Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E01: I'm Not Crazy, I'm Confident

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Yeah.  In what universe is a parole officer a healer?  Or a financial analyst a hero?

Survivor. The same universe where Candice is a hero, Francesca is a fan favorite, Sierra is a game changer, etc, etc. 

• Love 21

I enjoyed Ryan and thought he handled the advantage well. 

I was also impressed by Desi and Mike calming down enough to do the straight rail table maze at the end. That looked difficult.

The term "power couple" annoys the bejesus out of me. They're two unified votes so they have a bit more power if they handle it right. If not, they're giant targets. So they're just a pair atm.

I could see that Alan was trying to turn people against JP and Ashley, which strategically wasn't a bad move, but jeeeeez. Tone it down, buddy.

Patrick looked like he would annoy the hell out of me. Poor Ali.

Mike... might have potential eventually if he settles down. I can't see Joe the threatmongerer lasting very long.

As to Chrissy, being a good parent and then re-entering the workforce and succeeding at a job? I think that's just as important and inspiring as being an Olympian or NFL player.

Note: Neither Alan nor Trina were going to mention to people that they were an NFL player/former Olympian. So no idea what the Heroes thought Katrina did, but they probably didn't know about that. Also, I don't know that Chrissy was close to Katrina so much as they were the two odd moms out. Getting rid of Katrina means Ben and Alan are more likely to pick up Chrissy as their third since they're worried about JP & Ashley, and Chrissy may have decided Katrina was weaker than Ashley. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Yeah.  In what universe is a parole officer a healer?  Or a financial analyst a hero?

This whole theme is just ridiculous.  I mean, healers aren't also by definition heroes?    I have to avoid thinking about it. 

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Alan is a little crazy but he is using it as a strategy and I kind of like him.

I’ve wondered if anyone has ever thought to use that as a strategy. Act like a complete wackadoodle around camp (but still contribute during challenges and at camp; don’t act paranoid) but then show you’re completely normal and levelheaded in your confessionals. If people think you’re crazy, they might say stuff more freely around you, treat you like you’re an idiot and tell you their game plan so you vote accordingly to how they want, etc. You could potentially know a lot more and make moves as necessary. No one thinks you’re a threat and you go to the end because you’re a goat. Then you whip off the mask at FTC and show how you influenced the game all along. Its probably way too difficult to play a mental game with not just everyone else but also yourself so this will most likely never happen. I actually thought Debbie was pulling this act in her first season but she was actually insane. Maybe Alan is doing something of this sort. Time will tell! 

• Love 7

Wow...I think that SUPER IDOL may have been the biggest flop since the "MEDALLION OF POWER". 

I'm sure everyone...producers included were waiting for Chrissy to play it and save Katrina...and then boom...nothing! Not what they envisioned I'm sure.

Early on when someone said "It's Christmas!" It made me miss BIG BROTHER....yeah, they were a house full of tools this summer but when you are with people for that long you get use to them and miss them when they are gone...but now time to get use to the new SURVIVORS...so enough digression.

Hated Ryan right off the bat just based on the fact he blatantly showed up in a red Gilligan shirt. He probably would have worn the hat but CBS probably didn't want to pay royalties to the Schwartz family.

Alex...come on...you don't show up on day one playing a Philip Shepard game....no way this guy even sees the jury.

In what world is a financial analyst a hero? Really?!

Even before the super idol was introduced I knew if the Hero team lost Katrina was dead in the water....simply because....and this is sad....but true...she wasn't attractive enough and that alone can subconsiously in the minds of the other players mark someone to go.

Hey! There is a random Asian woman on the show this year and she didn't even get a name as far as I know. We could have cut a little of the Woody Allan wannabee running around drawing attention to himself hunting for the idol and perhaps introduced everyone at some point. Joe was actually scary the way he verbally was able to corner the urologist about hunting the idol. I bet he's damn good at being a probation officer but  he sure is intimidating.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Kind of answering the question with another question.  Why would Chrissy vote off Katrina?

I'm guessing she was hiding

JP and the 3 women could have easily whacked Alan, but that idea didn't seem to come up.

Not sure if JP is as clued in as the audience how Alan is psycho obsessed about him and Ashley being this "power couple".

It all feels kind of "off".

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that everyone is not who they say they are. That these categories were to challenge  us and the other players on how to view them. 

