Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

33 minutes ago, sconstant said:

3a) Switch Azan and Josh.  Not that Azan needs to hang with Aika, but I want Josh out of the country, and Azan has put in his time, shouldn't he get to see the US?  

3b) Aika and Azan can roadtrip back to LA (where all the airports are).  Either Annie or Aika can maybe marry Brother Nikki.  If it's Aika, she becomes legal to work and can get a job if she wants good jewelry.  Brother N and Nikki Herself can have some discussions with Azan so he can work a few things out about his life, because that guy needs a bit of working through things.  He is good with diapers and can offer some unpaid help in that house which is not as distasteful to think about as the previously proposed plan.

Unless I miss my guess, neither Azan or Brother Nikki would be down for marrying a woman. But I still support either pairing. Azan/Antonio and Aika can go shoe shopping, go to Starbucks, have dinner, and kiss each other goodnight (on the cheek only). Could be worse.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Nowhere said:

What do women do at bachelorette parties that they are so thankful for? New dick? What the hell are they talking about? 

"....trust me, you'll be glad you let us take you on this trip in a  few years. Trust me...."

I don't even know what that means. And I'm over 50.

16 hours ago, zoemom said:

Even more frightening is that they both own guns.  However, it looks like Aika's no slouch at the target range.  The more I see of Aika, the more like her.  If she's smart, she really just needs to leave Dumb and Dumber at the target range to fend for themselves.

I know, right? I was thinking, "Are you sure you want to hold this little get together at a shooting range...with live ammo???"

• Love 3
16 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Evelyn is so very 18. Can't entirely blame her for not being fully mature, but damn does she grate. I'm closer to David's age, and no way would I ever get with an 18 year old for the selfishness and tunnel vision alone. I also simply cannot imagine letting my spouse leave his country and refuse to give anything in return. I'd worry he'd be downright resentful at every single family event and milestone. I would at the very least consider moving to the nearest metropolis.

What bothers me most about her singing voice is her total lack of enunciation. I had no idea what she was saying. Ariana Grande may be able to get away with it, but not you, Evelyn. In the immortal words of Rihanna to Ciara: "Good luck booking that stage you speak of."

I was in Antonio's corner the entire time, until he went into the kitchen. He went totally off the deep end. David was totally out of line with his comment, but Antonio acted like he stabbed his sister right in front of him. No need to resort to threats of violence. And the person Antonio was trying to help - Annie - was clearly distraught and yelling at her to make better choices was not helping. It's true, but could have been said more kindly. What's his name - the friend hosting David - should have put his foot down a lot earlier than he did. His wife clearly dislikes having Annie and David (moreso the latter) in their home. David must know where every single one of the bodies are buried to justify all this generosity.

In the words of the immortal Bard....."methinks the lady doth protest too much...."

OK, I'll let myself out. :)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:
17 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Hey Nicole, where's your kid while you're out in the streets beating up on your boyfriend? 

Asking for a friend.

May was being tended to and entertained by Azan's female relatives, (mostly a little girl of around 10 who was painting her nails), much as I suspected she would be.

Yes, about this.  Why was she bitching at Azan that she is in a foreign country taking care of May "by herself."  First, she's not.  Second, if she was, so what?????  YOU ARE HER MOTHER.  It's hardly heroic taking care of your child.  

2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I can kind of forgive David for coming off as a douche because dealing with the Clampetts of New Hampshire has to be exhausting.

LOL

• Love 16
2 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Because once Azan is settled in the US, other family can come over. That’s why his family is “all in” with Nicole. 

Hassan made his bed. He should have cut the cray cray loose last year. But the 'Merica dollars are soooo tempting!

51 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

Molly is looking for a wife.

Word.  She has a successful business right? Hire a live in nanny and then get your kicks up a few times a year by going down to whatever resort and party it up then. Why bring this crap home and make life difficult? Stupid Molly.

