Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Other sports, soccer in particular, are usually terrible on-screen because the sport itself doesn't work when viewed from an individual's point of view. It's too fast-paced and really shouldn't focus on any one player for more than a few seconds at a time.

I think it depends on how you do it, though.  Both Miracle and Hoosiers did a great job making us not only care about the characters, but they also captured the intensity of the games, especially the final ones, even though we all knew how it turned out.  I lived through the Olympic hockey games (but didn't watch them--I just remember the excitement and seeing the stories on the news) and I was still tense at the end.

• Love 3
(edited)

I know I’ve said this before, but I don’t give a shit about Black Widow, and as far as I’m concerned the MCU squandered the opportunity give her own movie 10 years ago.

Yes, I also don’t care for ScarJo either.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I know I’ve said this before, but I don’t give a shit about Black Widow, and as far as I’m concerned the MCU squandered the opportunity give her own movie 10 years ago.

Yes, I also don’t care for ScarJo either.

I find it hilarious how Florence Pugh just effortlessly outacts ScarJo in the trailer. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'll watch the movie because so far, I have yet to be disappointed in a Marvel movie, but yeah, I'd have been more excited about it if it had come out a number of years ago.

Another Marvel UO:  Peter Quill isn't the only one to blame for not defeating Thanos the first time. Not only were there people in other groups who messed up, but Peter wasn't even the only offender on Titan.  I'll give a little leeway to Wanda and that group because I don't know if I could kill someone I loved, even if it was for the greater good (which, btw, is something that Peter was willing to do and actually pulled the trigger).  But, they could have told Shuri that if the invaders got too close, to just do zap Vision. I'm sure she had the means to do so.  There are others that could have made a difference, as well, so I'm not going to dump all over Peter for "screwing things up".

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I hate comic book/superhero movies and wish they would stop making them for awhile.

That's fair enough. I think that eventually the market will subside. We'll hit peak superhero movie. See westerns, for example. Something newer and shinier will come along. I don't know when or what, but it will happen.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Another Marvel UO:  Peter Quill isn't the only one to blame for not defeating Thanos the first time. Not only were there people in other groups who messed up, but Peter wasn't even the only offender on Titan.  I'll give a little leeway to Wanda and that group because I don't know if I could kill someone I loved, even if it was for the greater good (which, btw, is something that Peter was willing to do and actually pulled the trigger).  But, they could have told Shuri that if the invaders got too close, to just do zap Vision. I'm sure she had the means to do so.  There are others that could have made a difference, as well, so I'm not going to dump all over Peter for "screwing things up".

Fair enough. I think that fucker Ross deserves a lot of the blame for making the Avengers fugitives over the Civil War crap and refusing to heed their warnings about Thanos. And even after all the shit he did to them and being of ZERO HELP WHATSOEVER, he STILL gets to come to Tony’s funeral like they’re suddenly friends?!? I’ll never forgive the MCU for that injustice.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I'll watch the movie because so far, I have yet to be disappointed in a Marvel movie, but yeah, I'd have been more excited about it if it had come out a number of years ago.

I'm really interested to see what Florence Pugh does, both here and in general. Midsommar was the kind of thing I wouldn't normally have watched, but Pugh was just riveting as a character descending slowly into madness. I just hope she's ready for everything the franchise and the fandom entails.

• Love 7

Fair enough. I think that fucker Ross deserves a lot of the blame for making the Avengers fugitives over the Civil War crap and refusing to heed their warnings about Thanos. And even after all the shit he did to them and being of ZERO HELP WHATSOEVER, he STILL gets to come to Tony’s funeral like they’re suddenly friends?!?

Well, at least Tony and his group were on on his "good side"...

I'm really interested to see what Florence Pugh does, both here and in general.

Maybe this is her tryout for taking over the Black Widow role moving forward?

I'm getting sick of fake accents. Among Black Widow's problems, four fake Russians. There was a genuine Ukrainian in the cast, who never got to actually say anything. What a waste. Why not hire actual Russian, or at least Eastern European, actors? They'd probably love the chance to play heroes in the MCU.

On the bright side, no one laid it on as heavily and terribly as Mickey Rourke in Iron Man 2.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I'm getting sick of fake accents. Among Black Widow's problems, four fake Russians. There was a genuine Ukrainian in the cast, who never got to actually say anything. What a waste. Why not hire actual Russian, or at least Eastern European, actors? They'd probably love the chance to play heroes in the MCU.

