Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Benji & David's Story

• Start Topic

Fearing that he'll suffer the same fate as older brother David, who is now 700 pounds and unable to work, Benji hopes to  be able to support both himself and his brother on their life-or-death weight loss journey.

This is the regular episode thread.  It will open at the end of the US East Coast showing. 

As always: Let's avoid discussing how money is being snatched from the public's wallet for the participants unless it’s specifically revealed on the show. Anything else is pure speculation not to mention also a slippery slope toward talking politics. 

• Love 1

I was amazed both boys. Their weight loss was incredible. And I wonder how much all that tooth work cost TLC? And those were dentures or implants? He looked great. Shame on mom for never taking him to the dentist!! 

• Love 23

OMG, the teeth, the teeth.  I do not understand how he hasn't been in pain for years from those teeth.  

I lived in a hotel for 6 months while working and managed to lose nearly 50 pounds.  I used the two burner stove, bought precooked grilled and baked chicken from the grocery store, made salad etc.  I also had a fitness center 10 steps from the elevator.  I can't begin to understand the type of stress that losing everything in a flood would create but I believe Benji could have made better food choices.  

• Love 24
2 hours ago, mellowjoi said:

OMG, the teeth, the teeth.  I do not understand how he hasn't been in pain for years from those teeth.  

I lived in a hotel for 6 months while working and managed to lose nearly 50 pounds.  I used the two burner stove, bought precooked grilled and baked chicken from the grocery store, made salad etc.  I also had a fitness center 10 steps from the elevator.  I can't begin to understand the type of stress that losing everything in a flood would create but I believe Benji could have made better food choices.  

I think that when David was close to 750 lbs, he was in so much physical pain, that it kind of masked the pain of his teeth. Making it feel minor. Then, when he finally lost the weight and started feeling better, he began to notice how bad his teeth really were.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

David and Benji, the anti-Assanti brothers.

I didn't think I was going to like David and Benji, but I ended up really pulling for them when I saw their determination to succeed, especially David. When he stepped off the scale during the first follow up visit and saw how much weight he had lost, I had tears in my eyes. And Benji, after a lazy start, really went after his goals when he saw how well his brother was doing. They both looked terrific by the end of the episode. Great job, guys!

Next week it looks like we've got another "Ow, mah leg!"

I was fully expecting David to be somewhat of an aw my lawgs, especially with his whining in the van on the way to dr Now. Pleasantly surprised he didn’t. He took it and ran with it. So happy for him.

Edited by Aw my lahgs
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

So in one scene, when David was talking, the camera keep showing Mary sitting their looking grim or bored.
I expected something to happen between them, but it never did.
One thing that got me, was if they were too poor to afford toys, growing up, how could they afford to enter kids in pageants?

Mary looked heavier to me as time went on. They don’t seem like a long-term success couple. 

• Love 21
36 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Mary looked heavier to me as time went on. They don’t seem like a long-term success couple.

Yes, she did look much heavier and not too happy.

• Love 12

Another week where I was very impressed at how good someone did! And this time it was x2. I swear this season is setting out to prove how feeble the excuses we always see are - we've had a guy without a leg exercising on a creaky prosthetic and then running, now we have someone's house flooded out and he still managed to keep the weight loss going.

I agree that Mary looked less than trilled throughout the whole process though. I'm guessing she doesn't quite know how to adjust not being the caretaker - why else would you get involved with someone who's 600 lbs if not to take care of them? - and she looked bigger in the end than when she started.

• Love 22

What kind of sorcery did the dentist perform in one month to make David a brand new smile?  Veneers? Dental implants?

Implants take months from start to finish.  That had to be veneers. I'm surprised they were even able to do that in the 1 month time frame they claimed. 

• Love 5

I loved these guys. Both guys seemed like decent people, which can be a rare thing on the show  I liked the twins from last season too. David kicked ass right off the bat. I did side eye when he told Dr Now he’d lose 50lbs the first month, because he seemed over confident, but he flew past that, and just kept rolling. His pure joy at the first weigh in was very telling. I don’t think he’d ever had a “win” before.  And Benji didn’t seem to give any fucks about losing weight at first and I was certain at the end he’d still be big. But he got it together and he has to be close to his goal weight. 

