Type keyword(s) to search

The Threads Thread: Costumes, Uniforms, and Fashion

3 hours ago, Minneapple said:

I can't get over the gloves. The fringe. The...the fringe.

I kind of liked them -- and then I saw the FRINGE! WHY??? Are we all cowboys now? They look like they're going to go install a barbed-wire fence on the back 40 with those gloves.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Souris said:

I kind of liked them -- and then I saw the FRINGE! WHY??? 

I think they look like what a bunch of New Yorkers *cough*Lauren*cough* think working gloves look like.

• Love 6

I kind of liked them -- and then I saw the FRINGE! WHY??? Are we all cowboys now? They look like they're going to go install a barbed-wire fence on the back 40 with those gloves.

Didn't the US team dress up like a cowboy for majority of the Olympics in the 80's and 90's? I remember Sarajevo was straight up cattle rancher chic. Not that I like the gloves. They're terrible. I really like the rest of the uniform though. They get to wear jeans instead of awful white pants!

• Love 3
On 1/23/2018 at 9:41 PM, xaxat said:

I think they look like what a bunch of New Yorkers *cough*Lauren*cough* think working gloves look like.

No need to go after New Yorkers here - it really is just Ralph Lauren's shtick. The brand has been riffing on Western and various Americana motifs for ages and suede fringe makes frequent appearances.

1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

Didn't the US team dress up like a cowboy for majority of the Olympics in the 80's and 90's? I remember Sarajevo was straight up cattle rancher chic. Not that I like the gloves. They're terrible. I really like the rest of the uniform though. They get to wear jeans instead of awful white pants!

A heated jacket sounds great too.

I got curious and looked it up. There were cowboy hats in Sydney, Nagano, Lillehammer, Barcelona, Albertville and Sarajevo.  The hats in Atlanta also kind of looked like cowboy hats but with a rounder brim.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Yeah, for some reason the powers that be want it to appear as though the entire US Winter Olympic team hails from some fantasy version of Wyoming. "Well, we just done put our cattle up for the winter... time to win some medals!"

• Love 8

I don't mind the US uniform (not even the gloves as much!) after seeing the majority of the other countries' outfits. Yikes. I mean, did Russia have to do that drab gray color scheme for their opening ceremony uniform? I understand not being able to use Russian symbols, etc., but Jesus that was depressing!

Iran's coats were pretty cool. The women who led the countries into the stadium really stole the show though!

Nigeria's coats were lovely!

The US is always boring because of Lauren (both Summer & Winter).

The Mexican ski team's outfits are pretty awesome!

And of course 1/2naked Tonga Man!

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Nigeria's coats were lovely!

I was thinking for countries that never get snow, some of them clearly learn to dress for the weather and be fashionable in the process.  

23 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Didn't the US team dress up like a cowboy for majority of the Olympics in the 80's and 90's?

Canada's Calgary uniforms were no better.  Apparently when Canada switched to Roots for Nagano, athletes were RELIEVED.  I was so bummed when the Canadian Olympic team decided to switch to the Bay.  Though as I mentioned earlier, the maple leaf mittens are the best. 

• Love 3

I like the Canadian Snowboarding team's Siwash jackets. Here is a picture of them in action.

According to this article, they were all hand knitted and the woman who designed them co-designed the 2010 medals. Snowboarding uniforms can be pretty bland, so it is great to see something more interesting.

• Love 4

My winners were Azerbaijan (they had a beautiful dark blue suede(?) coat), Italy (shiny midnight blue coat) & the Philippines (a lovely teal coat).

Losers: Slovenia & Bulgaria (bright green!), USA (hated those gloves and the sweaters were doing too much for me) & Germany was really disappointing (a pukey yellow for the men & green for the women?).

3 hours ago, Arynm said:

Italy's outfit was made by Armani so it better be amazing. I would wear one.

I can’t be the only one disappointed by Italy’s uniform, right? The shininess put me off, it looked cheap. Like outlet Armani or something. 

