Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: We Used to Be Friends

• Start Topic

Hannah and Joao's contempt for one another grows even stronger; strong winds leave the boat stuck at the dock; Hannah's leadership skills are challenged by Brooke and Kasey; Colin finally gets up the nerve to reveal his feelings for Brooke.

Airs August 14, 2018.

I can't believe how boring this episode was. I hung in there til the end....hoping, something....ANYTHING was going to grab my attention. I should have stuck with my gut feeling: just go roll the trash bins out to the curb. Then you won't have to do it in the morning.

So now,I'm off to put trash out. 

• Love 18

I think this is the first time I’ve witnessed a white lady on reality tv saying “go back to Africa” and it wasn’t appallingly racist. So there’s that, but the rest of the episode was tedious and unpleasant...I feel like that could be this season’s logline.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, MJS said:

The primary was an idiot. 

Yes, with his pithy inspirational sayings and his dyed hair.  Sounded like some of the crap people post on Facebook.  I hate that kind of self help crap!

3 minutes ago, hoosiermommy said:

Also, can the Primary tell me the blessing that changes the molecules of my food to zero calories, please?

If you believe , it shall be.  See I made my own stupid quote!

• LOL 1
  • Love 23

I posted on another site just trying to excite the fans: - Things are coming to a boil "on ship" with jealousy, animus, and manipulation on parade! Adam's doing the job and Sandy can only be unhappy with high winds keeping the yacht on the dock! The rest are performing like a soap opera; Hannah behaving according to how things are going with her seasonal beau, Conrad! Even with that distraction she has to take time to berate her staff, stick them with most of the work, and to "hate" on this guy from her own home country of Zimb.! Poor Brooke is going to get hurt by this Joao person; esp. seeing him flirt with Kasey! OMG, the crew took guests out on the Tender to see the sites on the harbor! They forgot the vodka; so very lame and incompetent! "No Bloody Mary's for this lot!" ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I can't believe how boring this episode was. I hung in there til the end....hoping, something....ANYTHING was going to grab my attention. I should have stuck with my gut feeling: just go roll the trash bins out to the curb. Then you won't have to do it in the morning.

So now,I'm off to put trash out. 

I take one positive from this episode. 

Dandy Warhols. 

It's pretty sad that the best thing is the title  of the thread, sticking a great song in your head.

• Love 6

Seems like the real drama is circling Hannah; Conrad, Joao, Brooke, & Kasey! She's going to have to deal with a lot at the reunion since she appears to be such an instigator! Shocking that she's not on Adam's bad side like last season! ;-)

Update: Forgot about the drama with Sandy! Hannah's up $#!t's creek at the reunion! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 1

Joao is so obnoxious. He and Hannah make the same confrontational immature choices. What did he think calling Hannah materialistic would do? Certainly not resolve things. Then why do it. Conrad was quite diplomatic in reminding Joao to be mindful of socializing with the guests and Joao the little shit had to run to Sandy. Conrad was also diplomatic with Hannah about why he has to have a better working relationship with Joao than she does.

Brooke is a dumb needy doormat. Hannah says Joao is taking a dick pic with Kasey's phone and Brooke questions neither, but stews on it. Ugh. And rather than being proactive during the dinner service and suggest that she stay up there at least until dessert is served. She just whines. 

Those guests were corny flakes.

25 minutes ago, fifty8th said:

Was one of the guests actually named Lucy Liu or was Hannah being a little racist?

They've always given the guests nicknames because the charters are too short to learn their names. I was think it was a little insensitive, but I'm not ready to call it racist.

• Love 9

Unless there's something wonky going on with the editing, the workload does not appear to be equivalent.  It looked like Brooke and Kasey were doing the majority of the work while Hannah was eating, chatting, taking photos and smoke breaks.  

Is the Hannah-Conrad relationship based on smoking and badmouthing Joao?  Seriously, that's all they seem to do.  

Hannah is basically pissed all the time.  She's pissed that Conrad was actually (gasp!) being polite to Joao at dinner!  She's pissed that Brooke (gasp!) didn't take her side when Joao called her materialistic!  Why does she even care what Joao thinks of her?  

I really don't get it.  Seems to me that Hannah likes to be pissy and is lazy.

That's pretty much all I've got.

• Love 23
19 minutes ago, dosodog said:

Dandy Warhols. 

It's pretty sad that the best thing is the title  of the thread, sticking a great song in your head.

I was going to post the same thing. It has TOTALLY been stuck in my head. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Unless there's something wonky going on with the editing, the workload does not appear to be equivalent.  It looked like Brooke and Kasey were doing the majority of the work while Hannah was eating, chatting, taking photos and smoke breaks.  

Is the Hannah-Conrad relationship based on smoking and badmouthing Joao?  Seriously, that's all they seem to do.  

