Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin (Probably) Saves The World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Yeah, Tyler is great.  The premise of the show that Kevin has to keep this a secret from his family is bothering me though.  I don't see the purpose of it, other than making things extra difficult for the main character and creating more conflict. 

Of course, if he told his sister, she would just think he was crazy... so he would need a way to actually prove it.  And considering that he just recently tried to commit suicide, having him unable to explain all of this crazy behavior is very frustrating to watch. 

From the preview, it looks like things will keep getting worse for Kevin... which, for me, will make it more difficult to watch.

He literally can't tell anyone. He's tried. Other words come out of his mouth.

How can he physically give things to Yvette? If someone's watching him, what happens? Does the sandwich he gave her disappear? Float in midair?

I wish they would get around to looking for the others. Isn't that part of the premise of the show?

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

He literally can't tell anyone. He's tried. Other words come out of his mouth.

How can he physically give things to Yvette? If someone's watching him, what happens? Does the sandwich he gave her disappear? Float in midair?

Oh that's right... I forgot what happened when he tried telling someone.  Stupid universe.  If what he's doing is so important, he should have more support.  Especially if he keeps getting in trouble with the law, and worse.

I was thinking the same thing as you when Yvette was eating the sandwich. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

everyone starts learning about Kevin's secret, then that removes a fundamental element to this series.

Most shows I watch where the lead has a secret identity tended to work better when the central core of the group know the leads secret because it gets old lying/hiding to the other main cast members quickly.

• Love 4

My confusion is about the 36 righteous souls per generation. Kevin is the only one left because the other 35 are gone. So these people who he has to find and hug are potentially righteous souls? Or maybe I have Buffy on the brain because of the "in every generation" preface.

What an odd show and somehow I keep watching it.  Count me in the group that does not understand Yvwtte’s purpose. She really doesn’t do much to help Kevin and seems to be there to keep him from getting killed. But she doesn’t offer him any guidance or any information that might prove useful. And it is a small town. He is going to have to leave to go find those righteous souls.  I have always thought that the only reason he is righteous is because he touched the meteor but that does not fit into tne whole concept. It would work though if Reese was the intended target as was suggested by Aliconehead   

• Love 2

don't know where to put this but joanna garcia swisher was on conan last night. she has a really nice figure for someone with 2 kids i must say. though i don't like her hair.

well anyway. conan mentioned that her father , who is a gynecologist, delivered her first child.

that is just horrifying to me. why why why!?  i'm all for openness when it come to your body and sex etc but up to a point. that just seems over the top and completely unnecessary and way too intimate. 

• Love 1
On 10/25/2017 at 8:50 AM, candall said:

Jason Ritter, charming though he is, is trying my patience a bit with all the uncertain stammering.  I'm starting to notice when he gets out a complete sentence without . . . um, I don't know . . . [helpless shrug] like, a big . . .uh, kind of . . . pause, in the middle?  That's not good.

I saw him in an interview and that seems to be his natural way of talking.  It can still be annoying though.

So here I am another week, still watching, still enjoying Kevin and Reese - but not wholly understanding what I'm watching. Yvette is a pain in the ass - she offers no wisdom, no guidance, only corporal protection. And I'm sad to say I'm not enjoying Tyler. He seems to be mugging a lot as he channels Jack Black. I love Jason Ritter, though, and will keep hanging on, but I fear for this show's future.

• Love 1
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 5:19 AM, icemiser69 said:

The idea that Kevin's secret could be told to just a few people and not have the entire town know about it is unrealistic. 

I don't think that's true at all. If it's people who love and care about him wouldn't be telling other people. It's about the same size as Sunnydale, m9st people never knew that Buffy was a slayer or that they were on the hell mouth. 

• Love 2

Just watched this On Demand and I liked it. Ritter is as good as I remember. As has been written he is much like his dad (who I still can't believe is dead) and he has wonderful timing. I hope the show does well enough to get renewed. 

• Love 1

This show seems like the perfect vehicle for Jason Ritter, where his natural charm can and does shine. But it's so... wobbly in the execution. Totally agree with @Good Queen Jane in the mixed feelings. This episode was no different.