• Love 13
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, Bridget said:

She needs to sing with Closed Captions because she cannot enunciate to save her life! I listened to 30 seconds and had no idea if the water was ruuuuuuunning or raaaaaaaaaaaining or roooooooooooaming. 

Performance Skills 101. 

Meaghan Trainor syndrome.  "Beacaw you no I all abow da bay, bow da bay, no trello......". 

I'm hella jealous of those who got to go to Juiliard or Berklee.  I didn't stand a chance at Juiliard so I didn't bother, but Berklee had a pilot program when I graduated high school that they wanted to talk to me about, but my mom flat-out vetoed Boston as a place to go to school.  I was crushed.

4 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

That was a very random guess, and mostly snark. But it seemed very odd for him to get so uncomfortable about it. My hubby was 23 and a virgin when we married. As we approached the wedding date, that's all he could talk about!

Secondly, the wedding night for a virgin male doesn't need to be talked about. It'll be over in 0.00000 seconds. 

Your experience is what I have seen.

• Love 1

After all of  David Spain's talk about the lack of diversity in New Hampshire, and the population decreasing in Claremont.   I did a little research on Spain,  Apparently, Spain is not very diverse, it has a reputation for racism against people of African descent and the population is dropping and is projected to decrease dramatically in the coming years.  

• Love 6
17 hours ago, PityFree said:

All of Evil-lyn’s gross apple chomping made me dry heave. 

I have serious issues listening to people eat apples.  It sets of a rage inside me.  A boss used to drive me crazy at lunch when we shared an office.  He came in one day and said his wife found a name for this issue.  It's called misophonia.

So as if I didn't already want to knock Evil-lyn's head clear out of Claremont, I wanted to stomp it after it reached Vermont, then kick it back to Claremont.  Bitch, shut up with the fucking apple.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

After all of  David Spain's talk about the lack of diversity in New Hampshire, and the population decreasing in Claremont.   I did a little research on Spain,  Apparently, Spain is not very diverse, it has a reputation for racism against people of African descent and the population is dropping and is projected to decrease dramatically in the coming years.  

Boom.  Mic drop.

2 minutes ago, ShaNaeNae said:

I have serious issues listening to people eat apples.  It sets of a rage inside me.  A boss used to drive me crazy at lunch when we shared an office.  He came in one day and said his wife found a name for this issue.  It's called misophonia.

So as if I didn't already want to knock Evil-lyn's head clear out of Claremont, I wanted to stomp it after it reached Vermont, then kick it back to Claremont.  Bitch, shut up with the fucking apple.

I suffer with misophonia....I feel your pain.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, LocalGovt said:

"....trust me, you'll be glad you let us take you on this trip in a  few years. Trust me...."

I know, right? I was thinking, "Are you sure you want to hold this little get together at a shooting range...with live ammo???"

I am a male in my early 50s and I have never been to strip club and have not spent even 0.00002 seconds regretting it, so far.

Maybe Joe and Aika can have a duel for Josh.  

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, ShaNaeNae said:

I looked up misophonia and it was interesting that the ages affected were mainly 40 and up.  Maybe as we age, we become more sensitive to certain sounds.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I'm hella jealous of those who got to go to Juiliard or Berklee

There was a 2004 NYT article following 1994 Juilliard grads. It was depressing in 95% of the cases. Money down the drain for an unusable education and unemployability. I’m only still afloat as I returned to school for another four years. You bettah off.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kangatush said:

I don't think David Pour is an alcoholic in the traditional sense.  I don't think he needs alcohol to function.  What he is (in my opinion) is a binge drinker.  When he does drink, his point is to get drunk.  This isn't healthy, but it's a bit different from straight alcoholism.  Going until the wedding without drinking is totally something he can do with little issue.  But then he can go back to his ways easy peasy.  He needs some sort of counselling.  For his sucky life in general, not just alcohol.  

That's not what alcoholism is.

Alcoholism is characterized by:

a prolonged period of frequent, heavy alcohol use.

the inability to control drinking once it has begun.

physical dependence manifested by withdrawal symptoms when the individual stops using alcohol.

tolerance, or the need to use more and more alcohol to achieve the same effects.

a variety of social and/or legal problems arising from alcohol use.

