Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Rena and Lee's Story

• Start Topic

After meeting and falling in love at a bariatric rehab center, Lee and Rena battle health and anger issues while taking a desperate, second attempt to save their relationship and their lives.

This is the regular episode thread which will open after the show has finished airing on the US East Coast. 

I wonder if TLC would have cast them if they knew Lee would get physically abusive.  Who am I kidding, of course they would.  The network and this show get off on toxic relationships, what's a little woman beating to add to the mix?

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 19
7 hours ago, Showthyme said:

How do these people afford all of the food especiallty at fast food restaurants?

DId you notice that they aired the total of their fast food lunch on the road.  It was like $36.  That's a pretty expensive lunch for shitty fast food for three people!

7 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

I wonder if TLC would have cast them if they knew Lee would get physically abusive.  Who am I kidding, of course they would.  The network and this show get off on toxic relationships, what's a little woman beating to add to the mix?

Yes.  But remember, it's not like he beats her everyday, so what's the big deal? LOL

Believe it or not, I'm glad they put up that BSOJ at the end because otherwise, I was going to tweet TLC with my displeasure on their irresponsible  programming.  I know it's just a small gesture, but at least they addressed the issue that abuse, even a little of it, is never OK.  I had a similar moment of outrage(as some of you know already because I can't let it go) when during My Big Fat Fabulous Life, they assumed Whitney, a 400 pound woman with a history of prediabetes and cardiac issues, was assumed to be having a panic attack when her symptoms could have very well been a heart attack (jaw pain, vomiting, etc.)and they drove her to a damn walk in clinic!  It's like TLC was afraid to admit that a fat person could be having a heart attack.  Hell, if I was having those symptoms as a normal weight person with no cardiac issues, I would call an ambulance.  Better to be safe than dead.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Showthyme said:

How do these people afford all of the food especiallty at fast food restaurants?

Right?!  Maybe that fast food money could be applied to an emergency roadside service.  They had car trouble and just sat there, panicky, helpless, and near tears.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 14

IMO, fast food is not cheap.  That's why I have had an issue with it for people who claim they have money troubles.  I don't care for fast food, but, I would avoid it anyway due to the costs.  Most meals, that includes fries and beverage are close to $6.00.  Then you add the extras, which big eaters seem to favor, and you add on another $4-5.  So, I can easily see a huge price for 3 persons.  There are  better ways to eat on the road, but, people who love that kind of thing, aren't likely interested in pursuing that. 

https://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/mcdonalds-prices/?redir

One thing that really bothered me is that after Lee blew up in the doctor's office, Dr. Now seemed to imply that Rena had to stay with him, in order to have the surgery.  To me, that was applying pressure from a professional to stay in an abusive relationship.  To me, she should have been offered a safe place to stay for her surgery, regardless of the therapy. 

Sorry, but, I don't believe what Rena said about Lee never being abusive for 10 years prior.  I just don't believe it. 

Honestly, if you have morbid, super obesity and have had it for most of your life, the chances are overcoming it, even with surgery are slim.  It's always a huge deal. And Lee seems to have more issues than that.  I hope Rena doesn't regret her choice to stay with him.  I think she might do much better with a more mature person. 

• Love 22

At the end they had both lost weight  and were  still in therapy  so hopefully  things are better. Dr. Now did say they were keeping  an eye an the situation  and had a place for her to go if needed. It did seem like they were on a better  path  when the show ended . 

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

IMO, fast food is not cheap.  That's why I have had an issue with it for people who claim they have money troubles.  I don't care for fast food, but, I would avoid it anyway due to the costs.  Most meals, that includes fries and beverage are close to $6.00.  Then you add the extras, which big eaters seem to favor, and you add on another $4-5.  So, I can easily see a huge price for 3 persons.  There are  better ways to eat on the road, but, people who love that kind of thing, aren't likely interested in pursuing that. 

