Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: Confronting Meri

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, B3cky50 said:

BUT when Meri went to buy the house from Vicky and Vicky got a little emotional, Meri immediately jumps up and wraps her arms around this woman to comfort her. 

That's because Vicki kissed her arse, at least until the check cleared!

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, CassinaFaye said:

It has always been my opinion that he is a polygamist only to have the ability to dip his wick in many partners honey pot. 

7 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

And these are not religious people. Truly religious polygamists would be devastated that not a single one of their children want to live the most important tenet of their religion.

Amen (no pun intended......well, maybe) to both statements.  Their history of changing "religious" rules to fit the situation rather than follow the tenets of their faith (or tenants, as Sobyn loves to say) along with a dearth of any vestige of interest in rather common teachings of most religions (do unto others, etc.) makes it clear that they are not following any religion except the Church of the Almighty TLC Dollar.  Where is their charity work, their avoidance of lies and deceit, their ability to forgive, etc. common principles shared by many religions worldwide?

Koodie talked four women of low self esteem into having unlimited sex under the guise of a religion that existed only in his Neanderthal sized brain.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Palomar said:

Why is Mariah meeting Cheryl even relevant? Sure sounds like Cheryl wants TV time and wants to be part of the Brown's story. Why rehash what happened when Mariah seems over it and is happy?  Or maybe it is Meri who wants a new story. 

The Catfish thing, as old and played out as it is, is the only interesting thing in Meri's life. She wants to simultaneously milk that for all it's worth, while playing the innocent victim and dodging pertinent questions. But people still want to hear about that over her dumb Lularoe (that she apparently can't mention by name on camera) or dumb B&B. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, gingerella said:

Why is Meri even still there?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because of the TLC paycheck. I'm sure Mariah is collecting a check, too, seeing how often she is on the show now, constantly reminding us all that she is gay. After the checks dry up, Meri will be moving to Parowan. Just a wild guess. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, CassinaFaye said:

It has always been my opinion that he is a polygamist only to have the ability to dip his wick in many partners honey pot.  And he had become one so that he would be able to find women who were ok with it and not kick him to the curb.  

I agree. If he is so dang devout, why doesn’t he fight tooth and nail to be stricter with the kids and keep them in the cult? Thank god the kids do have all that freedom but don’t the parents worry about their eternal souls??

ETA: oops, I see I am just reiterating what others said!

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

It’s interesting to me, that the wives tweeted last night, but Kody didn’t at all.

I saw that. Only because I am stuck inside today and am bored so I went searching. They only tweet when their show is on I noticed. He really wasn't featured last night so he didn't bother. Story of his life. And yes, I blame Kody for most of the mess in this family. Creeper.

23 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because of the TLC paycheck. I'm sure Mariah is collecting a check, too, seeing how often she is on the show now, constantly reminding us all that she is gay. After the checks dry up, Meri will be moving to Parowan. Just a wild guess. 

Agreed. Is Meri the only one working at something other than Robyn and SWC? No one else has a job. TLC can't be paying that much to float all those boats/floats/canoes!

• Love 5

Bottom line is none of these women like each other.   If the other 3 left, Janelle would be fine with it, except she'd have to have Kody there more, which she wouldn't like.   Robyn would, on the surface, feign tragedy, but deep down she'd be happy as a clam.  Nothing would make Christine happier.  She'd love to be the only one in Kody's life - reassuring him she understands him, and will make his life better.   I have more natural interaction with the neighbors on our tiny cul-de-sac, than any of these women.     Just leave it alone - have a big "family" (basically a block party) once a year and call it good.     Janelle would be a good one to sit Kody down and tell him to cut the BS about this being a big happy family.   Admit its all for a TLC paycheck.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Have we ever seen a happy polygamist?

Nope.

7 hours ago, sadiebyuca said:

Yes. Her entire problem is that she was raised in this polygamy lunacy by lunatics, became a lunatic and now she's living with other lunatics.

Winner for best sentence with the most use of a couple of words.  So true too.

