Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 3/5/18

buffynut
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I agree with that.  She is a rich white woman.  She has never needed to be a feminist because she was born with every opportunity at her fingertips.  And she is wrong.  Feminism isn't all about reproductive rights.  Sunny explained she is personally against abortion but believes in equal pay and a host of other things in regard to feminism.

Yep, she tries so hard to make the audiences sympathize with “red America” and understand “Trump’s base” can’t stand when people complain about racism. Who cares if Trump calls Elizabeth Warren pocahauntus, he’s playing to his “base”? Does the “Hollywood-Elitist” Meryl Streep realize she only creates more Trump voters when she writes a speech about being disgusted that Trump would mock a disabled man? Meghan is the one who paints the picture of the Trump voter as hillbilly racists who roll their eyes at the word racist, don’t care about sexual assault, and just want their guns and beer cans. 

Meghan has lived a more privileged life than anyone at that table — I remember she said that when it comes to equal pay women need to ask for the salary they are worth. Let’s say Meghan makes more than $50k a month (when Sherri was on the show I remember reading that’s what she made).... does Meghan think that those entry level teachers in West Virginia who make a starting salary of $32k A YEAR are really worth that much less than she is?  But you know what, Meghan is right — those teachers should have simply told the hiring manager that they are worth $32k a month, not a year, and the gender pay gap problems will be solved. Easy fix. Meghan’s problems are bigger than those women’s problems because some of them would be welcomed at the Women’s March. Poor Meghan, stuck in liberal New York with an incredible salary. Poor Meghan. 

• Love 20
5 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I did have to give Meghan credit for calling out Whoopi's bullshit about she herself inviting Conservative women to Women's Marches and such. "Which women?"   Whoopi had no answer but "I'll tell you later."

(Whoopi should have said "all your good friends.")

That reminds me of when Whoopi invited Tiffany Trump to sit with her at that fashion show—can’t remember the name of it. LOL. When is that gonna happen?  Can Whoopi wear her “It’s Mueller Time” sweatshirt?  

• Love 5
(edited)

I just got around to watching the actual show and Meghan is playing the victim, again. I had no idea conservative women were such a marginalized group -- according to Meghan.

She said the Women's March felt very "exclusive" outside of her, and that she wants to celebrate all women. She says she wants women like Condolezza Rice and Carly Fiorina to be included in such events. When did anybody, man or woman, come out and say conservative women couldn't participate in something like the Women's March? Oh I forgot, nobody invites poor Meghan personally so of course that means all conservative women are under attack.

I'm glad Sunny corrected her, saying that she feels feminism is very INCLUSIVE, not EXCLUSIVE, Meghan.

I laughed when Joy took her glasses off and asked Meghan, "Can I read you the definition of feminism?" Meghan then says, putting her hand up to Joy in a STOP motion, "I know it but --" blah, blah whatever else she said. Joy continues, "Let's go back to the source. The definition is that women and men should have equal rights and opportunities." I wish Joy would've asked Meghan, before reading that definition, "What do you think feminism is, Meghan?" I bet she would've thrown in something about liberals, being a conservative, planned parenthood, b-b-but Hillary Clinton (which she did bring up again today), poor me, ect. She has no sense of history, facts, ect outside of her little privileged conservative world. Why is someone this seemingly ignorant allowed to dominate the conversation, usually unchallenged?

Meghan also says, "But Whoopi, I find talking about it with you [including conservative women in conversations about feminism, ect] very open and productive." In other words, she knows Whoopi will take it easy on her.

I agree with many of you -- Whoopi feels like she's the only voice of reason at the table and what she says is the gospel truth. No, ma'am, it's not.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 20
6 minutes ago, backformore said:

Feminism = equal rights.  Equal pay, employment, housing, education, etc.  that's all it is.   When someone says they disagree with "feminism", they are basically saying that it is OK to discriminate against women. 

What infuriates me is when a woman will say I'm not a feminist, I like men.  

• Love 23
1 hour ago, pachebo said:

Posters here have described MM's demeanor in the walkout as "gunning for bear". On yesterday's show she looked like she was going on a big game hunt right after the show. That outfit did NOT flatter!

