Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Damage

• Start Topic

I know Supergirl isn't going there - if anything else, the whole emphasis on "family" in that last Samantha/Lena/Kara scene proved that - but after this episode, I'm back to shipping Kara/Lena.

Meanwhile, Samantha continues to unimpress. How do you go this long without changing out of your shirt and/or noticing that it has a hole in it?  And when exactly is your kid's bedtime? I know you were out investigating stuff, but...seriously, the evening included:

1.  Lena getting drunk on the couch with Ruby nowhere around.

2. Kara and Samantha finding the pool and testing the water.

3. Kara and Samantha contacting Lena.

4. A remarkably sober Lena, given that she had basically just passed out earlier, threatening Morgan Edge

5. Morgan Edge taking Lena to a cargo plane, putting her and the chemicals in it, and putting the cargo plane up in the air, as Kara/Supergirl returned to the DEO.

6. The plane breaking apart

7. Lena returning to Samantha's home and having yet another drink.

8. The all night research staff whipping out a cure and starting to cure the kiddies already.

8. Samantha, wearing the same shirt that she was wearing at the shooting, only then putting Ruby to bed.

So, either this all happened the same evening/night, in which case it really had to be at least 3 am by that point, or she didn't change shirts from day to day and just slept in her clothes. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, quarks said:

Meanwhile, Samantha continues to unimpress. How do you go this long without changing out of your shirt and/or noticing that it has a hole in it?  And when exactly is your kid's bedtime? I know you were out investigating stuff, but...seriously, the evening included:

Well, to be fair to this question, the whole episode took place over the whole day and night (it definitely had to have been 6amish when the episode ended) so Sam not changing out of her shirt makes sense. She never went to bed, so there was no need to change. Now, the not noticing a hole/not feeling the gunshot wound is a little odd, but it was a small hole, she was distracted by other things, and although I seriously question not feeling a gunshot wound, I guess they're implying that she's super powerful?

I liked the episode quite a bit. I thought it did really well with all the female characters. Sure, I'm starting to find there's a little too much Sam compared to characters that have been part of the show longer, but I get that the show really wants to tell her origin story. I just find that it's going a little slower than I would like. Also, there was less Ruby, but her kid still annoys me and I'm still waiting for that other shoe to drop. 

I loved the Lena/Kara scenes. I thought Katie McGrath did a fabulous job with her material. Though I noticed her accent slip several times, more particularly in the press conference scene, I thought she really held it together and rocked that one particular scene with Kara in Sam's home. I thought that she was very reckless because she was wracked with guilt and then anger over being framed, and I thought it really added to Lena as a character. Morgan Edge is such a villain, and Adrian Pasdar is doing a great job at it as well. 

Oh, James. You're still doing a good job as the CEO, for the most part, and I've almost forgotten that he's technically still supposed to be Guardian, because he's only suited up...once this season? And then he gets shot this episode. He also has had some nice scenes with Lena. I feel a hint of romance with their last scene, although I personally don't feel the chemistry yet. 

Alex/Maggie's break-up was inevitable, but I really liked that they had the episode to really talk things out. Now that Maggie's gone, it looks like Alex/Kara will get their own centric episode together, a first in a long time. I'm excited for it. 

Overall, I'm still pleased with how this season's picked up. And, furthermore, I only briefly thought about Mon-El once during the episode, when I thought about how nice it was for Kara to not just be consumed by Mon-El. She's actually dealing with other people's problems as well as her own this season. She's having scenes with James again! She's having girls night! She is hanging out with friends and not just Mon-El! It's fantastic! Keep it up, show! 

Seriously, though. If Mon-El comes back, just don't have Kara forget her friends and family again to hang out with her boyfriend. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, to be fair to this question, the whole episode took place over the whole day and night (it definitely had to have been 6amish when the episode ended) so Sam not changing out of her shirt makes sense. She never went to bed, so there was no need to change. Now, the not noticing a hole/not feeling the gunshot wound is a little odd, but it was a small hole, she was distracted by other things, and although I seriously question not feeling a gunshot wound, I guess they're implying that she's super powerful?

Well, yes, but that means that she didn't put her kid to bed until 6 am.

• Love 4

I knew the Alex/Maggie breakup was coming, but it was still really sad to see, especially after they've spent so much time on them. I still feel that the whole "Alex wants kids SO MUCH" thing came a bit out of left field, but at least they had the break up without having Maggie or Alex turn into an asshole for no reason to justify it. Or had them break up off screen with just a line about them splitting up between seasons or something. Still, it certainly sucks. 

I must be the only person on the planet who doesn't see anything romantic between Kara and Lena. I love their scenes, but they always come off as really close friends, and nothing romantic to me. I mean, if the show did go there, more power to them, I just never see it. Fandom is so obsessed with them hooking up (I know, fandom gonna fandom) that I feel like an idiot for not what everyone else apparently does. 

At least Ruby the 6 year old preteen wasn't around as much this week. I actually like Sam alright, and I think the actress does a good job, but I still think her character seems pretty random. Like, we suddenly meet this new character who gets a whole big subplot out of nowhere and his now best friends with Kara and Lena and comes to all their girls nights and stuff. The story isn't awful, I actually find it quite compelling, but I wish it can come about more organically. 

I didn't like this one quite as much as last week, but I did like it quite a lot. I was never a Mon-El hater, but I dont particularly miss him. Honestly, the most I miss him was when he was interacting with Winn. I liked their friendship a lot. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I knew the Alex/Maggie breakup was coming, but it was still really sad to see, especially after theyve spent so much time on it. I still feel that the whole "Alex wants kids SO MUCH" thing came a bit out of left field, but at least they had the break up without having Maggie or Alex turn into an asshole for no reason to justify it. Or had them break up off screen with just a line about them spliting up between seasons or something. Still, it certainly sucks. 