• Love 16

Meri needs to know what I came to know the minute I embarked on a journey to become more physically fit - this is gonna be uncomfortable, hard and it is gonna take time but if you feel the outcome is worth it you preserve. She really thinks that this is something for everyone else to get over and get past as witnessed by her conversation with Mariah. 

17 hours ago, 80sBaby said:

She says "My family doesn't trust me..." as if they are wrong for feeling the way they do. She chose to distance herself and lay on her wet bar phone boning "Sam". I don't feel bad for her at all. The evil catfisher took advantage of Meri...GTFOH. Meri was delusional and narcissistic enough to believe this young, hot millionaire was ready to run off into the sunset with her. If Sam was real Meri would have been gone. The other wives and Kodi know it too. Kodi will never have a romantic relationship with Meri again EVER.

At the heart of it, her family doesn't trust her not only for her actions around the catfishing but also because after seeing the photos, texts, emails and hearing the voice message they don't buy this was just a friendship. As much as I think Meri needs to come clean, I think the family needs to be equally honest and say they have never brought the story she's been peddling. I feel like they went along with it in the beginning to protect Meri & save face, but I think somewhere along the line Meri started to believe and live the lie. I can't help but think back when the Brown family had that camping vacation and Meri at some restaurant dropped a bomb that she might one day be gone. Now she would have you believe that she was doing that out of fear and to protect the family but when I watched it Meri seemed to be suppressing glee and happiness. She loved having this little secret and lording her potential escape over Kodi and the sister wives. 

Meri is is also doing a disservice to herself bringing this Cheryl chick around. I bet dollars to donuts Cheryl didn't think she was just BFFs with Sam. 

I am all for anyone giving Meri the business, but if ever a conversation needed a therapist (that wasn't Nancy) directing it, it was the one between Meri and Christine. Funny, because Christine was the loudest in saying all was good when asked during the session if anyone had something to add. I so wanted Christine to define what she meant by "safe." 

16 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Tony is still bitter cakes about Christine not rolling out the red carpet. 

He would have still had something to say if she had like: Caucasian red carpets have low piling and aren't as lush and rich as red Mexican carpet.

Robyn is one of those poor unfortunates that when she gains weight, some of it goes to her neck. She is gonna have neck rings, which leads me to one of my fave moments from 30 Rock

5926ufB.gif

Mariah's happiness since coming out makes me smile.

• Love 14

I agree with Janelle on one thing. I hate girl lunch's, girl's night out, etc...  Yuk. Sitting around together and  discussing what is new in everyone's life is excruciating to me. Give me a one on one any day, but no group crap. 

• Love 10

Since I'm no polygamy advocate, I really feel almost guilty for being such a voyeur into these people's lives, but curiosity reigns supreme. ;) 

Bu,t ya know... Meri tiptoed into that house with Mariah and her g/f and they all tiptoed out without making a peep. WTF???  I was like...seriously?  You're all just going to leave???   Who does that? 

Had that been her biological daughter Mariah laboring for so long, you had better bet our heroine Mama Meri would have wanted to know wtf was going on..   She would have made damn sure things were progressing as they should be when she got back from picking up the girls.    She's also probably have made arrangements for one of the adults to keep her apprised while she was gone.   You know..."Call me every 10 minutes no matter what", kind of arrangements. 

How could she walk into that quiet house and not try to find out what happened while she was gone?  What if, God forbid, something had gone wrong and they all had to suddenly leave for the hospital in order to save a new mom or new baby's life?  What then?   

It's been more than a little obvious since day one that Queen Meri doesn't give a rats azz about anyone else but herself.   Like my Aunt, God rest her soul, used to say, "That woman would bitch if they hung her with a new rope".  

• Love 24
3 hours ago, Ravenna said:

Robyn does  wide-eyed naive act well. Let us not forget how she immediately became besties with Meri, and sang her Sobbin story until she became the legal wife. IMO, every move, and comment she makes is calculated.

I don’t know. Meri seemed to think the sister-wives joke was funny! I laughed also, especially at Kody’s Patented Death Stare. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Onceafan said:

Meri does not trust that the sister wives want her to have a good relationship with Kody. She believes that they badmouth her, or talk about her behind her back to Kody. I think she believes that they influence Kody, and are trying to shut her out of the family. She believes they judge her, and therefore intentionally block her from being a part of things. It all comes down to trust. It's funny cause Meri always states that the family does not trust her, when in reality, Meri does not trust them.

