Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Girl of Steel

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

One thing that jumped out at me: that building they showed as Morgan Edge's office is actually the John Hancock Tower (aka 200 Clarendon) in Boston, the tallest building in New England. They usually use the Boston skyline as an establishing shot for Star City on Earth-1, so I was surprised they didn't get an LA skyscraper shot for this.

• Love 3

Here's my issue with Kara going dark, however briefly. DC has enough DARK heroes. Supes and by extension, Kara, and yes, even Barry/Wally/Bart, are supposed to be lighter, more hopeful, optimistic heroes. I'm sick and tired of making every.damn.DCHERO Batman lite. Kara can still be a fucking badass without going dark/gritty/grim.

Holy shit! You weren't kidding @quarks! What'd they do? Go back and do a Google search for "When was Lois on Smallville a zombie" and decide to make Alura one as well, here?

The fight between  the sisters was intense, Alex could have more delicate with her approach so she kind  of deserved what she got in return and seriously it was time for somebody to address Alex's problem with alcoholism

I wouldn't call Alex an alcoholic but she has repeatedly been shown to have concerning drinking habits and if they are going to continue with that they should fully address it at some point.

12 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

I wouldn't call Alex an alcoholic but she has repeatedly been shown to have concerning drinking habits and if they are going to continue with that they should fully address it at some point.

I was mostly kidding by calling an alcoholic though she has a bad tendency to go for a drink when she has a problem

5 hours ago, BooBear said:

I noticed that too. It was a good change. I overall was a little peeved with how everyone was reacting to Kara. If Kara wants to grow up and spend more time as Supergirl... I am all for it. James was 100% out of line by calling her emergency line. I never liked the idea of Kara being an investigative reporter. That is not her. That is Clark. It would have been a good thing if she realized that and was happy with her decision.  However, I was glad to have "James" back as an adult and not guardian. I hope they drop that character as James may see he is more useful at an editor. 

I think the issue with why Kara was choosing to be Supergirl, which is what her friends were trying to talk about with her. Kara seems to have pushed everyone away, but also pushed Kara Danvers away. She's been snippy at people and, like Alex said, throwing herself a pity party. I missed the first ten minutes, so I'm not sure how many months had passed (I read it's been about six?) so it's less about Kara growing up and more about why Kara was acting the way that she was. 

Now, I agree that James calling her emergency line was out of line, but he even stated that Kara was more often than not out as Supergirl, stopping robberies, so maybe he didn't know when he'd get the chance to really talk to her. I don't think he knew she was out on a mission right that second, either. It seemed like she tended to search for crimes on her own and then go out to stop them. 

Not that I like Kara as a reporter. Last season, it was heavily shoehorned in and I can name about ten different career paths that would have been more creative than a reporter. I would have been thrilled if she stuck by her decision to quit Catco. But Kara was threatening on quitting not just as a reporter, but as Kara Danvers. When she's willing to give up her humanity and be a full out alien, that is probably the time to step in and deal with the problem. Because they were trying to imply that she didn't want to be Kara anymore because she had to make the hard decisions that not even Clark could make....but really, it was because she lost her boyfriend and she was sad about it. Unfortunately, that was the way it came across (supported by Mon-El being the final breakthrough for Kara, despite having mature conversations with Alex, James, and J'onn beforehand). The way they presented Kara's issues this episode was stemmed from Mon-El. If anything, they needed to write this episode better to present the issue as a bigger one not just about her lost boyfriend.

I don't mind Kara getting to change and harden herself a little bit. What I mind is the reason why she's doing it, and why Mon-El is being presented as the most important person in Kara's life. In my opinion, that spot should only be filled by Alex, but she was treating her sister like shit.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

What relationship?  While they did spend all of season 1 pining for each other they ended up with one (?) aborted date before deciding to call the whole thing off.  A relationship can't end if it never gets started in the first place.

I think it was more about how they were building up toward a romantic relationship all throughout season 1 before the change in networks. All of season 1 had both of them interested in each other. Last season's premiere made that all but erased. But still, they had some sort of relationship and now they seem to be pretending like neither were interested in each other in the first place.

But I do get what you're saying. They technically never had a romantic relationship in the official sense.

