Type keyword(s) to search

Making It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I thought Melanio’s Japanese lantern was gorgeous.

It was a Filipino parol and it was beautiful. I loved quite a few of the porches but I think I'd have given Melanio's the win. 

• Love 7

Sometimes I think the judges are huffing the glue or paint while the crafters work. I agree that the ball player had to go because his swing wasn't secure, but why did the judge compliment his extension cord mat? Sure, the concept was cool, but he left the bulky plug ends on, which seems like a hazard. Was he the one with the origami door? That was really cool and kind of trippy.

The green room was beautifully done but very very green. Maybe green on a neutral background would have been more visually pleasing.

The zoo porch won? Okay. Not my choice, there seemed to be no cohesion in the styles of crafting. I also don't know why the garish bird won the procrasticraft when that beautiful lantern was right there. 

I liked most of the porches for different reasons, except the bland one from the dark-haired guy (sorry, can't remember names). Seemed like there wasn't much there. Loved the blonde (foam user) woman's porch, looked like something a real house could actually do and not be considered the crazy person on the block.

What a difference between the execution of the planned craft du jour compared to the procrasticraft. Coming up with an idea and making it in an hour is clearly a challenge even for the most talented makers.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

The green room was beautifully done but very very green. Maybe green on a neutral background would have been more visually pleasing.

Given that the inspiration was the Emerald City of Oz, I loved that it was so completely green. That door was genius. They didn't highlight it during the judging, but I couldn't take my eyes off it. Melanio is my fav, so far.

I think I'd have given the win to Kara, if not, Melanio. It looked so done and complete and lived in and inviting. Becca's (winner) looked unfinished and kinda empty to me.

• Love 9
(edited)

I think that Melanio should have won, his porch looked amazing, much more impressive than Becca's. I usually like Becca's work and her porch was fine, but I don't think she was the best. 

Blake was the right choice, I knew he was gone the second his swing started snapping when Nick and Amy sat on it. I have liked a lot of his projects but it was his turn to go. 

That little bird in its little bird tux was adorable. I know that the sketches are a bit hit or miss for people, but I think they're fun. Nick and Amy always make me smile. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9
(edited)

I really enjoyed this ep. One of the better ones, I think.

I love every time Nick says, "MEGA CRAFT!"

I agree with others here about Becca's porch. I thought the individual elements were all very cool, but all together it was kind of blah. The bird in the cage was super cute.

Blake's door was so so cool. I also liked the keyboard house number sign. But I wasn't sad to see him go. I cracked up when everyone was hugging him at the end, and Amy said, "Aww. So many people fit on Blake."

Kara's hacienda porch was pretty nice. The embossed flag was cool, and I wish we would have gotten a closeup of it. Her welcome mat was also great.

Loved Melanio's Emerald City porch. He's such a fabulous designer, great with individual elements and with creating a cohesive whole. The lantern Procrast-a-Craft should have won, although I did really like Adam's puppet/lamp. But the lantern was beautiful.

Chelsea's beach and bagels didn't do much for me. I can't even remember much about it. Oh, my favorite part was the little door for Martin. (Had we seen Martin before?)

Adam's Tahoe porch was ok. I really liked his mat and how he secured it to the floor.

Jess's paint-spill porch was pretty cool and very well executed.

I loved Amy and Nick's play-by-play during the Procrast-a-Craft.

"Googly eyes. The only crafting material as happy to see you as you are to see it."

Has anyone ever heard the expression "Eat the frog"? I haven't, but I like it.

What was with everyone saying, "Barbara" when Adam got his patch?

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Chelsea's beach and bagels didn't do much for me. I can't even remember much about it. Oh, my favorite part was the little door for Martin. (Had we seen Martin before?)

Yes more than once. Her first craft was related to Martin.

28 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

What was with everyone saying, "Barbara" when Adam got his patch?

That was the name of the bird. 

• Love 1

I get genuinely tickled when you can tell Nick and Amy have truly cracked each other up. That kind of laughter and friendship isn't fake, and it just makes me happy to watch.