I wanted to smack Yvette in the beginning of the episode. Can Kevin not even have breakfast before she's on him about his mission? And then the sarcastic slow clap when he figured out he needed to stay in the diner... made me so mad. Yet he's so nice to her, trying to help her feel more at home and sharing his own experience of homesickness. He's already more like Tyler than he realizes. But Yvette continually rags on him, is clueless, and is zero help. In fact, she often overtly hinders him -- unless his life needs saving -- by making him look crazy. 

I continue to love Tyler for the fact that he does see the good in everyone and in every situation, and now because he stood up to both Kevin and Lucille. He's so kind, and yet he's completely true to himself at the same time. His positive view of everything could seem naive, but I think he has a gift.

Anyway - I remain on the fence with the show itself. It feels like the show dislikes its own main character. Kevin doesn't just face obstacles; they feel like hindrances that judge him as a character. Or something. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels off. Like, the little glimpses into his "crimes". The investment one was bad, sure, but that didn't even feel like "our" Kevin. As he said, he's not that person anymore. The other examples were just silly, yet Yvette still demeans him. Kevin might be a little clumsy or hapless, but he's not a bad guy.

For now, Jason Ritter keeps me on board for at least another week.

• Love 6
On 10/23/2017 at 2:13 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Neither of them said anything to indicate that they were doing anything more than having sex that one time. I don't think anyone should ever make assumptions about where things are going based on having sex once.

Changing times, I guess, and I suppose I'm outdated. The assumption of "just having sex", of casual sex as the norm... well, I'll be outdated then. Emotion is a major component, as far as I'm concerned, so the apparently prevailing attitude of "it's just sex" doesn't sit well with me, personally. To each their own and it's none of my business -- but it does give me a different viewpoint in storytelling.

• Love 2

I like the show.

But I think I'd like the show more if, say, the mission had been dumped on Kevin AND the responsibility of helping him had fallen onto Nate, Reese, Tyler or Kristin. I'm just not feeling Yvette and her smugness.

• Love 3
On 10/25/2017 at 4:53 PM, chitowngirl said:

Since episode 2 I've been trying to watch if anyone else sees any actual, definitive proof of Yvette's existence. I believe the closest we have come is Reese seeing him dangling from the window of the university building.

I expect at some point they will play up the idea that Yvette is imaginary and Kevin is just crazy. 

Agree with others here that everything about the show seems muddled and unclear, and not in a compelling way. It reeks of network interference. I'll have to go look for interviews with it's creators talking about the show.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ae2 said:

Since episode 2 I've been trying to watch if anyone else sees any actual, definitive proof of Yvette's existence. I believe the closest we have come is Reese seeing him dangling from the window of the university building.

His niece saw him pulled from the side of the car.  Not "definitive proof" but she's getting there.

12 hours ago, justmehere said:

Changing times, I guess, and I suppose I'm outdated. The assumption of "just having sex", of casual sex as the norm... well, I'll be outdated then. Emotion is a major component, as far as I'm concerned, so the apparently prevailing attitude of "it's just sex" doesn't sit well with me, personally. To each their own and it's none of my business -- but it does give me a different viewpoint in storytelling.

Casual sex is nothing new. It's been around for decades so I don't think that Kristin was being particularly generationally modern in assuming that she could have ex sex without automatically assuming that they were in a serious committed monogamous relationship (just look at sitcoms from the 90s for more examples of casual sex/ex sex).

I'm sure there is a component of emotion there, but none of it was rooted in her current "relationship" with Kevin, which is almost non-existent at this point. They have a past but right now they know very little about each other and who they have become. Any emotion she has for him is probably nostalgia for the love she had for him when she was 18, which is certainly not enough to build a relationship now. If they're going to start dating again, they need to get to know the adult versions of each other. All she knows about him right now is that he ditched her in a shitty way when he was an immature teenager and that he eventually moved to New York. All he knows about her now is that she's a high school teacher. I know the cashier at my favorite lunch spot better than they know each other right now.

