Type keyword(s) to search

Making It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

Nick was so great helping with the grommets -- he must be a fabulous teacher. He was all "Yeah, that [her way] could work, but ...." and then showed her how she was completely messing up the grommets, but in such a nice way. I love him. 

Nick does woodworking workshops.

4 hours ago, Shermie said:

Most people's arm tattoos look like prison tats. Sorry, not sorry.

Fun seeing Nick giving crafting hints. He's probably itching to get into that craft shed and make stuff.

I think the winner is. A toss up at this point. The remaining crafters all have two or three patches.

I don’t think so. Some people have beautiful tats. Not a thing for me, but I can appreciate quality when I see it. Becca’s looked homemade to me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, joanne3482 said:
3 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I think the coating with resin makes it waterproof. 

She coated the table/bar with resin, but I don't know if she coated the volcano. So far I haven't liked anything Kara has done.  Most of her work seems to be a bunch of things attached to other things.  At least this week she had an one cohesive theme.

14 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

It's tough to say who is the favorite next week but my prediction (that I'm obviously terrible at) is it's either Adam or Melanio in the end.

They are consistently my favorites but they seem to fly under the radar.  Does anyone know if they have work for sale?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I wasn't that impressed with Kara's work, but maybe she won the patch because it was more interactive with the game.

Probably, but I loved the sock skating rink so much more. And that was much more interactive. 

• Love 3

I loved the sock skating rink, too. It was very cute and well-made.

Melanio's sandbox/boardwalk was nice but not up to his usual standards, imo. I agree with Simon's critique that a few shells in the sand would have helped. 

I thought Adam's looked great.

Tara's tiki bar was fine. I thought the bar top with the lava worked well. The lights were nice. Overall it worked.

I liked Becca's bird cutouts, but not her lettering. 

I think overall my favorite was Chelsea's sock rink.

I loved Nick's little grommet lesson.

Loved the pun-off:

Lathing Private Ryan: Tom Hanks puts a new spin on war films.
Mrs. Grout-fire

• Love 6
20 hours ago, alexa said:

In this episode, I thought Adam's was kind of boring, but well done.  Again I loved Melanio's but he never wins.  He did a great job.  I didn't love the volcano bar--I liked the idea, but found it done kind of sloppy and they seemed okay with that.

All of this! I thought Adam's was visually the most pleasing to look at, but was pretty boring from an interactive standpoint. I was hoping Melanio would win. The bar was fun, but I also thought it was sloppy and not very visually cohesive.

When they turned off the lights for Melanio's campfire, did anyone else wonder why they didn't turn off the lights for Jessie's lamp last week? I think it was the female judge who said it wasn't that bright, and I like, well duh, lamps are meant to be used in the dark!

The skating rink was a fun idea, but didn't look that usable. I don't think dry erase boards are very slippery. Maybe if you throw some jello on it or something!

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

The skating rink was a fun idea, but didn't look that usable. I don't think dry erase boards are very slippery.

Ah! Thanks. I didn't hear what she'd made the 'ice' out of. I have no idea how slippery dry erase boards are, but it seemed to be working.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

When they turned off the lights for Melanio's campfire, did anyone else wonder why they didn't turn off the lights for Jessie's lamp last week? I think it was the female judge who said it wasn't that bright, and I like, well duh, lamps are meant to be used in the dark!

This bugged me so much! They did a real disservice to Jessie.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

This bugged me so much! They did a real disservice to Jessie.

I agree, I really liked her.  But glad to see Becca go.  She's fine as a person, don't get me wrong, but I didn't like her style, thought it was very juvenille throughout.  rI eally like Chelsea, she understands how to make the most of a small space.  Very thoughtful.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

The skating rink was a fun idea, but didn't look that usable. I don't think dry erase boards are very slippery. Maybe if you throw some jello on it or something!

It did look like they were struggling to make it look like they were "skating". You want a slippery surface for sock skating? Get a piece of linoleum and spray it with lemon pledge. It was a well built craft, though.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, judyri said:

I agree, I really liked her.  But glad to see Becca go.  She's fine as a person, don't get me wrong, but I didn't like her style, thought it was very juvenille throughout.  rI eally like Chelsea, she understands how to make the most of a small space.  Very thoughtful.

