Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin (Probably) Saves The World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/20/2017 at 2:00 AM, Perfect Xero said:

I'm really looking forward to this one, Jason Ritter and JoAnne Garcia Swisher are two of my TV favorites.

I agree ! I really hope this show takes off because it has awesome potential ???

On 8/23/2017 at 3:39 AM, jhlipton said:

Kimberly Hebert Gregory ("Yvette") is an awesome actress, but it looks like she'll be stuck playing Magical Negro to Kevin.  No thanks.

Has she been added to the cast? I don't remember seeing her in the promo material.

This is the fall drama I'm most excited for because of the cast. I've read the pilot script (which was....piloty...mostly setup), and I think the Yvette role will expand a bit and hopefully break out of that trope as the show goes on. The creators at least are aware of it and say Yvette has her own life/dreams/goals and won't just be there to guide Kevin. 

I think the goofy spirtuality-lite central theme might be problematic though. They're aiming for feel-good but...I think a little groundedness makes the manipulative emotional stuff go down easier.

So, Jason Ritter was in Joan of Arcadia where his sister was talking to God and being given tasks to save the world.  And, now he's in this show where he's talking to an angel and being given tasks to save the world.  interesting.

• Love 1

Well, this Kevin is a pale recapitulation of Kevin Girardi, only dopier ... and ambulatory, of course.  The show lacks the subtle qualities that made Joan of Arcadia so different and compelling.  The premise obviously is trying to recapture the JoA spirit but it hasn't any sense of the transcendent.  Instead it's a cartoon without a clue.  Please, writers, if you really want to make a show worth watching, study the JoA S1 episodes and emulate. 

• Love 5

I was surprised that I liked it. It's totally Joan of Arcadia 2, though.

I do not buy Joanna Garcia in the slightest as a leading expert on advanced weapons systems.

I wonder how often he'll find one of the 36. It sounds like #1 will not show up until the end of the season.

• Love 5

I actually really liked it. I didn't even plan to watch, but I'm glad I did. I'm giving this a few more episodes, but I'm in as long as it's airing, I think. I don't get the feeling it'll last past episode 6, let alone season 1, but I'll watch until cancellation. 

• Love 4

I wasn't going to watch this either but it was on and before I knew it I was sucked in to it. Jason Ritter is so damn adorable! I guess I will see where this goes. I agree it is not as good as Joan of Arcadia but Jason Ritter made it worth watching. 

Edited by gibasi
  • Love 11

Joanna Garcia was on Reba and Priviliged. She was also on Pitch as Mark Paul Gosselaar's ex. J. August Richards was of course on Angel and Chloe East (Reese) was on the final season of Liv and Maddie.

8 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Me neither and those scenes did feel like they belonged to an entirely different show.

Same, which is why I'm glad there was only two scenes of it. 

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

When it comes to dealing with Kevin, Yvette is a little bit too intense.  She needs to back off a little bit and not be so pushy.  I like her, she just needs to pump the breaks a little.

Agreed. I do think we'll see not just Kevin learning, but Yvette learning from Kevin as well. The end scene with her confessing that she gave up Paradise to help Kevin was very poignant; she's just as alone in this world, and it'll probably be a mutual relationship where they help each other out. Also, it's the pilot, so they probably needed Yvette to be more intense to get right into the plot. I assume she'll chill out by the next episode.

• Love 4

Another ABC family-affirming entry, a welcome alternative to NCIS-NOLA blood and guts. It could do with less angst and more insight, spread too thin over a one-hour show, maybe, but it was just the stage-setting pilot. I wish it well, especially Jason Ritter. Dad John did good.

• Love 6

Echoing the sentiments already stated: I was cautiously optimistic (because I really love Jason), but I have to say that I enjoyed watching this.  I might have even cracked a smile or two.  Jason is as charming as ever and the cast as a whole has good chemistry.  Also agree with others that the super secret weapons military meeting took me out a bit (reminded me of Timeless with the university prof as expert consultant), but overall, I'm in too.

• Love 3

Since Mr. Ed days, I've held an unreasonable grudge against characters who Know A Magic Secret that nobody else does. I might be able to hang in if the scenes of Kevin publicly talking to no one are tamped way down and the focus becomes more on the family interactions and Kevin searching out good in the world.

