Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/8/18

buffynut
  • Start Topic

Since the interview with Tonya Harding is on ABC, I'm shocked she is not going on The View to promote it. Seems like a gimme, but ... 

I watched the movie last night, and lemme tell ya, if my mom were still alive, I would get down on my knees and thank her for not being like Tonya Harding's mom. That was brutal to watch.

• Love 5

The one thing today I agreed with MM about is that the dems would lose a major leverage against the GOP if they put Oprah in the ticket for 2020.

And I saw no problem with Ivanka' s tweet...she shouldn't be silenced.  Goes against the point of the movement.  Didn't agree with the women on this.

And I think a mental fitness test should be established.

I want Ana back! Ashley was a little too militant for me...a less harsh version of MM.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

Since the interview with Tonya Harding is on ABC, I'm shocked she is not going on The View to promote it. Seems like a gimme, but ... 

I watched the movie last night, and lemme tell ya, if my mom were still alive, I would get down on my knees and thank her for not being like Tonya Harding's mom. That was brutal to watch.

Where can I see this movie?  When it happened I was left with the impression she knew what her husband planed to do and did nothing about it looking like she was fine with the plan.  I would like to see it.  

16 minutes ago, Wings said:

Where can I see this movie?

"I, Tonya," is playing in my area, but we get movies fairly early.  I think its wide release is scheduled for January 19.  There's a lot of good buzz, so attendance should be profitable.

Edited to add info about this documentary: 'Truth and Lies: The Tonya Harding Story' airs Thursday at 9p/8c on ABC  (I hope this date is correct)

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2
On 1/8/2018 at 1:57 PM, athousandclowns said:

OT Probably a record set for being a best seller even before it was released.  You get it free with an  audible trial. There is 2 + week wait even for prime members.

It will be good to see him on the show (even though I've seen him numerous times  find him legit as a lot has already been revealed and I'm glad Ana will be on that day. Sour faced "never Trump"  MM will attempt to take him down, I predict FAIL  

Pass on Marie Osmond as she will complain about having to work with her brother. 

Helen is probably on for her new movie "Winchester" which was filmed down the street from me and a big part of San Jose history. 

Lindsey is just part  of the majority of the right who kiss ass but in private slam him , now it will all come to light. Hope the panel can take turns with the interview. 

Bastard  uncle? What the heck? Classy.  Is that implication her mother had sex with him?  I can't figure out how you are a bastard uncle.  After listening and watching her I don't even believe her when. she said she didn't vote for Trump. 

shoot  I thought they announced Wednesday was when Wolf was on. 

Ok, I'll take a shot.  Bastard Uncle.  Mom & Dad we not married.  Had a sister (I guess illegitimate, cant be a bastard) and she had kids. Bastard Uncle. MM prob identifies as a cousin to the kids, hence BU

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Tammee said:

Ok, I'll take a shot.  Bastard Uncle.

I would think maybe best described in public as a shirt-tail relative or honorary uncle. I can see Graham or McCain calling the other "my mom's favorite kid" or "long-lost bastard brother" inside the families. But it just sounds weird to have Humorless Meghan call him her bastard uncle, with no explanation, on national TV.

• Love 12

I'm going to say something nice about Meghan. When Ashley Graham was talking about being assaulted by that photographer, and it was gross and horrifying hear about, Meghan said -- twice -- "I'm so sorry that happened to you." And she sounded upset and very sincere. It's the sort of thing I would expect a best friend to say, hearing about something like that in the past. I was surprised and very touched by her compassion.

• Love 19

I thought Meghan was a lot better today. I thought she was sincere when Ashley was sharing her experiences, plus she seemed really into ANTM too. With regards to Ivanka, I thought Meghan mentioning her family made sense here. But at the same time, I kind of feel like if Ivanka wants to tweet that she can tweet that. Lena Dunham tweets stuff like that all the time and she defended her friend and put down a woman who was accusing him of rape. When people close to you are accused it's hard to accept and believe it, but that doesn't mean that you don't support the cause. It could be a smoke and mirrors, but at least it's something.

I hope Paula is there tomorrow, but I don't think she will be. When it comes to bigger interviews like this, she's been pretty consistent in asking good questions.

• Love 3
On 1/8/2018 at 3:17 PM, NeverLate said:

Perhaps, or perhaps unlike some of them, she doesn't need to ask irrelevant questions non stop ( shrug) 

I didn't see irrelevant questions.  I saw interesting questions and a lively discussion.   

