Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E16: Top 7- Prince Night

• Start Topic

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

I knew it was inevitable Jurnee would go this week before she even performed, but I was really hoping Caleb or Cade would join her. I would've rather seen Michael or Gabby out before Catie though. At least Maddie made it one more week. If I had to guess, the top 3 will be Caleb, Cade, and Gabby, which'll save me the bother of caring who wins because I don't like any of those three.

Edited by TheGreenKnight

It irritates me to no end the amount of sunshine these three knucklehead judges blow up these kids asses every week.

MIchael totally messed up the words to the Prince song and nothing is said about it at all.   What I wouldn't give for Randy Jackson to pop up and say, "it was just a'ight for me, dawg."

I loved that version of When Doves Fly.  Wondering if that was actually Calebs arrangement or if someone else cut that before?

Gabby was on fire tonight with that second song.  She really is very comfortable on stage.

(edited)

Well, Catie blew the opening for her Prince song....and they did call her on it....rightly so.  But they did point out that it happens to every performer.

Glad Maddie is still in it...her songs tonight showed her true versatility.

I was impressed with Caleb's version of When Doves Cry.

Edited by sinycalone
Just now, chuckity said:

It irritates me to no end the amount of sunshine these three knucklehead judges blow up these kids asses every week.

MIchael totally messed up the words to the Prince song and nothing is said about it at all.   What I wouldn't give for Randy Jackson to pop up and say, "it was just a'ight for me, dawg."

Agreed. There really wasn't much in the way of standout performances tonight, most of them sounded off or didn't quite bring the punch to the songs that was needed (and that was an...interesting...version of "Who Will Save Your Soul?" that Cade did...). Caleb and Maddie were probably the strongest tonight, though Caleb's pick of "Amazed" was pretty predictable. 

(Regarding the '90s/'00s songs, finding out these kids were born the year they came out made me feel old :p.)

Cade did "Who Will Save Your Soul" like it was "Black Hole Sun."

I'm glad Catie went home on a night she screwed up. If this wasn't a marathon voting show, she'd have been gone for sure, and rightfully so. Glad the marathon voters thought so, too. Yes, all performers screw up, but to me, she didn't deserve to advance over more competent performers. Her voice wasn't that good.

Not to mention her cruise ship performance of "Oops, I Did it Again."

Glad to see Catie go. I wasn’t the biggest Journee fan either so I’m fine with her departure.

The birth year songs made me feel ancient!

I love Caleb and Maddie. Not a fan of Cade. Michael and Gabby are ok.

2 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

Well, Catie blew the opening for her Prince song....and they did call her on it....rightly so.  But they did point it out it happens to every performer.

Glad Maddie is still in it...her songs tonight showed her true versatility.

Here's what I think is lacking when we have artists instead of A&R people as judges:  these performers have fucked up a time or three and want to sooth the tender artists soul.  The A&R guy (like Simon) is like your boss - he doesn't give a crap if other people mess up - YOU are his concern and you'd better not fuck up on his dime.  

I hate what AI has become ... and yet, I still watch.  I'm actually the real asshole in this whole mess.  

17 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Cade did "Who Will Save Your Soul" like it was "Black Hole Sun."

LOL; that was terrible. And 'Jungle Love' was everything I expected (ridiculous).

Glad fake-ass Catie is gone. She was also terrible on both her songs, but what killed her for me was that whole cringe worthy sequence with Nick Jonas, good lord.

Jurnee just wasn't ready for this-wrong songs, and very nervous. 

So glad Michael survived one (I suspect) last time. His song choices sucked too. Next week being Carrie's songbook should work for him, but I think it's clear the show is going for yet another country duo plus one (probably Maddie or-ugh-Mr. Grunty).

As beautiful as Jurnee is and as good as her voice is, she is like a cold fish. When she smiles while singing, the smile stops before it gets to her eyes. Whether it is stage fright, shyness or something else, she never really seemed to be comfortable on the stage.

3 hours ago, chuckity said:

Or Simon "I've seen a better performance at a kareoke bar"

1 minute ago, SnarkAttack said:

Anyone else notice that Maddie wasn't backstage several times when the camera was there; wonder where she went.

Maybe puking, LOL...she did describe feeling a little sick while singing due to nerves.

