Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, spankydoll said:

It's heartbreaking that it happens  and shocking that people are still unaware of the issue

I'm completely aware, I'm someone who has worked in the arts for decades and know transgender people well. It's just that I would like one, just one example of a transgender person meeting this tragedy in the mainstream news. Surely if it's accessible you could help us out here? I haven't been able to find any stories, but please educate me by showing an example.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, spankydoll said:

I am interested in knowing how old you are and where you live that you are completely unaware of this terrible.phenomenon.

I'm bicoastal and live in Los Angeles and New York City, and attended music conservatory decades ago with a man who's now a woman and went through the surgery early on -- and we recently had a funny conversation about her first (pre-surgery) visit to one of those communal dressing rooms at Loehmann's, which strikes fear into the heart of anyone. Also knew someone who did the same transition (a stagehand) during the many years I performed in Broadway shows. Next question? Again, an example of a transgender person actually being killed -- much less daily crimes of such -- be most enlightening. This attitude that this happens so often, or ever, is quite curious to me. Also, I won't say what it is, but I created a television show that is transgender-friendly, so I'm really in the center of this. So, examples, please? Mainstream news, not blogs.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, OrchidThief said:

visit to one of those communal dressing rooms at Loehmann's, which strikes fear into the heart of anyone

AGHGHGHGHGHGHGH. Memories. I was officially considered a "young adult" when, at 13, I was included in the semi-annual family shopping trip there (mom, aunt, grandmother). I still remember what I bought. And I still remember the horror of all those girdles in that dressing room.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, OrchidThief said:

I'm bicoastal and live in Los Angeles and New York City, and attended music conservatory decades ago with a man who's now a woman and went through the surgery early on -- and we recently had a funny conversation about her first (pre-surgery) visit to one of those communal dressing rooms at Loehmann's, which strikes fear into the heart of anyone. Also knew someone who did the same transition (a stagehand) during the many years I performed in Broadway shows. Next question? Again, an example of a transgender person actually being killed -- much less daily crimes of such -- be most enlightening. This attitude that this happens so often, or ever, is quite curious to me. Also, I won't say what it is, but I created a television show that is transgender-friendly, so I'm really in the center of this. So, examples, please? Mainstream news, not blogs.

That treacherous ass fitting room at Leohmann's is what broke me down and cemented my decision to have liposuction many moons ago. 

Stripping down in there would strike fear in the heart of the best of us.

• Love 2
On 8/25/2018 at 11:36 AM, Eric said:

Trust me, I am far from being like David (beside being the same age). I am in excellent shape by working out, make good money, no debt, no mortgage, home owner, no kids, no criminal record, speak 3 languages, no addictions.....And I cannot find a decent woman in America.  I've been trying local dating sites for awhile now and its been brutal. All I'm getting is female versions of David. Ahaha

Sometimes we are blind to our own flaws.  I do not mean that specifically to you; I just think that we all have blind spots. 

The people on that show are either blind their faults or are completely sweeping them under the rug because it’s just easier to get someone from another country who is poor or struggling.

• Love 3

I’ve got this episode on while I clean up- I noticed how Michel wiped his mouth after they kissed. NOT a good sign. I know it’s very warm in Lagos and perhaps he was nervous but then wipe his BROW not his lips no?(I’m a weirdo that rarely sweats)......

yeah  

• Love 1

"It's embarrassing because she's fat"

Woah there, Micheal....woah dere. Tell us how you really feel. 

And then he says he didn't mean it like that, okay but how did you mean it? lol. I guess there's something to be said about being blunt and honest with your words but I don't think that Angela was prepared for all this honesty coming from him. This show is the gift that keeps on giving.

Edited by rideashire
  • Love 18
16 minutes ago, MrHufflepuff said:

I don't get Angela's problem with the clothes.  Nigerian clothes can hide a lot if you're self-conscious about your body.  Meanwhile, she's walking around in spaghetti straps.

And her industrial bra showing. 

• Love 14
16 minutes ago, MrHufflepuff said:

I don't get Angela's problem with the clothes.  Nigerian clothes can hide a lot if you're self-conscious about your body.  Meanwhile, she's walking around in spaghetti straps.

I think it’s that they were unfamiliar and she would have to try them on around people she didn’t know. She doesn’t know the sizing structure, if they carried her size or would have to make one for her custom- she would probably be embarrassed if they combined two dresses to make one for her (I don’t agree but I can see how she feels that way). This is a woman that lives in leggings and big oversized tops. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

And her industrial bra showing. 

I noticed she had it on after the first night they were together. Boom boom boom 3 times and she managed to keep her bra on.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Michael didn’t mean that HE was embarrassed but that Angela was self conscious to try on clothes because of her weight- which is what she told him. Now his tact in saying that to the sales woman wasn’t the best but he wasn’t being insulting IMO. 

I don't think he meant to offend her, I was just amused he came right out and said fat. The tact is not really there at all, but it's probably better she learn that now.

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, MrHufflepuff said:

That's exactly it. She rather walk around showing it off than covering it up

• Love 10
Just now, BradandJanet said:

There are cultural differences about directness. I don't think he meant to be insulting, but it hurt her feelings.

I agree.  This is one actual challenge of marrying someone from another country.  What I originally thought this show was going to be about, not all these crazy situations.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

There are cultural differences about directness. I don't think he meant to be insulting, but it hurt her feelings.

Hmm... maybe they should use a translator app.

Speaking of clothes... Jesse wearing white jeans with knee-holes and a white shirt.  Gah!  Who dresses like that?

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, EllaDisco said:

Rachel and Jon seem too normal for this show.  I almost get the feeling that a lot of their "discussions" are producer-driven to give them some kind of controversy.