(And the most significant of these factors is the last one.)

If his fiancé is threatening to or hinting at leaving him bc of his drinking, and he is unable to stop to prevent that, then he's already meeting some of the criteria.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, LocalGovt said:

"you let us". Unusual choice of words. Not "you'll be glad you came along" or "you'll be glad we went". And yeah, why all the "last hurrah" nonsense? She's not heading to purdah. Sheesh.

1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

I looked up misophonia and it was interesting that the ages affected were mainly 40 and up.  Maybe you become more sensitive to sounds when you get older.  

Wow, that's interesting. A friend of my son's has had this since childhood.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kangatush said:

And I found it interesting that while Solomon and Mother Evelyn were fiercely defending Claremont, Father Evelyn was quiet.  I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he thinks it's up to the couple to work out such issues, without a hard press by the family.

The dad is the only one of them who was not born and raised in Claremont. He prbly doesn't give a rip about the place one way or another.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

That's not what alcoholism is.

In my experience, “alcoholism” is a useless and undefinable term, often used as a weapon to manipulate. Also as a medical term for a largely corrupt rehab industry in order to harvest insurance and family $$. David Pour’s life is clearly affected by his booze intake, and he’d be wise to fix it, isn’t that enough?

Edited by BeachyWave
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I looked up misophonia and it was interesting that the ages affected were mainly 40 and up.  Maybe as we age, we become more sensitive to certain sounds.  

Interesting.  I know I've had it since high school (as early as I remember because a friend and I were making a verbal list of sounds we hate), though I do remember as a kid watching a babysitter pour a coke in a glass and the gur-gur sound grossed me out.  I'm 44 now and it's gotten worse, I'll say that.  

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I'm thinking that the old farts we live with are eating more loudly.  (just kidding...sort of) but I've been bothered since my 20s.  

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ShaNaeNae said:

Interesting.  I know I've had it since high school (as early as I remember because a friend and I were making a verbal list of sounds we hate), though I do remember as a kid watching a babysitter pour a coke in a glass and the gur-gur sound grossed me out.  I'm 44 now and it's gotten worse, I'll say that.  

I HATE the sound of liquid being poured.  Those commercials that try to make it sound refreshing just set me on edge. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I’m not 100% sure that Josh loves Aika.

What did Molly do with Luis,  meet him on vacation, sleep with him, party with him and then decide, shit, I want to take him home and marry him?

Exactly like Melanie. There are a few minor differences , but essentially meeting on vacation and deciding this person needs to come home with you , who cares about the kids? ( and before anyone says anything, Melanie is very very fortunate that her son was so awesome about everything ). I’ll say it again- anyone with minor kids who brings a stranger in the house to live with you is crazy!!!!!

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

Yes, about this.  Why was she bitching at Azan that she is in a foreign country taking care of May "by herself."  First, she's not.  Second, if she was, so what?????  YOU ARE HER MOTHER.  It's hardly heroic taking care of your child.  

I am speechless about her saying that. What a horrible person she is. I can't say Mother because she isn't one.

I wonder if Nicole shoves her Mother like that to get her way?

24 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Can you imagine her eating Corn on the cob????

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

Exactly like Melanie. There are a few minor differences , but essentially meeting on vacation and deciding this person needs to come home with you , who cares about the kids? ( and before anyone says anything, Melanie is very very fortunate that her son was so awesome about everything ). I’ll say it again- anyone with minor kids who brings a stranger in the house to live with you is crazy!!!!!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Melanie went to Jamaica more times than Molly went to DR.  Also, Melanie's soon seemed to know who Devar was, as if he'd seen him before, maybe face time.  Molly's daughters acted like they'd never seen Luis before.  

But I agree with you that anybody who brings a stranger home to live with them and their minor child is cray cray.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, booboopbedoo said:

I am speechless about her saying that. What a horrible person she is. I can't say Mother because she isn't one.

