Type keyword(s) to search

Faux Life: Things That Happen On TV But Not In Reality

• Start Topic

On 12/10/2023 at 6:22 PM, Raja said:

I don't remember the private jet being a thing before Criminal Minds and then the jet became a mobile command post as the team did the preliminary work on the flight instead of getting sleep time in. Two scenes for the time cost of one. Showing the boring flight time instead of picking up the story at the scene is just there to show us how special and needed by the local investigators the teams on our shows really are.

I don't ever really recall a time on Criminal Minds where the show justified the use of a private jet. I can only recall two instances where it actually was useful- in Season 8, when they were hunting an active killer, since it was faster to use the plane (and even then, the killer got away) and in Season 15, in the original series finale, when the team literally blew up the plane with the serial killer they were chasing inside of it.

That last moment the team justified the move because one of their teammates, David Rossi, said he could afford to buy the team a new one (and this serial killer was "personal" for Rossi, so he justified the expense from an emotional standpoint). Which I guess makes sense...but I'm still not sure the FBI would sanction the destruction of something that surely cost them tens of millions of dollars to acquire (if not a lot more) even if Rossi promised to pay them back (never mind his own ability to afford such a purchase).

Meanwhile, The Mentalist poked fun at CM for having a jet. When Patrick Jane joined the FBI, the first time he flew to a crime scene, they had to fly via conventional commercial airline. He remarked with surprise, saying "I thought we would have a jet."

• Like 1

I kinda hand wave Criminal Minds as the justification is “in world” that they do travel from place to place on a regular basis and it is time sensitive so having to find 5 (or whatever) seats on a commercial plane last minute to get them to their location right now instead of next available flight is 4 hours from now would be something the BAU could justify.

The other justification is more logistical to the show in general.  Having a set that looks like the inside of a small private plane is easy to shoot and it’s good bookends for most episodes.  Places the characters can talk and have those meaningful discussions which would be difficult on a commercial plane with some kid banging on the back of your seat or some idiot getting drunk next to you on expensive plane booze.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And there are some government facilities that are nowhere near a commercial airport.  

Now that I think about it I have actually flown on private planes/helicopters as part of my job. But it was to get tona super remote location where the only other option would have been riding on the cargo ship that takes weeks to get there. But even those were cramped and not very comfy. Not some kind of plush Logan Roy style plane where you can get up and walk around with recliner seats and wifi. 

I also feel like I have seen at least one spy show (Alias or maybe Homeland) where spies are using private jets. Which maybe seems even dumber. Since a great way to draw attention to yourself is when one beautiful white woman gets off a private jet at an airport by herself in some country where she would probably look out of place.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I also feel like I have seen at least one spy show (Alias or maybe Homeland) where spies are using private jets. Which maybe seems even dumber. Since a great way to draw attention to yourself is when one beautiful white woman gets off a private jet at an airport by herself in some country where she would probably look out of place

If you're James Bond drawing attention to yourself is strategy.

• Like 2

Criminal Minds had a private plane a lot of their episodes ended on the plane. It makes sense for filming but in real life I'd probably be annoyed. I'm cynical went it comes to government spending given how often it's misused.

NCIS at least in the beginning mentioned booking flights but then at some point mostly used military planes. Except for one to Gitmo they got to use the director's plane. 

• Like 2

I was watching an old Homicide Hunter it's a show where real life detective Joe Kenda talks about his cases. This one his friend and fellow cop is shot doing a stop. Joe's driving to the scene when he gets a call from his boss telling him to go to the hospital. Because it's real life Joe does just that even though he still wants to go to the scene. Now, if this was TV show he'd ignore the order and go straight to the scene and take over case even over the objections of other officers there and he'd chase the suspect, find him and arrest him. Of course there'll be a moment where he decides whether or not to kill the murderer or he'll get lucky and the murderer will do something to give him an excuse to kill him. He might get yelled at by his boss or maybe not. He'll tell him it's his friend and he'll find the killer even if you take him off the case or fire him. He'll be congratulated at the end by everyone. No consequences for disobeying an order and taking over someone else's crime scene. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

It seems extremely unlikely that the director of NCIS would get a private plane.

