Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Gone Girl 2018.06.21

• Start Topic

(edited)
14 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Yes, probably.  I have to laugh.  Cameron’s pregnancy was so different than mine, and she complained a lot.  I had three kids. Hard labor, no epidural, hardly any drugs, and husbands weren’t allowed in delivery.  We washed and boiled bottles, made formula and washed diapers.  I had no dryer then.  Nobody complained.  We did what we had to do.  

Most of us bottle fed.  My three kids are adults and are healthy, thank God.  Cameron is a lucky girl.  Maybe all the complaining  was producer driven.  I don’t know.  She has a beautiful healthy baby girl.  P.s.  I don’t get this “ mommy shaming”.  It’s her body and it’s her business what she wants to do with it.  If she doesn’t want backlash, she shouldn’t give a blow- by- blow on sm.

Telling new mothers to basically "suck it up" and don't complain isn't helpful, either.   Postpartum depression is a very real and dangerous thing.  I'm not saying Cam has it, she obviously doesn't, but the whole "you don't know how lucky you have it, back in my day blah blah blah" attitude only serves to make new mothers think they have to bottle up all of their feelings and not discuss it with anyone.  That can lead to very bad things.

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 17
9 hours ago, scrb said:

Pretty sure he lived like a slob in previous seasons too, especially when he was partying just about every night.

Then when Shep got on him about shaping up, finishing law school and taking the bar exam (remember when he pretended to send in the paperwork for the bar?), he accused Shep of bullying him, being jealous of him because he was younger and more attractive.

Then he went to RI to shape up, then returned and moved in with Naomi.  She must not have dated him too long before moving in together?  

When she got fed up with his poor habits, Craig said she was disloyal, not his "ride or die" chick.

Now, viewers have reasons to question the credibility of Shep and Naomi, since they both also have behavioral issues.  But when two different people take issue with the way he conducts his life, some of the shade must fall on Craig.

Easy TV money may be saving him from moving back home.  Now maybe he'll buy more properties with the TV money, to try to get mail box money like Shep?

That's fine if he can pull it off but looks like he's looking for income without working too hard.  He should own it if that's his goal.

Delaware.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, KittyKat133 said:

How would that be double if interest rates are only about 4% right now. 

It's just a common rule of thumb that if you mortgage a house, by the time you've paid it off, you've paid twice the purchase price. Key word being rule of thumb, not taking into consideration down payments, interest rates and equity loans. Just a rule of thumb to consider.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I don't think Kathryn was on a 'bender'.  She's tested regularly for drugs and alcohol.  She's passed.  And IIRC, she is subject to blood as well as hair tests. 

The whole breastfeeding thing just bugs.  Gizelle Bundchen once said that there should be a law that all women breastfeed.  Hello.  Breastfeeding is not this beautiful thing for all women.  Or simply leaky breasts, pain, and the inability to somewhat live a normal life can make a new mom depressed, anxious and feel resentment toward their child.  Yeah.  Breastfeeding is great for the child but in the end, it's about both the mother and the child.  Isn't the best thing that both mom and child are in the happiest place for both of them?  People love to 'judge' other people.  So I get Cam's honesty.  And hey, she did do it for three months.

I remember that.  It made me instantly hate Gizelle and I still do, to this day.  What a sanctimonious bitch.

• Love 12

Me, too, Red Delicious. For what it's worth, financial advisors will take one's cash reserves into effect when advising whether to pay off a mortgage, or pay cash for a property, regardless of age.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lezlers said:

I remember that.  It made me instantly hate Gizelle and I still do, to this day.  What a sanctimonious bitch.

She and her pretty face husband always think that they are so hot.

7 hours ago, Higgins said:

He never intended to pay a 30 year mortgage.

He is a house flipper.  Did on Church Street and then on Beaufain.  Had the Beaufain house listed for a $1,000,000 plus over when he originally paid for it.

