Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E08: Out of Nowhere

• Start Topic

MID SEASON FINALE!

A hacker compromises the hospital's computer system, causing monitors, phones, labs and patient files to all go down. As technology fails them, Bailey attempts to keep the peace but chaos erupts and the doctors are forced to get creative in their methods to treat the patients.

Promo:

The blood thing in the helicopter was disgusting. All I kept thinking was that I hope that patient wasn't carrying any blood-borne pathogens. And I sincerely hope that when we pick up in January we see Jo just shove right past her ex and continue racing to that kids room to get the information to Alex.

• Love 12

Kind of a meh episode, except for Jo racing to prevent the little kid from getting the wrong meds and bleeding out.  Very dirty trick to play before the two month break, IMO.  I wish Jo would have kicked her ex in the shin, and kept on running.

Ellen Pompeo is looking her age and more, particularly when she puts on a pained smile.  Not a good look.

Edited by Blonde Gator
  • Love 3

This was pretty entertaining. I liked the hacking story - created some good drama across the hospital. And that was a well-done cliffhanger moment with Jo’s husband. Even Carina was better since she was talking about something other than sex and orgasms. Jaggie is still lame, so I’m going to choose to see gross blood spurting all over them as they were getting closer as a very intentional comment on them as a couple.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

Kind of a meh episode, except for Jo racing to prevent the little kid from getting the wrong meds and bleeding out.  Very dirty trick to play before the two month break, IMO.  I wish Jo would have kicked her ex in the shin, and kept on running.

Ellen Pompeo is looking her age and more, particularly when she puts on a pained smile.  Not a good look.

I honestly thought she looked like the joker when she did her pained smile. I actually jumped.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

That’s what I thought as soon as they showed him. 

I wonder if he’s known where she was the entire time and he was just waiting for the perfect opportunity. 

Right, so if he magically makes the ransomware disappear and everyone thinking he is some hero. Guess that plays into the set up of how he is: "Super evil!" Having the FBI show up, the entire building would have been locked down from top to bottom. Only have emergency like the patient being flown out. Other wise, it paints Alex and Amelia with: "We have to do something, because we don't, the world will stop." That kid might have been having problems and so glad that Grey Sloan still hires the worst security and computer people in the world. I mean, unable to get to the blood bank. Even the most high tech of hospitals still have emergency access, but we know that isn't possible in the Grey's Universe. The hacker piece happens, but they had everyone including the FBI looking like idiots. 

• Love 5

I was pretty underwhelmed with this episode, especially after last week's lovely installment. The best part was Jo running into Paul. I hope they do this DV storyline justice, especially since they've left the plot hanging for far too long. 

Carina and her "orgasms" have past their expiration date. Enough already.  

The glasses intern and Andrew's girlfriend are pretty annoying. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 11

Is Jo's husband some kind of evil renaissance man? When she first talked about him, she said he was a police officer, which is why his friends there protected him when she tried to file domestic violence complaints. Then when Alex went to LA to confront him (and decided against it), Paul was giving the keynote speech at a medical conference. And now he's also the hacker?

• Love 7

I just thought of another hacker suspect. That nurse/intern/whatever he was guy that Jo asked at the end of the episode whether Baby Boy Patient had done [Whatever or Whatever] to figure out what meds to give him? He seemed shady.

• Love 6

I forgot this was the winter finale until evil ex hubby showed up.  At least Jo sent the text.

The no-technology angle was interesting.  It really is something to see how medicine relies on it.  But it makes sense, especially with all the minutia like taking vitals.  It's important but time consuming, and healthcare professionals are stretched to the limit as it is.  

Does Carina have to say "orgasm" in every episode she's in?  Is it part of her contract?  If she's going to be nothing more than a caricature, can she please go away now?

That little exchange with Alex and Owen was funny, right down to the kid giving Owen the evil eye.  But I doubt his mother is constantly applying her makeup in the bathroom.  Maybe she's doing drugs?

I feel bad for Levi.  Can't feel good to be the bumbling one around the brilliant Meredith Grey.

Hated Bailey standing over the IT guy's shoulder and asking him to hurry up.  No way in hell would she deal with that if the situations were reversed.

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

That nurse/intern/whatever he was guy that Jo asked at the end of the episode whether Baby Boy Patient had done [Whatever or Whatever] to figure out what meds to give him? He seemed shady.

