Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Rena and Lee's Story

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, dahling said:

I look back with embarrassment on videos I took at my highest weight because I can clearly hear myself panting... Being that heavy is hard on the body in every way, and breathing is no exception. 

You just reminded me of something. I didn't get into the Sopranos until the last few seasons, so I don't know if it was this way all of the time, but I could hear Gandolfini breathing. I even mentioned to my son while we were watching once - do you hear this guy breathe?  While I was sorry he passed away so suddenly, I wasn't surprised, because I thought something must be wrong for him to breathe like that where it was noticeable on camera. 

• Love 5
On 1/14/2018 at 4:22 PM, TurtlePower said:

It's seriously hard watching these people eat their humongous breakfast. They aren't even tasting it! 

They’re just shoveling it in as fast as they can so they can call for seconds.

It never ceases to amaze me how they can eat in various positions while lounging around. Anything but sitting up correctly at a table. Lee was eating while lying on his stomach. Smh. 

• Love 6
On 1/12/2018 at 0:48 PM, Drogo said:

I don't know, I kind of enjoyed the 94% of the session where all three were speaking at once, with no one listening to anyone but themselves...

Don't you mean they were all conversating at once?

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
On 1/14/2018 at 1:12 PM, aliya said:

Can one of the medical people on here explain Rena's breathing issue?  I don't understand how weight loss can improve your breathing ability (other than when you are lying down and not having your fat shifting up around your neck or weighing on your lungs).  If you have asthma or COPD or emphysema, for example, can they be affected by weight loss? 

Obesity is a restrictive airway issue...can't get adequate air in.    You have all those hundreds of extra pounds sitting on your chest...it's hard to take a breath in.   COPD and asthma are obstructive airway diseases..hard to get the air out.   Lose the weight..much easier to take that breath in!

• Love 2

Lee's abusive behavior was escalating (I'm not buying he never acted this way before, especially considering the glee he seemed to take in almost literally pissing on Rena on a daily basis) and he was self-sabotaging probably for a couple of reasons. If he loses weight, then he no longer gets to play the part of the "helpless" and spoiled man-toddler demanding that Rena cater to his every whim. He loses his drug of choice and the enabler he roped into this mess who has allowed him to wallow in his addiction. And if Rena is successful in losing weight, he is afraid she will wise up to the fact that she can have her own life and leave him. 

And I generally am OK with Dr. Now, but his reaction to Lee's backsliding and abusive behavior really pissed me off. Instead of postponing Rena's surgery because Lee was being a self-destructive jerk, he should have told her to kick Lee's worthless ass to the curb, gather support for herself, and get the surgery. Why should she put off improving herself and her life because she is currently saddled with Lee? Lee is a grown-ass adult. He knows what he is supposed to be doing. If he wants to destroy his body and his life, then Rena should let him and get on with fixing herself. They aren't even married! She has no obligation to him whatsoever. The whole thing just struck me as incredibly sexist to assume that Rena needed to fix Lee before she could get the surgery. 

• Love 13
On 1/11/2018 at 10:33 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

Well, don't forget Teretha from last season of M600lbL!

The combination of Teresa and Aretha? Or did mom have a lisp when she told the hospital what name to put on the baby's birth certificate. 

I know, I know. I'm mean....

Teretha is a common name in African American communities. 

On 1/11/2018 at 11:29 AM, auntjess said:

How did that food cost $44?  (I put on closed captions, and that's what is said.)

I looked up the menu prices for McD's and you can get a lot of "food" / meals for $44.00. But I bet either of them can put away $44 worth each let alone split amongst the three of them.

10 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I.Hate.That.Word...