• Love 2

Damn I guess I'm not gonna get what I wanted.. Which was James being angry about the way kara ditched him to "find herself" or some such bs and immediately fall in luuuurrrrvvveee with Mon El.. If not angry at least a proper talk about maybe his feelings on the issue.. But nope we just breezed thru like a year and change and I guess everyone has moved on... I do hope we get a James.. Lena pairing.. If only because I'm sure Kara would have something to say about it and then maybe I get what I want

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Because they were trying to imply that she didn't want to be Kara anymore because she had to make the hard decisions that not even Clark could make....but really, it was because she lost her boyfriend and she was sad about it. Unfortunately, that was the way it came across (supported by Mon-El being the final breakthrough for Kara, despite having mature conversations with Alex, James, and J'onn beforehand). The way they presented Kara's issues this episode was stemmed from Mon-El. If anything, they needed to write this episode better to present the issue as a bigger one not just about her lost boyfriend.

I think that's exactly what they did.  I posted above that to me her behavior isn't just because she lost Mon-El but because she feels guilty about how she handled the invasion.  Someone else said she has severe abandonment issues, so it's not inconceivable that her personality change was caused by yet another person she loves having to leave her (Jeremiah, her parents...not just Mon-El). 

But besides that, so what if it's because of Mon-El?  The writers have established that Kara and Mon-El love each other, whether people like them together or not.  It apparently has been just a few months since he had to leave the planet.  I'm reading comments like 'get over it' and 'she lost her boyfriend and she's sad about it'.  Sad?  How about devastated?  How about she can't see life without him?  IMO the writers did an excellent job showing her grief.  Her attack on her sister was spot on...every sentence.  Likewise, Alex and all Kara's friends thinking they could 'snap her out of it' by trying to get her to go out with them, do the same things like they used to do, going to familiar public places and then being frustrated and calling it a pity party is exactly what loved ones do and say in real life.  She doesn't want to be Kara Danvers anymore because then she has to deal with people.  As Supergirl, she rushes in, does her job, flies away and doesn't have to think about anything.  She's on auto-pilot right now.  I can unfortunately relate to what she's going through as I'm sure many of you can, and I have to again congratulate the writers on how well it was written.  We may not like sad Kara, but her reactions are classic grief.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, JoyGirl said:

But besides that, so what if it's because of Mon-El?  The writers have established that Kara and Mon-El love each other, whether people like them together or not.  It apparently has been just a few months since he had to leave the planet.  I'm reading comments like 'get over it' and 'she lost her boyfriend and she's sad about it'.  Sad?  How about devastated?  How about she can't see life without him?  IMO the writers did an excellent job showing her grief.  Her attack on her sister was spot on...every sentence.  Likewise, Alex and all Kara's friends thinking they could 'snap her out of it' by trying to get her to go out with them, do the same things like they used to do, going to familiar public places and then being frustrated and calling it a pity party is exactly what loved ones do and say in real life.  She doesn't want to be Kara Danvers anymore because then she has to deal with people.  As Supergirl, she rushes in, does her job, flies away and doesn't have to think about anything.  She's on auto-pilot right now.  I can unfortunately relate to what she's going through as I'm sure many of you can, and I have to again congratulate the writers on how well it was written.  We may not like sad Kara, but her reactions are classic grief.  

Sure, the grief aspect was written pretty well, for the most part. I just think that it's not as interesting for me to watch, as someone who disliked how much attention Mon-El got last season with Kara. The one thing that they needed to do last season for me to enjoy this premiere is have Kara spend more time with Alex, Winn, J'onn, and James. They 100% neglected Kara's other relationships last season for Mon-El. They went in too much with Mon-El. They really needed to dial it back about ten notches last season. If they hadn't have neglected Kara's other relationships, my problem with Mon-El would be non-existent. I actually did like Mon-El as a character. Individually, if I analyze him as a character and not Kara's boyfriend, he had a whole lot of potential. But because they went all in on the romance and left little time for the other, non-romantic relationships that they did balance a bit better in season 1, it has warped my view on Kara/Mon-El. I can readily admit that I am biased in my dislike for Mon-El but because of the choices the showrunners, or network execs, made. 