• Love 2

Not that I ever plan on trying to be on this show, but if I somehow end up there, I swear that my day 1 talking head is going to be about how if you're trying to sow discord before the first Tribal, much less before the merge is in sight, that paints a way bigger target on you than on the people who you're going after. Although apparently the heroes tribe doesn't agree.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Joe being a healer was answered in some interview Probst gave pre-show. From what I recall, Probst said he was talking to Joe about his job and Joe told him he wasn't really the parolee's opponent. He was there to try to help them during a difficult time of transition. However, that means he not only tries to give them goals and resource ideas, but he also holds them accountable for their actions.

Hence... he's a weird type of healer.

As to financial analysts being heroes... I think Chrissy is in there because they wanted her and that's where she fit best, but I think they're going for the angle of managing to be both a great parent and managing to be very successful in her career at the same time. Given how difficult parenting is, I don't mind the shoutout.

• Love 2

Congratulations Alan, you absolutely made yourself look crazy in this episode. In fact, worse than crazy, you just looked stupid as fuck. I am going to assume the one woman wasn't that close to the woman voted off since considering she could only use the idol for that one tribal, the fact that she didn't use it to save the woman makes it clear she was fine with her leaving. Other than Alan, I can't really remember anyone's name and no one stood out to me in a really good way yet but I enjoyed the premiere. Nerd guy on the Hustler tribe is trying way too hard to be the next Cochran. The "look at me, I'm a loser, I'm a dork," shtick got old really fast but I'm a little intrigued by him and surfer dude as an alliance.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

So now that we are stuck in Fiji, I guess we just get “Survivor is back!” from Jeff, rather than the “This is (insert location here, with a brief history and clips of the wildlife and weather)”.  So because the tie vote goes directly to a rock draw was a bust last season (probably because they were told ahead of time), now we’re back to the previous tie vote tie breakers.  Boring. 

Op Scene: yay to no chickens getting tossed overboard.  They seemed to waste a lot of fruit and vegetables.  There was no plan at all when they started the marooning.  I like the twists that come with the marooning (in this case, one tribe getting a fire making kit and the other getting flint), but I wish just one tribe won.  Seeing the Hustlers tribe hopelessly trying to row to shore, and then getting a clip where 3 of them weren’t even facing the right way.  They certainly didn’t live up to their name. 

Challenge: I’ve been pretty down on the challenges the last few seasons, but this was a good one.  Gave me flashbacks to when Guatemala did one similar (though that one was a blow out with a funnier outcome).  I liked that they could pick what puzzle they wanted, but that it was first come, first serve, so you might get the crappy puzzle because your tribe was last.  I don’t know who I wanted to lose more, the Heroes or the Healers.  Of course had the Healers lost Mike would have been an easy first out thanks to King Joe.  And poor Chrissy already getting sick at the challenge.

As for the tribes themselves:

Hustlers: I love Ryan!  Who knew the guy that I thought would annoy me was my favorite of the night?  He won the ep for me with his TH.  I was so excited he found the secret advantage, but disappointed it was only good for the first TC.  I’m thinking he’s going to need it.  I did like the twist on it, but after last season, please let this be the only super idol.  So I guess Taylor changed his name to Devon and instead of snowboarding teaches kids to surf.  I don’t know why Ryan thought Devon would have been in trouble at the first TC if they went, to where he said he’d play the idol for him.

Healers:  Mike, I would hope you would have enough sense to go look for the idol, and not go because your 10 year old son told you to.  He kind of annoys me, but not as much as Joe.  Joe is so cocky, but no way he’s going to win with an attitude like that right out of the gate.  We’ve come a long way from Richard Hatch and his “I’ve got the million dollar check written” from season 1, episode 1.  Please let him be not only an early boot, but a blindside.

Heroes: I love Alan, but hate the rest of his alliance (mainly Ben).  Way to be original and target the two oldest women on your tribe.  This season has high school clique vibes already.  And this is one reason why I hate the 3 tribe, 6 person set up in the beginning.  At least in a tribe of 10 there’s more targets.  JP and Ashley violated one of the most important rules of Survivor and acted like they were already a power couple.  Alan definitely playing too hard, too fast, and I hope that doesn’t hurt him.  He may have been trying to spread paranoia, but I think he really is paranoid.  I didn’t expect him to be the first one to go anyway, but hopefully it doesn’t hurt him after the first vote.  I guess they needed to make it look like there would be another target besides the obvious Chrissy/Katrina.  PS: thanks show for not giving Katrina any air time until after the challenge.  I couldn’t even remember who she was other than “one of the moms”.  I’m glad Ryan gave Chrissy the idol, but wish she had more time to strategize with it at camp.  Had she shown it to Alan they might have been able to give Ashley the heave-ho tonight.  Was Chrissy not allowed to use the idol for Katrina?  I’m hoping she didn’t goof.