4 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

As beautiful as Jurnee is and as good as her voice is, she is like a cold fish. When she smiles while singing, the smile stops before it gets to her eyes. Whether it is stage fright, shyness or something else, she never really seemed to be comfortable on the stage.

You just described how I felt when Carrie Underwood was on the show.  

I feel for Carrie, her "It Factor" developed later than most.  

10 minutes ago, SnarkAttack said:

Anyone else notice that Maddie wasn't backstage several times when the camera was there; wonder where she went.

I thought she had disappeared for a costume change or in the restroom.

14 minutes ago, RandomWatcher said:

Catie was acting as though she knew she wasn't going to be picked 

She has acted like that almost every week allowing her to fake shock when she made it.

So fake.

13 minutes ago, chuckity said:

You just described how I felt when Carrie Underwood was on the show.  

I feel for Carrie, her "It Factor" developed later than most.  

It is so weird you would say that. While watching the Carrie Underwood video, I was thinking, “she was another cold fish”, LOL

(edited)

Well, since tonight Catie was booted, her worry wasn't fake, was it? But that scene with Nick Jonas? Oy.

So tonight had a slew of downer songs for me (for you, tm Randy J.): Ship sinking; doves crying; you don't call me even though I would die 4 U, because nothing compares 2 U, not even spelling. :-P

I predict a singer with blonde/blond hair will win.  ;-)

Edited by LennieBriscoe

God, Catie really bombed both songs tonight. Even without messing up the lyrics, she was just terrible. I was expecting, like all the other weeks, that she would schlump her way through the mentoring session awkwardly (check) but then blast one out of the park with a surprisingly lovely vocal. Not this time. Wow. And her wardrobe was just awful for both songs.she really needed Stacey and Clinton from What Not to Wear tonight.

After Catie picked up again on the Valentino line, I actually really liked her Manic Monday.  I liked her and am sad to see her go.

The tour has some weird stops this year.

13 minutes ago, deaja said:

She has acted like that almost every week allowing her to fake shock when she made it.

So fake.

She comes from the Taylor Swift school of relatability. Pretend to be shocked when you win something, freak out over every celebrity you meet, stay engaged on social media... Your fans will see you as a friend and contemporary who's just like them and get more invested in your success. Of course, Catie actually IS a teenage girl, so she's moderately more believable.

1 hour ago, incandescent said:

They had me on the edge of my seat for my Michael!

Me too!  I love him, and was drawn to him from the beginning.  Even when he's not perfect, there's something about him that seems special.  I thought "My Heart Will Go On" tonight was exquisite.  I nearly cried when his name was called last.  Team Michael all the way!  :-)

47 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

Yes, I agree.  Looking at her and listening to her voice, it seems like she is the whole package and should have been a front runner in the competition.  But there is something missing.   There is some element that should be there... that is not there.    She is not connecting to and feeling the words and the music, I suppose.

It's kind of a similar thing with some actors or actresses.  You know how some actors are extremely good looking, and some actresses are extremely beautiful and talented too, and no one would disagree -- but there is just something about them that doesn't do it for you?   On the surface, just from a superficial standpoint, they look great and are good performers, but they are just not sexy or intriguing, for some reason.  Maybe they are lacking in charisma.

With some singers, it's a lack of soul, a lack of passion, a lack of emotion, or something like that which is missing, and maybe a lack of stage presence as well.

I thought the same thing about Carrie Underwood when she first broke onto the scene -- she is very pretty and has a nice voice... and is just boring and lacking passion. Not very interesting at all.  Not very charismatic. 

14 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

Yes, I agree.  Looking at her and listening to her voice, it seems like she is the whole package and should have been a front runner in the competition.  But there is something missing.   There is some element that should be there... that is not there.    She is not connecting to and feeling the words and the music, I suppose.

I'm agree re: Jurnee. This may be simplistic but I think it's just maturity, more life experience etc.. I have to remind myself she's only19. She's certainly mature in some ways. Married. military spouse etc. But 19 is young. It'll come. Actually I think that it's there, depth,  but the maturity comes in how to let it out. She's still very controlled.

I just want to say how much I love Maddies voice. One week she's kinda Patsy Cline, the next kind of Angela McClusky (not familiar? Look her up!) But still very distinctly her. 

I'm happy with the Top 5.