1 hour ago, janerazor said:

Instead of postponing Rena's surgery because Lee was being a self-destructive jerk, he should have told her to kick Lee's worthless ass to the curb, gather support for herself, and get the surgery. Why should she put off improving herself and her life because she is currently saddled with Lee? Lee is a grown-ass adult. He knows what he is supposed to be doing. If he wants to destroy his body and his life, then Rena should let him and get on with fixing herself. They aren't even married! She has no obligation to him whatsoever. The whole thing just struck me as incredibly sexist to assume that Rena needed to fix Lee before she could get the surgery. 

Excellent point. But you know what? The show probably was directing that also. What "the show" doesn't understand is that we would be just as fascinated if they handled things realistically.

• Love 4
On 1/14/2018 at 4:12 PM, aliya said:

Can one of the medical people on here explain Rena's breathing issue?  I don't understand how weight loss can improve your breathing ability (other than when you are lying down and not having your fat shifting up around your neck or weighing on your lungs).  If you have asthma or COPD or emphysema, for example, can they be affected by weight loss? 

A lot of it is sheer physics.  A person with hundreds of extra pounds to breathe against is not going to be able to expand their lungs as fully as someone thinner. Imagine trying to lift your chest against a 100-lb weight sitting on it.  Also, obesity often goes hand in hand with sleep apnea- again, the effort of breathing against resistance can impede oxygenation.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Where? I missed that.

Upthread where they reminded us nicely to stay on topic. I didn’t catch it on the first read, but they addressed us as Pounders. It cracked me up. 

(Saturday, 8:37 am Pacific Time ?)

Edited by Tabbygirl521
On 1/12/2018 at 0:27 AM, aliya said:

They've been playing commercials for upcoming shows and I found myself very moved by the woman trying to board the plane (presumably to go see Dr Now). I can't imagine needing to have the surgery from someone who specializes in the super obese and having to struggle to get into the plane. I wonder if she was afraid she wouldn't be able to get to Houston and get the surgery. How demoralizing.

On the other hand, I could totally be imagining a backstory that has nothing to do with reality. She could turn out to be a crier and whiner. We'll have to see.

Ding ding ding ding ding!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, NeitherSparky said:

He said he wasn't going to propose until they hit their goal weights. Have they?

I was too disheartened to actually read the article. He probably wanted to nail it down before the Interwebz convinced her to RUN. 

It’s on starcasm. 

• Love 5

Really upset to hear she decided to stay with him, still hoping she realizes she deserves so much better than him before they tie the knot. 

Lee may be on his best behavior right now to try and fool Rena, lull her back into a safe place so once they marry he can continue to be abusive. Men like him don't ever change, I've been with them and my dad was one. They are much too concerned about themselves to ever do any introspection.

• Love 8
On 1/16/2018 at 4:17 PM, ethalfrida said:
On 1/16/2018 at 6:04 AM, KateHearts said:

I.Hate.That.Word...

Because it's not a word???

Anything but sitting up correctly at a table. 

I don't think they can sit correctly at a table. I think their stomachs are too big and their arms too short to reach the table when they are sitting up straight. Plus I'm guessing not too many chairs can hold a 600 pound person; they need a bed or a big armchair that you can't pull up to a table.

• Love 3
On 1/13/2018 at 5:45 AM, bethster2000 said:

it is entirely possible for a morbidly obese patient to suffer from malnutrition, especially after the bariatric surgery is complete.

Right after mine (gastric sleeve, aka stomach stapling), I was hospitalized because I was so low on potassium I was a heart attack risk (where my heart was/is otherwise right and tight). I was thirsty as hell because I couldn’t drink anything without throwing up. I was woozy. Had no idea what was wrong, just that I was thirsty (for someone who drank 1-2 gallons of water per day as habit, this was really bad). Let me tell you, dying of thirst feels a lot worse than it sounds. Anyway, I will never again make fun of a celebrity canceling a show because of dehydration, where being practically comatose is a symptom. (I had other complications, but those were my surgeon’s fault.)

So I was most definitely malnourished. I was lying in a hospital bed being pumped with potassium all night, saline, and taking horse pills. And I would rather die in childbirth than have a syringe full of straight potassium shoved into my arm again. I have been in a lot of potentially fatal situations in my life (including the birth of my second child), but that one was the only one that scared the crap out of me.

