Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

And topics that are 'out-dated" already!  Arianna Grande & Pete Davidson are NOT engaged anymore(I think it lasted a month!),  SNL kept playing up their "romance"....Was anyone else rolling their eyes over this topic? :)

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I hated Mary Ann's top -- I know that cold shoulder style is a thing, but I will never like it.  Still, I'm glad she won instead of Jonathan (who randomly wouldn't start at the tops of categories), and Gerald, who apparently doesn't understand the phrase "indoor voice".  I did appreciate Gerald's true daily double, even though it didn't work out for him.

I also hate the cold shoulder look.  Something about Mary Ann bugged me, so I hope she is gone tomorrow.  I agree with you about the "indoor voice" and wishing Gerald would use his.

I got column and baseball tonight.

FJ was an instaget, even though Paddington is the lesser bear.  Obviously!

• Love 3

No one commenting on Gerald's introduction mime? I guess none of you got your flu shots because ya'll must be feverish to let that pass.

Hooray for a woman champ again, but I hope to high heaven she brought something better to wear tomorrow. Players should have to pass wardrobe inspection before being allowed on camera.

When I saw the FJ of Children's Lit characters, the first (and only) word out of my mouth was "Max." Oh well.

Props to Gerald for his "true" daily double. Nothing ventured ...

• Love 11

I really need to start reading People magazine—my pop culture knowledge sucks.

I did get Alfred the Great, Mammoth Cave (really neat place to see, btw!), Lascaux, baseball, and FJ-Paddington.

Another rec to see/listen to Hamilton, especially if you can read along with the lyrics. I showed my 75-year-old mom, who hates hip hop/rapping, the performance of the opening song that Lin-Manuel Miranda gave at the White House in 2009 with lyrics added on YouTube, and she loved it so much she wanted to see it again without the lyrics in the way. She is now tempted to see the show live. The hip hop of the show is not all the music—there are traditional Broadway songs, lovely ballads that will break your heart (I always cry when I hear It’s Quiet Uptown), and the plot draws you in. (I read that the high school tickets a foundation provides always gets kids who end up being pretty judgmental and are very vocal in their disapproval of the actions in Say No to This.)

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 5

I feel so bad for the guy on the end... finishing DJ with $0 when not all the clues were revealed. If Alex hadn't had to interrupt the game at the end of the Mars category to plug the show's premiere, they could have cleared the board. Plus, as always,  I want to see all the clues!

But really, the clue had "great" in it. To me that made Alfred an easy answer. I don't know a thing about him, but his name came immediately to mind. I always respect bold betting, though.

I think I would have come up with Paddington anyway, but I read an article about the author of those books last week! Sometimes, it feels like Jeopardy clue writers are stalking me haha

• Love 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

When I saw the FJ of Children's Lit characters, the first (and only) word out of my mouth was "Max." Oh well.

Max? Is that from Where the Wild Things Are?

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

The Paddington movies were delightful.  Zooey, you need to see them.  I like the new champ.

OMGosh, yes! They are charming and funny and touching. Love them both.

The only TS I got was baseball.

• Love 2

I swear I just read that fact about Paddington a few days ago, so Instaget for me. Gerald's intro made me root against him. I didn't feel bad for him losing it all on the DD, that's the risk you take. Charlemagne, really?

I like the new champ despite her cold shoulder top.

Edited by ChromaKelly
  • Love 5

I didn't get any TS, but did learn that pumpkin spice Twinkies are a thing. Coincidental that the recently uncoupled Ariana Grande & Pete Davidson were a clue/response. 

FJ was an Instaget. 

Gerald lost me with his posing in the intro, but I did feel bad that he just missed participating in FJ. Gutsy DD wager.

I also hate cold shoulder tops, and most forms of statement sleeves. But Mary Ann seems like a good champ, and she sure won a lot of $$. GFH. 

3 hours ago, lb60 said:

FJ was an instaget, even though Paddington is the lesser bear.  Obviously!