I wonder if Nicole shoves her Mother like that to get her way?

Right?! And it's not like her parents didn't offer beg to have Mae stay with them while Nicole went traipsing off to Morocco. I wouldn't be surprised in least if Nicole has done similar to her mother or other family members. She seemed totally comfortable with her actions...not the least bit surprised or ashamed after she realized what she did.  And let's all remember how she body slammed Azan into the van during her last trip. Nicole seems like a classic abuser in my book...right down to the "You are making me act this. You bring this out in me." That is some scary mind game bullshit. 

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, BeachyWave said:

There was a 2004 NYT article following 1994 Juilliard grads. It was depressing in 95% of the cases. Money down the drain for an unusable education and unemployability. I’m only still afloat as I returned to school for another four years. You bettah off.

Possibly.  I took up computer science.  Graduated in 1994.  The computers we fixed in "Computer Repair" didn't have hard drives.  School didn't have internet (had intranet, but that's it).  So that's pretty useless too, lol.  I wanted to be a professional musician so badly, but I just wasn't good enough.  I have dyslexia and my sight reading sucks, and when you get above or below the staff, I have to slow down.  Complicated note runs and key signatures also get me.  : /

6 hours ago, lucy711 said:

When Evelyn and David Spain AND her brother were sitting up on the rocks, I kept thinking of the movie IT, like small town with the streak of horror. 

I guess I wasn't that far off the mark.

Or Our Town or Stepford Wives

• Love 1
12 hours ago, millennium said:

SO WHAT if the Mexican restaurant is owned by white people?   SO WHAT if Claremont isn't diverse?   It's not like there are armed guards posted at the town line turning people of color away.

The answer to so what is that this is CLEARLY an issue for him. He's from a metroplex that has something like half a million inhabitants, in an area that is not only racially, culturally, linguistically and religiously diverse - but that has BEEN that way for more than half a millennium.  And she can show him as many apple orchards and big rocks and scenic mountain valleys and giant pancakes as she wants, but  Claremont is never going to compare favorably with Granada. Thinking and expressing that isn't elitist - it's factual honesty. Evelyn and family Evelyn (especially the weird brother - what IS it with this show and the oddly attached younger brothers?) should be listening to him when he's saying this over and over and over again. And by the same token, David should be listening and believing Evelyn when she says she's not leaving perfect Claremont, which apparently has the best apples in the world and the only music producer ever in creation that can fully get her art. Or, you know, that can fully get her art and that she can afford to produce her music on the crappy equalizer hooked up to his PC in his spare bedroom.

• Love 20

Did you notice how filthy David Poor's tennis shoes were that he was putting on for his 'business meeting' with Chris? Gross! Way to make an impression on the 'clients' Penguin. 

WHY do people sit on the side of beds they don't own? Were they not raised by a southern mama like mine who swore that you were 'breaking the bed down' when you did such a thing? If she saw lard *ss David Poor on the side of Chris and Nikki's guest bed, she'd faint and I'd have to pull out the smelling salts LOL

Nicole's face in the photo with Azan looks just like a smiling stingray. I can't unsee it that way and now I will forever see Nicole on my visits to an aquarium. Ugh!

Evelynn could, as my southern daddy would say, clean an apple to the core through a picket fence. Those teeth of hers...damn! 

Edited by HahYallDoin
Typo
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, 7isBlue said:

100%! Elizabeth’s whole family are controlling a-holes. I like Andrei.

So last week, Chuck (Libby's father) said to Libby: so you are really willing to live in Moldova???

And Libby answers (sheepishly, diplomatically): I like Moldova.

This week, Andrei asks Libby if she wants to go to Vegas for her bachelorette party and Libby answers (sheepishly, diplomatically): I like Vegas.

Sorry but Libby is no rebel or independent woman. She is afraid to speak her own mind, to both her father and Andrei...and her sisters, even.

