the DDs.  

I thought James was very beatable again this episode.  I don't know if his opponents were intimidated by James' previous success or had stage fright. 

Exactly - lost opportunities with those DDs. Especially Tyler: roe = caviar. Always. I don't even really care for the stuff & I know that. I guess that when Robin found her DD she was at the point that she figured winning wasn't going to happen so she needed to secure 2nd place. 

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

James should have been dinged for calling the "Cubs" the "Cubbies".

James isn't doing anything wrong and he shouldn't be viewed as a horrible human being for playing the way he plays.   I can't hate the guy for being successful.   I do wonder if he is having a problem dealing with the negative feedback he is getting from the way he plays.

The "Cubbies" annoyed. That & Manchester United were the only 2 I got in that category. I think James had already buzzed in when Alex made his remark about the Las Vegas clue. 

4 hours ago, Etta Place said:

Well, I feel her there. I was so mad when I lost because we really could not afford the expense of the trip and I felt like I'd just let everyone down.

I'm going to speak for your family & friends here, but I doubt they felt that way. Just getting on the show is a fantastic accomplishment! Be proud of that! 

I have the same necklace that Robin wore yesterday, but wear mine a little longer (it's adjustable), just below the indentation between my clavicles (forget what it's called, something notch). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I also got the TS of intake manifold. I rebuilt my carburetor once, back when autos had them.

Good for you! 🍷

I was struggling with that. I was trying to think of an old cartoon character, but I was confused -- It was the Master Cylinder (from Felix the Cat), not Manifold. However, Dr Manifold was the OB/GYN who delivered my son.

When they showed the pic of the dust storm in Phoenix, I was getting ready to answer "Haboob." I'll say it anyway. HABOOB! Never miss the opportunity to say haboob.

Why did James say "What is the UNDERTAKER!" in the way he did. Oh, it just occurred to me. Is that a wrestler?

Robin was using the Statue of Liberty buzzer style.

I was pissed at myself for missing FJ. I was sure the title of the book was The Deerstalker. Yes, I know that's a hat. But I was so confident I was shocked when James had erroneously written Deerslayer. "Ha!" I foolishly said to myself. "He made a mistake.... Oh."

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I wonder how many smart people don't try out for Jeopardy because they don't have the extra money for travel to the show.

Getting to the in-person audition can also be a significant expense. My husband got an audition when he was in grad school and we had very little money. Luckily the audition city was a couple of hours away by car, but it easily could have been much farther. (That was when the audition cities were a surprise; now they have you pick one in advance, but it could still be inconvenient.)

Edited by dcalley
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I was sure the title of the book was The Deerstalker

I also said "deerstalker". I think I got it confused with "The Leatherstalking Tales" (or is it "stocking"? whatever)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dcalley said:

Getting to the in-person audition can also be a significant expense. My husband got an audition when he was in grad school and we had very little money. Luckily the audition city was a couple of hours away by car, but it easily could have been much farther. (That was when the audition cities were a surprise; now they have you pick one in advance, but it could still be inconvenient.)

Yeah, I had to borrow money to get flight/hotel from Denver to San Francisco for the audition. (And I feel you on the grad student thing, we paid for the trip to tape the show out of my husband's grad student stipend ... which was also our only income.)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, dcalley said:

My husband got an audition when he was in grad school and we had very little money. Luckily the audition city was a couple of hours away by car

Did he make it on to the show? If not, that would be depressing to spend the $, unless you also made a (camping) vacation out of it.

4 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

They showed yesterday’s episode tonight In DC! I really wanted to see the Monty Python category.  

"You're a lumberjack and you're okay ..."

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Why did James say "What is the UNDERTAKER!" in the way he did. Oh, it just occurred to me. Is that a wrestler?

For your viewing pleasure, here is The Undertaker. He's a seven-time World Champion, and won 21 straight Wrestlemania matches, a feat called The Streak. His signature move is the Tombstone Piledriver. Side note: As a kid, my favorite wrestler was Mad Dog Vachon. Behold, The Undertaker:

Undertaker_at_Wrestlemania_25.jpg.e1f6800dc577e28f2b7c6ede6f70bf58.jpg

• Love 1
5 hours ago, dcalley said:

I was invited to the in-person audition four times over six or seven years, and my family and I turned each one into a weekend or week-long vacation.  Each time the audition city was within driving distance (well, Atlanta is eight hours away by car).  Going to the show itself became a family vacation (I got all my sisters with me!), so I used up a bunch of airline miles to get there, and searched for cheap hotels for the nights not at the Jeopardy-recommended hotel.