The premier law enforcement and spy agency in the world demands no less than a 15 year director with an assigned business jet.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Santa Claus exists. In dozens maybe even hundreds of TV shows they will meet Santa or notice extra presents or hear reindeer or Santa's Ho Ho Ho to show that Santa really does exist. Given how often it happens you'd think everyone in TVland would believe.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
10 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Santa Claus exists. In dozens maybe even hundreds of TV shows they will meet Santa or notice extra presents or hear reindeer or Santa's Ho Ho Ho to show that Santa really does exist. Given how often it happens you'd think everyone in TVland would believe.  

The weirdest part is parents who don't believe in Santa (when he is actually real). So where did you think those extra presents you didn't buy came from?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 5
  • LOL 4

I have learned from TV that if a loved one is ever in a prolonged state of unconsciousness in the hospital, all I need to do is lay my head on their bed, begin to weep, and voila!  They will return to consciousness and either reach out and stroke my head or grip my hand.  

• Like 15
  • LOL 4

@Calvada adding to your hospital theme: Having had daughter in the hospital ER for 24 hours last week I can attest that ER's on TV are much nicer than ER's in real life. On TV they are bright, spacious and staffed with attentive, readily available nurses, dr's and attendants. The one my daughter was in was dark, overcrowded, noisy and they only time we saw a dr/nurse/attendant is when they checked her vitals*.

*This is not a hit on anyone in the medical field, thankfully my daughter was not in need of constant observation (and even more thankfully she is home and doing well), I'm just pointing out the big difference between a TV show ER and an actual ER. 

• Like 6
  • Hugs 3

Every tv parent (especially single parents) has an on-call, instantly available babysitter when necessary for plot purposes. Even if you make minimum wage and there have been no previous mentions of you having parents, siblings, etc. nearby. 

• Like 6
On 1/19/2024 at 1:53 PM, KittyMom4 said:

@Calvada adding to your hospital theme: Having had daughter in the hospital ER for 24 hours last week I can attest that ER's on TV are much nicer than ER's in real life. On TV they are bright, spacious and staffed with attentive, readily available nurses, dr's and attendants. The one my daughter was in was dark, overcrowded, noisy and they only time we saw a dr/nurse/attendant is when they checked her vitals*.

*This is not a hit on anyone in the medical field, thankfully my daughter was not in need of constant observation (and even more thankfully she is home and doing well), I'm just pointing out the big difference between a TV show ER and an actual ER. 

Except on the show ER, where, whatever its other issues might be concerning realism, the ER actually looked a lot more like the ones I've seen in real life.

• Useful 3

The crews of cruise ships are made up of lots of young Americans and the international contingent  are rarely heard from.

• Like 4

There was an old episode of The Wonder Years that has actually has always bothered me.  Maybe some recall it here:  Kevin and his friends sneak out and take his Dad's car to try and see The Rolling Stones in a surprise gig.  In the meanwhile Kevin I think already had some speeding tickets and his Dad warned him about going out/leaving the house.

A long story short he drives all over creation and I think hit his Dad's car in the rear somewhere.  But it's implied Kevin is off the hook when the people Kevin's parents went out with happened to hit Kevin's dad car in the same spot.  It appeared Kevin got off the hook.  Still if his Dad was savvy he would have still detected something was up:

Did Kevin fill his Dad's car with gas after driving all over creation?

His Dad may very well have noticed how many more miles were on his odometer all of a sudden.  

Did he adjust the seat?  Did his friends liter the car?

If I did that my dad is savvy enough with cars he would have picked up on it.  So yeah it always bothered me in that episode how Kevin is supposed to be off the hook from his parent's noticing.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 4
On 4/23/2024 at 7:11 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Of course they are. You would be too if so many of your cases had some sort of connection to your personal life.

I've mentioned it before, I think, but it's something Hollywood seems to always get wrong about every job, at least as far as the main protagonist is concerned. Focal characters are always diligent, punctual go-getters who put in the extra work to make sure they've done their jobs right, even if it means having to re-open a task at the end of the day instead of simply declaring the task "done" and going home.