So, basically, I simply don't give two shits about Kara's months long grief over a guy who's lost in space. I understand why she's acting the way that she is, but I also applaud her friends for jumping in. She's been in grief/pity party mode for several months. She was never going to snap out of it unless someone finally spoke up and changed the narrative. And once Kara went into self destruct mode, that's when her friends and Alex jumped in. 

Just let Kara get back to caring about her friends and family again. If they can find a way to balance Kara's relationships like they did in season 1, then Mon-El's inevitable return will sit better with me. I remember last season, there was that episode where Kara was actually hanging out with James/Winn and she wasn't just cuddled up with Mon-El the entire episode. They showed that they can balance that out and have Kara not treat Mon-El like the most important, or only, person in her life. They just need to write those scenes better, which is why it was important that Alex, Winn, James, and J'onn be the ones to snap Kara out of her funk, and not the haunting voice of Mon-El. They needed to get that ensemble feel back, and they did fail on that mark.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I can readily admit that I am biased in my dislike for Mon-El but because of the choices the showrunners, or network execs, made. 

And I can admit that I totally agree with you that they rushed the relationship way too fast.  My belief is the writers were told here's a new love interest for Kara and by the end of the season, they have to already be together so we can pull them apart.  So do whatever you have to in between to make it work.  If not for the chemistry I see between the actors, it would have been a total fail.  I have always felt gypped that we never got to really see how Mon-El felt about his planet getting destroyed because of Krypton.  He just merrily took it in stride to the point he actually fought his own countrymen at the end of the season.  I mean...at least let him say 'ya know, I'll be behind the scenes helping all I can but I won't lift a finger against any Daxamite.'   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Not that I like Kara as a reporter. Last season, it was heavily shoehorned in and I can name about ten different career paths that would have been more creative than a reporter. I would have been thrilled if she stuck by her decision to quit Catco. But Kara was threatening on quitting not just as a reporter, but as Kara Danvers. When she's willing to give up her humanity and be a full out alien, that is probably the time to step in and deal with the problem. Because they were trying to imply that she didn't want to be Kara anymore because she had to make the hard decisions that not even Clark could make....but really, it was because she lost her boyfriend and she was sad about it. Unfortunately, that was the way it came across (supported by Mon-El being the final breakthrough for Kara, despite having mature conversations with Alex, James, and J'onn beforehand). The way they presented Kara's issues this episode was stemmed from Mon-El. If anything, they needed to write this episode better to present the issue as a bigger one not just about her lost boyfriend.

Her logic is also completely flawed.  Apparently NO human is capable of putting the needs of the many above their own personal happiness whereas Kryptonians who aren't raised by humans are either selfless martyrs or ice cold Vulcans?  Someone really needed to correct her on that point.

Speaking of someone who could do that, if you KNOW a potentially devastating attack is coming at a specific time then you call in your superpowered cousin for help.  That's true regardless of whether or not it's happening in National City or Metropolis. 

• Love 2

Regardless of how some might feel, Kara - just like Oliver or Barry -  is going to have a romantic OTP. Even if Alex and Kara are the center of the show, Kara will still have a romantic partner that has that special connection with her so it makes sense that Mon-El woke her up. But I also say this as someone who likes Mon-El and Mon-El & Kara together.  We'll still get moments like the Alex/Kara scene in 2x15 but Mon-El will also get similar moments with her. It is what it is. 

And like others have said and was implied in her conversation with Alex, she'd mad because she doesn't know where he is (I think she'd be acting differently if he was safely in Star Labs) and the guilt from being unable to stop his banishment from Earth. 

Anyway, I enjoyed the premiere. The Bloodsport stuff was boring but it at least got us some good action scenes. 

I'm interested in seeing how this James and Lena thing happens. I think Kara will cheer them on so I don't think it will lead to any closure for Kara/James fans who want their badly written ending addressed. 

Winn is fully a background character now and I hope he gets his own arc this season.  There's been nothing in interviews, though. 

I think we'll see far more CEO James than Guardian James as they are clearly going to incorporate CatCo more into the show this season. I think that'll be good for him instead of being relegated to random Guardian missions. 

• Love 2

It was nice to see Alex and J'onn acknowledge how close they've grown, even if I could see that plot resolution from a mile away, but it seems odd that she was so fixated on being walked down the aisle by a male figure n the first place. Father's still available, being walked by your father is the tradition, okay, fine, I get that. But isn't the mother still alive and well? That seems like a logical next step. Especially on such a feminist show.