It was a terrific week's vacation!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

I also said "deerstalker". I think I got it confused with "The Leatherstalking Tales" (or is it "stocking"? whatever)

Hee. LeatherSTOCKING Tales. But you may be right as to conflating them.

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I love that James did his homework and devised a strategy and studied all those kids fact books.  He approached this as a job..I am sure he does the same level of prep in his day job or he wouldn’t be able to make a living at it.  

Years ago, I read a book by Bob Harris about his experience on the show. He did a similar kind of prep: studying categories, practicing buzzer timing with a click pen while standing, etc. I think he said he spent months preparing. I would imagine most  of the bigger winners did something similar. I tell myself that’s why I don’t try out: I have no time to prepare!

• Love 1

My audition was in Las Vegas so I just had to drive down to the Strip.  My husband and son-in-law and I had brunch after.  So no big expense.  But a lot of the people at the audition had travelled from pretty far away. 

This time when I took the test Las Vegas was not an option.  I chose Los Angeles, which can easily be a day trip. I have not heard anything since the test, and I can’t remember when I got the email last time. Has anyone who took the test been contacted yet?

I read Ken Jennings’ book and he said that the show started paying for his flights and hotel as his run progressed.  I guess if you last longer than one taping block they help you out. 

Maybe James has reached that point? I missed Friday’s show.  Glad I can come here and see what happened.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:09 PM, theatremouse said:

I think that lady today is what the kids call "a bit extra". 

Its what I call annoying. 

I didn't like her before that, but you get the daily double, then only wager $1000.....granted you didn't get it anyway, and so you were just "playing for second" I guess, but you basically just gave the game away on that bet alone, whether she got it or not.  She still had a chance. 

I can understand he wanting to win the $2000 vs. $1000, but as a viewer, I don't particularly care about that. And when contestants just get satisfied to "play for second" against him, even when they have a chance, that annoys me more than watching him run all over competition. 

I don't tune in to see who gets second place. 

• Love 5
On 4/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, peeayebee said:

My BIL will say of food he doesn't like, "This tastes like shit," but in my head I want him to say, "I think this tastes like shit." 

In my head, I'd be saying "How do you know that???"

• LOL 9

Friday's FJ was not an instaget, but went something like this. Hmmm, bucks/does = deer, kills = slay, so deerslayer, no that can't possibly be right, too obvious, well I can't come up with anything else, so I'll stick with deerslayer, holy crap, I'm right!

I can't stand James.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 4/26/2019 at 5:47 PM, jaybird2 said:

Buzzy and austin.....equally.  Alex stated buzzy was a fan favorite surely he must have been joking 

I liked Buzzy a lot!  He seemed funny and charming and in on the joke and was gracious when he lost

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, crashdown said:

I meant to post this after Thursday's game, obviously, but I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Anyone else here old enough to remember this one?

s-l300.jpg.54b6abb255907c9f7a6972e1d63968b7.jpg

I vaguely remember the name, but I was not the target demographic for a show like that, so I paid it no mind.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, crashdown said:

I meant to post this after Thursday's game, obviously, but I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Anyone else here old enough to remember this one?

s-l300.jpg.54b6abb255907c9f7a6972e1d63968b7.jpg

Yes! It was initially James at 15, but he got older! I was exactly the target audience because I would’ve been just a bit shy of that age when it aired. I remember it was controversial at the time because in one episode he had a sexual experience (not something teens did on TV shows in the 70’s).

• Love 1

Did anyone else notice James' incorrect pronunciation of gyro? It's Greek, and said "yeer-ro" with a rolled r. Maybe James is a Seinfeld fan which is why he called it a jiy-ro (TM Kramer). What's up with Trebek missing an opportunity to correct him?

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

This time when I took the test Las Vegas was not an option.  I chose Los Angeles, which can easily be a day trip. I have not heard anything since the test, and I can’t remember when I got the email last time. Has anyone who took the test been contacted yet?

I read Ken Jennings’ book and he said that the show started paying for his flights and hotel as his run progressed.  I guess if you last longer than one taping block they help you out. 

Maybe James has reached that point? I missed Friday’s show.  Glad I can come here and see what happened.

I took the test in May, and got the call in October. Basically, they call you three to four weeks before your taping date, so you could get the call anytime within 18 months of your audition.