• Love 2

I’m a huge fan of Cam’s and always have been. I read her instagram post about stopping breast feeding. I understood her reasons and applauded her for stating them so clearly. That should have been the end of it. I didn’t see the “Southern Charm” episode with her, Shep and Whitney and the alleged breast milk thing. That, in my opinion, was unwarranted and too much information for both of the men and the audience. That was producer driven and had I been Cameron in that instance, I’d have said no. If you want me off of the show if I say no to the continuance of this discussion/issue, then we can part ways. My daughter tried to breast feed the child they’d tried for ten years to have and was unable. He went on the bottle and surprise!!, he grew up just fine as did my two children who were bottle fed by my choice. My DIL breast fed for 18 months and complained all of the time about it. No one made her do it but boy, was she vocal about others who didn’t do it. I will never understand why women are so militant about this issue, shame other women who can’t or simply just don’t want to do it and then are so smug/sanctimonious about breast feeding. You’re not inventing the cure for cancer, ladies. Do it or not. Keep your opinions to yourselves and let other women do what works for them and their babies. I had an interesting discussion with my grandson’s pediatrician when my daughter couldn’t breastfeed and felt so shamed about it. Boy howdy. Did he give me an earful about the “Breastfeeding Nazis” !!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I’m a huge fan of Cam’s and always have been. I read her instagram post about stopping breast feeding. I understood her reasons and applauded her for stating them so clearly. That should have been the end of it. I didn’t see the “Southern Charm” episode with her, Shep and Whitney and the alleged breast milk thing. That, in my opinion, was unwarranted and too much information for both of the men and the audience. That was producer driven and had I been Cameron in that instance, I’d have said no. If you want me off of the show if I say no to the continuance of this discussion/issue, then we can part ways. My daughter tried to breast feed the child they’d tried for ten years to have and was unable. He went on the bottle and surprise!!, he grew up just fine as did my two children who were bottle fed by my choice. My DIL breast fed for 18 months and complained all of the time about it. No one made her do it but boy, was she vocal about others who didn’t do it. I will never understand why women are so militant about this issue, shame other women who can’t or simply just don’t want to do it and then are so smug/sanctimonious about breast feeding. You’re not inventing the cure for cancer, ladies. Do it or not. Keep your opinions to yourselves and let other women do what works for them and their babies. I had an interesting discussion with my grandson’s pediatrician when my daughter couldn’t breastfeed and felt so shamed about it. Boy howdy. Did he give me an earful about the “Breastfeeding Nazis” !!

My guess is they hate breastfeeding so they have to convince themselves of how wonderful they are for doing it and how horrible us lazy, formula feeding moms are in order to justify and validate the torture they're putting themselves through.   I really can't think of any other reason why they would care so damn much about how other mothers feed their own children.  I remember a friend of mine who prided herself on her non-judgmental view of childrearing saying "I think all babies should be breastfed but if they can't for whatever reason, formula is acceptable."   Gee, THANKS.   The fact that she didn't see anything at all wrong with that statement said so much. 

• Love 5

Just an FYI, Thomas owns the Ravenel Development Corporation:

http://www.raveneldevelop.com/index.html

He's in real estate and development.  So, it's no surprise that he invests in property for his own personal use.  BTW, for those who question why TRav would take out a mortgage on his house, the answer could be quite simple.  I don't think he keeps a million in his checking account.  It's invested.  And that investment, whether it be in commercial real estate or the stock market or whatever, may be making more of a return than what it would cost him for a mortgage.  Mortgage rates are low right now.  So, he could be paying 4% interest on mortgage but earning more on where the money is invested now.  It's a smart financial move and he's ahead of the game.

It reminds me a bit of when you buy a new car and you qualify for free financing or 1%.  You may have the ability to pay for the car in cash but it's smarter to take the loan and invest that money in a higher interest CD or money market or just a safe investment.

Lastly, rule of thumb about the cost of a mortgage is twice what you paid for it with a 30 year mortgage is totally dependent on the interest rate.  It's not true right now given the low interest rates available for qualified buyers.  Plus add in the tax deductions and the appreciation that happens in many cases.  Yeah, not always - the real estate bubble a decade ago, etc.  You have to be smart.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, MatildaMoody said:

I feel bad for the people that were spit on (because, GROSS), but I don't think it was actually human breast milk. I've seen human breast milk, and that did not in any way look like human breast milk.

