Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 6/18/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

56 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

Can I address the whole "everyone gets an award" thing.  This is not new.  Go back to the 40s and 50s, probably even prior to that.  Every kid got every award they went out for.  How do I know?  I have had the pleasure of cleaning out dead relatives or my parents who were doing their last big cleaning, if you know what I mean.  My dad used to torment my brother for not lettering in anything while he was in 9th grade.  So in 10th grade he went out for track and was a star pole vaulter.  My dad never went to a meet and never bought him a letterman jacket.  Fast forward about 30 years and I am cleaning out my mom's basement.  I am going through her cedar chest and found my parents letter sweaters with pins.  The letter was for the sport and the pins were for clubs that you only got if you had a letter.  Sounds impressive?  Well guess again.  My mom said to throw them out since neither her (tennis, glee club, cheer squad) nor my dad (football, glee club, cheer squad) ever played in a match or game.  If you went to the first meeting, you were on the team.  So everyone got letters and the sweaters were free.  This is the mid 50s in Detroit and my parents lived in the projects.  It was a way to get the community involved.

Apparently my brother upset my dad for actually running and vaulting in the meets and capturing a title in the league and the conference.  In the 70s you had to actually be top of your team and win against others and qualify.  The same is true, around my county anyways, today.  They don't just hand out awards willy nilly.

I just had to get that off my chest.

Being someone who was in high school in the early 90s I find this very interesting. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I think Sarah serves a very good purpose on the panel, and that's to be "the relatable one." I did miss her and what she brings to the table. She doesn't argue, she's not extreme, she's not scary to Meghan's famous "Middle America," and when she says something, it appears to be from the heart because she's not strongly aligned with any political camp. I think of her like Charlotte on Sex in the City. And I did miss that part of having her there while she was away on maternity leave.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, jumper sage said:

Can I address the whole "everyone gets an award" thing.  This is not new. 

My sons played park district sports in the 90's, mostly baseball.   The baseball leagues start out where it's instructional - at age 5-9, kids are learning the game.  The kids don't even pitch at that level, the coaches pitch to them.   at the end of the season, everyone gets a trophy, for participation.  As they get older, the rules are tougher, and there are championships and play-offs, and only the first and second place teams get trophies.   It makes sense,  that's the age that the boys are more competitive and taking the game more seriously.   Once, a few of the guys were at our house and they saw the baseball trophies, and talked about the ones they had, and which ones were "real"  trophies.  It was interesting. They were probably 11 or 12 at the time, and they were very clear that it was the championship trophies that mattered.  the trophies were the same size, but the age-based divisions were on them.  (Pinto, pony, mustang, were the names) They all knew which divisions were which, and knew which trophies were for participation and which ones were what they considered "real."  the real ones were the ones they were proud of.  And it was the same for soccer, basketball, hockey.  they know.    So much for all the BS about how these kids expected and got awards for everything.  They do, when they're little - so what? 

• Love 9
(edited)

Sara is sweet, and while I wouldn't put her in the "airhead" category I do wish she'd quit trying to play conciliator.  She wants everyone to like her, even Meghan, but there are some topics that are so repugnant you just have to speak up.

Regarding the problem of valedictorian, I do understand that the very small difference in GPAs makes top ranking pretty much moot.  At our local HS this year the salutatorian was all set to give her speech, her parents were so proud, only... final grades came out a day or two before graduation and #3 edged her out by .01 or something ridiculous.  So the poor girl got shoved aside and the new salutatorian had to scramble to come up with an inspiring speech.  Everyone thought they should maybe call it a tie and let both kids take the honor.  So with these schools taking away the titles, do they let any kids speak at graduation and if so, how is it decided who will speak?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, backformore said:

My sons played park district sports in the 90's, mostly baseball.   The baseball leagues start out where it's instructional - at age 5-9, kids are learning the game.  The kids don't even pitch at that level, the coaches pitch to them.   at the end of the season, everyone gets a trophy, for participation.  As they get older, the rules are tougher, and there are championships and play-offs, and only the first and second place teams get trophies.   It makes sense,  that's the age that the boys are more competitive and taking the game more seriously.   Once, a few of the guys were at our house and they saw the baseball trophies, and talked about the ones they had, and which ones were "real"  trophies.  It was interesting. They were probably 11 or 12 at the time, and they were very clear that it was the championship trophies that mattered.  the trophies were the same size, but the age-based divisions were on them.  (Pinto, pony, mustang, were the names) They all knew which divisions were which, and knew which trophies were for participation and which ones were what they considered "real."  the real ones were the ones they were proud of.  And it was the same for soccer, basketball, hockey.  they know.    So much for all the BS about how these kids expected and got awards for everything.  They do, when they're little - so what? 