I agree!!!  There have been a few times I was on the road to college with my 18 year old son and we stopped at Subway or Five Guys, and I thought there was a mistake in the bill!  Two people for "fast food" and it is over $20?  And my thin "I can eat anything" son is only eating one meal, btw.  So these folks who say fast food is so cheap, no it is not!  And if you are on 94 heading to Fargo (like me) and options are truly few and far between, plan ahead, or look for a Wendy's.  They have awesome salads.

• Love 6

My son and I were wondering about the friend who came with them to Houston and what his motivation was.  My son said he must be a saint.  Someone on the Live Chat thread (I was just reading it now) said he is probably being paid to be their caregiver and a light bulb went off.  There is a program through Medicaid called CDPAP where you can be paid to be the caregiver of a friend or family member:

https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/program/longterm/cdpap.htm

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

The homes belonging to these morbidly obese all seem so cluttered and depressing and dreary. And there's usually some poor skinny dog that probably never gets out for walks.  

The sister coming to cook two dozen eggs and four pounds of bacon for their breakfast - what is wrong with her?  That's not helpful kindness, that's practically murder.

speaking of fast food, have you checked out the price of bacon lately?  A 12oz package is about $7-$9...sometimes you can get it BOGO, but that would still mean they are consuming about $18 in just bacon daily.  

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, dahling said:

Fuck Dr. Now right in the ass for that bit of tomfuckery. How dare he? Was this for TV drama? What the actual hell? 

love you @dahling

He's probably the type to do a murder suicide.  I hope he doesn't have any access to firearms.  

• Love 7

Just one thing....

As a therapist it is much better to separate the couple so each person has an opportunity to speak.

What I saw was confusion to the nth degree.  The three of them were talking at the same time.  Nothing was accomplished.

I know this is tv, I know this is all set up - but please can the producers create something that is even close to a therapy session? 

I never would have allowed Lee to be anywhere near Rena while he was in that state of agitation.  Rena could not properly speak her mind with the "threat" looming right next to her.

Also, it is not my job to interject while the client is speaking.  The only time that happens is when the conversation is going off the rails.

I'd give the therapist a D-. 

The only reason she doesn't get an F is because she has an awesome name.  Lola.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

https://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/mcdonalds-prices/?redir

One thing that really bothered me is that after Lee blew up in the doctor's office, Dr. Now seemed to imply that Rena had to stay with him, in order to have the surgery.  To me, that was applying pressure from a professional to stay in an abusive relationship.  To me, she should have been offered a safe place to stay for her surgery, regardless of the therapy. 

Sorry, but, I don't believe what Rena said about Lee never being abusive for 10 years prior.  I just don't believe it. 

Honestly, if you have morbid, super obesity and have had it for most of your life, the chances are overcoming it, even with surgery are slim.  It's always a huge deal. And Lee seems to have more issues than that.  I hope Rena doesn't regret her choice to stay with him.  I think she might do much better with a more mature person. 

I thought their friend was there to help them anyway. Why not just boot Lee and let David (?) continue to help Rena? Sounded like he was HER friend anyway. 

My hair stood on end when Lee sneeringly told Rena she drove him to hit her. Classic classic classic abuser justification. I really can’t believe he magically is all better if he had that attitude about why he abused her. As for why he allegedly never abused her before - he physically couldn’t, and also he needed her around just so he could pee, for crying out loud. He dared not risk her leaving. 

1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

The sister coming to cook two dozen eggs and four pounds of bacon for their breakfast - what is wrong with her?  That's not helpful kindness, that's practically murder.

Oh but you know! They’ll get “upset” if their demands are not met. Boo fucking hoo. Of course, in retrospect, she may have actually feared Lee’s wrath. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree!!!  There have been a few times I was on the road to college with my 18 year old son and we stopped at Subway or Five Guys, and I thought there was a mistake in the bill!  Two people for "fast food" and it is over $20?  And my thin "I can eat anything" son is only eating one meal, btw.  So these folks who say fast food is so cheap, no it is not!  And if you are on 94 heading to Fargo (like me) and options are truly few and far between, plan ahead, or look for a Wendy's.  They have awesome salads.

