Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

Question for people who watch more skating than I do:

Javi's doubling of the quad meant he lost 10 points. He lost by more than that.  Does falling also affect artistry.

2 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

"Nessun Dorma" is another piece they can retire.

Is this the second time we've heard it tonight?

I like Tara but she should never say "yeah" again.

• Love 1

So Nathan won the free skate.  Wow.  Huge achievement.  I don't know why they don't give out medals for that as well. Does he get a certificate or something?  

CONGRATULATIONS to Hanyu, Shoma, and Javi!

• Love 5
Just now, mtlchick said:

Chen won the free skate.  I hope he is beyond proud of that but oy. Still a bitter pill to swallow.  And that taste is going to linger.  That said one hell of a comeback.

I hope this helps him get his mojo back for the Worlds. Even though he was undefeated until the Olympics, he had a rather uneven season.

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I'm very happy for Hanyu, but Nathan had the program of the night. It would have been an Olympic moment...if he had only delivered in the short. 

Eh. I think Nathan was impressive with his jumps but his program wasn't all that. I think Uno's program was outstanding even with the mistakes.

I wanted Javier to take Silver. 

I feel bad for the Chinese skater getting bumped. He looked so disappointed when sitting on the couch looking at the results that bumped him.

Congrats to Hanyu!!!! So well deserved.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I wanted Javi to get the silver, but thank you Shoma for making the podium so at least Nathan didn’t miss it by so little.

This. 

Really thought Javier should be 2, but his pops and Shoma's backloading was the difference. 

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 7
Just now, kittykat said:

Hanyu, Uno, Fernandez!  And 5th and 6th for Chen and Zhou.  A very satisfying night of skating.

And 10th for Adam, exactly where Jason Brown was in Sochi also with no quad. Congrats to the American men, you guys did great. (Yeah, one short notwithstanding.)

• Love 7

HANYU!!!!!

I’m thrilled for Shoma and Javi too.

I’m sad for Jin Boyang and Nathan. 

I am looking forward to a Shoma/ Nathan / Boyang showdown in 2022!

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 4

Someone placing higher with a fall over someone who didn't fall but doubled instead is something I will never understand.

It's great that Nathan ended up at 5th but to be honest if he had ended up with a great short he may have faltered under the pressure of that as well. We will never know what woulda, coulda have been.

eta, I miss true artistry.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 6

Nathan won the free skate in the Olympics - hopefully that helps his confidence going forward, rather than thinking about what might have been (to be honest, I would have had a bit of an issue with someone landing on the podium with such a disastrous short program).

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I know this is irrational but it really annoys me that when someone lands on their ass the box turns yellow. I really feel that should be red but I understand under the current point system it's not.

It’s not just the points system: I think the aspect of the green/yellow/red that can be kind of confusing or counterintuitive is that yellow isn’t inherently better than red, nor red necessarily worse than yellow. Yellow just means, hang on, we gotta recheck this thing and figure out how it’s gonna be classified (maybe wrong term) and/or then assign its GOE. Red means it’s already clear and it’s getting a negative GOE. Once they return to review that yellow, it COULD be scored better than those that were immediately red (or green for that matter), or, they could be downgraded AND given a lower GOE, like, a darker red, so to speak. 

I’m no expert like so many here, so I hope that made sense, and maybe I projected my original misunderstanding onto you and that wasn’t what you meant to begin with, but I know it took me some time to figure out that the yellow was really a place holder and not a measurement. Because we so closely identify it with the stop light signal symbol which has become such a metonymy go/slow/stop and then good/okay/bad, I think it became misleading (even though the slow/yield connotation isn’t wrong) that they should have replaced the yellow with, like, gray or something, to dissociate that inaccurate but logical conclusion.

• Love 2

This is a great podium. Fabulous skating tonight. 

Hanyu was amazing, Uno was so flipping cute, Javi finally got his medal, Chen got redemption, and Zhou said Rippon made it into the top 10. 

• Love 7

Hmmmm. I kind of think Javi should've gotten silver, but any medal is an accomplishment.

Nathan winning the free skate? That has to be bittersweet. You know he's absolutely kicking himself right now for choking in the short.

All three Americans placing top ten? Amazing.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Heh, I love Uncle Dick.

Very cute Dick. :) I wonder if Hanyu will try for a 3-peat and in turn attempt to break this record?

