Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E11: It’s Just a Million Dollars, No Pressure (1) S30.E12: It’s Just a Million Dollars, No Pressure (2)

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

It was a super fun finale with gorgeous locations and great tasks...and then Henry second-guessed himself.  Since he was eventually right, he had to know that he was right before Jessica was confirmed.  Oh what could have been...

Since this show has been on for forever I don’t remember all of the winners, and I’ve only watched continuously since season five (yes, I adored Colin) but these two jerks are the worst winners ever in my personal record book.

I knew Evan and Henry didn’t win at their last interview before the finale because Evan’s face was filled with rage.

She’s not very nice, but I don’t blame her for getting mad at Henry in McCovey Cove for not answering any of her questions and staying silent.  That was not helpful.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

I might not care for the winners, but both episodes were fantastic and nailbiting. I guess when they've now cast 4 big brother teams and 3 survivor teams, plus an all star appearance for 2 of them, one of them was bound to win at some point. 

Found myself rooting for the girls or Indy, but would have been ok with a Yale win as well. 

That final task was magnificent. Really the whole final leg was well-done from a design perspective. Lots of lead shuffling and good tasks.

If Yale really had the right answer and he didn't ask for a check....that's brutal if they're finding that out tonight.

• Love 15

Jess and Cody are real shit heels.  They should be ecstatic they made the final 3 but alas, they were stone faced because Yale didn't fit into their plans.  

Am I wrong but it seems that Cody did more road blocks than Jess.  I thought they had to do the same amount.  

Henry blew it.  He doubted himself and Evan out of a million dollars.  Jess is fake and Cody is a wooden soldier. They are engaged now but I give their relationship about a year or until the money is gone. 

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Loved Cody and his “You want me to step into an unknown abyss? OK. Whatever” Even at the finish mat he was stone faced. He is sucha freaking Cyborg. 

I was more impressed with Kristi who actually talked about not liking that sort of thing but did it without any drama or show of anxiety. (Although I thought her sport was more terrifying than that, so I was suprised to hear her say she didn't relish it.)

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Love 5

Happy for Cody and Jessica. The Race is the only lens through which I've seen them and I think they came off well. Running on a sprained ankle is no fun, but Cody powered through admirably. Yay that Jessica was able to contribute in such a big way to secure the win.

Henry was this.close to the win, so good on him too! Plus I was totally impressed with Evan's ability to scale the bridge and then take that plunge...I'd have never been able to do either!

I still don't know the skiier's names, but man, the blond is a pill. Was that the first time she'd ever swung a bat? Who hits themselves?

• Love 20

I am so happy that Cody and Jess won!  Can’t believe that Jess was able to complete that difficult final task after she wasn’t very competent on the tasks in the last few weeks. I really liked so many of the couples and really enjoyed the season!

Edited by Uwbadgmad
  • Love 21
Just now, Waldo13 said:

Am I wrong but it seems that Cody did more road blocks than Jess.  I thought they had to do the same amount.  

They did an equal amount. It's just that Jess did most of hers in the first few legs. Also, Cody tended to take charge on all the other tasks, so it SEEMED like he was doing more Roadblocks.

I'm not thrilled with Big Brother winning, but I also don't hate them so I guess I'm just...meh? And I was rooting for them right at the beginning. I just happened to fall in love with other teams more. I really was rooting for Yale or Extreme, and I feel bad for Jen, who really did try her best. I also felt super bad for Henry because if he had just gotten a check, they would have won. 

I guess it ended alright after all. I could have done with less edits of Evan screeching at Henry (I'm sure she didn't JUST do that with him for the entire last two legs) or Jessica bitching about Yale, but I'm glad Extreme got a good edit, and I guess I'll be content overall.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, jette said:

Happy for Cody and Jessica. The Race is the only lens through which I've seen them and I think they came off well. Running on a sprained ankle is no fun, but Cody powered through admirably. Yay that Jessica was able to contribute in such a big way to secure the win.