I was bothered by the idea that Kryptonians have enough air in space but not underwater, until I remembered that, as long as you're on the illuminated side of the earth, space has a lot of yellow sunlight.  Under the ocean? Not so much.

• Love 1

Good god what a bunch of emo drek the first 40 minutes of this episode was, it was torture to get through.  And I guess Cat Grant has been relegated as a character to being the mouthpiece of these writers' sophomoric political agenda (although it was unintentionally hilarious when she cited global warming as the world's greatest threat when just recently aliens tried to enslave the entire human race).  They've done that a lot with her in the past, now it seems to be full-time.  Hopefully this season gets on track next week after stumbling out of the gate.

Edited by Dobian

Let me just state again that I don't dislike Mon-El (I have a visceral hatred for certain TV characters but they aren't in this show). I do however, find him a waste of time and because I got so much of him last season and will get a whole lot of him again when he inevitably shows up in a few episodes, anything that relates to him immediately makes my eye twitch. He could be Kara's forever OTP but to act like her sister, the one person who's been with her through thick and thin, suddenly isn't worth more than a dude who showed up a year ago? Kara is an alien, not a child, and by relegating everyone else in her life for her boyfriend, the writers made her seem like every other teenager on every paint-by-numbers CW show (and I hate those!). Those of you who like the guy will undoubtedly disagree with me and I'm fine with that. I'm just not here to see another season of the Kara/Mon-El show because I signed up for the Kara Danvers show first and foremost.

/rant.

As for this episode, the Alex/Maggie marriage is going way too fast; the lady at the end must be the big bad for this season due to the focus on her and her kid (I think it's her kid) and...are they setting up James/Lena? I could get on board with that if they do it right.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 3

This show is still flawed, but I`m glad to have it back. Angry Kara was fun for an episode, and I found her sadness and anger to be understandable, but I hope we go back to cheerful Kara now. We can maybe have her be a bit more mature or less perky after this I would be happy with that, but the thing I like about Kara is that shes a perky happy person who loves being a hero, and does it because she thinks its right, not because she has a redemption arc or wants to avenge someones death or avenge anyone's death or anything. I liked Mon-El alright, and he and Kara worked sometimes, but here being this heartbroken about a guy who she really hadn't even been dating for very long is kind of meh. I cant say I was that invested before, and I still am not. Also, kind of dick move to say that  to say that no one else lost Mon El. Weren't he and Winn pretty good friends? It was one of Mon Els more endearing relationships. 

Speaking of, I like Maggie and Alex, but they are moving WAY too fast. They haven't even been dating for a year, and they're already getting married? Slow down a little bit, have a few more date nights! I did love Alex asking John to walk her down the aisle. They both kept trying not to get emotional, it was touching and pretty hilarious. 

I hope Winn gets more to do this season, maybe dealing with his family issues or something. Beyond having an alien girlfriend. By the way, was it me, or did Winn look super nice this week? I do enjoy seeing him being competent, and his hair game was on point. 

Cat as press secretary is a really good idea! You still get Calista, but working with her schedule. Plus, they can get all their political rants out in one go instead of having them pop up in the middle of the story!

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

This show is still flawed, but I`m glad to have it back. Angry Kara was fun for an episode, and I found her sadness and anger to be understandable, but I hope we go back to cheerful Kara now. We can maybe have her be a bit more mature or less perky after this I would be happy with that, but the thing I like about Kara is that shes a perky happy person who loves being a hero, and does it because she thinks its right, not because she has a redemption arc or wants to avenge someones death or avenge anyone's death or anything. I liked Mon-El alright, and he and Kara worked sometimes, but here being this heartbroken about a guy who she really hadn't even been dating for very long is kind of meh. I cant say I was that invested before, and I still am not. Also, kind of dick move to say that  to say that no one else lost Mon El. Weren't he and Winn pretty good friends? It was one of Mon Els more endearing relationships.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I just wanted to add that Kara's heartbreak is even more understandable when you consider the fact she doesn't even know for sure if he's alive. I mean, he was the last she saw him, but he had also taken in a lot of lead, and Kara has no way of knowing if Mon El ended up succumbing or not. For all she knows his ship is floating out there with his lifeless body in it.

