Type keyword(s) to search

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Here's the thread for Bohemian Rhapsody, the long-awaited (and long-delayed) biopic of the late, great Queen frontman Freddie Mercury, with Rami Malek in the title role-and if the trailer is any indication, when it comes to the movie, "I want it all/And I want it now":

Bohemian Rhapsody

• Love 8
On 5/16/2018 at 8:28 PM, Shannon L. said:

I'll have to watch it again, but I could swear that I saw a short clip of Freddie standing over a man and that man sliding a hand up his leg.  Also, I thought I heard somewhere that the movie itself didn't focus too much on at least the AIDS part of his life. 

Isn’t the movie supposed to end with the LiveAid performance or something like that?  Would he have even known he was sick at that point?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, PRgal said:

Isn’t the movie supposed to end with the LiveAid performance or something like that?  Would he have even known he was sick at that point?

I'm not sure, I haven't heard.  But, since you quoted me, I reread what I wrote and realized I left something out:  I think I heard somewhere that Brian May didn't want the movie to focus on Freddie's illness. 

1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm not sure, I haven't heard.  But, since you quoted me, I reread what I wrote and realized I left something out:  I think I heard somewhere that Brian May didn't want the movie to focus on Freddie's illness. 

Not surprised at that. I remember Freddie being really private, especially about his diagnosis. IIRC, he held off telling the band until close to the end.

Because I remember him bejng really private, especially about having AIDS, I'll be happy if the movie doesn't focus on that. Ending with Queen owning Live AID would really be perfect. I remember watching their performance (my introduction to Queen) and it was brilliant.

• Love 16

The movie is supposed to be a biopic of Queen, not specifically Freddie, so the proposed ending makes sense.  That's not to say there won't be a focus on Freddie. From what I hear, there will be, but it's not the story of Freddie's life.

As for his illness--

Spoiler

From what I've been reading, it's said by people who have allegedly seen the move, it does end at Live Aid in '87 but he's tested for HIV/AIDS a year before.  I don't know if that's true to real life or not but it is included.

I saw the trailer during Deadpool 2 and it does look good. The acgor they cast for Brian May looked like Brian May, the one for Freddie, not at all. I hope they ac8use Queen's music (the trailer made it seem like it) and not try to remake it. Freddie had an amazing range and recognizable voice, as longas they use Queen recordings I'll probably go see it.

• Love 1

I've seen plenty of "bio-pic" type movies that don't end up showing a main characters' death, they just include a screen with a written epilogue at the end.  But even if Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't do even that, I'm ok.  I'm happy enough with seeing a movie about the band's creation/rise to glory.  Rami looks great!

• Love 5

I loved Queen, and I loved their performance at Live Aid (I was ten, watching it at home, but really wanted to be there). I don't know if I want to see the movie, though. I tend to regret watching the behind-the-scenes stories. 

My mum cried whenever she tried to listen to Queen, after Freddy died. She was just so sad that he was gone.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I loved that but, I had to laugh at them trying to time Live Aid's Radio Gaga clap to We Will Rock You.

Queen Confession: I hate We Are the Champions

I noticed that, too.

We are the Champions?  Not a favorite of mine either.  I can take it or leave it.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Joe said:

New trailer. Looks pretty good, and doesn't ignore his private life.

I cannot imagine anyone seeing this movie and it being quiet during the songs. Like the first trailer, I got goosebumps again watching this trailer. 

Anyone have any good recommendations for a book about Freddie Mercury or Queen? I don’t know if I can wait until this movie comes out...

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 8:51 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I loved that but, I had to laugh at them trying to time Live Aid's Radio Gaga clap to We Will Rock You.

RIGHT?!?!?!? I was like. …….."That's the wrong song though?"

• Love 1
On 7/17/2018 at 1:51 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I was an early adopter of Queen:  I still remember which guy in high school told me I needed to check out this band called Queen, and I bought the 8-track of their first album and it was love at first listen.  Honestly, I can't even imagine the numbers of hours my friends and I spent driving around listening to it.  And I stayed with them through Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack, and then began drifting away, although I'm sure I bought A Night at the Opera. 

Several years ago, they were showing "Hungarian Rhapsody" in theaters, and a couple of years after that, "Queen Rock."  I went to both because...Queen, obviously.  But I realized I just don't like their later music.  So I'm with you on We Are the Champions, but would add a lot more to the list.

I didn't pay attention to Live Aid, but got curious recently and watched it, and I was really underwhelmed.  I get that they got the crowd all involved, but musically, I didn't like any of it.  And if that's the best Live Aid had to offer, then I don't think I missed anything.

On 5/26/2018 at 11:17 AM, Irlandesa said:

The movie is supposed to be a biopic of Queen, not specifically Freddie, so the proposed ending makes sense.  That's not to say there won't be a focus on Freddie. From what I hear, there will be, but it's not the story of Freddie's life.