Edited by Mojeaux
  • Love 6
On 1/15/2018 at 7:26 PM, Miss Chevious said:

They’re just shoveling it in as fast as they can so they can call for seconds.

I've been dealing with a delicate stomach lately.  Loss of appetite, even some vomiting.  I attribute some of this to the show.  It's so gross, it makes me not want to eat.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

It is? Seriously? I am woeful. What's next? "Orientated?"

From Merriam-Webster - 

Definition of orientated:  chiefly British : oriented 

research orientated graduates

"Male orientated jobs are now available to women"

—Tamia Dow

• Love 1

From Merriam-Webster - 

—Tamia Dow

Gah. That will never sound right to me!

• Love 3
On January 21, 2018 at 3:49 AM, bethster2000 said:

I've been dealing with a delicate stomach lately.  Loss of appetite, even some vomiting.  I attribute some of this to the show.  It's so gross, it makes me not want to eat.

Watching this show last season totally grossed me out.  So much so....I put myself on a diet (which I call now, my lifestyle change) and as of today I have lost 92 lbs.. Whenever I feel the urge to binge, an episode of M600L ALWAYS encourages me to stay the course of my "journey" which now focuses on maintaining. So I hear ya sister, my fellow Pounder. ?

On January 21, 2018 at 6:32 AM, AZChristian said:

From Merriam-Webster - 

—Tamia Dow

OMG......I wish people would stop destroying the English language.  I also hate it when people say "Let me show you the texas he sent me".   No, fool,the word is TEXTS!   

Edited by gigiann
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, gigiann said:

Watching this show last season totally grossed me out.  So much so....I put myself on a diet (which I call now, my lifestyle change) and as of today I have lost 92 lbs.. Whenever I feel the urge to binge, an episode of M600L ALWAYS encourages me to stay the course of my "journey" which now focuses on maintaining. So I hear ya sister, my fellow Pounder. ?

OMG......I wish people would stop destroying the English language.  I also hate it when people say "Let me show you the texas he sent me".   No, fool,the word is TEXTS!   

LOL! I haven’t heard that, but I do get irrationally annoyed when people say “text” as the past tense. I know it’s new territory grammatically but shouldn’t we be saying “He texted me” and not “He text me”? **SCREAM**

• Love 3
12 hours ago, gigiann said:

Yes!!  I also use this show to keep myself on plan to maintain my now-healthy weight (which is less than half of what I used to weigh).  I find some scenes - like Alicia with her dozen donuts - make me a bit nostalgic for the past when I would “comfort eat” through the day.  It’s just not worth giving up how much better I feel now, though!

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Trees said:

Oh my gosh! I thought I had seen every show! I just now realized that I missed this one! I hope I can find it On Demand or someplace! Anybody know where to watch it?

I'm pretty sure you can watch it on TLC.com or the TLC app. 

On 1/12/2018 at 9:28 AM, LordOfLotion said:

I had a hiatal hernia in 2016, and for about 2 months I could not keep anything down but liquids. It took ONE time throwing up for me to figure out that I could not have a friggin ham sandwich until it got fixed. I HATE throwing up. I cannot imagine eating and throwing up like that multiple times. I would never make it as a bulimic, I would never press my luck and risk popping my stitches after something like that, and I do not understand this guy.

I had my bypass in 2000 and there are still times when I eat too fast (especially pasta/noodles) where I will throw up. I really hate it & end up w/blood spots on my face. This only happens about once or twice a YEAR thank god. You’d think after 18 yrs I’d know better. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, LoreliLee said:

I had my bypass in 2000 and there are still times when I eat too fast (especially pasta/noodles) where I will throw up. I really hate it & end up w/blood spots on my face. This only happens about once or twice a YEAR thank god. You’d think after 18 yrs I’d know better. 