I liked the cast; Jason is always solid and I thought the actor who plays Reese was very credible as a wounded teen.

The casually disheveled look being in for men, I suppose it's too much to hope that Kevin shaves, cuts his hair, and tucks his shirt in.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

Add Isla Fisher to the mix and we're really in trouble. ;)

Sad (but not surprised) to hear the ratings were very soft. Hope they give it a little time because I'd rather watch an endearing cast in a lackluster show than a blah cast in a more solidly plotted one. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Since Mr. Ed days, I've held an unreasonable grudge against characters who Know A Magic Secret that nobody else does. I might be able to hang in if the scenes of Kevin publicly talking to no one are tamped way down and the focus becomes more on the family interactions and Kevin searching out good in the world.

I liked the cast; Jason is always solid and I thought the actor who plays Reese was very credible as a wounded teen.

The casually disheveled look being in for men, I suppose it's too much to hope that Kevin shaves, cuts his hair, and tucks his shirt in.

I agree that the character holding back a secret is frustrating. What I love about this for this particular show is that we were shown Kevin actively trying to talk about it, but actually unable to. It's a nice twist on a typical trope, in which he legit can't even say the words to make himself less crazy-looking. He actually has a legit reason for not exposing his secret. 

Jason Ritter is a very, very good actor. I always find myself surprised at how much I love seeing him in things. He's just as talented as his father was. He really delivered some layers to Kevin in this pilot that make him very endearing to watch. 

• Love 11

I didn't know anything about this show until I saw the Times review linked above. I still have a lot of goodwill for the cast of Joan of Arcadia, and I like Ritter a lot. Still miss The Class, too. I checked it out on the strength of the review.

44 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I agree that the character holding back a secret is frustrating. What I love about this for this particular show is that we were shown Kevin actively trying to talk about it, but actually unable to. It's a nice twist on a typical trope, in which he legit can't even say the words to make himself less crazy-looking. He actually has a legit reason for not exposing his secret. 

Kevin earnestly trying to reveal his secret and instead confessing to (and confronting) misdeeds from his sordid past made me think of Jim Carrey's compulsively honest attorney in "Liar, Liar."

• Love 5

Dammit, I was all set to mercilessly mock this show, but instead I find myself loving it.   It was very funny, and surprisingly full of un-ironic heart.

Looks like I'm adding this to my Watch Live list.  I hope it sticks around.

• Love 5

The ratings arent even that bad. Over four million and over a 1.0 in the demo is solid this day and age.

I disagree with the poster saying this show doesn't fit in today's tv. I don't agree because it's the kind of light and positive show tv needs. It's literally counter programming to life right now. 

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

The ratings arent even that bad. Over four million and over a 1.0 in the demo is solid this day and age.

I disagree with the poster saying this show doesn't fit in today's tv. I don't agree because it's the kind of light and positive show tv needs. It's literally counter programming to life right now. 

I agree with the ratings point. I fully expected it worse than it was. It depends on how much it drops for the second episode, though. That'll determine where the network may lean in terms of renewal status. 

I knew it was a dramedy, but in my head, I just expected it to be a half hour, which is why I was surprised at the full hour. I didn't pay much attention to this show before last night. I saw the preview for the pilot once and thought that I'd be annoyed with the show, despite my love for Jason Ritter and Joanna Garcia Swisher. It is different in a sense to what we've seen on TV recently, but it's a good thing. We need different, I think. It feels like it could fit in the early 2000s era, but with all the reboots, remakes, and sequels nowadays, this fits in an entirely new category. I'm not sure what to call it. Maybe nostalgia? Whatever it is, it's better than I ever thought it could be. I'm really glad I gave it a chance. 

• Love 3

That was cute. I'm in, just because I need more shows where the sun shines all the time - like Hart of Dixie, and Gilmore Girls - but I also just need a few lighter shows to balance out everything else. The end made me smile  - where his niece was smiling, and said he was definitely crazy, as he talked to the woman who keeps pushing him around. 

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Can’t stand the invisible to everyone else angel concept, though. 

It's an age-old trope. Ultimately, much depends on how the other character plays it. It worked for Jimmy Stewart in "Harvey" and "It's a Wonderful Life."

