Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E00: Reunion Part 1

For the first time in a decade, the designers, carpenters and host Paige Davis of "Trading Spaces" reunite for a special reunion; greatest moments on "Trading Spaces" and surprises that leave some designers in tears.

Hildi's crazy walls! forgot about the plastic flower one-had to be he!! to clean 

I wish Andrew Dan-Jumbo was back though, I guess he's doing other shows.

• Love 1

I've enjoyed catching up with the designers especially after binge watching Trading Spaces these past few weeks. 

The styles in most of the rooms are incredibly dated but I did agree with the point made about how kids really watched the shows because it aired after school. I think I was a junior in high school when it first aired and I remember watching after school and being a dedicated viewer for at least 4 years. I always had a girl crush on Amy Wynn- the clip of her cussing out Hildy over the air gun was great!

• Love 4
(edited)

I loved seeing that the white room guys left the room to carry on with their planned viewing party and aren't bitter. And I'm glad they have a room they love now. They were the only homeowners I ever felt sorry for and I'm glad to see they were okay in the end.

It was good to see a reunion that was just fun and no drama!

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 12

I appreciate the gaudiness and stupid choices the designers made back then because I feel after watching House Hunters and a lot of design shows now, people are way too rigid in what they want in a home. Not that I ever WANT plastic flowers on the wall.

12 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I loved seeing that the white room guys left the room to carry on with their planned viewing party and aren't bitter.

The way I see it, they had probably the easiest room to do over post makeover because it was a stark canvas. 

• Love 16

The thing that struck me was when Doug (? was it doug who said it?) that they wanted to make a great space for the homeowners but really, especially with Hildi, it seemed like they wanted to wank to their own creativity and designs. Sorry for that image. But no one puts straw, feathers, or flowers on a wall like that expecting a homeowner to actually love it. Or putting the furniture on the farking ceiling because "the room was so small". The ceiling is EXACTLY the same size as the room, dumbarse. And I remember one where the homeowner had a foot phobia and Doug put a triptych of a foot on the wall. It was one giant "what is the most crazy thing I can do to this room" that is the exact opposite of what the homeowner would want.

Carter still looks GOOOOOD. Rowr!

• Love 22

I loved Doug's reaction to the Prisoner of Love room rehash, when he saw the toilet bench and was like "what was I thinking".  And he was right, w/o those toilets and the solitary confinement area (? not sure if I got that right) the room was pretty nice.  I also loved when someone asked who was he dating at the time to make that room and his answer was "Obviously no one!  Who would date that?"

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

Frank lost his three year old daughter, Melissa, to a drunk driver.  He really has a soft spot for children.

Good Lord that's awful! 

I mean, I have no clue why he would hold such an emotional to attachment to some random girl he painted on a wall 10+ years ago. Enough of an attachment that the show decided to bring this now teen-aged girl out to meet him. Unless he's been involved with this family more deeply than that one episode. Still, I was a mess. Crying right along with him. I cry easily obviously. 

• Love 7

I loved the reunion hour and would have been perfectly happy with an hour more of follow-up/where are they now like they did with the white room homeowners. I would assume Brown Jessie made her husband repaint their room before he was allowed back in the house to live and also that Crying Pam's husband did turn their fireplace façade into firewood like he said they would. But I had completely forgotten about Hildi's wall-to-wall CD room and I wonder how long it took until those were taken down, and the feathers, and the straw. 

So happy that Amy Wynn was back and wow, the majority of these people look exactly the same as they did fifteen years ago.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

the majority of these people look exactly the same as they did fifteen years ago.

Only Ty looks like he aged (looks good though). I mean, ten-fifteen years when you go from your 20's to 30's usually doesn't make a big difference. But going from 30's to 40's and 40's to 50's usually does! Even Frank hasn't changed! 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Only Ty looks like he aged (looks good though). I mean, ten-fifteen years when you go from your 20's to 30's usually doesn't make a big difference. But going from 30's to 40's and 40's to 50's usually does! Even Frank hasn't changed! 

Yes, Ty looks like he aged and Doug has a little more gray in his hair, maybe. You could say that Amy Wynn looks older. But Hildi looks the same and Frank too. And Frank was old(er) when the show started!

• Love 5

Who are you kidding.....Vern looks like he has aged 25 years, Laurie also looks different.   Ty has been in the sun too much, but that was evident back then. They all look good, but they do look as if they have aged, which is not a bad thing! 

• Love 6
(edited)

I liked Ty reminiscing about running into a group of biker dudes who loved the show.