It's unbelievable Cade is still here - one of the worse singers.  I have seen zero growth in him.  And there is nothing original about him.  It's ridiculous the judges are over pimping him as this Rock God.  He's nothing more than a poor version of Caleb Johnson - and Caleb could actually sing.

Regarding Jurnee I agree she wasn't connecting. If you put her against Maddie and Gabby it's easy to see the difference. They are always smiling and really seem to enjoy performing. Their passion, playfulness, and sass make them easier to relate to. Jurnee almost came across as if performing was a job she had to get done but with no real desire to do it. Maybe she will loosen up more when she is in front of a live crowd. But she was singing in front of live audiences the last few performances so I don't know.

(edited)
39 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

It's unbelievable Cade is still here - one of the worse singers.  I have seen zero growth in him.  And there is nothing original about him.  It's ridiculous the judges are over pimping him as this Rock God.  He's nothing more than a poor version of Caleb Johnson - and Caleb could actually sing.

Caleb Johnson always seemed to be more of a metal guy than a classic or Southern rock guy, so his big voice lent itself well to big, booming, loud songs. 

I definitely think that Cade is taking steps backward instead of forward, and he is in no way, shape or form ready to win the competition.   He started out much stronger in the earlier stages of the competition, but his voice is not seasoned or strong enough to go the distance.   He needs more practice, I think. 

Cade could also stand to develop a bit more swagger.   I know that ladies are taking a liking to him and his seemingly humble ways, but I think that a couple of years on a tour bus, with a band, would give him an edge that he doesn't quite have yet.

I am someone who is a big rock fan -- I love various kinds of rock, and certainly classic rock included -- and I can say that while Cade might not seem original if you compare him to musicians of the 1970s and 1980s, he is pretty unique for today's musical landscape.  There are not many popular newer artists who fit into his kind of genre in 2018.  The trouble is that he has the makings of a decent artist, but is not a well-rounded enough solo performer yet.   Cade would, however, probably be great as a guitarist and back-up vocalist in a rock band (not metal, not grunge, not punk, not alternative -- just something that is as close to what classic rock used to be as possible, or maybe Southern rock).   

Rock singers don't even have to have great voices to stand out and be solid artists.   Many rock musicians have voices that some people would even classify as "bad" -- but they have learned to use their voices to the best of their ability and make the most of them, choosing songs that fit as well as developing their songwriting and stage presence.  Cade has not learned to use his voice in the best way yet.

Edited by TVFan17

Just a few off-hand remarks!

1. I kinda' wish they had just done a top 3 because I cannot stand Gabby or Cade so let's get rid of the deadwood now! (I know that everyone seems to love Gabby but she does nothing for me..actually kinda' really tired of the bleached blonde country singer look. My son(who in a million years would not watch AI) was talking with me about singers with accents(fake or real) and many have mentioned Gabby's fake one in comments here. My first thought was "heck, Pittsburgh is really close to West Virginia where everyone has a Southern accent! And my son said that he has heard that between Pittsburgh on the west and Philadelphia on the east, Alabama lies in the middle...rednecks and all! So maybe she comes by it naturally.

2. If I never hear My Heart Will Go On or Let it Go again, it will be too soon. I cringed when Michael sang it even if was an OK version.

3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

The tour has some weird stops this year.

You aren't kidding...not a single stop in Florida where there are usually 3 or 4 stops. And California is loaded with them albeit some are kinda' strange locations...Livermore, CA which is a good distance from San Francisco, will people travel that far? I did have to laugh when I saw there was a stop in Deadwood, SD....I had already written my first sentence so I thought that was an apropos stop for this group! Wonder how popular this tour will be? Which year was it they had to cancel stops because of lack of attendance?

I keep asking myself, why am I still watching?

(edited)

Nice summary of Cade @TVFan17. I agree with your assessment that he isn't ready to win American Idol. I think it's possible he could have a career if a producer wanted to capitalize on his popularity and guide him until he's ready. Watching his You Tube channel I see he is more versatile than what's been shown on AI. I thought he was good playing piano and singing ballads. I was hoping he would show that side of him on AI but we still might see it yet. 

I honestly expect him to go home next week though. He's had a nice run but the remaining 4 are better than him and I don't think he needs to take any of their spots. I wouldn't be mad if he made it next week but I don't think it would be fair. Unless he has an awesome night and someone else bombs badly. I don't see that happening though. 