We were told in the pre-taping orientation that, if one of us won the last game on the Wednesday taping, Sony Studios would pay for the round trip plane ticket to return for the next week's taping.  That rule came about because of Ken Jennings -- he returned so many times, but never got a check for his winnings until long after his appearances aired.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else notice James' incorrect pronunciation of gyro? It's Greek, and said "yeer-ro" with a rolled r. Maybe James is a Seinfeld fan which is why he called it a jiy-ro (TM Kramer). What's up with Trebek missing an opportunity to correct him?

There were a couple of different Greek places I used to frequent back home on Long Island - they had actual Greek people working there - and I always heard it pronounced "jiy-ro".  Until the Arby's commercials, I had never heard it pronounced "yeer-ro", and I'd feel foolish saying it that way.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

There were a couple of different Greek places I used to frequent back home on Long Island - they had actual Greek people working there - and I always heard it pronounced "jiy-ro".  Until the Arby's commercials, I had never heard it pronounced "yeer-ro", and I'd feel foolish saying it that way.

I found this interesting link that applies to your post. The name says it all IMO.

www.quora.com/Why-do-New-Yorkers-still-pronounce-gyro-wrong

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I own a house in Greece. It's Yeero! I corrected a co-worker who told her boyfriend who said it the correct way at a restaurant and the waitress didn't know what he was talking about so he said he would never say it that way again. Lol. Both ways seem to work but if you ever go to Greece you might want to practice saying it correctly in their language. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 4/27/2019 at 10:07 AM, Ailianna said:

I agree with both points, but especially the Las Vegas clue.  What if he didn't actually know it, or was going to say another city along the same route?  We will never know.  It's not appropriate for him to give hints before players give answers.  I also dislike the accents he does, partially because they are mostly horrible and partly because they can give away the answer that isn't part of the clue proper.

I agree with this.  At that point in the game, it wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome, but giving a hint like that was still inappropriate.  Appearance of impropriety, and all that.

As far as the expense of being on Jeopardy! goes, that's been discussed from time to time in the contestant forums.  It really is quite possible to end up financially in the hole from appearing on Jeopardy!  One former contestant said something like, It's a show for people who are already pretty secure financially.

Getting to one of the audition cities can cost money, especially if it's far enough away that you need to stay overnight.  Then, if you get on the show, you have to pay your own travel and hotel expenses (they do have a Jeopardy! discount at a couple of hotels, but it's not a huge discount--only about 10 percent).

You are guaranteed to get at least $1,000, of course, which theoretically can help defray some of those expenses.  But remember it's literally months before you'll see that money.  You don't get paid until months after your episode(s) air, which is months after your episode(s) tape.  It's a long time between incurring those expenses and getting paid.  So to be on Jeopardy!, you have to be in a financial position where you can afford to spend money on travel and a hotel in a fairly expensive city, knowing you won't see any "reimbursement" for several months.

It's also worth mentioning that you also have to have the kind of job where you can say to your boss, "I need to take a few days off in a couple of weeks," and your boss won't reply, "If you're not here those days, don't bother coming back."  Sadly, not everyone is in that position.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, SHD said:

Yes! It was initially James at 15, but he got older! I was exactly the target audience because I would’ve been just a bit shy of that age when it aired. I remember it was controversial at the time because in one episode he had a sexual experience (not something teens did on TV shows in the 70’s).

I was a wee bit older than the demographic, but I do remember that controversy. One Day at a Time (the original flavor) did have the teens having sex - but that might have been late enough in the series for it to be in the 80s by that time.

As for gyro, I find it amusing that we're doubling down on the Greek pronunciation when we ding Alex and others for using the foreign pronunciation of other words.(not referring to some of the weird accents he puts on when reading clues) That being said, I've remembered and use the pronunciation because I read somewhere that hero sandwiches got their name from gyros (soften the y sound and you'll hear it).

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

You are guaranteed to get at least $1,000, of course, which theoretically can help defray some of those expenses. 

Which of course, most of which you will lose in taxes.   I had planned on using my $1000 to go to summer school in Oxford but since I got my money after I attended, my Dad actually lent me the money for that (and never cared about getting it back).  But I was lucky - I auditioned in DC so that didn't cost me anything, the flight wasn't that expensive and they got you a good rate on the hotel, and my boss didn't care if I missed work for this because he was so happy for me.   Heh, so I guess came out a little ahead in the end money wise 🙂  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

You are guaranteed to get at least $1,000, of course, which theoretically can help defray some of those expenses.