Henry was this.close to the win, so good on him too! Plus I was totally impressed with Evan's ability to scale the bridge and then take that plunge...I'd have never been able to do either!

I still don't know the skiier's names, but man, the blond is a pill. Was that the first time she'd ever swung a bat? Who hits themselves?

I stilllllllll can’t beleive that he had it. Why?????????? I’m dying here in Philadelphia. I’ll never get over it. Oh! I know will but maybe in the morning. LOL!!!!! 

• Love 4

Anyone care to count roadblocks? I know Jess did the ladder climb in Belgium, casbah in Morocco, and phones in Prague. Anything else? I don't think there were any RB's in legs 7-9. Think Cody did the rest, but I could be foggy on one or two (the catapult in France maybe?). Just general curiosity trying to see if the show still has RB rules, I'm not out for blood if Cody did more.

Edit: looks like Lady Calypso is on the case above me.

Edited by TheRabbi

Very disappointed....wanted either Indy or Skiers to win.  I thought the task-switching was going to sink the drivers, but it turned out they were right.  And I was impressed that Conor stayed pretty calm in the restaurant.  Shame the numbers in Hong Kong did them in.  

Wonder if Evan is ever going to let Henry forget he cost them the $1 million.

Please no more crossover team.  TAR does not need them.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, TheRabbi said:

Anyone care to count roadblocks? I know Jess did the ladder climb in Belgium, casbah in Morocco, and phones in Prague. Anything else? I don't think there were any RB's in legs 7-9. Think Cody did the rest, but I could be foggy on one or two (the catapult in France maybe?). Just general curiosity trying to see if the show still has RB rules, I'm not out for blood if Cody did more.

Edit: looks like Lady Calypso is on the case above me.

Jess did four: the ladder climb, the gnome task, phones, and then this final one, I guess technically counted as a Roadblock since Jess had to do it alone. However, Cody DID do six, according to Wikipedia, so it WAS NOT even, after all. Jessica technically should have done the rage art Roadblock. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, sinycalone said:

Very disappointed....wanted either Indy or Skiers to win.  I thought the task-switching was going to sink the drivers, but it turned out they were right.  And I was impressed that Conor stayed pretty calm in the restaurant.  Shame the numbers in Hong Kong did them in.  

Wonder if Evan is ever going to let Henry forget he cost them the $1 million.

Please no more crossover team.  TAR does not need them.

It was interesting that they showed Henry had all of them right & quickly changed it. I wonder when he found out. It might have been the same time we did. Bummer. Phil still said it was close. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Jess did four: the ladder climb, the gnome task, phones, and then this final one, I guess technically counted as a Roadblock since Jess had to do it alone. However, Cody DID do six, according to Wikipedia, so it WAS NOT even, after all. Jessica technically should have done the rage art Roadblock. 

According to the most current rule I've heard, no team member can do more than 6.  So there was a rule, and they followed it.

• Love 13

Oh man. If that’s the first time Evan found out that Henry had it right but didn’t get a check... they are most likely not a couple anymore (and Henry might not be in this world anymore... I kid. I kid.) 

I was cheering for the skiers. I thought Jen was the stronger of the two so that sucks she’s the “reason” they lost. I wish the memory tasks were super difficult but could involve both team members. Or at least let them write down as they go! That had to be maddening with all of the stress and pressure they were feeling anyway knowing they were so close to the finish line. 

Oh and that sign task seemed IMPOSSIBLE. And the answers weren’t even in red and yellow. I was hoping Phil was going to be a rule stickler and say if they couldn’t identify the signs that gave them the numbers, they had a time penalty. Otherwise it probably would have been just as fast to stand in one spot and spin through combinations once you had a number or two as opposed to racing around exhausting yourself.

All in all... a solid season. I didn’t hate anyone but definitely cared for some teams more than others. Hoping we see the skiers and Indy again in the future. 

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

They did an equal amount. It's just that Jess did most of hers in the first few legs. Also, Cody tended to take charge on all the other tasks, so it SEEMED like he was doing more Roadblocks.