I thought about you..lol

• Love 9

I read the archive, so I didn't see the wardrobe, but add me to the list of "cold shoulder" haters.

I did great in the first round, but was very hit and miss in DJ.  I'd have bet zero in FJ, and that would have been the right wager -- I suck at kid lit categories.  I read a lot as a kid, but that was a long time ago, and I am quite purposely not around children as an adult, so most of the books they ask about don't come to mind.  And the Paddington books I never read in the first place.  Instead of trying to think of book characters, I should have run through British train stations.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, illdoc said:

So do I. My problem is if they have one of those "touchless" (where you wave under some electronic eye) paper towel dispensers. Those things hate me---I practically have to do a dance to get those things to work--no trouble with the automatic faucets, just the paper towels.

I have trouble with automatic faucets, go figure. Here's a tip for automatic paper towel dispensers for the forum at large. If the dispenser spits out a short towel (or you just want more paper), give it a little tug, and then wave your hand again. It fools the machine into thinking it's a new request.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

No one commenting on Gerald's introduction mime? I guess none of you got your flu shots because ya'll must be feverish to let that pass.

I know, first thing I said to the mister - oh there'll be talk on the forum about that!

10 hours ago, Fex said:

I feel so bad for the guy on the end... finishing DJ with $0 when not all the clues were revealed. If Alex hadn't had to interrupt the game at the end of the Mars category to plug the show's premiere, they could have cleared the board. Plus, as always,  I want to see all the clues!

But really, the clue had "great" in it. To me that made Alfred an easy answer. I don't know a thing about him, but his name came immediately to mind. I always respect bold betting, though.

Though I was surprised at Charlemagne as an answer, given it was the wrong country, to be fair, he was also known as Charles the Great.

I got columns - I had no clue what the things were, but it seemed clear they'd stack in columns to me, so I was surprised it was a TS.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Fex said:

Yeah, Alfred is just about the only English king who has an epithet like "The Great," so that was easy to guess.  The clue also mentioned probably his most famous historical accomplishment, keeping the Danes (i.e., the Vikings) from conquering the whole island.

Alfred happens to be one of my favorite historical figures, so it was nice to see the shout-out to him.  He was never really expected to become king; he was the youngest of four sons.  Each of his three older brothers had their turns as king, and they all died young, until it got to be Alfred's turn.  While he was no slouch as a war leader (as mentioned, he beat the Vikings), he was more naturally inclined to be an intellectual, and greatly valued education.  And he did it all while suffering a life-long chronic illness.  He interpreted it as punishment for his sins; most historians now believe he had Crohn's disease, which is definitely not a pleasant thing to live with.

• Love 10

73 across on the crossword I was working while in line to vote this AM:  _______ the Great (ninth-century English king) 6 letters  Missed it last night on the show, but got it easily today. BTW, not a Hairick puzzle, but I did another of his last week. I don't find them too difficult, but some of his wording is tricky. And I am a literal, statistics/data driven person, so if I can get the gist I think most people can. Perhaps his pie in the face puzzles are different. 

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Though I was surprised at Charlemagne as an answer, given it was the wrong country, to be fair, he was also known as Charles the Great.

I never heard that! Or, if I did, I didn't know it was referring to Charlemagne.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Max? Is that from Where the Wild Things Are?

Yes! My favorite Maurice Sendak book. We studied him in college, my Decorative Illustration instructor was a working children's-book illustrator and so admired Mr. Sendak. "In the Night Kitchen" is somewhat adult in its illustrations IMO. Even for a college student!

2 hours ago, Fex said:

Charlemagne

I got a smile out of Charlemagne as an answer even though I did not know the correct response. I did my college Art History thesis on the architecture of Charlemagne's Palace Chapel. Talk about obscure.

• Love 3

Charlemagne is called "Chuck the Prolific" in genealogical circles. He had a lot of children, who were well documented because of his rank.  Most people with European ancestry are descendants of his.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Fex said:

I never heard that! Or, if I did, I didn't know it was referring to Charlemagne.