Why even have accents? If we assume that they talk Russian among themselves and we hear it as English, they shouldn't have accents at all. (I haven't seen the movie yet, so apologies if that is not the case, but that's what I assumed). I was rolling my eyes from those accents the entire trailer and it honestly put me off from watching.

17 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Why even have accents? If we assume that they talk Russian among themselves and we hear it as English, they shouldn't have accents at all. (I haven't seen the movie yet, so apologies if that is not the case, but that's what I assumed). I was rolling my eyes from those accents the entire trailer and it honestly put me off from watching.

Plus you would think Russian super spies would have been taught to speak English without any accent at all. Although generally I don't care about bad accents (or incorrect ones) since I am already suspending belief that they aren't speaking their own language. Although I do respect the Black Widow movie for using more subtitles than I was expecting for a big super hero movie.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Why even have accents? If we assume that they talk Russian among themselves and we hear it as English, they shouldn't have accents at all.

I think that's what they did in Amadeus.  All, if not most, of the principle cast was English speaking.  And the movie from what I remember is all in English.  It is assumed that even though the film is in English, the members of the audience are native German speakers and they simply understand the language spoken in the film as their native tounge. Therefore,  anyone portraying a native German speaker (Tom Hulce as Mozart, for example) spoke in their regular voice because that's how a native speaker would have heard it.  F Murray Abraham, who played Salieri, spoke in an Italian accent because to the assumed audience, that's a foreign accent.

I hope I explained that well.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

I think that's what they did in Amadeus.  All, if not most, of the principle cast was English speaking.  And the movie from what I remember is all in English.  It is assumed that even though the film is in English, the members of the audience are native German speakers and they simply understand the language spoken in the film as their native tounge. Therefore,  anyone portraying a native German speaker (Tom Hulce as Mozart, for example) spoke in their regular voice because that's how a native speaker would have heard it.  F Murray Abraham, who played Salieri, spoke in an Italian accent because to the assumed audience, that's a foreign accent.

I hope I explained that well.

The Chernobyl miniseries did the same thing. The lead actor was Jared Harris playing a real life Russian scientist, but using his own British accent. The show creator said he just decided to get the best actors he could since really anyone speaking English in the show wouldn't have made sense anyways. It's like The Hunt for Red October. Sean Connery playing a Russian Navy captain with a Scottish accent is kind of weird, but anyone speaking English in a Russian submarine is way more weird so the accent doesn't really make much difference by comparison. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 6/1/2021 at 10:20 PM, Hiyo said:

I just find most of his movies to be just too twee and a half.

West Anderson:  while  I personally love most of his films. I admit, I think he's an acquired taste.  So  with friends who can't deal with the  overdose of twee I have no response, IOW, I can't look down at them for not liking Anderson, because I think the criticisms are legit.  His films are too precious and quirky for their own good.

• Love 2
On 7/14/2021 at 7:42 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

The Chernobyl miniseries did the same thing. The lead actor was Jared Harris playing a real life Russian scientist, but using his own British accent. The show creator said he just decided to get the best actors he could since really anyone speaking English in the show wouldn't have made sense anyways. It's like The Hunt for Red October. Sean Connery playing a Russian Navy captain with a Scottish accent is kind of weird, but anyone speaking English in a Russian submarine is way more weird so the accent doesn't really make much difference by comparison. 

I get movies with a mostly English-speaking release/marketing having non-English speaking characters speak in English among each other so the presumed audience can understand them.

However, I dislike it when movies are inconsistent on  the characters' linguistic choice. In The Last Emperor (1987), the title character Pu-Yi, his immediate family, court officials and folks directly addressing him all spoke in English (albeit often Chinese-accented English). However all songs, chants and crowd scenes have folks speaking in Chinese! There's one scene in which a Cultural Revolution mob are screaming slogans in Chinese but when the elderly Pu-Yi asks one of them what's happening, the man addresses him in English!  I  don't get this at all since all Chinese folks surrounding Pu-Yi would have spoken, sang and chanted in Chinese regardless of whether they directly addressed him so IMO either they should have had the entire cast speak Chinese with English subtitles OR had the entire cast speak in English with the audience (hopefully) understanding that they actually would have been speaking in Chinese but it was for our benefit that English was being spoken. 

I get movies with a mostly English-speaking release/marketing having non-English speaking characters speak in English among each other so the presumed audience can understand them.