This has been my experience as well in school. You get participation ribbons/trophies but as you get older, the participation awards become less and the competitive awards become more common. And even if they hand out participation awards, the competitive awards are made to look distinctively better. In the case of this school doing away with the valedictorian honour, it seems that their general comments are more inspired by isolated school policies and not the overall policies on celebrating achievements in academics, sports and other school activities that the large majority of schools still do practice.

Sure when we get older we can recognize that an award we received at 5 was pretty meaningless....but when you're 5, receiving that trophy is probably an exciting experience and could impact your confidence and passion for whatever it is you're doing. Rewarding effort at a young age and transitioning that into rewarding skill as you get older seems like a healthy approach to me.

• Love 11

Sunny might have been trying to be humorous when talking about not being valedictorian but I really think she still holds a grudge after all these years.  I like Sunny but there are times she irks me.  The same with Sara.  She has a very upbeat personality and can be genuinely funny but her always needing to see both sides of every serious issue irks me.  The show is called the View.  Sara tell us your view.

• Love 11

So, the Bell is supposed to indicate agreement, right?  Funny how Meghan somehow thought it meant for her to shut up.

Maybe the bell being used by the other hosts to indicate that they agree with each other irks Meghan as much as the audience applause does.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Sunny might have been trying to be humorous when talking about not being valedictorian but I really think she still holds a grudge after all these years.  I like Sunny but there are times she irks me.  The same with Sara.  She has a very upbeat personality and can be genuinely funny but her always needing to see both sides of every serious issue irks me.  The show is called the View.  Sara tell us your view.

Being Valedictorian only matters to the valedictorian - I sure can’t remember who addressed my class.  Nor can I remember the content.

• Love 7

Good for Whoopi for questioning Meghan's poll du jour. 45% approval rating?  Oh, only 900 people were asked.  (And undoubtedly the poll was conducted post Singapore but before this immigration fiasco.)

Meghan had the make up gun set to 11 today. 

• Love 19
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Good for Whoopi for questioning Meghan's poll du jour. 45% approval rating?  Oh, only 900 people were asked.  (And undoubtedly the poll was conducted post Singapore but before this immigration fiasco.)

It's my understanding most polls like this are done via landlines.  People with landlines tend to be older and live outside of big cities. Not exactly a fair representation of our country's citizens.

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 21
(edited)

Little Miss TRIBAL, in responding to immigrant children being separated from their parents,  goes on a tangent about approval polls, naming republicans who disagree with the policy, talking about a PR CRISIS.   

SO - her opinion is not about how to solve the crisis.  Just like yesterday, her point of view is about one thing and one thing only - How will this affect the Republican party?

Whoopi's little rant was in part in response to that. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 20

Has anyone noticed Whoopi saying "this isn't a left or right issue" more and more lately, especially after Meghan speaks? I think she's indirectly addressing Meghan since she likes to talk about what "her" side thinks every time they talk about pretty much anything. She did it yet again today - ran down a list of people on the right who are speaking out about what's going on with the zero tolerance policy. Ted Cruz, Bill O'Reilly, ect. Just as I asked yesterday, why does she list names of folks on the right who are speaking out? Good for them but as Whoopi keeps reiterating, this isn't a left/right thing - what's wrong is wrong. And she just couldn't help but mention that she's completely against open boarders, which prompted Sunny to make a WTF face. Nobody said agreeing that what's going on is wrong means "we should have open boarders!" It's as if she had to make everyone aware that just because she agrees with the left-leaning ladies at the table, she's still a proud conservative. There was no reason for her to mention she doesn't believe in open boarders because that's not what they were talking about.

• Love 21

Whoopie was in the middle of making a point and Meggie says, “I’ve been wanting to say this since the last segment” totally hijacking the conversation once again and Whoopie allows it.  If Sunny had done that Whoopie would have cut to a commercial.  Of course, Sunny wouldn’t have done that because she’s not a rude bitch.

• Love 22
12 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Of course one of Meghan's "best friends" is in Costner's new show. 

I’m not sure Kevin Costner knew who she was talking about because he looked stunned or maybe he didn’t understand why she interrupted the flow of the conversation.