Edited by mehtotheworld
  • Love 1

I'm sad the Norwegian speed skaters don't skate in their iconic red suits anymore.

And I caught a segment on this afternoon's broadcast about that. Apparently blue is the color of fast. I wasn't paying enough attention to know if this is a scientific fact or if just emotional. Blue is traditionally a cool color, so maybe that's why the perception of being fast for ice. I would think a hot color like red, yellow, orange would be faster because the warmth would melt the ice. But then again, maybe the melting ice thing slows down the skaters, and the cool blue would glide them on through. And exactly where does that leave black? I don't know, I just thought it was an interesting discussion and I love how colors make people feel.

On a related note, I love that Tara and Johnny are coordinating their outfits more. I don't follow skating during non Olympics, so maybe they've been doing that more.

Editing because I just saw the funniest commercial with Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski! It was for Google talk or whatever the thing is called. Johnny was talking about something, wasn't paying attention, Tara came in with a dress, said she was going to wear it, Johnny told her she already had, they bickered, he pulled out the phone with the pictures, then snarked at her, "thank you, Johnny!"

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

And I caught a segment on this afternoon's broadcast about that. Apparently blue is the color of fast. I wasn't paying enough attention to know if this is a scientific fact or if just emotional. Blue is traditionally a cool color, so maybe that's why the perception of being fast for ice. I would think a hot color like red, yellow, orange would be faster because the warmth would melt the ice. But then again, maybe the melting ice thing slows down the skaters, and the cool blue would glide them on through. And exactly where does that leave black? I don't know, I just thought it was an interesting discussion and I love how colors make people feel.

On a related note, I love that Tara and Johnny are coordinating their outfits more. I don't follow skating during non Olympics, so maybe they've been doing that more.

You have to remember that orange is the traditional competitive color for the Dutch, however, because of their history with the House of Orange.  For another country to appropriate it would be seen as an act of war! ;-)

• Love 3

I did know that, was thinking about that earlier when I was reading through the comments. But orange is a warm color as are red and yellow, some shades of green, and red purples can be warm. Pink can be warm, but if it has a lot of blue to it can be considered a cool color, blue purples are cool and green from primary green to blue greens are cool. This is from looking at a color wheel. And from a decorating point of view.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I saw the segment. They mentioned some scientists came to the conclusion blue was faster, but they never elaborated. Then they just talked to a few Norwegian skaters about what they thought of when they heard blue and they all said "fast." It felt like a real missed opportunity to talk about the science of the suits since that was such a hot topic with the US team in Sochi. 

• Love 2

ok, I got curious because for me it is not possible for one dye lot of color to be faster than any other dye lot of color on the same fabric. I found a couple of articles referring to the comments made by the skaters today.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blue-faster-red-cause-science-123120594.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/11/sports/olympics/fastest-color.html

I think it's all psychological. If you feel faster in blue, wear blue, if you feel faster in red, wear red. I had a turquoise and yellow bedroom, traditionally warm, bright colors, not conducive to calm and sleep, but they made me feel calm and peaceful because I love color. Right now I want a purple sofa because I like the color purple, I have a bright turquoise chair to put with it, I love bright colors. So do what makes you feel powerful, calm, whatever it takes for you to feel like a winner, blue, red, black, yellow, green, orange, they're all good.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I saw the segment. They mentioned some scientists came to the conclusion blue was faster, but they never elaborated. Then they just talked to a few Norwegian skaters about what they thought of when they heard blue and they all said "fast." It felt like a real missed opportunity to talk about the science of the suits since that was such a hot topic with the US team in Sochi. 

My favorite was the one Norwegian skater who, when asked what he thought when they first came at them with this theory, replied: Honestly? I thought it was bullshit.

My people.

• Love 14
On 2/9/2018 at 7:24 AM, halopub said:

No need to go after New Yorkers here - it really is just Ralph Lauren's shtick. The brand has been riffing on Western and various Americana motifs for ages and suede fringe makes frequent appearances.