I thought that, too.  Something seemed off about him.

• Love 2

Did anyone else notice the nurse in Meredith's OR is the same scrub nurse who has been there forever?  For such a long running character, even a minor one, they should give her a tiny bit of a story. 

Glasses the intern isn't as dumb as he looks, he told Meredith before she started surgery that the tech gadgets were susceptible.....but she chose to go ahead.  Oops.  Of all of the new interns, I like Glasses the best so far. 

• Love 5

Why would anyone want to be a patient at this hospital?  They would be better off not getting treatment at all.

They are trying way to hard to sell Jackson/Maggie.  I don't care about April.  I've never liked her.  However, Jackson/Maggie don't work for me.  It's to forced.

So how long before Alex beats Jo's ex to a bloody pulp?

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, TigerLynx said:

Why would anyone want to be a patient at this hospital?  They would be better off not getting treatment at all.

They are trying way to hard to sell Jackson/Maggie.  I don't care about April.  I've never liked her.  However, Jackson/Maggie don't work for me.  It's to forced.

1 minute ago, TigerLynx said:

Sheesh, sorry, this tech virus seems to have affected my mouse, too!  Yikes.

I totally agree about the hard sell with Jaggie.  Just No!  They're trying to make it too cutsie.  And what's up with Maggie's fear of flying, did she catch it by osmosis from Meredith?  STUPID.

• Love 12

Hey Mr. Schue as the Abusing husband is here again! I’m sorry it took a lot for me to buy him as that when he first appeared, he will always be Mr. Schuster to me. 

And I guess Mer is just going to put a needle into glasses arm for blood then? 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Is Jo's husband some kind of evil renaissance man? When she first talked about him, she said he was a police officer, which is why his friends there protected him when she tried to file domestic violence complaints. Then when Alex went to LA to confront him (and decided against it), Paul was giving the keynote speech at a medical conference. And now he's also the hacker?

I don't remember her ever saying he was a police officer, that was something that was speculated about. She said he was powerful and charismatic but never mentioned his profession. It wasn't until Alex looked him up that we knew he was a doctor.

• Love 5

Omg thst helicopter scene...it’s hilarious because of how flat Jackson and Maggie came off, lol. 

All I kept thinking about was the season 9episode where Jackson told april “he’d follow you anywhere, trust me”. I felt that scene, thinking about it now I feel it. That helicopter scene? I felt nothing. Thst was the time to sell some deep emotion and connection between them and it fell so damn flat. I’m a japril shipper so if there was some meat to thst scene I would have been devastated but I ended up feeling nothing. Maybe a little giggly, lol.

Krista and Debbie are trying so damn hard with these two, if you have to try this hard it’s not working. But whatever, this is the horse they are backing, yeah okay, lol

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

Omg thst helicopter scene...it’s hilarious because of how flat Jackson and Maggie came off, lol. 

All I kept thinking about was the season 9episode where Jackson told april “he’d follow you anywhere, trust me”. I felt that scene, thinking about it now I feel it. That helicopter scene? I felt nothing. Thst was the time to sell some deep emotion and connection between them and it fell so damn flat. I’m a japril shipper so if there was some meat to thst scene I would have been devastated but I ended up feeling nothing. Maybe a little giggly, lol.

Krista and Debbie are trying so damn hard with these two, if you have to try this hard it’s not working. But whatever, this is the horse they are backing, yeah okay, lol

Yeah.. there’s nothing there for me either. And I’m sorry this pairing has felt out of nowhere since they hinted at it last season, like it seemed like they were going back to Jackson and April and then made a swift turn and went this way. Which okay? I don’t get it.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

That little exchange with Alex and Owen was funny, right down to the kid giving Owen the evil eye.  But I doubt his mother is constantly applying her makeup in the bathroom.  Maybe she's doing drugs?

I kept looking at her face, and I didn't notice excess make-up or even any make-up.  I especially looked for lipstick and didn't see it.  My guess is she's in there freaking out and trying to stop herself from crying in worry for her son.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Blonde Gator said:

Did anyone else notice the nurse in Meredith's OR is the same scrub nurse who has been there forever?  For such a long running character, even a minor one, they should give her a tiny bit of a story. 