I have to say, from what I've seen so far on Twitter, the Sanvers shippers seem to be taking the breakup rather well.

I must be the only person on the planet who doesn't see anything romantic between Kara and Lena. I love their scenes, but they always come off as really close friends, and nothing romantic to me. I mean, if the show did go there, more power to them, I just never see it. Fandom is so obsessed with them hooking up (I know, fandom gonna fandom) that I feel like an idiot for not what everyone else apparently does. 

Oh, you're far from the only one. I've never seen it, either.  Hell, Winn and James have more of a romantic vibe (and let's not forget about the HUGE mancrush that they both have on Clark/Superman)!

• Love 8

I really hated that Lena went after Adrian Pasdar by herself and did it so unconvincingly. I would've liked engaging the DEO team at that point. Maybe it wouldn't suit the purposes of the season-long villain for him, but the way Lena went about it made it easier for him to get away with more and avoid responsibility.

Even though I generally liked Katie McGrath this episode, there were multiple times where I could hear her accent crystal clear. If her character had an accent in general, then this would be no biggie, but she doesn't which means she needs to disguise it way better than she did in this episode. When she was making her public statement, it was coming through big time.

I'm still getting used to Odette on here. I haven't read the spoilers about her character, so I'm just going off of what I see. I don't get why she's been integrated so fully, so quickly, to the point where they are portraying her friendships with the others as if they have some time and depth to them. But whatever I guess, trying to keep an open mind where she's concerned. Big fan of how little time Ruby got this week. More of that please.

@tennisgurl You're not alone. When I see Kara and Lena, I see two close friends and nothing more. I don't get what others are seeing at all.

• Love 6

This week: Morgan Edge makes the leap from evil to cartoon evil. I totally would have bought some asshole dumping shit in the pool for his/her purposes, and that he was truthful about not knowing about the kids dropping from lead poisoning. But no, he basically endangered the lives of children, framed Lena for it, and tried to murder her via remote-controlled old-timey plane. He probably also sold placards, pitchforks and torches to the crowd at Lena's announcement. What the hell, Talbot?!? What the hell, Petrelli?!?

Kara and Lena still work well together, and Sam was a nice addition. It would be funny if they were an unofficial DEO branch without either of them knowing about it. Am I nuts for thinking that we're looking at Lena/James? I know, might be an attempt to piss off shippers, but that totally would've been a cover on Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen back in the day. Superman: "Jimmy, you're going out with a Luthor?!?" Jimmy: "Golly, Superman! This one hasn't tried to murder you or anybody else in the past few weeks!"

Watching Alex and Maggie part was painful. Kinda hoping we get more insight into Alex wanting to be a mom in next week's episode. Right now, I'm thinking it could be a combination of her biological clock going off and/or having certain triggers within her fired. I don't hate Maggie, in the sense that she shouldn't be the bad gal for not wanting to be a parent. She works for NCPD and her parents basically fucked her over. She's probably better than them, but she might think that she'd flip the table on her kids just as badly.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Miss Dee said:

I'm sorry, I did have intelligent thoughts about this episode, and then my brain melted at the sight of Shirtless James. Daammmnnn.

Omg he was shirtless????? WOOOT!!!!

Didn't ever expect that! Hehe can't wait to see it!

• Love 1

I like Sam.   It's gonna suck as she turns bad... I mean i don't care abt ruby.. But Sam is cool.. Smart and capable.. I think her and kara are gonna get real close... Before it all goes to hell... Not super interested in next week only cuz i wanna get this reign storyline started... As predicted James and Lena may become a thing... I hope Clark comes back so i can see his reaction.. Also looking fwd to kara's reaction... James seemed somewhat peeved when kara first started showing up everywhere  with Mon El.. And I'm still holding out hope ill get a convo between kara and James abt her abrupt ending of the season one romance and subsequent running into the arms of Mon El... And james' feelings on the matter and maybe how kara feels as well

Watching Alex and Maggie gave me the feels.  I'm sad to see Maggie go but if Floriana has better opportunities and neither of them came off as the asshole, so be it.  Its clear they love each other and we can assume they'd at least still be there for each other as friends. 

I'm so disinterested in Sam that I didn't know her name was Sam till I read this thread.  I'm sure its mentioned but I fade out during her scenes and I gloss over comments in the forum because I don't find her interesting on any level.

I hope Alex and Kara get their time together.  And maybe Winn and J'onn get time with the group or I'm really going to lose interest fast. 

That really was the longest day

3 hours ago, quarks said:

I know Supergirl isn't going there - if anything else, the whole emphasis on "family" in that last Samantha/Lena/Kara scene proved that - but after this episode, I'm back to shipping Kara/Lena.

1.  Lena getting drunk on the couch with Ruby nowhere around.

2. Kara and Samantha finding the pool and testing the water.

3. Kara and Samantha contacting Lena.

4. A remarkably sober Lena, given that she had basically just passed out earlier, threatening Morgan Edge

5. Morgan Edge taking Lena to a cargo plane, putting her and the chemicals in it, and putting the cargo plane up in the air, as Kara/Supergirl returned to the DEO.

6. The plane breaking apart

7. Lena returning to Samantha's home and having yet another drink.

8. The all night research staff whipping out a cure and starting to cure the kiddies already.

8. Samantha, wearing the same shirt that she was wearing at the shooting, only then putting Ruby to bed.

So, either this all happened the same evening/night, in which case it really had to be at least 3 am by that point, or she didn't change shirts from day to day and just slept in her clothes. 