One trailer says:  "The only thing more extraordinary than their music is his story."  So I think it will be very Freddie-centric.

From what I've seen, I think Malek's teeth are awful.  I don't know why they couldn't have gone with something more subtle, but for some reason Hollywood is completely unable to make decent looking 1970s men's wigs, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.  I have found the teeth very distracting, however, every time I've seen the trailer.

What I'm hoping is that whoever plays John Deacon has the balls to perm his hair and wear the god-awful outfits, including the short-shorts, he sported at some of the concerts.  That would be worth the price of admission, and deserving of some sort of award.  Making yourself look like that takes real nerve and a commitment to one's craft.

• Love 2
On 10/9/2018 at 5:03 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I was an early adopter of Queen:  I still remember which guy in high school told me I needed to check out this band called Queen, and I bought the 8-track of their first album and it was love at first listen.  Honestly, I can't even imagine the numbers of hours my friends and I spent driving around listening to it.  And I stayed with them through Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack, and then began drifting away, although I'm sure I bought A Night at the Opera. 

Several years ago, they were showing "Hungarian Rhapsody" in theaters, and a couple of years after that, "Queen Rock."  I went to both because...Queen, obviously.  But I realized I just don't like their later music.  So I'm with you on We Are the Champions, but would add a lot more to the list.

I didn't pay attention to Live Aid, but got curious recently and watched it, and I was really underwhelmed.  I get that they got the crowd all involved, but musically, I didn't like any of it.  And if that's the best Live Aid had to offer, then I don't think I missed anything.

One trailer says:  "The only thing more extraordinary than their music is his story."  So I think it will be very Freddie-centric.

From what I've seen, I think Malek's teeth are awful.  I don't know why they couldn't have gone with something more subtle, but for some reason Hollywood is completely unable to make decent looking 1970s men's wigs, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.  I have found the teeth very distracting, however, every time I've seen the trailer.

What I'm hoping is that whoever plays John Deacon has the balls to perm his hair and wear the god-awful outfits, including the short-shorts, he sported at some of the concerts.  That would be worth the price of admission, and deserving of some sort of award.  Making yourself look like that takes real nerve and a commitment to one's craft.

And he's the kid from Jurassic Park in this movie. Timmy! He was born in 1983 like me. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 2
On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 8:51 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

It's not one of my favourites. I also really don't like We Will Rock You or Another One Bites The Dust. Queen have so many songs that are so much better, but apparently you just can't beat a simplistic, repetitive beat.

I'm really conflicted about this movie. If it's good, then I'll be so happy, but the trailers don't have me convinced. Malek doesn't seem to be embodying Freddy Mercury, to me. Of course, the edited clips can be misleading, but I don't see the same kind of natural charisma that Freddy had. And yes, the teeth look terrible.

I'm also generally not into maudlin movies that ask you to watch someone wasting away from an illness, and I fear that's what they'll turn the last third of the movie into.

• Love 1

I've debated wanting to see this and maybe not.

This article tells a lot more about what some friends remember (and why they don't think he'd fit the PC media of today.

I think I would have liked the original man.  The band ? I'm not so sure about.  Their songs adapted to sports chants I've heard too often.

• Love 3

If you have T-Mobile, Bohemian Rhapsody is one of their T-Mobile Tuesday deals. $4 ticket for Bohemian Rhapsody via ATOM. 

I was iffy on the movie, then definite after the trailer, then back to iffy when the reviews came out.  However, it might be worth the $4. 

Edited by Morrigan2575

Just came back from the theater. Disclaimer: I was born in 1987.

I enjoyed it and the story was cohesive. I'm sure a lot of things were washed down, or simply looked over. I do wish the movie had shown Freddie in his final days...the last shot of the film is from Live Aid in 1985, Freddie lived for SIX! MORE! YEARS! after that. In that regard, I felt cheated. As in the producers touched on him having AIDS but did not want to dig deep into what that meant.

I enjoyed the friendship he maintained with Mary throughout his life. Although I'm not sure if they ever divorced, we only get a scene where she no longer has her wedding ring.

Overall, I recommend it. The music is great, obviously. Malek delivers a good performance. 

• Love 4

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!

Rami, Gwylme, Joseph & Ben are fricking amazing.  In fact, you’d think it was John & Brian stepping out of a time machine.  Rami gets the essence and body language of Freddie down to a T, and you don’t much notice the horrible teeth prosthetics.

• Love 17
12 hours ago, Stenbeck said:

Freddie lived for SIX! MORE! YEARS! after that. In that regard, I felt cheated. As in the producers touched on him having AIDS but did not want to dig deep into what that meant.