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ChicagoCita said:

I'm going to say something nice about Meghan. When Ashley Graham was talking about being assaulted by that photographer, and it was gross and horrifying hear about, Meghan said -- twice -- "I'm so sorry that happened to you." And she sounded upset and very sincere. It's the sort of thing I would expect a best friend to say, hearing about something like that in the past. I was surprised and very touched by her compassion.

I agree. That was her most sincere moment since she joined the show.

Edited by Meatball
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, CheezyXpressed said:

But at the same time, I kind of feel like if Ivanka wants to tweet that she can tweet that. Lena Dunham tweets stuff like that all the time and she defended her friend and put down a woman who was accusing him of rape. When people close to you are accused it's hard to accept and believe it, but that doesn't mean that you don't support the cause. It could be a smoke and mirrors, but at least it's something.

I totally agree. I think most of us would choose to believe/support our family member if they were accused as such. Sunny asked Meghan if there was anything her father would do that she wouldn't support and Meghan said "if he killed someone in front of me." I think most of us are in the same boat...i would have to SEE my father commit the offense before I choose to believe a total stranger(s), especially if it's a he said/she said situation.

Didn't the co-hosts play that game once...what would you do if your family member killed someone? Joy said she'd turn them in.  Sunny was adamant that she would help hide the body. So Sunny shouldn't be so surprised with Ivanka's loyalty to her father.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Tammee said:

Had a sister (I guess illegitimate, cant be a bastard)

I don't  get this one.  Do you mean a female can't be a bastard on the basis of gender?   One can.   Definition:  any person born of parents not married to each other.  synonyms:  illegitimate child, child born out of wedlock.

• Love 2

I get so tired of repeating myself.  MM is such a bitch.  She has NO business interviewing ANYBODY about ANYTHING.  Her contempt is palpable! 

ETA did she just take it upon HERSELF to go to commercial?  Oy vey! 

Edited by JayD83
  • Love 22
38 minutes ago, Haleth said:

So how upset is Meghan going to get with the Wolff interview today?  

She takes it so personally ... like he wrote the book about her family.  She's an idiot!!!

Also, the second segment with Wolff came to a clunky end with The Whoopster saying "what, what" to her earpiece right in the middle of a good point.  Gawd!!

• Love 16

While I'd be really interested and entertained to read the dirt on trump's administration, Wolff himself is the reason I'm holding off for the time being.  He's been all over the airways, and he seems very inarticulate, especially for an author who should have a better command of the language.  Think, if anything, I'll get on the library waitlist rather than shelling out $$ to Wolff.

• Love 3

Meghan McCain is such an insufferable twat. She hurried up to cut to commercial as Whoopi was asking Michael Wollff a question during the 2nd segment when their still was time left and was rude and a bitch the entire time. I hope the producers realize that folks is getting turned off by Meghan's daily negativity and I hope that this is 1st and last season on the show. 

• Love 21
13 minutes ago, Tunia said:

While I'd be really interested and entertained to read the dirt on trump's administration, Wolff himself is the reason I'm holding off for the time being.  He's been all over the airways, and he seems very inarticulate, especially for an author who should have a better command of the language.  Think, if anything, I'll get on the library waitlist rather than shelling out $$ to Wolff.

I know he can seem inarticulate, but, I think he's just being cautious in his answers and, somewhat, moderate. I think he's trying not to insert himself into the discussion and trying to be objective. 

MM, rattling (rat-tat-tatting)off that list of people who had problems with MWs credibilty was channeling Bitsy.

Edited by AdeleDazeem
Why not.
  • Love 18
57 minutes ago, AdeleDazeem said:

I know he can seem inarticulate, but, I think he's just being cautious in his answers and, somewhat, moderate.

He's the author - he needs to stand up for the words he wrote.  If he doesn't, who will?  Wolff is making some huge claims in his book, and he sounds very evasive when discussing it.  There are many who are/will be stepping out to cut him down, and he's not doing a good job of defending his research.  "Believe me" (as the trumpster would say), if there's anyone who wants to read a tell-all on trump's personality and administration, it's me, but when I invest my time and dollars doing so, I want it to be true and worthwhile.

Edited by Tunia
correct typo
  • Love 2

I think Meghan asked some good questions, but she uses way too much loaded and hostile rhetoric towards journalists.  For a self proclaimed second amendment, patriot girl, we do have a freedom of the press.  I think she has a good idea that “there’s no such thing as off the record,” but why does she have to frame it as such a bad thing?  Holding elected officials and public leaders accountable for their words and actions is a good thing.  Just my two cents.  

