Type keyword(s) to search

Faux Life: Things That Happen On TV But Not In Reality

• Start Topic

On 12/23/2021 at 8:29 PM, Bastet said:

Allergies on TV are like asthma on TV: something only dorks have.

There's the occasional exception when necessary for wacky hijinks, like one character being allergic to cats and another trying to hide one in the house.

You're making me think of Sleepless in Seattle.  Meg Ryan wants to dump Bill Pullman because he has so many allergies.  I was so affronted by that.  Uh, it's not our FAULTS that we have freaking allergies!!!!!!!!  (Okay it may not be BECAUSE of the allergies but I do feel like it was shown as a character flaw.  We can't all be Tom Hanks living on a boat.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 9/28/2021 at 9:16 PM, Bastet said:

recently watched some episodes of a couple of similar UK series (about paramedics, police, and fire responding to 999 [like our 911] calls), and there are some notable differences with British vs. American EMS folks (they're able to do more in the field, and are nice and quick with pain relief), but, wow, the differences in police are staggering.  I knew some basics, but actually watching cops and not yelling at my TV screen was a revelation.  Not perfect, certainly, but a fundamentally different concept of what policing is meant to do and how to interact with the community.

I'd love to have the names of specific shows where I could see this. Any recs?

On 10/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, Shannon L. said:

Good point.  But, that still wouldn't stop a lot of writers.  Besides, I like the way the couple is being written as new parents. They're more laid back than most of couples are usually written.

You are making me want to watch Rookies.

• Love 3
On 12/24/2021 at 12:05 AM, RealHousewife said:

People wearing revealing things to school and work. 

In what real-life office can you wear plunging necklines or super high mini skirts?

Have you watched "Selling Sunset" on Netflix? Not a single one of them dresses appropriately for work, they all look like they do all their business in night clubs.

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

(Okay it may not be BECAUSE of the allergies but I do feel like it was shown as a character flaw.  We can't all be Tom Hanks living on a boat.)

True but if I was ever given the choice I'd take Tom Hanks living on a boat!

• Love 4
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I could do without the murders, but otherwise I want to be on this team. We can hopefully find other uses for sleuthing?

I'm perfectly happy to go about drinking tea and solving non-violent crimes. Maybe the theft of priceless jewels or antiques. I also love archeology so I could go for a theft of artifacts as well. 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

Sexy librarians, sure.

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

So all we’d have to do is take off our glasses and let our hair down? 😛

Risky move. You might end up as a super hero instead. 🙂

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

No, The Librarians was a show. That's what I was referring to. The Librarians track down magical artifacts. 

Yes, I remember it. It was a joke.

• Love 3

Just walking in to someone's closed bedrooms. I know there are people who do this, but most consider it poor manners. You never know if the person is decent or not. But on TV, people just walk in and the person is always totally dressed and presentable. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Women on TV sleep in and have sex with their bras on. If this happens in real life, I have certainly never done it and it sounds like hell, to me.

My college roommate slept in her bra. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

My college roommate slept in her bra. 

I also have some sleep bras.  They don't have underwire and are used to keep the girls from escaping.  Of course, I am working with a much larger cup size then most actresses.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Women on TV sleep in and have sex with their bras on. If this happens in real life, I have certainly never done it and it sounds like hell, to me.

Reminds me of the book Little Town on the Prairie where Ma recommends to Laura that she sleep with her corset on.  Laura did not actually respond AFAIK with "hell no" but that was pretty much her reaction.  Same as mine would be if anyone ever told me it would be a good idea to sleep with a bra on. 

Speaking of TV bras, I love how no woman, regardless of age seems to own a plain white bra.  

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Just walking in to someone's closed bedrooms. I know there are people who do this, but most consider it poor manners. You never know if the person is decent or not. But on TV, people just walk in and the person is always totally dressed and presentable. 

Or, once in their room, sitting on their bed in their dirty clothes, without asking permission first.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Speaking of TV bras, I love how no woman, regardless of age seems to own a plain white bra.  