I'm not thrilled with Big Brother winning, but I also don't hate them so I guess I'm just...meh? And I was rooting for them right at the beginning. I just happened to fall in love with other teams more. I really was rooting for Yale or Extreme, and I feel bad for Jen, who really did try her best. I also felt super bad for Henry because if he had just gotten a check, they would have won. 

I guess it ended alright after all. I could have done with less edits of Evan screeching at Henry (I'm sure she didn't JUST do that with him for the entire last two legs) or Jessica bitching about Yale, but I'm glad Extreme got a good edit, and I guess I'll be content overall.

This is how I feel as well. I'm not thrilled with BB winning, but after the last BB team we were subjected to (TWICE), these 2 were saints. I was disappointed as I would have preferred any other of the final 6 teams to win over them, but it doesn't ruin the season or show like Eric and Danielle did (there will never be a worse winner).

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

http://amazingrace.wikia.com has he breakdown at 6-3 for Cody, with Jessica doing them in the 2nd, 3rd and 6th leg.

If that is right, I don't like it. Every other team had even or almost even splits.

• Love 5

Didn't realize how much I was actually rooting for Cody & Jess until watching the finale. 

The sign challenge was terrible. I felt bad for all the teams. Other than that, I thought the last two episodes were fantastic.

One question though, were the racers given a spa day before the finale? Evan's hair looked freshly cut & highlighted and Jess looked like she had a fresh manicure.  

• Love 13
Just now, vousviou said:

http://amazingrace.wikia.com has he breakdown at 6-3 for Cody, with Jessica doing them in the 2nd, 3rd and 6th leg.

If that is right, I don't like it. Every other team had even or almost even splits.

It should be 6-4 because there are 10 Roadblocks. That wiki is probably forgetting to count this final task as a Roadblock; technically, it was since Jess was only allowed to do it.

• Love 6

Jesus, those were brutal legs - both mentally and physically. I am amazed any of them were still standing by the end of it. I hope Jen and Henry (and their partners) can both be kind to themselves about their performance on that final task with a little bit of distance.

I didn’t know anything about Cody and Jessica when the race started. At this point I think he is a racing machine with some views I find questionable; she is generally unimpressive from a race standpoint but really pulled it out in the end.

Jen and Kristi were my favorite racers and people, and if we’re ever gifted with another all star season I sure hope they are a part of it.

• Love 7

And why did two of the final three teams not bother to find out how many home runs Willie Mays had hit before they started searching for the balls?  Team Yale would probably have been rowing another half hour if they hadn't heard the answer called to down to BB.

If that was the first time (tonight) that Evan and Henry learned that he had the correct answer but didn't get a check...I suspect the TAR folks were not fond of that team.

• Love 3

Those were two great episodes.  The final task was a variation on the props final task in  season 13 (I think).  Well done.

But I'm pissed that they did not have the usual number of roadblocks so that jessica could be carried to the end.   Fuck production for that.  Frankly, I'm fine if they  cancel the show if they're going to engage in this level of manipulation.  And I love the amazing race.  It's a bitter pill considering the final legs were the best in a very long time.

The one thing i will give jessica is that she asked for a check after each change, which was the smart move.  If Henry had done the same, he would have won. 

Also, didn't like the in-crowd bullshit, which was worse than the Cho Pack.  The latter at least were eliminated relatively early. 

Jessica's black soul will rot her from the inside.  Couldn't happen to a better person .

• Love 12

Disappointed that Cody and Jessica won, but I give Cody his due for being the first to think of trying all combinations on the briefcase when they hadn't found the 3rd number. Jen had a hard time getting Kristi to that point -- they tried once and gave up. However when they did it it sounded like Kristi reasonably pointed out that they didn't have to dial up both at the same time because getting the first one would tell them, but Jen insisted.