When she is saying she is "guarded" what she is really saying, I don't trust you guys enough to open up to you, because I'm afraid you are going to go and tell Kody what I say, and I see you three as being on his "team" and not "mine."

That's definitely what I came away thinking after seeing this episode. Meri doesn't trust them any farther than she can throw them.

When Christine said if you're having problems or issues, maybe I can't fix it, but you can dump them on me - Meri shook her head no. She either can't (or won't) open up and talk with any of them. Which leads to them not wanting to open up or talk with her, either...and it just keeps going round and round.

I don't think they ever really have had that kind of relationship - in the earlier seasons, they tried to make it appear that way, but as time went on, the cracks started showing. I don't think the catfishing situation is the only reason Meri's relationships with her sisterwives, or Kody, are so strained. I think they've been fed up with Meri's selfishness and bossy behavior for a long time...the catfish deal was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

51 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

As much as I think Meri needs to come clean, I think the family needs to be equally honest and say they have never brought the story she's been peddling. I feel like they went along with it in the beginning to protect Meri & save face, but I think somewhere along the line Meri started to believe and live the lie.

I agree...not one of these 5 so-called "adults" are being the least bit honest about the whole deal. If just ONE person would finally come out and say "Meri, you believed this guy was, in fact, a guy, and we've all heard the voicemails of you telling him you loved him, etc. It was NOT just a friend. It was a romantic relationship, and you were thinking about leaving us for him.", I wonder what would happen.

It would at least be a catalyst for change, one way or the other.

Personally, my guess is if one of them said that to her, they'd be faced with the full wrath of Meri Brown. I don't think she'd say "You're right, it wasn't just a friendship, and I was willingly participating in it." I don't think she can even admit that to herself. Which is totally f'd up. 

Meri needs real therapy, not these bullshit sessions with dingbat Nancy. She can't take responsibility for her actions when she's not even allowing herself to believe she did anything wrong.

• Love 19

One thing I found interesting during the Meri & Christine discussion was when Meri said "we haven't had that kind of relationship for 10 years", and Christine agreed.  So, they admit that when they first came on the show, it was all fake.    None of these women have each other's backs.  If one isn't getting along with Kody, they see it as beneficial to themselves, and don't want to know why one may be upset, what's going on to make them unhappy.   It also seems that when Robyn came into this group, she misjudgedthe relationships these women actually had with each other.  

No wonder none of the kids want to follow this lifestyle.  As a kid, it's fine, you get along with all the other kids - it's like having a neighborhood full of kids, but they couldn't help but notice the tension, and disfunctional dynamics between the moms.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Onceafan said:

And by the way, Kody should be in that counseling session about the birth.

I couldn't figure out why he wasn't there, either.  

Other than the fact that nothing is ever his fault, so he wasn't even invited.  If they blame him for something, they're worried they won't be the favorite wife. 

But ALL of this is his fault.  He's the one that has created this scenario.  He's a horrible husband.  

• Love 14
1 minute ago, sadiebyuca said:

I couldn't figure out why he wasn't there, either.  

Other than the fact that nothing is ever his fault, so he wasn't even invited.  If they blame him for something, they're worried they won't be the favorite wife. 

But ALL of this is his fault.  He's the one that has created this scenario.  He's a horrible husband.  

Oh, but he doesn’t like to go to the group sessions because he already has 4 nagging wives. One on one is OK  

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I agree with Janelle on one thing. I hate girl lunch's, girl's night out, etc...  Yuk. Sitting around together and  discussing what is new in everyone's life is excruciating to me. Give me a one on one any day, but no group crap. 

My question ... what does Janelle enjoy? 

6 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I don’t know. Meri seemed to think the sister-wives joke was funny! I laughed also, especially at Kody’s Patented Death Stare. 

