Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E12: Nut Allergy

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

The Voltaggio Brothers reunite on Top Chef for the first time since competing against each other. Their first task is judging the Rocky Mountain Oyster Quickfire to see which chef has the balls to go all the way.  Then, they reunite the chefs with surprise visitors from home in an emotionally charged Elimination Challenge where one chef will pack their knives before the next leg of the finals in beautiful Aspen. 

• Love 1

Biggest "awww" moment was from "Grandma Mary" when she said she felt bad for not giving Joe enough to work with. She reminds me of my mother and that's exactly what my mom would have said. I'm glad Joe didn't go home just so Grandma Mary wouldn't feel bad!

I've liked all the chef's so no matter who went home it was going to be a bummer, but that's just how it goes! 

• Love 17

Can't wait to see what the ghost of Moustache Joe's mom cooks up next week, will she make it to the finale????

I know this is on the editors, and not Joe himself - I don't like him, I'm not rooting for him, however it does genuinely suck that he lost his mother - but god am I sick of that sob story. I wish reality competition shows would knock this shit off.

Edited by annewithaneee
  • Love 13

I’m so happy that Adrienne is coming on strong at the end.  She and her mom were so cute together. Adrienne for the win.  I really felt for Joe Sasto. It’s so hard to lose your mother at such a young age. Joe Flamm’s grandmother was what all grandmas should be, and if Adrienne can’t win, I hope Joe Flamm takes it.  And I was never a fan of Carrie, but she went out with class.

My boo Bryan Voltaggio looks great and I have to admit that I am still a little bitter that he lost his season (the best season) to Michael, whose neck tattoos are very off-putting. On the other hand, Michael showed more personality tonight than I have ever seen before. 

I gagged at the thought of eating testicles.  And where is Gail? I hope she is there for the finale.

• Love 23

Finally! B'bye fancy toast shovelface. I was glad to see Joe say the same thing I was yelling at the TV - is she gonna put it on toast? Joe S, Adrienne and Claudette were the only people I could stomach this season. Glad to see Adrienne win one, although I thought she should have won the QF as well.

• Love 1

I’ve been pretty bored by Adrienne wandering in the desert all season but this deconstructed gumbo was brilliant. Sasto woke up a couple weeks back, which reminds me of past seasons when Tom would comment on a cheftestant peaking at the right time. I have a soft spot for Spiaggia Joe, but those ravilolo aren’t bitches, dude. 

So all in all, whatever. May the best dish win and may they not make any obstacle course challenges. 

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, JD5166 said:

One of those vottalgio brothers looks very thin and like he could find me some rock. Otherwise, this epi made me very sad I picked up late and started watching maybe mid-season...Carrie will rock whatever she does, toasts all the way, girl! Can’t wait to see where you go!!! 

He looks like my sister did before we shipped her off to the Betty for 90 days. 

The parents on this episode were precious. Very enjoyable. I didn't want to see anyone voted off. I am going to look up Colorado girl if I ever get back there again. If she can win two TC challenges with TOAST she must be quite a chef. 

• Love 19
1 minute ago, LeighLeigh said:

I only discovered Top Chef during Manbun's season so my Voltaggio experience is limited. Having said that...where has Bryan Voltaggio been all my life and how do I get more?

Granted he's not bad to look at - he's a huge snooze as far as his charisma and his Masters season painted him to be a bit of a stick-up-the-ass.  

• Love 8

II was sorry to see Carrie go, I was fascinated with her style and confidence to make toast twice and win with it.  

The family meal was lack luster.  Joe, had Carrie not misstepped you would have been out the door.  Your redo of grandmas meal was as boring as the original.  It was pasta and tomato sauce.  We can all find that at any pizza joint down the road, it is not elevated much less fine dining.  

I don’t dislike Sasso and missed what happened to make so many dislike him.  Can someone give me the Cliffs notes on that, please.  Thanks. 

Note to self= do not play solitaire as you watch.  You miss things. 

Adrienne for the win!  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Wings said:

I don’t dislike Sasso and missed what happened to make so many dislike him.

I don't dislike him really, I just wore really tired of his hipster edit.  The least interesting thing about a moustache is if you talk about the moustache.

• Love 16

I feel so bad for Padma.; she's obviously not feeling well, and was literally gasping for breath at the beginning.

I don't feel bad for Michael V - he must have been on something when he got those appalling neck tattoos, and looks like he still is.

Edited by Brookside
Spellcheck thinks Padma is a type of ham.
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Adultosaurus said:

I don't dislike him really, I just wore really tired of his hipster edit.  The least interesting thing about a moustache is if you talk about the moustache.

The manager of my Chase bank branch  has a twirled mustache.  He looks like he plays the accordion.  The word hip does not leap to mind. 

• Love 21
On 2/22/2018 at 10:27 PM, LeighLeigh said:

Tom is smiling as though he was well-fed. I like happy Tom.

I like grumpy Tom too, because it is never unfounded and shows he takes this competition seriously.   