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, hjmugillecuty said:

Guys, I'm a little nervous. All the people I was chanting "Fall,fall,fall" at, fell. I don't know what to do with this power.

Please come over to Alpine, and help out the American women.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, hjmugillecuty said:

Guys, I'm a little nervous. All the people I was chanting "Fall,fall,fall" at, fell. I don't know what to do with this power.

That’s quite a power! Please do not use that power against Mirai!

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, hjmugillecuty said:

Make sure to watch the Not-Russian ladies when they skate.  They'll still win but maybe we can expose Skating While Russian and shame the judges.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Make sure to watch the Not-Russian ladies when they skate.  They'll still win but maybe we can expose Skating While Russian and shame the judges.

Apply it to the Not Russian ice dancers too. I have a bad feeling after the scores from the Team event. 

• Love 10

Well that was a very deserving podium. I didn't think Nathan would medal but he got his mojo back and that was sweet of Hanyu to hug and congratulate him. 

I think in terms of actual skating skills Shoba Uno was far and away the best with beautiful speed, edges, spins, positions. Just not the consistency yet but he's my pick to dominate the next quad. I'm glad he placed over Javier who is a sentimental favorite but who IMO sort of does a lot of ice posing and whose basic skating skills just aren't what they were. 

• Love 10
Just now, MaKaM said:

Apply it to the Not Russian ice dancers too. I have a bad feeling after the scores from the Team event. 

I didn't watch the Team event, but please say it ain't so. Sigh.

9 minutes ago, Enero said:

I'm very happy for Hanyu, but Nathan had the program of the night. It would have been an Olympic moment...if he had only delivered in the short. 

I don't agree with that, the two Japanese guys and Javier Fernandez were better than Nathan artistically IMO.  I don't believe quads should count for everything in ice skating.

I am glad Javier got a medal. He has the sweetest smile.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Hmmmm. I kind of think Javi should've gotten silver, but any medal is an accomplishment.

Me, too.  Very enjoyable performance.  On a shallow note, best looking skater.

(I enjoyed Messing's performance, also.  I was cringing a bit when I saw the Charlie Chaplin routine, but it was entertaining)

• Love 4

One bit of figure skating gossip to round out the night: Javier Fernandez had struggled for several years while being coached by Nikolai Morozov who was at that time having a very public affair with his student Miki Ando. Javier moved to Brian Orser, Miki and Morozov broke up but not before Miki had her baby, and now Javier is dating Miki Ando. How's that for #winning?

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

It's great that Nathan ended up at 5th but to be honest if he had ended up with a great short he may have faltered under the pressure of that as well. We will never know what woulda, coulda have been.

Yeah. And he certainly wouldn't have done that record 6th quad if he did well in the short. 

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I wanted Javi to get the silver, but thank you Shoma for making the podium so at least Nathan didn’t miss it by so little.

This is EXACTLY where I am. I'd be spitting nails for ages if he lost a medal by that bogus 0.42.

Uno's triple-half-triple combo was pretty darn impressive.

19 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Someone placing higher with a fall over someone who didn't fall but doubled instead is something I will never understand.

Yeah. It's easy to think he'd have medaled if he had been merely adequate in the short. But who knows how he would have skated with a different result in the short. He may not have gone for that sixth quad. Or he would have still felt more pressure and not skated lights-out. Still, it gnaws.

I really hope they address the issue of scoring with falls in the offseason. You shouldn't get more points for falling on a quad than doing a beautiful triple of the same jump.

One bit of figure skating gossip to round out the night: Javier Fernandez had struggled for several years while being coached by Nikolai Morozov who was at that time having a very public affair with his student Miki Ando. Javier moved to Brian Orser, Miki and Morozov broke up but not before Miki had her baby, and now Javier is dating Miki Ando. How's that for #winning?

? Well. Yes, skating definitely is a soap opera!

Edited by Souris
  • Love 6

I’m watching the Olympic Ice I dvred and Tanith called it. She said she wouldn’t be surprised if Nathan gave the free skate of his life and then watched 90 minutes as his score held up against everyone and made it close to the end.

• Love 2

They should split the jump into the flight and landing portions. That way you can get goe for good air position and landing. And if you fall, you still get some credit for the flight part but nothing for the landing. 

And were they going easy on under rotations tonight? It looked like a few that would usually be called were ignored. Even the Australian lady pointed out a few that got no review. 

• Love 8