Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E21: One Step Forward

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Sara Carter begs Gibbs to investigate her mother’s murder as she believes the local authorities convicted the wrong man. Also, Abby is awarded a dinner reservation for two to a brand-new five-star restaurant in an igloo and has to decide which coworker deserves to go with her.

As an episode by itself, not too bad. I did think the daughter was a nut case, but then she redeemed herself.
However, as the first of "two episodes giving Abby her well-deserved sendoff" it sucked.
A routine crime of the week until the last 10 seconds, ending with a gunshot?
Based on the previews it looks like Abby was shot, and is in bad shape. If this is the sendoff taking into account the fans love of Abby, I might be done with the show.
My only hope is that Abby recovers but for some reason leaves NCIS-maybe to work with the people in Reeves' home for veterans

Even if that's the grand finale it sucks.

• Love 4

Sorry this episode was a snoozer...and  the first of two with Abby..barely had her in it..and Jimmy sucking up to Abby to get into that restaurant....gave off a weird vibe....

I did laugh at the Gibbs talking to a Screened Abby..Oh show...you really are a parody at this point....I'm starting to think that Gary Glasberg's death killed the fun on this show.

• Love 6

My gut says that

Spoiler

Abby will die, and she will have stipulated that she's an organ donor.  She very specifically said that she wanted to help the shooter before she was shot.  I think the angle here is that Abby's last act is to be helpful to others by being an organ donor.  Since she's a "legacy character" in terms of the show, I think the writers may be going with the lasting "legacy" of organ donation.  If so, it will be sad, but very in-character for Abby to make such a choice.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

My gut says that

Reveal hidden contents

Abby will die, and she will have stipulated that she's an organ donor.  She very specifically said that she wanted to help the shooter before she was shot.  I think the angle here is that Abby's last act is to be helpful to others by being an organ donor.  Since she's a "legacy character" in terms of the show, I think the writers may be going with the lasting "legacy" of organ donation.  If so, it will be sad, but very in-character for Abby to make such a choice.

Spoiler

If they kill off *another* female character, that'll be it for me.. It is disgusting.  

• Love 6
(edited)

really, show? REALLY???? Can't you EVER think of anything other than having people shot or blown up or whatever? DEA agents in South America have better odds than people working for NCIS. I guess we should be grateful that Dinozzo left healthy and happy. Regardless of whether Abby recovers, its just lazy to write another life-threatening scenario as a plot vehicle for manufactured drama. 

And I agree with whoever upthread said that Jimmy angling for a seat at the table (literally) was just odd. SO out of character, especially since his wife wouldn't be able to join him.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

I bet that last scene was hard for PP to film, given her attack a few years ago. My guess at the end (before seeing the preview for next week) was that:

Reveal hidden contents

Clay would be killed and Abby would blame herself and leave NCIS to go do penance somewhere. Still might happen, as I don't recall seeing him standing around her hospital bed in the preview. I could have missed it, though. I bet next week's episode is pretty much a clips show.

Based on the preview 

Spoiler

I think Reeves is killed. When Torres is asking how something like this happens, he’s in the morgue. 

I’m pissed.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, valen said:

Based on the preview 

Reveal hidden contents

I think Reeves is killed. When Torres is asking how something like this happens, he’s in the morgue. 

I’m pissed.

Right there with you!

• Love 3

Didn't see the previews.  But my goodness -- I think it's more dangerous to be an NCIS agent walking the streets or just being at home, than it would be in the field diffusing dirty bombs.  Yikes.

I did like the episode in that it finally it gave Clayton something to do.  It's nice that his character is involved in that volunteer project.   Other than that, I thought the case of the week was pretty much a snoozer. 

Hope Abby's sendoff hopefully somehow ends on a good note.

• Love 4

Well crap. While I appreciate all the do better by our vets trope they set a dangerous precedent by taking on a case due to violent insistence. 

Abby and Gibbs talk! Via a screen in a scene that could have been shot with each of them filming on different days.

What a shitty ending it looks like this season will have. 