Love how movies taking place in the time of ancient Greeks have them speaking English with a British-English accent. Instead of a Greek accent.

• Love 5
On 7/16/2021 at 4:06 PM, Hiyo said:

Love how movies taking place in the time of ancient Greeks have them speaking English with a British-English accent. Instead of a Greek accent.

But would an ancient Greek person, if they spoke English speak it with a modern Greek accent? Wouldn't that be like in the movie Gladiator, Joaquin Phoenix speaking in an "It's-a me, Mario" style accent?

• LOL 2

Well, not every Italian speaks English with such an exaggerated caricatured accent...

But getting back to the Greeks, have them then speak with ancient-Greek accented English then :)

35 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I cannot stand movies with Chevy Chase, even the ones I used to like. Was he always this asshole mugging for the camera?

Yes. Yes, he was. 

I also can't stand him. He alternates between being boring and being a spazz, and he's never, ever made me laugh. He also sounds like a colossal douchebucket.

While we're on the subject, Steve Martin's appeal has always eluded me. And I prefer the 1950 Father of the Bride to the 1991 version. No, it's not just because of my general disdain for remakes, but because the original had that gem of an actor Spencer Tracy. He is so glorious in the at movie. He delivers the opening monologue with absolutely perfect comic pitch.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

While we're on the subject, Steve Martin's appeal has always eluded me. And I prefer the 1950 Father of the Bride to the 1991 version. No, it's not just because of my general disdain for remakes, but because the original had that gem of an actor Spencer Tracy. He is so glorious in the at movie. He delivers the opening monologue with absolutely perfect comic pitch.

I thought Steve Martin was wonderful in Roxanne, but I really didn't like the Father of the Bride remake, not just because of his hammy acting in it, but that didn't help.

• Love 5

I don't have anything against Steve Martin as a person (and I don't even know anything about him), but there's something about him or his acting that irks me, so him being involved is most likely going to make me not watch the movie. In the few that I saw with him, he seemed to be playing the same character anyway and I would probably not like that character even if played by someone else.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't have anything against Steve Martin as a person (and I don't even know anything about him), but there's something about him or his acting that irks me, so him being involved is most likely going to make me not watch the movie. In the few that I saw with him, he seemed to be playing the same character anyway and I would probably not like that character even if played by someone else.

I like him, but he does have a shtick that he seems to be allowed to do in at least one scene in most of his movies that I've seen:  The "superfluous buns" in Father of the Bride, the rental car scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles, the Cowboy Gil scene in Parenthood.  I happened to like the first two (I still complain about superfluous buns whenever I buy hot dogs and buns), but I can see it getting annoying.  He can be really good when he's not allowed to go off like that, though, imo anyway.  Like @proserpina65 said, he was great in Roxanne. I don't remember seeing his shtick in that one.  Maybe the scene where he's telling the ladies that alien's landed, but that was so brief, I wouldn't include it. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I have always assumed there's something about Steve Martin that appeals specifically to an American comedic sensibility, because I have never found him even slightly funny and I don't think I've ever heard him mentioned positively when talking to people about comedy.

I hear him being described as a comedic genius and it absolutely baffles me. I always used to differentiate between him and Leslie Nielsen by saying Nielsen was "the one who's actually funny."

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I hear him being described as a comedic genius

Steve Martin's comedic genius is typically tied to his stand up and especially A Wild And Crazy Guy. That album is still legendary and it cemented his place among the all time greats. 

One of the earliest Steve Martin movies I ever saw was Parenthood, which I still love and find hilarious, so I'm sure that influences my fondness for him generally but I have always enjoyed him even when I'm not wild about his movies. 

I never thought about his style of comedy being primarily appealing to Americans but that could definitely be the case. I will say that Steve's BFF Martin Short is someone I struggle with. The way he plays his characters tends to be too much and loses whatever appeal they may have in the hands of someone else. And then I feel bad because I love Martin Short the man and never miss him when he's on a talk show. It's a contradiction that I have trouble sorting out.

• Love 11
(edited)
20 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I will say that Steve's BFF Martin Short is someone I struggle with. The way he plays his characters tends to be too much and loses whatever appeal they may have in the hands of someone else. And then I feel bad because I love Martin Short the man and never miss him when he's on a talk show. It's a contradiction that I have trouble sorting out.