Yes. If anything there might be something in Jon’s past (like his fight while he was in University) that would prevent him from being able to move forward with Rachel. Or Lucy’s bio dad will show back up. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Angela has a big personality and a seemingly big heart.  I honestly believe she was grumpy because she was going through nicotine withdrawal.  

Jon is clearly not as enamored with Rachel as she is with him.  If he isn't feeling her, it would probably be best if he pulls the plug now before Lucy gets attached.  

I think Tarik is starting to realize that Hazel is only using him for a way out.  

Paul is really slow.  I can't believe he doesn't see that something is off with Karine.  She is puffy, "lazy" and doesn't seem to have a lot of energy.  Gee, I wonder why.  

But wants to have a baby that will need 24/7 attention.

• Love 1

Jesse and Darcy are just ... ugh. Does she really think this is how relationships work? She can't really be groveling just for the cameras, can she? It's really her being honestly pathetic? "Apologies for the shouting" to the waitress. Fighting over elbow room in the back seat of the car. Jesse's constant scolding ("My ears!" "I was still talking.") Sad.

I did enjoy Carlos laughing in Ricky's face via Facetime.

And Jon's sister announcing, "He just dropped the baby."

AH! Angela's hair is hanging on the wall in the preview!!!!

• Love 6
On 8/25/2018 at 6:18 PM, Lillith said:

ctually you can put botox in certain areas of your lower face, to help with marionette lines for instance

Actually, “marionette lines” are treated with fillers, not Botox.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

That baby has a job: seal the deal with Pole & get Kreeny a ticket to the US.

Anchor baby. Maybe dual US citizenship? 

A baby rarely improves a relationship and commitment. Just masks the issues for a bit. But they are still there.

i am still watching the sho. Got home later Han expected from a family function.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Lol at the full shopping cart of cleaning supplies, how many cleaning supplies does one need?

This is neurotic, germaphobe Pole. There aren't enough cleaning supplies in all of Brazil for that freak to feel safe.

• Love 24
32 minutes ago, EllaDisco said:

Michael introduces Angela to his Nigerian mom?  As opposed to his other mothers?  

I don't think it's a big deal that Michael said Angela was fat.  He was explaining why she didn't want to try on the dress.  She was using euphemisms like "I'm big" which is the American way, but in other places they just use fat as the descriptor.  It's not meant necessarily as an insult.  I remember tutoring a Hungarian woman when I lived in Hungary and she thought it was strange when a previous English teacher had told her not to describe someone herself as fat.  She thought that was the best way, because she was trying to describe herself for someone who would be meeting her somewhere and she wanted them to be able to find her.

Ricky, you should have gone to meet Hazel instead.  If you promised to bring her and her son to the US, she probably would have accepted your proposal.  Speaking of Ricky, every time someone asks him how it went with Melissa, he mentions her looks several times and then maybe throws in one other descriptor.  He know nothing about her, except for how she looks, but he's convinced he's in love and wants to marry her.  I think I know why he's already had two divorces.  And now is he planning to meet another woman?  Is this his back-up dream woman?

Tarik, if religion is an issue, you need to discuss it before you plan the wedding.  Maybe that's why you should have more than a two week text only courtship before deciding to marry someone.

Paul and Karinne - yes a baby will solve all your problems. Maybe they can each teach the baby their language and then once the kids is old enough he/she can translate for them?

Darcey and Jesse are just awful to watch.

Rachel and Jon seem too normal for this show.  I almost get the feeling that a lot of their "discussions" are producer-driven to give them some kind of controversy.

Whole lotta truth in this post.  Pole and Krinny using the baby to translate is too funny.  

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Even if he did call her fat, Grangela had no excuse for hitting him in the face!

That won't go over well with Michael, his friends, or mom. Angela is not as submissive to her man as the culture requires.

• Love 10

I'm guessing that most of Darcey's relationships are dysfunctional.

Ricky is pathetic. Who really thinks that camo is a good idea when traveling abroad?

Tarik is a fool. I feel sorry for Hazel, though. She is beautiful -- Tarik was really the best she could get?

Angela is fascinating and I can't look away. Jet lag, nicotine withdrawal, the heat and the stress of the situation probably contributed to her mini breakdown.

Paul and Karine are doomed.

• Love 21

I believe all the drama between Darcey and Jesse is manufactured.  Grown folks just don't behave like that, especially in public.  Based on their looks, Stacie appears to be the before plastic surgery picture and Darcey is the after.  As a pizza connoisseur, Patrick Dempsey, Jon Hamm and/or Kyle Chandler couldn't drag me away from that hot, delicious pie, let alone the likes of Jesse.  

• Love 15
21 hours ago, OrchidThief said:

I'm completely aware, I'm someone who has worked in the arts for decades and know transgender people well. It's just that I would like one, just one example of a transgender person meeting this tragedy in the mainstream news. Surely if it's accessible you could help us out here? I haven't been able to find any stories, but please educate me by showing an example.

https://www.hrc.org/resources/violence-against-the-transgender-community-in-2018

Angela is fat. It's math. I'm fat too. Deal with it. She is ridiculous.

Darcey wants a drink. She had such a longing look On her face when the waitress asked about drinks. I don't think that she is a full blown alcoholic but she's sober like Ben Affleck and Countless Luanne are.which is placating other people. 

• Love 12

Was Pole trolling the audience or Karine’s parents wearing the shirt that said “Guilty” on the front. I’d say yes but he’s far too stupid to come up with that. And how in the hell is he affording to live in Brazil for 90 days?  Granted it ain’t the Taj Mahal they’re living in, but all those cleaning supplies ain’t cheap. 

And the people that check the marriage license paperwork to ensure it’s in order also rent out reception halls?  That’s  bleeping brilliant!

• Love 17