Type keyword(s) to search

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody tonight and I loved it. I'm a huge Queen so I personally would have loved more focus on the albums/music creation portion of it. I also wanted to see them tackle Queen's decision to play South Africa when most bands were boycotting due to Apartheid.

I know the critical talk about Remi becoming Freddie and it's true since Freddie and his demons carried the movie. However, I have to gove props to the other actors. I was always a big Brian May fan and I thought the actor playing him not only looked like him but, captured his mannerisms, voice etc.

My biggest surprise and it's been touched on here but holy shit I had no idea that Roger Taylor was such manwhore. It was subtle but, the constant needling from Freddie certainly implied that Roger routinely cheated on his wife.

• Love 4
On 11/21/2018 at 9:49 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

My biggest surprise and it's been touched on here but holy shit I had no idea that Roger Taylor was such manwhore. It was subtle but, the constant needling from Freddie certainly implied that Roger routinely cheated on his wife.

Roger and his wife got married because they had kids together, but they were never monogamous.  He had a lot of relationships after they were married, and apparently theirs was an open relationship.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I really enjoyed it. Rami Malek was great as Freddie Mercury. I don't really understand why the critics hated it.

It was in competition with A Star Is Born. I, for one, thought this was much better than that movie. I like Bradley Cooper, but I can never warm up to Lady Gaga. I know everybody was praising that film, but I thought it was nothing special. It's like me with Titanic. This movie was much better and l wish the critics were generous to everyone involved in this film. Possibly a Golden Globe Award to Rami? Just a thought.

• Love 5

In the interest of fairness, I wouldn’t say the critics flat out hated the film but more so the reviews were mixed. Also the one thing they all agreed on and praised was Rami’s performance. So I would be shocked if he doesn’t get at least a Golden Globe nomination.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Roger and his wife got married because they had kids together, but they were never monogamous.  He had a lot of relationships after they were married, and apparently theirs was an open relationship.

I think I read that they actually only got married “for the kids” when their relationship was basically over.

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I think I read that they actually only got married “for the kids” when their relationship was basically over.

Yeah, he moved in with his girlfriend (with whom he would go on to have three more children) only a month after he married his first wife. My understanding is that the marriage was seen as a way to protect his oldest two kids financially (though I don't really understand how they were any more protected by their parents being married).

• Love 2

Made up or not, the scene of Freddie having just seen the doctor and walking past the guy sitting in the hallway who realizes who is walking past him and does the call out only for Freddie to stop, turn, take a beat and answer was amazing. It underscored what he said earlier about Queen being for the misfits, the odd ones in the back of the room, the 'cast offs' and that Queen was for them. In that moment, probably one of Freddie's darkest, he acknowledged this poor guy who was no doubt being overlooked and made to feel invisible and cast aside due to his disease and he let him know, I see and hear you and am with you. The way the guy just slumped his shoulders in relief and awe that he was recognized really got to me.

The other scene I loved was when Freddie visited his family with Jim. His mother and sister's subtle smiles when Freddie claimed Jim was his friend were heartwarming as was when Freddie repeated to his father what he had taught him. Dad just speechless and weeping and embracing his son was great. It was sad how as Freddie walked out the door, his father was anxious and seemed like he still had so much he wanted to say and in his heart. 

• Love 20

I went in not to familiar with Queen nor did I want to devote 2 1/2 hours of my life to a movie. And I was wrong! The movie is done beautifully; Freddie came across as a troubled but sweet soul and the soundtrack alone was worth the price of admission. After all these years I had to redo my soundtrack rankings and for the first time Purple Rain fell to number 2 which pushed all my other picks down one.  

• Love 7

The nominations keep coming. Rami got a Critics Choice Award nomination for Best Actor and this morning he got a  SAG Award nomination for Best Actor. The big surprise was the film getting a Best Ensemble nod.

I'm happy for them and think this is deserving. Because the SAG Best Ensemble nod is not about the overall film being the best - as in direction, writing, production, etc. but the collective performances of all the actors.

And I definitely think while Rami was obviously the star, the other actors all did a great job. So it's nice to see them get recognized in that way. I do think this solidifies that Rami is definitely going to at least get an Oscar nomination. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 15
On 11/6/2018 at 8:01 PM, Shannon L. said:

I loved Wayne's World and am quite embarrassed that I didn't recognize Mike Myers or put two and two together when they were talking about Bohemian Rhapsody! 