I don't own a plain white bra or a black bra.  Those colors don't go on sale, and the average retail price of my bras is $70.  A pale pink bra is just as undetectable under my tops as a white or nude bra.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Those colors don't go on sale, and the average retail price of my bras is $70. 

Clearly I am very cheap where undies are concerned.  The most expensive bra in my collection (is 3 a collection?) came in at a grand total of $39.99 and boy did I think twice before buying that one!  I suspect the cheaper you want to be in this area the less selection of colours there is going to be.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I don't.  I have a "nude" bra that I wear with a few white shirts, but I have a strong aversion to boring underwear (mine, I mean; I don't care what anyone else wears!), so other than that I don't have any plain bras or panties - lots of colors, patterns, textures.

But I agree the number of women getting undressed in front of a man in an unplanned situation who have on sexy - and often matching - underwear is higher on TV than in real life. 

(Unless her "granny panties" are played for laughs, instead of just being a non-issue because that's what some women wear sometimes.)

Similarly, TV men always have on cute boxers.  (Not that I want to see tighty-whities, mind you, but they hardly exist on TV.)

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't.  I have a "nude" bra that I wear with a few white shirts, but I have a strong aversion to boring underwear (mine, I mean; I don't care what anyone else wears!), so other than that I don't have any plain bras or panties - lots of colors, patterns, textures.

But I agree the number of women getting undressed in front of a man in an unplanned situation who have on sexy - and often matching - underwear is higher on TV than in real life. 

I have multiple bras that I rotate through in various colors, fabrics, and cuts.  What I do not have is the matching panties.  Regular old Hanes or Fruit of the Loom cotton panties work just fine.  I just cannot justify paying that much money on underwear and then all of the time it takes to hand wash.  

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It's just like how, on network TV, post-coital men all seem to have boxers on. 

And don’t forget the “L-shaped sheet” that covers the woman from her armpits down, but only the man’s waist.

Edited by smittykins
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, smittykins said:

And don’t forget the “L-shaped sheet” that covers the woman from her armpits down, but only the man’s waist.

Funny you bring that up right now. Just today, I idlly found myself wondering how they do that. Is it a literal L-shaped sheet? Clever folding, or am I not seeing the sheet's diagonal line between her chest and his waist? I ask because I can't think of a movie I own with that situation in it.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Reminds me of the book Little Town on the Prairie where Ma recommends to Laura that she sleep with her corset on.  Laura did not actually respond AFAIK with "hell no" but that was pretty much her reaction.  Same as mine would be if anyone ever told me it would be a good idea to sleep with a bra on. 

Or wears mismatched bra and panties.

• Love 7
On 12/25/2021 at 1:08 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

You're making me think of Sleepless in Seattle.  Meg Ryan wants to dump Bill Pullman because he has so many allergies.  I was so affronted by that.  Uh, it's not our FAULTS that we have freaking allergies!!!!!!!!  (Okay it may not be BECAUSE of the allergies but I do feel like it was shown as a character flaw.  We can't all be Tom Hanks living on a boat.)

So that's why I'm not married. It's my stinking allergies.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 12/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, Zella said:

We should team up. I am an American who also loathes coffee--to me, it tastes like what an ashtray smells like--but I love tea (drinking some Yorkshire gold right now!) and I like villages, murders, and sleuthing. 

My kind of people! If my name doesn’t make it obvious, I, too, love villages, murders (the cozy kind, with Poirot or JB Fletcher), sleuthing and tea. I like the smell of coffee but cannot drink it, which makes me the family weirdo.

I am also a female who doesn’t like baths and sees showers as a necessary chore. I may take a bath about once a year for a relaxing read but I usually just end up feeling hot. People taking endless candlelit bubble baths on tv never struck me as relaxing or romantic. Just sweaty.

Edited by AgathaC
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

People taking endless candlelit bubble baths on tv never struck me as relaxing ir romantic. Just sweaty.