In other random observations, Whoopi is strangely less hostile so far in 2018.  I don’t know if anyone else notices, but she can be really likeable when she chooses not to be so combative.  I was amused at her playing the bass, yesterday she was really kind to the creator of Lady Bird, and I just feel like she’s being more lighthearted so far this year, which is nice to see.  

• Love 13

First, regarding yesterday's show. Again, to Joy and others: it doesn't MATTER how good a business person one is--you CANNOT run the government like it is a business, because the government is NOT a business.

And when they were talking about mental fitness and what not, I believe, Meghan, the phrase is "fight tooth and NAIL," and not "tooth and hand" the way you were going on about it.

21 minutes ago, Jan Levenson said:

In other random observations, Whoopi is strangely less hostile so far in 2018.

She has a bad cold and isn't feeling well.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I don't  get this one.  Do you mean a female can't be a bastard on the basis of gender?   One can.   Definition:  any person born of parents not married to each other.  synonyms:  illegitimate child, child born out of wedlock.

Oh ok. Thanks for the check. I guess I have just never seen it used as such. Color me enlightened :)

• Love 1
On 1/8/2018 at 1:57 PM, imjagain said:

Yes please, GO Meghan. ...go far away!  So we don't have to watch your entitled ass lol.

Heeee funny. What's that saying, 'ya ain't gotta go home, but you can't stay here.'  'nuff said

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Wings said:

MM cannot present a counterpoint without being snippy.   

"I would never go to a journalist's house being in my position."  Good god Meghan, you have no position.  

Ana sits right there not questioning Wolff's integrity and John's baby girl pouts. 

Was she referring to being a cohost on the View or being John McCain's daughter?  Because honestly her only relevant position as of right now is being his daughter.

• Love 20
On 1/9/2018 at 11:02 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

thank you.  Apparently I have " A Priority" tickets.  then they go to plain old "A", then "B" and so on.....  I read they pick and choose who can even come in, so we will see if we even make the cut.  Impromtu trip to NYC, going with my 17yo daughter and her bestie.  

Have fun! Can't wait to hear about it

• Love 2

Realizing this may be an oxymoron but under "journalistic ethics/integrity," is it true (as M Wolff maintains) that when the participants are assured that a conversation is "off the record" and one of the participants dies, the journalist can ethically disclose the contents of that conversation esp. if another participant does not disapprove? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tunia said:

He's the author - he needs to stand up for the words he wrote.  If he doesn't, who will?  Wolff is making some huge claims in his book, and he sounds very evasive when discussing it.  There are many who are/will be stepping out to cut him down, and he's not doing a good job of defending his research.  "Believe me" (as the trumpster would say), if there's anyone who wants to read a tell-all on trump's personality and administration, it's me, but when I invest my time and dollars doing so, I want it to be true and worthwhile.

My understanding was that he was collecting and then sharing what was told to him. Sometimes people told him different things and he cited both. That is what he stood up for. I'm presently waffling on whether to read the book.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who felt like Wolff came off badly in the interview? Steven Bannon seems like a horribly disgusting person, so to hear Wolff defend him was off putting. I was also ready to tell Meghan to shut up, especially when she was like, "Do you consider me to be a Jarvanca Republican?" That was stupid and she took it way to seriously. When he asked her to look at who was trying to discredit him and she said, "Let me finish." I thought that was rude. But then she listed all the names and that made me question Wolff a bit. He also admitted that things were said off the record, which makes certain things shady. I've read reviews from reviewers that I admire and abhor Trump and they said the book felt very salacious with no real facts.

He was here to promote his book, but I just felt like something was off the entire time. (ps. I don't like Trump, so this isn't due to my political stance. It's just that Wolff didn't come off as great here and I wish Paula was around to ask proper questions)

• Love 12
1 hour ago, susieq147 said:

Was she referring to being a cohost on the View or being John McCain's daughter?  Because honestly her only relevant position as of right now is being his daughter.

Oh I think it is because of her political commentator title (in her head) is what she meant.  The View would definitely not come into play and she is so much more than just John's daughter (in her head).  

• Love 4

I have seen Wolff interviewed about 4 or 5 times now.  He is credible to me.  

He states:

I am not in this book.

The content is what I have been told by others and heard myself.

There are conflicting statements because often people have different views. 

Didn't we know all of this anyway?  He is not making this up.  We have seen proof of a lot with our own eyes. 

20 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

Meghan is snippy, but I think she asked questions that needed to be asked. Wolff doesn't have a great reputation.  After her dad passes though, what political circles will she be running in? 