• Love 1

I think abby will leave the show by going off to help the shooter.  I mean, really, who says "I can help you" to someone robbing them?  You just give them your stuff and hope they run off.  That line tells me that she is, in fact, going to help him.

• Love 1

Is NCIS really going to kill off Abby?  Because if they do that might be the first thing the show has done in a long time that has truly impressed me....and I really really like the character.  She is still one of my favorites.  Killing her off is one way to truly impact every character on the show and almost every aspect of the show plus it is the only believable way for Abby to leave.  

Abby cast a long shadow nearly  as long as Gibbs so her death would have long reaching consequences.  If the show goes that route. 

As for the episode itself it was kinda boring except as a do better for returning vets.  Clayton still does nothing for me.  Giving him something to do helps a little.  Does make me want to make my own pizza.

• Love 2

I'm tired of blow 'em up season ending cliffhangers for this show.

While I thought the episode was okay I really liked the actress who played Sara as I felt her anguish, her pain, her anxiety about solving her mother's murder.  Excellent job by that young woman.  The show may drive me crazy (especially lately) but it's always been good with casting, in my opinion.

• Love 5
(edited)

Haven't seen it yet, but based on comments, It'll probably sit in my dvr queue until next week, so I can watch Abby's last two episodes.  As for what will happen with Abby

According to the interview I posted in the media thread, it doesn't sound like she'll be killed off

, but who knows?

This show is known to kill off all its women agents--Kate, Tiva; even if Abby isn't an agent.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Right there with you!

Reeves is one of my favorite characters on the show. I like that they are finally getting him involved. Although I think this season has been one of the best in a while, I do not appreciate the merry go round of new characters that we've had the past couple of seasons. I would like for there to be one season where nothing changes.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Is NCIS really going to kill off Abby?

Spoiler

I'm posting under the spoiler tag because I think previews count as spoilers.

I really think they might because, as you said, Abby has cast a long presence over the series for a long time.  Some are not in favor of  the fact that many female characters have died, but in Abby's case, this feels very true to what the character would do to me.  Abby has been in favor of charity and being helpful for the entire length of the series.  Without a doubt, I think she would be an organ donor because she would see that as her enduring legacy.  She's on a ventilator in the preview.  She did not die instantly.  That sets the stage for everyone to say good-bye to her.  Clayton also mentioned that she was "an angel" in platform shoes, and he said it twice.  Then, she gets a table at this restaurant---a once-in-a lifetime experience that she at first tried to give to the janitor and his wife.  An act of selflessness, followed by enjoyment, followed by sacrifice.  Didn't she also tell McGee that she loved him on the phone?  That sets up to potentially be the last words that she says to him---two long-standing characters with personal history.  Not a coincidence.  (I don't think.)

Then there's her apartment set.  The team has spent many a moment in the empty apartment of a victim.  I think that's where we're headed here.  She will pass, and either the whole team (or part of the team) will go to her apartment as a way to mourn and honor her.  The audience will lay eyes on the set for the first time.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 4

I don't think Abby will die, but she will recover and decide to take on work with the charity that Reeves was helping.  I think Reeves is killed, and that makes Abby reassess her life.

Having said that, I think the months long hype about Abby's departure has been overblown considering the episode last night.  I found it a bit dull, and the fact that Gibbs immediately took on the case without much more than gut instinct was a little far fetched, IMO.  I also didn't like the Sara character very much either.  I know she was playing a person who has been injured, can't hold a good job, has money problems, and is trying to rear a child, but her attitude was off putting and demanding.  I guess she was trying to do what got attention and it worked.  This season overall has not been one of the best, and I have watched every episode since the series began.     

• Love 7

Can't remember if we can speculate based on previews, so using the spoiler tags...

Spoiler

Reading the description for the next episode, I think I get what they're doing. They had Abby say her goodbyes in this episode. The next episode is an Abby retrospective to celebrate who the character has been all these years.

Will she die? *shrug* Maybe. Or they could put her in WITSEC. Or she could quit because she doesn't want to be a target anymore -- but that would require an ACTUAL scene with Gibbs, and clearly they aren't going there. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I also didn't like the Sara character very much either.