I'm a bath person but I agree with you about the candelit bubble baths on TV.  I'm sure some people find it relaxing and good for them but when I see these bathrooms lit by candles and a tub full of bubbles all I can think is "but how would I read my book?"

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Speaking of Kate, I loved how she always wore sleeveless tops and had no armpit hair. Shaving on the deserted island must have been so easy.

I always thought Kate, Claire, Sun, etc. would get together and have a girls' night with enough wax to take care of all of the pesky body hairs.  Because, none of them had any body hair--eyebrows perfectly sculpted and nary a moustache or chin hair in sight.

• LOL 9
58 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

I'm a bath person but I agree with you about the candelit bubble baths on TV.  I'm sure some people find it relaxing and good for them but when I see these bathrooms lit by candles and a tub full of bubbles all I can think is "but how would I read my book?"

And is no one on TV clumsy?  Just today I've dropped a coffee mug, bread, moisturizer, and an egg.

Those candles would be on the floor so fast and I'd furiously be trying to use the bathwater to put out a fire.

But no fires on TV unless it's a murder.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
35 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought the cliche was to make the hot woman clumsy.  Lindsay Lohan falling into a garbage can on Mean Girls, Sandra Bullock tripping in the purple dress in Miss Congeniality - for a while it was this huge trope that a woman would walk in heels looking great and then trip like Buster Keaton.

Yeah, but those are movies, it’s supposed to be tv examples.

Deleted a non TV example

1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, but those are movies, it’s supposed to be tv examples.

LOL.  Ok.  I didn't realize we are not allowed to discuss movies here.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I always thought Kate, Claire, Sun, etc. would get together and have a girls' night with enough wax to take care of all of the pesky body hairs.  Because, none of them had any body hair--eyebrows perfectly sculpted and nary a moustache or chin hair in sight.

The smoke monster probably helped them out.  

The thing with long baths, even if I liked them, is the water cools off in like 10 minutes.  It's like constant work keeping it warm and comfortable. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I'm sorry, reading that I missed a comma and spent way too much time trying to figure out what bread moisturizer was.

When I was growing up, a bread moisturizer was always a leaky thermos in my lunchbox.

• LOL 16
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I just keep thinking about how time consuming that would be, if they've got a bunch of candles in their bathroom. One or two, perhaps, to add a bit of aroma or whatever, fine. But the people who have a bunch of them, like, who has time for all of that? 

To say nothing of how big these bathrooms tend to be that they can have all that room for all those candles. If I were to light a candle in our bathroom, it'd just have to be that one, 'cause my bathroom is tiny :p. 

• Love 10

I'd be worried about my bathroom candles setting fire to the magazines/catalogs I have at hand next to the tub to read but I can't recall anyone anyone on TV having any actual reading material in their bathrooms! 

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I just keep thinking about how time consuming that would be, if they've got a bunch of candles in their bathroom. One or two, perhaps, to add a bit of aroma or whatever, fine. But the people who have a bunch of them, like, who has time for all of that? 

Maybe it's my superpower, but I haven't ever found it terribly time consuming to light or extinguish multiple candles even if I do all of them in a room.

(I counted; my bathroom usually has eight.  The only time I light all of them is for bubble baths.  I also have a night light setting on my overhead light, and a lava lamp on my vanity, so I can easily create adequate light for reading.)

More time spent dusting, though, yeah.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Maybe it's my superpower, but I haven't ever found it terribly time consuming to light or extinguish multiple candles even if I do all of them in a room.

(I counted; my bathroom usually has eight.  The only time I light all of them is for bubble baths.  I also have a night light setting on my overhead light, and a lava lamp on my vanity, so I can easily create adequate light for reading.)

More time spent dusting, though, yeah.

Eight's not too bad. That seems relatively manageable :). I was thinking about the people who had, like fifteen or twenty candles, in any room :p. 

I like the lava lamp idea. That sounds cool :D. Oddly, I think my bathroom is probably one of the better lit rooms in our apartment. Our lighting here is...not great. Not a lot of outlets. We've got a lot of extension cords and lamps :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2