Yes, as a fellow large-busted, short-waisted woman, that outfit was NOT a good look. The big belt and high waist is the opposite of what she needs. 

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Why is someone this seemingly ignorant allowed to dominate the conversation, usually unchallenged?

I ask this question everyday.  Or more accurately, scream at the television.

• Love 19

I don't know why I keep recording this show. I must be either a masochist or I hope things improve. I fast forward through most of the show, because it's either Whoopi's incomprehensible rants, or the Meghan the Twat Monologues. Is this not a panel, as in everyone gets to say their View? So they both need to shut the yap and stop monopolizing the panel. The poor guests can't get in a word edgewise because of these two.

I'm not sure yet if I should hate a certain someone for being willfully ignorant, or if she's just not that smart and doesn't know it because, princess. Either way, I wish she would suck her sippy cup and stop interrupting the adults.

• Love 14
10 minutes ago, backformore said:

WHoopi and Joy are the two at the table who can speak to times when equal rights for women were laughed at.    big things I recall -  newspapers had a "help wanted"  section (that's where you'd look for jobs before the internet and indeed.com)  Jobs were listed as "Help Wanted Male"  and "Help Wanted Female."   It was commonly accepted that a woman with a college degree would be hired as an assistant or secretary to a man with the exact same qualifications.  Women came out of college, applied for jobs, and were asked about their typing skills, men were not.  It was acceptable to pay women less money because she either had a husband to support her, or she was going to leave anyway once she found one.  A man whose wife "had to work"  was viewed as a failure, unable to provide for his family.  My mother was shocked when I got approved for a store credit card, IN MY OWN NAME.  That was unheard of for her.  A biology professor at my college bragged about never giving a female student an A in his class.  He thought it was terrible that women were getting accepted into medical schools, when they would "work a few years, then quit to have babies".  so he was determined to lower their GPA's to make them less likely to get into med school.   When people tell me they aren't feminists, to me it means that all of the above are perfectly acceptable to them.

I wanted to post this again. It's like some women have either forgotten, or accepted, or have no idea what happened in the recent past.  So easily some women give up what was fought hard for and it makes me sad.

I loved what Joy said. Her mom worked and supported the family, but she didn't think she was a feminist.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, nokat said:

I loved what Joy said. Her mom worked and supported the family, but she didn't think she was a feminist.

She probably didn't think she was a feminist because she didn't burn her bra.  Because according to Whoopi that is what feminists did.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, backformore said:

Catching up on this week's shows.  Chelsea Clinton was thoughtful, intelligent, and very likeable.   Meghan asking her to explain what Trump supporters see in trump was ridiculous, and then to ask "does it surprise you that it's 85%?"  was ridiculous.  Chelsea was not there to explain why Republicans think the way they do, and Meghan was wrong in pushing her to give a response seemed, to me, to be the definition of a "gotcha"  question.  MM was hoping to get a quote that could be construed in a way that pushed an agenda.  Meghan, you can't outsmart someone who is obviously so much smarter than you.  Chelsea didn't take the bait, didn't argue, just responded with grace. 

Meghan was pretty transparent in repeating 85%!!!!!!  over and over.  Yeah, megs, cognitive dissonance. Look it up.  People who voted for trump want to think of themselves as intelligent and informed, and will dismiss any facts that make them think they were wrong in voting for him. 

nailed it

that is all

• Love 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, backformore said:

It was acceptable to pay women less money because she either had a husband to support her, or she was going to leave anyway once she found one. ...  My mother was shocked when I got approved for a store credit card, IN MY OWN NAME. 

I graduated from high school in 1958 and went to work as a stenographer.  Most large companies at that time gave physical exams to young women; we were too innocent to know they were merely checking to see if we were pregnant.  If so, not hired.     I also got approved for a credit card in my name when I was married; however, when the MERVYN'S bill came, it was in my husband's name (mid-1970s).

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 6
(edited)

Were any of you so happy to see Sara on the red carpet, and silently thinking, come back to us Sara!