I'm with you on this.  I know that she had a TBI and was a veteran, but the character was still very off-putting.  It was difficult to feel sympathy toward her.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

Can't remember if we can speculate based on previews, so using the spoiler tags...

Some forums don't allow that but it's fine here.

Keep in mind (and this is for everyone) that there's also a speculation thread within the NCIS forum.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

I don't think Abby will die, but she will recover and decide to take on work with the charity that Reeves was helping.  I think Reeves is killed, and that makes Abby reassess her life.

Having said that, I think the months long hype about Abby's departure has been overblown considering the episode last night.  I found it a bit dull, and the fact that Gibbs immediately took on the case without much more than gut instinct was a little far fetched, IMO.  I also didn't like the Sara character very much either.  I know she was playing a person who has been injured, can't hold a good job, has money problems, and is trying to rear a child, but her attitude was off putting and demanding.  I guess she was trying to do what got attention and it worked.  This season overall has not been one of the best, and I have watched every episode since the series began.     

The lack of any story line for Delilah given her disability and the challenges caring for new twins was a big letdown for this season. IMO. Margo Harshman must not have been available or the new producers just dropped her story after the unfortunate death of Gary Glasberg. I sense the Abby only episode next week will be a letdown as well. 

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I hope you are right.  While I thought Ziva's death was unnecessarily convenient (and weird - who goes in a house bomb?), Abby's would just be a complete disservice to the character.

• Love 2

I will be bummed if she dies. I don't like Abby, and frankly she ranks low on the list of characters I care about; HOWEVER she has been there 15 years and I would rather that she CHOOSES to leave, and gets to say proper goodbyes.

• Love 8
(edited)

Concerns for Abby's fate aside, I thought Leon's insistence that the murder case was none of the Navy's business was silly -- NCIS tackles cases involving Navy vets with weaker connections than this all the time.

As for Sara being annoying and unlikable, I'm sure that was intentional. Not all victims (or their advocates) are personable, but they deserve justice just the same, sometimes even in spite of themselves. Besides, this woman has not only been through hell, she's still there.

Sidenote: My favorite guest star so far is Drew Carey in the earlier episode. It fascinates me how actors known for comedy can turn in such unexpectedly moving performances in too rare serious roles.

Edited by Bobbin
Added thoughts.
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

I will be bummed if she dies. I don't like Abby, and frankly she ranks low on the list of characters I care about; HOWEVER she has been there 15 years and I would rather that she CHOOSES to leave, and gets to say proper goodbyes.

Who knows?  We don't yet know (and we might not ever know), but there's the possibility that Abby dying is something that Pauley would choose for Abby, and the writers decided to honor that request.  As sad as it would be,

Spoiler

I still would find it very true to Abby's character for her last act to be an organ donor and help others.

If Abby lives and chooses to leave, it's going to be ridiculous to the point of show-death-knell not to have a parting scene between Abby and Gibbs (in the same room).

If this really is all about MH's dog, it would be unconscionable for Harmon to dig in his heels and not make other arrangements for the dog to film ONE FLIPPIN' SCENE to honor the fans and history of the characters. I'm finding it hard to believe that he would be that stubborn. But maybe he is. Maybe he can be as self-righteous as Gibbs. After all, he draws the character out of himself from somewhere.

I've really gotten tired of Abby in recent years because of the little-girl BS. She was such a boss in the early seasons. She became so infantile and I cringed in most of her scenes for several years. 

But she has a huge fan base, and the relationship of Abby and Gibbs was integral to the show. They've done a poor job covering for the distance between the characters. Whatever the backstage reason is, they haven't done right by the fans.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, valen said:

Based on the preview 

Hide contents

I’m pissed.

NOOO!! Damnit!! NOOO!!!