Becca reminded me a little of Zoey Deschanel in her cute quirkiness.

I do think it was time for her to go.

• Love 1

I can't remember what Becca's losing display was but the two I liked least were the skating rink and the Tiki bar that won.  Some of the Tiki bar elements were OK but the whole thing looked very unpoIished and the volcano was downright ugly.  I would have preferred Melanio's if I had been deciding.  

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

All I could think about at Becca's bird watching station was how gross everyone digging their hands into that "human feeder" was going to be. Eww! 

Not Pandemic friendly at all.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

All I could think about at Becca's bird watching station was how gross everyone digging their hands into that "human feeder" was going to be. Eww! 

I kept thinking how many insects it was going to attract.

• Love 6

I think the sock skating was an interesting idea doomed to failure. As it was, it was not that slippery, but if it had been slippery somebody could have fallen and broken a bone or hit their heads.

After some of the comments from last week, I started to see how pointless Dayna's comments are.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I think the sock skating was an interesting idea doomed to failure. As it was, it was not that slippery, but if it had been slippery somebody could have fallen and broken a bone or hit their heads.

After some of the comments from last week, I started to see how pointless Dayna's comments are.

I agree....it sounds fun and all, but then you end up with a big element of your design with no design element at all.  As for Dayna, she didn't bother me at first, but I agree... her comments are kind of useless, and she seems to have plenty of them for Melanio that don't really mean anything other than to make it obvious she is criticizing him.  And also she is very positive towards the worst designs at times, but yet eliminates them anyway, lol

• Love 3

It's true that if the sock-skating rink were slipperier it would have been dangerous. As it was, I thought it was perfect for kids. It allows them to pretend to skate and do the skating poses like Nick did. 

For those who would want it more slippery, maybe different socks would do the job, like those fuzzy bed socks.

• Love 4

I gave a pair of hand knit socks to my ~8-year-old nephew and he was super excited that he couldn't stay up on his parent's vinyl flooring so there are definitely sock/flooring combinations that would give kids a fun skating experience.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, mertensia said:

Wow! I really thought they were going give it to Chelsea or Kara. I preferred a Melanio win, but I'm fine with Adam. His shed was so light and airy and he seems like such a nice guy.

Yeah, I really liked his shed. It was so inviting. Melanio was my fave this season, but his shed didn’t make me smile like Adam’s did. I loved Nick’s fanboying over Dave Kingman (dude is tall!). 

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 8

I liked Adam and I'm happy for him but I was astonished that he beat Melanio because I thought he was the best all season.  

I was afraid they were going to give the win to Kara because I had an almost visceral dislike of her right from the first episode.  She never said or did anything offensive so I didn't know why until it suddenly dawned on me tonight.  She looked and, in some ways, acted like Sarah the "pageant girl" who was on FNS about 5 years ago.  That triggered my dislike and it wasn't even poor Kara's fault.  

I like Simon but I hope they find a new Etsy/Pinterest person for the next season.

• Love 4

I thought it would be Kara because it seemed like they spent a lot of time with her, but I would have been happy with either Adam or Melanio. I laughed at Melanio talking about his 1970s technique of scoring a bottle, because I made my dad a beer stein out of a beer bottle like that in shop in the 1970s! So much more fun than if I'd taken HomeEc. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I liked Adam and I'm happy for him but I was astonished that he beat Melanio because I thought he was the best all season.  

I was afraid they were going to give the win to Kara because I had an almost visceral dislike of her right from the first episode.  She never said or did anything offensive so I didn't know why until it suddenly dawned on me tonight.  She looked and, in some ways, acted like Sarah the "pageant girl" who was on FNS about 5 years ago.  That triggered my dislike and it wasn't even poor Kara's fault.  

I like Simon but I hope they find a new Etsy/Pinterest person for the next season.

FNS?