Funny how they both now weigh less or close to what their significant others weigh. I have zero hope that David and Mary will last. 

Usually the patients are train wrecks or they lose some but really don’t look much did. The change  in these two was amazing to see.  I’d love to see them back for skin surgery. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 16

How in the world could those family members, including the wife, girlfriend and mother go through this and keep eating the same way and not consider that they are grossly overweight and THEIR health is at risk too?  Why wouldn't the brothers make it a policy in their house that they are all going to get healthy.  No, they don't have to do a diet like the brothers, but, a more healthy route. That big pan of lasanga.....it was like the woman was shoving it on them.  Don't they realize they are setting the kids up for obesity too?  It's just disgusting.

So, I expect  the brothers get to goal weight, get their skin removal surgery, looking all good, etc. and then they will get a lot of attention from some new ladies.  That's quite likely, imo.  

Saying you can't eat right because you are traveling, staying in a hotel, having some troubles, etc.  is just an excuse, imo.  It really makes no sense.  They must think that people are stupid to buy it.  But, Benji still lost weight.  He likely just still eats crappy food, just smaller portions. The trouble with that is if you don't change what and how you eat, he'll likely continue with the crappy food and regain the weight. I'm not sure his wife would even mind.   I hope that doesn't happen for Benji.  Did anyone think that he didn't really seem to want to lose the weight and didn't even seem super happy when he did?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8

I remember a couple of years ago there was a guy from Arizona (I think) who succeeded in losing a lot of weight, while his wife/SO gained and seemed to be more and more unhappy as the process moved forward.  I opined then that perhaps she wanted someone who wasn't able to leave her, nor did he make any sexual demands on her.  As he lost weight, got back to work and was able to perform sexually, she became unhappy because that wasn't what she signed up for.  (I have a friend who actually was in a similar situation, and it took some adjustment for her.)  

Perhaps that's the situation with Mary.  As he got thinner and more attractive, perhaps she began to worry . . . and rather than joining him in the journey, she began to eat what he no longer could.  I hope she works it out.

Someone above mentioned how strange it was that the family was too poor for toys, but the kids were put into pageants.  In response, I have three words:  Honey Boo Boo.  It's a mentality most of us will never understand.

• Love 20

Overall this was a good episode with positive results.  I'm liking this season that we are getting really clean people, as in their homes are clean and not the disgusting pigsties we usually see.  I really liked the nice house with an indoor pool.  The hurricane last year was terrible.  I've mentioned before we travel to Houston frequently for my husband's work, and there are still families living in the hotel where we like to stay.  (My friends took their trucks and boats down there to help rescue people who were flooded in their neighborhoods.)

My only complaint was the guy complaining about not being able to cook "healthy meals" in that kitchen.  That kitchen was more than adequate!  Summer 2016 our kitchen and kids' bedroom was totally destroyed by water damage from the ceiling down.  We were in a regular hotel room for 8 weeks because our town at the time didn't have any extended stay type hotels with a kitchenette.  I'm an avid low carb/trim healthy mama "eating habit" follower, and I could have cooked anything in that kitchen shown on the show.

I was sad about the one brother's teeth, but really glad he got help.  Dental problems are miserable and his teeth were really bad.

• Love 5

The way the dentist talked, it seemed to me that he was going to go with either implants or veneers. Just the way he talked about getting the right shape.  Despite the time line, I still think it was something like that.  Maybe, they paid for an extra rush on the lab to make them. For veneers, they do take the tooth down pretty far, almost like a nub for a crown.  Which is also possible. Maybe, they were crowns or temp crowns.  I can't see David being that excited over dentures. Plus, they didn't look like any dentures I have ever seen. But, if his teeth were that brittle, how would a crown or veneer stay on securely? hmmmm.....maybe it was implants. I've had veneers, but, not implants.  

I was a little surprised that David was able to get the surgery with such bad dental problems.  It can cause infection in the bloodstream.  Hmmm.......

I thought David really is a very attractive man. When he was at the batting cage.....his girlfriend looked more like a mom than his partner. 