I have not heard this. Journalists are always under fire by someone, so there is that.  

39 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Steven Bannon seems like a horribly disgusting person, so to hear Wolff defend him was off putting. 

He said he didn't like the guy.  He defended a point he made.  

• Love 15
16 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

Meghan is snippy, but I think she asked questions that needed to be asked. Wolff doesn't have a great reputation.  After her dad passes though, what political circles will she be running in? 

I doubt people will be clamoring for the political acumen and expertise of Meghan McCain.  She speaks with too much authority about things that she knows nothing about.. I had no problems with her questioning Wolff. His book is based on his observations and interpretations of what he saw.. He should be questioned vigorously, about the facts, in his book.  It was the way that Meghan did it, that was off-putting..

• Love 22
58 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Am I the only one who felt like Wolff came off badly in the interview?

<snip>

He was here to promote his book, but I just felt like something was off the entire time. (ps. I don't like Trump, so this isn't due to my political stance. It's just that Wolff didn't come off as great here and I wish Paula was around to ask proper questions)

You're making the same point I did in my posts above, but in a better manner.  I've now seen Wolff in at least six interviews, and he expresses himself poorly each time.  However, I don't think even Paula would fare better with him since Lawrence O'Donnell, Stephen Colbert, Brian Stelter, Savannah Guthrie, Don Lemon, Katy Tur, Norah O'Donnell and Chuck Todd have all interviewed him with no greater success.

-----------------------------------

Just to clarify:  I'm not doubting what Wolff had to say in his book. However, he needs to present himself in a more articulate manner.  If he writes as he speaks, I'm not impressed.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, Wings said:

IHe said he didn't like the guy.  He defended a point he made.  

He stated that he came to like Steve and didn't feel good about what happened to Bannon. He then defends him, while giving him some compliments. Sure he said he doesn't agree with Bannon, but to defend him when he was so bad doesn't look good to me.

I'm reading more reviews of his book and people are saying it sounds like fiction and fake news (even though the reviewers hate that term). It seems like he's not that credible and said what we all know. He may have been part of the white house for awhile, but he should release tapes of what happened. And if he only spoke to people who are on the outs with Trump, then it looks even worse for him.

• Love 1

I think Wolff's point was when Ailes died his off the record remarks did as well....but immediately Bannon asked him to print about the dinner thereby foregoing his own off the record request, which was fine with Bannon.

MM is hardly a Jarvanka. First off she is not an aide to anyone, in the WH or otherwise. She also is not two people.  Man, I can't stand her. Her elitist entitlement attitude truly angers me. LOL, she wasn't even mentioned in "Game Change." Wish we could ask Nicolle Wallace. Also seems to me some people of MM's list of deniers could themselves be lying to protect themselves. 

Love Ana and thought her calling Don Trump Jr "baby Donnie" hilarious.

Good morning for me! Fire and Fury was delivered to my front door right before the show!

• Love 24
29 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Wish we could ask Nicolle Wallace. Also seems to me some people of MM's list of deniers could themselves be lying to protect themselves. 

Absolutely!  They have a business to protect.  Anna Wintour doesn't believe Wolff?  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• Love 13

I agree that Wolff came across somewhat questionable in their interview (and not because of Meghan's inane questions and attempts to tar and feather him), but I had no intention of buying his book and giving him or those involved with him money anyway, especially considering how close to Bannon he sounds from his interview comments. I'll just let media outlets like The View give me the details on this one.

• Love 3
Just now, TheGreenKnight said:

I agree that Wolff came across somewhat questionable in their interview (and not because of Meghan's inane questions and attempts to tar and feather him), but I had no intention of buying his book and giving him or those involved with him money anyway, especially considering how close to Bannon he sounds from his interview comments. I'll just let media outlets like The View give me the details on this one.

He has been better in other interviews.  I do get what some are saying.  He was very credible on CNN for one.  Could be exhaustion at repeating himself.   Doesn't matter to me.  Even if nothing was true we have seen enough to know for ourselves that things are not as they should be.  

• Love 15
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

she is not an aide to anyone, in the WH or otherwise. She also is not two people.  Man, I can't stand her. Her elitist entitlement attitude truly angers me. LOL, she wasn't even mentioned in "Game Change." Wish we could ask Nicolle Wallace. Also seems to me some people of MM's list of deniers could themselves be lying to protect themselves. 

Speaking of Nicolle, she has said that her sources at the WH say everything is true. Off the record.

• Love 22