Kody said that it was progress that Meri was able to laugh about so pretty telling that he didn't crack a smile about said joke. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

It doesn't seem she enjoys much at all. She sat crossed armed at the lunch, she never wants to do any of their aw-inspiring   douchey dances ( can't blame her ) She doesnt do crafting, so  I wonder what she does all day, its not like she has little ones at home, is she just sitting around all day watching her stories ? Notice that all the wives seem to have gotten brand new cars/SUVs

• Love 6

IMO Meri doesn't want to open up to anybody, and right now she's holding on for the TLC paycheck.   Don't rock the boat.  Could it be fear of Kody saying leave?  OK, I know she's selfish and prone to being a victim, but she was on the brink of leaving, and it didn't work out.   She has seemed to make a life for herself outside this group, but still stuck in a completely loveless relationship.   When this train wreck is over, I don't expect any of them, well maybe Christine & Robyn, to stay around.  

My daughter-in-law is a serious introvert, and in some ways reminds me of Janelle.   She has no time for luncheons, girl-time, etc.   She gets along really well with the people she works with, but I seriously doubt she has ever shared anything personal with them.   We have a great time when she comes to visit, but it took awhile for her to let her guard down.  She would be perfectly happy to stay home with the dogs.   My son works long, long hours, and is sometimes gone for days at a time, and he's very lucky that she's fine with having this time alone.   Janelle would be fine, seeing her kids, Kody on occasion, and never seeing the other wives or kids.    I suspect she has outside friends, a small circle.  She did mention going to the Korean Spa with her friend.   

When/if they do have an honest discussion about the catfishing, how will Janelle handle it?  Hard to be too judgemental when she left for a couple of years, and made a separate life for herself.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

It doesn't seem she enjoys much at all. She sat crossed armed at the lunch, she never wants to do any of their aw-inspiring   douchey dances ( can't blame her ) She doesnt do crafting, so  I wonder what she does all day, its not like she has little ones at home, is she just sitting around all day watching her stories ? Notice that all the wives seem to have gotten brand new cars/SUVs

I get Janelle.  I am an introvert.  I can have fun at a lunch or a party, but only once in a while.  I am a SAHM right now and do a little bit of work from home part-time, and I am very happy.  I love raising my son, taking care of my house, being with my husband, and occasionally seeing friends and hanging out with others. I think Janelle enjoyed working.  I enjoyed working full-time too, but once my day was over, I had no patience for happy hours.  I was happy to chat and socialize with my colleagues at work, but then I needed to go home and have my space.  Janelle needs to get out of the house more and go to a job- I think she would find greater fulfillment there than having banal chit-chat with the sister wives.

Edited by lucy711
  • Love 16
13 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

I have a sister in law like Janelle and she's just such a downer.  She complains that everything is boring or trite or annoying.  She likes camping, but won't camp anywhere with electrical outlets.  She likes baking, but only fruit-based cobblers because everything else is too bland. It's just a power trip.  She wants to be in control, so she puts everything down. 

Listen, who cares if it's not your thing, Janelle?  The women you CHOSE to be stuck with through life and the eternities want to get to know you better and bond.  How is that not important to you?  It makes you a jerk.  Hear that, Janelle? You're a wet blanket on fun.  Booo!  Hisss!!!  

;)

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, lucy711 said:

I get Janelle.  I am an introvert.  I can have fun at a lunch or a party, but only once in a while.  I am a SAHM right now and do a little bit of work from home part-time, and I am very happy.  I love raising my son, taking care of my house, being with my husband, and occasionally seeing friends and hanging out with others. I think Janelle enjoyed working.  I enjoyed working full-time too, but once my day was over, I had no patience for happy hours.  I was happy to chat and socialize with my colleagues at work, but then I needed to go home and have my space.  Janelle needs to get out of the house more and go to a job- I think she would find greater fulfillment there than having banal chit-chat with the sister wives.

I 100% agree with that, but when the people you chose to bond yourself with say that they need more in the relationship, you have to push yourself a bit.  If once a month, they want to spend time with you doing something they like and the other 29 days of the month, you do things your way, that seems fair.  She has to give more.  

Honestly, I prefer being at home, too.  I hate socializing with people I'm blah about.  But this is family and she chose them.  Willingly.  She left once when she gave up on the situation and then she came back.  She needs to commit. 