Don't forget the meeting between Lena and Kara at Catco where they found out about Morgan's attempt to blame Lena for the lead poisoning, the trip by Lena and Kara to the hospital and the confrontation with Morgan Edge, return trip by Lena, Kara and Sam back to Catco to discuss a PR response and the discussion to have a press conference, confrontation with the angry parent, there had to be an announcement that a press conference was happening later in the day in order for the angry villagers to find out about the press conference, get even angrier and make up their protest signs plus time to setup the stage, podium and the microphones, time for the shooting, trip to the hospital to see James, the lead bomb test at the DEO, Lena and Sam driving straight to Sam's house to hide, Lena washing the blood off her hands (but it won't come off a la Lady MacBeth).

And at no point during all of that did Sam's blouse appear to have big jagged hole in it -- like at the pool when Kara was on the phone -- until the end of the episode.

Of course, I'm still trying to figure how Sam knew that the poisoning had to come from inside that building with the pool -- how would she know that ?  Just because the food truck was no longer there wouldn't mean that it wasn't the cause.  Plus, the Frances Park festival occurred at least 3 weeks prior -- based on that transaction list that Sam pulled up on her computer.  Sam must own a 'jump to conclusions' mat from the movie 'Officespace'.

So the lead poisoning in Flint, Michigan also occurred on Earth-38 ?  That seems unlikely -- kind of like the President building a wall comment a couple of episodes ago when teh President is an aliean -- they keep trying to sprinkle real-world events into the mix, but they just come off as lazy since odds are that Earth-38 is so substantially different.

• Love 1

Sam has known Lena "for a long time"? Wait - what? I mean, that's fine, but it's completely new info that doesn't fit what they've shown previously.

Liked Kara and Sam investigating. Man, Edge is evil! He reminds me of Lex Luthor , the Lois & Clark version.

James & Lena -- it's happening!!

tumblr_oiidq4hpUe1rn5vflo2_500.gif

• Love 3

My impression is that Samantha did not change her blouse and her underwear and did not take shower for at least two days as there was another parallel event happening: Maggie and Alex broke up, danced, had hot lesbian sex, woke up and Maggie was leaving. That chain of events suggested that the episode at least went overnight.

Anyway, when Supergirl pushed the C-130 up from inside, one of the engine exploded. Why? And why did Kara need Winn's help to read the analysis? The portable analysis machine was right there, attached to her phone. She could have read the reading on her phone. Unless of course they suggested that the contraption somehow teleported the water to DEO HQ and the water got analyzed there.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

My impression is that Samantha did not change her blouse and her underwear and did not take shower for at least two days as there was another parallel event happening: Maggie and Alex broke up, danced, had hot lesbian sex, woke up and Maggie was leaving. That chain of events suggested that the episode at least went overnight.

Anyway, when Supergirl pushed the C-130 up from inside, one of the engine exploded. Why? And why did Kara need Winn's help to read the analysis? The portable analysis machine was right there, attached to her phone. She could have read the reading on her phone. Unless of course they suggested that the contraption somehow teleported the water to DEO HQ and the water got analyzed there.

Maybe it just sent the results to the DEO, and she couldn't see it on her phone?

I'm sitting here watching the episode and everyone is like let's kill Lena after there is no investigation into a possible side effect to the lead bomb. Literally nothing definitive at all but clearly she's evil for not letting us all become the slaves of an alien race? Like really? Your kids would not be better off at the hands of the Daxsimites. Let's at least try to solve the problem before sending out a lynch mob.

Lena going after Edge made no sense at all. It doesn't clear her name or get her anything back. Killing him is only going to convince more people she's evil. 

The Alex/ Maggie stuff was really well done. It's sad but a lot of relationships end that way. At least they ended it before one of them ended up resenting the other for making them lead a life they didn't want. I'm going to be pissed if Maggie shows up a year or two later in a new relationship with a kid. 

• Love 4

Okay, so Morgan Edge just walks away scot-free after poisoning kids.  Lena couldn't give a police statement that she confronted the guy in his office (leaving out the gun part of course) and woke up on a plane filled with the chemical used in the swimming pool?  And yeah, everyone seems to have a short attention span about the fact that Lena's bomb saved the human race from being a bunch of Daxsimite slaves.  But that's tv for you.  Other than that I liked the episode.  I enjoyed the Lena scenes, and Kara actually did some sleuthing instead of just solving everything with the Supergirl method.  The Alex/Maggie soap opera had run its course.  Must Alex spend this entire series crying and heartbroken over something?  I know she's great at playing those scenes but the writers seem to have her typecast.  They need to give Alex something to do once in awhile that isn't an emo fest.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It's just what fandom does, any two characters must be completely antagonistic towards each other or the fandom will think that they're in a relationship and are just denying it(thanks to the Belligerent Sexual Tension and Foe Yay tropes, sometimes not even then). I've noticed female-to-female interactions get this the most, they basically just have to share a scene together and the fans will shout "OMG LESBIANS!!!" Probably because a large amount of viewers are male (like me) and find that hot (meh, not really.)

All I could think of with that one parent and the one that tried to shoot Lena was "what a bunch of ungrateful selfish assholes" and the episode seems to want us to actually side with them or at least understand their point of view. I don't, even if Lena's Lead WMD had been responsible (if it was, the events of this episode would have happened a while ago anyway so it obviously wasn't) the episode seems to fail to acknowledge the fact that she did it to save the entire planet and thus she really has nothing to be guilty over. "My planet could be enslaved as long as my precious little angel is alright!!" is a trope that really bugs me. Sure, these parents have the right to be devastated over the plight of their kids but their kids being collateral damage is not a justification for faulting Lena for what she did, especially since nobody else on the planet apparently had any alternative since Earth was absolutely helpless to stop an alien invasion by anything resembling conventional means and had to resort to drastic actions to do anything. On that note, I'll give them a pass this one time but if the next time Earth gets invaded by aliens they don't have some reverse engineered Daxamite fighters or something at least I'll be annoyed.

