Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: A Surprise in the Truck

7 hours ago, penbrat said:

Anything with Hildabeast does not interest me.

And that's the thing about Hildi.  If every single room she did was a POS, she'd be a Kia, relegated to the ashcan of designer obscurity.  But she has talent, and she is perfectly capable of executing a good looking room when she wants to, and she has done some really nice rooms.  But apparently she decided somewhere along the way that any publicity is better than no publicity, and being famous, even if it's for being an asshole, is more important to her than caring about her clients.  People who've never seen Trading Spaces know who Hildi Santo-Tomas is.  Bully for her.

Families who are opening up their homes to strangers and taking a re-design on faith shouldn't have to worry if they're going to get zonked.  

This week was the difference between real designers and those who just play one on TV.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, helpmerhonda said:

Did I hear them refer to Frank as a "legacy" designer? What the hell is that? Pretty sure that's code for old.

Frank is old. I love him, but he’s collecting social security. ?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, meowmommy said:

And that's the thing about Hildi.  If every single room she did was a POS, she'd be a Kia, relegated to the ashcan of designer obscurity.  But she has talent, and she is perfectly capable of executing a good looking room when she wants to, and she has done some really nice rooms.  But apparently she decided somewhere along the way that any publicity is better than no publicity, and being famous, even if it's for being an asshole, is more important to her than caring about her clients.  People who've never seen Trading Spaces know who Hildi Santo-Tomas is.  Bully for her.

Families who are opening up their homes to strangers and taking a re-design on faith shouldn't have to worry if they're going to get zonked.  

This week was the difference between real designers and those who just play one on TV.

For me, it is not "bully for Hildi".  She gets no kudos from me for being an ass.   

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, penbrat said:

For me, it is not "bully for Hildi".  She gets no kudos from me for being an ass.   

I thought it was fairly evident from my comments that I was not complimenting her.  Perhaps I should have put the sarcasm tags on.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I thought it was fairly evident from my comments that I was not complimenting her.  Perhaps I should have put the sarcasm tags on.

Sorry.  I guess I just read it incorrectly.  My bad.

Agreed. This was the first time I can remember where both rooms looked as though they had been professionally done. The only thing I didn't care for was the hanging basket lamps - they seemed a tad amateurish to me. 

Maybe it's just me but I got the sense that the really tall guy was somewhat uncomfortable around Jeremiah. He just seemed kind of stiff and didn't know how to act. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I loved both these rooms, and it was interesting to watch Nate and Jeremiah work separately in a different setup than on their show. Given that the houses are originally from the same era, it did make sense that some solutions were similar. Fixing the problem with the off center fireplace, and using things that were being unused elsewhere in each house is a classic TS way to say on the cash. 

Frank, I don’t know if he’ll be doing any rooms this season or not. It may be permanent or just this season, I’ve not seen anything. The recreation of the old photograph of the House was smart and definitely unique, so I like that.

IIRC, Nate was more a clothing and furniture designer guy back when he was doing Oprah’s show a decade plus ago, and Jeremiah seems to more the interior space design background, but their skills complement each other well. I hope TS tries to get them back in another season; this was one of the most sane episodes TS has ever done. And it continues a streak of good rooms (except perhaps for the Newman Georgia episode where both sets of homeowners were not happy, but thr room were good though.)

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

And it continues a streak of good rooms (except perhaps for the Newman Georgia episode where both sets of homeowners were not happy, but thr room were good though.)

Genevieve and Vern did the Newnan, GA, episode, and IIRC, both HOs were pretty happy.  It's harder to keep track of the locations now, though, because they no longer use the city and street as the title of the episode.  Instead we get shit like 'stripes and a stripper pole.'   

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Genevieve and Vern did the Newnan, GA, episode, and IIRC, both HOs were pretty happy.  It's harder to keep track of the locations now, though, because they no longer use the city and street as the title of the episode.  Instead we get shit like 'stripes and a stripper pole.'   

That was the Golden Nook episode.  I rarely register on the city and state, so I prefer the title to be something that triggers my memory of the episode. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2
On 5/2/2018 at 1:53 PM, iMonrey said:

Agreed. This was the first time I can remember where both rooms looked as though they had been professionally done. The only thing I didn't care for was the hanging basket lamps - they seemed a tad amateurish to me. 

The lamp baskets did not look good to me. Poor choice, IMO. They also didn't seem like they would provide much usable light. 

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, ElleryAnne said:

Nice change of pace for this show - the designer asks what the homeowner would want, and then tries to create that.   Someone needs to make Hildi watch the episode on auto-loop until she grasps this concept.  I haven't seen Nate and Jeremiah's show, but they seem to have good taste.

During the pre-reveal sit down with Paige Nate said that being a good designer meant they needed to be good listeners. Doug and Hildi needed to hear that.

• Love 4
On 5/2/2018 at 1:53 PM, iMonrey said:

Maybe it's just me but I got the sense that the really tall guy was somewhat uncomfortable around Jeremiah. He just seemed kind of stiff and didn't know how to act. 

I picked that up too.  Things got off to awkward start when Jeremiah hugged him and the HO said, “you’re short” and just continued from there. 

Dear Doug and Hildi,

This what good design looks like.  It’s not going for shock and awe.  It’s not doing what you know the homeowner will expressly hate.  It’s not choosing outlandish materials and stapling and/or gluing them to  the wall.  It’s about listening.  Try it for a change.

Love,  Limecoke

I loved both rooms.  These homeowners really, really lucked-out.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, limecoke said:

Dear Doug and Hildi,

This what good design looks like.  It’s not going for shock and awe.  It’s not doing what you know the homeowner will expressly hate.  It’s not choosing outlandish materials and stapling and/or gluing them to  the wall.  It’s about listening.  Try it for a change.

Love,  Limecoke

I loved both rooms.  These homeowners really, really lucked-out.

Preach!