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, notnowimbusy said:

When/if they do have an honest discussion about the catfishing, how will Janelle handle it?  Hard to be too judgemental when she left for a couple of years, and made a separate life for herself.

My understanding was that when Janelle moved, she was basically sick of living with Meri - and that she more or less just moved in order to get a space of her own, and probably didn't do a lot of interacting with the family as a whole, but didn't leave Kody. Meaning, she spent time with him, and wasn't seeing other guys. (If my understanding of that is wrong, then it would change my opinion...). I think Christine also lived separately from Meri for awhile during that time, or at least at some point.

So comparing Janelle's time away from the family with Meri's catfish fling is like comparing apples & oranges to me. 

If Janelle wasn't actively dating other guys, she didn't leave Kody, she left the family home. I think Kody was still going to Janelle's house and spending some time with her - she just wasn't spending time with her sister wives.

Meri was actively engaged in a romantic entanglement with another man. To me, that's a completely different thing.

• Love 19
19 hours ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

Meri: "No one in the family trusts me."

Same episode, goes behind everyone's back and puts in an offer without telling the family.

Meri: I have my guard up cause I don't know how you sister wives feel about me

Christine: Meri, this is how I feel about you. How can we fix it!

Meri: I can't believe you! Now I'm guarded cause you are telling me how you feel about me and wanting to fix it.

Did everyone notice during Christine and Meri's talk, Christine kept giving suggestions of things she could do to make Meri feel less guarded and more safe, and Meri NEVER mentioned anything she herself could do to repair the situation!!!

This is the problem Meri!!! Christine is giving you everything you "claim" you want, a sister wife who is being honest with you about how she feels, wants to build a better relationship, and wants to be closer to you.  And when victim Meri gets what she is asking for, she plays a bigger victim!!!!!

Meri could you have at least suggested one damn thing you would do differently to work on your relationship with Christine!

All Meri cares about is her relationship with Kody. Since it's bad, she refuses to have a relationship with the other wives.

I just noticed, reading the closed captioning because I was on the phone while this was going on, that this whole discussion went around in circles with both of them repeating their key phrases over and over.  No resolution was had because they never went any farther than their boundaries.  I give Christine points for trying, but she didn't help herself by not being specific with concrete examples of what she wanted from Meri.  Point deducted from Meri for retreating back behind her wall (which is bigger and thicker than anything the President wants to build).

Meri just needs to leave.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, MoodyGirl said:

2. Has anyone noticed the backyard landscaping at the houses. Are some homes not landscaped? When they do the aerial drone shots it looks like just dirt in some yards but clearly Christine’s house has grass since they had the dinner there in the back...and maybe Janelle? I don’t know....just a stupid observation. 

I noticed it and a few weeks back someone put up their actual addresses & I looked them up on google maps.  It appears that the Meri/Kody house is the only one with grass and the pergola where they pose for photos and celebrate stuff. The other houses appear to have only dirt, sand or concrete back yards.

I wonder if Christine is trying to work with Meri because she's worried about being sealed to her for eternity.  If these people want another season, let's have them delve into whether they should or should not "release" Meri.  Kody getting ED could put an end to it.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mariareads said:

Is Meri the only one working at something other than Robyn and SWC? No one else has a job. TLC can't be paying that much to float all those boats/floats/canoes!

Let's do the math.  There were 10 – 2 hour shows (20 - 1 hour show).  If they earned $20 grand per hour, that is $400,000 grand.  When you divide that by the principals and their adult kids, everyone walked away with at least $40 grand.  Also, they are paid extra for the reunion. These people have mortgages and are all driving spanking new SUVs, so, I have a feeling they make more than $20 grand for an hour show.  At the height of their popularity, the Duggars and Jon & Kate were pulling in $50 grand per hour.  Based on the ratings, SW seems to be doing okay.  

1 minute ago, Sasha888 said:

My understanding was that when Janelle moved, she was basically sick of living with Meri - and that she more or less just moved in order to get a space of her own, and probably didn't do a lot of interacting with the family as a whole, but didn't leave Kody. Meaning, she spent time with him, and wasn't seeing other guys. (If my understanding of that is wrong, then it would change my opinion...). I think Christine also lived separately from Meri for awhile during that time, or at least at some point.