Charlemagne is essentially a translation of Charles the Great.  Charle = Charles, magne = great.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes! My favorite Maurice Sendak book. We studied him in college, my Decorative Illustration instructor was a working children's-book illustrator and so admired Mr. Sendak. "In the Night Kitchen" is somewhat adult in its illustrations IMO. Even for a college student!

Yup. I remember getting that from the library when my son was little, and I was a bit surprised by the illustrations, but all was well. :) BTW, might I recognize your instructor's name? I love so many children's book illustrations.

Very interesting summary about Alfred the Great, MrAtoZ. Now I want to read about him.

2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

My favorite Alfred-related thing is the Alfred Jewel, which actually name-checks Alfred (“Alfred had me made”). It’s an amazing survivor from his reign. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Jewel

That reminds me of the treasure that Lance finds in Detectorists. Here it is, buried, on the left, and the Alfred Jewel on the right:

250px-Detectorists_opening_title.png              220px-Alfred-jewel-ashmolean.jpg

• Love 2

OK, I know it's probably just nervous energy, but the champ laughing as she gets answers right while she has a runaway lead is REALLY annoying. It comes across as "Teehee, I'm really CRUSHING you guys!" Maybe her pose at the start gave me a bad attitude about her.

I will say she seems to have a wide range of knowledge, so good for her.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

I will say she seems to have a wide range of knowledge, so good for her.

Except, of course, giving a FJ answer of "the first vertebrae". I mean, hasn't everyone heard of C# & L# as vertebrae? In fact, with a FJ category of "Alphanumeric Anatomy", what else could it be? At the very least, couldn't she have written "V1" (vertebrae #1), given the category??? That was just plain bad! And, yes, the constant giggling/laughing over her answers was very annoying & I am rooting for her to lose now.

• Love 6

I was all WTH during the intros, and Trebek having her explain it didn't help a bit. Then she really needed her mic shut off unless all the show PAs are looking forward to reading all the snark about it here. Respect to the thousands of players before her who have been able to SHUT THE FREAK UP in between clues. Well, she'll be off my teevee for a while now, and let's hope she washes her hair before she returns. Yeah, I'm cranky today.

I was pumped beyond words when I saw FJ, and thanked the many gods that I aced my college anatomy class and worked with all those chiropractors as I confidently answered "atlas." It's even first in the alphabet! Then it was WTH Saber when the answer was revealed. Duh, yeah, I forgot all the cervicals are named C1-C7 and the clue was asking for alpha numeric. On top of that, the atlas is C2. 

*Saber retreats back to the corner with dunce hat firmly back in place*

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was all WTH during the intros, and Trebek having her explain it didn't help a bit. Then she really needed her mic shut off unless all the show PAs are looking forward to reading all the snark about it here. Respect to the thousands of players before her who have been able to SHUT THE FREAK UP in between clues. Well, she'll be off my teevee for a while now, and let's hope she washes her hair before she returns. Yeah, I'm cranky today.

I was pumped beyond words when I saw FJ, and thanked the many gods that I aced my college anatomy class and worked with all those chiropractors as I confidently answered "atlas." It's even first in the alphabet! Then it was WTH Saber when the answer was revealed. Duh, yeah, I forgot all the cervicals are named C1-C7 and the clue was asking for alpha numeric. On top of that, the atlas is C2. 

I did the same dang thing! 

I did get a few TS’s: Lebanon, Columbus, and Phantom of the Opera. Still smacking myself in the head over FJ. 

Yes, I agree with the hair washing and I’m not in a foul mood or wasn’t until I just played lol. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yup. I remember getting that from the library when my son was little, and I was a bit surprised by the illustrations, but all was well. :) BTW, might I recognize your instructor's name? I love so many children's book illustrations.

Very interesting summary about Alfred the Great, MrAtoZ. Now I want to read about him.

