Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I never watched Battlestar Galactica. Were there other Moby Dick references on the show?

Missed this question earlier; sorry.

There really weren't.  There were a lot of Greek mythology references--characters named Apollo, Athena, and Cassiopeia, for example.  "Starbuck" was actually rather out-of-place! :-) 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Finally, a FJ in one of my categories since I like birds. I easily got it, including the "Baltimore" part since I know there are eight kinds of orioles in North America while there are more than 30 south of the border. Interestingly, the orioles in the United States are in the blackbird family, along with red-wing blackbirds and grackles.

I got Orioles, but I had no idea that there was a Baltimore Oriole bird - I figured it was a team - like a Miami Dolphin isn't a type of dolphin. LOL

10 hours ago, Kathira said:

I liked learning that, too. It also pointed up the fact that folks from India tend not be too attached to their surnames, as they often aren't patronymics, the way Western names are. He said his family gave him that name because of its religious connotations, not because it was his father's name.

That's not the way I took what he said at all. I thought it related to how the castes were named (I believe he said the name was a Brahman name and was a reference to...Vishnu?). I've known and worked with a number of Indians, and his last name, or a version of it, came up a lot as a family name. So I decided to look it up - because my anecdotal evidence and assumptions don't qualify as facts. I found this:

In India, the last name is basically a family name that passes on from generation to generation. The names may denote a community, caste, profession, religion or place of birth.

On further research, I found it is far more complicated than this, as India has many different regions and naming conventions. So no one convention is true for all of India. My brain hurts now.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

You don't like grits??? So no shrimp & grits, grillades & grits, corn grits...yum! 

Blasphemy, all you grits haters. I love grits and never fail to order them in southern restaurants, especially cheese grits in my fav Louisville place, Lynn's Paradise Cafe. Which I understand closed five years ago. SO SAD!

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I said farrier instead of blacksmith. Would that have been acceptable? 

I say yes. I used to hold horses while the blacksmith (farrier!) heated the shoes in the forge and shaped them on his anvil to fit that specific horse. A full-time show-horse farrier friend is now doing blacksmithing and selling what he makes. He's still the same person though, a blacksmith AND a farrier, and uses the same tools.

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m missing my espresso but a new machine is coming Saturday. 

LOL! I need to come over for a cup'a.

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There were on X Files. Scully & her dad had a MD thing going - she called him Ahab; he called her Starbuck. When she adopted the dog whose owner had died, she named him Queequeg.

I did a binge watch of X Files, from S1 through to the end. I knew those names were used but, like the caller to Mr. Obvious always says, "Heh, I never made the connection."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I thought that Tycho question almost belonged in a Stupid Answers category. It was something like this crater was named after Brahe?

Hadn't a clue - so for me it wasn't a stupid answer, though it may make me stupid...but I don't think so (Monk reference, sort of). Well, now I know why there's a Tycho space station in The Expanse.

2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
1 hour ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I thought that Tycho question almost belonged in a Stupid Answers category. It was something like this crater was named after Brahe?

Hadn't a clue - so for me it wasn't a stupid answer, though it may make me stupid...but I don't think so (Monk reference, sort of). Well, now I know why there's a Tycho space station in The Expanse.

I don't understand any of this conversation so look for my name in a Stupid Person category coming soon to a Jeopardy episode near you.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I don't understand any of this conversation so look for my name in a Stupid Person category coming soon to a Jeopardy episode near you.

The reference is to Tycho Brahe, Danish astronomer of the late 1500s.  Famous for observing and studying a "new star" ("stella nova", what we now call a supernova), and for having most of his nose cut off in a duel, which required him to wear a prosthetic brass nose for the rest of his life.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

and for having most of his nose cut off in a duel, which required him to wear a prosthetic brass nose for the rest of his life.