On 11/7/2018 at 2:02 PM, stonehaven said:

I will admit that the Wayne's World reference went by me until I was standing outside the theater and a woman in her late 50's was talking about the "Mark Myers" cameo..and how funny that was...I have to see this movie again!

I didn't make the connection until an hour two after the movie, and then felt so stupid for not putting it together. I'm assuming the casting director saw the script and said, "We have to get Mike Myers" for this role just so he can say this line, or they cast him and then rewrote the line for him. Either way, it's a brilliant little touch/easter egg. 

• Love 7
On 12/15/2018 at 9:36 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I didn't make the connection until an hour two after the movie, and then felt so stupid for not putting it together. I'm assuming the casting director saw the script and said, "We have to get Mike Myers" for this role just so he can say this line, or they cast him and then rewrote the line for him. Either way, it's a brilliant little touch/easter egg. 

So, as I understand it, Ray Foster wasn’t a real person, but a composite character of all the record execs and their then-attitudes about Queen. And Mike Myers, likely due to his enduring love of the band and the song, pushed for a cameo role, though I don’t know to what extent he was allowed to create the character. 

BAFTA Awards Nominations: 

Outstanding British Film (Didn't know the film was considered a British film. This is different from Best Picture which they were not nominated for)

Best Actor 

Best Cinematography

Best Editing

Best Costume Design

Best Make Up & Hair (This and costume are so deserved)

Best Sound

Not a complete surprise but snubs happen all the time (two of the biggest this morning was Timothee Chalamet not getting a Supporting Actor nod and Bradley Cooper not being nominated for Best Director).

So I was holding my breath until it was official and now it is. Rami Malek is officially an Academy Award Best Actor nominee and the film got a Best Picture nod. There are a few other technical stuff but those are of course the two biggest categories. The best part of all this is seeing the critics who were particularly harsh about the film, continue to seethe and be baffled by the success. Good times. 

eta: Here are the categories/nominations

Best Picture

“Black Panther” 

“A Star Is Born” 

“Roma”

“The Favourite”

“Vice”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“Green Book”

“BlacKkKlansman”

Best Actor

Christian Bale, “Vice”

Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”

Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book” 

Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”

Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Best Film Editing

“BlacKkKlansman”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“Green Book”

“The Favourite”

“Vice” 

Best Sound Mixing

“Black Panther”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“First Man”

“Roma”

“A Star Is Born”

Best Sound Editing

“A Quiet Place”

“Black Panther”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“First Man”

“Roma”

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

The best part of all this is seeing the critics who were particularly harsh about the film, continue to seethe and be baffled by the success. Good times. 

I love this, too, but unfortunately, I don't think it will win anything at the Oscars.  I really hope that Rami Malek wins for Best Actor, but with Christian Bale in the mix, I think the chances are slim, especially with addition of Bradley Cooper and Viggo Mortenson, who also gave very strong performances (I haven't seen "At Eternity's Gate", but William Defoe is really good, too, so my thought is that this is probably the most competitive category this year).

50 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I really hope that Rami Malek wins for Best Actor, but with Christian Bale in the mix, I think the chances are slim, especially with addition of Bradley Cooper and Viggo Mortenson, who also gave very strong performances (I haven't seen "At Eternity's Gate", but William Defoe is really good, too, so my thought is that this is probably the most competitive category this year).

Based on the Globes and the recent Critics Choice Awards, I'd say this is between Christian and Rami. This Sunday's SAG Awards should tell the tale, as SAG members make up the biggest voting body of the Academy and so whoever wins there tends to win the Oscar. If Christian wins, I'd say it's his. At the moment my gut says it will be him but honestly, I'm happy either way.

Some actors go years in their career without being able to say they're an Academy Award nominated actor. Whatever happens, Rami did what he was supposed to in this film. Gave a stellar performance that has allowed him to reach a wider audience and put his name out there in the industry in a massive way. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Any ideas one why they keep referring to Bryan Singer as the director of Bohemian Rhapsody?  I thought the guy was fired not too long after filming started.  Is it simply a way to malign a movie that the audience loved in spite of the critics' reviews?

1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Any ideas one why they keep referring to Bryan Singer as the director of Bohemian Rhapsody?  I thought the guy was fired not too long after filming started.  Is it simply a way to malign a movie that the audience loved in spite of the critics' reviews?