Edited by Wings
  • Love 20

Padma first channeling Barbara Stanwyck in "Big Valley;" then very uncovered for the parents/chef meals.  

Carrie is very likeable; sorry to see her go.

Felt bad for mustache Joe and the loss of his mother.  Men choking up always gets to me.

Cheering for Adrienne for the win!

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Padma first channeling Barbara Stanwyck in "Big Valley;" then very uncovered for the parents/chef meals.  

Carrie is very likeable; sorry to see her go.

Felt bad for mustache Joe and the loss of his mother.  Men choking up always gets to me.

Cheering for Adrienne for the win!

She looked like she was straight out of the old Banana Republic catalog.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+banana+republic+catalogs&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=simvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI0-ymq7vZAhUNcq0KHazhDbUQ_AUIEigC&biw=768&bih=906&dpr=2#imgrc=0i9e0nEd6HYUlM:&isa=y

• Love 4

All the kid pictures of the cheftestants were adorable! I think it helped that they seem so fun to be around as adults. Wine bong?

As soon as Carrie messed up the “oysters” challenge despite having (smartly) practiced for it, I felt her winning streak was over. Were they still at a very high altitude for the Quickfire? I may also be a little salty from Carrie edging out Chris by playing it safe last week, although she’s been impressive—toast default notwithstanding.

I would have loved to see Chris for this Elimination challenge—he had already referenced his past generations of cooking. What a missed opportunity to have someone from his family cook a dish that’s helped shape him as a person and a chef! Wonder what Fatima’s family member would have made, and her “take” on it.  I did hold my breath, nervous that one of the judges would say something critical in front of the family members.

I'm not a Joestache hater. I loved how close the cheftestants were, in giving him hugs back in the house as he padded around in those bear slippers. While it was resourceful of him to use the little torch in an attempt to add some crispiness to the pasta edges, I did not like him blowing out the flames – this is why they have sneezeguards at salad bars……..

• Love 8

What a lovely show!

Well, except the Rocky Mountain Oysters grossed me out a bit. I was impressed Carrie had the forethought to practice with them.

The contestants were so friendly & kind to one another & Mustache Joe---poor thing! His dad's tears just broke my ?, but I loved the way Joe spoke in his stead---in his time of need & they all cooked their a$$es off! Perfect! I don't need to see fighting in order to enjoy a reality show.

The judges were very respectful with their criticisms in front of the family members.

The Wine Bong was hilarious!

Adrienne's elevated gumbo looked soo delicious! 

I hope we have episodes like this the rest of the season.

• Love 12

I thought this was a wonderful show, one of the most enjoyable of recent seasons.  I thought that Carrie would win it again and was very surprised to see her eliminated.

The parents' visit is always a highlight for me, and this season was no exception.  All of the parents seemed so nice, and so did Grandma Mary.  I almost did a double-take when I saw Joe Sasto's dad.  Joe is the spitting image of him, especially the button noses!  What a dear man, all choked up, and Joe was right there with him to take over the talking.  A poignant moment.

Bryan Voltaggio looked great, and I always think of him as one of the gentlemen chefs.  Mike, on the other hand, stunned me by his appearance.  Certainly he is ill with something and needs to get himself to a doctor.

No matter who wins Top Chef, I think that all of the finalists should feel very, very proud of themselves for doing so well in some very difficult challenges.

• Love 18
8 hours ago, JD5166 said:

One of those vottalgio brothers looks very thin and like he could find me some rock.

Yeah. There are rumors floating around that he’s an addict. Which is sad to hear. But not unusual in the chef world.

Padma = Cher.... hilarious!!!

I had hoped for Carrie to win it all, but it was not to be. Why I don’t like Joe S? He’s skated by with dishes that sucked, hasn’t always followed the challenge guidelines. I felt the same way about Brooke, so sometimes the rules/guidelines go out the window.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, avecsans said:

My boo Bryan Voltaggio looks great and I have to admit that I am still a little bitter that he lost his season (the best season) to Michael, whose neck tattoos are very off-putting.

I so agree. I have a huge crush on Bryan. And I've eaten at Volt! (But didn't see him)

• Love 9
11 hours ago, LeighLeigh said:

I only discovered Top Chef during Manbun's season so my Voltaggio experience is limited. Having said that...where has Bryan Voltaggio been all my life and how do I get more?

If you can, watch the season with the Voltaggio brothers.  I still consider it the most talented group ever on TC.  Kevin will forever be my favorite from that season, but it’s one of the few seasons that I can vividly remember the actual dishes prepared by the chefs.

I really liked Carrie and am sad to see her go, but I would’ve been sad to see any of them go last night.   Adrienne had me at “king crab” and her handling of that dish and the time constraints was brilliant.   

I felt terrible for Joe S.  He and his father’s feelings are still so raw, but it sounds like they had very little time to grapple with his mom’s diagnosis before she died.  I feel he’s gotten a bad rap this season.  He’s probably the most innovative chef of this group and I wonder how much better he’d have been received if he ditched the stache.

I probably favor Joe F. from a pure personality standpoint, but I’m good with any of these four winning.