No, she does not want to live in Moldova! But how can she say that and offend Andrei? Yes, she would love to go to Vegas, but how can she say that and offend Andrei. So she just tip toes around everything w/ these weak, equivocal responses. So in a few months, Andrei will say, do you want to try for a baby? And she will say (sheepishly, diplomatically): I like babies. On and on. The guy can't ever get to know you if you keep just telling him what he wants to hear.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I was in Antonio's corner the entire time, until he went into the kitchen. He went totally off the deep end. David was totally out of line with his comment, but Antonio acted like he stabbed his sister right in front of him. No need to resort to threats of violence. And the person Antonio was trying to help - Annie - was clearly distraught and yelling at her to make better choices was not helping. It's true, but could have been said more kindly. What's his name - the friend hosting David - should have put his foot down a lot earlier than he did. His wife clearly dislikes having Annie and David (moreso the latter) in their home. David must know where every single one of the bodies are buried to justify all this generosity.

I don't get the feeling Nikki dislikes having Annie there. She treated her to a manicure, etc., told her she was welcome to stay but David Poor would have go if the drinking continued and was very supportive of Annie during Antonio's tirade. I think Nikki's fine w/ Annie being there temporarily but Nikki clearly dislikes David Poor.

Antonio was over the top but he was 110% trying to look out for Annie.

Chris "Production Told Me to Ask for a Massage" Thineman was NOT going to put his foot anywhere during that reality gold moment. He was hiding in the pantry, spoiling for a fistfight or at least some broken dishes.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

The answer to so what is that this is CLEARLY an issue for him. He's from a metroplex that has something like half a million inhabitants, in an area that is not only racially, culturally, linguistically and religiously diverse - but that has BEEN that way for more than half a millennium.  And she can show him as many apple orchards and big rocks and scenic mountain valleys and giant pancakes as she wants, but  Claremont is never going to compare favorably with Granada. Thinking and expressing that isn't elitist - it's factual honesty. Evelyn and family Evelyn (especially the weird brother - what IS it with this show and the oddly attached younger brothers?) should be listening to him when he's saying this over and over and over again. And by the same token, David should be listening and believing Evelyn when she says she's not leaving perfect Claremont, which apparently has the best apples in the world and the only music producer ever in creation that can fully get her art. Or, you know, that can fully get her art and that she can afford to produce her music on the crappy equalizer hooked up to his PC in his spare bedroom.

It would be factual honesty to express those things while they were planning their future. It would even be factual honesty to express the need for a place with a job. What makes him "elitist" or "a snob" or a grade A douchebag is his constant "Spain is better" comments. He slams absolutely everything because it isn't Spain. No mountain is nice. No apple tastes good. Food must suck because the chef is white. He knew where she lived. If he wants Spain, he should have stayed in Spain.

• Love 15
58 minutes ago, BeachyWave said:

In my experience, “alcoholism” is a useless and undefinable term, often used as a weapon to manipulate. Also as a medical term for a largely corrupt rehab industry in order to harvest insurance and family $$. David Pour’s life is clearly affected by his booze intake, and he’d be wise to fix it, isn’t that enough?

It's definitely definable (by the criteria I listed) and recognized by the mainstream medical community (DSMV). The criteria are important bc they show the person w/ alcoholism in exactly which ways the alcohol is affecting their life.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

But David is in New England.  I wouldn't go to Granada and whine about the lack of maple sugar candy or Down East accents.   To look down your nose at someone's home, while at the same time rhapsodizing about the virtues of where you live,  is indeed elitist.   And it's not the least bit loving.   He says he loves Evelyn and wants to marry her yet he never misses an opportunity to talk shit about her hometown.    Or ridicule her family.   He's manipulative, condescending and rude.

And sure, Evelyn's not as worldly, and her outlook is provincial, but IMHO that doesn't warrant ridicule of her way of life.    

• Love 18

Andrrrrei needs dry shampoo. Her sisters are way prettier than her. JS.

I was scared for Nikki’s baby when her brother and drunk David almost came to blows. No baby should have to listen to that. 