On to the results, I read here before watching and was shocked that Becca's was the winner when they first showed it. It looks so much more bare and blah than several of the others. And her shark procrast-i-craft was an atrocity. 

Chelsea's flowers for Blake were really cool, and so was Melanio's lantern for Chelsea, but Jessie's bird was a total standout.

I honestly would have sent Becca home over Blake - I thought his looked so much better and was much more innovative - and given the porch patch (but not the procrasti-icraft one) to Adam. 

• Love 3

They picked the right guy to go home though his origami door was awesome.

I thought the winner's porch looked a little juvenile. It would be fun for kids and that's about it.

You can love animals and still have sophisticated themes.

Melanio for the win!

• Love 5

I don’t have a favorite, I don’t think. The crafts are awesome, but it’s Amy and Nick that seal the deal for me. I love that they always roll with it. Nothing’s too stupid. “Yes and…”

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, cherrypj said:

The Olympics are nice and all, but c'mon now. 

Well given the literal billions of dollars that NBC a spent to broadcast the Olympics they always preempt all their prime time programming for the two weeks.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'd rather see a competition of crafts, decorating and puns, but nobody asked me. 

Same. I was on vacation and just got back and was fully expecting two new episodes on my DVR. Wah Wah. But I'm part of that small group of people who don't watch the Olympics, don't care about the Olympics, and watch none of it. But now I have something to look forward to on Thursday!

• Love 5

They always under rate Melanio.  His work is so nice.  The puppet show thing was as bad as the porch she did….not sure why they are so impressed with her.  Thankfully they sent home someone with an underwhelming design.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, alexa said:

They always under rate Melanio.  His work is so nice.  The puppet show thing was as bad as the porch she did….not sure why they are so impressed with her.  Thankfully they sent home someone with an underwhelming design.

When she was criticizing Melanio, I was like, “witch please, is that all you can come up with?” 🙄  

The hand cut bird silhouettes were amazing, but as I watched the presentation to the judges I was expecting Jess to switch on the lights so we could see them. Wah-wah! Why didn’t she put more lights in the clock case? 
I did cringe a bit as those family heirlooms were chopped up.

• Love 11
On 8/9/2021 at 6:25 PM, cherrypj said:

The Olympics are nice and all, but c'mon now. 

The network that broadcasts the Olympics is absolutely not going to stick regular programming on instead of the Olympics.

The grandfather clock would have worked better if the birds had been etched on. I'm not sad she left.

I loved that Simon was all "I am never leaving this swing".

Melanio's trunk was so professional looking.  Loved his lamps.

What the fuck is this **hack** Dayna keeps babbling about?

• Love 10

my complaint with the "belt purse" is that it had gaping holes in it! so my pens, or chapstick is just going to fall out! Not very functional.

I was surprised that hammock thing won. I thought it looked stupid.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I was surprised that hammock thing won. I thought it looked stupid.

Hard agree. I like Adam, but I thought this was a misstep and he might be near the bottom. The judges did not agree with me. 

I thought the puppet show looked amateur and should have went home. 

• Love 6

So I've watched Flea Market Flip on HGTV (I think) for awhile and Melanio's bar is something people on that show did a significant number of, so for me that was something I'd seen before, many times. He still did a magnificent job on it.

I have something similar to Adam's swing in my house now, made by Sky Chair. They are stupid comfortable. 

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

So I've watched Flea Market Flip on HGTV (I think) for awhile and Melanio's bar is something people on that show did a significant number of, so for me that was something I'd seen before, many times. He still did a magnificent job on it.

This was my immediate thought as well.   And it's not just a significant number.  They do it in damn near every episode.  To the point where I think it's an unspoken requirement.  