Or not so silent. ;)

Off topic too, but I miss her!

Edited by nokat
  • Love 5

I quite liked the feminism discussion today, in fact the show was pretty good overall. I know that some people take offense when someone says they are not a feminist, but it usually stems from being excluded from the movement, even though they believe that men and women should have equal rights. The definition makes a lot of people a feminist, but some loud judgemental people in the movement tell others that you can't be a feminist and be pro-life, or ask questions about certain #meetoo issues, or be Muslim, or this, or that.

There's a reason why #SolidarityIsForWhiteWomen became so popular and why White Feminism is now being addressed. I think most sane people want women and men to be given the same opportunities and pay, but there is a movement within feminism that makes it seem like anyone who isn't white, and doesn't follow Lena Dunham's brand of feminism, to be an anti-feminist.

Whoopi made the best point in this discussion that initially feminism really did exclude people, when it should have included everyone. And she also made a great point as to why abortion is a topic for it.

It was a great discussion.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, nokat said:

Were any of you so happy to see Sara on the red carpet, and silently thinking, come back to us Sara!

Or not so silent. ;)

Off topic too, but I miss her!

She returns on Monday.

3 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

but there is a movement within feminism that makes it seem like anyone who isn't white, and doesn't follow Lena Dunham's brand of feminism, to be an anti-feminist.

Oh Fuck Dunham. Gloria Steinem is my Feminist IDOL.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 11
47 minutes ago, backformore said:

WHoopi and Joy are the two at the table who can speak to times when equal rights for women were laughed at.    big things I recall -  newspapers had a "help wanted"  section (that's where you'd look for jobs before the internet and indeed.com)  Jobs were listed as "Help Wanted Male"  and "Help Wanted Female."   It was commonly accepted that a woman with a college degree would be hired as an assistant or secretary to a man with the exact same qualifications.  Women came out of college, applied for jobs, and were asked about their typing skills, men were not.  It was acceptable to pay women less money because she either had a husband to support her, or she was going to leave anyway once she found one.  A man whose wife "had to work"  was viewed as a failure, unable to provide for his family.  My mother was shocked when I got approved for a store credit card, IN MY OWN NAME.  That was unheard of for her.  A biology professor at my college bragged about never giving a female student an A in his class.  He thought it was terrible that women were getting accepted into medical schools, when they would "work a few years, then quit to have babies".  so he was determined to lower their GPA's to make them less likely to get into med school.   When people tell me they aren't feminists, to me it means that all of the above are perfectly acceptable to them.  

Exactly!!!  Thank you!  I am of the age where I remember very well the low expectations.  We mostly just accepted that that was the way it was.

BTW - my brother in law still calls feminists “women’s libbers” (remember that one?).

• Love 10
(edited)
28 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh Fuck Dunham. Gloria Steinham is my Feminist IDOL.

I'm sure many would agree with you there, but the unfortunate fact is that these days most see feminism as the Lena Dunhams and Amy Schumers, which is why you have this backlash towards the label.

I think Meghan is a feminist by definition, but she does have a point that if you're pro-life there are people who will say you're not part of the movement. She can take ownership of the word and not care what others thing, but people will still criticize her for her choice. It's one thing I can sympathize with her on, because as a Muslim I've seen people say that you can't be Muslim and a feminist, or you can't wear a hijab and be for women's rights (Iran is free when the women don't wear hijabs, but they're oppressed when they wear them). And as a black person, I believe that the wage gap should be equal, but I also understand that this tends to benefit white women and the rest of us are forgotten. White women don't make the same amount as white men, but they make more than black men and black women make even less. They're not afforded the same opportunities and due to the high incarceration rates for black, latino, and native men, the women have to work longer hours just to sustain their household. Then there's the whole issue with breast cancer, where most of the research goes for white middle class women and not all women.

It's a tricky and complex thing for a term that is really simple. That's why there are people who reject the term feminist, even though they're still feminists.

I hope this made sense and didn't just come off as random babbling. It probably did, but...