Sad to say, I'm out with this show. I didn't even finish watching this episode. Honestly, I was bored and my mind was wondering so much I missed a bunch of scenes and didn't realize it at first. I just don't care about these characters or what happens to them. And I agree with some of the other folks that the plot seems convoluted. Too bad because I'm a fan of Jason Ritter, but he can't even save this show for me. :(

I think if you have sex with someone you meet at a party, with hardly even any conversation besides that, it's casual sex. You might want to develop a relationship after, and there's nothing wrong with trying, but it's not an automatic assumption that that will happen.

If you are dating for a while, and then have sex in the context of an on-going relationship, I think it's more ambiguous, and you probably should have a conversation about what it means to you before you do it, because there is definitely a much higher expectation and likelihood of feelings of attachment in that situation.

That said, I thought both of them handled the situation well. He wanted more, she didn't. He asked, was rebuffed, and handled it with respect and dignity, and heard what she had to say about it, and reflected on how he'd behaved in the past, then took action to make amends for it. She said how she felt, and why, and didn't try to destroy him, she just communicated clearly and directly. It's rare that a situation like this is handled so well on tv; it's usually a set up for drama, and followed by shenanigans. It made me like both characters more.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Casual sex is nothing new. It's been around for decades

I'm sure it's been around much longer than that. Centuries? All of human history? It's not new in media either. It's the prevailing attitude toward it that has changed. Not that long ago, TV shows and movies referred to intercourse as "making love." The depiction was more often of a relationship developing, and then people sleeping together. If one person then disappeared, it was considered hurtful. Now, that term has become a joke. On shows where the language is allowed, it's now just "fucking." The prevailing attitude has changed, both in society and in media to where "it's just sex," and there supposedly should be no assumption of a relationship because of it. That is a generational change; I have watched it change.

I commented that my view is different from the current attitude -- and so I viewed the episode differently. I also said to each their own.

• Love 2

Insulin needs refrigeration, right?

And child support is not optional. She needs a lawyer to make sure daddy's wages are garnished.

I'm confused about the righteous (is that what they call them-- the 36 or whatever it was originally?) people issue. I thought Yvette told Kevin he was the only one of the "righteous" (or whatever) people left. And when her friend visited from wherever Yvette came from, she confirmed that Kevin is the only one, all the others are gone, and so Yvette's the only one with a person to protect. So why is Kevin supposed to look for the other ones? If he's the only one?

I like the cop who was eating dessert with the sister. I didn't realize they were actually friends, though, so I was surprised to see them eating together. I somehow also didn't realize she's friends with the guy who works at the diner. AND I didn't remember about the prison. So clearly this show's details are not sticking with me.

I am ashamed to admit I enjoyed Yvette using Kevin to beat the deadbeat dad. Ritter is good at physical comedy, and the choreography of Yvette making him do it was fun. I also kept expecting they were going to humanize the dad, but nope. They let him be a straight up unredeemed villain.

This show is basically Joan of Arcadia, with an adult in Joan's role and one guide instead of many manifestations giving her clues. On that show, Joan was growing as a person and creating "good ripples" in the world. Kevin supposedly is doing that and also has a larger mission to save the world, and they've added more supernatural elements and given him visions on a more regular basis, but the basic formula is pretty much the same. Kevin is also allowed to have something to offer to Yvette, in a way that Joan never really did with the "God" on JoA. I guess that's because Kevin's an adult, and Yvette's not GOD, and she is also challenged by her circumstances. They've raised up Kevin and scaled back Yvette, relative to Joan and the God of JoA. But basically I think this show is a reboot.

• Love 4

Despite being on the outs with his sister, Kevin tries to help a desperate man find work in order to support his family. Meanwhile, Amy deals with the ramifications of invading Reese’s privacy – an act that forces everyone to rethink their priorities and what it means to be a family.

Promo:

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I like the cop who was eating dessert with the sister. I didn't realize they were actually friends, though, so I was surprised to see them eating together.

In the pilot, when Kevin and Nate see each other for the first time in a while, Kevin recalls that Nate had a crush on Amy in high school. Nate explains that he's also been checking in on Amy regularly since her husband died, in case they need anything.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

At what point does Kevin gets to be treated like a human being instead of a doormat?

It seems like every time he tries to help someone out, he gets treated like crap, until the person he helps gets something out of the deal.  Then that person starts treating him like a decent human being.