Edited by yorklee2

I thought Maddie was the best of the night. Some of the others were alright, but not great.

I think Caleb, Cade, and Michael are all overrated. They are just average singers to me. Cade is great on the guitar though. I have liked Michael before, but I thought he was terrible tonight.

Catie had a bad night too. I thought she was going to be safe though.

I thought Maddie was the best of the night.

Absolutely. She sung both of her songs well and I think she's been the most consistent throughout the show. She's the best of the remaining five and really hope/expect her to win.

Maddie's Nothing Compares 2 U was the outstanding performance of the night.  On a whole different level than everything else.

Not that there weren't some other good performances.  Gabby was much better than in recent weeks and Caleb's take on When Doves Cry was the first time I enjoyed one of his performances this entire season.  Maddie's Sheryl Crow cover and Jurnee's first song were also pretty good.  Cade's Jungle Love was fun, even if it also highlighted his vocal limitations.

Michael was the biggest disappointment.  Tonight he was kind of the exact opposite of Jurnee - great stage presence and charisma, but very weak vocals.  I think I would actually have preferred Jurnee to stay in the competition instead of him because I think she has greater potential over the long run once she gains more experience performing.  She just needs to learn to lose that deer in the headlights look she gets when the nerves take over.

(edited)

Does it go now to one eliminated per week or are two more eliminated next week to get the final three?

I think the top 5 will go as follows bottom to top:

Cade, Michael, Gabby/Caleb or vice versa with the final two being Caleb/Maddie or Gabby/Maddie. The winner will be Maddie. 

I can't decide how second and third place will fall. Caleb and Gabby are both good and both have large fan bases I'm sure. Could go either way. Of course that's just my opinion. I totally expect there could be some surprises.

Edited by yorklee2

My whole problem with last night's show is that there is NO WAY Prince would have cleared his songs for AI while he was alive. I was surprised Sheila E went along with this. 

I said to my sister when it started that Maddie would probably go with something like Nothing Compares or Manic Monday.  I couldn't think of another song that would fit her lane - glad she went with Nothing Compares 2 U.  It was my fave of the night.  I also noticed that she wasn't backstage with the others for a few of the live hits and then when she reappeared, she was way off to the side. I thought it was shenanigans by the show so people would forget she was there and not vote for her.  I wouldn't put anything past these producers.  I was definitely excited that she made it to the Top 5. I'd be surprised if Caleb or Gabby didn't win though. America loves their country artists. 

Everyone is right re: Jurnee not connecting.  During Kiss, I just thought she was okay - there was just something missing.  

I loved Cade early in this show but the longer he is on, the more I see/hear that his voice needs a lot of work.  I'm ready for him to go.  

Which brings me to these judges. Can they please replace all 3 of them before next season?  They gush over everyone.  They even managed to spin Catie's eff up into something positive.  The more they blather on, the more I miss Simon Cowell.  Luke Bryan is the most useless of the bunch. He makes me miss Keith Urban.

I'm probably just a purist when it comes to Prince and his songs but I didn't really like Caleb's When Doves Cry.  I just want this show to leave Prince alone from now on.

23 minutes ago, radiochik said:

Which brings me to these judges. Can they please replace all 3 of them before next season?

Sorry for the bad news, but all three are coming back next season.   I figured Katy's salary would deter them from hiring her back, but they must love her antics.

I liked Katy Perry until I watched her as a judge.  Fawning over the young guys and making her sexual innuendos takes away from any valid advice she might give. And Luke has no clue what to do....

Jurnee - Kiss - interesting song choice, good performance 

Gabby - I Hope You Dance - decent vocals, not nearly excited as the judges or Nick Jonas

Michael J - I Would Die For U - not familiar with this song but I though he did well 

Why does Nick Jonas have holes in his shirt? He’s already said “special moment” twice  

Cade - Who Will Save Your Soul - I really liked this, I thought he did a lot with this song. 

Catie - Oops I Did it Again - super annoying with Nick Jonas, weird song choice, not loving this, I don’t think she knows what type of music she wants to do

Caleb - Amazed - Loved this, I liked that he was off the guitar tonight  

Maddie - Nothing Compares to You - very good, I think she gets better each week which is what you want to do in a reality competition 

Michael J - My Heart Goes On - Wow. He made it his own. Fave of the night so far. I agree with Katy, he could win Oscar, Grammy, and I’ll add a Tony award. And he’s also getting better each week.