He actually directed 3/4 of it, which is why they had to, per Director's Guild rules, credit him as the director. I have been having many a heated argument across social media since this whole thing started. And let me just say this. 

I don't think for a second that Singer isn't guilty as fuck of these allegations. And I can honestly say that like Weinstein, Singer is someone I've been reading these rumors and comments about for years. Like dude's comeuppance is long time coming. I was sure when the Weinstein story first broke and all the sentiment started growing that he would finally, finally get his. But although his name was whispered about briefly, he just as quickly vanished from the conversation. 

So I for one have no issues and am perfectly fine with seeing Singer be dragged from here to eternity. That said, the cynic in me can't help thinking that yes, the timing of this is damn sure not a coincidence. And in my opinion, this has become less about bringing justice against Singer, the actual alleged guilty person and a damn witch hunt against an entire cast and crew of hundreds. And it is unfair. And as you said, I absolutely think this is in part because the critics and pundits all smugly declared that the movie was just okay and basically dismissed it, predicting that it would do okay at the box office but nothing special and it would most definitely not be in Awards contention. 

But that's not what happened. The movie commercially destroyed their favored child "A Star Is Born" (where were all the Little Monsters to go support Mama Monster) and it has been front and center throughout Award season, culminating in the big enchilada, the Oscar nominations. The comments and the little think pieces popped up right after the Golden Globes where everyone was left shook when they won Best Drama and again, their favored one A Star Is Born was mostly snubbed. 

Now all of a sudden, what is supposed to about this one man and his crimes and punishing him for his crimes has become all about this film and those who were a part of the film. Like I said, this has become a damn witch hunt and it is unfair. People saying, "well the rumors have been there for years so they knew when they worked on the film". Okay and that's the case for THOUSANDS of people working in Hollywood. That was the whole point of the Weinstein saga. Showing how Hollywood has long ignored rumors and allegations as long as people were making money. They're all guilty in some of way of that. But the more important fact is that when did allegations suddenly become guilty and convicted? Suddenly the second a person has negative rumors attached to them, anyone who worked with them is guilty by association?

To have GLAAD remove the movie from their Awards contention all because of the alleged actions of ONE man. I will say I was heartened to see that they were dragged in the comments with many essentially calling out the fact that they're going to punish hundreds of crew and actors for Singer's sins? That seems fair. And the judgmental assholes online running on about the Academy should do the same. Yes, let us rescind Rami Malek, who has done nothing but work his ass off as an actor, nomination because of Singer's alleged crimes. Yeah that's fair.

But the Academy wouldn't dare. Because people will scream so loud about all their shit, it wouldn't be pretty. Oh like how they awarded Roman Polanski Best Director in 2002 when he couldn't even accept in person because he's still in exile in France after jumping bail and leaving the U.S. for the RAPE he committed. It's not alleged. It's pretty much a fact it happened. And they still gave him a Best Director award. SO people can miss me with their witch hunt, faux outrage. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

Thanks, @truthaboutluv! I agree with what you said. I had a feeling it was political, I just wasn't aware that he's filmed that much of the movie.  

I feel that with Christian Bale in the mix, Rami probably isn't going to win, but if he doesn't and there's even an inkling that what you stated is why he doesn't I'm going to be pissed.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2019 at 8:40 PM, Spartan Girl said:

It sucks that the whole movie got left out of the GLAAD awards because of Singer. I mean, he deserves whatever bad thing he gets but Rami and the cast don't deserve to get besmirched.

Truth but that won't stop some from trying because like someone said, "god forbid they not try to win their "woke" points for the day". People get so dogged at times that they don't realize that they're actually hurting a cause more so than helping. Because the whole thing starts to feel like a witch hunt. That said, so far at least, it doesn't seem like the backlash is hurting Rami's Award chances. Buzzfeed did an article about that very thing - whether or not the allegations against Singer is hurting the film and Rami's award chances.

And they spoke to some industry experts and Academy voters, including a director who wanted to remain anonymous who apparently really hates Singer. And the consensus is that they all still think Rami did a great job, they feel bad for him that some are trying to unfairly attach the scandal to him and the one voter made it clear that he's still getting her vote. The anonymous director said he felt bad that Rami was going through this because just having to work with Singer was punishment enough. Again, he apparently really hates Singer. 