I dropped $13 at Five Guys for one burger, the smallest size of fries, and a “regular” drink (the smallest available). So $44 for one regular-sized human and two super-obese humans is barely over three times what I paid. So I dunno. I didn’t notice which restaurant they went to; if McD or Jack in the Box, $44 could have bought a hell of a lot of stuff, of course. 

Yet, the eternal question. How DO they afford this type of binging for years on end?? Three meals a day plus snacks. Of course, they saved a lot of dough not buying clothing for Lee...

7 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I will never, until my dying day, understand this. We hear it over and over again on these shows. Who gives a shit? What was he going to do, yell at her? Fine, come at me, bro. I'll dance away while I toss potato chips at you, and laugh at you as you cry because you can't bend to pick them up. (And I am old, arthritic and also fat). Get upset all you want. Get upset enough to lose enough weight to do your own damn cooking.

True. But maybe she thought he’d take it out on Rena, who did get within arm’s reach?? But yeah, I think it is actually the emotional bullying that kept her in line, so to speak. Very hard to understand. But these folks are very damaged. The sister might feel some guilt for not having protected Lee from the sibling who abused him as a child. More therapy needed for all!

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Yet, the eternal question. How DO they afford this type of binging for years on end?? Three meals a day plus snacks.

I really noticed a difference when I started at a new school this year (sped teacher here) and we can have a school lunch when all the kids have eaten.  It is pretty good - and healthy btw.  So if I notice a difference in less money, I can only imagine the cost of feeding a 600 pound person!!  My two sons are away at college so now the food bills are.....less.  

23 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I'll dance away while I toss potato chips at you, and laugh at you as you cry because you can't bend to pick them up.

I love this image!

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Some thoughts.

The childhood pictures. I don't care that they explain they went to food for comfort. Looking at the whole family, the genetic portion of their obesity is undeniable. They were obese as infants, enormous as teens, and crippled by fat rolls, aprons and tires as adults. They found comfort in food because their dysregulated hunger mechanism demanded it. Dysfunction and poverty contribute to the situation, and conversely family obesity contributes to the dysfunction and poverty. I doubt they'd be slim had they had a perfect childhood. Younger Rena and Rena's dad were shown smoking in the photos. I wonder if she still smoked, the show tends not to show anyone smoking so we wouldn't know. Maybe that's why Rena needed oxygen and was susceptible to pneumonia?

What's the deal with them 'having to leave' the weight loss camp because they 'fell in love?' They were probably sneaking in pizzas.  Admit it.

How do these people who can't take care of themselves get the genius idea of adding pets to their misery, and making pets miserable by bringing them into their miserable, bed bound lives?

Is it fun to be like a giant stretched canvas or something, that Lee go so many ugly sagging tats  like the ones on his bouncy manboobs that looked like cancerous nipples from a distance?Lee said about the poor woman preparing shovelfuls of breakfast biscuits, gravy, bacon and scrambled eggs "if she doesn't do what we want... we're really gonna get upset!" The way he said "we're really gonna get upset!" with a menacing sing song gave me the creeps.

Grocery shopping: "we'll eat all this today or tomorrow" aka "in the next 3 hours LOL.

Lee's 'snack': 4 pieces of fried chicken, 2 lbs of macaroni and mayo mush (I refuse to call this a salad), and a snack cake.

On the trip, they talk about the logistics of Lee's urinal. What I am really interested in is not the urinal, but the poopinal. Now how do they deal with that?

Lee was just nasty, coming back from bariatric surgery grilling himself 4 large sausages while being mouthy with Rena who's trying to remind him of better eating habits.

Lee said at the end of the show that they now can have intercourse. Maybe that'll be the last straw for Rena, LOL.

I think it is more of a learned behavior rather than genetically you will be fat.  I have two older siblings who are super obese and I am a healthy weight.  They choose to stuff their faces and complain like many people on this show that it's not their fault.  We were all skinny as kids though, when my parents did the cooking.  They didn't get super huge until the left the house, but to hear them talk it's all "genetic".

I choose to watch my portion sizes and exercise, so I'm not fat.  Genetics play very little IMO.  The kids that are super sized as toddlers have parents that teach them bad eating habits from the start and they are used to them and continue those habits as adults.