The presence if the Voltaggio brothers though makes me consider whether any of this season’s final three measure up to that Las Vegas season and I just don’t think so.  

Edited by AttackTurtle
  • Love 17

Hi guys!  West Coaster late to the party as always. Plus I had to factor in a half-hour conversation with my sister about Beef Stroganoff, which we haven't heard about since it was a staple in the 1970s.

Colorado owes TC big time for showing off their state in its maximum gloriousness.  I could smell that fresh mountain air in my livingroom.

The family members were adorable, and I'm glad they weren't there for the final elimination.  Carrie did herself proud, and I'll be happy with whoever wins.

No Rocky Mountain Oysters for me, though.  I have my limits.

• Love 15

Joe Sasto made me cry last night. It is hard for me to stay mad at him.

Still not sure how his buffalo cauliflower didn't send him home after cooking three bad dishes at restaurant wars. I also wish that he gave Tyler credit for the baking soda trick for the winning chicken wings. Also curious if Bruce gave him the idea for the carrot greens in the winning Olympic challenge pasta. (Bruce's Instagram has a photo of carrot tops about to be used for pasta). He was also annoyingly bossy during that cheese-team episode.

Joe S. was disproportionately featured in the first promo with Blais blinded by the spectacular moustache and how his nuts would be kicked for ordering a  Raddler.

Having said all of that, I enjoyed watching him cook all season and admire his creativity.

• Love 2

While I like seeing the family episodes (and this one was particularly lovely - "Grandma Mary"!), I hate that they have to send somebody home for a family-inspired dish.  It seems like an insult to the family member.  I feel the same way about family challenges on Survivor and Project Runway.

Michael V, though looking pretty rough, was notably kind and generous to all the family members.  He seems to have wisely dropped some of the "bad boy" persona.  Of course the tats are forever. Bryan continues to be everyone's TV boyfriend.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Did Bryan do his laugh last night? I was waiting all night for that.

Alas, no.  I mentioned that fantastic laugh earlier.  I'm a huge Bryan (spelled it right, finally) fan.   How about a Bryan Volt season as judge on TC?  I'd love it.  (Although Graham was actually very good on last night's episode....maybe he's finally comfortable in his judge's seat).

Was he on the Masters season when they went sky-diving?  I think so...when they had the secret sous battles for advantages. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

If you can, watch the season with the Voltaggio brothers.  I still consider it the most talented group ever on TC.  Kevin will forever be my favorite from that season, but it’s one of the few seasons that I can vividly remember the actual dishes prepared by the chefs.

I really liked Carrie and am sad to see her go, but I would’ve been sad to see any of them go last night.   Adrienne had me at “king crab” and her handling of that dish and the time constraints was brilliant.   

I felt terrible for Joe S.  He and his father’s feelings are still so raw, but it sounds like they had very little time to grapple with his mom’s diagnosis before she died.  I feel he’s gotten a bad wrap this season.  He’s probably the most innovative chef of this group and I wonder how much better he’d have been received if he ditched the stache.

I probably favor Joe F. from a pure personality standpoint, but I’m good with any of these four winning.

The presence if the Voltaggio brothers though makes me consider whether any of this season’s final three measure up to that Las Vegas season and I just don’t think so.  

I thought I was the only one that felt that Season 6 had the all time great group of chefs! From day one they were under the gun doing some pretty amazing things culminating in that French challenge of Bocuse d'Or! It was terribly impressive even though Kevin seemed to be the "pork king" throughout! I love pork, but it seemed like an unnecessary crutch because he won a challenge making something vegetarian for Natalie Portman! I find it hilarious with this show and others where a vegetarian goes to a steak house with friends, but they're expected to jump through hoops to make them happy! Why go to a steak house? Senseless! ;-)

• Love 4

I am now watching old episodes of the Las Vegas season. After 10 minutes, I finally know who Mike Isabella is. Kevin is endearing and Jen C. looks healthier with better hair.

It really is good tv. Now I get what all the fuss was about.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

Once a season I get to say this...

Padma, please pack your breasts and go.

So much this.  WTF, it looked like skimpy bathing suit top.  

As someone upthread said, she had to know this was the family episode when she dressed in the morning.  It just seemed disrespectful and inappropriate.  Poor Grandma Mary, having to eat with those things in her face.  I’m not a prude (I swear!) but there is a time and a place ...

• Love 21
27 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

I thought I was the only one that felt that Season 6 had the all time great group of chefs! From day one they were under the gun doing some pretty amazing things culminating in that French challenge of Bocuse d'Or! It was terribly impressive even though Kevin seemed to be the "pork king" throughout! I love pork, but it seemed like an unnecessary crutch because he won a challenge making something vegetarian for Natalie Portman! I find it hilarious with this show and others where a vegetarian goes to a steak house with friends, but they're expected to jump through hoops to make them happy! Why go to a steak house? Senseless! ;-)

LOL!  I remember every single one of those challenges.  Yep.  That season was the best ever. 

• Love 3