I agree with this. The pattern that seems to follow Kevin in these five episodes center around him screwing up and people yelling at him, with him having to apologize. I get that he's still learning to be a selfless person and to think of others before himself, but he keeps getting in trouble or injured and I'd like for them to try something new. Now, he's getting kicked of his sister's house, which probably won't even last past next episode.

I like this show a lot, but it's all because of Jason Ritter. If he wasn't so damn good at this role, I might have stopped by this episode. 

Yvette is frustrating as well. She keeps encouraging him to do all this stuff, but without any idea of why. I'm sick of her "Because the universe says so" excuse. I mean, I get that she has no idea because the showrunners have no idea, but she's then been useless and Kevin's had to encourage and help her! She's not actually helping Kevin out. He's been figuring it all out on his own. 

I'm surprisingly ok with Reese and Amy. I think the family moments are the best part of the show. I like Kevin and Reese scenes, just as much as I like Kevin and Amy scenes. 

Amy's a very overprotective mom and she shouldn't be reading her daughter's journal. That is a source of Reese's outlet, to be able to express herself openly without worrying about people reading into her thoughts. She just needs to hide her journal better, it seems. But I also understand Amy's worry. She's had to deal with Kevin, so she's hypersensitive at the moment. 

I think Kevin's ex girlfriend needs more to do than to pop in for one scene and then disappear. I actually like her but I'm not seeing her purpose, much like I don't see Nate's purpose. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Amy's a very overprotective mom and she shouldn't be reading her daughter's journal. That is a source of Reese's outlet, to be able to express herself openly without worrying about people reading into her thoughts. She just needs to hide her journal better, it seems. But I also understand Amy's worry. She's had to deal with Kevin, so she's hypersensitive at the moment. 

I think Kevin's ex girlfriend needs more to do than to pop in for one scene and then disappear. I actually like her but I'm not seeing her purpose, much like I don't see Nate's purpose. 

If I were Amy, my big takeaway from first glance at Reese's journal would be the girl is a killer artist. 

And then I would have respected her privacy, but I guess if Amy had done that, we wouldn't have something to do in the next episode.

As for the ex-girlfriend and Nate, I would agree that they're a little rudderless at the moment. I get playing a long game with a storyline, but I think the "Kevin" showrunners need to get things kicked into gear on some fronts. Five episodes of Yvette bullying Kevin into giving up his life's possessions, going completely broke and looking like a whackjob to friends and family has me ready for the next step in the story.

• Love 7

I keep struggling with the idea that the back story for Kevin doesn't really work for Jason Ritter, whose essential charm/goodness is always present. I have trouble believing he WAS self-centered and suicidal. I know they did a very quick flashback to a stock-broker like existence last week, but... IDK. And since I struggle with buying he was so self-centered, his "change arc" isn't as strong and all these "learning moments" just seem like Yvette/the Universe is making him suffer unnecessarily. He never really puts up much fuss at doing whatever he's asked to, so he's already "changed" and we're only 5 episodes in, so where can they go with that?

Edited by taragel
  • Love 8

After watching the ATM spit out money and clues, I started coming to the conclusion that Kevin essentially has no free will. He can't really do anything that's not "the mission" because God will just mess with Kevin until he does. At least JoA had a villain who talked to God but didn't really bother doing what he was asked to do.

• Love 5

I'm mostly concerned by the fact that he does seem (potentially dangerously) unhinged to people around him - and in this episode, is apparently violent to random strangers. It's a small town but people do trust him to a disturbing degree. 

Also, if this is part of God's plan for the world, and he is the only enlightened human on the planet, why is Kevin still in this small, minimally diverse town? 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, ketose said:

After watching the ATM spit out money and clues, I started coming to the conclusion that Kevin essentially has no free will. He can't really do anything that's not "the mission" because God will just mess with Kevin until he does. At least JoA had a villain who talked to God but didn't really bother doing what he was asked to do.

That's true. Joan had free will, but she always saw that the consequences of doing what she was told were good, so she kind of went along with it most of the time, after some initial resistance.