That reminds me of the treasure that Lance finds in Detectorists. Here it is, buried, on the left, and the Alfred Jewel on the right:

250px-Detectorists_opening_title.png              220px-Alfred-jewel-ashmolean.jpg

I love Detectorists.

Holy Crap!  An entire Broadway category withOUT Hamilton!

I'm totally ready for her to be gone.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

Lonnie, it's Auburn University, not University of Auburn.

I was only half watching, but from across the room I wondered where the University of Auburn is located.

29 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yes, I agree with the hair washing and I’m not in a foul mood or wasn’t until I just played lol. 

Thank you. You have made me feel better. Ha ha!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I also said atlas for FJ before quickly realizing the category and saying C1. Atlas is C1, axis is C2 - I remembered my anatomy professor always saying that the axis holds up the atlas, the atlas rotates on the axis, etc.

• Love 1

I was ready to hate on Mary Ann for her introductory antics, then I felt bad about hating on her during the interview portion of the evening, but by the end of the show, I was back to hating on her for the giggling/laughing.  But at least she didn't wear another cold shoulder top.

FJ was an instaget for me to the point where I confused myself wondering what they wanted.  I stuck with just "C1" in the end, though, so good for me!

I learned tonight that Balmoral is a shoe in addition to being a castle, and got that TS from the castle part only.  I had no idea it was a shoe!  Other TS I got included the surprising one of Christopher Columbus, Phantom of the Opera, and Boys In The Band.  One of my friends made the trek to NY to see Boys In The Band and said it was very very good.

• Love 6

Two straight days with someone in the negative before FJ.  At least the current champ didn't laugh this time.

Good day on the TSs:  Lebanon, Turkey, Malaysia, and Columbus.  As a kid, I studied my globe and world atlas in my spare time ... for fun.  Some of this knowledge is no longer current (Czechoslovakia?  Yugoslavia?  U.S.S.R.?), but most of it is still relevant.

• Love 4

No show tonight due to election coverage, and due to election anxiety I had a hard time concentrating long enough to read the archive, but I tried to take a break and play.

Lebanon as a TS surprised me; Hezbollah is still active and still in the news, even if none of them remembered the specific incident with Anderson.  Turkey I knew, too, but geography TS almost never surprise me anymore.  Same with Malaysia.  Columbus was a little surprising, just because of the year given.  Phantom of the Opera a bit, too, because of "apparition" and the length of its run.  I knew alluvial as riverbed soil, but that may be due to Battlestar Galactica (the remake) as much as anything else, so that one didn't surprise me.

And, yeah, "University of Auburn"?!

As one who isn't a fan of the comics, I never knew how Mary Jane shoes got their name.  I got the answer just based on the strap, but now I know the origin.  Thanks, J!  And, while I got the clue based on the castle, I also didn't know Balmoral was a shoe.  Looking it up, I'm going to need some distance from my election-night drinking to understand the distinction from an Oxford.

I also didn't know sugar was no longer produced in Hawaii; I went to a sugarcane field on one of my visits there, but I'm not sure if it was the one in the clue.

I was flat-out embarrassing in the "Books of Romans" category - not a single guess!

FJ was an instaget, though - um, thanks, Mom, for breaking your back this spring, so that I refreshed my vertebrae knowledge?  (It was thoracic, and she's long since fully healed.)  I'm pretty sure I'd have come up with it anyway, but that recent history made it easy.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Atlas is C1, axis is C2

Yes, you are right. Thanks for the correction. Gah. My brain cells are dying faster than I can keep up.

50 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

One of my friends made the trek to NY to see Boys In The Band and said it was very very good.

Matt Bomer can stand on stage for an hour and a half and my report would be "It was very very good."