Hannah is basically pissed all the time.  She's pissed that Conrad was actually (gasp!) being polite to Joao at dinner!  She's pissed that Brooke (gasp!) didn't take her side when Joao called her materialistic!  Why does she even care what Joao thinks of her?  

I really don't get it.  Seems to me that Hannah likes to be pissy and is lazy.

That's pretty much all I've got.

I was wondering WTF was Hannah trying to do with Conrad and Joao? Was she actually trying to get Conrad to get into a brawl with Joao to defend her pathetic honor? ;-)

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I thought I heard that as well, and had the same reaction.

I missed it, not really paying too much attention with it playing over my shoulder! I noticed her going down to the galley to bug Adam! ;-)

1 hour ago, dosodog said:

Dandy Warhols. 

I’ve had it in my head for the last 2 hours but couldn’t figure out why!  My subconscious must be playing it for me after seeing it in the title.  

Come on now, sugaaar

ETA now I miss Veronica Mars!

15 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

You don’t have to be a spoiled princess to be materialistic and Hannah, you ARE materialistic. Not because you don’t want your earring to be lost but because you seem obsessed with having “expensive” brands (and making sure everyone around knows you have them) and money. 

It’s so icky!  The only people I’ve encountered who talk a lot about money are those who did not have it growing up and maybe have a little now.  They are basically waving a flag that says “insecure!”

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, fifty8th said:

Was one of the guests actually named Lucy Liu or was Hannah being a little racist?

Her name is Lucy Park...

10 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

It’s so icky!  The only people I’ve encountered who talk a lot about money are those who did not have it growing up and maybe have a little now.  They are basically waving a flag that says “insecure!”

Exactly! I rewatched the first episode of the first season recently and Hannah said she’s a high school dropout (it was in a “and look at how successful I am now” context) and I didn’t recall that. It explains a lot of, what I perceive to be, her overcompensating for insecurities that may stem from that  fact. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

I think this is the first time I’ve witnessed a white lady on reality tv saying “go back to Africa” and it wasn’t appallingly racist. 

I laughed when she said that, because I guess it would have been racist if he wasn't white, and I remembered that line from Mean Girls: "You're from Africa? Why are you white?"  "You can't go around asking people why they're white!!" Yes this episode was a bore and I could not pay full attention.

Jamie and Colin are adorable and funny and should have more screen time.

wtf is up with the Thai lunch Adam made?  With sides of kimchi (Korean) and papadam (Indian)?

I know too many people like Hannah who are massively insecure and compensate by buying name-brand items they can barely afford.  The worst offender has a used Mercedes whose keychain can easily fit in her counterfeit Louis Vuitton bag but she carries it separately with her Chanel lip gloss so everyone can see. Ugh...

• Love 11
7 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

What did he think calling Hannah materialistic would do? Certainly not resolve things.

He likes to stir the pot and get a reaction from Hannah. And it works every time.  I think Adam is right, Hannah knows she's materialistic, she just doesn't want to hear it. Ha, no such luck with Joao around. 

• Love 5

I don't disagree that Hannah is materialistic, but wouldn't Brooke be somewhat so as well, since she borrowed Hannah's jewelry? 

Adam's mishmash of cross cultural lunch foods was a bit odd, but at least it wasn't another damn chicken salad. 

• Love 6

Two things :

Adam : please, stop repeating that freezing kills "bacterias", because it's NOT the case at all ! It kills parasites, yes, but NOT the bacterias !

Joao :  you weren't "unsure" at all regarding the chit-chat with the guest ! your answer to his question was a clear : "Yeah !!!!" [ETA : and you were even seated before him !]

yeah.PNG

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Lizzing said:

I don't disagree that Hannah is materialistic, but wouldn't Brooke be somewhat so as well, since she borrowed Hannah's jewelry?

And her cuff. Hannah’s label dropping is annoying as shit but Brooke asked to borrow them. Also, while it’s clear Joao and Hanna hate each other and it’s an issue for Brooke she places 100% of the blame on Hannah  alone and that’s crazy fucked up. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

Hannah was better, work wise, on this episode.  She showed flashes of her old level of service.  It's not surprising that she forgot the vodka bottles since the bloody marys were kind of a late addition.   The absolute best thing she could do would be to stop stirring trouble.  There was no reason to run immediately to Brooke to "express her concern".  Let the three way fall as it may, only comment when their work is affected.   I think Brooke was wrong to complain that Hannah wasn't cleaning the rooms.  That's not her job.  It would help Hannah, though, if she didn't take quiet so many ciggie and internet breaks, just for discretion's sake.

Jwow at this point thinks he's bullet proof.   I suspect that he's getting ready for a fall.