I would be beyond embarrassed to accompany an obese person to get help for obesity, while being very obese myself, and act if THEY are the one with the problem. lol  I mean......what planet are they living on?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 13

What a great episode. I thought Benji was a real whiner at first and was pulling for David to end up weighing less than Benji, but am so happy that they both lost so much weight. 

The better David looked, the worse Mary looked. I bet people will mistake her for his mother when they go out.

Looks like another bedbound person next week. I don't know if I will watch. I don't think I can stand another episode where it takes half the show just to get to Houston.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, AnnaBaptist said:

What a great episode. I thought Benji was a real whiner at first and was pulling for David to end up weighing less than Benji, but am so happy that they both lost so much weight. 

The better David looked, the worse Mary looked. I bet people will mistake her for his mother when they go out.

Looks like another bedbound person next week. I don't know if I will watch. I don't think I can stand another episode where it takes half the show just to get to Houston.

This was the description for next week's show according to TV Guide. Does anyone know her last name? I would like to see some of her modeling pictures if this is accurate. 

"A former plus-size model and "big is beautiful" advocate, Renee now realizes the mortal mistakes she has made as her weight swells to 600 pounds and her health deteriorates."

• Love 5

I couldn't get past those decayed teeth. Yikes!  It must've been agony to eat, it's a wonder the pain from those teeth alone didn't cause him to loose weight.

It's true that the bed bound obese, living in messy depressing rooms, never getting outside - seem to fail most of the time.  I guess eating is their only pleasure in life.  But surely their teeth are ten times worse?  Dentists don't make house calls.

Both brothers will be  attractive guys once the weight and skin is off.  Like others have commented - I don't see a future for David's marriage unless she loses weight too.  She seemed bored and disinterested by the process.

Dr. Now is looking old and bent.  How old is he?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Someone above mentioned how strange it was that the family was too poor for toys, but the kids were put into pageants.  In response, I have three words:  Honey Boo Boo.  It's a mentality most of us will never understand.

Oh my gosh, it did not even register for me that Mom was blowing *money* on pageants while crying poverty!  I was thinking only about the time and attention (and dental care?! WTF.*) that was diverted away from David. Geez. No wonder he had issues to work out! What the hell is wrong with these pageant moms?

Mom seemed less than happy throughout a lot of this. I wonder if she feels any responsibility at all. I get the vibe that she and Mary both have that resentful, left-behind attitude that we have seen in some caretakers. They also both may feel lousy about their own weight and be carrying the negative feelings and guilt about it that women in our society are more prone to than men. The other GF/wife? seemed more poisitive but I am not sure  

i arrived late to start watching this and had to “restart” via OnDemand, and for some reason part of the program was missing. It went from them leaving Dr Now after the first visit to Benji being approved for surgery. I need to see the whole thing so I hope it magically healed overnight!

* Did her pageant babies have rotten teeth also? Do the judges check teeth like at the Westminster dog show? Did they ever win?

ETA I think Dr Now is in his 70s. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 7

I think Dr. Now is 72 or 73. Is his son, the executive producer, also a surgeon? Wonder who'll take over for Dr. Now when he can't operate anymore. 

I did like this episode. Both brothers did really well, heck, at the end, Benji is about my weight at 218.  Probably will be very close to goal after skin removal. It did seem to me that Benji was afraid to try really committing himself to the diet and surgery until he saw David go through it. And again, with their mother admitting she let them eat whatever they wanted, and thought that David would "grow out" of his weight problem, ugh! And the fact that she never took them to a dentist, but had the time and energy to enter Benji in beauty pageants-what the heck is up with her priorities? 

I agree with the poster above who said that mobility is very important to ultimate success. I did like when Dr. Now told the brothers right up front when they were making excuses about why they were obese. 

• Love 10

I was taken aback when David said that losing that first 40 pounds would be EASY.  I mean, what person who weighs over 600 pounds says that?  Very odd, imo.  Of course, he followed through, but, still.....that would have been a red flag for me. 

Does anyone know what the aftercare eating plan is for those who have bypass, like David vs. those with gastric sleeve like Benji? I mean, after you heal and you go forward years later.  What must they eat? Is it still only protein? Can you add a few healthy grains?  Any fruits?  