• Love 3

I liked Jess, I'm sorry she's gone.  I thought the puppet thing looked really amateurish as did most of her work.  They tend to like her (sorry) because she uses crafts to help with her issues but disses the other one who makes crafts that are practical and useful to her everyday life (the packaging station, sound studio for her husband).  The whole point of crafting is take something you don't have any use for and transform it to something useful.  Agree 100x about the flea market flip comparison, have seen the 'portable bar' so many times it's ridiculous.

• Love 2

The female judge really reaches for anything negative to say, like about Adam's old camera pencil holder/sharpener: "You could have incorporated a place to store your cell phone." Uh huh, cuz I always want to store my cell phone with pencil shavings. The look on his face was like ...wow, that was random. And with the belt purse: "You made it this size, but you could have made it bigger, or smaller." No! Really?! Thank you for this brilliant observation! 

• LOL 8
  • Love 13

I thought Chelsea's belts-to-purse was clever, but I didn't like the result.

As Jess explained she would make a sled into a vertical garden, I thought I'd like it, but I don't think I liked the sled painted white. I would have preferred a refinished and varnished sled.

Adam's pencil box was awesome. That was my favorite. When Dayna said, "Could anything else have been done?" I was all Wha!? It was very cool and well done. As. Is.

I wasn't really all that impressed with Kara's payphone-to-lamp. 

I loved Melanio's lampshades, but I didn't like the vintage plates with the fish bowls. 

Becca's re-upholstered deer head was amusing. 

I LOVED Melanio's trunk bar. I guess not original, but gorgeous. 

I was a little surprised Adam won with his waterski transformation. I didn't really like how the table looked, and the hammock, the star of the piece, wasn't really using an heirloom

I thought Becca's puppet show thing was really cute. Yes, she should have spent more time on the puppets to make them perfect rather than make so many, but I thought the whole thing was great.

Chelsea's storage cabinet.... I would have kept the cabinet as is. How great was that. But I suppose the result was fine. I cracked up when Simon said, "There's an exposed nail. Dayna, get my pills!"

Kara's trunk-to-vanity was ok. I really didn't like the shelf thing sticking off to the side. It looked slanted.

The only thing I liked about Jess's grandfather clock lamp was the silhouettes. Those were really beautiful. 

Amy's whole spiel about evil puppets was hilarious. Oh, and I also laughed when Melanio said it just now discovered that trunk was not leather.

I enjoyed Adam's story about crocheting in Uganda. I also loved his balloon suit.

I like so many of the Makers' stories.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I agree, but as always the skeptic, wondered why someone would be "discarding" literally thousands of balloons?????

Yeah...balloons are not "sustainable", as I said out loud to the TV.

• Love 4

As for the balloon suit, maybe his friend worked at a rubber factory, and those were the balloons that didn't pass quality control.  Because they definitely looked like the long, skinny type for making balloon animals. 

And if your blow-up Weiner dog bursts in mid breath, do you KNOW how traumatic that can be for small children?  

Edited by leighdear
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

The female judge really reaches for anything negative to say

This is so annoying and was especially obvious in this episode. 

• Love 12
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought Chelsea's belts-to-purse was clever, but I didn't like the result.

As Jess explained she would make a sled into a vertical garden, I thought I'd like it, but I don't think I liked the sled painted white. I would have preferred a refinished and varnished sled.

Adam's pencil box was awesome. That was my favorite. When Dayna said, "Could anything else have been done?" I was all Wha!? It was very cool and well done. As. Is.

I wasn't really all that impressed with Kara's payphone-to-lamp. 

I loved Melanio's lampshades, but I didn't like the vintage plates with the fish bowls. 

Becca's re-upholstered deer head was amusing. 

I LOVED Melanio's trunk bar. I guess not original, but gorgeous. 

I was a little surprised Adam won with his waterski transformation. I didn't really like how the table looked, and the hammock, the star of the piece, wasn't really using an heirloom

I thought Becca's puppet show thing was really cute. Yes, she should have spent more time on the puppets to make them perfect rather than make so many, but I thought the whole thing was great.

Chelsea's storage cabinet.... I would have kept the cabinet as is. How great was that. But I suppose the result was fine. I cracked up when Simon said, "There's an exposed nail. Dayna, get my pills!"