Glasses the intern isn't as dumb as he looks, he told Meredith before she started surgery that the tech gadgets were susceptible.....but she chose to go ahead.  Oops.  Of all of the new interns, I like Glasses the best so far. 

I think that OR nurse might be one of the actual medical people who work as consultants (if they still have those).  It's like the dudes on Chicago Fire who have no names but have been there since the beginning; all actual firefighters.

As for the new interns, I'm with you on Glasses (he's annoying in a real person kind of way, I'm into that sort of thing) and I'm not hating the blonde woman who was with Alex and Jo.  Most of the rest of them are still blending into the background for me.  It was like that at first with the last batch, too, for me.

• Love 4

Given the size of the ensemble, this series will never not have a few characters, arcs, and couplings that don't work, no matter who's running the show. However, a decent script, like tonight's, can mitigate the episodic suckage. On another note, a two-month winter hiatus is, once again, a lot to ask of the audience; I'm never as invested in January as I am in November. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

Her name is Bokhee

https://www.hypable.com/greys-anatomy-season-11-bokhee/

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, pennben said:

It's a no win for actresses.....have work done, folks say "yikes", don't have work done and look your age, folks say "yikes".  Yawn.

I'm grateful she's stayed with the show, it's been fascinating watching her character grow through the years, in particular, after Derek's death. 

There is nothing wrong with aging. It's just very noticeable. And the pained smile wasn't the best look even though that's partially the intent.

Aging is normal. I don't want anyone to fight it to conform to some standard. Can't help if one notices it though.

• Love 3

I loved this episode, I'm just pissed off it wasn't two hours!!!

It's interesting when everything is online, meds etc. When we had our business, I always took the time to put everything in my ledger as well,  and yes, I know we were not as big as that huge hospital, but still, I never felt lost when my WiFi went down.

I hope Jo just runs by her jerk ex, the little boy is far more important. Tired of Deluca banging can't act girl(  she can dance) acting, not so much

I think Jackson needs some love, and if its Maggie, okay.

It looks like Arizona will be back with orgasm lady...sigh.

I loved Richard, showing them how it was done in the stone age, I'm right there with you Richard..lol! 

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

I loved this episode, I'm just pissed off it wasn't two hours!!!

It's interesting when everything is online, meds etc. When we had our business, I always took the time to put everything in my ledger as well,  and yes, I know we were not as big as that huge hospital, but still, I never felt lost when my WiFi went down.

I hope Jo just runs by her jerk ex, the little boy is far more important. Tired of Deluca banging can't act girl(  she can dance) acting, not so much

I think Jackson needs some love, and if its Maggie, okay.

It looks like Arizona will be back with orgasm lady...sigh.

I loved Richard, showing them how it was done in the stone age, I'm right there with you Richard..lol! 

Great catch!  I TOTALLY enjoyed Richard's old school medicine tonight. 

It IS truly a time-sensitive topic they covered tonight, computer hacking on a global scale.  It will be interesting to see how they resolve the issue, hacking hospitals/insurance companies/medical records has real world ramifications for each and every one of us.  I'm just really peeved that the end of the episode was SO abrupt, and we have to wait two months for a resolution.  Oh well....Top Chef starts in two weeks, LOL.

• Love 12

Great episode - as much holes as there are in Jos domestic abuse story that last scene has me super excited. Also, Mr. Shue will always be Mr. Shue but the black suit definetly gives him edge.

Lines that made me laugh:

"the interns are so scared of me"

"really?"

"No."

and

"No cuts? What is this high school?"

• Love 3

Well, this was fucking terrible.  I started laughing very loudly when the hackers' message appeared on all the screens and the cast started reading it aloud.

The Jackson/Maggie stuff was painfully bad; they really have zero chemistry, and a few of Jackson's comments were just dickish.

Glasses and DeLuca's ex-chippy are awful characters; everything about them is horrifying.  Also, whoever the actress is who plays the ex-chippy is terrrrrrrrrrrible; how on earth was she cast???  She can't deliver one single word in a believable way.  I want both these characters to die in the next GSMH catastrophe.

I think Ellen Pompeo is aging just fine.

• Love 11

Yeah the Jackson/Maggie stuff is painful. The whole "we come from different background" is petty old at this point and I feel Maggie has said that before. To Alex and Callie saying they were like the bullies who picked on her in highschool.