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 14
(edited)
5 hours ago, backformore said:

Wednesday, Whoopi talking about the trump/stormy daniels story - she talks about it as "adultery".  NO, the AFFAIR is not the issue.  It's the PAYOFF that's the issue.  

Just like Watergate - it's not the crime, it's the cover-up.    Trump denied the affair, even though his lawyer admits to paying Stormy daniels to be quiet about it.  You don't pay somebody $130,000 to keep quiet about something that didn't happen.   I hate that The View focuses on the adultery, when that's not the issue.

I see your point, but maybe Whoopi's issue was that his "Christian" base seems to have  no objection  to adultery ...the sin. (!) The base is turning a blind eye to many things that seem contrary to their super religious beliefs. Anyway, that's how I heard it

Funny clip about Sanders. 

Glad Sara is coming back

Edited by ari333
  • Love 7
56 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

She probably didn't think she was a feminist because she didn't burn her bra.  Because according to Whoopi that is what feminists did.

Whoopi dear, the women's libbers were the bra burners.  (I didn't burn mine, but felt the urge & stood for the cause!!)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Alexis2291 said:

Meghan also says, "But Whoopi, I find talking about it with you [including conservative women in conversations about feminism, ect] very open and productive." In other words, she knows Whoopi will take it easy on her.

I think it's called ass kissing 101

• Love 15
16 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I'm not a fan of this MM rehab and make her likable tour the show is doing. 

And how's that working out? I can only judge from the comments here.

• Love 4

oh puke, she was on Nightline. And yes, being a gal who went to college in the late 60's....yes we did burn our bras, it was great. I did it, it was wonderful. Stopped wearing a bra too...but then realized I needed a job after college. Snort. But honey, we let it hang free after working hours, until the mid 70's or later as I recall.  Hey, just watch the film Network with Miss Dunaway, it was also THE FASHION in the 70's.  Nobody wore a bra. 

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I'm sure many would agree with you there, but the unfortunate fact is that these days most see feminism as the Lena Dunhams and Amy Schumers, which is why you have this backlash towards the label.

Who made them the face of feminism?

And therein lies the problem.  Why does feminism need a celebrity to promote or endorse it?

• Love 10
3 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

Megan, meanwhile, was over in the conservative sandbox trying to fling shit in everybody's eyes. 

Thanks to much repetition, I know what Meghan views are on many things, but I don't know her thinking behind those views.  Why is she prolife? It is for religious or scientific reasons? Could she imagine any exception to her prolife stance? Spend your air time telling us the reasoning behind your opinions, Megan you don't have to keep telling us who your family is.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

Thanks to much repetition, I know what Meghan views are on many things, but I don't know her thinking behind those views.  Why is she prolife? It is for religious or scientific reasons? Could she imagine any exception to her prolife stance? Spend your air time telling us the reasoning behind your opinions, Megan you don't have to keep telling us who your family is.

Well, she did say that to her feminism would mean equality for all women, even unborn ones.  Luckily no one reacted to that statement.  But I guess her position is not just that the movement excludes pro-life people by not inviting them to speak at a march; it's that you cannot be a feminist if you are pro-life because you are not for equal rights for unborn women.  Wow.

• Love 4

Isn't Meghan just resorting to the same playbook Bitsy used? When faced with overwhelming support of a movement her side rejects, she attempts to splinter the masses, sow division. With Bitsy it was, if you don't support the Iraq War, then you don't support the troops. Similarly, with the Women's March - MM's view is that if you don't fully embrace the prolifers and put them front and center, then calling this a Women's March is somehow inauthentic. As with Bitsy, I don't believe these are firmly held beliefs, just what they were coached to say. Strategery. 

• Love 13

I was quite amazed that such supposedly intelligent women (except for Joy) did not understand what the word 'feminist' means.

It's about equality, not pro or con planned parenthood, hating men (!), not wanting to be treated politely. And young women, especially, shy away from that word, not realizing that the fruits of *our* labour (I grew up in the 60s) have helped give them the choices and opportunities they have today. I love the word. It doesn't evoke negative emotions when I hear it. I think 'strong', 'capable', 'intelligent' and I am PROUD to be a feminist!