• Love 2

maybe it was implants. I've had veneers, but, not implants

I just had an implant.  From extraction then bone healing, to post insertion then bone healing, to having the crown made and placed, was 9 months.  And my mouth was healthy to start with. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Aw my lahgs said:

I was fully expecting David to be somewhat of an aw my lawgs, especially with his whining in the van on the way to dr Now. Pleasantly surprised he didn’t. He took it and ran with it. So happy for him.

I just got to say this made me laugh so hard, I'm still laughing. Not only is An Ah Mah legs a noun, but I really just laughed cause you spelled it wrong!! as an Aw My Lawgs...hee heee heee..sorry dont know why I find this so hilarious

EDITED TO ADD: Oh that is how you spell your user name? HA HA HA did he say Lawgs? I though it was Lay-yugs as in OW MAH LAY YUGS

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Saying you can't eat right because you are traveling, staying in a hotel, having some troubles, etc.  is just an excuse, imo.  It really makes no sense.  They must think that people are stupid to buy it.  

I have to say there was one time in my life I used this as an excuse for getting fat. My son was in a hospital in berlin for 3 weeks, I flew there last minute (from USA) it was a life threatening emergency while he was backpacking europe I was alone in a regular hotel, I didnt speak the language. I hate to eat out alone. I just went to this little grocery store and bought bread, cookies, cheese and crackers and ate that for 3 weeks and a pastry from a cafe while walking to the hospital. I sat with him in the hospital all day. I have a bad foot and it was really acting up those weeks so I could barely walk. I gained 10 pounds! Once I ordered some wurst from room service. Lol. I guess I could have found an apple or something but I was just distraught. I also drank beer in my hotel room with my cheese sandwiches. I had the mini fridge

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

* Did her pageant babies have rotten teeth also? Do the judges check teeth like at the Westminster dog show? Did they ever win?

I learned while watching Toddlers and Tiara's that they wear fake teeth called flippers.

Edited by Cherrio
  • Love 7

I didn't find either brother attractive. They have little pig type ears and eyes.  The single (with girlfriend) brother looked like a mutant version of James Farantino post facelift.

james-farentino-dies-heart-failure.jpg.ca15e083ad9a970fb5395a5873bb836e.jpg

• Love 2
13 hours ago, mmecorday said:

David and Benji, the anti-Assanti brothers.

I didn't think I was going to like David and Benji, but I ended up really pulling for them when I saw their determination to succeed, especially David. When he stepped off the scale during the first follow up visit and saw how much weight he had lost, I had tears in my eyes. And Benji, after a lazy start, really went after his goals when he saw how well his brother was doing. They both looked terrific by the end of the episode. Great job, guys!

Next week it looks like we've got another "Ow, mah leg!"

They were amazing!!! And wow, such handsome men! 

10 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I agree, I just hope she doesn't take him down with her. 

6 hours ago, Quof said:

Implants take months from start to finish.  That had to be veneers. I'm surprised they were even able to do that in the 1 month time frame they claimed. 

I had them and it took around 9 months from start to finish. 

• Love 4

I always question why the wait so long to deal with the mental health aspect of the over eating because in almost all cases there  is on and wouldn't it make the journey easier if they dealt with it in the beginning?? OH yah not as good of tv...

• Love 11
14 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I was amazed both boys. Their weight loss was incredible. And I wonder how much all that tooth work cost TLC? And those were dentures or implants? He looked great. Shame on mom for never taking him to the dentist!! 

One has to ask oneself how you can enter your kid in a beauty pageant but not take him to a dentist. Even if you’re not concerned about their health, one would think you’re concerned about their appearance!

Anyway, it was great to see that both of those men got it together. And they both were looking really good and are on the road to being healthier now.  Not easy, but they did it and how refreshing.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, calpurnia99 said:

I have to say there was one time in my life I used this as an excuse for getting fat. My son was in a hospital in berlin for 3 weeks, I flew there last minute (from USA) it was a life threatening emergency while he was backpacking europe I was alone in a regular hotel, I didnt speak the language. I hate to eat out alone. I just went to this little grocery store and bought bread, cookies, cheese and crackers and ate that for 3 weeks and a pastry from a cafe while walking to the hospital. I sat with him in the hospital all day. I have a bad foot and it was really acting up those weeks so I could barely walk. I gained 10 pounds! Once I ordered some wurst from room service. Lol. I guess I could have found an apple or something but I was just distraught. I also drank beer in my hotel room with my cheese sandwiches. I had the mini fridge

Okay. Maybe, you had an excuse.  lol  Just kidding.  You know what I mean.

