Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

She's great in her debut Leon(The Professional) and her Oscar winning role in The Black Swan. She and Chris Hemsworth actually have better chemistry in the WHAT IF? episode than the live action movies. I think it's because Portman onscreen sometimes is like a porcelain doll with RBF.

• Love 1
On 11/4/2021 at 1:26 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I just don't get why these are still a thing. I mean, they know that we know they're not real, right? Isn't the gimmick kind of played out at this point?

It became played out with Blair Witch Project.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My favourite Natalie Portman role is probably still Garden State, where she played, admittedly, a manic pixie dream girl type who is there to fix the main character. But she's charming and fun and light-hearted but able to bring pathos when it's needed.

• Love 1

I know there came a point where we all wanted to hit ourselves with a hammer to get "Let It Go" out of our heads, but...it's a really good song.  And a great gay anthem, even before they started queerbaiting Elsa.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, starri said:

I know there came a point where we all wanted to hit ourselves with a hammer to get "Let It Go" out of our heads, but...it's a really good song.  And a great gay anthem, even before they started queerbaiting Elsa.

Not me! There are times when even my favorite songs start getting on my nerves, but never this one, it's still my favorite.

frozen let it go GIF

• Love 6
On 11/13/2021 at 8:16 AM, starri said:

I had to look it up to see if I'd ever heard it (I didn't see the movie, but thought I might have come across it on radio), and I didn't recognize it.  It was okay, but I wasn't interested enough to listen to the whole thing.  So then I looked up the lyrics, and those are good.  But it just didn't grab me.  Maybe you had to see the film?  I don't know, but I guess I'm on neither the popular nor unpopular side on this one, as it just registers as one of many "eh, okay" songs to me.

For me, it's kind of two-fold.  Musically, while I don't think Idina Menzel is the most technically proficient singer, she is a PHENOMENAL belter, and it's really written and arranged to her strengths (Caissie Levy, who played Elsa on Broadway doesn't quite have Idina's power, and wisely didn't attempt imitate her, but it still loses something).  But lyrically, the idea of singing so happily about being able to live as your true self--which is where the queer subtext comes in--is really powerful to me.  The verse and chorus right before the bridge ("No right, no wrong, no rules for me/I'm free") always, always gets me.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, starri said:

For me, it's kind of two-fold.  Musically, while I don't think Idina Menzel is the most technically proficient singer, she is a PHENOMENAL belter, and it's really written and arranged to her strengths (Caissie Levy, who played Elsa on Broadway doesn't quite have Idina's power, and wisely didn't attempt imitate her, but it still loses something).  But lyrically, the idea of singing so happily about being able to live as your true self--which is where the queer subtext comes in--is really powerful to me.  The verse and chorus right before the bridge ("No right, no wrong, no rules for me/I'm free") always, always gets me.

I agree with everything you said about the lyrics and for me, the visuals in the movie are also a huge part of it. I love everything with winter and snow, so the whole sequence is like a visual orgasm for me. When I first saw it in cinema, I remember I said "wow" aloud when she was building the castle.

• Love 6

Another UO that might piss off my fellow Classic Hollywood fans:

I don't think John Garfield was anything special as an actor. Oh, he was definitely more than competent, but I actually found him kind of uncharismatic and blah. I think a lot of his image is colored by his rebel status and too-young death at 39.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Another UO that might piss off my fellow Classic Hollywood fans:

I don't think John Garfield was anything special as an actor. Oh, he was definitely more than competent, but I actually found him kind of uncharismatic and blah. I think a lot of his image is colored by his rebel status and too-young death at 39.

I think his talent was best suited for the stage in which he could take in audience reactions but he couldn't do that on film.

Of course, somehow Brando managed to have a decades-long career despite often mumbling and being needlessly surly onscreen so who knows if the late Mr. Garfield may have had the same had he lived past the Red Scare times. 

• Love 1
On 11/13/2021 at 11:16 AM, starri said:

I completely disagree.  It's a terrible song invented solely to torture me while I worked at Walmart during Christmas after that fucking movie came out.  I swear, I'd run down the songwriters if they ever crossed the street in front of my car, it's that awful.  (Okay, not really, but I'd be sorely tempted.)

On 11/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, Bastet said:

I had to look it up to see if I'd ever heard it (I didn't see the movie, but thought I might have come across it on radio), and I didn't recognize it.  It was okay, but I wasn't interested enough to listen to the whole thing.  So then I looked up the lyrics, and those are good.  But it just didn't grab me.  Maybe you had to see the film?  I don't know, but I guess I'm on neither the popular nor unpopular side on this one, as it just registers as one of many "eh, okay" songs to me.