IIRC, he wasn't even diagnosed until 1987. So they moved the AIDS issue up for some drama.

enjoyed the friendship he maintained with Mary throughout his life. Although I'm not sure if they ever divorced, we only get a scene where she no longer has her wedding ring.

I remember reading after his death that he left almost everything to her. IIRC she got his house, money and cats. But sure if she got everything but, she got a bulk of his estate.

One question for those that have watched is Rami singing or are they using Freddie's voice? Freddie's range was so amazing and his voice was fabulous I just can't imagine anyone else singing Queen songs. It's why I didn't yet tickets to see Queen last year when they were in my area.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Man, this was great. Rami killed it. I did get teary-eyed about the AIDS scene because it makes me think of my uncle being succumbed to that disease in 1989. It was awesome, though. Okay, we are having an Elton John bio in the near future. How about a Duran Duran or David Bowie bio? That would be neat.

And who played Bob Geldoff? That was perfect casting. How eerily similar was that Queen video "I Want To Break Free"? It looked like the exact same video verbatim. That was excellent.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 13

I just got back, and I thought it was very nicely done.  As @Stenbeck said, the story was cohesive, and I thought hit all the right notes (so to speak).  With biopics, I always wonder how much is real, but since Brian May was involved (at least as a producer), I have to think that it was a mostly fair representation of the band in general, even if they did move events a bit in time.  Was there really a Paul who controlled and isolated Freddie like that? I assume they used actual crowd footage from Live Aid? 

Rami definitely killed it -- he was incredible.  His ass isn't quite as fine as Freddie's was, but it'll do.  :)  He did seem a bit uncomfortable with the teeth, but perhaps Freddie was, too.  I don't see how they could adequately represent Freddie without the teeth, though.  They were so distinctive, and uniquely Freddie.

The music credits on IMDB don't say anything about this cast singing -- Queen is credited with the vocals.

I have no issues with them ending the movie when they did.  It was about so much more than Freddie having AIDS -- I was in college in the early 80s, and there were stories about the epidemic nightly on the news. I didn't really need the visual of Freddie getting sicker and dying to complete the movie.  The tags during the credits were enough for me.  I am glad he and Mary were friends to the end.

I did like a lot of the smaller touches, too -- like seeing Monty Python on the TV in the background in one scene.  The casting of Mike Myers as the EMI record executive who dismisses them (the one they walk out on) was brilliant, and who has the throwaway line about nobody headbanging in their cars to Bohemian Rhapsody.  And then on my way home from the theater, BoRhap came on the radio, and of course I did the Wayne's World headbanging... 

• Love 23
17 hours ago, Stenbeck said:

Just came back from the theater. Disclaimer: I was born in 1987.

I enjoyed it and the story was cohesive. I'm sure a lot of things were washed down, or simply looked over. I do wish the movie had shown Freddie in his final days...the last shot of the film is from Live Aid in 1985, Freddie lived for SIX! MORE! YEARS! after that. In that regard, I felt cheated. As in the producers touched on him having AIDS but did not want to dig deep into what that meant.

I enjoyed the friendship he maintained with Mary throughout his life. Although I'm not sure if they ever divorced, we only get a scene where she no longer has her wedding ring.

Overall, I recommend it. The music is great, obviously. Malek delivers a good performance. 

IRL, they were never married (just engaged) though Freddie did at times refer to Mary as his wife. He left her half of his estate, his London mansion (where she still lives) and entrusted her to keep his final resting place hidden. Here's more about their relationship:

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/11/215763/mary-austin-now-freddie-mercury-wife-girlfriend-bohemian-rhapsody

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7374218/freddie-mercury-gay-flings-engagement-mary-austin/

And more on Freddie and Jim Hutton:

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/11/215897/jim-hutton-death-freddie-mercury-partner-aids-bohemian-rhapsody

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ Doesn’t Straightwash, but It’s Confused About Freddie Mercury’s Sexuality

There has been much hand-wringing over the portrayal of iconic bisexual Queen frontman Freddie Mercury in “Bohemian Rhapsody.” From the film’s inception in 2010, media critics, rock biographers, and queer writers have (justifiably) worried the film would leave out, or at least soft pedal, Mercury’s AIDS-related death and relationships with men. An initial trailer appeared to confirm these fears, prompting gay TV writer Bryan Fuller to tweet his frustration (in all caps, of course).

Rami Malek, who threw himself into the role of Mercury, also threw himself into the fray when he stumbled over a question of whether Mercury was a gay icon. “What’s really great about him is he never, uh, wanted to or thought of himself as being boxed into anything. He just was,” he stammered. “If he’s an icon to one, there’s no reason that it requires another adjective, as far I see.” When asked about the movie’s purported “straightwashing,” actress Lucy Boynton, who plays Mercury’s former fiancée Mary Austin, suggested “people want to have something to criticize.”