So comparing Janelle's time away from the family with Meri's catfish fling is like comparing apples & oranges to me. 

If Janelle wasn't actively dating other guys, she didn't leave Kody, she left the family home. I think Kody was still going to Janelle's house and spending some time with her - she just wasn't spending time with her sister wives.

Meri was actively engaged in a romantic entanglement with another man. To me, that's a completely different thing.

Oh, I completely agree their reasons for wanting out, and they way they went about it are completely different, except for the fact that they both showed they weren't committed.    And the idea of being committed keeps coming up.  Janelle did leave, moved far away, got a job and eventually a better car, and  her own home.    It was after Kody told her he was moving back to Utah, and a big house, that she decided to come back.    I never got the impression that Kody spent time w/Janelle during that time - which she seemed fine with.    Janelle said she fell into a deep depression, and was tired of the family not having financial means.    

What I'm trying to say is Janelle didn't feel a strong commitment to "the family", and did what was best for her, and her kids.   I think after Kody divorced Meri that sunk her into a space where she felt alone - not having a houseful of kids.   She was looking for a way out, to find something that was best for her. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, sadiebyuca said:

I 100% agree with that, but when the people you chose to bond yourself with say that they need more in the relationship, you have to push yourself a bit.  If once a month, they want to spend time with you doing something they like and the other 29 days of the month, you do things your way, that seems fair.  She has to give more.  

Honestly, I prefer being at home, too.  I hate socializing with people I'm blah about.  But this is family and she chose them.  Willingly.  She left once when she gave up on the situation and then she came back.  She needs to commit. 

Yes- you are right.  As I was tying my original response I was thinking the same thing- she knew what she was signing up for.  Since I am an introvert, I would never want sister wives or 20 kids hanging around.  One husband and one or two kids are plenty for me!  And, while I shy away from large groups, I am happy to be there for my family.  If Janelle grew up around polygamy she should have known what to expect.

• Love 3

Considering this:

"The term ‘humilitainment’ was coined by media psychologists to describe the tendency for viewers to be attracted to scenes of humiliation or mortification, for example bullying, nudity and drunken antics."

https://www.psychologies.co.uk/culture/real-life-vs-reality-tv.html

"I once had a woman cast as a villain who turned out to be the nicest lady ever. As producer, I sat her down and said, “Listen, you were cast in this role. If you want to make good TV, if you want the series to come back and make more money next year, then you need to play along. If you don’t, you’re going to be cut out entirely.” It worked."

https://www.rd.com/culture/13-secrets-reality-tv-show-producers-wont-tell-you/

"I'd say the main thing is conflict, regardless of what the conflict is over. You can't have any TV show without there being some sort of dramatic conflict. Not every scene is geared toward that, but I'd say shows are all geared toward searching for conflict, exploiting that conflict, and amping it up."

https://www.refinery29.com/2016/11/128007/reality-tv-shows-producer-behind-the-scenes

It wouldnt surprise me AT ALL if the Brown Clan are all happy with their relationships, content in their polygamous life and glad they sold their souls for the $$$ and attention.  Everything else is just scripted drama that generates ratings and funnels fans to their various businesses (The Sisterwives Closet, LuLaWhatever, Strive, etc.), as well as their pet project to legalize polygamy.

• Love 1

Meri is unbelievable!!  She loves nothing more than to have all of the wives tiptoe around her and her "wall."  She forgets that she is the one who had an emotional affair thereby betraying the entire family and instead of being sorry and begging for her sister wives' forgiveness, somehow she is in control and everyone is apologizing to her.  

Yes, it was sad that she could only give birth to 1 child but she was a Mom to many children.  As time went on, she is the one who withdrew from the family, she is the one who instigated her divorce from Kody and suggested that he and Robyn marry for custody issues, she is the one who didn't go find where the baby was being born

I think it would be best for everyone for her to move to Parowan or anywhere and let the family have some peace.  She won't though, she loves all of the drama she creates and having everyone cater to her.       