Lucky you.

I hate Idina Menzel's singing in general.  I also hate Kristen Chenowith's singing, plus her speaking voice is probably the worst one on the planet.  Why she has a career is beyond me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

I like movie trailers as much as the next person but I really don't need to spend my time dissecting every second of the Spider-Man trailer looking for God knows what clues. That's what seeing the movie is for.  I also don't really have my calendar marked for when a trailer of an anticipated movie is going to drop because I am going to see the movie anyway whether the trailer is good, bad or indifferent.  The only time a trailer really matters to me is if it whets my appetite for something I wouldn't otherwise be inclined to see.

• Love 16

Sorry Potter fans, Michael Gambon's choice of the way Dumbledore asked Harry if he put his name in the Goblet of Fire was the right one. Okay maybe he shouldn't have been so rough handling a 14 year old, but the implication is supposed to be if Harry didn't someone else did, intending him to die in the incredibly dangerous TriWizard tournament. The only way Dumbledore would ask "calmly" was if he was a Vulcan or a robot. 

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Love 5

I know that the Child's Play movies are now the tv series Chucky now, but I am getting really annoyed the increasing amount of power Chucky seems to get. First he is a doll that can be shot through the head and is trapped in his doll body if it is too long. Then he kept coming back. Then he is somehow able to procreate with his girlfriend Tiffany, who is also a doll. Then the rule about staying in the doll body too long is no longer a thing and he is able to possess a little girl and then poor Nica and split his soul. He better be in for a big fall because he isn't clever, just really lucky.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2021 at 12:09 PM, starri said:

I certainly don't think she's the world's greatest actress, but I actually like Natalie Portman.

I didn't know people didn't like her.  I never knew liking her to be an unpopular opinion.  With the right movie she is great.  Everyone on my social media seems to adore her and there are several accounts who regularly say she deserved the Oscar instead of Emma Stone.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

In memory of Stephen Sondheim, I didn’t think the film versions of Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd were bad, even if they pale in comparison to their stage shows. Hell, Into the Woods is the only show with James Corden halfway tolerable!

As for Sweeney Todd, could they have gotten better leads? Yes. Did it water down Mrs. Lovett when she is so much more deliciously evil in the stage show? Absolutely, and it’s a real shame because HBC’s performance might have been better if they just let her go all Batshit Bellatrix. But for all its flaws, it’s still not as terrible as other adaptations.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

In memory of Stephen Sondheim, I didn’t think the film versions of Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd were bad, even if they pale in comparison to their stage shows. Hell, Into the Woods is the only show with James Corden halfway tolerable!

As for Sweeney Todd, could they have gotten better leads? Yes. Did it water down Mrs. Lovett when she is so much more deliciously evil in the stage show? Absolutely, and it’s a real shame because HBC’s performance might have been better if they just let her go all Batshit Bellatrix. But for all its flaws, it’s still not as terrible as other adaptations.

Movie musicals are often the only way I can watch a musical, unless there is some recording on YouTube in good quality, so I was also fine with those. I really like Into the Woods and was fine with Sweeney Todd until I found out that they didn't include the best song from the musical in the movie. That seems like a strage decision, I am more used to songs being added, as an obvious Oscar attempt.

2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I enjoy watching well built men dance without shirts as much as anyone, but not enough to sit through another God awful Magic Mike movie.

I might feel differently if I'd found any of the men in either Magic Mike movie attractive.  But I don't.

• Love 3
On 11/28/2021 at 9:32 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I agree that Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd are both very flawed film adaptations, but they work well for what they are. HBC captures the deadpan aspect of Mrs. Lovett, but I agree she should have been way more maniacal and evil (Patti LuPone nailed it). As for Into the Woods, I was just thrilled they cast Anna Kendrick as Cinderella (though I thought her ballgown was unforgivably ugly and blah), and Chris Pine and Emily Blunt were surprisingly strong in their roles.

And I found Johnny Depp tolerable in both! That was probably the last time I felt that way!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

And I found Johnny Depp tolerable in both! That was probably the last time I felt that way!

I agree! His Sweeney Todd was really good; I loved the characterization of him being someone rendered emotionally dead by his prison time, save for outbursts of explosive grief/rage. My only gripe is that we didn’t get enough of that in the finale. The original script—and the original stage show—was supposed to have him break down in gains cradling Lucy’s body. But they went with the “emotionally spent and dead on the inside” route instead.

