Type keyword(s) to search

Faux Life: Things That Happen On TV But Not In Reality

• Start Topic

On 12/6/2021 at 3:43 PM, BexKeps said:

This still happens on modern day shows. Women wearing cashmere sweaters with pastel slacks kneeling in the garden, painting walls with pristine and fresh pressed button up blouses on, or my all-time fav:  cooking huge messy meals while wearing silk shirts and a perfectly matching, and clean, apron. 

What I love are the shows that have unexpected callers at the door - whether police more seriously, or just about anyone else - and the 'lady of the house' no matter what time of day it is is immaculately dressed, hair, make-up, the whole nine yards.  Sure.  I love the few, very few, times when they show someone answer a door looking like a real person who was home looking the way most of us look when we are just living a normal life.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Only on TV does the electric company cut your power off after one missed payment (before the next bill is even due) and with no warning.  Because TV power companies know that checks never get lost in the mail. 

Yep! On Boy Meets World, the Matthews Family's electricity gets cut off because the electric bill had gotten destroyed the month before due to Shawn having thrown a cherry bomb into the very mail box that Alan had placed the bill with the enclosed check to pay it off. However, he ALSO mentioned that he'd mailed about 30 checks that day- yet none of the other entities had contacted the Matthewses re late or missing payments before the power company cut off the juice!   Of course, the fact that Alan had known almost as soon as the mailbox had been scorched   and that all those checks had gotten destroyed and yet, even with this vital  information,  Alan had not cancelled then re-written them. Hence, that ultimately was his responsibility! 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Only on TV does the electric company cut your power off after one missed payment (before the next bill is even due) and with no warning.  Because TV power companies know that checks never get lost in the mail.

Nope, that's the water company!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

And after the power is off, the person lights a hundred gazillion candles to light their room. It’s never just one or two. 

Oh, god, every time I see a room with a ton of lit candles everywhere, I just get nervous and immediately start thinking, "Fire hazard...". 

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, god, every time I see a room with a ton of lit candles everywhere, I just get nervous and immediately start thinking, "Fire hazard...". 

This is me! Like it could be a romance scene, but I'm thinking, "if one of those gets knocked over...". 😬

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I’m always thinking, do they really have thirty candles lying around?

I have a metric shit ton of candles, between the ones that are out and the ones I have in reserve for when those burn down.  Just looking around my home office right now, there are seven in this room alone (well, more than that since some have multiple candles, but seven candle holders of various sorts). 

So if I forget to pay my electric bill and get shut off with no notice, I'll be all set.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Speaking of candles, it's as if TV (and movies) is trying to convince us that women are simply incapable of taking a bath without lighting at least one candle--and drinking a glass of wine. 

And with strategically placed bubbles.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Trini said:

This is me! Like it could be a romance scene, but I'm thinking, "if one of those gets knocked over...". 😬

I recently received a gift basket which included a votive candle.  I ended up throwing it away because I don’t have anything to put it in; I don’t keep matches or lighters in my house, so I have nothing to light it with; and I’m paranoid that either me or my cat would accidentally knock it over.

• Love 5

According to QI, you should carry a tea light and matches in your car because if you get stranded in winter, the candle will keep the interior warm all night. If Mythbusters was still on, I'd request a segment on that.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Speaking of candles, it's as if TV (and movies) is trying to convince us that women are simply incapable of taking a bath without lighting at least one candle--and drinking a glass of wine. 

That actually is a type of bath that some women take on the regular.  I take one of those a week, though I usually do not bring in candles.  I also do not bring in an alcoholic beverage, but that's do to my body's chemistry.  For me, heat and alcohol don't mix.  I do load up on the bath salts and bubble bath, and bring a book in with me.  I love to read a book in the bath.  It's one of my favorite places to read.  Just add more hot water if the book is good. Occasionally I bring in my phone and have some music going.  Back before smartphones, i would bring in either my MP3 player and a speaker or later my laptop for the music.  

• Love 4

When I think of baths with candles, I always think of The Dude in The Big Lebowski. 