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, notnowimbusy said:

What I'm trying to say is Janelle didn't feel a strong commitment to "the family", and did what was best for her, and her kids. 

Yeah, I agree with that. In fact I'd say she still doesn't feel a strong commitment to the family. She'll show up for a family event, but she doesn't really participate. She kind of just sits there. It looks like she's watching the clock and thinking "How long before I can leave?"

I think to some extent, each of the moms are looking out for themselves...and trying to make sure they do what's best for THEIR kids, as opposed to the whole family being their #1 priority. But some are more invested than others. I think Christine and Robyn are more invested in the family as a whole than Meri and Janelle are. 

Christine and Robyn seem to enjoy the big family gatherings, while Meri and Janelle more or less just "endure" them.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, tinaw said:

Meri  is the first wife. The first wife who didn' want other wives. Merit thinks she should get her way because she is the FIRST wife. Everyone has to do what the First wife wants

I really think that is Meri's problem

Raise the Red Lantern.

(movie) Amazing,,,, shows the power struggle among four concubines, and had so very little to do with the ugly husband (Master I guess) First Wife Second wife etc...the Red Lantern is raised outside the home of the wife where he chooses to sleep that night.

• Love 5
On 3/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, Sandy W said:

I wonder who they will have as moderator this time around.

I would love to see Soledad O'Brien take them on, she can be brutally blunt and bluntly brutal.

I would like John Oliver!  If he hosted it I would buy the season on Amazon.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Sheesh Meri! Wake up, blocking people because they tell the truth isn't productive.

Meri's attitude is "Don't bother me with the truth."  

Sorry to say, since Doofus managed to snag another season out of this DITW show, Meri will still be there, suffering and martyring, because that's all she knows how to do.  

Nancy is worthless.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Quack, quack, quack.  She's a sellout just like the Brown Clown Family Circus.  

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

I thought Caleb said earlier that it was to be just Maddie and him during the actual birth? At what point did it become a spectator sport? 

An offer of extra $ for filming the whole enchilada?

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Cajungirl64 said:

I can't even believe I'm saying this because I've never been a Meri defender. But STFU Christine... you are incapable of explaining your feelings without using circular logic. IMO, she was definitely all over the place. AND, when she kept telling Meri she seemed pissed off at the lunch, she conveniently left out how completely disgusted Jeanelle looked in every camera shot (Jeanelle has always been my favorite SW, but she's not getting a free pass this time). Christine is in a really good place with Kody and the Head B**** right now so she's feeling all free to lecture Meri in her baby whispery voice.

Ugh. Kody is SUCH a douchebag. He needs to forgive Meri and make an attempt to salvage their relationship or cut her loose. Because as long as he's making her feel like he could take her or leave her, she'll never feel like part of this family again. 

On the plus side, Mariah seems like a different person. I'm happy for her. 

I'm thinking Kody has thoroughly cut Meri loose. The only reason she's there at all, and the only reason he went to Parowan was to add episodes to the dying series.  They all have a huge $take in this season, and have contributed as best they can to eke drama out of it all.  Christine offered up Ysabel.  Robin... um, Robin? Maddie may have contributed the most after all, yikes!

I loved how Janelle said with first real anger, I'M NOT DEFENSIVE, I'M FRUSTRATED!, ie., pissed!!  Yes!!!  Go J!

I do wish Robin had put more verbs in her sentences, re: being sick of this. Tell, Robin. What has Meri been doing, from your perspective?? 

And to the 3 of you, does it grate on your last nerve cell that Meri is off, gone, tuned out while her McMansion sits there empty, the "her dream" wetbar atrophying in the echo-y halls.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, kicotan said:

Considering this:

"The term ‘humilitainment’ was coined by media psychologists to describe the tendency for viewers to be attracted to scenes of humiliation or mortification, for example bullying, nudity and drunken antics."

https://www.psychologies.co.uk/culture/real-life-vs-reality-tv.html

"I once had a woman cast as a villain who turned out to be the nicest lady ever. As producer, I sat her down and said, “Listen, you were cast in this role. If you want to make good TV, if you want the series to come back and make more money next year, then you need to play along. If you don’t, you’re going to be cut out entirely.” It worked."

