Type keyword(s) to search

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Media

• Start Topic

Good! I think they'll be able to do some more interesting stuff with the later time slot.

PREVIEW: AGENTS OF SHIELD ENDS SEASON 1 ON A STRONG NOTE

On a show that often was criticized for feeling like there wasn't enough tension, the finale, "Beginning of the End", is notably exciting, which only increases as it continues. The second half is particularly fun, as many different elements converge together for a big showdown, which includes more than one crowd-pleasing face-off between characters with scores to settle.

Review: The 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season Finale Plants Marvel's Flag on The Small Screen

From the first scene, “Beginning of the End” (which has now been confirmed to not be the series finale) hits the ground running, and all the built-up tension of the last 22 episodes is released into 60 minutes of pure pay off. The best part, however? Within all that making good, the series finally stands its ground and stakes its claim as a member of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. How does one do that? By establishing world changing consequences that don’t just affect one MCU franchise, but all of them.

I'm excited!

• Love 1

And the ratings results are in .... and ...... meh

AoS was 3rd in its timeslot, with a 1.9 rating/6 share in 18-49, with approx. 5.23 million viewers (by comparison, NCIS and The Voice had over 27 million viewers combined).  That's a minor tick up from the ratings report from last Wed. (1.8 rating/6 share/5.08 million) before any adjustments.  I'll be curious to see what the adjustment there is (if any), because on first look, it appears the promise of Nick Fury didn't get the boost they likely expected (of course, people probably realized they had to deal with Skye and decided Fury's participation wasn't enough to offset the suck that is Skye).

(of course, people probably realized they had to deal with Skye and decided Fury's participation wasn't enough to offset the suck that is Skye).

Skye is well-liked pretty much everywhere but at TWoP, so I doubt the possibility of the finale including some Skye-related material turned many viewers away. Even at TWoP, I'm not seeing the intense Skye hatred that I used to.

• Love 3

Sorta off-topic, @Mz Anthrope, but that's okay. The TWoP forums are still up until the end of the month, and then they'll disappear. Some people are sticking around til the very end. I'm also seeing a lot of cross-posting between there and here, which can be confusing -- I'm like, "Didn't I already read this post?" It's extra confusing when the post is slightly different on each forum!

• Love 2

Skye is well-liked pretty much everywhere but at TWoP, so I doubt the possibility of the finale including some Skye-related material turned many viewers away. Even at TWoP, I'm not seeing the intense Skye hatred that I used to.

I thought Skye wasn't loved in the media/review crowd, but I'm not sure where I got that thought. In my mind I read stuff, but since I can't recall exactly I may just be crazy. I don't hate Skye, that's more effort than she's worth, I just don't like her & she bores me.

And the cross posting makes me a bit batty too, although I only see the people noting that they're cross posting. Once the closure was announced & I found this place I moved here & didn't go back. Yea for PTV!

Everything I've read has found Skye plenty annoying, at least until the Post-Winter Soldier upswing.

I pretty much agree with the AV Club review. Though it's weird that they review seasons right before the finale airs.

I also have to interject that for people like myself who don't have a problem with Skye, the hatred at TWOP was so strong that it was somewhat intimidating to post. There was quite possibly a very vocal minority of people who strongly disliked Skye who posted there. 

I personally love the show and the cast.  I'm looking forward to see where it goes from here and hope they keep going in the strong direction that the second half of last season pointed towards. 

• Love 3

I regularly read reviews from over half-a-dozen sites.  Skye was generally in the series' debit column.  At the end of the season, people seemed on board with her as a team member but would prefer a wrap-up of the mystery of her origins already.

I disliked Skye for a while because of the whole Mary Sue Special Snowflake aspect of her characterization. Skye/Chloe's acting really won me over in her scenes with Ward. I literally cheered out loud for the words coming out of Skye's mouth. I'm still intrigued by her backstory (personal theory - Inhuman). So she doesn't actively repel me like earlier but her character really suffers with crappy writing.

Where's Tripp?

That does not bode well for Tripp hanging around long in Season 2.

I like that Skye is pushed far into the background with Ward (is it possible to put her even further back), and May is towards the foreground.

• Love 1
(edited)

The SDCC poster that they're going to have at the Marvel booth. 

If you look closely at Fitz and Simmons their body positioning and clothing (what can be seen of it among the shading) is almost exactly the same to the promo image from last year.  The only difference is that Fitz is looking off to the distance (not at Simmons), while Simmons is looking up at Fitz (not at the camera).  It seems strangely purposeful and I kind of love it. 

ETA: Someone on tumblr blew up the image of FitzSimmons.

Edited by HistoryGirl

Chicago Redshirt, I love Lucy Lawless, and I've really wanted the Contessa to show up, but I don't know that I picture Lawless in the role. I'd see her as a better fit for Abigail Brand. And as much as I long to see Val, I only want it to happen if Fury can be in the picture.

• Love 1

Pretty much if LL's any role this side of G.W. Bridge, I'm down with it. 

Never watched Xena, but she's been good in everything I've seen her in, which is to say BSG, Spartacus and she even brought some life to the often sucky No Ordinary Family. 

• Love 1

I've seen some spec on the interwebs that LL could be Fitz's mom.  Aside from the fact that she's obviously not Scottish, it's a fair guess.  Perhaps she works for some organization like Momma May does? 

(edited)

Yiiks, Do all fantasy shows have to be turned into family soap operas now, is that what people wish to see? Nothing against parents, siblings, kids, they are important in people's lifes, but so are work relations and friends. Sometimes I am glad, that even though I might think these are not the best writers in the universe, they are still the ones writing the show, and not some fans.