• Love 5

I will say one nice thing about Hannah- she is generous about letting co-workers borrow her high-end items.  Now, I buy my wardrobe (which consists entirely of tops, jeans, and yoga pants) at Target and Ann Taylor Loft but if I did have super-pricey clothes, I'm not so sure I'd be quick to lend them out for a night of dinner and drinking.  Also, Jwow was harsh calling her materialistic in that context - anybody would be upset if their earrings has fallen over a balcony.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

He likes to stir the pot and get a reaction from Hannah. And it works every time.  I think Adam is right, Hannah knows she's materialistic, she just doesn't want to hear it. Ha, no such luck with Joao around. 

Truth.  If Hannah would stop reacting, Joao might stop with the digs.  As I've said before, I don't get why she cares what he thinks.  She's acting like she's 14.  She's over 30 and in a managerial position.  She needs to stop going to other crew members to tell them she thinks Joao's a dick and complain about him.  Let it go, keep it professional and let him be the sole immature douchecanoe on the boat (other than some of the guests.)  

• Love 10
10 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Yes, with his pithy inspirational sayings and his dyed hair.  Sounded like some of the crap people post on Facebook.  I hate that kind of self help crap!

If you believe , it shall be.  See I made my own stupid quote!

Even worse. It’s the stuff people post on LinkedIn. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

If Hannah would stop reacting, Joao might stop with the digs

She tried that and he escalated the dogs. He isn’t just doing them at her he is doing it to Brooke and Kasey who are both creepily falling for his obvious games.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, terrymct said:

... She showed flashes of her old level of service...

I'm quoting you here, but just to ask a general question regarding "service" : is there any valid reason for putting your fingers on the side of the plate while serving ? Because I've always been told (and taught !) to NEVER and EVER put your fingers on the plate. N.E.V.E.R. Here (=Switzerland and France) it's a HUGE no-no ! (as is not having your two fore-arms on the table -but never your elbows- lol ! so that's quite "shoking" to watch for me, lol )

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

I'm quoting you here, but just to ask a general question regarding "service" : is there any valid reason for putting your fingers on the side of the plate while serving ? Because I've always been told (and taught !) to NEVER and EVER put your fingers on the plate. N.E.V.E.R. Here (=Switzerland and France) it's a HUGE no-no ! (as is not having your two fore-arms on the table -but never your elbows- lol ! so that's quite "shoking" to watch for me, lol )

You're not supposed to do it in the US either.  Under or on the edge is fine, not on the top surface.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, terrymct said:

You're not supposed to do it in the US either.  Under or on the edge is fine, not on the top surface.

I am amazed at how many times I witness servers bring drinks to a table, and place them on the table with their entire hand grasping over the top of the rim, like a claw.  I ask for a replacement once and only once, because I fear biological retribution if I make too much of a scene about it.  After that, I just don't drink, then address it with management after the meal.  The brief period of time that I was a server, it was mandatory that we use trays to deliver food/drinks.  Now I see servers piling plates up and down their arms, bare or otherwise, menus stuck up in their underarms, and carrying drinks improperly.  I don't patronize 4-star restaurants, but these aren't fast food joints I'm talking about either.  It's a wonder that the food service business has any customers left.  Customer service training in the country has gone completely to the dogs, with all due respect to dogs.

I haven't seen these sins committed on BD or BDM, but I'm waiting...

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 6

Is anyone else questioning all these stories from Jwow? Bullets, kidnappings, home invasions and the whole list of his scars he was kind enough to share a few epis back? Did you know he was from Zimbabwe? Which he loves despite all these horrible things.  Maybe he should write a book (and get off my tv. Sometimes when I see him, I get confused and think I'm watching the ID channel. Such a sociopath.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Diane Mars said:

I guess I've never noticed. Certainly at our family dinner table I distribute the plates using my thumb and forefinger on the edge, so I do touch the top. How does one move a plate onto the table without doing that? I'm genuinely curious.

3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I guess I've never noticed. Certainly at our family dinner table I distribute the plates using my thumb and forefinger on the edge, so I do touch the top. How does one move a plate onto the table without doing that? I'm genuinely curious.

I could see hand underneath, thumb on edge, or in a public restaurant I would prefer the server use a napkin.

In my own home, nah.

http://blog.sfceurope.com/the-best-ways-to-carry-serving-plates-like-a-pro

• Love 1
Just now, dleighg said:

I'm not talking "at home service", but "5* "service" :) (and, "here", you use that :))img-5866-4b.jpg

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I am amazed at how many times I witness servers bring drinks to a table, and place them on the table with their entire hand grasping over the top of the rim, like a claw.  I ask for a replacement once and only once, because I fear biological retribution if I make too much of a scene about it.  After that, I just don't drink, then address it with management after the meal.  The brief period of time that I was a server, it was mandatory that we use trays to deliver food/drinks.  Now I see servers piling plates up and down their arms, bare or otherwise, menus stuck up in their underarms, and carrying drinks improperly.  I don't patronize 4-star restaurants, but these aren't fast food joints I'm talking about either.  It's a wonder that the food service business has any customers left.  Customer service training in the country has gone completely to the dogs, with all due respect to dogs.