Speaking of, I like Maggie and Alex, but they are moving WAY too fast. They haven't even been dating for a year, and they're already getting married? Slow down a little bit, have a few more date nights! I did love Alex asking John to walk her down the aisle. They both kept trying not to get emotional, it was touching and pretty hilarious. 

I'm pretty sure that (the moving way too fast) is kind of the point. It's being set up to implode, whether ending the relationship for good or just putting the brakes on it, possibly to explain Maggie not being in many episodes.

I hope Winn gets more to do this season, maybe dealing with his family issues or something. Beyond having an alien girlfriend. By the way, was it me, or did Winn look super nice this week? I do enjoy seeing him being competent, and his hair game was on point.

The first season seemed to be setting Winn up to be more than JUST an IT guy. Especially when he moved from CatCo to the DEO and...well, just basically got to be an IT guy with fancier computers. The actor is fun to watch, I too hope he gets more to do.

Edited by KirkB
Spellling
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, KirkB said:

Speaking of James, if they're going to keep focus on him at CatCo and not as Guardian (which to me was a bizarre way of trying to make him relevant) then I can get behind it. Going from photographer to head of a major media conglomerate may not have made a lot of sense last season, but putting on a mask and trying to fight crime in a city with human looking alien criminals who can throw cars is not smart either.

He was the Art Director for CatCo, which is fairly high up on the masthead. /pet peeve

2 hours ago, Xander said:

Winn is fully a background character now and I hope he gets his own arc this season.  There's been nothing in interviews, though.

He was already 'demoted' to tech support last season (although he did get a couple of arcs outside of the DEO), and judging from the premiere, I'm not optimistic about him doing much more than that this year.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Cranberry said:

There's no set rule! In the lesbian wedding I attended, each women walked down the aisle with her parents. I thought that was a nice way to do it.

I went to one this summer and the outdoor facility had a curved staircase on either side of the rostrum, they each walked down their staircase and met in front of the minister.

• Love 1

But I do get what you're saying. They technically never had a romantic relationship in the official sense.

I do think that James was important to Kara and I do really disapprove when anybody (including the show itself) tries to act like Kara wasn't in love with James. But the whole point was that Kara undoubtedly did a lot of things with Mon-El that she never did with James and I think it stands to reason nobody else. Because it was an actual "living together" style relationship with sex, exchanging I love you, eating breakfast. It's beyond likely that that was Kara's first relationship like this. And in that sense I think it is understandable that it hits her hard just on principle. Because most people make those kind of experiences when they are younger, but apparently Kara didn't because of circumstances. So I don't expect her to be wise and world weary and cool about it. 

James and Kara definitely had a storyline together within the context of the show. And they even had a relationship I would argue of learning to understand each other and get close to each other and sharing personal things. But it just never went into the direction of a conventional girlfriend/boyfriend relationship on the show. 

I just think that it's not as interesting for me to watch, as someone who disliked how much attention Mon-El got last season with Kara. 

It is still something that happened for the characters in universe. It's still real to them and they are reacting to it. If I were to let's say not like the relationship between Kara and J'onn doesn't mean that it would be out of character for Kara to care for J'onn and grieve his death. I didn't appreciate the shift in Kara/James either and that "only" went from "I like you as a friend and want you romantically" to "actually I changed my mind about the romantically part" and not from "I say I love you" to "actually I don't care about you at all".  

Just let Kara get back to caring about her friends and family again. 

She clearly still cares. She was touched at Lena's speech. She confided in J'onn. She is trying to put on a brave front for Alex. She wouldn't do that if she didn't care for Alex. 

Apparently NO human is capable of putting the needs of the many above their own personal happiness whereas Kryptonians who aren't raised by humans are either selfless martyrs or ice cold Vulcans?  Someone really needed to correct her on that point.

The portrayal of Kryptonians has never made too much sense to me, but yes, the underlying implication is that Kryptonians were more wise and logical. And yes so far all Kryptonians we have met so far seemed to be completely normal in their interactions (including Kara's very affectionate parents) other than having Superpowers on earth. None of them acted cold to each other. Still, Kara seems to think that that is the message of her people, but she was young when she left so it makes some sense that she simplifies it for herself. And I do hope we actually do explore what exactly she means anyway when she's saying she's trying to be more alien or more Kryptonian. 