Have you been able to keep the weight off, @LoreliLee?

On 1/12/2018 at 12:14 PM, seniorpatriot said:

I have never liked this "therapist" Lola. She has always got under my skin with that extremely phony "compassion" that she tries to portray. She annoys me as much as some of obese people do on this show. 

I'm trying to place her. Was she the same one used by Lisa last week or another one?

13 hours ago, Trees said:

Have you been able to keep the weight off, @LoreliLee?

Yes I have! Thanks for asking. I went from 300 to 140 (size 26/28 to 6/8). I did climb back up to 180 about 4 yrs ago but got it back under control though it took quite a while. It’s still easy to gain weight unfortunately. Have a great day!

• Love 12

Lee is a typical psychological abuser that crossed the line to physical.

If that wasn't bad enough, him talking about losing so much weight they could finally have sex when he went to buy the flowers was just gross, both in a material sense and how he regarded her as his reward. 

• Love 3

Holy $%#*! Just watched this episode.

Lee, what an asshole. Who knew! I noted that Rena hinted that he was physically abusing her. She should have called the cops on his ass if that was the case.  I did like seeing that she took the attitude of "Screw it, let him hang himself, I'll do what I need to do to lose weight" and then blew him away with her weight loss when he ONLY lost 9 pounds in the two months directly following bypass surgery. I loved watching Dr. Now read Lee the riot act. I mean, Lee basically flipped Dr. Now a great big finger when he started stuffing his face again after all that surgical work. What an assclown. How dare he put Rena's weightloss surgery chances in jeopardy because he can't stand for her to start looking good or be more successful than him or whatever his lame reason was. 

Lee: "It ain't like I hit her every day."  I don't think any episode I've watched of this show yet has made me as angry as this episode, and James K. was pretty infuriating.

Lee was so nasty to Rena that I hope he ends up alone. I don't trust him to stay with the behavioral changes he made, especially if they hit a financial downturn or something equally as stressful. He is a very bad candidate for marriage. Run, gurl, run!

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, newyawk said:

Holy $%#*! Just watched this episode.

Lee, what an asshole. Who knew! I noted that Rene hinted that he was physically abusing her. she should have called the cops on his ass if that was the case.  I did like seeing that she took the attitude of "Screw it, let him hang himself, I'll do what I need to do to lose weight" and then blew him away with her weight loss when he ONLY lost 9 pounds in the two months directly following bypass surgery. I loved watching Dr. Now read Lee the riot act. I mean, Lee basically flipped Dr. Now a great big finger when he started stuffing his face again after all that surgical work. What an assclown. How dare he put Rena's weightloss surgery chances in jeopardy because he can't stand for her to start looking good or be more successful than him or whatever his lame reason was. 

Lee: "It ain't like I hit her every day."  I don't think any episode I've watched of this show yet has made me as angry as this episode, and James K. was pretty infuriating.

Lee was so nasty to Rena that i hope he ends up alone. I don;t trust him to stay with the behavioral changes he made, especially if they hit financial downturn or something equally as stressful. He is a very bad candidate for marriage. Run, gurl, run!

She looks so much younger in the latest pictures I was able to find of her. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

She looks so much younger in the latest pictures I was able to find of her. 

I'm going to look those up. I really hope she didn't and doesn't go through with the wedding. 

Well, her Facebook profile lists her as single. So I hope Lee is out of her life for good.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, newyawk said:

Well, her Facebook profile lists her as single. So I hope Lee is out of her life for good.

Lee's FB lists him as "single," too but still has a pic of himself and Rena in his profile. 

Line up, ladies! Lee might be on the market!

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Lee's FB lists him as "single," too but still has a pic of himself and Rena in his profile. 

Line up, ladies! Lee might be on the market!

giphy.gif

Lee left that pic in his profile because that is T H E only girlfriend he is going to get, most likely.   Hopefully.

• Love 3