Kara's trunk-to-vanity was ok. I really didn't like the shelf thing sticking off to the side. It looked slanted.

The only thing I liked about Jess's grandfather clock lamp was the silhouettes. Those were really beautiful. 

Amy's whole spiel about evil puppets was hilarious. Oh, and I also laughed when Melanio said it just now discovered that trunk was not leather.

I enjoyed Adam's story about crocheting in Uganda. I also loved his balloon suit.

I like so many of the Makers' stories.

Yeah, Kara's phone lamp was ugly. Take it to a Dirty Santa game ugly. 

• Love 2

I think all of the makers are talented. I'm really impressed with their output of work. But Melanio is my favorite by far. His work has been impeccable.

But the lady judge really bothers me. Has she ever crafted anything in her life? She's just a trend expert, whatever that means.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Bookish Jen said:

I think all of the makers are talented. I'm really impressed with their output of work. But Melanio is my favorite by far. His work has been impeccable.

But the lady judge really bothers me. Has she ever crafted anything in her life? She's just a trend expert, whatever that means.

When she makes a negative comment about a really cool craft, I yell at the TV “I’d like to see you make something like that!” 😆

• Love 5
4 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

When she makes a negative comment about a really cool craft, I yell at the TV “I’d like to see you make something like that!” 😆

She probably couldn't. I doubt she could string macaroni on a string.

As a judge, I wish they would have gotten Wendy Russell who used to host a really cute crafting show on ION Life called "She's Crafty." She's been doing crafts since she was a child and is very talented. She's also very funny and personable.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

She probably couldn't. I doubt she could string macaroni on a string.

putting my amateur psych hat on, I think she has "impostor syndrome" so she's trying to show her chops, when she doesn't really have any.

• Love 4

Lady judge really is just desperately trying to find something to complain about in every one, even if it isn't remotely helpful. "I like this project, but I wish it had more...numbers on it." Simon's critiques are usually pretty helpful, but it feels like she is just basing everything on what's trending on Pinterest. 

I thought Adam deserved to win, I thought he did a great job and I liked his story about learning to croquet in Uganda. I thought all of the projects were pretty cool, I especially liked the trunk bar and the grandfather clock. 

Amy's evil puppet bit cracked me up. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

I liked Adam's swing it looked comfy. I could picture myself in there with a good book and a drink from from Melanio's suitcase bar ( which I agree Ive seen before on Flea Market Flip but his looked really well done).

I thought Karas phone lamp was tacky and didn't really care for her mlMaster craft either. 

I wish Jess's clock light had come out better because her sketches were beautiful.

• Love 3

I am surprised they finally sent Becca home, but I am glad they did.  Her porch and her puppet show thing in the past episodes were not that great.  So I think it was time, and the others are doing better.

In this episode, I thought Adam's was kind of boring, but well done.  Again I loved Melanio's but he never wins.  He did a great job.  I didn't love the volcano bar--I liked the idea, but found it done kind of sloppy and they seemed okay with that.

• Love 9

I am surprised they finally sent Becca home, but I am glad they did.

Exact same feeling over here. Up until the judges sat down and started throwing ping pong balls with glee I thought Kara was going home and Chelsea was getting the patch. I still think Chelsea should have gotten the patch.

It's tough to say who is the favorite next week but my prediction (that I'm obviously terrible at) is it's either Adam or Melanio in the end.

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Becca’s arm tattoos looked like prison tats. 

Most people's arm tattoos look like prison tats. Sorry, not sorry.

Fun seeing Nick giving crafting hints. He's probably itching to get into that craft shed and make stuff.

I think the winner is. A toss up at this point. The remaining crafters all have two or three patches.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, mertensia said:

Yeah, Becca's was a mess. It was time for her to go.

I kept thinking "is foam a good idea for outside?" Because I have no idea.

I was thinking the same thing. What would happen to the foam when it rains?

• Love 1