Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: A Surprise in the Truck

A few special guests bring many design surprises to this heartfelt and humorous episode; a couple of DIY design enthusiasts trade spaces with their neighbors and friends, a family whose toddler overcame cancer.

I loved both rooms.  Right now, the only designers I’d want in my house are Ty, Nate, or Jeremiah.  I would have never thought about painting trim a very dark color, but it looked great.  The fireplace looked awesome as did that built in unit.  I felt both homeowners got something worthwhile having in those items.

i like Frank, and it was fun to see him, but I didn’t see the point of his appearance.   He should serve as a substitute host from time to time, because he’d be great at that.

• Love 15

Yeah the Frank thing didn’t work well. I felt discomfort between him and Nate and I just don’t think it worked well. I liked Jeremiah’s room best. I find his work more interesting than Nate’s in general. 

• Love 7

Nice change of pace for this show - the designer asks what the homeowner would want, and then tries to create that.   Someone needs to make Hildi watch the episode on auto-loop until she grasps this concept.  I haven't seen Nate and Jeremiah's show, but they seem to have good taste.

Also, Jeremiah really does have nice hair.

I didn't realize that Frank had been one of the designers on the premiere episode of Trading Spaces, but when he started in with the cushion-making it was like the first season all over again.

• Love 8

I really liked the rooms, loved the wall unit and the front of the one house where they recreated the picture, I love that porch.  I didn't hear the explanation of why Frank was there, he obviously wasn't a designer was he just there to guide them or just as an extra set of eyes?  I am wondering if they won't bring him back as a designer since his designs were always so....dated....he is one of the few ones I don't think would translate well for the newer generation.....

• Love 4

Gee, how convenient that the guest designers each found exactly what they needed in their homeowners' garage/yard, letting them stay within budget.

I'm not familiar with them (I've just seen the commercials for their show during new episodes of this one), but they seem like nice guys.  I don't have a single neutral wall in my home, so the rooms aren't my style, but they were pulled together well and suited the homeowners.

Frank's guest appearance was pointless, but seeing the designers' style, I'm sure they were glad he was just there to fetch paint and drink champagne, rather than ruin their rooms with his style.

Another episode with two successful rooms and happy people.  Looks like that short-lived trend will die a fiery death next episode.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Another episode with two successful rooms and happy people.  Looks like that short-lived trend will die a fiery death next episode.

I'm a little frightened about next week. 

I really liked Jeremiah's room. And I thought the wall built-ins looked nice in Nate's room. 

• Love 6

I loved Jeremiah's room.  Absolutely loved.  It looked different and worked in the "sore spot" of the room perfectly.  I was disappointed in Nate's room.  It looked nice but it didn't feel like a big change even though they did get the built in.  But disappointed doesn't mean I didn't like it and I don't think the homeowners are going to change it.  But again, Jeremiah's?  Almost a dream room for me.

I started watching Nate and Jeremiah By Design recently and so far every episode has had a budget of about $75,000.  I think Jeremiah adopted more easily to the lower budget than Nate which is why there were more changes. 

5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Gee, how convenient that the guest designers each found exactly what they needed in their homeowners' garage/yard, letting them stay within budget.

Yeah.  I had to roll my eyes at that.  Oh look here's something high quality/high budget that they were just letting lounge in their garage.  If I were a home owner in the future, I'd try to game the system this way.

• Love 9

Was Frank just in the area and wanted to hang out? Found this interview with Frank: Frank talking about returning.

15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't have a single neutral wall in my home,

I think I'd like your home! In a fit of stress I painted my living room tan this winter (I thought it would calm me down). I am 100% sure it's not staying long!

I liked the fireplace more than I thought I would, mainly because the window looked so nice with it. I didn't like the look of the dark paint around their doors.

In Nate's all I could think of was what a pain in the neck it will be to dust those shelves and nic-nacs. But it's what they wanted, so okay. 

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

13 minutes ago, Box305 said:

I'm a little frightened about next week.

I didn't get to watch this episode yet and am waiting for the late rerun. Is next week another Doug/Hildi episode? 

I did notice that the episode went over the usual hour and when it terms later it will only be an hour as usual. What happened?