9 hours ago, mertensia said:

Wow! I really thought they were going give it to Chelsea or Kara. I preferred a Melanio win, but I'm fine with Adam. His shed was so light and airy and he seems like such a nice guy.

I agree.  I wonder if the judges were swayed by the whole sustainabilyt aspect of Adam's projects.  To be perfectly honest, I'm from Chicago and am a long time Cubs fan so have been rooting for Adam.  I got a vicarious thrill when Nick met Dave Kingman.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

I agree.  I wonder if the judges were swayed by the whole sustainabilyt aspect of Adam's projects.  To be perfectly honest, I'm from Chicago and am a long time Cubs fan so have been rooting for Adam.  I got a vicarious thrill when Nick met Dave Kingman.

That was a sweet moment.

• Love 1

I was rooting for Adam or Melanio so I am happy that Adam ended up winning. I think Melanio might have done the best overall but Adam's last big project was my favorite, and the judges also really enjoyed the recycling aspect of his projects, so that put him over the top to win. He also just seems like a really cool guy, so good for him and his super cool shed. 

Amy's impression of Simon was hilarious, I know that some people are meh on some of the Nick and Amy bits, but for me those are all a part of the shows charm. I like Simon but I hope they find another new judge, Etsy lady doesn't really seem like she knows what's she's doing. I actually think Nick does a better job at judging projects, you can tell he's an experienced crafter and builder who really knows what he's talking about.

I loved Nick fanboying getting to meet Dave Kingman.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

I was also rooting for either of the boys but no one totally blew me away with their shed. I thought Adam might get dinged for having that big blank wall behind his bench. And I don't know if those were real or fake plants all over the front of Melanio's shed, but I hate fake plants, and if real those would be almost impossible to keep up. The ladies did okay, but at the risk of sounding like a heartless bastard, there was way too much crying in their crafting!

• Love 4

I thought Adam's was a bit understated, if extremely well crafted. I didn't figure him to win. I liked Kara's; it was classier than some of her previous work. I would've bet on Melanio to win, and apparently I would have lost! 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Amy's impression of Simon was hilarious

OMGosh, I LOVED that! "'Now what are we doing here?' And he's just talking about my face, body, and personality. 'So what were you thinking?'"

I have to say I was very surprised that Adam won. I didn't think the judges looked too impressed by his shed, and I thought the lady judge was trying too hard to cover up her lack of enthusiasm when she said, "Thanks for making our job so hard."

I like Adam, and generally I like his work, but I didn't really like his shed. The decor reminded me Tinkertoys or something like that.

I was hoping that Melanio would win. I loved his wine-stain pillows. But I really wanted him to win for how he excelled all season long.

I was thinking that Kara would win. The judges seemed most impressed with her shed. I have to say, she said a lot of inspiring and thoughtful things. Really, everyone did, but she just seems like a super cool person.

I Won't Shellac Down, by Tom Putty and the Art Makers

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

O.k. was this whole show a set-up for Nick to meet his boyhood idol???

J/k, but it did flicker across my mind. 🤪 I was surprised that I liked Adam's shed, because it's the first thing he's done all season that I did like. Overall, I prefer Melanio and kinda feel he should have won for best maker over the course of the show. I felt sad for him that he didn't get that many patches, when Kara had a whole chestful of them, and I feel he's more talented.

Another thumbs-up for Nick and Amy. I was LOLing when one of Kara's sons was so excited to see Amy "in person."

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

I thought it would be Kara because it seemed like they spent a lot of time with her, but I would have been happy with either Adam or Melanio. I laughed at Melanio talking about his 1970s technique of scoring a bottle, because I made my dad a beer stein out of a beer bottle like that in shop in the 1970s! So much more fun than if I'd taken HomeEc. 

In the 70s they had commercials for a bottle cutting gadget that you could order. It showed using the gadget to cut wine bottles and make wine glasses out of them. 😄

• Love 3

I remember gadgets being advertised that cut wine bottles, but I never tried them, and I didn't know about the water technique Melanio used to get the glass to separate. Cool.