I feel that.  It was always tough for me to watch Robin Williams have to be "on" all the time.  It makes sense now that we know what we know about his struggles with mental health, but it wasn't always pleasant for me to watch.  And I found it more frustrating than funny.  I much preferred him in movies like One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting.  

And since I'm already in the dog house for saying that, let me place myself in that spot even further by saying I don't like Mrs. Doubtfire.  It was one of those movies that I watched when it was on as a kid, but even then it was never a favorite.  And that lack of nostalgia for me today doesn't help it rise above its very real flaws.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I feel that.  It was always tough for me to watch Robin Williams have to be "on" all the time.  It makes sense now that we know what we know about his struggles with mental health, but it wasn't always pleasant for me to watch.  And I found it more frustrating than funny.  I much preferred him in movies like One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting.  

I totally agree with this. I can see why others find Robin Williams hilarious, but I always just found him exhausting. I understand now why he was like that, but that doesn't make it any more enjoyable to watch his constant mugging. I do think he was a great dramatic actor though and wish he had done more of that. 

It isn't just him though, I tend to find a lot of comedians exhausting. There are some who are naturally hilarious but a lot of them always just seem like they are trying way too hard. I think it's the nature of comedy in some ways. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I never thought about his style of comedy being primarily appealing to Americans but that could definitely be the case. I will say that Steve's BFF Martin Short is someone I struggle with. The way he plays his characters tends to be too much and loses whatever appeal they may have in the hands of someone else. And then I feel bad because I love Martin Short the man and never miss him when he's on a talk show. It's a contradiction that I have trouble sorting out.

It sounds like the flip side for me re Harry Connick, Jr. . IOW, he's brilliant in dramatic roles and charming in comedic &romantic roles. However, anytime he appears on talk shows or appears as 'himself,' IMO, he's rather grating and annoying- and this is in spite of the fact that I admire his tenacious work in helping rebuild New Orleans AND that I've never heard anything truly 'off' about him as a person (though I didn't like that he got his painfully shy   daughter to be part of his obnoxious talk show when it was obvious she would have rather been anywhere but there). 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

My UO: As much as I love Daniel Day-Lewis and think his Lincoln Oscar was earned, part of me wishes that Hugh Jackman won for Les Miserables that year. 

Lincoln was so boring (it was), and Daniel Day-Lewis was given the Oscar for looking so much like the real guy. 

All of me wishes it was given to Bradley Cooper for Silver Linings Playbook, who successfully dealt with a role that needed comedy, manic episodes (that came of as realistic mental illness and didn't feel like chewing the furniture) and show progress from his illness. The role asked a lot, and Cooper was extraordinary. 

Edited by pancake bacon
FIXED PRONOUNS FOR CLARITY
  • Love 5

Lincoln was so boring (it was), and Daniel Day-Lewis was given the Oscar for looking so much like the real guy. 

He came off an a Disney-style animatronic puppet more than anything else in that movie.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

When Robin Williams was alive he annoyed me because he was "on" all the time. I did not dislike him as a person. I was just annoyed. When he died, I learned more about him, and now like him as a person.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

I didn't mind Robin always being on because I always thought it was funny.  But, in later years, it stopped being funny.  It was more manic and out there and that's when I started thinking that it was getting old and maybe he should try to stop doing it. Now, I understand him better.  I can't imagine what it was like in his head. 

Edited by Shannon L.

Most of Hollywood's attempts at girlboss! movies are super tiresome. Which is tied to the fact that there's often no real reflection on the role capitalism plays in these sorts of narratives and that a tale of economic and corporate success is in many cases strongly tied to exploiting and undermining others. So most of the time they are tales of white, privileged women getting even more privileged with no examination of the cost. This can be an interesting story, but it's very seldom done with a critical lense and just sold as wholesome feminist empowerment. 

• Love 3
On 8/1/2021 at 8:49 AM, Enigma X said:

When Robin Williams was alive he annoyed me because he was "on" all the time. I did not dislike him as a person. I was just annoyed. When he died, I learned more about him, and now like him as a person.

I always liked Williams - and being that I was born and raised in San Francisco and Williams was a Bay Area transplant, he was beloved by many in the city who interacted with him or had personal stories of people they knew he had but I never liked his comedy. He was great in films but watching his standup and interviews were exhausting to me.  He was always cranked to 11 and while it was wild and free, I didn't think it was necessarily funny.  