• Love 1

Jason Ritter and Joanna Garcia Swisher both have off the charts charisma in my book, so that is a plus for the show right there (at least with me).  Selling her as some super smart weapons expert is an uphill climb, but I'll happily hand-wave that since I know little about the topic anyway.  The woman who played Yvette is extremely likable.

Jason Ritter does a fantastic job at vacillating between pure comedy and drama.  I see the resemblance to his dad, but John Ritter always seemed almost vaudevillian to me and that never appealed.  Maybe I just never saw him in any dramatic roles.

I needed a dose of whatever this show provides.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Not a bad episode, but this show's concept I don't think really fits in the era we live in.  I think this show would be a better fit back in the 80s.  Sort of the old Michael Landon, "Highway to Heaven"  era.

The producers consciously wanted a show that less dark than so much on TV now. I also understand your concern, because audiences may not even know what to make of a show like this anymore.

6 hours ago, 2727 said:

On the show Continuum, they made the smart step of giving the character who heard a voice in her head (through future tech) a Bluetooth earpiece so it looked like she was talking on the phone. With something like that, Kevin can just seem like a douche instead of crazy.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

In an era where countless comic books are turned into television shows, and spinoff after spinoff of procedurals take up too much of prime time programming, this show doesn't fit in this era.  It doesn't fit that mold.  Yes, it is counter programming, and I would love to see more shows like this.  I want this show to be a ratings winner.  I just have a difficult time believing that it is going to hold an audience.  This really is more of an 8pm show than a 10pm show.  

I like the concept, and I like all of the characters.  This pilot episode was absolutely watchable when most of them try to do too much. 

It's a light dramedy . We have those on tv. Good Place, Crazy Ex, Jane the Virgin, Black ish. Shows that switch from light to dark. The message here is just a touch more positive than usual. 

I don't know, I feel the reactions to the tone are over reactions. There are shows with lighter tones on tv and there is room for it. 

There is also no such thing as a show that belongs at any time period now. There is no family hour. Empire comes on at 8 o clock. So does Arrow and so on. People also watch shows when they want. I know not all do but the main demo advertisers want do. 

At the end of the day, the main reason I said it does belong in this current tv landscape is because it's needed. This type of show. Shows like Happy Days existed to counter the horrors of Vietnam. It's not new to have a show designed to target a demo of people who may need something on tv.

Also how different is it actually? Underground government units with secrets they are trying to keep that way? Someone with powers? Pouty teens that need a bright spot in their lives? A show about the fuck up of a family turning his life around? None of this is out of place today really. It just also focuses on being a positive force in people's lives. They found a way to be different but not too different. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bobbin said:

It's an age-old trope. Ultimately, much depends on how the other character plays it. It worked for Jimmy Stewart in "Harvey" and "It's a Wonderful Life."

Yes, there and then. Not now and here. IMO. Let's get a little more creative and less obvious, Show writers. Like the movie "Stranger than Fiction" adapted the trope to a voice in the main character's head.

Can we loose Kevin somewhere and make the black lady the angel the main character instead? Oh well, it's not like I managed to sit through the episode anyway so that's a moot point. I expect it's going to be exactly like Joan of Arcadia, with a main character learning the same lesson every episode and forgetting everything they learned the minute the credits roll.

Pass.

This feels sort of like Angel from Hell and that show lasted about three weeks. Maybe a one hour dramedy is more ambitious but it isn't any better. Not really funny enough or quirky enough. Just a really odd concept.

i wish better for Jason Ritter.

watched it for jason ritter. don't really like joanna garcia even though she was ok on reba. on a shallow note, have her ears always stuck out a little? i never noticed this before. also don't like the hair color.

i also don't buy her as whatever the hell she is supposed to be. 

she leaves in a helicopter, the daughter says this is not  a usual occurrence but neither she nor her uncle are all that frantic about it.

and..the mother leaves her brother who only weeks ago tried to commit suicide, therefore he is most likely pretty fragile right now, in charge of her daughter without letting him know she was leaving for who knows how long.

i thought she mentioned what her profession was at the start of the show and it was not this. i don't buy her in this role

will give it another try but i just don't know. 

reaper! i loved that show.

• Love 1