My favorite reaction was Doug, in the “sometimes you got really creative” segment, leaning forward trying to figure out which room of his it was, and then the laugh when he realized it was the “prison of love” room.  (The homeowner’s reaction to that was hilarious, too; I’d forgotten about that.)

Seeing the guys who got Doug’s white room have such a good attitude about the show was nice (and I love that they kept that art piece up for years – and really love them telling Doug no, no one at their reveal party liked the room, either).  The bad reveals segment was interesting, because some of them you can look at the room and say, well, of course, they hated it, and then some it’s hard to imagine someone being disappointed, let alone truly mad about them.

Amy Wynn yanking the air hose out of Hildi’s hands and snapping like hell about holding the shelves over their heads was great, as was both of them reacting to it in real time, like don’t make a thing out of this – here’s what was happening, no big deal.

Unless Frank developed an ongoing connection with the family for whom he did the mural of the little girl, I do not understand why they attempted to make hay out of that (no pun about Hildi's room intended).  It did nothing for me to have her appear, although it was a nice callback to Genevieve talking about how great it was to hear from people inspired to become designers/decorators after seeing the show.  The way the host introduced that, I expected it to be that the girl he'd drawn was expected to die by five and was still alive and well or something.  But nope; she was a kid whose parents he designed a room for, her drew her on the wall, and now she's a teenager.  Whoop-de-fucking-do.  Why not just announce you couldn't get anyone else to appear?

They teased an introduction of the new designers, including them getting advice from the OGs, but that wasn’t included.  I wanted to see that, because I recognize one of them from somewhere but have no idea where, and I wanted to learn her name so I can look her up.  I guess between that not happening and this thread now designating part one, there's a part two that's still to come.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Genevieve’s face doesn’t move much anymore.

I don't understand this - she's a beautiful woman with a youthful look that would have carried her through decades. She was always so expressive. She's still beautiful but now she looks a bit ticked off.

I think overall the entire crew looks phenomenal. And I never realized how much Amy Wynn reminds me of Heather Thomson from RHNY.

25 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I loved the reunion hour and would have been perfectly happy with an hour more of follow-up/where are they now like they did with the white room homeowners.

Me too. Don't forget they've got a part 2 airing next week!

• Love 4

I managed to see some of the old shows today and caught 'crying Pam.' Now that some years have passed and I actually see what Doug did (as opposed to just Pam crying), I don't think it was that bad. It was a different look, but that's what he does. I love the kind of fireplace they had originally and can see why Pam didn't want it changed, but it wasn't awful.

I thought Doug was up to his old tricks with the burlap, but the room didn't look bad on camera. Not sure how good the burlap walls looked in person - I think I'd want that kind up thing put up by professionals -  but the sister seemed to like the room. Doug strikes me as the kind of decorator who wants to see his vision (he as much said so in reference to the white room), rather than work with what the client wants. I don't think he's terrible, but I'd never hire him.

Count me as another with teary eyes over Frank. 

• Love 4

I thought Amy Wynn was not coming back so I was very happy to see her.

Does the host not have a mirror or is she color-blind? I have rosacea and I am not sure why anyone would choose to make themselves up to look like they have selective rosacea on their cheekbones.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I appreciate the gaudiness and stupid choices the designers made back then because I feel after watching House Hunters and a lot of design shows now, people are way too rigid in what they want in a home. Not that I ever WANT plastic flowers on the wall.

The way I see it, they had probably the easiest room to do over post makeover because it was a stark canvas. 

Jeez Louise. They had spent months stripping the windows. The had to do that ag ain along with the mantle. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I was hoping to see Alex McLeod.  I may be the only person who preferred her to Paige.  

I'm with you. Wasn't Teresa Strasser (whom I also like better than Paige) a TS host?  Or am I thinking of another home show?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MsTree said:

I'm with you. Wasn't Teresa Strasser (whom I also like better than Paige) a TS host?  Or am I thinking of another home show?

She was on the decorating show While You Were Out.  I like her, too.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I loved seeing that the white room guys left the room to carry on with their planned viewing party and aren't bitter. And I'm glad they have a room they love now. They were the only homeowners I ever felt sorry for and I'm glad to see they were okay in the end.

I hated what Doug did to that lovely, enthusiastic couple who were huge fans of the show. I've never been a fan of his and this tipped me over into full blown detestation. I can't stand how he acts like he's this lovable scamp, meanwhile he can barely mask his contempt for the plebes who don't get his vision. Taking everything in that beautiful room and pouring white paint on it was not "design". I can't believe how exercised I still get over it! Doug's a jerk. I like Hildi better than him. She's crazy but at least she's cheerful. 