Eh, that looked like my breast milk.  I think the look of breast milk varies.  I believe it was real.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

He's in real estate and development.  So, it's no surprise that he invests in property for his own personal use.  BTW, for those who question why TRav would take out a mortgage on his house, the answer could be quite simple.  I don't think he keeps a million in his checking account.  It's invested.  And that investment, whether it be in commercial real estate or the stock market or whatever, may be making more of a return than what it would cost him for a mortgage.  Mortgage rates are low right now.  So, he could be paying 4% interest on mortgage but earning more on where the money is invested now.  It's a smart financial move and he's ahead of the game.

It reminds me a bit of when you buy a new car and you qualify for free financing or 1%.  You may have the ability to pay for the car in cash but it's smarter to take the loan and invest that money in a higher interest CD or money market or just a safe investment.

Lastly, rule of thumb about the cost of a mortgage is twice what you paid for it with a 30 year mortgage is totally dependent on the interest rate.  It's not true right now given the low interest rates available for qualified buyers.  Plus add in the tax deductions and the appreciation that happens in many cases.  Yeah, not always - the real estate bubble a decade ago, etc.  You have to be smart.

Exactly! And I don't think he's planning to stay in that house for 30 years as if it's his only investment. He'll likely stay in it until the kids are older or his circumstances change. (Lord, please don't let him marry Ashley, those kids have it hard enough already!) I believe his house is on Daniel Island, where Kathryn also lives, so they're not living that far from each other, making it easier to do the child exchange, etc. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lezlers said:

My guess is they hate breastfeeding so they have to convince themselves of how wonderful they are for doing it and how horrible us lazy, formula feeding moms are in order to justify and validate the torture they're putting themselves through.   I really can't think of any other reason why they would care so damn much about how other mothers feed their own children.  I remember a friend of mine who prided herself on her non-judgmental view of childrearing saying "I think all babies should be breastfed but if they can't for whatever reason, formula is acceptable."   Gee, THANKS.   The fact that she didn't see anything at all wrong with that statement said so much. 

I breastfeed both my kids for a year. I didn't like it but I was lazy and didn't want to figure out formula or how to sterilize bottles. I did not care if other moms breastfed or not.  I also would have had an epidural when I hit the 9-month pregnancy mark if they could have given it to me, but no go, so I got one ASAP when I checked into the hospital and did I have a great pain free couple of births. Yet there are lots of moms who are so smug about gutting it out with natural deliveries and no epidurals. To each his own. There are food nazis in schools now ... my sister put a piece of homemade cake in her son's lunch and they sent a note home saying not to. People are way into each other's business nowadays. That's why I think Cameron is hysterical with her cheese balls and pickles and disregard for the sanctity of breast milk.  

• Love 15

I thought breast feeding was out of fashion for several decades in the 20th century, right as big conglomerates made baby formula into a multi billion dollar business.  Sure the marketing played up the inconvenience of breast feeding but not so much about the welfare of infants.

Since then, you almost always hear about the positive benefits of mothers milk, how much better it is for building up the immune system and overall development of the babies.

Heres something freaky that I once heard.  There are receptors in the mothers nipple that detects what's in the baby's saliva and changes the chemical composition of the mothers milk based on that feedback.

Now do that with formula!

• Love 1
(edited)

On the flip side of the breastfeeding thing... I breast fed my son for 2 years and enjoyed it a lot.  After he was a year old I started getting lectured from people who thought it was weird. To be honest, pressure from other people (including my husband) was one of the main reasons I stopped. I was only really doing it to put him to sleep at night and when he was sick, but whatever. I heard that “when they can ask for it, they’re too old”. 

But I would never judge another mother for how she fed her baby, just as I didn’t really enjoy being judged on the reverse side. 

On the positive, I had to give up dairy for those two years because my son is allergic, and I lost a ton of weight and my cholesterol is fantastic hahha. 