Either way it's just not working with those two. It's coming off as two people who aren't really into but feel they should be because other people told them they'd be good together.

I really, really don't want to start another are they related debate but I really find the chemistry between the two to be more of a big brother, little sister vibe. The lack of romantic spark makes this such a hard sell.

• Love 10

I have tried to just ignore the inevitable Jackson/Maggie crap, but during their conversation in the helicopter, I actually said, "EWWWWWWW," out loud - and that was before the blood started spurting everywhere.

I loved Richard bringing back the old school stuff, especially after April referred to the pre-ipad days of medicine as the stone age. I guess she forgot that when she first came to the hospital, they didn't have all a million ipads and the doctors and nurses had to do things like write on paper.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, izabella said:

Two months is a long time.  I always forget what's going on when they take so long a break. 

I hate winter breaks. TV has changed so much. They never had winter breaks in the shows in the 80's & even 90's that I remember. They also used to have about 24 episodes per season. (Binge watching older shows - currently St. Elsewhere -  and ALL THOSE MANY episodes really spoils me and reminds me of back then) I am not interested enough to do actual research, but I'm betting we could trace the changes back to the writers' strike quite a few years back. Seems like since then  we get fewer episodes and winter breaks.

• Love 15

What shocks me most is how many of my friends are rooting for a Jackson / Maggie hook-up, when to me they come off much more interesting as friends and siblings. To be honest, they're the only storyline that's falling totally flat for me this year in the midst of a lot of really interesting, or at least fun, storytelling. 

I love that Jo's husband showed up, and I really love that Jo is finally being treated like an actual lead member of the cast this year rather than just Alex's girlfriend. It's been great to see her thrive professionally but still remain quirky and fun. AND they actually give her scenes with Alex! I got chills when her husband showed up, even though I sort of felt it coming. Based on what Ellen, Camila, and Justin have said, the upcoming storyline is going to be really powerful. 

The premise tonight was cheesy but it reminded me of how effortlessly they pulled this type of thing off early in the show. It reminded me a bit of the 'toxic blood' episode, where the storyline was a bit ridiculous but it worked well to connect all the stories. It's great to see Meredith getting a medical cliffhanger rather than a romantic one. And I love that she's the calm during the storm these days. It's interesting to explore 'what comes next' after such a big accomplishment, which on many shows would have been a series-ending achievement. I'm enjoying how they're writing the interns relatively light, and to be honest I've already warmed up to Glasses. It's nice seeing medicine through young eyes, again, and I enjoyed how he played off Meredith (it felt a lot like watching George in surgery with Burke in the early years). 

I thought the final few moments were pulled off really well, with Alex getting ready to inject the kid, Jo running to stop him, Meredith getting glasses to give blood, etc. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Also, whoever the actress is who plays the ex-chippy is terrrrrrrrrrrible; how on earth was she cast???

She is probably the wife, daughter, or girlfriend of someone in Shonda's stable. Minnick was played by Scott Foley's wife.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

hat shocks me most is how many of my friends are rooting for a Jackson / Maggie hook-up,

That's what I've been wondering.. Are they popular to the more casual viewer?

Jolex are mostly despised around these boards but I know there is a solid fan base for them out there. I also know casual non online viewers enjoy them ie my husband and friends. 

Maggie/Jackson though - I don't know. Nobody I know is really enjoying this storyline. I don't necessarily want him back with April as I found her so likeable away from him but this Maggie/Jackson thing is not selling. I think they mentioned the incest thing so much on the show that now it's embedded in my head and it just seems wrong and awkward to watch. Not to mention forced. I don't even feel the actors are that into it.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, beverlyoc said:

I call BS on April being stunned by Richard's old-school medicine.  She was in the Middle East helping troops for a while - and they did that whole story about helping the foreign doctors who had nothing in the field.  This show is usually fantastic about honoring history - not so much this time.

Once again april is sacrificed for another character and this time it was to highlight Richards wisdom and experience, cahsenyoure right, for one thing it been less than 10 years (show time) that she was using paper charts, and another thing, she spent over a year in the Middle East working in way less conditions than what she has at Grey Sloan, she shouldn’t be such a rook at this. 