Thanks for telling me about the chickens.  I fast-forwarded that part because I hate how the chickens are treated, and always worry they will drown, helplessly trapped in the cages.

I love Ryan, too.  I was happy to see that the skinny geek finally got smart and showed up aerobically fit.  He tore up that rope netting. 

As to Alan, I loved him for about 90 seconds.  Then the bug-eyed crazy came out.  There was no need for so much drama, and I was hoping he would go.  And I was disappointed how Chrissy threw her friend under the bus.  Not only did she not use her idol, she actually voted for her.  That was a huge gamble. 

• Love 5

I had no particular love for Katrina (and the show certainly didn't expand her character portrayal in any way), but I was hoping Chrissy would have played the super idol, only because it has never been played in the show, and I would love to see it play out. Many were predicting the Hustler tribe would be the hot mess of the season, but maybe it will be the Heroes to melt down. Alan insists he is just playing the part of the crazy man, but I wouldn't trust him out on the island based on his actions either. #IdolStripSearch is certainly a new thing. What's next, a full on cavity search? :) :) :) 

• Love 4

Patrick and Ali knew each other -- they went to college together, though they apparently didn't know that they were both going to be on the show together.  I wonder why the show didn't show them talking about it.

I don't like Joe, he's a bully.

And I don't like Alan, because he's crazy.  Hie eyes are crazy. Why would Ashley and JP stay in the same alliance with him? And why didn't they go talk to Ben about him?  Why didn't they vote him out?  And why didn't Chrissy use her idol?

I like Ryan, so far, I hope he can hustle his way further in the show.

2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

No Alan you are not silly or confident you are paranoid and sucking the life out of your tribe, simma done now. 

I hate when they vote the 'old' people off first, give them a chance, Katrina was an Olympian. 

I wish they would have a season with no advantages, no idol, no super idol, no super duper idol. 

Seriously. I'd like to see it where for once the old moms have the advantage -- like a challenge involving picking up three kids from school and getting one to a play date, one to his orthodontist appointment and one to soccer practice on the same day you have an important client meeting and have to get dinner made and shirts ironed the same night you have bake the cupcakes for your daughter's class the next day.  Mazes, pfft.

44 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Thanks for telling me about the chickens.  I fast-forwarded that part because I hate how the chickens are treated, and always worry they will drown, helplessly trapped in the cages.

I love Ryan, too.  I was happy to see that the skinny geek finally got smart and showed up aerobically fit.  He tore up that rope netting. 

As to Alan, I loved him for about 90 seconds.  Then the bug-eyed crazy came out.  There was no need for so much drama, and I was hoping he would go.  And I was disappointed how Chrissy threw her friend under the bus.  Not only did she not use her idol, she actually voted for her.  That was a huge gamble. 

Me too, RedheadZombie. I hate that they even have chickens on the show period. Also like Ryan.

• Love 16
16 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Patrick and Ali knew each other -- they went to college together, though they apparently didn't know that they were both going to be on the show together.  I wonder why the show didn't show them talking about it.

I don't like Joe, he's a bully.

And I don't like Alan, because he's crazy.  Hie eyes are crazy. Why would Ashley and JP stay in the same alliance with him? And why didn't they go talk to Ben about him?  Why didn't they vote him out?  And why didn't Chrissy use her idol?

I like Ryan, so far, I hope he can hustle his way further in the show.

Probably because Ben and Alan are close allies. 

They didn't have the numbers to vote Alan out.

Because Chrissy I suspect is allied with Ban and Alan and was never really allied with Katrina. Just speculation on my part.

• Love 6

I see why Chrissy didn't use it since she voted for Katrina. Strike me as odd that she didn't use it since she knew her and Katrina were on the outs and that the 4 strong were together and it was proven at TC. So if they lose again she may be the one out.

Alan keep this up and your tribe will put your cuckoo ass back in the clock. 