On 12/5/2021 at 10:38 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Aside from some animated versions, I am ALL Super-powered OUT. Meaning I’ve no desire to see any live versions. Be it from Marvel or DC.

I'm not super-powered out, but as much as I still enjoy the Marvel cinematic universe and musicals, I also have no need to see a live version.  It was great for Hawkeye's opening scene, but a whole Broadway musical is not something I long for.

• Love 5

Quentin Tarantino is honestly rubbish. The last fifteen years of his movies seem to be 'hire big stars, write a load of really long scenes where they get great monologues and look super cool' just in a different setting.

I just watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, and cannot believe that he made an almost three hour movie just so he could kill off the people who murdered Sharon Tate in silly, vengeful, over-the-top ways. I'd already despaired that the movie was going to actually be about anything, but then I realised just why he made it, when  it came to that endless scene of each attacker being punched, stabbed, bitten by a dog, having their heads caved in and one being set on fire. Just... what was the fucking point?

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 10
On 12/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Aside from some animated versions, I am ALL Super-powered OUT. Meaning I’ve no desire to see any live versions. Be it from Marvel or DC.

With the rare exception I've never really cared for superhero movies.  I've never seen an Iron Man movie, but theoretically I might like those, because assuming I understand correctly, like Batman, he doesn't actually have superpowers.

I did like the Wonder Woman movie.  I haven't seen the sequel.  

And to be fair, because I know I don't care for them in general, I don't watch very many of them, so there may be 603 superhero movies out there that I would absolutely love.  But, I'm not going to watch the 6,000 I haven't seen to find them.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

With the rare exception I've never really cared for superhero movies.  I've never seen an Iron Man movie, but theoretically I might like those, because assuming I understand correctly, like Batman, he doesn't actually have superpowers.

And to be fair, because I know I don't care for them in general, I don't watch very many of them, so there may be 603 superhero movies out there that I would absolutely love.  But, I'm not going to watch the 6,000 I haven't seen to find them.

The brain is Ironman's super power. He just happens to pilot his own engineering super feat. Now the first two of the 4 pandemic era MCU movies features mostly well trained athletes

45 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I liked the first Iron Man movie.  That's pretty much it.

I don't begrudge those who do enjoy them, but do they have to put out 2 or 3 of the damned things every fucking year?  Can't they take a year off?  I just get so tired of seeing multiple comic book/superhero movies advertised seemingly every time I turn on the tv.  That goes for the tv/streaming series, too.

• Love 6

So it's just the constant advertising that bothers people? Comic geeks don't need it but the general public do.

I just don't understand getting upset over 2 or 3 movies a year when in the heydey of the western(1950s) there were hundreds of movies and TV shows in that genre. 

In the discourse of what makes something feel "cinematic" I've come to the conclusion that cinematic=expensive. If I see something that makes me think "Wow that must have cost a lot" that means it's cinematic. The more expensive something looks the more cinematic it feels IMO. Lots of extras, locations, big elaborate sets, costumes, etc .A movie looks like a movie when it doesn't like a TV show or a direct to video or streaming.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

So it's just the constant advertising that bothers people? Comic geeks don't need it but the general public do.

I just don't understand getting upset over 2 or 3 movies a year when in the heydey of the western(1950s) there were hundreds of movies and TV shows in that genre. 

In the discourse of what makes something feel "cinematic" I've come to the conclusion that cinematic=expensive. If I see something that makes me think "Wow that must have cost a lot". The more expensive something looks the more cinematic it feels IMO. A movie looks like a movie when it doesn't like a TV show or a direct to video or streaming.

I get tired of comic book/superhero movies filling up so many theaters all the damned time.  And I'd feel the same way if it were all Westerns or any other very specific genre.  It's partly because I live someplace where there isn't a lot of choice when it comes to movie theaters.

Those movies do well at the box office so my dislike of their proliferation clearly is an unpopular opinion, but that's what this thread is about.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I get tired of comic book/superhero movies filling up so many theaters all the damned time.  And I'd feel the same way if it were all Westerns or any other very specific genre.  It's partly because I live someplace where there isn't a lot of choice when it comes to movie theaters.

Those movies do well at the box office so my dislike of their proliferation clearly is an unpopular opinion, but that's what this thread is about.

I agree!

ONE comic book/superhero movie released at any given time is quite enough, IMO! 