• Love 2

Didn't they have Gibbs say something to Abby last night over the video phone to the effect of "You know I will always keep you safe"?  With their rumored rift over Harmon's supposedly vicious pit bull and Perrette's objection to it, that seemed to be a little too meta, though possibly code to the fans that the rumor is true but Harmon refutes the need for the rift.  I thought it was strange.  Also, if the rift really is over the dog, that was kind of an asshole-ish line to throw into the episode.  I thought Harmon was better than that, but I've recently learned that many of my heroes are apt to have feet of clay.

7 hours ago, laredhead said:

Having said that, I think the months long hype about Abby's departure has been overblown considering the episode last night.

Has any other character's departure been quite as heralded? One of the things I liked (weirdly) about NCIS is that it killed off its main characters without much warning. So it was shocking and impactful. I am tired, of things (not just on this show) being built up so much that nothing will ever live up to it. For me, it just defeats the purpose.

I'm not a particular fan of the Abby character, so I'm probably alone in not particularly caring one way or another about what happens. Though if we didn't already know she was leaving, I'd pick Reeves over her any day. Unpopular opinion, I know.

I don't pay a lot of attention to rumor, or the personal lives of the actors in the shows I watch. Mostly because it spoils the show for me, because I can't then draw a line between the acting and the person. There are a handful of actors I cannot stand to watch anymore because I used to pay attention, and got to hate them personally. (not just actors, there are some writers whose work I'll never read again) So I stay away from it as much as I can.

3 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Concerns for Abby's fate aside, I thought Leon's insistence that the murder case was none of the Navy's business was silly -- NCIS tackles cases involving Navy vets with weaker connections than this all the time.

As for Sara being annoying and unlikable, I'm sure that was intentional. Not all victims (or their advocates) are personable, but they deserve justice just the same, sometimes even in spite of themselves. Besides, this woman has not only been through hell, she's still there.

Sidenote: My favorite guest star so far is Drew Carey in the earlier episode. It fascinates me how actors known for comedy can turn in such unexpectedly moving performances in too rare serious roles.

I didn't find Sara particularly unlikable - difficult, yes. But I think you are right, it is intentional because even antagonistic victims deserve justice.

• Love 4
(edited)

I didn't find Sara unlikable (but I missed the first few minutes before credits.. was that when people were really turned off?)

I found her desperate, damaged, tragic, and all too real.

It's a sad truth that you often have to be in people's face to get results, and doubly so for many african americans. She was strong and determined in the face of situations she should never have been in at all. She was: Broke. Homeless. A single parent. Suffering from TBI. Without meds or proper medical care. Grieving. Hearing her mother's character trashed. Suffering from PTSD from a variety of factors. She couldn't ask for help without risking losing her child, and she was hanging by a thread without help.

Being LIKED and likable was the least of her worries! Being "difficult" was the only thing that was going to get results. Clearly nothing else had worked for her, had it?

Frankly, I'm astounded that people are finding her "unlikable" or "annoying". I found her heartbreaking,, knowing that this stuff happens every day.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Didn't they have Gibbs say something to Abby last night over the video phone to the effect of "You know I will always keep you safe"?  With their rumored rift over Harmon's supposedly vicious pit bull and Perrette's objection to it, that seemed to be a little too meta, though possibly code to the fans that the rumor is true but Harmon refutes the need for the rift.  I thought it was strange.  Also, if the rift really is over the dog, that was kind of an asshole-ish line to throw into the episode.  I thought Harmon was better than that, but I've recently learned that many of my heroes are apt to have feet of clay.

I don't remember him saying that, but that doesn't mean he didn't.  The reason I would find that strange is because I can't recall any reason Abby would have been in danger last week to prompt such a statement.  But, otherwise, if it fit in the episode, then there's no reason to no put it in there.  And I don't think Mark Harmon actually writes the scripts.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, VinceW said:

The lack of any story line for Delilah given her disability and the challenges caring for new twins was a big letdown for this season. IMO. . 

I have no desire to see this. It has nothing to do with solving military crimes, which is what this show is supposed to be about.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, slothgirl said:

I didn't find Sara unlikable (but I missed the first few minutes before credits.. was that when people were really turned off?)

I found her desperate, damaged, tragic, and all too real.