• Love 21
(edited)
6 hours ago, backformore said:

For such a nasty bitch, she sure has a lot of best friends. 

The 'friendships' are figments of her imagination though the people are real. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Can I address the whole "everyone gets an award" thing.  This is not new.  Go back to the 40s and 50s, probably even prior to that.  Every kid got every award they went out for.  How do I know?  I have had the pleasure of cleaning out dead relatives or my parents who were doing their last big cleaning, if you know what I mean.  My dad used to torment my brother for not lettering in anything while he was in 9th grade.  So in 10th grade he went out for track and was a star pole vaulter.  My dad never went to a meet and never bought him a letterman jacket.  Fast forward about 30 years and I am cleaning out my mom's basement.  I am going through her cedar chest and found my parents letter sweaters with pins.  The letter was for the sport and the pins were for clubs that you only got if you had a letter.  Sounds impressive?  Well guess again.  My mom said to throw them out since neither her (tennis, glee club, cheer squad) nor my dad (football, glee club, cheer squad) ever played in a match or game.  If you went to the first meeting, you were on the team.  So everyone got letters and the sweaters were free.  This is the mid 50s in Detroit and my parents lived in the projects.  It was a way to get the community involved.

Apparently my brother upset my dad for actually running and vaulting in the meets and capturing a title in the league and the conference.  In the 70s you had to actually be top of your team and win against others and qualify.  The same is true, around my county anyways, today.  They don't just hand out awards willy nilly.

I just had to get that off my chest.

Yes, every kid even now gets a varsity letter if they're on a varsity team, no try outs whatsoever at my kid's high school.  BUT - kids are awarded for "best this" and "best that" within the team.  Most yards rushed, most yards passed, tackles, all conference, all state, etc.  The participation awards that people speak of usually have to do with no one getting this 1st place prize on a team and all are created equal which to me is a crock of duty

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Whoopie was in the middle of making a point and Meggie says, “I’ve been wanting to say this since the last segment” totally hijacking the conversation once again and Whoopie allows it.  If Sunny had done that Whoopie would have cut to a commercial.  Of course, Sunny wouldn’t have done that because she’s not a rude bitch.

I've always felt Whoopi was instrumental in the hiring of MM. The phone call between the two where Whoops says, "I'll have your back baby," at least convinced me she wanted her on board. It was painful to watch how Whoopi treated Paula and she didn't care much for Jed. Also, Whoops NEVER admits to any personal faults or mistakes -- probably sees this as a sign of weakness, hence her kid glove treatment of MM. As moderator, she allows MM to suck the oxygen from the room. 

Edited by Catnip
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

There was someday last week MM jumped in and threw to some clip. She apologized to whoopi (it clear WG was getting there) but just had to talk about it.  I just rolled my eyes of course no push back from whoopi. Like I said she thinks she's running the show.

• Love 13

I like sara's new haircut. 

I forgot to say that yesterday, I really liked she plaid shirt Whoopi was wearing - it was a nice mix of colors, kind of an unusual combination (navy/rust/gold?)  Anyway, today she was back to her usual fashion sense, wearing the world's largest shirt.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

I feel that Sara is just being objective. To me it’s quite refreshing. There are always two sides to every issue and you should be able to see both sides. Not seeing them and not actively trying to listen to the other side is often the major problem. Sara often does tell us her view when it aligns with the views of Sunny, Joy and Whoopi, but sees both sides when her personal view is not in alignment with theirs. Sara likely feels pressure to not agree with the conservative side for fear of being attacked the way Meghan is almost everyday. So she just says that she is trying seeing both sides.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, backformore said:

So, the Bell is supposed to indicate agreement, right?  Funny how Meghan somehow thought it meant for her to shut up.

Maybe the bell being used by the other hosts to indicate that they agree with each other irks Meghan as much as the audience applause does.

I seem to remember that the bell was first introduced by Michelle to Whoopi in order to provide her with a signal to indicate that a topic was over, time to move on. Because, you know, Whoopi has a hard time with transitions. The bell provided a definite, inarguable end to a topic. Then somebody (I think, Sara) rang it to signal a good point and it's been used as such ever since. I hate the bell. I wish MM would have tossed it and broken it. Yeah, that'd be too much, I know.

1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

I’m not sure Kevin Costner knew who she was talking about because he looked stunned or maybe he didn’t understand why she interrupted the flow of the conversation.