Josh is a baby he needs to understand that if he’s gonna vent about his frustrations to his friend, then his friend is going to judge. However, Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a total ASS and needs to mind his own. Josh is marrying a 36 yo that wants children. Taking each other’s desires into the pic  is a part of the deal when you get married. 

Nicole is lucky she is not in jail. Shoving and physical abuse it not ok. No double standard here. 

Evelyn has some weird oral fixation. Her lipstick, mouth, singing, eating, they way she talks. There is something very off about her. 

Edited by Alonzo Mosely FBI
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, millennium said:

But David is in New England.  I wouldn't go to Granada and whine about the lack of maple sugar candy or Down East accents.   To look down your nose at someone's home, while at the same time rhapsodizing about the virtues of where you live,  is indeed elitist.   And it's not the least bit loving.   He says he loves Evelyn and wants to marry her yet he never misses an opportunity to talk shit about her hometown.    Or ridicule her family.   He's manipulative, condescending and rude.

And sure, Evelyn's not as worldly, and her outlook is provincial, but IMHO that doesn't warrant ridicule of her way of life.    

Did David and Evelyn ever talk about where they were going to live after marriage?  It doesn't seem that they did.   I find that very strange, either producer manipulation, or David and Evelyn just aren't bright people.  If he said he wanted to live in a warmer climate and she said she liked where she lived, maybe they shouldn't get married. 

Or maybe they should wait until they've sorted out that very important detail.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

They stopped publishing the Green Book 50 years ago.  Things are very different in 2017 than they were in 1966 or 1926.  

There is a site that tracks possible sundown towns.  According to it, there were 13 towns (Claremont not among them) in NH that may have been sundown towns at some point, but only 1 (Lancaster) is listed as "probable".  Most of the others are listed as "probably not, but still very few blacks".  But most of those towns saw large increases in the black population from 1970 to 2000 (the latest Census info on the site).  For example, from 3 to 149 in one town, 0 to 66 in one, 34 to 305 in another and so on.  

https://sundown.tougaloo.edu/sundowntownsshow.php?state=NH

The non-white percentage of the population in NH tripled from 1990 to 2010, so it seems that a lot of people are getting the message that they are welcome.  

The Green Books ceased publication because of the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Sundown towns and discrimination continued in spite of this. A town doesn't have to be on a register of sundown towns to be/have been enforcing de facto segregation. Restrictive covenants, steering and white flight were a quiet way to maintain a racially homogenous community - without the direct threat of violence. Real estate listings on Facebook this year have been using a method of steering to target buyers.

White supremacists have marched repeatedly in Charlottesville and killed a woman this year. 2017, 1926 and 1966 really aren't all that different.

Plus, there's that attempted lynching in the predominantly white and small population town of Claremont that keeps getting swept under the rug.

What were the total populations of these towns that saw "massive" increases in black populations? Those numbers look small for an almost 50 year period. 6 million black people migrated throughout the US in a similar number of years during the Great Migration. 2010 census shows a 1.1% total black population in New Hampshire - 0.6% for Claremont. Bragging rights are not in order.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

He's from Granada. Between the university and the tourism, there is a constant stream of diversity moving through the place. That particular comparison is one of the few things I don't blame him for, because to go from that to a place that is 95+% homogeneous has to be a culture shock and uncomfortable. Heck, I'm an American living in the northeast and I'd probably feel more at ease living in Granada than Claremont, NH.

That being said, he is condescending in the way he's complaining. Maybe Evelyn said "There's no such thing as the Spanish Dream" one too many times. Or maybe he's just fed up with being steamrolled with all the wedding planning that he decided to unleash his inner petulant teen. Sniping over apples, really? They have been condescending assholes about their homelands to each other since the beginning and maybe, just maaaybe, they should have discussed stuff like location before getting engaged. 

• Love 18

What kind of business does Molly have? I'm trying to envision it.  It's hard.  