As portrayed by Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou! Seriously though, thanks @MrAtoz. Danish names are rather fitting for naming things in outer space. "Tycho" sounds like a toy company, so there's that, too.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Sure, it's just if you know Tycho Brahe (who was a pretty important astronomer historically) and the answer is This crater was named after Brahe and the question is What is the Tycho Crater?...you can see where I'm coming from, no?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I got "muffuletta," but it sounded to me like Alex pronounced it as "muffu-LOTTA," so I wondered for a moment if I had been wrong about the name of the sandwich all these years! 

He did say "muffa-lotta," and it grated on my native Louisianian ears.  I'd pay to give Alex the news that he pronounced something incorrectly.  Like, three bucks or something, but still.  And all this talk about grits has my menu set for tomorrow morning.

I thought Hannah was charming, so I'm sorry to see her go so soon.

For FJ, I didn't think "Baltimore" was really a specific type of oriole, but the clue said two words and that was all I could think of, so I went with it even though I was being goofy.  What do you know.  I win!

• Love 6

Another Tycho Brahe fact (not a fun one, though)— he was having one of those interminably long dinners with his royal benefactor when he had to go pee. However, royal etiquette said you didn’t leave the table before the royal did, so he held it in. He ended dying from a burst bladder, and his self-written epitaph was, “He lived like a sage and died like a fool.”

• Love 10
17 hours ago, SHD said:

That DEPARTMENT of Ways and Means answer  is a prime example of why contestants start with a minimal amount of the answer. 

Exactly what I said to MrTrey.

I was rooting for Hannah to win again but she was just not quick enough on the buzzer. I liked Jill too and think Druv is okay - time will tell.

My ts's were Kalahari, rays and veterinarian. Instaget FJ.  We get orchard orioles around here; sometimes we see them at the hummingbird feeder as well as in the orchard;  we have seen the rare Baltimore oriole around here too. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Sure, it's just if you know Tycho Brahe (who was a pretty important astronomer historically) and the answer is This crater was named after Brahe and the question is What is the Tycho Crater?...you can see where I'm coming from, no?

Sure - if you know all of that, then yeah, it's easy peasy. :)

• Love 3

So I was right about Eric leaving and I was right about Hannah not lasting. Actually it annoys me a little bit when Alex goes on and on about something. Just like making the comment about her beating the guy to the clue just because it was a question related to his culture. He does that quite frequently which annoys me specific state or country. Just because someone's Canadian doesn't mean they are going to be the first person to answer a question about Canada.

I actually liked him. I liked his little confused look that he would give when he would be ruled wrong on something that he was sure  was correct. I hope he lasts a couple of games.

• Love 3

That BA in British History served me well today.

Players rarely annoy me-I skip the interviews and frequently don't have my eyes on the screen-but shouters but the carp out of me.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ABay said:

Players rarely annoy me-I skip the interviews and frequently don't have my eyes on the screen-but shouters but the carp out of me.

My Antiques Roadshow UK watching served me well in FJ! 

• Love 4

Good game! I love it when everyone's close going into Final Jeopardy.

I said pretty much the same thing as Tori for FJ. Even with a lot more time, I don't know if I would have come up with it's name - certainly not spelled correctly!

• Love 4

For FJ, I should have gone with my first instinct! I thought "Stone of Scone" (it's spelled like scone (rhymes with cone) but is pronounced scoon (rhymes with June)), but changed it to "Blarney Stone" at the last minute (wrong, but still a better guess than "Excalibur" or "Rosetta Stone").

• Love 4

All my visits to Scotland paid off!  FJ was an instaget for me, which is good, since I didn't get any TS at all.  Admittedly, I was distracted by something shiny for most of the game, so I have no opinion on the new champ.

• Love 3

Wow, I got both missed DDs, Catch-22 and Librarian of Congress, and the FJ. I said Blarney Stone at first, but then changed to the Stone of Scone. I've been watching PBS's Great American Read and Catch-22 is one of the books they've been featuring. Although I would probably have known it from the quote anyway. I liked both Tori and Todd and would have been happy with either one of them beating Dhruv, who bugged me in some indefineable way.