My UO: Timothee Chalamet is overrated and his appeal eludes me. I don't know how he gets these great roles when his acting is mid.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

My UO: Timothee Chalamet is overrated and his appeal eludes me. I don't know how he gets these great roles when his acting is mid.

He just seems so bland to me, and his voice often doesn't have any inflection to it at all.  Meh.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

There are a lot of popular movies I have watched and didn't like. Titanic for example.  

We were just talking about Titanic and how my dad liked the movie until the boat started to sink.  My mom and I are unsure as to why he started watching in the first place because he should have known that was going to happen.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

We were just talking about Titanic and how my dad liked the movie until the boat started to sink.  My mom and I are unsure as to why he started watching in the first place because he should have known that was going to happen.

I went to see Titanic expecting to be bored to tears until the iceberg showed up, but was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the pre-disaster bits.  (still wouldn't bother re-watching it, but I didn't feel I'd wasted my money on the tickets)

• Love 6
7 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:
11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There are lots of popular movies that I have never seen.  E.T., for example.

There are a lot of popular movies I have watched and didn't like. Titanic for example.  

I am of the age where I think E.T. was required watching. I watched it once. Never really felt a need to watch it again. 

Titanic I ended up watching towards the end of it's long theatre run. I had zero interest in the storyline or romance. I just wanted to see the ship. It was totally worth it. That ship was stunning. I cried when it sunk, not for Jack and Rose, but for that bannister, and those chandeliers and all that beautiful woodwork and the beautiful cars etc. A few people too. The Strauses where the real romantic story for me. 

As for popular movies I've never seen. I am a huge fan of old movies. The 30s-40s was classic Hollywood for me. Never seen Casablanca and have no interest in ever seeing Casablanca. I get that it's a classic, I get that it's a household name, I just have no interest at all. I've seen homages to it, I've seen parodies of it. I'm good. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Mabinogia said:

I am of the age where I think E.T. was required watching. I watched it once. Never really felt a need to watch it again. 

I've only seen that movie once, too, and I saw it in Spanish, 'cause we watched it in my Spanish class for some reason. "E.T. telefono mi casa." 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 8/8/2021 at 9:13 PM, AngieBee1 said:

I agree with this 1000%! Also nothing about him & Armie Hammer was hot in Call me by your Name. He looks like a 13yr old boy. It was creepy.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

As for popular movies I've never seen. I am a huge fan of old movies. The 30s-40s was classic Hollywood for me. Never seen Casablanca and have no interest in ever seeing Casablanca. I get that it's a classic, I get that it's a household name, I just have no interest at all. I've seen homages to it, I've seen parodies of it. I'm good. 

There comes a point where a movie has become such a part of culture that you already know it and it's almost unnecessary to actually sit down and watch it. You know all the points, all the beats and you've probably seen so many homages and satires of it that nothing about it would be new. I think that's probably fair.

• Love 7
On 8/8/2021 at 8:13 PM, AngieBee1 said:

Agree completely.  I don't understand why the media always talks about him as if he is the Second Coming.  He's bland and boring.  And I truly hate his hair.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, blackwing said:
On 8/8/2021 at 9:13 PM, AngieBee1 said:

Agree completely.  I don't understand why the media always talks about him as if he is the Second Coming.  He's bland and boring.  And I truly hate his hair.

I have to agree, because I have no clue who he even is. I mean, I know the name, and I know he's been in stuff, but if you lined up three guys I would only be able to pick him out if I knew the other two guys.

• Love 4

Another Classic Hollywood UO:

For the most part, I don't find Jean Arthur all that magical and wonderful... except in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. She's actually my favorite part of that otherwise manipulative, overly-simplistic, remarkably cynical slice of "Capra-corn". Does anyone else find Jefferson Smith's wide-eyed idealist schtick completely phony? I agree with Danny Peary that Mr. Smith has the makings of a demagogue. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

For the most part, I don't find Jean Arthur all that magical and wonderful... except in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. She's actually my favorite part of that otherwise manipulative, overly-simplistic, remarkably cynical slice of "Capra-corn".

I'm not sure I've seen her in anything else, nothing I can think off off the top of my head, but I do love her in Mr. Smith and agree, she's about all I love about that movie. Capra is really not my cuppa. I'm not a fan of blatant emotional manipulation where the "little guy" musters up all his strength to take on the "big bad corporate/political machine" with his heartfelt truths. 

• Love 3