In any case, in positive news, Rami won the SAG for Lead Actor. Now this does edge him slightly above Christian Bale as the favorite to the win the Oscar. That said, we still have the BAFTA's to come where many think Bale will be the favorite there. And a two years ago Denzel Washington won the SAG but Casey Affleck won the BAFTA Award and then Casey won the Oscar. Of course, I still say that Denzel likely won the SAG because crazy as it is to believe, he'd never won one at that point. 

I think a more apt comparison to make here is a few years ago when the Oscar race was between Michael Keaton for Birdman and Eddie Redmayne for The Theory of Everything. Like Rami and  Christian Bale, they both won Globes that year because Keaton was in Comedy for Birdman and Redmayne in Drama. Then Michael Keaton won the Critics Choice for Best Actor, like Christian Bale did. But then Eddie Redmayne won the SAG, like Rami did. And then once Eddie won the BAFTA, it was over. So that's why I think BAFTA will be very interesting. If Christian Bale wins, then it's a toss up in my opinion, which one of them wins the Oscar. But if Rami wins, it's game over. 

On 11/6/2018 at 1:27 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I would actually love a Bay City Rollers biopic because they are VERY candid about everything and their personal dramas but they're not taken seriously enough to get a biopic treatment. David Bowie is a possibility, but Iman might be protective of his image.

Velvet Goldmine directed by Todd Haynes was heavily influenced by Bowie's glam and Ziggy-era phases, with Jonathan Rhys Meyers as the Bowie/Marc Bolan influenced glam icon and Ewan McGregor as the Lou Reed/Iggy Pop influenced character.  Bowie disliked the script and didn't give permission for any of his music to be used, and threatened to sue the filmmakers, leading to rewrites to create more distance between the Rhys Meyers character and Bowie. 

There's another film in development now about Bowie's Ziggy era music and life, but his son released a statement that the family has denied the filmmakers any permission to use Bowie's music. 

10 minutes ago, anyanka323 said:

Bowie disliked the script and didn't give permission for any of his music to be used, and threatened to sue the filmmakers, leading to rewrites to create more distance between the Rhys Meyers character and Bowie. 

There's another film in development now about Bowie's Ziggy era music and life, but his son released a statement that the family has denied the filmmakers any permission to use Bowie's music. 

Yeah, I don't think we're ever going to get a real biopic about David Bowie.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if the Bryan Singer controversy might sink Rami Malek's Oscar bid and bolster Christian Bale.

Edited by methodwriter85

Freddy Mercury was trending on Yahoo this morning, went to check it out and it's all articles about Bryan Singer, GLAAD and how the show was panned by critics.  I think you guys might be right, there's a campaign to destroy the movie before the Oscars.  Now they only thing i wonder is which Studio launched the campaign?   

• Love 1

What's the studio behind A Star is Born? My money's on them. Think about it. Back in Summer 2018, the consensus was that A Star is Born would be THE musical film of the year. It had the critical love, movie goers who saw it early were gushing, Bradley was expected to be in the running for Best Director and likely win Best Actor. And Gaga was going to cement herself as a "serious actress" when she won Best Actress. That's how this was supposed to go. 

Bohemian Rhapsody on the other hand was expected to be a hot mess. There'd been so many ups and downs in even getting the film made, then there was the saga between Singer and frankly the entire cast and crew, culminating in FOX having to fire him. And those early reviews weren't stellar, not to mention the bit of backlash of people claiming how they hetero-washed Freddie's sexuality (big eye roll here from me). 

Sure critics liked Rami's performance and just based on Queen nostalgia they figured it'd make some decent money. But it wasn't a film that would be taken seriously by voters, or so people thought. But then the film came out and was a smash hit, making millions. Then the Globes happened and people went, "WTF just happened? This was supposed to be A Star is Born's night".

And then the nominations kept coming. And meanwhile, Bradley's lock on Best Actor was looking less and less likely and then their big hopes on him being in the Best Director category on Oscar night got smashed. And now we have Bohemian Rhapsody as a Best Picture nominee (they won't win but it's the fact that they're even nominated is what has some shook) and Rami Malek is the heavy favorite to win Best Actor in a close race against Christian Bale, not Bradley Cooper. This is not how this was supposed to go. At least that's what the critics told us. And critics are never wrong, right?

I have had many a war of words on social media with those who are so naively buying into the "outrage" when I point these things out. Hell I've been called an abuser apologist - that was my favorite. Despite the fact that nowhere have I ever defended Singer and like I noted above, I don't doubt for a second he's not guilty as fuck. But people can disagree and naively believe this latest stuff is all about "justice" and righting a wrong and going after a predator all they want, but the cynic in me calls bullshit on that. 