It's a sad truth that you often have to be in people's face to get results, and doubly so for many african americans. She was strong and determined in the face of situations she should never have been in at all. She was: Broke. Homeless. A single parent. Suffering from TBI. Without meds or proper medical care. Grieving. Hearing her mother's character trashed. Suffering from PTSD from a variety of factors. She couldn't ask for help without risking losing her child, and she was hanging by a thread without help.

Being LIKED and likable was the least of her worries! Being "difficult" was the only thing that was going to get results. Clearly nothing else had worked for her, had it?

Frankly, I'm astounded that people are finding her "unlikable" or "annoying". I found her heartbreaking,, knowing that this stuff happens every day.

Agree with pretty much everything you say.

• Love 1

Seems a bit farfetched that a restaurant with a months long waiting list would be sending out random email invitations. Abby was stupid to click on the message while she was using a government computer as that sounds like the something the Russkies would send to install malware. If she survives she can probably get a job with the DNC next.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Rambler said:

Seems a bit farfetched that a restaurant with a months long waiting list would be sending out random email invitations. Abby was stupid to click on the message while she was using a government computer as that sounds like the something the Russkies would send to install malware. If she survives she can probably get a job with the DNC next.

I am wondering if it will turn out that the guy that shoots her set her up with the free email invitation - either her or NCIS - and there is more to the story than a random act of violence.  

• Love 5
8 hours ago, labresq said:

I am wondering if it will turn out that the guy that shoots her set her up with the free email invitation - either her or NCIS - and there is more to the story than a random act of violence.  

That would make sense.  Explains how some random business would just randomly send her an email straight to her NCIS account, and why a random offer would be non-transferrable, and why such a busy place would need to give away free meals to random people.  But, that would also mean that the planning took place a long tiem ago since there was apparently a months long waiting list.  And, if whoever planned it was willing to wait that long, why leave an electronic trail when you could just wait outside her apartment for weeks until you happen to catch her and you could mug her then.?

• Love 2
(edited)

The case of the week was ok. It gave the show an opportunity to highlight veterans issues. Never a bad thing. Vance being annoyed about the whole thing was unneeded. 

However, we saw promos all week about Abby leaving.  What do we get- a rip-off of Penelope Garcia being shot at the end of an episode. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/2/2018 at 7:00 PM, eel2178 said:

I have no desire to see this. It has nothing to do with solving military crimes, which is what this show is supposed to be about.

ON 5/2/2018 AT 1:16 PM, VINCEW SAID:

The lack of any story line for Delilah given her disability and the challenges caring for new twins was a big letdown for this season. IMO.

Delilah has been a recurring character since season 11. She works for the Defense Intelligence Agency as a computer specialist. She works with NCIS as consultant on military crimes and tracking serial killers as well as terrorist attacks when requested by director Vance or Gibbs. Her paralysis was the vision of now deceased show runner Glasberg.

Some early examples:

11x12  Kill Chain -  “When a stolen drone is linked to the elusive terrorist Parsa, the NCIS team partners with the Department of Defense, to track down the device before it is used for a large scale attack”.

11x20  Page Not Found - “After returning to her job at the Department of Defense after her injury, McGee's girlfriend Delilah finds a break in a controversial case, prompting her to turn to the NCIS team for help”.

12x18 Status Update -  "After the body of a thief is found in a Marine's house, NCIS discovers the calling card of a terror group that Delilah and the Department of Defense have been tracking".

13x6  Viral -  "When a petty officer's murder matches the M.O. of a local serial killer, the NCIS team must determine if this is the killer's latest victim or the work of a copycat". Margo Harshman (Delilah) guest stars.

She has good chemistry with Gibbs, Abby, Bishop and Reeves. It is puzzling why she has been absent from any follow on episodes after the twin births early this season given the writer emphasis on McGee home life after the rushed wedding at the end of last season.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

I think it was in the preview, when he was at her bedside in the hospital.