21 minutes ago, Dobian said:

Okay, so Morgan Edge just walks away scot-free after poisoning kids.  Lena couldn't give a police statement that she confronted the guy in his office (leaving out the gun part of course) and woke up on a plane filled with the chemical used in the swimming pool?  But that's tv for you.

That's reality for you too. Without proof it would have just been Lena's word against Edge's and accomplished nothing but making her look to the public like she was just making a counteraccusation to try and save her own ass. This is probably the reason she was willing to take the measure of killing him and living with the consequences since Lena was aware the only real way to stop him and make him pay for his crimes was to kill him.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Man, Edge is evil! He reminds me of Lex Luthor , the Lois & Clark version.

Most of the season long Big Bads seem to be heavily drawing on Lex Luthor to some extent, especially the corrupt business types. I figured Morgan Edge had worked things out so that nothing could be tied to him and so Supergirl would be forced to just make some empty threats and walk away, Lex Luthor did that kind of thing all the time.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, quarks said:

Well, yes, but that means that she didn't put her kid to bed until 6 am.

Makes a nice contrast to Oliver Queen's kid who in the season opener kept going to bed at like 5 or 6 PM, lol.  

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I didn't see anything shippy between them in this episode, it was very much just supportive, close friends, but last season at times it was just so in your face and blatant that I was sure the showrunners set the tease up very deliberately.  Like when Supergirl was carrying Lena in her arms, bridal style, Lena's arms looped around her neck like a replica of a Lois & Clark episode still.  Even this year with Lena insisting she needed Kara's help to run Catco.  There's a vibe.   

I don't ship them and don't think the show intends to go there but I get why some do beyond just the excitement of having real female friendship on air and that they have a good chemistry.  If there wasn't the sister relationship between Kara and Alex I'm sure people would ship them like crazy.  I sometimes get frustrated that friendship doesn't get to be showcased as important without it being something more but I'm also a huge shipper of friends to lovers so I have really no leg to stand on in this conversation, lol. 

Lena and Jimmy is soo a thing that's coming.  I'm always glad for Jimmy to get something that doesn't involve Guardian.  That said, I was surprised that they didn't use him on that prison bus hostage takedown thing.  Seemed like a perfect way to toss his alter ego in the episode without letting it consume the episode.    

Maggie and Alex's break up was painful and really touching.  The wanting kids thing to break a couple up without making anyone the bad guy is getting to be a cliche but things become cliche's because they work.  

Kara taking Alex home for a few days really was the perfect ending to the scene in the bar. 

Next week's episode looks really good.  I think the girl cast to play young Kara actually looks more like MB than the one they had before.  When did they put her in the opening title sequence?  Has the new girl been there in the pod the whole season and I just didn't notice before? Hopefully, the new actors can act. Even bigger hope that the writers remember to write young Kara and young Alex as the right ages.  The girl playing Ruby might be good if they'd just stop writing her like a 6-year-old.  William on Arrow had the same problem initially.  

I'm enjoying EVOL Morgen Edge.  I think he works for the show.  

I'm still enjoying the slow unfolding of Sam's story.  Her inclusion into the friend's fold may seem fast but some friendships work that way and with her connections to Lena, it makes sense.  And both Kara and Lena need more friends.  

Good episode.  

• Love 7

Is there really any reason for J'onn to stay at HQ while Kara is off being Supergirl?  The Lena rescue would have been a whole lot easier if he had been right there, everyone already knows he's an alien, and we're past the whole thing about Kara wanting to prove herself without a superpowered babysitter. 

• Love 5

I really enjoyed today's episode, more than I have in a long time.

LOVED the action scene with Kara holding two parts of the plane. I know she's got super strength etc but it was a nice reminder of just how powerful she is. 

I really like Sam and don't want her to go evil despite being completely intrigued as to how such a lovely lady will go full blown villain!

Count me in as someone who doesn't see anything more than friendship between Lena and Kara. Maybe I've just grown up with very close and affectionate girlfriends! The girls I know in real life are all married to men with kids and are a lot more affectionate and touchy feely than Lena and Kara. I do think it's a lovely friendship though. Lena is a great character. I love that she's actually good but has the potential to be grey and it plays off well with Kara's sunshine and rainbows personality. Lena is probably my favourite character on this show right now. 

Speaking of Lena, Lena/Jimmy is sooooo happening and I am ALL for it. I like their dynamics and think they are really well suited. There's something grown up but potentially fun about them and the chemistry is decent! If they ever bring Mon El back and resolve whatever issues they plan to bring on with him, I would be delighted to see a Kara/Mon El and Lena/Jimmy double date! One couple is so cool and the other a bit daggy.

Lastly.....Jimmy shirtless! I did not realise I needed that but THANK YOU show for letting me have a perve!!!!!!! *seriously ponders whether this is actually the real reason why I have enjoyed Supergirl so much in a long time* Now MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!

• Love 2

Overall I liked it. I usually do. But no show is perfect, even though I know a lot of these things are just nitpicking and don't actually detract from my enjoyment of the show, but I still like to talk about them.

Let's start with Samantha.

I don't quite get how she could have been shot and not noticed. I mean, she's from Krypton so she's bulletproof here, that's fine. But Kara and Clark always seem to know when bullets are bouncing off them. It may not 'hurt' but I never got the impression their skin was so tough it made them unaware of the impacts. Though to be fair I guess there was a lot going on the time.

On a separate note the character is getting an awful lot of unusual screen time. She's hanging out with Kara and Lena. If you're like me and avoid spoilers you only have the show to go on and we find out Samantha has apparently been a good enough friend to Lena for long enough she's willing to basically turn her company over to her, even though we have never seen or heard from her before. It's almost like Dawn from Buffy, she was never there one minute and the next she's everyone's best friend with no build up or explanation. But unlike Dawn, the character and actress are pleasant enough, so long as we don't spend too much time away from the show's main characters (and less with her annoying daughter) I'm fine with her.