I'll buy that when the narrative around this Singer story focuses mainly on the alleged crimes, when I see petitions to have criminal charges be brought against him, when basically HE is the focus and not one film he did, out of many others that's conveniently currently up for Awards. And more importantly when I don't see Rami Malek being damn near interrogated in interviews or in comments by people expecting him to somehow atone for something like he's the one who committed a crime. People are on social media calling Rami a jerk, saying how he colluded with Singer by simply being in the film so he's just as guilty (I kid you not), he's an enabler, etc.

This is not about Singer. This is about a bunch of snooty assholes who smugly declared the movie was mediocre, hating the fact that the voters are proving how meaningless their opinions were. It'll be interesting to see what happens at BAFTA this Sunday. Most think Bale will win just based off his being from the U.K. and being such a well respected actor. But if Rami wins, after already winning the SAG, then they can do all they want with their little hit piece articles, he's winning the Oscar.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

1. What's the studio behind A Star is Born? My money's on them. Think about it. Back in Summer 2018, the consensus was that A Star is Born would be THE musical film of the year. It had the critical love, movie goers who saw it early were gushing, Bradley was expected to be in the running for Best Director and likely win Best Actor. And Gaga was going to cement herself as a "serious actress" when she won Best Actress. That's how this was supposed to go. 

2......not to mention the bit of backlash of people claiming how they hetero-washed Freddie's sexuality (big eye roll here from me). 

3. Sure critics liked Rami's performance and just based on Queen nostalgia they figured it'd make some decent money. But it wasn't a film that would be taken seriously by voters, or so people thought. But then the film came out and was a smash hit, making millions. Then the Globes happened and people went, "WTF just happened? This was supposed to be A Star is Born's night".

4.  At least that's what the critics told us. And critics are never wrong, right?

5. This is not about Singer. This is about a bunch of snooty assholes who smugly declared the movie was mediocre, hating the fact that the voters are proving how meaningless their opinions were. It'll be interesting to see what happens at BAFTA this Sunday. Most think Bale will win just based off his being from the U.K. and being such a well respected actor. But if Rami wins, after already winning the SAG, then they can do all they want with their little hit piece articles, he's winning the Oscar.

^^Numbers added by me.

1. I really liked ASIB and am quite surprised that it hasn't won more this awards season.

2. The more I see this movie (4 times now and possibly a 5th before the Oscars.  And I will be buying the dvd when it comes out), the more I just don't get that complaint.  There was a hint of what was to come in the first trailer for God's sake!

3.  Never underestimate what nostalgia, good music and a good performance can do.

4. F*** 'em.  The way this movie was treated by the critics, the more I giggle whenever it's nominated for an award.  Even more so if it wins.  I'd stand and applaud and laugh my ass off if it won Best Picture (it won't and I don't think it really deserves to, but still, I was giddy to see it nominated.....). 

5. I still think it's going to be a close race for BAFTA.  Yes, Christian did a great performance as Cheney, but Cheney was American and it was not a happy story.  Freddie Mercury, otoh, is much loved and in spite of his unfortunate, early death, his performances bring joy to those who love Queen's music.  Like you said, nostalgia carries a lot of weight.  I've said before that I want Rami to win, but I'll understand if Christian does.  I'd happy for Bradley, too, for that matter, but that one is doubtful now.

• Love 1

So, yeah I'm sticking with my Warner Bros. theory (they're the studio behind A Star is Born). Has anyone seen this op-ed in Deadline by Sean Penn all but begging the Academy voters to award Bradley Cooper and the film and essentially acting like ASIB was one of the greatest cinematic achievements in years? I...I can't. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Rami wins again!  BAFTA.  BR also took Best Sound.  

BAFTA Awards

Yup, hard to bet against him for the Oscars but of course you never know until the envelope is opened. But this definitely feels like it's shaping up exactly like the race between Eddie Redmayne and Michael Keaton a few years ago.

Edited by truthaboutluv
5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yup, hard to bet against him for the Oscars but of course you never known until the envelope is opened. But this definitely feels like is shaping up exactly like the race between Eddie Redmayne and Michael Keaton a few years ago.

I definately think he'll end up winning it. I just love how salty people are being over Rami winning  and Bohemian Rhapsody doing well

• Love 1