@M. Darcy beat me to it. I always figure what anyone wins on a game show or in the lottery, they lose approximately half in taxes. So that third-place $1,000 comes to somewhat more than $500. Viewers tend to forget that and dwell on the big amount that winners never get to take home.

I've heard people can go broke when they win big items like cars on Wheel or TPIR, they have to pay taxes on everything. One guy I know won a car on TPIR and, after the show was over, refused to accept it for that reason.

I'd think it would be easy for the Jeopardy back office to give people their checks (minus taxes!) the day they are sent home from the show. But there must be some financial benefit for the show to keep that money longer and pay out after some certain time has passed.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

As for gyro, I find it amusing that we're doubling down on the Greek pronunciation when we ding Alex and others for using the foreign pronunciation of other words.

Hey, we need to entertain ourselves somehow. My complaint with Trebek's French is he overworks it to death and turns a one-syllable word into five. I can't imagine he could speak French quickly and fluently in a conversation. I'm a Midwestern hayseed, and I say yeero. I thought the Seinfeld jiy-ro episode was even funnier due to the mis-pronunciation, although now I know that is the New York way!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I'd think it would be easy for the Jeopardy back office to give people their checks (minus taxes!) the day they are sent home from the show. But there must be some financial benefit for the show to keep that money longer and pay out after some certain time has passed.

I think there is a legal reason why you don't get your check until 3 months after your show(s) has aired but I honestly can't remember what it is.   

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Which of course, most of which you will lose in taxes.   I had planned on using my $1000 to go to summer school in Oxford but since I got my money after I attended, my Dad actually lent me the money for that (and never cared about getting it back).  But I was lucky - I auditioned in DC so that didn't cost me anything, the flight wasn't that expensive and they got you a good rate on the hotel, and my boss didn't care if I missed work for this because he was so happy for me.   Heh, so I guess came out a little ahead in the end money wise 🙂  

One more thing to consider is that the consolation prizes have been $1,000 and $2,000 ever since the year 2002.  Those amounts went farther in those days than they do today!  I'm a little surprised that the show has never raised the value of 2nd and 3rd place to keep up with inflation.

• Useful 3
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else notice James' incorrect pronunciation of gyro? It's Greek, and said "yeer-ro" with a rolled r. Maybe James is a Seinfeld fan which is why he called it a jiy-ro (TM Kramer). 

Bugged me how he said it. I did expect a correction from Alex. 

I pronounce it 'yeer-ro' without a rolled r (cause that's how I roll :D), but I may try rolling it unless I sound pretentious. How do you pronounce 'jiy-ro'?

I watched James at 15/16, though I don't remember much about it.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

One more thing to consider is that the consolation prizes have been $1,000 and $2,000 ever since the year 2002.  Those amounts went farther in those days than they do today!  I'm a little surprised that the show has never raised the value of 2nd and 3rd place to keep up with inflation.

When I was in college, the second place prize was usually a trip and third place would be something like the home game.  I was watching with a friend (before the prizes were revealed) one night and she said 2nd and 3rd place prizes suck.  The prizes were revealed and I said something like a trip was nice.  She said "well, the other one."  And I said "they lost, what do you want?"  No real point to that story except "losers" can't expect much in the way of prizes:)

45 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I've heard people can go broke when they win big items like cars on Wheel or TPIR, they have to pay taxes on everything. One guy I know won a car on TPIR and, after the show was over, refused to accept it for that reason.

And that's really the important thing to remember when you go on a game show. You have the right to refuse the prize.  I don't know if they give you 24 or 48 hours, or something, to think about it. It would be nice if they did. I also don't know if you can take part of your prize(s) and reject part.  I was on vaca last week visiting my parents, and they like to watch The Price is Right.  I totally suck, so winning on that game would never be an issue for me.  But, my favorite part if the showcases at the end.  But, honestly, I would like the trips (which I realize would cost me a crapload in taxes, but as I really love to travel, I would just think of it as discounted travel), but would never want to try to unload a furniture set, or a boat, or a motorcycle, and the only way I would want a car is if I was getting ready to get a new one.  Again, discounted car.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

One Day at a Time (the original flavor) did have the teens having sex - but that might have been late enough in the series for it to be in the 80s by that time.

It was assumed Julie eventually had premarital sex, never specifically shown though (there was a season one episode where she hadn't yet, her boyfriend was pressuring her, but she didn't do it). But a big cultural point of the original ODAAT was the fact that Barbara remained a virgin till marriage.

• Love 2