If only Jessica had been stuck at the fortune cookie factory for longer, or Henry had got his plane checked at the right time.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, vousviou said:

According to wiki, this season had the fewest roadblocks since they instituted the split rule.  In the only other season with 10 roadblocks they were split 5-5.  Of course, there was the other rigged season where the nasty father son team split roadblocks 8-5.  This ranks in the gutter with that season. 

• Love 4

I've seen many seasons of this show.  I remember being very disgusted one year, because a team won solely because they were last to the airport and discovered that the earlier flight everyone else had booked was going to be delayed, and therefore they booked a later flight that actually left earlier.  That was a crappy, deflating ending to the show.

This season had none of that kind of nonsense.  (at least, not that I remember)  The whole race seemed, for the most part, very fair.  So I am happy.

• Love 13

Trying to find solace. For one thing: isn't it good to feel something about a finale? Even if that feeling is bitterness. Sure, Cody & Jessica earned their way to the final leg, but I didn't want them to win. Like I said: my fear is that CBS will see this as the perfect ending for TAR and pull the plug. I admit that I'm paranoid, and that the probably worst case is waiting until late May/early June 2019 for TAR31, but this is my favorite show. I want it to last. And, seriously, even with Big Brother winning, how will Survivor be better starting next week? It probably ain't gonna happen.

You think Evan will let Henry off the hook? Damn, that was as painful as watching Eric and Luke crap the bed in their respective finales, and Henry didn't even know it. If Yale won, it would've been the third straight season of the fourth-best team winning. But I would've been okay with that this time, especially since Yale was the team that the others weren't bonding with. And I got more in common with Henry & Evan than the other teams. Seriously, brutal way to finish second. And Extreme finishing third was basically Ken & Gerard in TAR3. Zero placements off the "podium." That's never happened before. The only two teams I could find with one of two placements outside the top three? Rachel & Dave, Justin & Diana. I'll admit to needing futher research, but Kristi & Jen were right there, and they didn't finish strong. At least they didn't snipe at each other in the end.

As for IndyCar? I think this was the first "Phield Philimination" in a penultimate leg. That's brutal, even if they did come off as dicks in Hong Kong. More likable than Cody & Jessica, anyway.

56 minutes ago, RandomWatcher said:

Jody hanging out with Brenchel

DWnK0f6UQAAWraw.jpg

Fuck, this is as bad as Aaron squealing "YOU WON!!!!!" to Flo at the end of TAR3. Seriously, you can be salty about Dave & Connor winning TAR24, but the alternatives were the mediocre Stealing Angels and Brenchel.

Well . . . better luck next season. Let us hope there's a next season.

• Love 6

Cody and Jessica weren't my favorites, but boy did they earn it with that last task. What a grueling puzzle. Going into that challenge thinking about the three people who were doing it you would have bet on Jessica last as Jen was the one on her team that was good at puzzles and Henry you'd think would have the mind for that.

I wish the skiers thinking ahead of time about finding out the HR number would have been a bigger advantage. That's a race mistake that should have been more significant.

• Love 9

I wanted any other team to win but Cody and Jessica. They had their chance on BB and personally, I didn’t need to see them on my tv screen again. I feel so bad for Henry. He had it but, then he switched it. That’s got to be really painful if he watched it back. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Suzysite said:

Yay for Cody and Jessica! Somewhere Paul from BB is punching his TV.

That was the almost the exact same thought I had as well.  Anything that brings Paul sorrow, I am down for.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

It was a super fun finale with gorgeous locations and great tasks...and then Henry second-guessed himself.  Since he was eventually right, he had to know that he was right before Jessica was confirmed.  Oh what could have been...

Since this show has been on for forever I don’t remember all of the winners, and I’ve only watched continuously since season five (yes, I adored Colin) but these two jerks are the worst winners ever in my personal record book.

I knew Evan and Henry didn’t win at their last interview before the finale because Evan’s face was filled with rage.

She’s not very nice, but I don’t blame her for getting mad at Henry in McCovey Cove for not answering any of her questions and staying silent.  That was not helpful.

