Type keyword(s) to search

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm a strict big-screen viewer.  I chose not to see Bohemian Rhapsody, but then it showed up when I had a free preview of HBO so I watched it out of curiosity. 

I think the teeth would have driven me insane on a big screen, but I also think the Live Aid performance suffered greatly on the small screen.  As I was watching, I was imagining it on a big screen with great sound, and how fabulous that would be.  And since that was at the end of the movie, I can see that the high it created would remain on people leaving the theater, which might affect how they felt about the rest of the movie.

Yeah, Live Aid rocked in the theatre. A bunch of people stayed during the credits for the songs that played during them. It was like a collective high. 

• Love 2
On 9/20/2020 at 5:00 PM, truthaboutluv said:

And I remember a movie critic in her prediction saying that guaranteed, they likely submitted the Live Aid sequence and if a voter went off just that clip, especially side by side to the real Live Aid performance, she could see how they would be swayed to vote for Bohemian Rhapsody.

The best thing about the movie for me was that is sent me to youtube to find video of Queen's actual Live Aid performance.  Now THAT rocked.

• Love 3
On 11/12/2018 at 4:33 PM, Robert Lynch said:

After this biopic, I think a Prince biopic would be awesome. I just don't know who could play him. Prince always had a distinct look. His former lovers, eccentric behavior, issues with his music being downloaded, and all the rest. He was a very talented, but difficult man to work with. Worked nonstop hours throughout his whole life.

Anyone who watched Rami on SNL last week, there was a skit referencing a casting call for a Prince bio-pic and Rami looked incredibly like him. His thin build was perfect, but as "Jordan Peele" said in the skit, no way would they cast a white (Middle Eastern) man in the role. The drama that would cause would be unbelievable. Great skit, though. He had the look. 

I bought the BoRap Blu Ray (despite seeing the movie constantly on cable) because the entire Live Aid performance was included on the disc. It was chopped for time in the film. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars

I finally got around to watching the movie. I actually watched LiveAid on *my local UHF channel* because I *read about it in the newspaper*. The line up was bonkers, so I get why they framed the movie around it, even though Queen goes on the next year to rip the killer Highlander soundtrack. (I'm glad they did get one of the tracks in the movie). 

I pinged bs on them breaking up, but I guess that's movies. It was kind of jarring that the band themselves were all fairly supportive, and then they have Freddie just quit. In real life they were all burned out from touring, so I think you're at the same place with Freddie-movie just saying, I can't do this anymore, and then they regroup for LiveAid. Even though they just finished another album that year.

I didn't know everyone wrote songs, so that was cool. I can't believe how hard they nailed LiveAid. And Malek nailed Freddie. 

I always feel sad though. I grew up then, and I wasn't that old, but I knew the stigma of aids was wrong. I can't help but feel bad.

• Love 4
On 2/25/2019 at 8:34 AM, truthaboutluv said:

I don't think some people realize the vocal talent and ability Freddie Mercury possessed. 

He's got more range than Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, and Whitney Houston. I don't think we'll ever see another. 

• Love 3
On 9/19/2020 at 3:38 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I finally watched this movie and it was fine, but after it was over Mr. EB and I both said, "That was an Oscar winning movie?"

I still to this day have the same reaction to Green Book winning that year. Not that I think BoRhap should have won, but I think Green Book winning over BoRhap, Black Panther, A Star Is Born, Blackkklansman, was just like letting the air out of the hall at the end of the night. Same as when Chadwick Boseman lost in 2020. You were left with a feeling of "Huh? What just happened?"

As for a possible sequel, I really don't think that it would be a post-Freddie story. Probably a story of the band going on and dealing with his illness. Maybe some reaction immediately after his death. There was drama in that John Deacon couldn't deal with the thought of Queen without Freddy, while Brian and Roger wanted to continue. That would make some dramatic scenes for the other three (which if they go that way, I hope the four originals are back). Yeah, sequels are usually a let down, but if they are considering it, I hope they go that route, not the "let's search for a Freddy replacement on American Idol." 

• Love 1