Kevin seemed awkward all around. When Sunny mentioned the movie Revenge, he looked lost. I even had to Google whether such a movie even existed.

1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Yes, every kid even now gets a varsity letter if they're on a varsity team, no try outs whatsoever at my kid's high school.  

I guess it depends on the size of the school district, which would affect the number of kids in athletics. My boy had to try out for the basketball. Didn't make it. Also, the kids have to be in a sport three years in order to earn a varsity jacket. 

6 minutes ago, Ohboy said:

I feel that Sara is just being objective. To me it’s quite refreshing. There are always two sides to every issue and you should be able to see both sides. Not seeing them and not actively trying to listen to the other side is often the major problem. Sara often does tell us her view when it aligns with the views of Sunny, Joy and Whoopi, but sees both sides when her personal view is not in alignment with theirs. Sara likely feels pressure to not agree with the conservative side for fear of being attacked the way Meghan is almost everyday. So she just says that she is trying seeing both sides.

Yes. I like this about Sara. She is not steadfast on Whoopi, Joy, and Sunny's side. She will disagree with them, when needed.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I seem to remember that the bell was first introduced by Michelle to Whoopi in order to provide her with a signal to indicate that a topic was over, time to move on. Because, you know, Whoopi has a hard time with transitions. The bell provided a definite, inarguable end to a topic. Then somebody (I think, Sara) rang it to signal a good point and it's been used as such ever since. I hate the bell. I wish MM would have tossed it and broken it. Yeah, that'd be too much, I know.

Kevin seemed awkward all around. When Sunny mentioned the movie Revenge, he looked lost. I even had to Google whether such a movie even existed.

I guess it depends on the size of the school district, which would affect the number of kids in athletics. My boy had to try out for the basketball. Didn't make it. Also, the kids have to be in a sport three years in order to earn a varsity jacket. 

Yes. I like this about Sara. She is not steadfast on Whoopi, Joy, and Sunny's side. She will disagree with them, when needed.

both my kids have played varsity for 12 seasons (shameless mom plug)  We are school w 1200 kids - never thought about if the other kids are getting the letter too.  We have to try out for Competitive cheer, boys baseball and boys basketball.  Girls softball is no try out and , football, they will pretty much take anyone so we have an army of kids dressed on the sideline., 

Cruz’s recommendation of the criteria required to justify separating children from parents is what I thought the spirit and intent of the ‘policy’ was during the Bush and Obama years as well, hence why we didn’t hear about this being such a prevalent thing during their administrations. I’m pretty sure there’s also a policy here in Canada that allows for separation but it must be for the protection of the child. No one can rest assure that these children are being well taken care of when they are being subjected to something traumatic, not by reason or justification, but by a blanket policy that is being enforced as law in the name of political leverage. They are providing basic sustenance so that they don’t have malnourished and/or dead children on their hands…there’s a far greater threshold needed to be deemed as ‘being well taken care of’. Why has it taken this long for anyone to address the fact that polls are a small fraction of a population that are prorated? It’s the biggest reason I don’t put much stock in these kinds of polls. Oh, and Laura Ingram is beyond scum.

I don’t watch award shows so it was nice hearing their highlights of the night. Chad is a sweetheart and I loved that he gave that award to a real life hero. Kindness and humility supersedes all.

Social media has its benefits but it’s also a hotbed for people who are absolute trash. A bunch of cowards who know they can hide behind their computer screens. Millie is so poised and mature for her age and I’m happy to see her use her platform to address a very common issue and rallying people to not put up with that behaviour.

There are people who do get offended when people in their social circles name their babies the same names they’ve used. Get off your high horse. You didn’t invent the name so it’s not like they stole the name from you. The only way a name is off limits for me is if my siblings have already used the name for their own children. That’s a close enough circle where having duplicate names just becomes too confusing. Otherwise, it’s fair game in my books.

To be fair to Meghan, she was quite pleasant today.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

There are people who do get offended when people in their social circles name their babies the same names they’ve used. Get off your high horse. You didn’t invent the name so it’s not like they stole the name from you. The only way a name is off limits for me is if my siblings have already used the name for their own children. That’s a close enough circle where having duplicate names just becomes too confusing. Otherwise, it’s fair game in my books.

It was a plot on Sex and the City. The women went to a baby shower and the mother to be was going to name her baby girl the name Charlotte had picked out for her future daughter.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Ohboy said:

No offense, but the only person I see attacking anybody on this show is Meghan.