Alex and Maggie.

We knew it was coming. That doesn't make it suck any less. I really liked them together. I kind of agree with those who say Alex wanting kids sort of came out of nowhere but the same could be said for her liking girls. It was there all along and she only now noticed or acknowledged or accepted it. But does this mean every time she starts seeing someone new she's going to immediately ask if they want kids and shut it down if they don't? Because I have to imagine that would make for some pretty awkward first dates.

Kara and the plane.

When she first started pushing on the roof of the plane and somehow altered it's flight I was like, "Wait, what?" Good thing Kryptonians and physics have such a good relationship they will do whatever they say. If she was pushing up from the bottom maybe but at best all this should do is jam her hands through the roof and tear the plane in...oh, okay. Still not sold on burning the engine out but I can roll with it. It was noble and all for Lena to suggest Supergirl let her die over stopping the poison but she clearly doesn't understand the mind of a superhero. Speaking of, how pissed do you think Lena it going to be when she finally finds out Kara is Supergirl?

James.

When Lena decided to step back from CatCo and LCorp she put James in charge of running the former. My response was "Isn't he already doing that?" I know Lena bought the place and could have chosen someone else if she wanted but telling him to basically do what he has been doing all along seems kind of odd. On the other hand, at least the show seems to have found a place for James. He's there, doing something important, but not shoving Guardian in our face all the time acting like that is the only way he can be relevant.

Kara and Winn and the pool.

Someone up thread asked why Kara couldn't look at the results on her phone. Well, she probably could. But not being a scientist I'm not sure the readings would have meant anything to her. Though were those handful of kids Edge poisoned really the only people who swam in that pool? I would have expected a much higher concentration of supposed lead poisonings than we got.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3

So many idiot balls/plotholes, so little time....

In no particular order

1. So Edge's master plan was to create a chemical that when mixed with water simulates lead poisoning. He not only uses a company he owns/owned, he uses barrels tied to this company and he doesn't cover his tracks by a) dosing multiple places or b) draining the pool after exposing people so that no one can trace this back to him.

2.  Edge fakes the suicide of his henchman by shooting him from across a room in his chest.  National City must have the worst forensic people in the world.

3. Kara hears a gun click but doesn't find the gunwoman in time, doesn't show that she is faster than a speeding bullet, and lets both Jimmy and Sam get shot. For that matter, the gunwoman is that awful at shooting that she a) decides to attempt to shoot Lena where there is pretty much no chance of escape and b) somehow misses with every shot despite the element of surprise.

4. Lena's descent into alcoholism when there's the mere possibility that the children got lead poisoning.

5. So no adults used the pool and got exposed after it got poisoned?

6. The press conference -- why hold it outside or where members of the public could be present? She has two large office buildings from which she could hold the press conference -- Catco and LCorp, not to mention the hospital. 

7. This week's politics anvil: mention of Flint, Michigan and Lock her up.

8.  Thinking like a Luthor does not involve crashing into your enemy's base of operations with a gun while drunk. At least, I hope it doesn't.

9. What kind of  BS Batman 66 deathtrap was Morgan Edge using to put Lena in the cargo plane and dump the chemicals? Aside from there being easier/better ways to kill Lena, what's the point of adding more of the poison once Lena's dead? Why have the transmitter on at all? 

10. Why can't Kara hold both parts of the plane? She has certainly moved larger things than this before. She certainly could throw one up, rescue Lena and then grab the barrels before either is in danger?

11. Morgan Edge getting to mwa-ha-ha another day. It seems pretty unbelievable that they couldn't provide more proof of Edge's involvement.

12. If Edge sold the company two years ago, why would Lena have known about it when she only recently did her due dilligence?

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

This week's politics anvil: mention of Flint, Michigan and Lock her up.

When I heard these two lines, my eyes rolled SO HARD. Just as they did when that father was able to get through security to get in Lena's face to tell her that his son was in a coma, and dying, when he should be up and laughing and playing. Just STOP already with this.

Are we Am I  going to have to suffer seeing Ruby in every episode from now on?

Aside from other plot holes, it was a good episode.

I hope we're done with emotionally fragile Alex now. I want the badass kickass DEO agent Alex back!

• Love 3

Chicago Redshirt caught some I missed or forgot, so I'm going to respond to them.

16 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

2.  Edge fakes the suicide of his henchman by shooting him from across a room in his chest.  National City must have the worst forensic people in the world.

Yeah, that one jarred me too. The gunshot residue was a nice touch Edge, but I'm pretty sure people don't commit suicide by shooting themselves in the chest (or head, in case his aim was better than it appeared) from four feet away.

18 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

3. Kara hears a gun click but doesn't find the gunwoman in time, doesn't show that she is faster than a speeding bullet, and lets both Jimmy and Sam get shot. For that matter, the gunwoman is that awful at shooting that she a) decides to attempt to shoot Lena where there is pretty much no chance of escape and b) somehow misses with every shot despite the element of surprise.

To be fair, Kara's super hearing is omnidirectional and she had a lot of people to scan before she found the right one. She couldn't be certain of the gun (she had to xray the one guys pocket for what turned out to be his phone) until she actually saw it The woman was too grief stricken to be thinking clearly, and was probably not a trained marksman.

20 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

7. This week's politics anvil: mention of Flint, Michigan and Lock her up.

I somehow missed the Flint, Michigan mention but Lock Her Up was about as subtle as a punch to the face.

21 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

8.  Thinking like a Luthor does not involve crashing into your enemy's base of operations with a gun while drunk. At least, I hope it doesn't.

Now I have this image in my head of Lex, just before he is arrested, drunkenly crashing his vehicle into Superman's fortress of solitude and just laying there in the snow swearing at him.

22 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

10. Why can't Kara hold both parts of the plane? She has certainly moved larger things than this before. She certainly could throw one up, rescue Lena and then grab the barrels before either is in danger?