Edited by Vipbrj
  • Love 5
(edited)

I’m surprised that more people aren’t alarmed by Craig. He looked strung out at his meeting with Patricia. Pale, sweaty face sheen, greasy hair, unable to converse properly...

Him looking at last minute clip art ideas when he was supposed to be on his way to Patricia’s showed how bad off he is. And that meeting with his friend in the bar-yikes! That dude was in utter disbelief at the crap spewing from Craig. 

Then Cameran asking Shep and Whit if Craig has been laid since Naomie...or ever in his life *before* Naomie! Wow, the jig is up! Maybe he is a closeted gay man and is self sabotaging himself because he can’t accept himself? Not sure but something is terribly off with Craig. 

So Chelsea asks Austen out next week?? Damn she is a game player. 

Edited by Sage47
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I'm no spring chicken, and just bought a summer rental property with a 30 year mortgage. I have no intention of paying it off! Lol! The tax insentives are plentiful-I'm even allowed to write off the gas money I spend to drive to it for maintenance and repairs, I have renters paying off the mortgage, and can enjoy it myself whenever I want. One day, maybe I'll sell it and pocket the equity and the property value increase, or let my kids do that. I was taught that a mortgage being payed off regularly is "good debt", much like "good cholesterol" ;) It is much more advantageous to have a mortgage, tax-wise, than to pay off a mortgage entirely to the bank. There's a reason properties that are mortgaged are called "tax shelters".

• Love 3

And all things being equal, the best investment anyone can make is real estate. I'm not counting getting lucky buying Apple in 1998, or getting an insider tip on a tech stock that takes off. Be it the right location/right price, it will make good money for you, you just need the down payment and balls of steel. Thomas is making big money in real estate. He's doing it right. That's why the other two (shep, Craig) are scrambling to follow his lead. I bet shep's beach house will be on the market in 4 years, and I bet it will double in value. No one ever gets rich putting their money in the bank. Especially today!

• Love 4

I think Cameron is beautiful, and smart and witty, but darn it, something about her just irks me. I don't know what it is, but whatever it is, she just seems 'well-crafted'. She has some experience in the reality tv biz before Southern Charm, and knows how to play it. I think she's probably smarter than all of them put together.

• Love 8
(edited)
4 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

I think Cameron is beautiful, and smart and witty, but darn it, something about her just irks me. I don't know what it is, but whatever it is, she just seems 'well-crafted'. She has some experience in the reality tv biz before Southern Charm, and knows how to play it. I think she's probably smarter than all of them put together.

Cam reminds me of the classic sorority girl, always dressed to the nines and her shit doesn’t stink.

Edited by Major Bigtime
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, scrb said:

Heres something freaky that I once heard.  There are receptors in the mothers nipple that detects what's in the baby's saliva and changes the chemical composition of the mothers milk based on that feedback.

Breast milk definitely changes depending upon the baby's current needs. That's why you can't really say what looks like breastmilk and what doesn't. It can change from thick to thin and even change colors depending on the baby. Crazy!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, scrb said:

I thought breast feeding was out of fashion for several decades in the 20th century, right as big conglomerates made baby formula into a multi billion dollar business.  Sure the marketing played up the inconvenience of breast feeding but not so much about the welfare of infants.

Since then, you almost always hear about the positive benefits of mothers milk, how much better it is for building up the immune system and overall development of the babies.

Now do that with formula!

Actually, new studies have recently come out indicating a nominal difference between breast and formula fed babies.   The studies you're referring to are outdated and failed to tke socioeconomic status and other factors into consideration.  The newer studies were performed on actual siblings and found the differences negligible.  

But, this isn't a conversation on whether breast is truly best, it's about the mommy shaming that happens to those of us who don't breastfeed for whatever reason.   Your post kind of proves our points. 