Edited by katusch
  • Love 1

It's too bad Arrow won't free up Caity Lotz, I could see her as Mockingbird, plus she already knows how to use the battle staves that turn into a staff.

Uhhh, now I'm sad. She'd be fantastic as Bobbi!

Casting news. Why in the hell are they adding another white guy to the cast? Where are the POC?

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-simon-kassianides-cast/

Well, there are a number of them already on the show, or at least there were in S1, but I don't know how much (if at all) we'll see Trip or Peterson in the coming season.  Obviously Skye and May aren't going anywhere, but it's possible that the show will be a bit "whiter" next season.  Do we know if May's mother will appear this season?  Or for that matter, Nick Fury?  (Guessing they'd keep the last one under wraps.)

(edited)

Casting news. Why in the hell are they adding another white guy to the cast? Where are the POC?

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-simon-kassianides-cast/

It sounds to me like he's going to be a villain of the week.  I tried to google "Bakshi" to see if it was a Marvel character and what came up was that it was a honorific title or a last name.  From the wiki entry, it looks to be typically either an Arabic or Indian name, so perhaps the actor will be playing a character who is a minority.  Are we even certain that the actor is a "white guy"? His IMDB profile just says that he's British.

Edited by HistoryGirl

I actually think AoS is a pretty diverse show though, the main cast being Coulson, Ward, Skye, and Fitz-Simmons, (from Season 1 and odds are you're removing Ward and replacing him with Triplett) plus you have Peterson and Triplett being default members of the team. So out of 7 people we have 4 who are people of color. Even without Peterson and Triplett you're still 3/2 for the main cast. I mean obviously the more diversity the better but I think of all the network shows AoS does pretty well ratio wise. 

I actually think AoS is a pretty diverse show though, the main cast being Coulson, Ward, Skye, and Fitz-Simmons, (from Season 1 and odds are you're removing Ward and replacing him with Triplett) plus you have Peterson and Triplett being default members of the team. So out of 7 people we have 4 who are people of color. Even without Peterson and Triplett you're still 3/2 for the main cast. I mean obviously the more diversity the better but I think of all the network shows AoS does pretty well ratio wise. 

Don't forget May, or did I miss something?

Nope @jah1986, I did! I mean I was counting her with my numbers but I forgot to type her name! Doh! This is why I shouldn't post while on benadryl apparently. So, Main Cast = May, Coulson, Skye, Fitz-Simmons, Ward (but probably swapping Ward for Triplett in S2) plus Peterson and Triplett in the back half of S1 as defacto main cast. So, for 8 people that's 4 who are people of color, then if you remove Triplett and Peterson you've got 4/2 ratio. Sorry I'm bad at counting! 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not sure they're swapping Ward for Tripplett, per se. Isn't he still just recurring? He may fill Ward's former role on the team for some time, though. And personally, I find him completely characterization-free. The most interesting thing about him is his relationship with Garrett (and maybe Ward, too... he's basically Ward's good counterpart), but I doubt it's going to be explored. The flirtation with Simmons is kinda meh, way too shallow.

Edited by FurryFury

At ComicCon Tancheron/Whedon basically indicated that Trip wouldn't be a regular. They said things like "we'd love to have him back" which says to me that he's more recurring rather than a permanent fixture.  Meanwhile they've given every indication that Ward is a regular, despite presumably being locked up. 

He is a white guy. Along with Reed Diamond and Nick Blood they are the new members of the cast other than Lucy Lawless. All of whom are white. I still stand by my statement above that this is ridiculous beyond all measure considering that this show is supposed to encompass the entire globe.

• Love 2

Most of them are guest cast, aren't they? I'm sure there will be other people of color guesting -- I felt that the show did a good job of that last year. Raina, Akela Amador, Chan Ho Yin, Mike Peterson, and Triplett were all featured heavily in at least one episode each, Nick Fury appeared a couple of times, and I know there were more POC than just those people. The main cast is, as Lisin mentioned, pretty diverse, too. I definitely don't think of AoS as a whitewashed show.

• Love 2

They are better than Once Upon a Time for sure but it is sad that all the new cast announcements are white actors. I do commend them for having Ming Na Wen as the co lead along with Clark Gregg.

• Love 1
I still stand by my statement above that this is ridiculous beyond all measure considering that this show is supposed to encompass the entire globe.

They'll be non-white characters but there's a good chance they'll be either villains or victims.

Considering this is a Disney owned corporation and screened on ABC it's hard to believe that the showrunners would be that openminded or willing to go the extra mile? You can only be so edgy at a limit, even though I agree at 9'oclock they should push themselves. But since this is based on comic universe that has mostly white characters they're not going to stray far from the path. Diversity is not on the menu.

They said things like "we'd love to have him back" which says to me that he's more recurring rather than a permanent fixture.  Meanwhile they've given every indication that Ward is a regular, despite presumably being locked up.

Maybe they'll keep him under lock and key trying to get him to reveal any Hydra info and then realize he was just a victim (who killed a lot of people) and they should give him another chance... and I'm going to puke.

Maybe they'll keep him under lock and key trying to get him to reveal any Hydra info and then realize he was just a victim (who killed a lot of people) and they should give him another chance... and I'm going to puke.

You'll be happy to know that Tancheron said something like "We discovered that people really really like Evil Ward".  So I'm not convinced his redemption arc is coming any time soon. He may be the new Hydra kingpin. 

Edited by HistoryGirl
  • Love 3