• Love 13
42 minutes ago, beverlyoc said:

I call BS on April being stunned by Richard's old-school medicine.  She was in the Middle East helping troops for a while - and they did that whole story about helping the foreign doctors who had nothing in the field.  This show is usually fantastic about honoring history - not so much this time.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but, weren't they still using paper charts in season 6 when April and Jackson transferred over from Mercy West? The old school way of doing things should not necessarily be a foreign concept to the current attendings. To the current residents and interns, sure. 

Add it to the list of the many ways Grey's has smudged continuity to service a plot. 

• Love 13
13 hours ago, readster said:

I mean, unable to get to the blood bank. Even the most high tech of hospitals still have emergency access, but we know that isn't possible in the Grey's Universe.  

They act like people don't actually work in the blood bank and couldn't be there to open the door.  Most labs I've seen have an access desk where someone logs in received specimens.  There's an open window to that area.  Other labs have windows in the doors, even if that actual doors are locked.  There are medical technologists working 24/7 to do cross-matching and antibody testing so recipients can receive donated blood.  Someone could have easily seen that a staff member needed access.  

AND why in the heck was Glasses standing while donating his blood?  If he passes out, who is going to catch him??  No health care worker that I know has ever drawn blood or initiated a blood donation venipuncture with the patient/donor standing.  They're either sitting or reclining in a chair.  

• Love 13

I hated this episode.  It was every cliche.  The dialogue was so clunky.  Jo can't catch the elevator in time to warn Alex not to give the injection so we see him start to do it in slow motion! What will happen?!?  Bailey knowing they have someone who can easily write a check for the hackers! But he can't answer his phone?!?!?  And of course, evil police officer/doctor shows up and calls Jo by her "real name!"  Arizona's line about not wanting to deliver a baby because she doesn't want to mix business and pleasure by looking at a vagina really annoyed me.  Doctors are professionals.  It reminds me of when she didn't want to date Callie, a "new lesbian," because she has enough of babies at work.  It's just weird of her.

2 hours ago, BaseOps said:

I love that Jo's husband showed up, and I really love that Jo is finally being treated like an actual lead member of the cast this year rather than just Alex's girlfriend. It's been great to see her thrive professionally but still remain quirky and fun. AND they actually give her scenes with Alex! I got chills when her husband showed up, even though I sort of felt it coming. Based on what Ellen, Camila, and Justin have said, the upcoming storyline is going to be really powerful. 

I feel like I haven't seen Jo thrive professionally.  I remember seeing her be new and learning and messing up, and then she was insecure with her skills compared to Stephanie, but she made Chief Resident based on the fact there are no other other residents from her year, not because we've seen her be excellent at anything.

1 hour ago, GalvDuck said:

AND why in the heck was Glasses standing while donating his blood?  If he passes out, who is going to catch him??  No health care worker that I know has ever drawn blood or initiated a blood donation venipuncture with the patient/donor standing.  They're either sitting or reclining in a chair.  

This really bugged me, too, especially when he said he has a problem seeing his own blood and already looked like he was about to faint and they'd just gotten started.  I fully anticipate him keeling over at some point, maybe right onto the patient.  Or at least his glasses will end up on the patient.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, deaja said:

Arizona's line about not wanting to deliver a baby because she doesn't want to mix business and pleasure by looking at a vagina really annoyed me. 

That was full on WTF for me.  Total BS.  I can't believe the writers had her say that.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 16

Oh my gosh... I just knew they were goin to blew it. I'm a computer science engineer and I just HATE watching all those cyber-stuff in TV shows. It's always sooo... annoyingly untrue adn so stupid.  I was really annoyed but Bailey's behavior "work faster" and "I'll pay the money"... In real world paying the money solves nothing because the hackers never return your data. Why would they do that? :) They don't want to leave any traces behind. :) But... this is how people actully see it. That it takes few clicks to break cipher key consisted of 256 chars. Well.. actually it takes years. :) So my guess the FBI guys didn't try to decipher data they were trying to catch the hackers. And if they better hackers than 'the hackers' they may steal the key and decipher the data.

The logical question IS - why the hell such big institution doesn't have a data copy kept on separate servers in a separate network or - better option - that don't have any access to the Internet? I mean SERIOUSLY?

One thing I liked about the episode - Webber showing everybody how to do things without machines. :)

• Love 12