I do not care for Josh, but, the idea of the fiance whining, begging, insisting, pressuring someone to give you an item that you cannot afford is really bizarre to me.  If you don't have the money, you don't have the money.  I'm not sure what about that that is so hard to comprehend.  It's like she just didn't believe him.  If he lives with a couple of roommates, it's obvious that he is not financially secure. The insistence on a new diamond seemed distasteful.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, brillia79 said:
2 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

They stopped publishing the Green Book 50 years ago.  Things are very different in 2017 than they were in 1966 or 1926.  

There is a site that tracks possible sundown towns.  According to it, there were 13 towns (Claremont not among them) in NH that may have been sundown towns at some point, but only 1 (Lancaster) is listed as "probable".  Most of the others are listed as "probably not, but still very few blacks".  But most of those towns saw large increases in the black population from 1970 to 2000 (the latest Census info on the site).  For example, from 3 to 149 in one town, 0 to 66 in one, 34 to 305 in another and so on.  

https://sundown.tougaloo.edu/sundowntownsshow.php?state=NH

The non-white percentage of the population in NH tripled from 1990 to 2010, so it seems that a lot of people are getting the message that they are welcome.  

The Green Books ceased publication because of the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Sundown towns and discrimination continued in spite of this. A town doesn't have to be on a register of sundown towns to be/have been enforcing de facto segregation. Restrictive covenants, steering and white flight were a quiet way to maintain a racially homogenous community - without the direct threat of violence. Real estate listings on Facebook this year have been using a method of steering to target buyers.

White supremacists have marched repeatedly in Charlottesville and killed a woman this year. 2017, 1926 and 1966 really aren't all that different.

Plus, there's that attempted lynching in the predominantly white and small population town of Claremont that keeps getting swept under the rug.

What were the total populations of these towns that saw "massive" increases in black populations? Those numbers look small for an almost 50 year period. 6 million black people migrated throughout the US in a similar number of years during the Great Migration. 2010 census shows a 1.1% total black population in New Hampshire - 0.6% for Claremont. Bragging rights are not in order.

Cosign all of this. Not all that much has changed in a lot of places. My family and I stayed in a mountain town in the Smokies of East Tennessee. We had a great time and I remember telling my best friend at work that our families should all travel there the next year. She looked at me and said, "Yeah, but could my family and I go there?" It made me realize that I had not seen a single black person during our whole trip. That was 10 years ago and the first time I had white privilege hit me straight on the nose. My friend even told me there were some camp grounds in our home state where she would not feel safe or comfortable staying. Sometimes, the more things change, the more they stay the same.  

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What kind of business does Molly have? I'm trying to envision it.  It's hard.  

I do not care for Josh, but, the idea of the fiance whining, begging, insisting, pressuring someone to give you an item that you cannot afford is really bizarre to me.  If you don't have the money, you don't have the money.  I'm not sure what about that that is so hard to comprehend.  It's like she just didn't believe him.  If he lives with a couple of roommates, it's obvious that he is not financially secure. The insistence on a new diamond seemed distasteful.  

She co-owns a lingerie shop that specializes in hard-to-fit customers. It's very popular down south and she and her business partner were the subjects of an other reality show that focused on their bra-fitting adventures, a few yrs back.

Edited by balisticnikki
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I didn't like Andrei's putting his foot down re: the bachelorette party. Red flag, although I suppose his experiences as a bouncer explain why he feels that way. Having said that, I also get that the strippers thing is a HUGE issue with many couples. Total hot button issue. I admit I'm probably blinded by how intensely hot I find Andrei.

Having said that, CHRIST were Elizabeth's sisters annoying. It was the female version of the inquisition he faced from her father and brother. Someone mentioned it in a previous episode thread: I think Elizabeth did Andrei a big disservice by talking about him before he arrived and not letting the family form an opinion without being influenced. Hilarious seeing him stir that drink while being bombarded with questions.

Overall Andrei and Elizabeth seem to have an intensely physical relationship. They remind me of Russ and Paola from season one. Those two couldn't keep their hands off each other, and the dynamic seems similar here.