The Big Lebowski Smoking GIF by Working Title

"Hey, this is a private residence, man!" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Personally I'm not really into candles. I like the idea of them but I am clumsy and super sensitive to the smells of a lot of them, so I never light them. I regularly buy them for people whom I have no clue what to get them for gifts, though. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

see, this is why I can't have a bath. I don't like wine. Wait, does that mean I have to give up my middle aged, white lady card? If TV is anything to go by, all white women of a certain age like wine. I also can't be an American according to TV because I loathe coffee. I suppose I could be an old British spinster. I do love a nice cup of tea and solving quant village murders. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I also can't be an American according to TV because I loathe coffee. I suppose I could be an old British spinster. I do love a nice cup of tea and solving quant village murders. 

We should team up. I am an American who also loathes coffee--to me, it tastes like what an ashtray smells like--but I love tea (drinking some Yorkshire gold right now!) and I like villages, murders, and sleuthing. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Zella said:

(drinking some Yorkshire gold right now!)

Oooh, posh. I'm drinking plain old non gold Yorkshire. lol And watching GBBO because...accents. 

For things that happen on tv but not reality, very rarely do I ever see anyone burn their tongue on too hot tea (or coffee for those freaks who like that stuff haha) nor do they seem to need to wait to drink their hot beverage. 

You sometimes get it in a holiday movie where the lead is adorably holding their cup to warm their hands while they wear their cute little coat (open despite it meaning to be cold), or a bunt tongue if the character is meant to say something important and it would be "funny" for them to have to talk with a burnt tongue but mostly it is either pour and drink or pour and never drink it because it's just an empty cup prop. 

• Love 7

Whenever I take a bubble bath, there are candles and either wine or whiskey.  But I don't have bubbles a foot high that last for an hour and stay attached to my breasts no matter how I move, and there are no artfully draped tendrils of hair escaping my carefully messy updo, just sprigs of steam-induced frizz sticking out of a clip, so I'm not a TV character.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Whenever I take a bubble bath, there are candles and either wine or whiskey.  But I don't have bubbles a foot high that last for an hour and stay attached to my breasts no matter how I move, and there are no artfully draped tendrils of hair escaping my carefully messy updo, just sprigs of steam-induced frizz sticking out of a clip, so I'm not a TV character.

You are a failure at bubble baths! Except the whiskey. The whiskey is a total win.

I would LOVE to take baths, but I'm lucky if I get 10 minutes in the tub before I'm basically just sitting in lukewarm water, which really isn't worth the effort. I also have a super low tub so my poor boobs never get to feel the warm comfort of being surrounded by loving bubbles, unless my legs and knees are deprived of such bubble snuggles. It's always a choose, top end under the water or bottom end, never both. :( My life is soooooo hard. haha

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, smittykins said:

I recently received a gift basket which included a votive candle.  I ended up throwing it away because I don’t have anything to put it in; I don’t keep matches or lighters in my house, so I have nothing to light it with; and I’m paranoid that either me or my cat would accidentally knock it over.

I have candles in my bathroom for decoration. They have never been lit & never will be.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Zella said:

We should team up. I am an American who also loathes coffee--to me, it tastes like what an ashtray smells like--but I love tea (drinking some Yorkshire gold right now!) and I like villages, murders, and sleuthing. 

I like the smell of coffee but hate the taste.  

In fact I'm not big on any of the big four :. Beer, wine, coffee or tea. 

I'll drink beer and wine but I would never just come home and seek out any of those.  

• Love 2
Just now, DrSpaceman73 said:

I like the smell of coffee but hate the taste.  

In fact I'm not big on any of the big four :. Beer, wine, coffee or tea. 

I'll drink beer and wine but I would never just come home and seek out any of those.  