As for Sara, it's clear she rarely agrees with Meghan going by the WTF faces she makes when Meghan's talking, which makes the fact that she validates some of Meghan's more reprehensible statements in order to appear "nice" problematic, imo. The other ladies don't require an extra panelist to play mom and hold their hand to prevent them from devolving into hysterical meltdowns bordering on tears like Meghan does. Sara should stick to giving her own opinions since this is The View, not daycare.

• Love 23
9 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

It was a plot on Sex and the City. The women went to a baby shower and the mother to be was going to name her baby girl the name Charlotte had picked out for her future daughter.  

Seinfeld did it too.  Seven was the name George wanted for his kid.  Susan's bestie ended up taking it.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Seinfeld did it too.  Seven was the name George wanted for his kid.  Susan's bestie ended up taking it.

Charlotte wanted the name Shayla.  Of course when she did have daughters she named them Lily and  Rose.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohboy said:

That is probably how Sara feels. Also her buddy Paula had a hard time and she doesn't want the same treatment. I think Sara is a moderate.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Yes, every kid even now gets a varsity letter if they're on a varsity team, no try outs whatsoever at my kid's high school. 

What?  No!

On today's show I was getting so frustrated with MM and her "Yes it horrible but his base .......".  I was screaming, "You are just as complicit missy".

• Love 6
2 hours ago, rcc said:

That is probably how Sara feels. Also her buddy Paula had a hard time and she doesn't want the same treatment. I think Sara is a moderate.

Paula only had a hard time on this show because of Whoopi. That's why she only appears on days Whoopi doesn't now. I doubt Whoopi would treat Sara--one of her "chosen one"'s--the same way. I agree, Sara is a moderate.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Paula only had a hard time on this show because of Whoopi. That's why she only appears on days Whoopi doesn't now. I doubt Whoopi would treat Sara--one of her "chosen one"'s--the same way. I agree, Sara is a moderate.

Paula and Joy seemed to bond when Paula attempted her comedy routine. Sara blossoms in MM's absence, which is true of everyone on the panel. Since this gig is so stressful for MM, I hope she doesn't return next season. Love Ana Navarro -- she's witty and voices her own opinions. One can only dream! 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, RHJunkie said:

Cruz’s recommendation of the criteria required to justify separating children from parents is what I thought the spirit and intent of the ‘policy’ was during the Bush and Obama years as well, hence why we didn’t hear about this being such a prevalent thing during their administrations. I’m pretty sure there’s also a policy here in Canada that allows for separation but it must be for the protection of the child. No one can rest assure that these children are being well taken care of when they are being subjected to something traumatic, not by reason or justification, but by a blanket policy that is being enforced as law in the name of political leverage. They are providing basic sustenance so that they don’t have malnourished and/or dead children on their hands…there’s a far greater threshold needed to be deemed as ‘being well taken care of’. Why has it taken this long for anyone to address the fact that polls are a small fraction of a population that are prorated? It’s the biggest reason I don’t put much stock in these kinds of polls. Oh, and Laura Ingram is beyond scum.

I don’t watch award shows so it was nice hearing their highlights of the night. Chad is a sweetheart and I loved that he gave that award to a real life hero. Kindness and humility supersedes all.

Social media has its benefits but it’s also a hotbed for people who are absolute trash. A bunch of cowards who know they can hide behind their computer screens. Millie is so poised and mature for her age and I’m happy to see her use her platform to address a very common issue and rallying people to not put up with that behaviour.

To be fair to Meghan, she was quite pleasant today.

My dad's brother and SIL named my cousin my name three years after I was born.  My mom wasn't crazy about it, especially because her SIL liked to say my mom stole the name from her - LOL.  My name is a former boy's name and my generation is where it switched, so there were essentially no girls with this name prior to my birth.  It didn't bother my cousin or me, it probably made us feel a closer connection.   The only unfortunate aspect was that side of the family called me by first and middle name (which I hated for years - another name usually used for boys)*, and my side called her by her first/middle name.  So even for my mom's side of the family, many called me by first and middle.

*My mom wasn't attempting to be a trendsetter.  She loved the name Kelly, and my middle name was spelled in the feminine form from a female movie character she loved.  I hated the combo for years because my parents are from Arkansas, and my name sounded rather hillbilly, and rhymed with Ellie Mae.