I hope Rena watched this last night and had a big old wake up call.  It would have to really hit home to see yourself be treated like that.  

• Love 8

I have no problem with helping those in need but the system is broken if someone public assistance can buy all that food and afford all those tattoos. 

I have no doubt if Rena continues to lose weight, she will eventually leave Lee.  Good thing they are continuing counseling.   

• Love 11

I haven't gotten to the ending yet, but shit!  Rena honey, you deserve SO much better than that nasty ass, abusive fucker from hell.  He's even worse than James K, as far as I can tell.  I hope she tells Lee to take a flying fuck out of her life.  He'll never be fit to live with.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, dahling said:

First of all, I thought this was going to be a show about a lesbian couple, and it was hard to shake the misconception because Lee looked more like a woman than a man.  I couldn't figure out why TLC wasn't blurring out her naked breasts until later I realized they were moobs not boobs.

So, the positive, to me, was that this was actually a different story than one we've seen before, that actually required two hours to tell.  The negative is that it's like one second we were driving down the interstate of "I'll show Dr. Now that I'm making good progress but I've had a few slips" and then we missed a turn and ended up in the brambly ditch of "and by the way now he is a foul-mouthed verbal abuser and by the way, he hits me too".  Imagine being stuck in that craphole of an apartment, taking care of that vile beast day in and day out, only to find out YOU can't have the surgery YOU need because HE isn't playing by the rules. Fuck Dr. Now right in the ass for that bit of tomfuckery. How dare he? Was this for TV drama? What the actual hell? 

Much like Steven Assanti, I fear the day that Lee is fully mobile.  If he'll hit her when he's immobile, he'll kill her when he can walk.  I hope her decidedly underwhelmed reactions to a bunch of shitty carnations and a stuffed animal indicated where her mindset is. She's very pretty, and I hope she can continue to lose weight, and maybe TLC will chip in to get her front tooth fixed like they did for Pauline. 

Oh, yes...absolutely, with the front tooth taken care of, Rene would be able to really take advantage of many opportunities that probably wouldn't be available to her with her dental situation.  How about the LOOSE SKIN SURGERY for her sagging belly???  Arms???  Whatever other body parts that would definitely need surgical intervention.  Remember they had that other show "Skin Tight" that they tacked onto "600?"  I thought maybe the participants got that surgery donated for the surgeon's exposure on national TV.  

I think if Rene took care of these issues and finally achieved an appearance and outlook that make her feel "normal" (whatever that is...)  LOL, she might pursue some sort of career.  That would be great except she would probably lose her disability (and medicaid) that I assume she and Lee receive now.

Edited by pdlinda1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

With regard to your first comment, I agree with you completely. I thought that was odd. That worthless thing she was living with wanted the young man who was helping them to leave too. She should’ve moved out and that young man could’ve taken care of her through the surgery.

With regard to the second comment, he was probably not physically abusive because he couldn’t move.  She had to wipe his ass for him. But, he was probably emotionally and verbally and spiritually abusive right from the get go. It’s a very dysfunctional codependent relationship. Unfortunately, when you have that kind a childhood you choose what you know.

3 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

He's probably the type to do a murder suicide. 

Why can’t those types ever get the order correct and do the world a favor?

Edited by Kid
  • Love 20
3 hours ago, Momof2boyz said:

My son and I were wondering about the friend who came with them to Houston and what his motivation was.  My son said he must be a saint.  Someone on the Live Chat thread (I was just reading it now) said he is probably being paid to be their caregiver and a light bulb went off.  There is a program through Medicaid called CDPAP where you can be paid to be the caregiver of a friend or family member:

https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/program/longterm/cdpap.htm

This link is for New York state.  It's the only one like it in the country that I am aware. The reason I say this is that I am active with a site that addresses caregiving and it's a big topic.  Many want to get paid to be inhome caregivers, but, most states do not provide this.  The disabled person has to go into a long term care facility to get the help.  This couple was from Missouri, right?  Maybe, something new has started there.  Let me know if you find out, because, it's a very popular service, but, not one that is available to most. 