10 hours ago, xls said:

Hildi's crazy walls! forgot about the plastic flower one-had to be he!! to clean 

I wish Andrew Dan-Jumbo was back though, I guess he's doing other shows.

Andrew Dan-Jumbo was on While You Were Out. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

I'm glad I am not alone, ha ha!  I was on the train from the beginning, not when it got so "big."  But then again, I adored Changing Rooms.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

They teased an introduction of the new designers, including them getting advice from the OGs, but that wasn’t included.  I wanted to see that, because I recognize one of them from somewhere but have no idea where, and I wanted to learn her name so I can look her up.  I guess between that not happening and this thread now designating part one, there's a part two that's still to come.

Yes, part 2 is this Saturday. They have TS scheduled for a 2 hour block with part 2 of the reunion first again.

Did anyone watch Nate and Jeremiah after and see who the designers were for this week?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I'm glad I am not alone, ha ha!  I was on the train from the beginning, not when it got so "big."  But then again, I adored Changing Rooms.

I LOVED Changing Rooms and the landscaping show with Alan Somebody ---I realize that I can't remember names very well any more,  unfortunately.  I even saved one VCR tape with their shows on it that I watched about a month ago. Good Times. Wish I would have saved ALL my tapes of those shows and Christopher Lowell.  And maybe one Matt and Laurie just for laughs. 

I liked Edward of TS too cuz he seemed like he gave no fux, but want mean-spirited like Doug. 

• Love 2

Every one aged pretty well.  The only person who looks notbso great is Ty, the rest barely look older and some like Hildi look almost exactly same.  Everyone is still pretty fit overall no one really chunked as you expect when people are no longer on tv.

I am interested to see if Frank’s style has modernized as his would be the most out of date if he did still did the the folk art stuff.  Maybe he moved to reclaimed wood, log work, etc.  Crafty things are still in style but usually coupled with really streamlined stuff so chrome legs with a log top, etc.

I watched Gen’s show about her own place and it was really uniquely styled but very nice.  I personally redecorate my home as styles change so I am okay with something like a funky tile backsplash as I have no issue taking it out in a few years.

• Love 2

I liked how they just rushed right past the fact that Hildi almost maimed her homeowners because she thought she was smarter than Amy and hotglued the plates on that upside down table. Any one of them could've gotten a serious knock on the head or glass shards in their eyes.

• Love 12

Ty is still a prick, talking over people and asserting himself like he is the know all of interviews and production. Looks like he switched out the pukka shell choker for a longer, neon green bro-necklace.

He and Hildi sitting next to each other were a good match. 

With her hair so straight and flat, Paige reminded me of someone who has been on a show recently. I can't put my finger on it, but I'll get there.

Doug definitely has a mean streak. When they brought on the white room couple and he said "do I have to (speak to them)?" there was a nastiness about his tone. And then the couple was so genuine and so pleased to see them. It made him look really bad.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

Paige reminded me of someone who has been on a show recently. I can't put my finger on it, but I'll get there.

Constance Zimmer?  That's who I thought she looked like.

constance-zimmer-unreal-620x360.jpg

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Constance Zimmer?  That's who I thought she looked like.

constance-zimmer-unreal-620x360.jpg

YASSSSS! And I've been watching UnReal lately...so the flat-iron flickness of both their hair is similar. Like, it's flat, and it is somehow flippy or bouncy or...something.

Well, I guess there are some things that can't be put into words. Or that *I* cannot put into words. Leave it at that.

To continue with observations, Frank still seems lovely. And I love his modest assertion that he's NOT A DESIGNER. If I were to go on this show (which I absolutely would not), I would hope to get him. 

• Love 1

I saw the episode with the sarape pattern on the ceiling of the kitchen and was like "oh my god, hideous!" but the homewoners loved it. And when it was done, I didn't 100% hate it but I definitely wouldn't have wanted it in my kitchen. Well, not that exact pattern. If I had the cove ceiling, I could see doing something fun up there. So I think Frank is good at reading people and trends and finding something a bit quirky that is still somehow appealing to the people who will have to live there. Better than Doug's Prison of Love and Hildi's everything where is was clearly all about them and whatever stupid thing they wanted to do, damn the homeowners.