• Love 13

Charmers,

We are getting off-topic with the breast milk discussion.  Talking about the specific scene on the show is fine.  However, we are getting a bit far afield in the "breast is best"/mommy shaming discussion.  If you would like to continue discussing breastfeeding, please head on over to Small Talk, the place for all non-show-specific talk.  Also, Cameran has her own thread.  If we're talking about things she posted on Instagram or other social media, that's a good place to go.  On the plus side, that thread also includes photos of her baby.  That kid is pretty darn cute! Revel in the cuteness! 

PPAL

• Love 14

Craig not getting the flu shot bc of that random cheerleader story is so absolutely hysterical to me. And that Naomie says he mentioned it every time flu season comes around is also funny.

You all may be on to something here: the kid is not right. Or he's playing all of us. Who knows.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Craig not getting the flu shot bc of that random cheerleader story is so absolutely hysterical to me. And that Naomie says he mentioned it every time flu season comes around is also funny.

You all may be on to something here: the kid is not right. Or he's playing all of us. Who knows.

All we need to do is post a science-y article about a man whose laziness caused his dick to invert, tweet it at Craig, and BOOM - he’s cured.

• Love 22
18 hours ago, Vipbrj said:

But I would never judge another mother for how she fed her baby, just as I didn’t really enjoy being judged on the reverse side. 

It's like the tattoo issue.  I have some, but I don't care if you don't.  Those that don't should not care that I do.  Simple as that.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Sage47 said:

I’m surprised that more people aren’t alarmed by Craig. He looked strung out at his meeting with Patricia. Pale, sweaty face sheen, greasy hair, unable to converse properly...

Him looking at last minute clip art ideas when he was supposed to be on his way to Patricia’s showed how bad off he is. And that meeting with his friend in the bar-yikes! That dude was in utter disbelief at the crap spewing from Craig. 

I also noted that at the beginning of the episode he was taking his vitamins with what looked to be a tall tumbler of beer...

He is a hot mess of epic proportions and its just a matter of time before he implodes.

• Love 5

SAGE47, why should we be alarmed by Craig? He’s not our son, brother, nephew, grandson, neighbor or friend. He’s a grown man who can or cannot take care of himself. 

• Love 2

Craig this week seems like the Craig of last season who made it very easy to understand Naoimi's frustration. He seemed out of it when he met with Patricia. Was he taking meds for his severed finger? 

• Love 5

Craig doesn't seem to care that he's burning opportunity bridges. He's gone through most of this crew and one or two in his real life. They are not going to keep coming, when is he going to realize that?

• Love 6
12 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Craig this week seems like the Craig of last season who made it very easy to understand Naoimi's frustration. He seemed out of it when he met with Patricia. Was he taking meds for his severed finger? 

He was shown taking pills of some sort.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/25/2018 at 7:24 AM, VedaPierce said:

I will never be able to get the Cameron of Real World out of my head.  She was dirty and drunk all the time, talking about her diarrhea issues due to nervous stomach when the dude she was into (Brad) had his girlfriend come to visit.  She also wore a trucker hat the whole time, and used a vibrator (kind of) on camera (we heard it).

There are some BAD pictures of her online.  I do like her, but she is not a perfect little princess.  She has matured, but she is just lucky to be able to get a new "look" this time around.

On 6/25/2018 at 8:36 AM, Otherkate said:

Breast milk definitely changes depending upon the baby's current needs. That's why you can't really say what looks like breastmilk and what doesn't. It can change from thick to thin and even change colors depending on the baby. Crazy!

Isn't it crazy what the human body can do?  It amazes me every day.

I do believe mommy-shamers are awful, and I CLAIM to not be one, and that I will never be one... BUT I was out the other day and I saw a woman HAND her small child a mountain dew.  I really wanted to say something, but I didn't.  I am sick to my stomach that a small child is getting mountain dew, it is like poison - the child is getting a drug (caffeine).  Yet I claim to not be a mommy-shamer.

I mean, even saying this here is mommy-shaming, and edging on sancti-mommy!  I guess it is human nature to see something, and worry about another person's child.  