Edited by LexieLily

I really liked Jeremiah’s room.  We have a 1912 Craftsman and I WOULD NEVER allow a drop of paint on any of the woodwork, but I liked the dark trim.  I think they gave them a pass on the stuff in the garage because of the backstory with the baby.  I hope those are LEDs in the jute baskets...I’m probably being overly nervous but I’m always concerned about fire hazards with DIY lighting.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, ElleryAnne said:

I haven't seen Nate and Jeremiah's show, but they seem to have good taste.

I'd seen it once or twice in the past while channel surfing, and I've been watching the past few weeks because they're on after Trading Spaces. While I've seen them do things I wouldn't necessarily choose for myself, I can't say I've seen them do anything that I actually hated. (They did a kitchen a couple weeks ago that I loved and am sad I can't have for myself.) I would absolutely trust them to do my house (especially since they go over the plans with the homeowners before kicking them out for the duration). If only I had 75 grand to throw into it... (which seems to be everyone's budget, which is starting to make me wonder). 

(And their daughter is totally adorable.)

I liked that Jeremiah repurposed the Nate Berkus curtains they already had in the room. That was a cute touch.

And now they're rerunning the first episode with Hildi's deconstructed penguin monstrosity. I think I'll go read. ;)

• Love 4

I love Jeremiah's room so much. The fireplace...brilliant. 

I didn't love Nate's as much, although I do find myself thinking how much I would enjoy a shoulder squeeze the way he squeezed Paige's.  Random and weird, I know. 

Edited by guilfoyleatpp
  • Love 4

I liked both rooms but I did wonder what they did with the piano.  That isn't the kind of thing you can just find a corner for in another room or stick in the garage.  

I also wondered what the point was of having Frank there.  He didn't seem to serve any purpose at all and the bit with the champagne was odd.

I think the homeowners are told what they should pick at the pop up store.  Every one of them so far has decided on just the right accent item without doing any "shopping" at all.  Most if not all people would walk around and look at the selection before making a decision.  One of the women tonight chose just the right throw in just the right colors from across the room with barely a glance at the rest of the stuff.

I liked both couples so I was glad they were happy with their rooms.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, mlp said:

I liked both rooms but I did wonder what they did with the piano.

I forgot about that! They didn't even show a discussion that it was okay to move because they never played, or were going to sell it anyway, or something.

• Love 2

I didn’t notice Frank help Jeremiah just Nate.  I must have missed it.  Seems his purpose was to be a guide behind the scenes for them both.  

I haven’t seen a preview so I don’t know who is on next week.  Can someone say more about that please?  There isn’t a thread for it. 

I loved both rooms.  In Jeremiah’s the wall across from the couch was crying for a TV.  Sitting in a row looking at a piece of art is odd.  That may have been in their plan for the future and if not it is now!  

I don’t like dark woodwork be it natural wood or paint but it did look good in that room though.  

The other designers are probably watching this season with us.  Th

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Wings said:

I haven’t seen a preview so I don’t know who is on next week.  Can someone say more about that please?  There isn’t a thread for it. 

I haven't seen a preview either, but TV Guide says it's Hildi and "special guest Clinton Kelly" and the episode is entitled "Stripes & a Stripper Pole."

I'm scared.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I haven't seen a preview either, but TV Guide says it's Hildi and "special guest Clinton Kelly" and the episode is entitled "Stripes & a Stripper Pole."

I'm scared.

The promos don’t inspire confidence (there is some censoring of words].  I’ll probably just skip it.

On a related note, why is TS doing all the stunt casting?  First the carpenters, then N&J, and now Clinton. Are their regular designers that hard to book now?  (Which makes the fact that they’ve used Hildi twice now hilarious.  Somebody must have extra time on their hands. ?)

Edited by irisheyes
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

On a related note, why is TS doing all the stunt casting?  First the carpenters, then N&J, and now Clinton. Are their regular designers that hard to book now?  (Which makes the fact that they’ve used Hildi twice now hilarious.  Somebody must have extra time on their hands. ?)

They haven't used Laurie yet, or the three new designers. Laurie is a part of this, isn't she? (She was at the reunion, but Amy Wynn was part of the reunion too and she won't be part of the new cast. At least I don't think so. Paige tweeted not THIS season so maybe Wynn can be a part of next season!)

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Wings said:

In Jeremiah’s the wall across from the couch was crying for a TV.  Sitting in a row looking at a piece of art is odd.