• Love 10

Mary Ann does have some annoying habits, but what contestant doesn't these days? I was touched by her story abut being the first member of her family to attend college. (Or even being in the first generation with greater than a high school education.)  I teach at a local community college and many of our students are in that position. It can be very hard to navigate the shoals of higher education when no one in your family has even heard of a FAFSA application. I tutor an immigrant student from Thailand who speaks a language I've never even heard of (it's called Karen and only has around 300,000 speakers) and yet there she is working hard every day, trying to succeed and get her degree.

Anyway, like Lonnie, I went with L-1 for FJ, realizing too late that L stands for lumbar, which is the lower spine. I got a couple of TS's - Lebanon and Boys in the Band, but I was also distracted by election stuff. At least they didn't pre-empt Jeopardy altgether. 

Edited by Kathira
Her name is Mary Ann, not Emily.
  • Love 4
On 11/5/2018 at 8:27 PM, lb60 said:

Something about Mary Ann bugged me, so I hope she is gone tomorrow.  

Quoting myself again because I figured out what bugged (bugs) me about Mary Ann.

Everything!!!

3 hours ago, SHD said:

It comes across as "Teehee, I'm really CRUSHING you guys!"

Yes!  That's the impression I get.  Plus, she acts like she's the only one on the stage. 

15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Matt Bomer can stand on stage for an hour and a half and my report would be "It was very very good."

Can Zachary Quinto stand next to him to double the yum?

My only get tonight was Boys in the Band.

For FJ, I thought C1 was too obvious, so I figured I would just guess another number.  Then, I figured that didn't make sense and went back to C1.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I was touched by her story abut being the first member of her family to attend college.

Yes, it was a good story and one I appreciated. Because I am the first and only one in my family to attend college too. Plus I had to work to put myself through, paying every dime myself through multiple jobs and eating Kraft mac and cheese (15 cents a box!) cooked over sterno because I couldn't afford a stove. So I'm a little jaded when it comes to certain people telling me how tough they have it.

I now have a big hate for mac and cheese though, won't touch it.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

YES! Please!

Awesome!

38 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I now have a big hate for mac and cheese though, won't touch it.

I feel the same way about tuna fish, which I ate twice a day for most of my freshman year.

• Love 3

Mary Ann bugged with her Sailor Moon salute, and her giggling is annoying, but I think it is a nervous habit. Bet she does it in all manner of situations without even realizing it. 

Only TS I got were Balmoral (Mary Ann's DJ), which I got because of the Scottish castle part & not the shoe part; Columbus; Phantom of the Opera - no Hamilton in the Broadway category! 

Lonnie should have not been given credit for University of Auburn. 

FJ was instaget, but only because I suffered a concussion last month & I remember c-1 being on my medical report. 

• Love 2

Tough crowd here! First we complain about the dearth of female champs, then we get an impressive one and gripe about her laugh and her hair. (Well, we do a lot of griping about the guys' quirks too, so there's that.) I didn't mind Mary Ann's laughs, myself; before she giggled, I was thinking about how serious she was. (Tuesday was the first time I saw her; I missed the show Monday.)

I loved the Broadway and Books of Romans category. I also was able to see Boys in the Band this summer. Everyone performed well, but I thought the play was seriously dated. No idea about FJ. I was trying to remember what they said about Christopher Reeve's spinal fracture way back when. Thank heavens nobody I know has had serious back injuries.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Other TS I got included the surprising one of Christopher Columbus, Phantom of the Opera, and Boys In The Band.  One of my friends made the trek to NY to see Boys In The Band and said it was very very good.

7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

20 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I loved the Broadway and Books of Romans category. I also was able to see Boys in the Band this summer. Everyone performed well, but I thought the play was seriously dated. 