In the USA, grocery stores are easily available, some even deliver.  You can purchase precooked turkey, chicken, to add to your veggies.  Veggies can be prepared in microwave.  Eggs prepared in microwave, etc.  A modern hotel suite with fridge and microwave is pretty convenient. I don't know about places in other countries. 

• Love 2

David was such a loving older brother, doing what he could to get Benji to come along with him to lose weight.  Benji confessed that he wasn't sure he really wanted the surgery, but once David was so successful in losing weight and had the surgery, Benji seemed to wake up and did an impressive job himself.  I had the feeling that David is not competitive; he learned his place as second-best when his mother didn't put him in beauty pageants--but Benji is competitive, and when David began to succeed, Beni couldn't stand the idea of being outshone by his big, "ugly" brother.  I'm happy for both of them, but I really admire David and his sweet nature.  He genuinely cares about Benji and even put Benji's weight loss before his own when he refused to have surgery until Benji was ready to have surgery, too.

David by all rights should be bitter and happy when he was losing weight and Benji wasn't.  He's certainly entitled to be resentful for a lifetime of second place.

Add me to those outraged that Mom found the money for pageants but not for trips to the dentist--or even for toys, according to David.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Okay. Maybe, you had an excuse.  lol  Just kidding.  You know what I mean.

In the USA, grocery stores are easily available, some even deliver.  You can purchase precooked turkey, chicken, to add to your veggies.  Veggies can be prepared in microwave.  Eggs prepared in microwave, etc.  A modern hotel suite with fridge and microwave is pretty convenient. I don't know about places in other countries. 

I know I did have an excuse, lol, plus I am an emotional eater- he almost died from meningitis he caught in a hostel, they didnt know if he would make it. My eating habit is carbs, carbs and more carbs. The funny thing about the German hospital is they brought all the patients sausages and real butter all the time! Then they would put that silver cover over the entree, like it was some gourmet platter, and we would take it off and crack up as it was 2 pcs of black bread and some kind of unidentifiable cold cut like mortadella! Then at 2PM every day the nurses came around and offered a cup of coffee to all the patients! I kid you not!

• Love 7

The other thing, the 1200 calorie a day diet. I am a woman and weigh around 140 pounds and I would DIE of hunger on that. I would get a headache and be unable to sleep or function at all due to being absolutely famished. I don't understand how Dr Now thinks that is possible for a man, especially like Benji who is running around at work all day,not to be able to function with massive hunger all the time. A 600 pound man can lose lots of weight on 2200 calories a day and wouldn't be starving to death.  

Do you think he says 1200 calories a day and knows they will probably eat about 2200 a day and lose plenty of weight on 2200 a day? To me a low low cal diet like that is deprivation and will backfire.  I say you need to be satisfied to stay on something for the long term. Weight Watchers had this CORE plan back in 2008, which was perfect for me, I felt satisfied and didn't have to count calories, I found foods that were allowed that satisfied me. Its of course not for everyone, but I made it work for me so I stayed on it for 6 months and lost 35 pounds. I felt very little deprivation. It's basically you can eat anything that comes out of the earth in whatever quanties you like, fat free dairy, and no white carbs, but brown carbs in limited amounts such as whole wheat pasta and brown rice,  If I had tried 1200 calories a day, I would have been a total failure. 

• Love 4

REf. the weight loss.  I think I've heard that the doctor wants rapid weight loss before the bariatric surgery, because it makes it easier to get to their organs, it also does something to the liver that helps with the surgery. I heard that from another doctor on Family by the Ton.  Also, as Dr. Now has said, they have so much fat stored that they are not going to suffer from too few calories. They could likely last a long time with no food.  This is what I believe, based on what I've heard watching this type of show and this show. 

People are different.  I strive for around 1200-1500 per day to lose weight.  If I ate more, I don't think I"d lose anything. 

• Love 5