I don't think it was the weight, considering she lifted Fort Rozz and the submarine, but her grip. That is, the parts of the plane she was holding on to were buckling and she needed to focus on one.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

So the lead poisoning in Flint, Michigan also occurred on Earth-38 ?  That seems unlikely -- kind of like the President building a wall comment a couple of episodes ago when teh President is an aliean -- they keep trying to sprinkle real-world events into the mix, but they just come off as lazy since odds are that Earth-38 is so substantially different.

It was never stated that the President wants to build a wall.  The Speaker of the House is the one who is pushing that idea on Earth-38.  Cat called him out on it during one of her first press conferences, remember?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, immortalfrieza said:

That's reality for you too. Without proof it would have just been Lena's word against Edge's and accomplished nothing but making her look to the public like she was just making a counter accusation to try and save her own ass. This is probably the reason she was willing to take the measure of killing him and living with the consequences since Lena was aware the only real way to stop him and make him pay for his crimes was to kill him.

Except that it was proven that those kids were all at that pool which ties them together, and that the chemicals were in that pool.  Except that he was the one who went on the very public campaign to pin it on Lena with no evidence.  Except that it was known that he had an axe to grind because she had bought Catco out from under him.  His accomplice would have no motive to do this to Lena.  Except that he used to own the company that produces those chemicals.  Except that the physical evidence of the same chemicals was on that plane.  Except that Supergirl can salvage the cockpit and prove that the plane was guided remotely, and that they can trace this and the transmissions back to where he and his accomplice were sending them.  They can likely salvage data off that console as well.  And of course the relationship between Edge and the guy he murdered could be investigated.  So it was a lot more than just her word against his.  But I accept that this isn't a deep show and it's all about setting up super villains for Supergirl to defeat.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, immortalfrieza said:

It's just what fandom does, any two characters must be completely antagonistic towards each other or the fandom will think that they're in a relationship and are just denying it(thanks to the Belligerent Sexual Tension and Foe Yay tropes, sometimes not even then). I've noticed female-to-female interactions get this the most, they basically just have to share a scene together and the fans will shout "OMG LESBIANS!!!" Probably because a large amount of viewers are male (like me) and find that hot (meh, not really.)

(twitches)

As the person whose comment seems to have set this off, well, for me at least, no. I'm not male, and although I'm bisexual, I don't automatically find lesbians/lesbian scenes hot. (Some, sure, but it's one of those things that definitely depends upon the actors, the setup, and the filming - and frankly, the more it's "yes, we just threw this in here because we wanted a hot girl on girl scene," the less it's a turn-on.)  And I don't automatically ship two women together just because they have a scene together - with Supergirl specifically, I didn't ship Cat/Kara at all, despite all of their scenes together in the first and second seasons.  I'm also not shipping Lena or Kara with any other women on the show. Lena and Samantha, for instance, have already shared several scenes together, and Samantha just helped clear Lena's name, apparently leaving her kid alone in the house with a drunk woman to do so, and later called Lena family. But those scenes have come off as purely platonic to me.

I'll also add that I'm 100% sure that Lena and Kara aren't in any sort of relationship beyond friendship, and unlike with Oliver and Felicity in the first couple of seasons of Arrow, or for that matter Lena and James now, I haven't seen any signs from the show that Supergirl intends to go there with Kara/Lena at any point.  I'd even argue that the script has included several moments emphasizing that this is not the direction Supergirl is going - Lena's recent anecdote about the guy who wanted to know her religion first; last night's emphasis on saying that Lena is now part of Kara's family, not a potential girlfriend.  This isn't Game of Thrones. 

All that said, apart from Lena's inexplicable failure to figure out that Kara and Supergirl are the same person, I like their dynamic and their interactions together, and I find their relationship more interesting that any of Kara's romantic relationships. Which, granted, is partly because I find Lena a lot more interesting to watch than Mon-El.

And yes, I'm all about the best friends turning into lovers trope, so, consider my buttons pushed.

9 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

And I'm still holding out hope ill get a convo between kara and James abt her abrupt ending of the season one romance and subsequent running into the arms of Mon El... And james' feelings on the matter and maybe how kara feels as well

I think that Kara/James shippers definitely deserve something like this, but I also think there's a better chance of Kara/Lena sharing a kiss than Kara/James having any sort of conversation about their aborted romance.  Which is to say, close to zero for either one.  For whatever reason, Supergirl has backed away from that relationship completely to the point of acting as if it never happened at all.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

When I heard these two lines, my eyes rolled SO HARD. Just as they did when that father was able to get through security to get in Lena's face to tell her that his son was in a coma, and dying, when he should be up and laughing and playing. Just STOP already with this.

Are we Am I  going to have to suffer seeing Ruby in every episode from now on?

Aside from other plot holes, it was a good episode.

I hope we're done with emotionally fragile Alex now. I want the badass kickass DEO agent Alex back!

Catco clearly hired security guards that were dismissed from Smallville's Luthor Mansion for being too lax. :)

And amen to having Alex be in full bad-ass mode soon. Although it seems odd that Kara was like, "Let me have you beat the crap of a bus full of convicts so to get out your frustrations about your impending breakup."

My unspoiled speculation is that Alex is going to get in a relationship with Samantha, which means that Ruby is going to get more screentime than Jimmy and Winn. Suck it, Supergirl viewers!

• Love 1

On a separate note the character is getting an awful lot of unusual screen time. She's hanging out with Kara and Lena. If you're like me and avoid spoilers you only have the show to go on and we find out Samantha has apparently been a good enough friend to Lena for long enough she's willing to basically turn her company over to her, even though we have never seen or heard from her before. It's almost like Dawn from Buffy, she was never there one minute and the next she's everyone's best friend with no build up or explanation. But unlike Dawn, the character and actress are pleasant enough, so long as we don't spend too much time away from the show's main characters (and less with her annoying daughter) I'm fine with her.