Especially art that ugly.  Well, not offensively ugly, just criminally boring and obviously amateur.  I know it was their friends who created it, but I bet that came down as soon as they found something more attractive to replace it.

Was it that living room or the other one that was described as the house's "formal living room"?  I have the niggling thought it was that one, so maybe there was a "family room" in the back of the house (like back in the day) with a TV (they have to have been watching TV somewhere all this time), and that front room would just be used for sitting around the fire and talking (although it had limited seating, facing just one direction, so it's still only a semi-functional room even though it's now more attractive).

25 minutes ago, Wings said:

I don’t like dark woodwork be it natural wood or paint but it did look good in that room though.

Most of my trim is light, but in one room it's a deep chocolate brown, so depending on the room I can like either one.  What I didn't like was the trim being painted the dark blue/grey color yet the wood of the windows the trim was surrounding being stained.  They should match.

• Love 1

Hildi again does not bode well for this season.  They choose the order they will air each episode so this says they have more Hildi than the others.   The guest designers say the regular crew doesn’t want to work much maybe.  I don’t blame them, that is one hell of a weekend even with helpers. 

I agree @Bastet that it was a formal living room and they have a family room.  I suspect that somewhere in the houses history that front room was bigger and reduced leaving the fireplace off center. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

They haven't used Laurie yet, or the three new designers. Laurie is a part of this, isn't she? (She was at the reunion, but Amy Wynn was part of the reunion too and she won't be part of the new cast. At least I don't think so. Paige tweeted not THIS season so maybe Wynn can be a part of next season!)

So we know we have Doug, Hildi, Frank Gen and Vern.  I won’t miss Laurie if she skips this season.  I FF through her segments and only watch her reveal on these repeats. 

So far I like the guest designer plan.  Nate and Jeremia are a tough act to follow.  Doing what the home owners wants makes a better show. I think production aims to have some wild rooms from Doug and  Hildi, because they think we like that.   We didn’t like it the last 8 seasons, why would we now? 

• Love 12

I preferred Jeremiah’s room only because it is to my taste and I hate that couch Nate had to keep (It had fabric folded on the arms?).

Most interesting is having real designers highlights that many of the TS people have poor space planning (I even find Vern places a lot of furniture poorly) and that is why so many of the room don’t really come together.  I mean look Nate used a lot of nails in his burlap ribbon stuff but it works (not my taste though, I would take it down as it is too casual for me).

ETA in the Frank flashback I saw one room I liked and showed Frank may be able to modify his style to current trends.  It was a red wall with birch trees.  

Edited by fountain
  • Love 4

Recreating the early 1900's photo of the house was a great idea but it bugged me that the original seemed to be shot straight on and Paige's was shot angled. 

I was touched by how much the story about the daughter's illness moved Nate and Frank. I can't even imagine having to put your 10 month old baby through chemo.

• Love 11

I don’t like wainscoting and was surprised Nate put some in.  I loved his room though.  I would like to see what they both could do with the budget in rooms that didnt have so many good things to keep. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Firebrat1229 said:

Sorry, Nate. Jeremiah’s room blew yours away. So sick of Shiplap. 

Got an instant Joanna Gaines vibe.  Just need the fugly giant clock.

It was incredibly refreshing to have two designers who are 1) designers and 2) there to design a room, not to create drama or build a reputation.  

I wasn't sure what the HOs or the designers were really supposed to think about Frank emerging from his imprisonment in the truck.  Or what he actually added.  And when did TS actually record his emergence?  Since in playback mode, they'd already been painting and dog forbid one set of HOs might see paint splatter on the other HOs.  At least Frank didn't try to paint a chicken somewhere but just headed straight for the liquor cabinet.

Jeremiah's fireplace transformation was remarkable, but it was really the floor to ceiling curtains that transfixed my attention.

2 hours ago, Wings said:

In Jeremiah’s the wall across from the couch was crying for a TV.

I originally thought the same thing, but then figured the room was too narrow.  The last thing you want is the TV right in front of your face; it's like sitting in the front row of a movie theater.

How convenient that you just happen to have built-ins that are perfect for your room just sitting untouched in the garage?  Uh huh.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Wings said:

I didn’t notice Frank help Jeremiah just Nate.  I must have missed

Frank helped Jeremiah recovering the ottomon with Nate's curtains.