https://www.rd.com/culture/13-secrets-reality-tv-show-producers-wont-tell-you/

"I'd say the main thing is conflict, regardless of what the conflict is over. You can't have any TV show without there being some sort of dramatic conflict. Not every scene is geared toward that, but I'd say shows are all geared toward searching for conflict, exploiting that conflict, and amping it up."

https://www.refinery29.com/2016/11/128007/reality-tv-shows-producer-behind-the-scenes

It wouldnt surprise me AT ALL if the Brown Clan are all happy with their relationships, content in their polygamous life and glad they sold their souls for the $$$ and attention.  Everything else is just scripted drama that generates ratings and funnels fans to their various businesses (The Sisterwives Closet, LuLaWhatever, Strive, etc.), as well as their pet project to legalize polygamy.

I was noodeling on some of the same ideas today. I am sure there is some amount of collusion amongst the Browns and their "add ons." (Tony/Caleb) 

However, we were not privy to the blowout with Meri and Janelle early on that caused Janelle to leave for 2+ years, and that was without cameras. The Cat Fish story line happened to Meri, I don't think she would have knowingly agreed to that amount of humiliation, or to use a banana as a microphone (G Rated interpretation) and I don't (want to) believe the counselor (name! augh) would be so unethical as to go along with a storyline that they have had several sessions about the birthing attendance issue unless it was true. 

I do believe Meri is a total stinkbug that needs all of the glory and the limelight. and she is not able to easily cry on cue...(not a good actress) she is able to be a B within a nanosecond's notice.

I think there is plenty of room in there for making the story "work" in such a way that we the viewers have the hero, the villain etc.... so yes, I bet there is some exploitation of the conflict. Now, I don't know if everyone one would be in on the exploitation of conflict, and that would be right up Meri's ally, to continue to push others buttons while high fiving the producer. and sending the cameramen (and women, who knows) a Fruit of the Day picture with her Big Ol Mug smiling with those crazy eyes, while she sings into the fruit. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, WaterSpirit said:

The Cat Fish story line happened to Meri, I don't think she would have knowingly agreed to that amount of humiliation, or to use a banana as a microphone (G Rated interpretation) and I don't (want to) believe the counselor (name! augh) would be so unethical as to go along with a storyline that they have had several sessions about the birthing attendance issue unless it was true. 

FWIW, Meri's online/text/phone flirtations could have been an honest mistake on Meri's part, but the potential for scandal and humiliation if they created a storyline whereby she would leave it all was just too sweet of a ratings grabber deal to pass up.  Why wouldn't she go along with it?  Public humiliation is part and parcel of what this show is based on.  They KNOW most folks don't go for the polygamy thing...just look at the responses about it in this forum alone...so anything that ramps up the drama quotient with regards to it fits right into the conflict model the producers push.

As far as Therapist Nancy is concerned~ she's a prop.  Unethical starts with having a camera crew filming for a reality show inside of therapy sessions, if indeed they are "real".  As long as it's just a script for a show, she's got no ethical obligation to call anyone (Meri) out on their obvious bullshit, because it's in the script.  She's a paid actor on a reality show, not a therapist conducting REAL sessions.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Meri tiptoed into that house with Mariah and her g/f and they all tiptoed out without making a peep. WTF??? 

They giggled which I think is even worse.  Any woman, in labor without meds, is going to tell them to shut the fuck up.  Who brings a friend to a birth?

54 minutes ago, WaterSpirit said:

Raise the Red Lantern.

10 points for the awesome reference to an awesome movie.  I've seen it at least 20 times.  Never gets old.  Very pertinent to this show.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Granny58 said:
4 hours ago, ehall1052 said:

Does anyone else think this entire baby drama with Meri is ALL FAKE? Just for the storyline?  

yes, this did occur to me. 

Absolutely...

just like everything else that whips viewers into a frenzy about the allegedly "sick and wrong" polygamist lifestyle.  These people DON'T give two shits about what all y'all think about their religion, lifestyle and choices.  It is merely fodder for a fake "reality" show that is their main source of income.

People will do what most of us think are unthinkable things for $$$~the Browns are a perfect example.

• Love 3