• Love 2

I shouldn't have laughed, but I loved the interchange between Lee and Dr. Now where L was making all the excuses about water, how little he was eating, etc- and said, "You don't want me to starve to death, do you?" to which Dr. Now responded, "do you LOOK like you're starving to death?"  And that's the first time I've heard a patient to tell the doctor "fuck you."

The therapist meeting:  "You don't even conversate with me!  You put me down!"  "That's part of conversating!!"

And I was fascinated with the fat bulge on the back of Lee's head.  That's really fat.

• Love 20

Spelling her name Rena & pronouncing it as Renee reminds me of a woman whose parents named her Cherish, but spelled it Chairish.(Could have been worse, I guess. Tableish? Sofaish?)

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Dysfunction and poverty contribute to the situation, and conversely family obesity contributes to the dysfunction and poverty. I doubt they'd be slim had they had a perfect childhood.

I agree with most of your statement. However, there are many morbidly obese people that do not live in poverty. In every case, including this one, child abuse is the root cause, unfortunately. And many morbidly obese people have been sexually abused. And, most of the abuse is a result of an addiction of some kind and the children also develop an addictive personality as a result of the abuse and the role models in their life.So, both of these people are classic cases. Their drug of choice is food.  As was mine.  I am 67 years old and have finally gotten a handle on my food addiction. But, its one day at a time.  

Rena needs to get away from him.  That Tiger is not going to change his stripes.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Dot said:

Spelling her name Rena & pronouncing it as Renee reminds me of a woman whose parents named her Cherish, but spelled it Chairish.(Could have been worse, I guess. Tableish? Sofaish?)

Well, don't forget Teretha from last season of M600lbL!

The combination of Teresa and Aretha? Or did mom have a lisp when she told the hospital what name to put on the baby's birth certificate. 

I know, I know. I'm mean....

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This link is for New York state.  It's the only one like it in the country that I am aware. The reason I say this is that I am active with a site that addresses caregiving and it's a big topic.  Many want to get paid to be inhome caregivers, but, most states do not provide this.  The disabled person has to go into a long term care facility to get the help.  This couple was from Missouri, right?  Maybe, something new has started there.  Let me know if you find out, because, it's a very popular service, but, not one that is available to most. 

A friend of mine looked into here in Pennsylvania.  Something like that does exist, but apparently you have to actually live in the residence of the person you're caring for.  

Edited by Mswldflwr
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I am a molecular biologist which helps me understand the medical literature and research on the topic. Full disclosure, my area is not directly related, as it is the role of the cytoskeleton and genetics in development and differentiation.

I suggest you read up on the hormonal basis of hunger control, there are easy to understand summaries available online. It involves a very complex interplay of hormonal signals between the hypothalamus, physical stomach fullness, blood glucose levels, intestinal absorption, and even signals from your fat cells telling your body how much you fat have stored right now. We only know the tip of the iceberg. Genetics come in when any part of this system is knocked off or partially disabled by a mutation. The extreme cases on this show might have genetic defects in several parts of this complex system, on one crucial part. I don't know what the latest is on that, but there was a theory that one of the way a bypass works is by altering the hormonal signals that the stomach sends out as part of the satiety loop.

If you are slim, and your siblings aren't, thank your lucky stars that you got the better part of the genetic lottery.

It's easy to control your portion sizes when you have normal hunger mechanisms. These people are an endless pit of hunger and are never satisfied. Their struggle is real. They have to be ready to endure constant discomfort from hunger in order to lose weight.

I wasn't always slim.  I made the decision to watch what I eat and exercise.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

Just one thing....

As a therapist it is much better to separate the couple so each person has an opportunity to speak.

What I saw was confusion to the nth degree.  The three of them were talking at the same time.  Nothing was accomplished.

I know this is tv, I know this is all set up - but please can the producers create something that is even close to a therapy session? 

I never would have allowed Lee to be anywhere near Rena while he was in that state of agitation.  Rena could not properly speak her mind with the "threat" looming right next to her.