I haven't seen these sins committed on BD or BDM, but I'm waiting...

I thought that was why most people used straws in public! Between the bartenders and servers, heaven knows what's being transferred to those glass lips! ;-)

1 minute ago, Fiero425 said:

I thought that was why most people used straws in public! Between the bartenders and servers, heaven knows what's being transferred to those glass lips! ;-)

Yes, but can we please move to paper straws?  I know, then it'll be about the trees...

No winning the straw debate I guess.  Maybe I'll start carrying my own perma-straw.

• Love 5

I wouldn't last 5 minutes with that primary. Actually, my eye rolls starting at the 30 second mark. It is amazing what some people will put up with to be taken on vacation.

The last 10 minutes of the show cut out for me. Anyone have a recap?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Truth.  If Hannah would stop reacting, Joao might stop with the digs.  As I've said before, I don't get why she cares what he thinks.  She's acting like she's 14.  She's over 30 and in a managerial position.  She needs to stop going to other crew members to tell them she thinks Joao's a dick and complain about him.  Let it go, keep it professional and let him be the sole immature douchecanoe on the boat (other than some of the guests.)  

Hannah has always been like that, going back to the first season. She was constantly complaining to other crew members about the crew even then. She sucks and is so immature.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Lady of nod said:

Is anyone else questioning all these stories from Jwow? Bullets, kidnappings, home invasions and the whole list of his scars he was kind enough to share a few epis back? Did you know he was from Zimbabwe? Which he loves despite all these horrible things.  Maybe he should write a book (and get off my tv. Sometimes when I see him, I get confused and think I'm watching the ID channel. Such a sociopath.

They are probably all true. He's basically only grown up in a Zimbabwe under Robert Mugabe's rule. Who would read a book by him? He hasn't shown himself to be particularly articulate. He tells his stories in the flattest least interesting manner possible. He's such an immature aggressive psycho that I'm sure every bit of that would come through on the page.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

I could almost smell her through my TV screen.

I realize she's young and I'm not the cigarette police, but, I hope she really considers the risks.  I know THREE women, who were heavy smokers, who died from sudden cardiac arrest within the last year!  It's unreal what a high rate of that occurs in female heavy smokers...even if you quit, the risks lingers for most. It's not just something in PSAs..

• Love 2

JWOW ruined this episode for me. I couldn’t watch after the “so materialistic” dinner.

He’s ruining the show 

ETA: He's ruining the show for me.

Edited by lcarolynl
I read my comment and realized he's not ruining the show for everyone so I amended my comment.
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, MJS said:

Even worse. It’s the stuff people post on LinkedIn. 

Like those stupid posters.  We have one above the main copier/scanner.  I want to smash it on almost a daily basis.

I bet the primary charter guest has an office full of motivational posters. 

Humourless Hannah needs to remove the stick outta her ass. Joao is a dick, but he thrives on a reaction. Don't give him a reaction, and he's got nothing. 

My thoughts about the Brooke/Joao situation is this: He's a rebound. She latched on to him probably to get back at her ex. She knows he's a player, and doesn't care, because once she hits land again, she's on to bigger and better fish. He's a throw-away romance. 

u-g-F1IMRC0.jpg

• Love 2

This episode was tedious. The whole season has been tedious. I almost skipped the show last night, I should have trusted my instinct. I don't even care how it ends - other than hoping that maybe Sandy gets dragged at the reunion for her clear favoritism for the show ponies that kiss her arse. I'm so tired of listening to Brooke and Kasey complain about how much they work compared to Hannah. Hannah is their superior. I honestly don't care if she is a lazy boss - listening to them bish about it is worse than her being lazy. Not to mention they are standing around bishing vs actually working. OR Brooke is standing around flirting with Ja-nah vs working. And J-nah chit-chatting with the guests while he's supposed to be working. Then goes to Sandy, who clears him of any wrong doing, and okays him fraternizing with the guests (but gosh forbid Hannah be with the guests while working and serving them - because - just one coke and she was "sick" the whole day before, but yet Kasey was down for the count for days and she got to go in to town for dinner with guests, mmmkay)  because he kisses her arse... UGH. I don't even care if there is another season but if there is - maybe bring back Adam, Conrad, Colin, Jaime, maybe give Hannah one more chance, but otherwise re-cast. I could even give Kasey another season chance... but Sandy, J-nah, and Brooke - bu bye... when does regular Below Deck come back? I miss Cap'n Lee and Kate... sigh.

• Love 7