By the way, I thought the choices for the Great American Read should have been limited to American authors, but they didn't ask me. At least an American novel got the top slot.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Kathira said:

Wow, I got both missed DDs, Catch-22 and Librarian of Congress, and the FJ. I said Blarney Stone at first, but then changed to the Stone of Scone. I've been watching PBS's Great American Read and Catch-22 is one of the books they've been featuring. Although I would probably have known it from the quote anyway. I liked both Tori and Todd and would have been happy with either one of them beating Dhruv, who bugged me in some indefineable way.

By the way, I thought the choices for the Great American Read should have been limited to American authors, but they didn't ask me. At least an American novel got the top slot.

Aw, I liked Dhruv especially after today’s interview when he gave a shout out to our beloved late champ Cindy.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

He ended dying from a burst bladder

That's a real thing? Holy cats, I need to remember that on my next looooong road trip.

1 hour ago, SHD said:

It's a little early so I won't go into specifics, but if anyone says that FJ today was toddler level, I will spit.

Get the spittoon for SHD! Just kidding. Smack me down if I call any clue/answer Toddler Level. I prefer IEIYKI, no insult to toddlers everywhere.

1 hour ago, ABay said:

My 20-year subscription to The Scotsman newspaper served me well today. There's been a lot of hubbub about The Stone, including suspicion the Brits, those rotten conquering b*stards, kept the real stone and created a fake to give back to Holyrood. BTW, Stone of Destiny was also accepted as the correct answer.

28 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Aw, I liked Dhruv especially after today’s interview when he gave a shout out to our beloved late champ Cindy.

I liked Dhruv as well and was sorry to see him go. He looked so sad at the end. But hey, only one in three players can say they're a Jeopardy Champion, and he's one. No one can take that away from him, so there's that. I also thought his interview was cut and chopped rather unprofessionally. You sound-editing PAs, get it together better, okay?

Meanwhile, what was up with Trebek saying Catch 22 was "a great movie." Yeah, maybe, but the category was Fiction. Although I guess the movie was fiction too. So nevermind I guess. (It is one of my most favorite books though.)

I also got a laugh from Trebek saying about FJ: "This was a tough one." When I saw the category, I thought, "Oh, MERDE." Then the clue was revealed, and I was all "Oh, easy peasy! Toddler level!" (Ha ha, just kidding. That was for you, SHD.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

I couldn't get FJ.  I would have answered like Tori: that stone that the monarch sits on.

Good game, but (my pet peeve) bad FJ wagering by Dhruv.   Should have bet nothing, or just a little.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Lynn's Paradise Cafe. Which I understand closed five years ago. SO SAD!

The one time I was in Louisville, I made it a must for my companions and me to go there. We had a great meal and a great time. We also went to the MegaCavern. That was SO cool!

FJ: I told the cats, "The Stone of Scone!" and was flabbergasted when it turned out to be right. (I tell the cats a lot of things that turn out to be wrong. As long as I clean the boxes & feed 'em on time, they don't care.)

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

My Antiques Roadshow UK watching served me well in FJ! 

For me, it was an episode of Highlander, with Roger Daltrey as the guest star. I learn things in the oddest places. :)

Otherwise, I was fairly dimwitted, I'll blame it on being tired. Though I got PD James, one of my favorite authors. And Catch-22 (sorry @saber5055, definitely not on my favorites list).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Roaster said:

Good game, but (my pet peeve) bad FJ wagering by Dhruv.   Should have bet nothing, or just a little.

I was saying the same thing - you knew the other two (tied for the lead going into FJ) were going to bet big to outdo one another, and he couldn't win enough to pass them if they bet big and got it right, so bet little or nothing and hope both get it wrong.  He could be coming back Monday with another $10K in his pocket.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

For FJ, I should have gone with my first instinct! I thought "Stone of Scone" (it's spelled like scone (rhymes with cone) but is pronounced scoon (rhymes with June)), but changed it to "Blarney Stone" at the last minute (wrong, but still a better guess than "Excalibur" or "Rosetta Stone").