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 4
(edited)

Austen did a drunk(?) and douchey Instagram tell-all about Victoria and Chelsea last night and it was hilarious. He's an out and out ass, totally. Probably the first time I may have felt bad for Victoria.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Austen did a drunk(?) and douchey Instagram tell-all about Victoria and Chelsea last night and it was hilarious. He's an out and out ass, totally. Probably the first time I may have felt bad for Victoria.

Please do tell, SLOWPOKED!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, zenme said:

Please do tell, SLOWPOKED!

Re: Chelsea - he needs a woman with a sex drive.

He's getting clobbered by people saying, "well maybe, if she wasn't paying for your dinner and you're not drinking all the time, she may want to fuck you instead..." LOL!

Re: Victoria - apparently, their confrontation after the party didn't end on what he mentioned on the show. After she threw the drink at him and he left, apparently she followed her home and threw rocks at his window and he had to call the cops. Third time that she freaked out like that, apparently. Victoria called him out and his bitter little heart.

From what I know, they (Austen and Victoria) made peace when they broke up not too long before Christmas. But I guess reliving the relationship on TV made someone a bit of a tattletale, and all the hurt feelings are coming back to the surface. I do feel teeny, tiny bad for Victoria, but oh well, I hope the 15 minutes was worth it. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Hahah!!! Yeah, sick her on Thomas!

I can’t believe any grownassed women would be legitimately fighting over Austen. Bless their hearts...much like the so-called men of Atlanta, there must be a real shortage of good men in Charleston too.

Edited to add: it appears he has since scrubbed his stories clean. Bet he got some shit over that. Maybe Victoria violated her restraining order and paid him another rock-tossing visit...or Chelt-see threatened to beat his ass up.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, zenme said:

Wow! She seems like a bit of a psychopath. Uh oh! You know what that means! Thomas Ravenel's aphrodisiac is crazy women. 

Well, as much as she may have that kind of crazy in her, I would actually like to hear her side of the story, as Austen isn't exactly the person whose word I would trust as gospel truth. Victoria's sister made a mysterious comment praising her sister for resisting the itch to air Austen's "dirty, dirty, dirty laundry..." 

What was funny though in this whole exchange was Victoria putting the quotes in Austen's "beer party" when she responded to someone. That was genuinely funny.

1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

Edited to add: it appears he has since scrubbed his stories clean. Bet he got some shit over that. Maybe Victoria violated her restraining order and paid him another rock-tossing visit...or Chelt-see threatened to beat his ass up.

Oh he did get some shit over it. He thought everyone would just side with him and find his "jokes" belly-laugh funny. I'm guessing Cheltsee couldn't care less at this point as she's in Netherlands having fun with her professional sailor boyfriend. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, zenme said:

Wow! She seems like a bit of a psychopath. Uh oh! You know what that means! Thomas Ravenel's aphrodisiac is crazy women. 

Ha!  Yes you know once Thomas gets wind of this he will be looking for her out and about.  It's just his type.

I actually liked Victoria (I like Ashley too), and I think she was hurt and probably acted a bit crazy because of it.  Ok, a lot crazy.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Ha!  Yes you know once Thomas gets wind of this he will be looking for her out and about.  It's just his type.

I actually liked Victoria (I like Ashley too), and I think she was hurt and probably acted a bit crazy because of it.  Ok, a lot crazy.

You like Ashley??? Um........

Has anyone seen the After Shows? Wow, interesting stuff. Austen’s body language sitting next to Craig-he can’t stand the guy. 

Ashley looked about fifty-five on the after shows. She also weighs about 90 lbs. 

JD was trying desperately to spin his troubles with Elizabeth and looked nervous as hell. 

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Imhere said:

Oh wow, Chelsea is very annoying the way she pronounces her 's' es. I have to mute her. Lol. Oh and that Ashely and her talking through her teeth...she doesn't open her jaw. Anyone notice that?

Yes, Chelsea and the sibilance.  I've heard it a lot in the last few years.  I blame it on the proliferation of veneers.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yes, Chelsea and the sibilance.  I've heard it a lot in the last few years.  I blame it on the proliferation of veneers.

I blame it on the Kartrashians, but then I blame everything in them.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 11