A heated jacket sounds great too.

I got curious and looked it up. There were cowboy hats in Sydney, Nagano, Lillehammer, Barcelona, Albertville and Sarajevo.  The hats in Atlanta also kind of looked like cowboy hats but with a rounder brim.

I personally wear a decent amount of Ralph Lauren clothing.  Then again, I am known for my boring, middle of the road fashion sense.  So I've always had a general sense that the outfits through the years have been a little dull but okay.  Then I went through the photos on the link above.  Wow.  I know styles have changed through the years.  (I am particularly glad the female athletes don't carry purses anymore.)  There is a lot of seriously ugly or just plain inappropriate.  Let me get my heavy wool blazer to wear with my shorts when it's  about 100 degrees in the shade.  That should have no ill effects.  How about we look like a Hollywood version of wranglers?  Who brought the horses?  The outfits seem to range from flight attendants to cowpokes to Muffy and Skip are going to the regatta.  Yeah, it's time for a new designer to take a shot.   

• Love 4

I like the Lauren Ralph Lauren line - it has a nice mix of nautical and work-friendly design elements. I think Double RL is the one that has a lot of Western themes at the moment. Including suede fringe.

While the opening ceremony uniforms leave a lot to be desired, at least the designers who handle individual sports tend to create more appropriate looks. The different U.S. Snowboarding Team uniforms over the years have made sense and I like this year's NASA-inspired look by Burton. I also liked the medal ceremony jackets Nike furnished two years ago.

I've been trying to figure out who designed the opening ceremony looks prior to 2002. I know Ralph Lauren has been designing them since Beijing in '08 and Roots handled 2002-06. I realize the berets weren't for everyone but I remember the 2002 collection to be terrific when I checked them out in person at a pop up shop.

Here's what I've been able to dig up so far:

• Both games, 1976: Halston
  • Winter games, 1980: Levi Strauss
  • Both games, 1984: Levi Strauss
  • Both games, 1988: Adidas?
  • Both games, 1992: Henry Grethel, underwritten by JC Penney
  • Winter 1994: Champion?
  • Summer 1996: Champion, with volunteer uniforms by Hanes
  • Winter 1998: Bill Blass?
  • Summer 2000: Bill Blass?
  • 2000 - failed deal: Tommy Hilfiger
  • 2002-2006: Roots
  • 2008 - now: Polo Ralph Lauren
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, halopub said:

Both games, 1992: Henry Grethel, underwritten by JC Penney

'92 featured the famous incident where Reebok made the US basketball uniforms and Michael Jordan, who was a Nike guy (along with a couple of other players), draped a flag over his shoulder to obscure the Reebok logo during the medal ceremony. 

As someone who should never been seen in skin tight clothing (pretty sure they don't even make it in my size), I rather like the baggy look of the snowboarders. 

ETA Why did Underarmor think that a speedskating suit emphasizing the crotch of the skater was a good idea?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, xaxat said:

As someone who should never been seen in skin tight clothing (pretty sure they don't even make it in my size), I rather like the baggy look of the snowboarders. 

I loved that someone had an astronaut helmet for Red Gerard when he won, to complete the space-age look. 

• Love 3

I really want one of those astronaut jackets. They look so cool.

• Love 1

Every time the Olympics roll around, I get a strong urge to buy a pair of the Norwegian curling pants, just because they’re not strictly against the dress code at my office, even though they’re very much against what I perceive to be the intent of the dress code. 

Those heart pants really aren’t helping me resist, guys ...

• Love 8
3 hours ago, jennblevins said:

Every time the Olympics roll around, I get a strong urge to buy a pair of the Norwegian curling pants, just because they’re not strictly against the dress code at my office, even though they’re very much against what I perceive to be the intent of the dress code. 

Those heart pants really aren’t helping me resist, guys ...

Just do it.   ;-)

2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

My love for the Norwegian curling team knows no bounds.

Ditto!

• Love 2