I'm pretty sure that the champ got Boys in the Band.  I absolutely got it, as I got to see it in June (Pride Month!).  Matt Bomer was amazing (independent of the fact that he was naked for about 10 minutes near the beginning), and Zach Quinto (whom I've seen live before) was also great.  In fact, I thought the entire cast was filled with actors who really captured the characters and the emotions.  I have to disagree with GreekGeek on the dated issue--while the details of clothes and phones and such were from the time it was written, the issues and characters still feel very much like people I know today.  While the play was directly about gay men's self-esteem and self-hatred issues, the underlying emotions are ones I see people around me--including me--deal with, such as how to accept yourself, even when you aren't who you want to be, or how you want to be, and learning to accept the people around you with their flaws.  The play doesn't end with a happy kumbaya, but it was cathartic.  (In other words--I really liked it.) 

In other J! news, was it just me or were there several clues that referenced things that had not happened when the episode taped, including a plot line from a series that is premiering next week (as mentioned more than once), and yet the contestants got them right?  BUt how can they ask about movies and TV shows that haven't aired at the time of taping?

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 4

I would have known Columbus anyway, based on the year (Duh.....), but I LITERALLY had just read that fact about Columbus bringing sugarcane to the 'new world' 5 minutes before I turned on Jeopardy.  Its in the book A History of the World in Six Glasses, highly recommended and entertaining read.  He took it from the Cannary Islands to Hispaniola, I believe.  Later Barbados became the center for sugar production in the new world and eventually the leading producer of rum, which was made from the waste products of sugar production.  And it helped propagate the slave trade as well.  So reading does pay off for Jeopardy.....sort of, if the answer was not so obvious in the first place. 

FJ was so easy I thought it was a trick.  C1.....seemed obvious, but then as a neurologist I shouldn't miss that.  L1?  COME ON!!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

In other J! news, was it just me or were there several clues that referenced things that had not happened when the episode taped, including a plot line from a series that is premiering next week (as mentioned more than once), and yet the contestants got them right?  BUt how can they ask about movies and TV shows that haven't aired at the time of taping?

I believe you're talking about the category on Monday's show about the series National Geographic's Mars.  Looking over the clues on the J! Archive, actually none of them really dealt with specific plotlines of the show.  There were videos of a dust storm and a solar flare that the contestants had to identify.  There was a clue that was supposedly about the name of the spacecraft on the show, but which really amounted to "Name the father of Icarus," There was "name the German scientist who became part of the American space program," and there was "name a common antibiotic invented in 1928."  All things that a reasonably prepared Jeopardy contestant should have a good chance of getting.  The tie-in with the TV show just lets Jeopardy get a little of that sweet, sweet NatGeo sponsorship money. :-)

Edited to add:  Now I feel dumb, cause I had no idea on Final Jeopardy.  The only thing I could think of was V-1.  It's gotta be the first vertebra, and they want it alphanumeric, so...V-1?  Or maybe 1-V?  I've literally never in my life heard the terms C-1 or L-1.  I had no idea there was any way to identify a specific vertebra other than to point to it on the X-ray and say "That one."

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, Quickbeam said:

It just should not be a thing. Ugh. Horrible on everyone. My husband asked me why women wear those shirts with holes in them. I have no answer. But she was a good competitor. Radio Ga Ga! 

One reason is really wanting to wear something off-the-shoulder but being too well-endowed to not wear a bra.

I liked Mary Ann during her first game but not in her second.  Can't really say why, though.

I knew it was C something for FJ, but for some reason said C-9.  D'oh!

4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Tough crowd here! First we complain about the dearth of female champs, then we get an impressive one and gripe about her laugh and her hair. (Well, we do a lot of griping about the guys' quirks too, so there's that.) I didn't mind Mary Ann's laughs, myself; before she giggled, I was thinking about how serious she was. (Tuesday was the first time I saw her; I missed the show Monday.)

I loved the Broadway and Books of Romans category. I also was able to see Boys in the Band this summer. Everyone performed well, but I thought the play was seriously dated. No idea about FJ. I was trying to remember what they said about Christopher Reeve's spinal fracture way back when. Thank heavens nobody I know has had serious back injuries.

We're always a tough crowd.  I give more leeway for physical tics, but the laughing and the stupid pose annoyed the crap out of me.

• Love 9