• Love 7
(edited)
14 hours ago, MaKaM said:

The thing that struck me was when Doug (? was it doug who said it?) that they wanted to make a great space for the homeowners but really, especially with Hildi, it seemed like they wanted to wank to their own creativity and designs. Sorry for that image. But no one puts straw, feathers, or flowers on a wall like that expecting a homeowner to actually love it. Or putting the furniture on the farking ceiling because "the room was so small". The ceiling is EXACTLY the same size as the room, dumbarse. And I remember one where the homeowner had a foot phobia and Doug put a triptych of a foot on the wall. It was one giant "what is the most crazy thing I can do to this room" that is the exact opposite of what the homeowner would want.

Carter still looks GOOOOOD. Rowr!

I believe the designers come into the episode, after having been privy to the dimension of the room etc., with a design in mind. They've probably already purchased a lot, if not all, of the materials they'll need so they're a bit pigeon holed.

...They teased an introduction of the new designers, including them getting advice from the OGs, but that wasn’t included.  I wanted to see that, because I recognize one of them from somewhere but have no idea where, and I wanted to learn her name so I can look her up...

Joanie, one of the new carpenters, was a finalist (came in second) on Season 6 of America's Next Top Model some years ago.

I think they all look good. I'm not necessarily fond of Hildi but she looks incredible!  Sure, Ty, Vern, and Doug appear older but...they are! Frank looks exactly the same. I hate to be shallow but I don't like Paige's hair style. Well, it's not the style that bothers me so much...it's the length.  It does nothing for her pretty face.

I totally forgot Alex McLeod was the original host of Trading Spaces.  Now that I think about it, I DID like her.  Thanks for the reminder.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, tinderbox said:

I believe the designers come into the episode, after having been privy to the dimension of the room etc., with a design in mind. They've probably already purchased a lot, if not all, of the materials they'll need so they're a bit pigeon holed.

Well, yeah, clearly they are given some initial information to do some pre-sourcing of materials but the consistency of choosing something that was the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the homeowners wanted was too frequent to be coincidental that they almost have to be given at least something of a hint of what the people hate--and then be determined to "make them love it anyway". Otherwise, they were seriously unlucky in picking foot artwork and clipping your toenails in the living room of the one family on the show who ever said they hated feet (I'm remembering that one correctly, right? It feels burned in my brain 15 years later). And, when you decide to put furniture on the ceiling, the wants and needs of the "client" are nowhere in your thought process.

• Love 7

The designers are working for the production company and network, not the homeowners.  I can't blame for the "drama".  Yes, some were more willing to do it, and Doug and Hilde in particular had no problem with it (or less of a problem), so the producers would go to them with some of the whacky ideas.  I know I saw a behind the scenes type show late in the initial run, or shortly after it ended, where they said the black and white rooms were the producers ideas.  So I was surprised when that didn't come up this time, but with the show starting again maybe they're playing into the illusion again.  That doesn't mean all the crazy stuff, like the toilets from Doug and hay from Hilde are producer ideas, but the producers did egg them on...  a lot.

• Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

The designers are working for the production company and network, not the homeowners.  I can't blame for the "drama".  Yes, some were more willing to do it, and Doug and Hilde in particular had no problem with it (or less of a problem), so the producers would go to them with some of the whacky ideas.  I know I saw a behind the scenes type show late in the initial run, or shortly after it ended, where they said the black and white rooms were the producers ideas.  So I was surprised when that didn't come up this time, but with the show starting again maybe they're playing into the illusion again.  That doesn't mean all the crazy stuff, like the toilets from Doug and hay from Hilde are producer ideas, but the producers did egg them on...  a lot.

Yep.  This show is for entertainment through decor.  Nate and Jeremiah do serious, good design.  TS remains exactly the same.  I am glad it's back though and this time I will sit back and enjoy the nonsense.  I will have a stiff whiskey when Laurie is on, she annoys the fuck out of me.  Not sure how many fall color schemes I can manage either.    

Everyone looked good and younger than I expected.  Frank is EXACTLY the same. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2

I was not a fan of Frank’s designs - too country-cozy - but damn if everyone doesn’t seem to love the guy. I read an interview of Amy Wynn in which she said he was her favorite designer to work with. 

I too love Amy Wynn - so talented and always maintained her calm - glad to see her, hope she does some episodes.

• Love 19
41 minutes ago, Wings said:

Yep.  This show is for entertainment through decor.  Nate and Jeremiah do serious, good design.  TS remains exactly the same.  I am glad it's back though and this time I will sit back and enjoy the nonsense.  I will have a stiff whiskey when Laurie is on, she annoys the fuck out of me.  Not sure how many fall color schemes I can manage either.   