Hey, someone has to get all the screentime that was soaked up by Mon-El (that's not a criticism, but he was undeniably a key player in many episodes last season).  J'onn had his spotlight so David Harewood is clearly resting, Winn is just magical tech support, and James needs time to maintain his physique.  However, this instant friendship does match last season when Lena and Kara went from strangers to BFFs in about 5 minutes. 

For whatever it's worth, the main characters not having ANY friends outside of the regular cast is a pretty standard thing across all of the DC CW shows.

1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

9. What kind of  BS Batman 66 deathtrap was Morgan Edge using to put Lena in the cargo plane and dump the chemicals? Aside from there being easier/better ways to kill Lena, what's the point of adding more of the poison once Lena's dead? Why have the transmitter on at all?

He doesn't just want Lena dead, he wants her completely ruined.  He was setting her up to be a terrorist that tried to kill all of National City.  Coulson would not like the way Talbot has turned out lately.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, quarks said:

(twitches)

As the person whose comment seems to have set this off, well, for me at least, no. I'm not male, and although I'm bisexual, I don't automatically find lesbians/lesbian scenes hot. (Some, sure, but it's one of those things that definitely depends upon the actors, the setup, and the filming - and frankly, the more it's "yes, we just threw this in here because we wanted a hot girl on girl scene," the less it's a turn-on.)  And I don't automatically ship two women together just because they have a scene together - with Supergirl specifically, I didn't ship Cat/Kara at all, despite all of their scenes together in the first and second seasons.  I'm also not shipping Lena or Kara with any other women on the show. Lena and Samantha, for instance, have already shared several scenes together, and Samantha just helped clear Lena's name, apparently leaving her kid alone in the house with a drunk woman to do so, and later called Lena family. But those scenes have come off as purely platonic to me.

I'll also add that I'm 100% sure that Lena and Kara aren't in any sort of relationship beyond friendship, and unlike with Oliver and Felicity in the first couple of seasons of Arrow, or for that matter Lena and James now, I haven't seen any signs from the show that Supergirl intends to go there with Kara/Lena at any point.  I'd even argue that the script has included several moments emphasizing that this is not the direction Supergirl is going - Lena's recent anecdote about the guy who wanted to know her religion first; last night's emphasis on saying that Lena is now part of Kara's family, not a potential girlfriend.  This isn't Game of Thrones. 

All that said, apart from Lena's inexplicable failure to figure out that Kara and Supergirl are the same person, I like their dynamic and their interactions together, and I find their relationship more interesting that any of Kara's romantic relationships. Which, granted, is partly because I find Lena a lot more interesting to watch than Mon-El.

And yes, I'm all about the best friends turning into lovers trope, so, consider my buttons pushed.

I think that Kara/James shippers definitely deserve something like this, but I also think there's a better chance of Kara/Lena sharing a kiss than Kara/James having any sort of conversation about their aborted romance.  Which is to say, close to zero for either one.  For whatever reason, Supergirl has backed away from that relationship completely to the point of acting as if it never happened at all.

And thats the thing.. I doubt id go as far to say i was a shipper for James and Kara.. But i understood the pairing.. And didn't hate it.. Woulda been interesting ti see the complications of a inter-species/racial relationship with all the intersections the two of them had.. But it ending isnt a deal breaker... What almost was.. Was how it got sidelined and renditioned to some CIA blacksite never to be spoken if or referenced again... When it is so glaringly something that at least needs sone closure

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jediknight said:

He doesn't just want Lena dead, he wants her completely ruined.  He was setting her up to be a terrorist that tried to kill all of National City.  Coulson would not like the way Talbot has turned out lately.

First of all, that completely undermines the"Lena poisoned our kids with her lead bomb" narrative if the theory is Lena actually poisoned the pool for reasons and then personally flew on a plane that dumped the same chemical into the reservoir for reasons.

Second, who would buy that she was going to personally fly a plane full of toxins? Even if we're going to believe that she's turned full-on evil, there are way better ways to deploy the toxin that don't involve implicating or killing herself. I mean, people might inherently distrust her as a Luthor, but nobody would be that dumb.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

First of all, that completely undermines the"Lena poisoned our kids with her lead bomb" narrative if the theory is Lena actually poisoned the pool for reasons and then personally flew on a plane that dumped the same chemical into the reservoir for reasons.

Second, who would buy that she was going to personally fly a plane full of toxins? Even if we're going to believe that she's turned full-on evil, there are way better ways to deploy the toxin that don't involve implicating or killing herself. I mean, people might inherently distrust her as a Luthor, but nobody would be that dumb.

Also, the glaringly obvious flaw in this plan: Lena doesn’t know how to fly a plane! Do we know this for sure, no, but I’d say it’s a pretty good bet that she doesn’t.

By the way, whose plane was that? 30 million dollar planes don’t just grow on trees, you know.

• Love 2

I really don't like how they handled the Alex/Maggie breakup. So Alex, who the show never bothered to mention even wanting kids AT ALL before a couple of episodes ago, is now so in desperate need to have them that her fiancée not wanting them is enough to make her go "nope, this isn't going to work out?" Well you can tell that that was not planned out, because it comes across as really contrived.

The writers continuing to insist that Lena doesn't know that Kara is Supergirl, continues to be ridiculous.  Sorry, not buying it at all.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, quarks said:

(twitches)

I found the whole Alex/Maggie story to be nicely acted and written, but it kind of devolved into generic soap opera where they had to invent some issue to undermine their happy ending.  Apparently it was because the actress decided to leave the show, so not like they had much choice.

1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

My unspoiled speculation is that Alex is going to get in a relationship with Samantha, which means that Ruby is going to get more screentime than Jimmy and Winn. Suck it, Supergirl viewers!