• Love 3

I don't CARE what side of the political spectrum Sara falls on or identifies with. Lately, when she speaks, she comes off as trying to pacify Meghan. Yeah, she's trying to be "fair" except when it comes to a certain woman, so I just side eye her. This isn't the NEWS, where she's required to be objective; she's not a NEWS journalist. Pick a damn view or talk about what YOU think. What YOU believe.

You know, maybe someone should just admit to that twat, YES! I want open borders! This wench is just so loaded for bear, prepared to fight and argue, I wonder what would happen if someone actually said/admitted what she's accusing them of (even if they don't and are not). She'd be allaflutta, I betcha.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

She is a real piece of work isn't she?  WTF cares what Trump's approval rating is?  WTF cares what the optics are? Children are crying uncontrollably for their parents.  I don't think I have ever been so ashamed of something our government is doing and for Meghan to be worried about how this looks for her party is disgusting.

Anger doesn't described how I felt yesterday when MM said, "Children in cages are bad optics for the Republican party!"  I wanted someone -- anyone on the panel to respond with the passion and anger I was feeling. Instead, I turned off the TV and WILL NOT watch The View until that blonde blob is gone!

• Love 13

According to Wendy Williams, co-hosts on panel shows are assigned roles. I think Joy and Whoopi are just themselves after all this time. Whoopi was name recognition. But Joy was clearly hired in the beginning to bring the funny. She still attempts to shoe horn a joke in every now and then. Not sure if she still has a comedy writer for the show.  The roles are not far from their personalities, probably exaggerated versions. Remember when they had Sherri and Jenni doing  Fric and Frack. Then fired them for doing what they asked. Meghan probably doesnt need much coaxing to be the conservative voice. They may even have to ask her to bring down the nasty. I think Sara has been assigned the middle and she does a great job. It suits her. I like her a lot, but it annoys me sometimes when she placates Meghan so much. Sunni officially is the legal opinion. But the coy little girl is who she is. I think she is still that 12 year old who went to high school. That had to be intimidating. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

Interesting to me that Meh-gun singles out Ivanka as someone who should speak out but isn't. 

Yet a couple weeks ago she was filleting Sam Bee for calling Ivanka a name for ignoring the plight of immigrant children.

• Love 22

I think the reason MM singled out Ivanka was because she has been so wishy washy on the subject. But her Dad came out in favor of keeping children with parents and so now she is stuck and doesn't have courage to say what SHE really thinks. Sooooo - blame someone else.

Can't stand her and don't trust a thing she says.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

My dad's brother and SIL named my cousin my name three years after I was born.  My mom wasn't crazy about it, especially because her SIL liked to say my mom stole the name from her - LOL.  My name is a former boy's name and my generation is where it switched, so there were essentially no girls with this name prior to my birth.  It didn't bother my cousin or me, it probably made us feel a closer connection.   The only unfortunate aspect was that side of the family called me by first and middle name (which I hated for years - another name usually used for boys)*, and my side called her by her first/middle name.  So even for my mom's side of the family, many called me by first and middle.

*My mom wasn't attempting to be a trendsetter.  She loved the name Kelly, and my middle name was spelled in the feminine form from a female movie character she loved.  I hated the combo for years because my parents are from Arkansas, and my name sounded rather hillbilly, and rhymed with Ellie Mae.

Isnt that crazy?!  People are nuts.  Gotta give it to Hollywood baby names, not much duplication there. My cousin shares my name, she was born 4 days after me. Back in those days my name was pretty rare, named after the Debbie Reynolds movie charactor.  My cousin and i both liked sharing the name.  I see it much more these days.  Ok @Redheadzombie, you have piqued my curiosity.  I love when girls have 'boy' names.  Is it Sydney? George? Michael?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Tammee said:

Isnt that crazy?!  People are nuts.  Gotta give it to Hollywood baby names, not much duplication there. My cousin shares my name, she was born 4 days after me. Back in those days my name was pretty rare, named after the Debbie Reynolds movie charactor.  My cousin and i both liked sharing the name.  I see it much more these days.  Ok @Redheadzombie, you have piqued my curiosity.  I love when girls have 'boy' names.  Is it Sydney? George? Michael?

It's Kelly!  It's now been a girl name forever.  I feel so old!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Interesting to me that Meh-gun singles out Ivanka as someone who should speak out but hasn't

Her bringing up Ivanka's name is getting her media coverage.   I think it was a calculated move to get Meghan's name out there.

• Love 11