Yeah, and I get that entertainment/money/ad space is key, but the constant drama is what made the show unwatchable eventually. The constant need to 1 up the craziness. The "what is Hildi going to stick to the walls next...feathers. Super." got boring after a while. A constant diet of drama is just as tedious as constant gray-and-white neutral schemes. House Hunters Renovation does a pretty good job of balancing current trendiness with some interesting personal/designer touches (though regular House Hunters is falling into boring with the constant "wife requires a victorian but husband wants a mid-century modern!" "she wants a pool, but he hates them!" and "it is our first house and we want to be in the city, close to the action but we don't want close neighbors and our budget is tiny" junk). It would be nice if Trading Spaces could find this balance. For instance, I'd love for them to come do my mom's bathroom and work the harvest gold tub and toilet into an interesting and more updated design. Or show me how to work with natural wood trim without painting it all white and having a $50,000 renovation budget.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, MaKaM said:

Yeah, and I get that entertainment/money/ad space is key, but the constant drama is what made the show unwatchable eventually. The constant need to 1 up the craziness. The "what is Hildi going to stick to the walls next...feathers. Super." got boring after a while. A constant diet of drama is just as tedious as constant gray-and-white neutral schemes. House Hunters Renovation does a pretty good job of balancing current trendiness with some interesting personal/designer touches (though regular House Hunters is falling into boring with the constant "wife requires a victorian but husband wants a mid-century modern!" "she wants a pool, but he hates them!" and "it is our first house and we want to be in the city, close to the action but we don't want close neighbors and our budget is tiny" junk). It would be nice if Trading Spaces could find this balance. For instance, I'd love for them to come do my mom's bathroom and work the harvest gold tub and toilet into an interesting and more updated design. Or show me how to work with natural wood trim without painting it all white and having a $50,000 renovation budget.

There is a need for a renovation show with a 10k budget so more viewers could identify; clearly the needs of the homeowners would be smaller in scope.   I stopped watching house hunters when I found out they have to have already bought the house making the hunt for one a sham. 

• Love 4

I was surprised to see Amy Wynn on the reunion since she's not on the new season.  Maybe she'll at least pop up in a special episode (she should be Ty and Carter's carpenter).

Hildi's hay and flower walls get all the attention, but I forgot about that CD room which as equally bad.  That think could induce seizures.  I also forgot the feather room. While the feathers are completely impractical, the room actually looked elegant.  I'e realized that if Hildi were a clothing designer, she's win every avant garde challenge on Project Runway.  Unlike Doug, she does do this wacky shit to be an ass.  Just like an avant garde piece of clothing, she's designing for design sake, not for functionality or practicality.  

I though the reunion overall was awkward.  They talked about how they were all friends and went through the fire together, but none of them seem to have a connection to the others, except Paige, Amy and Frank.  The rest had about as much interaction and warmth as you would expect with someone you worked with a decade ago.   Making Doug and Hildi watch their bad reveals was awkward.  Hildi was pretty much stone-faced and Doug was basically "whatever, bitches".  Springing the white room couple on Doug was awkward.  He was clearly ready with his "I'm not going to defend myself to the likes of you" attitude and then the guys were all super cool.  And it was super-awkward when they sprung that girl on Frank.   Even he had a WTF look on his face.  

• Love 6

Seeing Frank and Hildi sitting next to each other on the couch got me wondering if they had ever worked together on one of Hildi's infamous episodes. You could tell Frank was one of the designers that often bonded with his homeowners and for the most part wanted them to be happy with the experience and with their rooms and I wondered what he might have privately thought about what Hildi's homeowners felt when they ended up with wall-to-wall CDs or sand on their floor or feathers/hay/flowers all over their walls. 

13 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I though the reunion overall was awkward.  They talked about how they were all friends and went through the fire together, but none of them seem to have a connection to the others, except Paige, Amy and Frank.  The rest had about as much interaction and warmth as you would expect with someone you worked with a decade ago. 

Paige is understandable because as the host she was the only one to work with all the designers and all the carpenters multiple times over the years. Frank and Amy got along with everyone. I do wonder who out of all of them, or what groupings of people, kept in touch over the years. Doug and Hildi seemed the most removed like they didn't keep in touch, and so did Laurie, oddly enough. I don't remember when Carter came into the fold so I'm not sure how much time he had with these people versus Ty and Amy. 

Vern and Genevieve did HGTV shows and were on that Next Design Star (I think they both were on it). No one picked up a Doug or a Hildi show despite all the showboating and TV drama they brought. Maybe they think this is their second chance to get a Crazy Spaces TV show of their own.