Wow...that just never occurred to me (truly...I'm not being sarcastic), but it makes sense.  How else is she going to become a mommy this fast?  I mean, the show is not making a big deal about Alex wanting kids if they are just going to drop it now that Maggie is out of the picture. 

@quarks, as the only "out" shipper of Ray and Mick on the Legends boards, I feel your pain. I promise to trust that you're a very thoughtful and intelligent person with a lot of sense that just happens to get a kick out of imagining a very unlikely pairing on a specific show, if you'll do the same for me. (I swear in my case it's, like, 90% true.)

And "friends turned lovers" is also my shipping Kryptonite...and how I ended up with my husband, so yeah, really soft spot for that.

I see how other people see the sexual chemistry between Kara and Lena; I just don't feel it myself. I do think they emphasized the "family" angle quite hard in this episode. Although I got a chuckle out of how just after they all declare themselves sisters, Alex calls and Kara is like "Yep, gotta go." There's family, and then there's family.

• Love 4

Not that they probably aren’t going to fast-track Alex to mommydom anyway, but just because someone ends a relationship because they want kids and the other doesn’t, isn’t because that person wants kids now-right-this-second. Just someday. But the relationship has to end because if the other person is that dead-set against it, the relationship will disintegrate anyway on that one sore point. It’ll become the focus of every argument they ever have. 

• Love 5

Okay, so Morgan Edge just walks away scot-free after poisoning kids.  Lena couldn't give a police statement that she confronted the guy in his office (leaving out the gun part of course) and woke up on a plane filled with the chemical used in the swimming pool?

Which begs the question: Why can't Supergirl simply go on TV and go "Hey everybody, guess what? Morgan Edge poisoned those kids in order to frame Lena. Then he tried to poison the entire city's water supply." Wouldn't most people believe Supergirl? And wouldn't that be the end of Morgan? Or would everyone in National City be like "Listen, Supergirl, we don't mind you saving our asses on a daily basis but keep your opinions to yourself?" I just don't get how he so easily gets away with this. They know it's him, they can certainly lay out the connecting dots, and it's enough to severely damage his reputation if nothing else. Hell, Fox News does it all the time.

Speaking of which . . . there was another political name drop when everyone was chanting "Lock her up" to Lena. The show needs to knock that off.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Which begs the question: Why can't Supergirl simply go on TV and go "Hey everybody, guess what? Morgan Edge poisoned those kids in order to frame Lena. Then he tried to poison the entire city's water supply." Wouldn't most people believe Supergirl? And wouldn't that be the end of Morgan?

A lot of people WOULD probably believe Supergirl. But the problem here is proof. WE the audience know for an indisputable fact that Edge is responsible. Kara and Lena think he is responsible but have no legal way to prove it, yet. So to the general pubic, not to mention the authorities, Supergirl going on TV and blaming Edge is no different than Edge going on TV and blaming Lena.

• Love 1

It's a time-honored tradition of Lex Luthor, Max Lord or whoever being like "If I did this, maybe X. But you have no proof." But the problem here is that it seems like proof would be fairly easy to obtain. If you happen to have super-hearing, X-ray vision and access to someone who can hack alien computer systems AND a literal mind-reader, pretty damn easy. And if you happen to not particularly care about the rule of law when you've got your secret prison for aliens and other people who just happen to piss you off, it makes it even more ridiculous that you would let Morgan sneer his way through the ridiculous "Oh, it was rando minion who just happened to have a cargo plane who did this vendetta against Lena."

At the very least, Morgan would have a multimillion dollar slander suit on his hands.

• Love 2

I wasn't really invested in Alex/Maggie or Lena so not the most interesting episode for me

Morgan Edge is a James Bond villain, he couldn't kill Lena while she was knocked out no he has to drop her from a plane filled with chemicals for reasons (chemicals that he just let laying around so they can be found by anybody)

When Winn said that he had helped with the lead disperser I thought that he would feel guilty but Jeremy Jordan isn't allowed to have something to do this season. David Harewood got his special episode for his part so now he's back to one scene per episode.

When it was announced that James will have a love interest I was hesitating between Lena and Sam now I have my answer

I think they did well with the sanvers breakup, they understood each other position and nobody came out as the bad guy, my only problem is that it feels that they were overdoing it with Alex acting like being a mother is the most important thing in the world for her and something she always felt all of her life. I don't know if it's intentional but I found it funny how much this story was paralleling Alex coming out story with her insisting that it was always there including a story about feeling different from the others when she was a child.

• Love 3

I've decided to stop worrying and love the bomb when it comes to political references on this show. They're going to do it, I might as well turn it into a game and hope they go as broad and anvilly as possible. This makes it a lot easier to swallow. Laughed my ass off at how they managed to work in "Lock her up."

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Miss Dee said:

I've decided to stop worrying and love the bomb when it comes to political references on this show. They're going to do it, I might as well turn it into a game and hope they go as broad and anvilly as possible. This makes it a lot easier to swallow. Laughed my ass off at how they managed to work in "Lock her up."

I know, right?

We were saying "Hilary's in town?"

• Love 2
6 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Hey, someone has to get all the screentime that was soaked up by Mon-El (that's not a criticism, but he was undeniably a key player in many episodes last season).  J'onn had his spotlight so David Harewood is clearly resting, Winn is just magical tech support, and James needs time to maintain his physique.  However, this instant friendship does match last season when Lena and Kara went from strangers to BFFs in about 5 minutes. 

For whatever it's worth, the main characters not having ANY friends outside of the regular cast is a pretty standard thing across all of the DC CW shows.

Was J'onn even actually in the episode at all? There was a phone call to J'onn at the end where we heard Kara saying she and Alex were going to take some time off, but that was just one-sided.