Kara seems to interpret being an alien to mean that there is always going to be a wall between her and humans in some way (obviously everybody around her disagrees) and Kryptonian often are portrayed in the comics as pretty xenophobic dicks in regards to other species. 

I think we'll see far more CEO James than Guardian James as they are clearly going to incorporate CatCo more into the show this season. I think that'll be good for him instead of being relegated to random Guardian missions. 

I know, I'm alone in not having hated the Guardian arc for James, I thought his reasons for doing it felt really legit. But since James did mention in the premiere the being guardian meant something to him, I hope they bring some sort of closure to it. Like James having his a-ha moment of just much more powerful he is as a head of media or getting an injury that means he can't do Guardian anymore. 

I agree with pretty much all of this. I just wanted to add that Kara's heartbreak is even more understandable when you consider the fact she doesn't even know for sure if he's alive. I mean, he was the last she saw him, but he had also taken in a lot of lead, and Kara has no way of knowing if Mon El ended up succumbing or not. For all she knows his ship is floating out there with his lifeless body in it.

To our knowledge Kara has been haunted with dreams of Mon-El ever since he disappeared. Since the dreams show an alien planet and Reign seems to dream a version of those dreams too, they might be more concretely caused by something rather than just Kara's grief. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 1

I liked the idea of Kara and James through about the halfway point of Season 1.  But mainly from Kara's point of view.  Kara's flibbertigibbet ways when she was around him were sweet....sophomoric for a woman her age but sweet.  At times it looked like James was coming around and might have some feelings for her, but then he'd go back to Lucy.  He did this so often I lost interest in them altogether.   But CW writers didn't take an extra second to end it when they took over the show, and now you have this question mark forever about them.

But from my take on it if I had to assess if they were on track for a real relationship, I'd have to say no, because at that point it was more of a schoolgirl crush for Kara, and James seemed aware of her feelings and just bemused by them.

Awwww J'onn and Alex were adorable.

I'm annoyed that Winn seems kind of callous and not even remotely sad that he lost his friend. 

Hehe loved Mon El yelling at Kara to wake up. He looked so peeved! I thought it was very fitting since I'd had enough of the moping. I can understand why she moped, gawd knows Barry and Oliver carry on so but I liked the way they had him tell her to wake up so crossly and she did wake up after that. 

I'm seeing James/Lena!!!! They'd make a beautiful couple. 

Reign's acting was pretty bad when she screamed for help while her daughter was trapped. That was..... bad. The actress was great in The Astronauts Wives Club.

On 10/9/2017 at 7:00 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Cloaking a submarine was such a waste of time -- it's already underwater so it's already hard to see

That stuck with me too.  Seems like a total waste of the cloaking tech.

In last season's finale, didn't the pod take off from some other part of Krypton? So whoever this new character is, she's from Krypton too, right? Are there other races on Krypton besides Kryptonians? (Is this based on anything in the comic books?)

I guess I don't understand how someone from Krypton who was sent here as a baby - just like Superman - is just now discovering she has super strength. Both Clark and Kara had super strength the moment they got to earth. 

• Love 1
On 10/9/2017 at 9:45 PM, TV Anonymous said:
  1. Out of curiosity: in a lesbian wedding, who gets to be walked down the aisle and who gets to wait by the altar?

It depends, I can tell you that at my own big gay wedding we were each walked down the aisle by our families. 

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

In last season's finale, didn't the pod take off from some other part of Krypton? So whoever this new character is, she's from Krypton too, right? Are there other races on Krypton besides Kryptonians? (Is this based on anything in the comic books?)

I guess I don't understand how someone from Krypton who was sent here as a baby - just like Superman - is just now discovering she has super strength. Both Clark and Kara had super strength the moment they got to earth. 

I was actually wondering the same thing. Kara arrived on Earth as a teenager with full knowledge she was going to have powers so she had a bit of an edge, even if learning to use them must have come with a learning curve. Clark was a baby when he arrived so you could maybe say his powers didn't kick in until whatever counts as puberty for Kryptonians but it seems like that would also apply for this new woman. Hopefully we'll see.