I know a lot of people who don't drink coffee but like the smell, but it gags me. I don't like beer either. Truthfully, I'm not much of a drinker due to family history and also some medication I'm on now. I'm okay with wine but am not a particular fan of it. I was fortunate that my first introduction to it was through a friend who bought some good stuff, which was very nice, but then I had some really cheap stuff after that for the next time, and it was not a good experience. LOL

If left to my own devices, I always got rum and Coke. I also was really okay with the rum and iced tea I made for myself one time. LOL I'm from the South, so I mainline iced tea for most of the year and then switch to my hot English/Irish breakfast teas for the autumn and winter. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Zella said:

I know a lot of people who don't drink coffee but like the smell, but it gags me.

I thought I was the only one. I can't be near people who are holding fresh brewed coffee. That and cigarette smoke make my throat close up. While I have seen people on TV react to cigarette smells but only rarely I have never seen anyone all "get that stinking coffee out of my face!" which happens all the time in my real life. :)

53 minutes ago, Zella said:

I always got rum and Coke.

That is actually the only way I will drink cola. can't stand it on it's own. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

That and cigarette smoke make my throat close up.

I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke! I can't be around it. I've often had people be dismissive of me when I tell them coffee smells like cigarettes to me, so it's actually nice to get confirmation it's not just me! 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke! I can't be around it. 

Same. It gives me a headache, and I hate coming home with my clothes smelling of it. Unfortunately, one of my friends and some of my relatives used to smoke a lot years ago, so that was a common thing whenever I'd go to see them. They always tried to be as respectful and careful as possible with the smoking when I was around them, but smoke being what it is, hard to escape the smell all the same.

As for the smell of coffee, I love it, myself, and I do drink coffee from time to time. But I can definitely see where others might not care for it, 'cause it is a pretty strong scent. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke! I can't be around it. I've often had people be dismissive of me when I tell them coffee smells like cigarettes to me, so it's actually nice to get confirmation it's not just me! 

Nope, not just you. I usually have to take something if a smoker comes over, because I can smell it on their clothes.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Same. It gives me a headache, and I hate coming home with my clothes smelling of it. Unfortunately, one of my friends and some of my relatives used to smoke a lot years ago, so that was a common thing whenever I'd go to see them. They always tried to be as respectful and careful as possible with the smoking when I was around them, but smoke being what it is, hard to escape the smell all the same.

As for the smell of coffee, I love it, myself, and I do drink coffee from time to time. But I can definitely see where others might not care for it, 'cause it is a pretty strong scent. 

1 minute ago, Constant Viewer said:

Nope, not just you. I usually have to take something if a smoker comes over, because I can smell it on their clothes.

giphy.gif

I'm fortunate that I'm not around any smokers. I've had issues just walking past people smoking in parking lots and then been choked up for a few days over it. I have really severe environmental allergies and have a lot of fragrance sensitivities in general that basically cause reactions just like my environmental allergies. Encounters with other people's perfumes and colognes and certain air fresheners and cleaners really mess me up.  

I feel like media in general really jumps over environmental allergies. I laughed so hard at a YouTube video that was joking about all the pollen in the fields they were driving through in Twister that nobody seemed to be choking on because I'm in a neighboring state, and I dread spring for that very reason. Where I am, talking about the brutal pollen counts is an accepted and frequent form of small talk, and I never see anyone do that on TV or in movies and books. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Zella said:

Where I am, talking about the brutal pollen counts is an accepted and frequent form of small talk, and I never see anyone do that on TV or in movies and books. 

Yeah, you hear people talk about snow on tv, but never how their cars are covered with yellow pollen certain times of the year.

• Love 12

Allergies on TV are like asthma on TV: something only dorks have.

There's the occasional exception when necessary for wacky hijinks, like one character being allergic to cats and another trying to hide one in the house.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

There's the occasional exception when necessary for wacky hijinks, like one character being allergic to cats and another trying to hide one in the house.

yeah, the only allergies that seem to exist on TV are pet allergies. Poor animals are getting a bad rap. 

1 hour ago, Constant Viewer said:

Yeah, you hear people talk about snow on tv, but never how their cars are covered with yellow pollen certain times of the year.

I'll take snow over that yellow devils dandruff anyday! That stuff is EVIL!!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Allergies on TV are like asthma on TV: something only dorks have.