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, fishsanwitt said:

I was quite amazed that such supposedly intelligent women (except for Joy) did not understand what the word 'feminist' means.

It's about equality, not pro or con planned parenthood, hating men (!), not wanting to be treated politely. And young women, especially, shy away from that word, not realizing that the fruits of *our* labour (I grew up in the 60s) have helped give them the choices and opportunities they have today. I love the word. It doesn't evoke negative emotions when I hear it. I think 'strong', 'capable', 'intelligent' and I am PROUD to be a feminist!

And then you have Deborah Roberts, who is 57 and should know better, worried that being a feminist means a man cannot open the door for you, etc.

Feminists were certainly maligned in the 70s.  If you said you were a feminist, people, both men and women, took that to mean a man-hater.  I don't think that still exists though.  It is a very different world today and most young women certainly expect equality.  It doesn't mean it exists, but that is their expectation.

For Elsa to believe that feminism has anything to do with your beliefs related to religion or abortion, etc. is wrong in the definition of the word, as Joy pointed out.  The movement itself has taken small p political stances, or factions within the movement have.  But it makes no sense that not every woman would be a feminist (and every man, for that matter, but that is another discussion).  Whoopi bringing up how the feminist movements excluded women of colour just fed into Elsa's weird logic. 

• Love 12
(edited)
45 minutes ago, fishsanwitt said:

Whoppi completely understood it too, but she comes at it from the perspective of a woman of color. There is a litany of scholarship from WOC about how the Feminist movement generally was centered upon white, middle to upper middle class women, downplaying or minimizing that WOC face different obstacles that they do. WOC often faced more discrimination because of class and race than sex, which is why they felt excluded from the Feminist movement and largely didn't identify with it. Where there WOC feminists? Absolutely - those who believed in equality between the sexes, worked hard for it and demonstrated the principles of feminism in their everyday lives - Whoppi gave her own mother as an example. Were they part of the Feminist movement? Largely no. That was the difference between what Joy and Whoppi were discussing - it was actually a pretty nuanced conversation. 

I don't think society distinguishes enough between the Feminist movement and feminism as a concept. Else certainly doesn't.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 13
(edited)
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

I want Whoopi's sweatshirt. (Never thought I'd say that.)

I am absolutely gobsmacked that Meghan didn't grill Adam about refusing to meet Mike Pense.  

Love the sweatshirt too.

At first I thought it said "It's Miller Time" and was surprised that Whoopi was sticking it to MM!  The huge family wealth on her Mom's side is from Anheuser Bush which distributes several beers (including Budweiser) but none of which is Miller beer.  Then I put on my glasses and saw the shirt said "It's Mueller Time". 

And of course  MM spoke passionately about the new tariffs which will directly affect the price of beer cans ... and her family business.

The discussion of feminism was good.  Just like there are highly visible extremes in both parties that make moderates uncomfortable (ultra conservative Republicans and ultra liberal Democrats) there are extremes in the feminism camp.  Glad that Joy provided the definition.  

Edited by CathinAZ
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Isn't Meghan just resorting to the same playbook Bitsy used? When faced with overwhelming support of a movement her side rejects, she attempts to splinter the masses, sow division. With Bitsy it was, if you don't support the Iraq War, then you don't support the troops. Similarly, with the Women's March - MM's view is that if you don't fully embrace the prolifers and put them front and center, then calling this a Women's March is somehow inauthentic. As with Bitsy, I don't believe these are firmly held beliefs, just what they were coached to say. Strategery. 

That's what it is exactly. And people of her ilk have done a good job turning the word "feminist" into something (some) people won't own because of adjacent, bullshit issues that have nothing to do with the central idea of equality.

For some reason McCain used her usual (invented, imo) story about learning about oral sex because of the Monica Lewinsky scandal to try to shutdown the guest co-host's valid comment that average people are having a hard time hearing this disgusting story with their kids around. Does one story somehow negate the other??? Parents should be less upset because something that happened in the '90s makes it better? She's completely nonsensical.