I have no statistics, obviously, but having worked in workplaces with lots of other people, I can safely say that there are very few people who are so dedicated to their jobs that they'll put in the extra mile to get things right. Now, I grant that the amount of people who "hot dog" at their jobs likely depends on the field, and most of my experiences are at low-paying jobs where employee motivation is already a struggle, but, knowing we're all humans, even at so-called "better" jobs, not everyone is going to be on top of their jobs all the time. Even the best will get lazy and give in to the temptation to cut corners, even if it would be disastrous for them to do so.

Perhaps there's a good reason why Hollywood makes their characters so dedicated to their jobs. Firstly, a character who is lazy is typically not very likeable, and, secondly, it's not a very satisfying story if plots were always resolved because a character was simply lazy.

This goes both ways- for the protagonist and the antagonist. You want your protagonist to succeed because they overcame everything the antagonist threw at them, not because the antagonist got bored halfway through the story. Conversely, a loss for the protagonists would not be impactful if they were not shown trying so hard to do everything they can to succeed at the challenge only to fall short. If the protagonist simply went through the motions and failed because of it, the audience would very much wonder if the protagonist would have succeeded had they actually tried, and they might wonder how serious the challenge really was if the protagonist didn't offer any effort in trying to overcome it.

So while it's not accurate for Hollywood characters to be dedicated go-getters, it's a more satisfying story to write them that way.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ABay said:

I don't think it's lazy to do your job and want to go home at the end of the regular work day.

No, of course not, but there are different kinds of jobs. Anyway, a lot of detectives are characterized as being obsessed. They neglect their families and personal lives and end up not listening to their bosses one time too many, at which point they become hard drinking, hard core PIs with a soft spot for women who need help. Maybe their old partner, who is still on the force, is killed and they are the only one who cares enough to give the partner’s wife closure….

On 12/13/2023 at 12:52 AM, Bastet said:

The only airplane scenes from The X-Files I can pull up in my memory were regular commercial flights, but it's been some time since my last re-watch -- when did they fly private?

Is it possible Mulder flew on a private jet with the cigarette smoking man? I seem to remember something like that, but vaguely. Haven’t watched for years.

10 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I've mentioned it before, I think, but it's something Hollywood seems to always get wrong about every job, at least as far as the main protagonist is concerned. Focal characters are always diligent, punctual go-getters who put in the extra work to make sure they've done their jobs right, even if it means having to re-open a task at the end of the day instead of simply declaring the task "done" and going home.

One dead give away that TV cops are giant workaholics (especially for procedural type shows) is that anytime there is any kind of social event like a retirement party or an awards ceremony it will always happen at the end of an episode. So they will also be able to use the event to celebrate the big case they just solved.  Because they always solve the case in time for the event, except for one episode of Homicide Life on the Street I remember watching where the event took place mid episode (and was kind of awesome for doing it).

• Like 3
9 hours ago, ABay said:

I don't think it's lazy to do your job and want to go home at the end of the regular work day.

No, I don't think so either. There's just a difference between completing your task with time to spare so you can go home early and cutting corners on said task just so you can go home early. One is happenstance, the other is laziness.

What I was also saying is that, sometimes, when we finish a task, we may not have necessarily finished it. It's not because we were bad at our jobs- it's another matter of us being human, in that we all make mistakes and overlook things. What tends to happen on these police procedurals is that, unless it's a plot point, you never get the protagonists leaving the crime scene thinking they've done their job when they actually haven't. If the task isn't done despite looking like so, one of the protagonists will have a "hunch" and they'll be back on the case, when, in reality, that wouldn't always happen.

• Like 1

We also rarely see what happens next to the killer. They might still be released if they get a good lawyer. I remember one episode of Bones that showed a trial for someone they caught some time ago. But usually we don't know, unless it's a killer who comes back in a later episode to target the team or to kill a next victim in their area and only then we learn that they were let go for some reason (I think in reality the team who caught them would probably be told?).