I wonder if part of him being silent was him just sick of the constant nagging and nitpicking and therefore he just drowned her out.  I know that is what I would have done.

Cody and Jessica winning was not the outcome that I wanted, I would have rather have had Jen and Kristi because I felt they had run the best race by far.  However, I am cool with Jessica and Cody winning, I was just happy that Evan did not win.  I wish that Henry could have run the race by himself because he seemed like a nice enough guy.

I was not crazy with the last deciding task being a roadblock.  Mainly because I think that teams should win as a team and lose as a team.  It sucks that one person can cost their partner the race.

Funny how all of these people are not happy about Jessica and Cody winning.  I wonder how many of them were happy when one of the Twinnies won Survivor?   I know I am still a little salty about her winning but there were an awful lot of TAR fans that were over the moon when she won Survivor.  

• Love 8

Sooo glad Henry and Evan lost. Evan's vocal fry just about killed me every time she opened her mouth, and her nose ring repulsed me because it looked like snot from a distance. But beyond the superficial, something about her seems so very phony--I think her whole persona is carefully designed to disguise her inherent beyotchi-ness. Henry needs to flee, but I get the impression he's a shy nerd in thrall to the pretty girl who for some reason wants him, so he'll stick like glue.  (And yes, I'm a terrible person.)

• Love 23
1 hour ago, Suzysite said:

Yay for Cody and Jessica! Somewhere Paul from BB is punching his TV.

27 minutes ago, BK1978 said:

That was the almost the exact same thought I had as well.  Anything that brings Paul sorrow, I am down for.

13 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Yes.  This.  I hope the little odious troll is sobbing in his mommy's basement right now.

The idea that two Big Brother contestants' success could deprive another Big Brother contestant of joy . . . .nope, doesn't soften the impact, because I don't watch Big Brother. And I don't plan to watch that anytime soon.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, UGAmp said:

Oh man. If that’s the first time Evan found out that Henry had it right but didn’t get a check... they are most likely not a couple anymore (and Henry might not be in this world anymore... I kid. I kid.) 

I was cheering for the skiers. I thought Jen was the stronger of the two so that sucks she’s the “reason” they lost. I wish the memory tasks were super difficult but could involve both team members. Or at least let them write down as they go! That had to be maddening with all of the stress and pressure they were feeling anyway knowing they were so close to the finish line. 

Oh and that sign task seemed IMPOSSIBLE. And the answers weren’t even in red and yellow. I was hoping Phil was going to be a rule stickler and say if they couldn’t identify the signs that gave them the numbers, they had a time penalty. Otherwise it probably would have been just as fast to stand in one spot and spin through combinations once you had a number or two as opposed to racing around exhausting yourself.

All in all... a solid season. I didn’t hate anyone but definitely cared for some teams more than others. Hoping we see the skiers and Indy again in the future. 

The only way I want to see Indy and Skiers again is if Jen and Alex teamed up.  The other two really bugged for me - especially Kristi. 

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, BK1978 said:

I wonder if part of him being silent was him just sick of the constant nagging and nitpicking and therefore he just drowned her out.  I know that is what I would have done.

Cody and Jessica winning was not the outcome that I wanted, I would have rather have had Jen and Kristi because I felt they had run the best race by far.  However, I am cool with Jessica and Cody winning, I was just happy that Evan did not win.  I wish that Henry could have run the race by himself because he seemed like a nice enough guy.

I was not crazy with the last deciding task being a roadblock.  Mainly because I think that teams should win as a team and lose as a team.  It sucks that one person can cost their partner the race.

Funny how all of these people are not happy about Jessica and Cody winning.  I wonder how many of them were happy when one of the Twinnies won Survivor?   I know I am still a little salty about her winning but there were an awful lot of TAR fans that were over the moon when she won Survivor.  

I was very happy when Natalie won Survivor. Losing her twin and gaining Jeremy did her a world of good. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

So true, it was really obvious in that interview.