Tour News: Catie annoying again, is she wearing thin?

Cade - Jungle Love - normal Cade, loved the Sheila E spotlight and guitar break, seems comfortable and in his wheelhouse, omg Katie is so useless sometimes  

Gabby - How Come You Don’t Call Me Anymore - another good performance, she probably could’ve pulled off Purple Rain and really brought the house down 

Jurnee - Back at One - She’s definitely trying to bring the sexy tonight, she’s got a good voice, I’m just not moved, I think she lacks the stage presence of Michael or Gabby, or the uniqueness of Maddie 

Catie - Manic Monday - wow, she forgot the lyrics...umm, this is bad, she’s better than this, oh she changed her mind...maybe she should’ve kept her guitar, she overthought that performance 

Maddie - If it Makes You Happy - good song choice, she has a lot of versatility 

Caleb - When Doves Cry - good, not sure it lived up to Ryan’s hype but showcased him well

Carrie night next week: Gabby must be over the moon

Results: the right top five went through, Jurnee is boring and Catie did herself no favors forgetting the lyrics. 

First of all...

30 minutes ago, radiochik said:

My whole problem with last night's show is that there is NO WAY Prince would have cleared his songs for AI while he was alive. I was surprised Sheila E went along with this. 

I told my husband this as soon as Ryan said it was the first singing show to be cleared of Prince's entire catalog. Now here is my question about that very thing - why on God's Green Earth did they choose the Prince songs they did? The only one I recognized was "When Doves Cry". And I had no idea Prince wrote "Jungle Love". I was looking forward to tonight because I thought we were going to get his top hits. With the one exception, they were all songs you'd really only know if you were a super-fan or at very least, listened to pop radio stations (which I haven't since I was about 12). 

Also...

Whoever was dressing Catie - and being a fluffy girl myself I feel I can say this without being mean - they dressed her in either too tight clothing (the pantsuit, which would have been flattering if the legs had not been so tight) or in stuff that cinched in right under her boobs to accent her belly and make her look like something Mama Cass would have worn in the 60's/70's with the Mamas & Papas. 

As much as I like rock, Cade really doesn't sing very well - he doesn't enunciate well. And whoever wrote above that he needs some swagger - this times 100!

Gabby - blonde Carrie-Underwood Wannabe - Yes, she can sing, but she also changes voices multiple times throughout the songs. She will have that fake twang that they warned her about at her auditions (and after) yet she continues to do it. Then she'll get a lilt to her voice kind of like Dolly Parton, which is beautiful but it's not consistent either and then finally the Miranda Lambert belting and growling. AND ALL IN THE SAME SONG! And if you're going to be going white-platinum blonde, for the love of God, bleach your eyebrows to a lighter shade so it looks a bit (a very small bit) natural.

Maddie - think she is very talented but don't know where she'd fit in on a radio station. Not country. Not rock. Not even pop. For the most part, folk and nobody is playing folk these days.

Jurnee - like everyone else has said - she had a beautiful voice, a beautiful face, "the look" yet like yet someone else said - "when she smiles, it never makes it to her eyes" - she just looks shell-shocked or 

Michael - sweetest person on earth but most boring voice/song choices I could ever imagine. I just don't like the style of music he has sung, nor do I like the boring style in which he sings. The only song of his I remember was the one he sang last night from Titanic and I only remember it because it was just awful in my opinion. (Again, most of that is because I just find that kind of music boring.)

Caleb - He is my favorite, but I wish he'd take more chances with his voice. Someone upthread said his song choice for the year he was born "Amazed" was predictable and I agree. It didn't give him any chance to show his range at all. Not many of his songs do and they need to. 

And last thing - I absolutely HATE the way they clip songs to make time. It was very obvious in Caleb's song Amazed. Sometimes they clip them to the point that they don't even make sense anymore. 

All this being said, my favorite to win is Caleb.

5 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Wonder how popular this tour will be? Which year was it they had to cancel stops because of lack of attendance?

I want to say Season 12, but I could be wrong because I tend to blame Season 12 for everything.  The tour has 2 stops in New England, both in Massachusetts: Lynn, a Boston suburb probably best known as the home of Marshmallow Fluff, and New Bedford, which is... vaguely convenient to Providence.