I agree the plan is pretty weak, if the entire world is at stake. You'd think a powerful entity (have they said this is God's plan? I can't remember) could come up with something a little more efficient.

Maybe Yvette's BSing, though. Maybe this is not a divine plan to save the world. Maybe it's an alien invasion and they're grooming Kevin to be their agent. I feel like his sister's job is more than just a random thing to keep her employed. At some point it has to play into the main story.

I do like that Reese is figuring things out. I hate it when everyone around a show's main character is completely ignoring the very strange behavior going on around them, and the Big Secret exists because of selective oblivion.

• Love 5

Kevin eating handfuls of cereal off the floor made me laugh harder than it should have.

Amy clearly has a problem with boundaries. It is not okay to violate your kid's privacy by reading her journal, even if she leaves it open.

And I really don't think that she and Nate are close enough for her to lick her spoon and assume that she can just eat his pudding without even asking. There are only certain people I would do that with. Most people I would at least ask if I could have a taste (and I would offer to use a clean spoon).

She was pretty standoffish with Nate in the first few episodes (remember how she just walked off after he brought a carburetor to her at work?) . I guess after he offered to help her paint, they started spending more time together? I remember they went running together in a previous episode, but sitting together eating dessert and talking about Reese seems like a pretty big leap in their friendship since the first episode.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

Reese: I have a theory. It's the classic origin story. Meteor falls to earth. Normal idiot touches it. Idiot acts weird, heads home, goes to sleep, and then the changes begin. Idiot will never be the same again.

Kevin: Are you sad because my parents used to dress us alike? Because I have about fifteen years of photos that will make you weep.

Yvette: Money is just paper. It's worthless.
Kevin: Actually, that's not true. It has a specific worth written right on the bill.

Yvette: How do you feel?
Kevin: Broke.

Max's mom: You're a grown man giving drugs to a teenage boy.
Kevin: What? Ew. No. That sounds gross when you say it like that.

Yvette: I'm feeling frustrated. It's very unpleasant.

Kevin: I know that you're new to feelings and everything, but this is clearly your emotions talking.
Yvette: I want them to shut up.
Kevin: Well you can try to do what I do and stuff it all down into a dark terrible place and deal with it in therapy later.

Amy: I wish I could see into [Reese's] brain.
Nate: Uh, no, you don't.

Nate: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. What's happening here?
Amy: I can't try your dessert?
Nate: No, you can't just have my pudding. That's...gross.
Amy: Why?
Nate: Pudding is basically cold soup. Would you eat somebody else's soup?

Yvette: I never understood road rage - calm one minute, insane the next. Now I get it.
Kevin: Except you weren't driving so it was just rage rage.

Kevin: Kindness is dumb.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Kevin eating handfuls of cereal off the floor made me laugh harder than it should have.

And I really don't think that she and Nate are close enough for her to lick her spoon and assume that she can just eat his pudding without even asking. There are only certain people I would do that with. Most people I would at least ask if I could have a taste (and I would offer to use a clean spoon).

Ah-hahahaah, ElectricBoogaloo, DH mumbled something about getting a pudding "for the table," and then we looked at each other and yelled "JOEY DOESN'T SHARE FOOD!!"  There's a Friends quote for every situation.  And yes, she should have at least asked before digging in.  I may snitch a French fry from DH's plate without asking (he is not like Joey), but I wouldn't ever dig into something with a fork or spoon...even if it were a piece of telescoping cutlery :). That's just rude, no matter who's across the table.

• Love 2

I want to like this show and I've been trying. But I think I'm done. Yvette somehow controlling Kevin so that he beat a man senseless to get a check out of him pretty much ruined the feel-good nature of his alleged mission. 

• Love 2

Sad to say, I'm out with this show. I didn't even finish watching this episode. Honestly, I was bored and my mind was wondering so much I missed a bunch of scenes and didn't realize it at first. I just don't care about these characters or what happens to them. And I agree with some of the other folks that the plot seems convoluted. Too bad because I'm a fan of Jason Ritter, but he can't even save this show for me. :(

We need to get rid of Yvette, who does nothing but annoy

This and this. I'm not totally out since I love Jason Ritter and my husband is really into the show, but it could be SO much better.  What is with the visions?  Are we going to have 1 per show?  I never thought about the possibility that Yvette may not be real, but that seems plausible.