Also murder victims.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

However, it seems on television, no matter where the locale is, it ONLY snows, storms or rains when plot points hinge on struggling against inclement weather!   All other times it seems to be sunny and late spring/fall or summer!  Family Ties was one of the few shows which had the regulars   be in fall or winter attire on a regular basis due to their Ohio locale having long cold seasons!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Family Ties was one of the few shows which had the regulars   be in fall or winter attire on a regular basis due to their Ohio locale having long cold seasons!

One of the things I loved about The Americans is that they filmed it in winter/fall, so there were a lot of scenes with snow that had nothing to do with the plot. Sometimes it didn't even match the timeline of the plot season-wise, but it was such a nice change from California scenery doubling for places that are clearly not California that I found it weirdly endearing. 

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

What high schools allow crop tops?

Haha, oh, god, I used to wonder the same thing whenever I'd watch movies like She's All That and others of that sort when I was a teenager :D. I'd see girls going to school with midriff shirts and off the shoulder tops and miniskirts and whatnot and I'd be like, "...the hell kind of dress code do they have at this school?" :p. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

In what real-life office can you wear plunging necklines or super high mini skirts?

You’d be surprised. The front door secretary at the office I used to work at wore ridiculously inappropriate outfits all the time. She looked like she was going clubbing rather than answer phones and babysit the front door.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

What high schools allow crop tops?

High schools that bow to pressure.  Because at least one story comes out every year when some girl goes to the press because she was sent home for wearing a crop top or a mini skirt.  The dress code is misogynistic and it promotes rape culture.

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

In what real-life office can you wear plunging necklines or super high mini skirts?

I always wonder this when I see people visiting their parents - their parents - for dinner or whatever in the plunging neckline or super clingy sweaters and barely there skirts.  Do most women really dress like that anyway if they aren't going clubbing or to a party, but do most women dress like that around their parents as they chow down on the meat loaf and mashed potatoes?  If they do I've yet to meet one in real life!

• Love 6

I don't remember our high school having any sort of dress code. I don't think anyone ever dressed particularly outrageously, but short skirts and sleeveless tops were ok. 

My TV always tells me I am not a normal woman, because I don't take baths at all, only long showers. I don't like the idea of just lying in water like that.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't remember our high school having any sort of dress code. I don't think anyone ever dressed particularly outrageously, but short skirts and sleeveless tops were ok. 

My TV always tells me I am not a normal woman, because I don't take baths at all, only long showers. I don't like the idea of just lying in water like that.

I'm apparently not a normal male because I don't give a shit about craft beers.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't like bathing or showering in general, so I never bathe and only take quick showers. There's nothing relaxing about it for me and the only time I linger a little longer than usual is if I'm really cold. Other than that, it's simply another chore that needs to get done.

• Love 3

According to TV I may be the only person out there who adds cream and sugar to my coffee.  I do know people who take their coffee black but not many.  On TV it's the exception not the rule to add something to coffee.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 11

I feel like I see people in my everyday life drinking black coffee way more than I see that on TV or movies. This could be situation specific because my whole family drinks it black with no sugar and regards additions as some character flaw. My not drinking it at all is a moral defect. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
On 12/23/2021 at 12:09 PM, Zella said:

I like the idea of them but I am clumsy and super sensitive to the smells of a lot of them

Yeah, I have to wonder what the hell they put in them to make me so sick. But the idea of them is charming.

On 12/23/2021 at 1:05 PM, Zella said:

I could do without the murders, but otherwise I want to be on this team. We can hopefully find other uses for sleuthing?

On 12/23/2021 at 7:46 PM, Mabinogia said:

only rarely I have never seen anyone all "get that stinking coffee out of my face!"

I would love to see that on TV! I think the only time TV makes an issue of someone being sensitive to smells other people like is if they're pregnant. But it's way more common than that in real life.

The thing I see all the time that I can't get over is people answering the door-- just opening it!-- without checking who it is first. Even when they aren't expecting anyone!! This strikes me as completely insane and implausible. But it happens a lot on TV.

• Love 7