As for the piano you can see when they bring them in for the reveal it's been put into the dining room. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

As for the piano you can see when they bring them in for the reveal it's been put into the dining room. 

And not just in the dining room, blocking a entrance in the dining room. It's going to have to be moved pretty much right away but I get that they wanted a specific look for the reveal. Still, I loved Jeremiah's room. It was beautiful and he figured out exactly what to do to make the fireplace pop both with the wood treatment and the window right next to it.

Nate's room was fine. I'm not really sure where all his money went considering he got half his built-in for frree and kept most of the furniture. Is shiplap that expensive? Also, I hated the jute on the walls.

Frank served no purpose. Maybe he doesn't want the stress of the show anymore. I get that. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, SHD said:

Recreating the early 1900's photo of the house was a great idea but it bugged me that the original seemed to be shot straight on and Paige's was shot angled. 

In the reveal when Paige shows both pictures to the HOs you can see they are both angled to the same degree.    

Nate's room will be used everyday and Jeremiah's will never be; it is still an awkward shape.  A beautiful awkward room though.  :> It is the first room you see when walking in the door so it will be seen and admired by all.   Great entryway.  

In comparison Nate's was lacking the punch the dark navy gave.  I liked it though and an improvement.  

Both HOs had excellent taste and beautiful homes as a result.  

More of this please.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 8

The guest designers say the regular crew doesn’t want to work much maybe.

With Jeremiah and Nate, I think that's just corporate synergy, since they have a show on TLC. 

I did laugh at the women fawning over Nate.

Overall, I liked Jeremiah's room more.  The room was a difficult set up, but he did a good job.  Though I didn't love that lamp hanging over the fireplace. 

I didn't like Nate's burlap stripes, and it was honestly kind of a boring remodel for his side of things.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 5

Jeremiah's room was one of the best rooms this show has ever produced. That fireplace was stunning, the ceiling to floor drapes were perfect. Everything was perfect. I don't think I'd change a thing. Nate's room was okay. I loved the built in so it was worth it just for that. I just didn't care for the stripes on the wall. Too cage like for my taste. I do, however, like that he did listen to what the homeowners want. Also, he's very easy on the eyes. lol Yep, that shallow. Not ashamed. 

• Love 15
50 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

With Jeremiah and Nate, I think that's just corporate synergy, since they have a show on TLC. 

Overall, I liked Jeremiah's room more.  The room was a difficult set up, but he did a good job.  Though I didn't love that lamp hanging over the fireplace. 

I didn't like Nate's burlap stripes, and it was honestly kind of a boring remodel for his side of things.   

I agree.  I redid Nates room in my mind.  Lose the burlap stripes and hang similar curtains to those from your line up to the ceiling.  The very small space of wall above the curtain rod did not look good with those little short stripes.  Dark curtains to balance the other hits of black would be good.  Likening it to cooking, I mix black pepper with cayenne and keep in a small bowl handy; most foods benefit from a pinch of  that.  Nate needed a pinch of heat for the window corner.  :^)   

Edited by Wings
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Jeremiah's room was one of the best rooms this show has ever produced. That fireplace was stunning, the ceiling to floor drapes were perfect. Everything was perfect. I don't think I'd change a thing. Nate's room was okay. I loved the built in so it was worth it just for that. I just didn't care for the stripes on the wall. Too cage like for my taste. I do, however, like that he did listen to what the homeowners want. Also, he's very easy on the eyes. lol Yep, that shallow. Not ashamed. 

I agree.  The bamboo blinds from the ceiling to the top of the window giving the illusion they are taller is brilliant.  I have seen that before and have not had a house where it was necessary or would work.  

I just started watching their show and Nate is the conservative one.  I haven't seen enough to get more of a feel.  Their own house is fabulous. 

• Love 2

I liked both rooms.  They are really the best I've ever seen on the show.  I really loved what Jeremiah did with the wood over the fireplace.  I hope the others take note: that's how you do a beautiful room that the owners love on a budget.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Next week we have Clinton Kelly from The Chew on ABC.   I like having some new designers mixed in.  After these reruns I am looking forward to new blood.  They have a couple new ones who joined the cast, too.  

Though Frank said in the article above he will be very different this season, and then mentioned he is grumpy.   I bet he is still very country though.  Maybe we won't see him hand painting all over the place.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2

Ok, Im obviously in the minority, but Im not feeling Nate and Jerm.  They are too smug/cool for me.