16 hours ago, iMonrey said:

We know that Kryptonians interacted with people from other races from the existence of Fort Rozz and the Kryptonian-Daxamite relationship. So New Girl isn't genetically Kryptonian. 

If you want to know more about her, I'll put a couple links under spoiler tags:

On 10/9/2017 at 7:54 PM, Artsda said:

I enjoyed it and the new  cast additions. 

Liked Kara being a bit darker.

Kara wasn't darker. She was mopey, childish and self absorbed. This whole show was about FEELINGS. Because, you know, that's what being a super hero is about. 

Yeah, and Lena's accent was all over the place. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 3

Watched season opener.

Lack luster. 

It comes across as everyone involved just marking time.

Always hopeful a surprise turn around will reboot the abandoned season 1 format or come up with fresh ideas that blow us away.

But if the lack of enthusiasm off screen as well as on is any indication, I sincerely doubt it. :(

17 hours ago, johnar said:

Watched season opener.

Lack luster. 

It comes across as everyone involved just marking time.

Always hopeful a surprise turn around will reboot the abandoned season 1 format or come up with fresh ideas that blow us away.

But if the lack of enthusiasm off screen as well as on is any indication, I sincerely doubt it. :(

You keep referring to "the abandoned season 1 format."  Refresh my memory as to exactly what that is, please.

9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

You keep referring to "the abandoned season 1 format."  Refresh my memory as to exactly what that is, please.

Alrighty.

The focus on the title role.

The focus on the family of friends who support Supergirl.

Regard for younger audience members.

Not casting the role of Superman.

This is her story.

How's that for starters?

• Love 1
On 10/9/2017 at 8:25 PM, Trini said:

I'm interested in the arcs they set up here, although, Lena being James' boss kinda squishes some of my James/Lena dreams. ?

If you think Lena being James' boss will prevent them from hooking up, you haven't been watching enough CW shows.  ;)

(I'm pretty sure the two of them tossing sidelong glances towards one another during the meeting with Edge wasn't just a coincidence, sadly, as much as I'd prefer Lena not hook up with James. It makes it that much harder to write off a useless character- Olson- and Lena and Kara have much more chemistry.)

Chyler Leigh and David Harewood are once again the Super MVPs of this show, and I renew my calls for a J'onn J'onnz/Alex Danvers spinoff. Call it Manhunters, and have them operating as freelance DEO agents or something. 

• Love 1
On 10/10/2017 at 0:31 AM, bmoore4026 said:

Agreed.  He isn't the Riley from Buffy some viewers make him out to be

No he just ate the show and the writers made him more important to Kara who's only known him like 6 months over her sister and her friends 

• Love 3
On 10/10/2017 at 1:19 PM, cambridgeguy said:

Speaking of someone who could do that, if you KNOW a potentially devastating attack is coming at a specific time then you call in your superpowered cousin for help.  That's true regardless of whether or not it's happening in National City or Metropolis. 

Superman said that he wouldn't have been able to make the same decision; ie, sacrifice Lois.

Didn't Lena kill her ex-boyfriend to save everyone?  Unfortunately, they can't bond over this, since in Lena's view, Supergirl sent away Kara's boyfriend.

On 10/10/2017 at 0:45 PM, TV Anonymous said:
  1. Supergirl can't breathe underwater? Has Alex read any Superman / Supergirl comics? They do not breathe underwater. Besides, Supergirl has been to outer space several times.

This episode, with all its usual clumsy writing and characterisation-by-exposition ,was vaguely enjoyable until "She can't breathe underwater!" I mean, she can survive an f'ing vacuum. So dumb.

9 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

This episode, with all its usual clumsy writing and characterisation-by-exposition ,was vaguely enjoyable until "She can't breathe underwater!" I mean, she can survive an f'ing vacuum. So dumb.

In the comics, yeah. In this incarnation, apparently not. In the first season, I remember one villain (Toyman?) who was trying to bury her in something while cackling "Even Supergirl needs to breathe," while in the season finale, she nearly died while pushing Fort Rozz into space. (Either they didn't bother to remember any of this in the Mars episode, or we were supposed to assume the Martians' caverns were pressurized with an oxygen atmosphere, or we're supposed to believe that Supergirl's Mars doesn't have the ultra-thin carbon dioxide atmosphere that ours does.)