That's right, and I don't think what Gibbs said was a callback to anything this season.  It was much earlier----specifically "Bloodbath" (Season 3) in which Gibbs told Abby he would keep her safe when she was being stalked.  IIRC, he said it to her as the two of them sat together in the elevator.  If the wording from the preview wasn't verbatim, it was pretty close to that.  Anyway, the sentiment was the same.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ohmo said:

That's right, and I don't think what Gibbs said was a callback to anything this season.  It was much earlier----specifically "Bloodbath" (Season 3) in which Gibbs told Abby he would keep her safe when she was being stalked.  IIRC, he said it to her as the two of them sat together in the elevator.  If the wording from the preview wasn't verbatim, it was pretty close to that.  Anyway, the sentiment was the same.

*snort* How much you want to bet it's filmed in a way where a stand-in could be used and both actors are never clearly in the shot at the same time?

Too little too late for me. I wouldn't believe the scene now even if they spent the whole episode canoodling.

• Love 6
(edited)

OH hell no if Reeves dies and Abby then takes over his charity work. I stayed with this show because of the characters and their wonderful chemistry, so if Abby and Reeves are gone I may finally be done.

I didn’t have a problem with Sarah until she started getting pissy with Gibbs. I get that her mom wasn’t a druggie but they were helping her and doing their job. I’m glad she decided to go to the home- her son was so sweet.

Its heartbreaking what happens to these veterans once they come home and lose their jobs because of injuries or PTSD. After the billions spent on military equipment, the billion dollar companies get rich while these veterans are forgotten. <off of soapbox-sorry>

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Abby's skillset is far more developed than what is required to help at a charity.  Not that they don't do good work, but she invents ways to solve crimes. The only realistic way for her to go is to die.  She is not a coward so wouldn't be a good candidate for witsec.  If Tony had gone to Ireland or Spain to run his own team and called to say he had an opening for a forensic specialist, they could have written her off as going to see Tony and have an adventure!  Alas, Tony's skills as an investigator are probably rusty by now.  Sigh.

• Love 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Goldmoon said:

Abby's skillset is far more developed than what is required to help at a charity.  Not that they don't do good work, but she invents ways to solve crimes. The only realistic way for her to go is to die.  She is not a coward so wouldn't be a good candidate for witsec.  If Tony had gone to Ireland or Spain to run his own team and called to say he had an opening for a forensic specialist, they could have written her off as going to see Tony and have an adventure!  Alas, Tony's skills as an investigator are probably rusty by now.  Sigh.

People often leave behind skills from one career to start another. They sometimes even leave behind passions to focus on another. Abby's always had TWO passions, not just one... her passion for forensic science and her passion for helping people and animals. There was a point in the show after one of the MANY deaths of loved characters, where Abby was barely hanging on because she no longer felt that anything she was doing was making a difference. People still died. I can easily see her deciding that she needs to move on to a role in the world where she feels she IS making a difference. If Reeves (or anyone else) dies, she's exactly the person who would say "I'm done with this... I can't take any more death". If Reeves dies because she got all touchy-feely counselor with the mugger instead of complying and letting him go his way, she's REALLY going to be in self-hatred mode.

And then of course, there's the "we can't write female characters very well, and we've left Abby back in childhood" factor. Even if it wasn't realistic for her to leave (and I disagree that it would be unrealistic), there's no reason to think that her departure would be realistic or even true to the character on this show. The character itself wasn't true to character as the years went on. It seems we were finally getting back an Abby from the first few seasons,but it's too late.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, VinceW said:

Delilah has been a recurring character since season 11. She works for the Defense Intelligence Agency as a computer specialist. She works with NCIS as consultant on military crimes and tracking serial killers as well as terrorist attacks when requested by director Vance or Gibbs. Her paralysis was the vision of now deceased show runner Glasberg.

If Delilah is going to be used in a capacity to help solve crimes, I'm fine with her presence. What I don't want to see is a "Woe is me! I'm the disabled mother of twins" story. 

Edited by eel2178
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

If Delilah is going to be used in a capacity to help solve crimes, I'm fine with her presence. What I don't want to see is a "Whoa is me! I'm the disabled mother of twins" story. 

Delilah has never been the "woe is me" type. I can't see her character going that way now.

• Love 5