I kept thinking it was the Blarney Stone, and at the last minute realized, "Oh wait!  I think it's the stone they use for the coronations......" and the time ran out.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:03 PM, Kathira said:

I liked learning that, too. It also pointed up the fact that folks from India tend not be too attached to their surnames, as they often aren't patronymics, the way Western names are. He said his family gave him that name because of its religious connotations, not because it was his father's name.

My former chief (a Radiation-Oncologist) has the first name "Srinivas."  He always goes by "Sri."  I didn't know the name origin until now, though.

And congrats to Tori, great game!  But, what was that thing  on the front of her dress?  Half-hidden behind the lectern.....I was looking at it thinking, "shadow?  just the pattern of her dress?  Oh....I think it's a BOW!"  If I'm every fortunate enough to follow my brothers* to the middle lectern, remind me NOT to wear a large, distracting accessory on my stomach, right at lectern height!

*Of course, in keeping with the family tradition, I might opt to wear a Bow TIE!

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 7

I don’t like the new champ.  Her eyes are steely, like I’m gonna get you.  FJ! was an instaget, simply because that clue has been used previously.  I’ve been to Edinburgh twice but refuse to go to the castle.  My friend went on her own and said the stone is just a rock, nothing special.

• Love 2

I got scallions and didn’t get why after break that they accepted Tori’s answer of shallots. I’m a cook and the two are distinctly different to my taste (and texture) when cooking. I also got the Librarian of Congress. I liked Tori but was also distracted by the bow like @The Wild Sow. I got Rosetta Stone at the last minute. I didn’t do well on the TSs or DDs but really did well on most of the regular clues. I always enjoy a FJ when the scores are close and it’s anybody’s game. Boo to Dhruv on bad betting but I wasn’t sad to see him go other than his shout out to Susan passing due to colon cancer. Screw cancer. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

And congrats to Tori, great game!  But, what was that thing  on the front of her dress?  Half-hidden behind the lectern.....I was looking at it thinking, "shadow?  just the pattern of her dress?  Oh....I think it's a BOW!" 

That didn't bother me as much as her dress did wonky optical things in front of the camera. It probably looks beautiful in person, but you have to be careful with what patterns you wear on TV. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got scallions and didn’t get why after break that they accepted Tori’s answer of shallots. I’m a cook and the two are distinctly different

I didn't realize they gave her credit for shallots - totally wrong.  Scallions are green onions and shallots are just the little bulb part.

My only ts's were scallions and Catch 22. 

Instaget FJ.  I even explained to Mr.Trey that it's spelled scone but is pronounced skoon.  He was impressed when Alex said pretty much the same thing.  So were the cats.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was all "Oh, easy peasy! Toddler level!" (Ha ha, just kidding. That was for you, SHD.)

I had no idea WTF they were talking about in FJ, LOL at all the "toddler level" stuff though because I have a toddler and if it ain't on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, he doesn't know shit about it ;) 

• Love 8

I've been watching PBS's Great American Read and Catch-22 is one of the books they've been featuring. Although I would probably have known it from the quote anyway.

Me, too. It was an okay book, but the movie sucked.

I liked both Tori and Todd and would have been happy with either one of them beating Dhruv, who bugged me in some indefineable way.

The indefinable way, for me, was his hesitation in picking clues---as in, ummmmm---thus, not clearing the board. Mr. Author didn't like his voice <shrug>.

And the second slot: Outlander. Diana Gabaldon, with whom I did a midnight panel where we and 3 others read sex scenes from our books, is a fun lady. Anyway, the top 5, in no particular order, were:  To Kill a Mockingbird, Outlander, Harry Potter, LOTR, Pride & Prejudice.