Also, it is not my job to interject while the client is speaking.  The only time that happens is when the conversation is going off the rails.

I'd give the therapist a D-. 

The only reason she doesn't get an F is because she has an awesome name.  Lola.

Yeah, she was awful.  If she had any training, it must have been at the same place Alan Harper got his chiropractor license.  But I was biased against that therapist as soon as I saw her.  What is it with blonde wigs on African-American women?  Even Halle Berry can't pull that off. 

I fast-forwarded most of the session so don't know if anything the therapist said was helpful.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, pdlinda1 said:

Oh, yes...absolutely, with the front tooth taken care of, Rene would be able to really take advantage of many opportunities that probably wouldn't be available to her with her dental situation.  How about the LOOSE SKIN SURGERY for her sagging belly???  Arms???  Whatever other body parts that would definitely need surgical intervention.  Remember they had that other show "Skin Tight" that they tacked onto "600?"  I thought maybe the participants got that surgery donated for the surgeon's exposure on national TV.  

I think if Rene took care of these issues and finally achieved an appearance and outlook that make her feel "normal" (whatever that is...)  LOL, she might pursue some sort of career.  That would be great except she would probably lose her disability (and medicaid) that I assume she and Lee receive now.

The skin removal surgery is usually part of the package on this show, although often not in the first year.  Probably in the 2 year followup.  And I believe it is all paid for by the show.

• Love 1

If Dr. Now and the therapist knew that Rena was being abused, why didn't they report Lee to the police? Don't they have a legal responsibility to do that?  Lee's disgusting butt should have been in jail. 

Edited by Swiss
  • Love 19
18 minutes ago, Momof2boyz said:

The skin removal surgery is usually part of the package on this show, although often not in the first year.  Probably in the 2 year followup.  And I believe it is all paid for by the show.

I dunno about that.  I have heard that the show doesn't even pay for the surgery, the person's insurance does.  Skin surgery is thousands and thousands of dollars and generally isn't covered by insurance, the rare exception is the surgery to remove the apron (there's a name for it) because that extra skin can cause infections.  Removing lymphedema tumors also doesn't technically count as elective plastic surgery.

• Love 3
Just now, notyrmomma said:

I dunno about that.  I have heard that the show doesn't even pay for the surgery, the person's insurance does.  Skin surgery is thousands and thousands of dollars and generally isn't covered by insurance, the rare exception is the surgery to remove the apron (there's a name for it) because that extra skin can cause infections.  Removing lymphedema tumors also doesn't technically count as elective plastic surgery.

I heard this from someone who knew someone that was featured on this show and she said the show paid for the surgery. That's how they get them to be on the show and expose themselves to so much humiliation.

1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

And I was fascinated with the fat bulge on the back of Lee's head. 

I know right? It's like the fat deposits had nowhere else to go so they built up at the back of his head.  Hope Rene wakes up and leaves that horrible man. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

"I think I'm holding a lot of fluid". That's right, you knuckle dragging redneck. You know better than the doctor. You got your medical degree where? Carl's Body Shop and Medical College in Hellhole, Missouri? Take a seat.

It's good he told Dr. Now he was malnourished.  Dr. Now should probably up his calorie intake. 

It made me nervous watching Rene trying on that red dress.  I can see Lee getting INSANELY jealous and getting abusive again.  I think he wanted to keep her fat so other men wouldn't look at her.  

• Love 19
26 minutes ago, Swiss said:

If Dr. Now and the therapist knew that Rena was being abused, why didn't they report Lee to the police? Don't they have a legal responsibility to do that?  Lee's disgusting butt should have been in jail. 

Dr. Now and the therapist have a legal responsibility to report only if the patient was a minor.   Rena would have press charges for Lee to be arrested unless the physical abuse was witnessed by someone else.  

So if the producers of the show or camera person witnessed physical abuse, they could and should have called the police. They probably did witness abuse but didn’t report it because they didn’t feel there was any imminent physical harm and didn’t want filming with these two to permanently cease.   

Their caregiver for sure saw physical abuse and did nothing.  

I’m not saying that any of this is ok.  It’s not.  

• Love 4