There is a chance that I brought this up last Christmas, but The Family Stone is a terrible, terrible movie.  That it is seen in some circles as a Christmas classic befuddles me.  Claire Danes plays the worst character, and I wish SJP’s character (who was no prize) had washed her hands of everyone.

• Love 9
On 12/11/2021 at 2:41 PM, Browncoat said:

I can't stand Will Ferrell, and I hate the movie "Elf".

Elf is creepy. The central premise is that a gigantic manchild who thinks and acts like a small boy should be in a romantic relationship with an adult woman, and it squicks me the fuck out.

I've watched that movie once and I'll never watch it again.

• Love 8

My yuletide UOs:

A Christmas Story is utterly noxious and overrated. I visited my husband's family in Germany a few years ago and told them about how TBS plays nothing but A Christmas Story for 24 hours, and they were utterly bewildered.

The live-action Grinch can go jump off a cliff into a bed of thorns.

Prancer is the best Christmas movie no one has ever seen. 

Elf is... okay. That's it. Now, if they made a movie entirely about Mr. Narwhal? I'd watch the hell out that.

I will love The Nutcracker (most versions, anyway) until the day I die, I don't care how basic and unsophisticated that makes me. I think the music is among Tchaikovsky's best.

As far as B&W classics, everyone else can have It's a Wonderful Life, I'll take Christmas in Connecticut and Remember the Night (Barbara Stanwyck makes everything better).

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

While I love A Christmas Story, my favorite Christmas movie is The Shop Around the Corner with James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan.   I watch both of them every Christmas.

The Shop Around the Corner is a damned classic, possibly Lubitsch's best. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The central premise is that a gigantic manchild who thinks and acts like a small boy should be in a romantic relationship with an adult woman, and it squicks me the fuck out.

So a Christmas version of Big. That shit creeped me out. He might have been in a mans body but that was a little kid getting all romantic with a grown woman. IDK who thought that was a good idea. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

So a Christmas version of Big. That shit creeped me out. He might have been in a mans body but that was a little kid getting all romantic with a grown woman. IDK who thought that was a good idea. 

I wouldn't say Elf is the same as Big.  The character is chronologically the same age he is physically.  He just thinks he's an elf (he's not) and was raised at the North Pole where apparently you tend to hold on to your youthful leaning for longer (and make seriously questionable nutrition choices).

• Love 4

I'm listening to a lot of back Oscar podcasts lately.  My UO is that I don't inherently look down on those who "campaign hard."  Obviously, I would prefer to see films and performances rewarded on merit, and it is unfair when studios with money and clout can back talent while other actors/films just as deserving do not have that luxury, but at a certain point, "best" is hairsplitting.   If being really charming on Kimmel is what puts someone over the top then c'est la vie.  And frankly, who knows why some voters vote the way they do and if that even really makes a difference.  Sucks when it's not the person I wanted to win but don't hate the player hate the game.  Also, I can't fault any actor or actress for really "wanting it." (and let's face it, it's usually the actresses that get accused of this more often than their counterparts.)  If the collective is going to put so much emphasis on it then why shouldn't any performer really want it to be their year?  If anything, the likes of Glenn Close and Amy Adams probably just want to win at this point so they don't have to answer any more questions about it.   

• Love 8

I totally agree and seriously get annoyed when people complain about an actor “campaigning.”  I remember lots of backlash toward Benedict for getting married and having a baby during Oscar season, like he actively planned major life events to curry votes.  And don’t even get me started on the complaints that Anne Hathaway was “too eager.”  The public was awful to her, and the fact she still is gracious to audiences says everything about her character.

Another UO is that I tend to believe most people when they say they had no idea about a co-worker/friend being a sexual predator.  For instance, I have no doubt Harvey Weinstein treated Dame Judi Dench very differently than he did an ingenue, and I don’t think she should be cancelled for thanking him at a awards ceremony before his crimes were made public.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
11 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Another UO is that I tend to believe most people when they say they had no idea about a co-worker/friend being a sexual predator.  For instance, I have no doubt Harvey Weinstein treated Dame Judi Dench very differently than he did an ingenue, and I don’t think she should be cancelled for thanking him at a awards ceremony before his crimes were made public.

Indeed, a lot of predators will be very careful about who they behave themselves around. They need to have some people they're on friendly terms with, or people who like them. Makes it that much easier for them to try and mount a "It couldn't be me!" defense when the accusations start flying. 

That, and predators also know who will and won't be easy for them to prey upon, so of course they won't go after people powerful enough to put them in their place if they dare try anything. 