Audiences looking to decide for themselves won’t find much clarity in “Bohemian Rhapsody;” most confused of all is the film itself.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

I disagree.  Maybe it’s because I’m hopelessly heterosexual, and I don’t see things the same way, but it seemed to me that once Freddie admitted his sexuality to himself in the movie, there was no equivocating at all.  Maybe it left out women after Mary, thus glossing over his bisexuality, but it did not seem to me to “soft-pedal” or hide his relationships with men.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 18

I loved it.

I can't relate to the critics at all.

I really, really loved it.  My parents loved it too.  They're a huge fan of the 70s, and they were just enthralled.  I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement.

Rami is incredible.

It goes into my favourites of 2018 alongside Crazy Rich Asians, Black Panther, and Mission Impossible Fallout.  Rami gives one of my favourite performances alongside Chadwick Boseman and Bradley Cooper.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12

The thing is, I don't think this is a good movie, but I enjoyed it anyway. With that soundtrack, how could I not? The actors did a great job, although the actors who played Deacon, May and Taylor don't have much to do besides impersonating their counterparts. The only thing I really didn't like was that the movie showed the fact that Freddie wanted to try it on his own like this big bertrayal, when the truth is that all of them had their side projects. Also, according to the movie, it was like Freddie was the only one doing drugs and having wild sex and let me tell you all I seriously doubt that. 

It's easy to overlook him, since we're talking about Queen, but Alan Leech is amazing in his disgusting role. Oh, how much I wanted to punch him in the face, what a vile, ugly person. And I also loved when the song "We are the champions" hits the "no time for losers" and we get to see the guy who rejected BR, heh. The movie had some other funny moments, (i.e., when Roger's flirting with Freddie's sister) but we saw most of them in the trailers. 

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 6

I’m not going to read any of the reviews. I only watched that one trailer. I grew up listening to Queen and I’m looking forward to seeing this movie. And I also remember being stuck to my teevee when they performed at Live Aid and loving every minute.

And based on comments from today, I know I’m gonna love this. The Critics can just SUCK IT.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

The thing is, I don't think this is a good movie, but I enjoyed it anyway. With that soundtrack, how could I not? The actors did a great job, although the actors who played Deacon, May and Taylor don't have much to do besides impersonating their counterparts. The only thing I really didn't like was that the movie showed the fact that Freddie wanted to try it on his own like this big bertrayal, when the truth is that all of them had their side projects. Also, according to the movie, it was like Freddie was the only one doing drugs and having wild sex and let me tell you all I seriously doubt that. 

It's easy to overlook him, since we're talking about Queen, but Alan Leech is amazing in his disgusting role. Oh, how much I wanted to punch him in the face, what a vile, ugly person. And I also loved when the song "We are the champions" hits the "no time for losers" and we get to see the guy who rejected BR, heh. The movie had some other funny moments, (i.e., when Roger's flirting with Freddie's sister) but we saw most of them in the trailers. 

They were certainly hinting at some shenanigans involving Roger Taylor.  Not surprising since his relationship with Dominique broke down but they got married anyway "for the sake of the children" while he went on to other women.

30 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’m not going to read any of the reviews. I only watched that one trailer. I grew up listening to Queen and I’m looking forward to seeing this movie. And I also remember being stuck to my teevee when they performed at Live Aid and loving every minute.

And based on comments from today, I know I’m gonna love this. The Critics can just SUCK IT.

The reviews for the film are ironic, considering the movie contains lots of critics' negative comments for "Bohemian Rhapsody" (the song).

• Love 5

I found this movie very entertaining and extremely heart breaking as well. I am a big Queen fan and watching it brought back all the feelings I had when I found out Freddie had died. I remember his death cast a pall over our Thanksgiving dinner in 1991 (all the young people in the family were fans.) I cried all through the Live Aid segment, especially when Freddie was singing "I don't wanna die. I sometimes wish I hadn't been born at all." He faced his own mortality with a performance that has gone down in history as one of the greatest concert moments the world has ever seen. I was sobbing by the end because I felt the world being robbed of his talent all over again. I thought too of all the other millions of voices silenced by that horrible disease. And now I'm crying again.

• Love 20

I am 63 and Queen broke huge during my college years. I am always afraid of anything retro to that timeframe since I am quite critical when they miss the mark. I thought the wigs were bad. However I loved the movie, Rami was brilliant. Also as a member of the gay community at the time, I thought the tone of the movie was exactly right. People lost jobs, families and their lives over being gay. Finding your gay peers was such a heady, life changing experience. The sexual abandon in the pre-AIDS gay world was hard to explain to the post AIDS world.

Some of my favorite parts were of the band together. All the secondary parts were well cast. 

ETA: when Aiden Gillen opened his mouth, I was: “Littlefinger!”.....his voice is so distinctive. 

Edited by Quickbeam
Typo
  • Love 13