I voted for The Book Thief.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

Me, too. It was an okay book, but the movie sucked.

I didn't see enough of it to know. I saw it at a drive in (! makes me sound ancient, but it was the last remaining one in the area, so there's that) on a double bill with MASH. There wasn't a whole lot of watching going on. ;)

• Love 4

I had no idea on FJ.  I had never even heard of the answer.  I couldn't even think of a good guess. 

I did know Catch 22.  I've read the first few chapters of that book several times, and then never finished.  I keep meaning to do so. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

*Of course, in keeping with the family tradition, I might opt to wear a Bow TIE!

Only if it represents Carnegie Mellon.

I said shallots for scallions so was pleased the judges said my answer was correct too.

4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Her eyes are steely, like I’m gonna get you.

You mean, kind of like she did to her two competitors?

4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

My friend went on her own and said the stone is just a rock, nothing special.

Just like the Liberty Bell is just a bell, the Bible is just a book, the crown jewels are just colored rocks. I wouldn't expect it to glow or sing and dance since, after all, it IS a rock. Or rather, a stone. It's the history that makes it special.

A person I know went to Culloden and said it was "just a boring big field" and she hated it. I was offended by her lack of compassion since it is a very special place to descendants of the clans who were massacred there.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't see enough of it to know. I saw it at a drive in

This cracked me up because I know exactly what you mean. I didn't see a lot of movies at drive ins either. Now, however, I tend to fall asleep before the second feature is over so drive ins are no longer as much fun (or worth the $ if I fall asleep). There are two drive ins near me, and I found another one a little further away that shows classic movies (Bullet, etc.) for free, they just ask you buy food at the concession.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This cracked me up because I know exactly what you mean. I didn't see a lot of movies at drive ins either. Now, however, I tend to fall asleep before the second feature is over so drive ins are no longer as much fun (or worth the $ if I fall asleep). There are two drive ins near me, and I found another one a little further away that shows classic movies (Bullet, etc.) for free, they just ask you buy food at the concession.

Seriously there are THREE drive ins around the area where you live? 

I thought pretty much all of them were gone by now.  I didn't now if any were still open. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Seriously there are THREE drive ins around the area where you live? 

Yes! All are in rural areas too. Which makes sense since four that used to be in city limits were replaced with shopping malls and other metropolitan things. There used to be another just a couple miles from me, but only its sign and the ticket booth are left. It's still rural/farm land though so not sure why it closed. I found the free movie one by accident while driving somewhere else. I looked it up online when I got home and, sure enough, it shows free classic films and everyone is invited at no charge.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

A person I know went to Culloden and said it was "just a boring big field" and she hated it. I was offended by her lack of compassion since it is a very special place to descendants of the clans who were massacred there.

When I went there I got a very descriptive tale of the massacre and found the experience very moving. Clan heritage is very important to the Scots. Someone may not like you because of the tartan colors/pattern that you are wearing. Interesting side fact: During all the bombing during the war many vats of whisky were damaged (on the way from Aberdeen to Inverness) and caused the ground to become full of scotch. A lot of cattle had to be destroyed because their meat had become tainted. 

• Love 3

The archive hasn't been updated since Tuesday's game (boo, hiss), but I looked up the FJ clues for the three games I missed. 

For Bloemfontein, my answer was something along the lines of "What is one of the capitals of South Africa, the city where [a friend] was born, the one whose name means flower or something like that?"  I could not come up with the name.

Similarly, Friday's answer was, "What is that stone I saw in Edinburgh Castle?" 

I didn't expect to get Thursday's, when I saw the "State Birds" category, because I don't know many bird species, and state birds, mottoes, flowers, etc. is one of those things I'd have to study if I ever went on this show.  But, somehow, "two-word" did it for me and Baltimore Oriole immediately popped into my head, and it certainly made sense that a bird with a city in its name would be adopted as a state bird, so I was solid on that guess.

• Love 3