I love Trading Spaces for what it was. If I wanted to see super tasteful redos, with uptalking, pretentious decorators, I would watch the million decorating shows on TLC.  (I did stay tuned for Nate's show that followed TS, and the super fancy hand painting in their "perfect" kitchen looked like spreading mold to me?, UGLLLLY).

I am a bit nervous for next week tho?  

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I did wonder if they were going to pair each newbie with an OG for their debut episode, or just throw Sabrina Soto and the other newbie together for an episode?

It would be smart to pair veteran and newbie, as a way to get viewers used to the new people without turning away nostalgia viewers who might decide to skip an episode without a familiar face.  (Which is probably why they not only included Frank but gave away his presence in the teasers for this crossover episode.)

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

(Which is probably why they not only included Frank but gave away his presence in the teasers for this crossover episode.)

I was mildly amused/rolling my eyes by the "cliffhanger" moment when Paige yelled "come on out" and then they cut to a commercial. Like we didn't already know who was in there because they aired the promo a million times.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Christi said:

If I wanted to see super tasteful redos, with uptalking, pretentious decorators, I would watch the million decorating shows on TLC. 

Sadly there are very few.  I can't name more than two.  

• Love 1

I think Frank was there to help since Nate and Jeremiah weren't used to the time and budget limitations.  He probably gave advice off screen.  The cocktail hour jokes were kind of funny.  

I hope that next week the horrible room isn't done by Clinton Kelly.  I've always liked him.

• Love 4

I think Frank was there to help since Nate and Jeremiah weren't used to the time and budget limitations.  He probably gave advice off screen.  

I think he was there for nostalgia.  I mean, I figure the designers probably have to have their plans into the show well before the episode is filmed so the producers can make sure the design works, i.e. that it can be created within the $2,000.00 budget and can be completed within two days.  Otherwise, it would just kind of be chaos.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, vibeology said:

Nate's room was fine. I'm not really sure where all his money went considering he got half his built-in for frree and kept most of the furniture.

The couch he had to have bought because remember there were the old corduroy ones to begin with. The new one was a sleek white couch. The one thing I noticed was that we saw more of the two families homes in the background than usual and they were both beautiful. BUT if those were my houses I would be really nervous about trusting Trading Spaces  with either of them!

And I am wondering if we will see Laurie much since she isn't pregnant and that is how I remember her from the early days.......... ;-)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, suebee12 said:

The couch he had to have bought because remember there were the old corduroy ones to begin with. The new one was a sleek white couch. The one thing I noticed was that we saw more of the two families homes in the background than usual and they were both beautiful. BUT if those were my houses I would be really nervous about trusting Trading Spaces  with either of them!

And I am wondering if we will see Laurie much since she isn't pregnant and that is how I remember her from the early days.......... ;-)

Jeremiah bought a new couch. Nate kept that large sectional that was already in the room. He even add a point of asking his team about it and being relieved to hear that the homeowners loved their couch because he couldn't afford to replace it. 

• Love 2
On 4/29/2018 at 10:38 AM, Snickerdoodle said:

I liked both rooms.  They are really the best I've ever seen on the show.  I really loved what Jeremiah did with the wood over the fireplace.  I hope the others take note: that's how you do a beautiful room that the owners love on a budget.

Jeremiah was very lucky the HOs had a stack of very old barn boards.  His budget would have been hit too hard if he had to buy them even if he could even find them.   

It’s too bad the room is too narrow to use for much.  Sure is stunning though.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1

I love me some Nate Berkus but Jeremiah blew his room away IMO.  It truly looked like a professional decorator did it - Nate's really didn't IMO.  I was really kind of happy for Jeremiah because he probably lives in Nate's shadow somewhat since he is the better known of the two.  He looked like he was fun to work with too.  I agree Frank was there to help with the time and budget constraints for the "newbies' and it was nice to see him.

Paige needs a stylist.....

This was a great episode......both couples really loved their rooms and they seemed like nice people.     

• Love 8

Not much to add to what everyone else has said.  Loved Jeremiah's room.  Was underwhelmed by Nate.  Loved seeing Frank.  He seems like such an fun loving person.  I wish they would let him design one room just to see if his taste and style have changed.   Probably will not watch next week.  Anything with Hildabeast does not interest me.

• Love 1