22 hours ago, TVbitch said:

And I don't know if those were real or fake plants all over the front of Melanio's shed, but I hate fake plants, and if real those would be almost impossible to keep up. 

I'm 99.9% positive those were fake plants. Those and the astroturf were bad choices, imo. Real plants and grass wouldn't have worked, so ideally re-creating plants from scratch would have been better, like leaves cut out from felt or other material. Of course that's time-consuming.

• Love 2

I thought Adam's shed was the best by quite a large margin so was shocked that he actually won since my taste and the judges is usually not the same! That being said, Chelsea's is the one I would actually want to hang out in. I also thought Melanio's shed was not as great as most of his other projects have been, and Kara's was just a little too random.

Superficial family notes: Kara and her husband look exactly alike and it really tickled me that Adam's parents got to see him win. It seemed like they don't totally get what he does in the same way the other families did, and he is REALLY good at what he does.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, hendersonrocks said:

Superficial family notes: Kara and her husband look exactly alike and it really tickled me that Adam's parents got to see him win. It seemed like they don't totally get what he does in the same way the other families did, and he is REALLY good at what he does.

Yeah, I noticed that resemblance, too. I actually re-wound and paused on their side-by-side shot because my sister missed it. Uncannily alike.

Yeah, I'm thinking Kingman never really understood (cared?) what Adam did. He seemed really removed and abstracted, and you'd think he'd be used to being on camera. He was more awkward than the "ordinary" families. At the end, though, I think I saw a little tear in his eye, so hopefully he really is proud of him. It was weird to see how small Adam is next to his dad.

• Love 5

Adam's shed wasn't my style, but I'm glad he won because he's very creative and seems like a really sweet guy (I can see why he won "Best Smile" in high school). It surprised me a little when he talked about feeling like he didn't fit in and had a hard time talking to people, because he seems like one of those effortlessly cool guys that I was always too shy to talk to. And maybe it was just editing, but I thought I saw a spark between him and Jessie in earlier episodes, and now I want them to get together (despite their wildly different art styles).

I've thought Melanio was a ringer ever since he said that he used to work for Martha Stewart, and his designs definitely had the most polish. His train compartment is one of my favorite things from this whole show.

I loved Amy's "Helper Song" in the style of Joan Baez. And she's right- some of the helpers are super hot! Where's their show?

What do you guys think of them having so many episodes with Mega Crafts? Overall, I think they produced some of the best results, because the makers had so much time to work, but I also felt that those episodes dragged the most (especially when only a few people were left), since it was a full hour focused on only one activity. Next season, I would prefer fewer Mega Craft episodes, or maybe even mixing it up more with other types of challenges, like maybe three mini challenges, or a group challenge, or a technical challenge, like on the Great British Baking Show.

• Love 3

I liked them all but was happy for Adam. He has this understated chill while he goes about making amazing things. I also thought it was sweet when his parents teared up for his win. I loved seeing Nick getting to meet his dad.

This show could cut back on the Nick and Amy but they were especially funny in this episode--with the Helpers song, Amy remarking she thought they were all hooking up and the puns

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

loved Amy's "Helper Song" in the style of Joan Baez. And she's right- some of the helpers are super hot! Where's their show?

That was hilarious! I thought I heard her say Joni Mitchell but regardless, I was loving every second. 

I liked all of the finalists, even Kara. Karas techniques and Medium/media are a mystery to me so that’s why it was hard to really relate to her. I don’t remember anything she did that struck me as, oh I could do that at home! But her creativity and ideas are amazing.

Adam was probably my favorite overall due to the up-cycling,  plus his midcentury and Japanese design influences also are things I love. His ramen shop was one of my fave crafts of the show. But Chelsea and Melanio had some very strong crafts too.  I just don’t think they did the most in the finale. The trick with the sheds, I think is, you need to cut out windows. Otherwise they don’t feel transformed.  

This show just makes me happy. Even with its faults, the contestants just seem like talented, nice people. 

oh but I do think there were too many mega crafts this season, but I’m guessing it was covid production related.   To me the closet challenge and the shed challenge were basically the same thing. 

• Love 2