But yeah, be they famous or not, that kind of reaction is a very common one when someone is accused of doing something awful. A lot of people are just very trusting sorts in general, or miss the warning signs, or might hear rumors, but refuse to believe them for a whole host of reasons, or whatever. And even after they learn about what someone did, it often takes many people a long time to come to terms with and accept that they've done something awful. It would be a strange situation to find oneself in, I'd imagine. 

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Another UO is that I tend to believe most people when they say they had no idea about a co-worker/friend being a sexual predator.

I generally do, too.  I only have a problem if they speak as if the fact he wasn't like that to/in front of them is evidence the victim is lying about what he did to her.  We grasp the fact murderers don't kill everyone they know, I don't understand why it's so difficult to understand that harassers, abusers, and rapists don't harass, abuse, and rape everyone they know.

1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

My UO is that I don't inherently look down on those who "campaign hard."  Obviously, I would prefer to see films and performances rewarded on merit, and it is unfair when studios with money and clout can back talent while other actors/films just as deserving do not have that luxury, but at a certain point, "best" is hairsplitting.   If being really charming on Kimmel is what puts someone over the top then c'est la vie.

I think the way studios campaign for a nomination/win can be shady, but I find it hard to take issue with actors making the rounds, especially once they've been nominated. 

And taking someone to task for wanting to win?  Of course they want it!  That doesn't mean they think the other nominees suck, it means they did something of which they are proud and have been recognized for it, and would really like that statue - and the prestige and resulting career boost that comes with having one's name forevermore preceded by "Academy Award winner" - in their hands at the end of the night.

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I totally agree and seriously get annoyed when people complain about an actor “campaigning.”  I remember lots of backlash toward Benedict for getting married and having a baby during Oscar season, like he actively planned major life events to curry votes. 

You mean, Portman didn't plot both of her pregnancies around awards seasons?

• LOL 9
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think the way studios campaign for a nomination/win can be shady, but I find it hard to take issue with actors making the rounds, especially once they've been nominated. 

Especially given that part of an actor's job is to promote their work. Naturally that would often involve campaigning and getting their name out there to keep it in mind during awards season. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I totally agree and seriously get annoyed when people complain about an actor “campaigning.”  I remember lots of backlash toward Benedict for getting married and having a baby during Oscar season, like he actively planned major life events to curry votes.  And don’t even get me started on the complaints that Anne Hathaway was “too eager.”  The public was awful to her, and the fact she still is gracious to audiences says everything about her character.

It pissed me when people complain that Anne Hathaway, wait for it, takes her job seriously. Better an actor go overboard with "trying" then being too laid back. She stars in mid to big budget movies so someone better be putting their best foot forward. The only reason I will hate on an actor if they abuse the cast and crew. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

It pissed me when people complain that Anne Hathaway, wait for it, takes her job seriously. Better an actor go overboard with "trying" then being too laid back. She stars in mid to big budget movies so someone better be putting their best foot forward. The only reason I will hate on an actor if they abuse the cast and crew. 

The contrast in the way the media, and a lot of the public, treated Anne Hathaway and the way they treated Jennifer Lawrence still annoys me.

Hathaway was derided as too serious, so eager to please, too ambitious. She was even called "the most hated woman in Hollywood" and had articles written about all the ways she reminded people of the high achievers at school who made them feel inadequate. She even took the brunt of the blame for the Oscars presenting fiasco, when James Franco was far more at fault and, we've learned since, was lazy and disengaged from the process while Hathaway took it very seriously and was prepared to put time in to develop bits and rehearse.

Meanwhile Lawrence was adored for supposedly not caring, being laidback and falling over at a couple of awards ceremonies. 'She's so cool, she talks about drinking and farting and doesn't act like she's better than me!'

The fact that a lot of the anti-Hathaway stuff came from other women was especially tiresome, as it reflected a sort of internalised misogyny about ambitious women who overstep their bounds and try to succeed on their own terms.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

A lot of people are just very trusting sorts in general, or miss the warning signs, or might hear rumors, but refuse to believe them for a whole host of reasons, or whatever.

George Clooney said he heard the rumors, but they were more “she slept with him to get the part” so he dismissed them as misogynistic.  That makes sense tome.

That is still how I see it worded for Gwyneth Paltrow, who (another UO) I believe did not “steal” the Viola role from Winona Rider.  That script was not some secret writing shown only to a chosen few and Gwyneth somehow got her grubby paws on it.  I don’t doubt they were friends and both wanted the part, but you never hear men stealing each other’s part so another piece of lovely misogyny in this one.

• Love 6