The telltale words: "I won't let her."

If Elizabeth had an ounce of self-esteem, she would have stood up and left with her sisters that very instant.   Instead she sat there like the doormat she's desperate to become, fanwanking why she must respect Andrrei's misogyny.   

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

Cosign all of this. Not all that much has changed in a lot of places. My family and I stayed in a mountain town in the Smokies of East Tennessee. We had a great time and I remember telling my best friend at work that our families should all travel there the next year. She looked at me and said, "Yeah, but could my family and I go there?" It made me realize that I had not seen a single black person during our whole trip. That was 10 years ago and the first time I had white privilege hit me straight on the nose. My friend even told me there were some camp grounds in our home state where she would not feel safe or comfortable staying. Sometimes, the more things change, the more they stay the same.  

Yes. So many (White) ppl never have that eureka moment.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Luciano said:

He's from Granada. Between the university and the tourism, there is a constant stream of diversity moving through the place. That particular comparison is one of the few things I don't blame him for, because to go from that to a place that is 95+% homogeneous has to be a culture shock and uncomfortable. Heck, I'm an American living in the northeast and I'd probably feel more at ease living in Granada than Claremont, NH.

That being said, he is condescending in the way he's complaining. Maybe Evelyn said "There's no such thing as the Spanish Dream" one too many times. Or maybe he's just fed up with being steamrolled with all the wedding planning that he decided to unleash his inner petulant teen. Sniping over apples, really? They have been condescending assholes about their homelands to each other since the beginning and maybe, just maaaybe, they should have discussed stuff like location before getting engaged. 

Agree wholeheartedly.  I'm trying to imagine the situation where Evelyn is just trying her best to convince David Spain that Claremont is amazing.  Her approach is tiresome.  If all she has is waxing poetic about mountains and apples then at some point he has to look at her, sigh and say "Hon, there are mountains and apples in other places."   I think they both fundamentally get each other...he wants to travel and see the world, she is scared and wants to stay home.  She naggy and passive aggressive.  He's a condescending ass.   They'll have a nice life together until one of them snaps.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Evelyn may like her Claremont apples but she should try a Stayman Winesap, Fuji or a Honeycrisp apple, those are amazing.  Poor girl is missing out. 

Ha! As Applegate was taking place on screen, I legit yelled "If y'all aren't talking about Honeycrisps then you are both DEAD WRONG!"

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Melanie went to Jamaica more times than Molly went to DR.  Also, Melanie's soon seemed to know who Devar was, as if he'd seen him before, maybe face time.  Molly's daughters acted like they'd never seen Luis before.  

But I agree with you that anybody who brings a stranger home to live with them and their minor child is cray cray.  

Yes, didn't Melanie go to Jamaica 15 times to visit Devar? LOL  I'm remembering 15 times. But she went A LOT. She spent close to $40k btwn visiting him and applying for his visa.  And Hunter and Devar skyped before Devar moved stateside.

It seems Molly went to the DR twice; first meeting and one subsequent visit over the course of two months.

1 minute ago, shockermolar said:

Ha! As Applegate was taking place on screen, I legit yelled "If y'all aren't talking about Honeycrisps then you are both DEAD WRONG!"

Yeah, what kinds of apples grow in Claremont?

Honeycrisps are great but they are 3x the price of every other apple in our supermarkets. So McIntosh and Pink Lady will have to do.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Or like she DID believe him before she flew to the USA, but then found out he lied about his financial/domestic situation.  What rational human being would leave their homeland to hitch their wagon to a media equipment installer with kids he never sees (and probably doesn't support), a criminal record for domestic violence, a history of garnished wages, who lives with multiple roommates because he probably can't afford a decent place on his own (not that he could pass a criminal background check if he did apply for an apartment on his own).

If someone told me he was financially stable, but I was having to share a residence with a bunch of strangers, I might think he was stashing money away . . . and maybe I'd ask for a larger diamond because he was rude enough to want me to wear his ex's old ring.

• Love 5