Too bad Evans seems like a “if it’s not first place, it’s last place” kind of person.  She and Henry did quite well.  Considering all her crowing about her Ivy League eduction, one would think that she’ll easily make her first million in no time. Her perceived privilege would seemingly give her a leg up on Cody and Jess whose only opportunity to cash in would be via a reality show.   

Hope both Evan and Henry will be able to take a step back and appreciate this really unique opportunity and be proud of their great performance.

• Love 9

I was ok with that ending. I had no previous knowledge of Cody and Jessica except that my Mom hates them with a fiery passion from Big Brother. They didn't really get on my nerves and they came through when it counted. 

I do feel sorry for Jen. I was kinda meh on Kristi for reasons I can't really articulate. I wouldn't have minded seeing them pull it out in the end.

As for Evan and Hen-pecked, I really didn't want to see them win. They were strong racers, but she drove me crazy. Her talking head during the plane assembly was a dead giveaway that they didn't win. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Trying to find solace. For one thing: isn't it good to feel something about a finale? Even if that feeling is bitterness. Sure, Cody & Jessica earned their way to the final leg, but I didn't want them to win. Like I said: my fear is that CBS will see this as the perfect ending for TAR and pull the plug. ...

You think Evan will let Henry off the hook?

Eh, if anything it helps TAR survive because a crossover team won.  Mooves will be all "Wow let's have next season's theme be about a whole cast of CBS crossover teams!  Survivor, BB, BB Celebrity, sitcoms, dramas, news anchors, talk show yappers!  All CBS all the time!  Total endless cross promotion the whole hour!  CBS for the win!"

And no Evan will never get over that Henry had let victory slip away because he didn't ask for a check.  No way would they have known about that either until the airing tonight.  They are probably both in shock right about now. 

Poor Henry.  He seems a really great guy too.  Though I wasn't rooting for Yale to win (I went with the skiers) I think of the six people in the Finale and maybe the whole race itself I liked him the best at the human level.  But I just couldn't root for them because of Evan.  Kind of the way I felt about Flo & Zach.  I always loved Zach but he was chained to Flo.

1 hour ago, BK1978 said:

What does an apple have to do with an orange.  Most people didn't want Cody & Jessica to win more because Cody is an out and out bigot then any other reason.  Also BB is a trashy show and TAR at least used to be a classy show.  TAR it the unloved step child of CBS's three reality shows so a TAR winner on Survivor helped the show.  As far as crossover casting period I don't like it but once a person is in the game and they actually shine and are likeable to me then I can root for them and I liked the twins from their season on TAR.

And I still don't like anything about Cody's beliefs and bigotry but I do give him props that he was a good Racer with his mission focus ability.  So congrats to him for the Race and I hope this will help expose him to a wider number of people not all of whom get up each and every morning and listen to Rush Limbaugh's podcasts.  And this team won it fair and square so congrats to them at the sportsman-like level.

I guess I'll have to read through the live chat thread sometime for the laughs.  Live chat threads read after the fact are usually pretty hilarious.

Edited by green
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, green said:

Eh, if anything it helps TAR survive because a crossover team won.  Mooves will be all "Wow let's have next season's theme be about a whole cast of CBS crossover teams!  Survivor, BB, BB Celebrity, sitcoms, dramas, news anchors, talk show yappers!  All CBS all the time!  Total endless cross promotion the whole hour!  CBS for the win!"

That's happening with The Challenge. I'm okay with a potential Battle Of The Viacom Reality Stars, but I don't want TAR sucked into that. Or anything related to Rob Dyrdek over at MTV. I am convinced his cousins could go far in TAR were they to run.

15 minutes ago, green said:

And no Evan will never get over that Henry had let victory slip away because he didn't ask for a check.  No way would they have known about that either until the airing tonight.  They are probably both in shock right about now.

I don't think Evan knew that Henry (unknowingly) had and lost it. If Probst was hosting, he would have told Evan immediately. Cut to Evan looking at the sky, groaning in frustration. Zoom out to reveal Henry in the background, having covered a few hundred feet in a few seconds.