Adam Rippon was fun; you could tell he had rehearsed what he'd planned to say. I hope he and Sally Fields' son work out. She would be a great mother-in-law.

• Love 11

Just watched Wednesday's show.

Meghan, an overweight person does not need to wear a one piece green jumpsuit with pockets on the chest, wide brown belt and hair tied back.  This does nothing for you.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, backformore said:

Yes, as a fellow large-busted, short-waisted woman, that outfit was NOT a good look. The big belt and high waist is the opposite of what she needs. 

none of her outfits flatter her figure.  I am at a loss as to what would look good on her?   Any ideas???????  One outfit she had on was all black and she looked like she was in mourning.

• Love 4

If they are trying to rehab MM. LOSING! I liked the conversation about feminism. Chelsea did great. I'm happy that Sara will be back and pissed that my new husband, Justin Hartley got a short segment.   

I continue to question why I watch a show I clearly can't stand. Topics cool. MM, WG not so much.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Fannysue said:

none of her outfits flatter her figure.  I am at a loss as to what would look good on her?   Any ideas???????  One outfit she had on was all black and she looked like she was in mourning.

I thought she looked nice today.

Her best outfit was  a denim shirt and possibly leggings.  She looked 30 pounds less than in pretty much every outfit they give her.

• Love 1

Seems to me today of all days and the shows topics I say let the panel wear what they want to - and all women. It's not a fashion show.....unless they like to - and that is not a problem either. I'd rather listen to their Views.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Tanichka said:

BTW - my brother in law still calls feminists “women’s libbers” (remember that one?).

My ex...when he was my husband, told some of my friends I was a "militant women's libber.  Apparently everyone laughed.  He was a great con-man but beneath if all, he was frightened of everything.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

pissed that my new husband, Justin Hartley got a short segment.   

I was pissed they wasted so much of the segment asking him about The Bachelor instead of his own show which he was there to promote.

I probably won't get to see today's show because our local ABC station is most likely airing the funeral procession for a slain police officer, so I expect you all to fill me in on anything I'm missing.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Seems to me today of all days and the shows topics I say let the panel wear what they want to - and all women. It's not a fashion show.....unless they like to - and that is not a problem either. I'd rather listen to their Views.

While I agree that women should wear what they want to wear, I find that unflattering clothing is very distracting.  I keep doing makeovers in my head & lose track of what they're saying.  But, that's just me.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, geekburger said:

Joy was READY with that definition of feminism!

It may have been The View, or it may have been another female-centric talk show, but Gloria Steinem was asked the definition of feminism and she replied something like 'the definition is in the dictionary and it says...', just matter of fact, all steak, no sizzle.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, backformore said:

As a former researcher, I am bothered by Meghan constantly spouting percentages without giving a source or more details.  

85% or Republicans still support trump

54% of people don't consider themselves feminist.

If you're going to focus so much on those numbers, give details.  Was there a survey? In person, by phone, or written?  who was surveyed, and what exact questions were asked?  These things matter.  Simply by tweaking the wording of a question, you can get numbers that back up whatever you want it to.  Don't rely on a simple percentage to convey a complex idea, it doesn't work like that. 

Boo-hoo Meghan wasn't invited to the women's march.  Yeah - show up if you want to show up.  March, demonstrate, speak - but don't expect the feminists that you despise so much, to GIVE you the platform to speak, to pay you, or invite you. The pro-choice women work hard to get their ideas out there.   If you're ANTI-CHOICE, don't expect the pro-choice women to GIVE you the platform - find your own.  (yeah, I reject the label "pro-life"  to apply here.  We're all PRO life.)

Though I do find it interesting that most people who call themselves "pro-life" in terms of reproductive rights, are also PRO-guns.  Aren't guns inherently ANTI-life?  

I have read this board (and TWP before it) for YEARS and had to create an account for the very first time because of this post.  I don't think anyone has ever put words to exactly how I feel in such a concise manner before now.  Every word, from spouting percentages with no context to the dichotomy of "pro-life"/"pro-gun" hypocrisy is brilliant.  It's only 10 AM and you've made my day.  Bravo!

• Love 18