To me when a show is being created, the main question that needs to have a good answer is "What is this show about?"  I bet you no one on the writing team can answer it.  They would probably say, "We were told to write something to showcase Jason Ritter, and this is what we came up with!"

• Love 2

I like this show, but I'm also tired of people being nasty to Kevin. Like that couple a few weeks ago, who started joking around about how awful he was, not her type, etc, when he'd been good to them both. 

I like that this mother apologized, even though I understand she was trying to protect her son. Anyone would wonder about a strange person approaching their kid. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Anela said:

I like that this mother apologized, even though I understand she was trying to protect her son. Anyone would wonder about a strange person approaching their kid. 

I also liked that even Kevin admitted that a random stranger knocking on their door and offering drugs for her kid came off as inappropriate. I'm glad he isn't so blinded by trying to good things that he's lost all self-awareness. I mean, he didn't realize it at first but once she pointed it out, he was like ohhhhhhh.

• Love 6

It bugs me though how easily he seems to get people to come around, unless that's partially magic-caused-by-his-invisible-friend. It felt unearned to me that she'd go from "you are a creepy fuck buying my kid's prescriptions" to her eventual reaction to him, even pre-lawyer she seemed convinced he was a good dude. I mean, I buy there is a way Kevin could've talked her into it during her initial freak out to make him seem much more reasonable, but...that is not what he said. Her changing her mind about him felt extremely "because the writers said so" to me. I didn't enjoy that. 

I'm also still frustrated with how they're handling his past and how he got there. There's a big disconnect for me between the jerk he was supposed to have been before, the suicide attempt, and his current demeanor. I get that Amy finding out about the arrest made her not want him in her house or around her kid, but isn't the reason he went there in the first place because she was seriously concerned about his mental health? I'm not saying cutting ties with a mentally ill relative is never an appropriate response. It can be totally necessary, but this was a very weird segue to me from her previous (and very recent in show timeline) concerns. 

• Love 3

It is very JoA like with the whole "this person was crazy and now they're better, but maybe they are crazy... or not." I think Joan was seriously ill before the family moved. Obviously, none of this stuff is by accident. Kevin used an ATM filled with clues and money and that put everything together. Now, a show like "My Name is Earl" had Earl making connections by just being a better person, until near the end when the show went full-on higher power.

• Love 1

Wait . . . Jason Ritter was also in Joan of Arcadia, playing Joan's brother? So now he's starring in a series that is essentially a rip-off of Joan of Arcadia with less overt references to God? That's . . . odd. 

I never watched Joan of Arcadia before. I wonder what (if any) involvement Jason Ritter had in launching Kevin Saves. Surely he realized at some point it was basically the same show.

• Love 1

Kevin's break-up call was more charming than it should've been. But at least they had closure.

I'm already shipping Nate and Amy. Poor long suffering Nate. But I did think it was adorbs that Kevin invited him out to drink. He was trying to include you!

Jason Ritter's haircut and shave and nice fitting jeans had him looking NICE!

Nate does push ups in his sleep. Heh. Nate is also awesome helping the ladies do better spying.

Kevin's sleepwalking to Sleeping Beauty was just hilarious. I love that song as Sleeping Beauty was the first Disney movie my parents bought me as a kid and it remains my first and fav.

I thought Kevin had better chem with Deb the bride than his on show love interest.

Ava's 'Oh....yeah. He'll work out.' Was hilarious. Nice that they dropped in that there are other guides out there who are kind of roaming around without their righteous souls to guild.

Kevin's 'Ohh!' as he explained 'Say Yes to the Dress' was great.

No one tells jokes to tables. Good insight, Kevin.

Kevin telling the truth about why he was back to his friends was REALLY well done by Ritter. I liked the mention of how the feeling of the despair does pass but damn if his eyes betrayed both the relief of that feeling passing and also hint at the pain and despair of when you're IN that pain because it's unimaginably shitty and at that moment you don't think it'll pass. 

Those first two signature cocktails sounded sweet but yummy.

• Love 1