When I seen the super idol I said damn they brought that unpopular item back. Good thing it was only good for the 1st TC and that idol should no longer return. EVER!!!

I have no clear cut opinon on everyone just yet. I'm still in name remembering mode lol. Besides Alan that guy who questioned the other guy on the healer team, is just ugh.  He's the probation officer right? I mean questioning people during the first 3 days isn't good for your social game. Yes talking to you Alan and probation officer. 

I said to myself how in the hell is a financial analyst considered a hero and my roommate said how is a probation officer a healer. When we thought about it, we understood why to an extent lol. 

• Love 1

New poster here. Was always a lurker before joining.

Right off the bat, there is a secret advantage. I liked that Ryan gave it to Chrissy after The Heroes lost the Immunity Challenge. I'm not really surprised that she didn't use it to save Katrina.

Does the Super Idol have no power now? Is it just a regular idol now? I don't really know what happens to it.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, TVFan1 said:

New poster here. Was always a lurker before joining.

Right off the bat, there is a secret advantage. I liked that Ryan gave it to Chrissy after The Heroes lost the Immunity Challenge. I'm not really surprised that she didn't use it to save Katrina.

Does the Super Idol have no power now? Is it just a regular idol now? I don't really know what happens to it.

It can not be used now.  It was only good for the first TC.  I don't know if it'll get re-buried as a regular idol or not.

Also, I'm surprised no one found the idol on any of the tribes.  I know that doesn't always happen every premiere, but it sure seems it.

• Love 1

Regarding Chrissy's idol:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-jeff-probst-explains-everything-know-season-35-1033552

""This is only good tonight, and guess what? It's a super idol, which means, you're in charge. You're in charge of tonight's Tribal and you're the only person who knows it. You can play it for somebody, or you can watch somebody go home. You can play it for yourself. Or you can not play it, keep it, and only you and the sender will know that it has no power, and it looks so cool, that maybe you can get some power by bluffing people."

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, TVFan1 said:

It's a souvenir. Although, I wonder if it could be used to trap someone, like happened to Cirie with the advantage last season. 

Alan cracks me up. Crazy fucker. 

• Love 2

Alan has crayyyyyyzeee eyes. At least we didn't get into the whole 'he's aggressive' thing. Yet. Dude needs to chill.

And Joe(?), the healing parole officer? Just needs a new personality because he's obviously a bullying asshole. I mean if that has already showed itself in the first episode? Not good for your rep.

I too could have used a few moments to catch my breath and learn a name or two but we get what we get, not what we want. I know that much at least by now.

• Love 2

I'm thrilled to have all new players, so that's a plus for this season already. However, the Alan crazy train is going to drive me crazy with his paranoia and game play. PLEASE vote him off quickly. Not liking Joe either. I want to like Ben, but not if he's supporting Alan blindly. Yes, you need strong people in the beginning, but not if they're destroying team morale. Plus, I'm already tired of him helping push the stupid theme down our throats every time Jeff goes to him for commentary. I guess that leaves JP to root for and drool over, but not if there's a showmance developing. I bet the proctologist has been waiting to use (or has used) the "rise to the occasion" comment his whole life. Since Chrissy didn't use the super dooper pooper idol, I hope she can bluff her way further in the game by using  it as an authentic looking fake idol.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Richness said:

I'm thrilled to have all new players, so that's a plus for this season already. However, the Alan crazy train is going to drive me crazy with his paranoia and game play. PLEASE vote him off quickly. Not liking Joe either. I want to like Ben, but not if he's supporting Alan blindly. Yes, you need strong people in the beginning, but not if they're destroying team morale. Plus, I'm already tired of him helping push the stupid theme down our throats every time Jeff goes to him for commentary. I guess that leaves JP to root for and drool over, but not if there's a showmance developing. I bet the proctologist has been waiting to use (or has used) the "rise to the occasion" comment his whole life. Since Chrissy didn't use the super dooper pooper idol, I hope she can bluff her way further in the game by using  it as an authentic looking fake idol.

I am expecting him to whip out many more puns this season.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I want proof that Andy Dalton spent the summer at the Cincinnati Bengals training camp because you cannot tell me that Patrick, the red-headed fellow in the pink shirt, is not him.

By the way Dalton has been playing you may be right!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

A financial analyst is a hero.  Mmkay.

And she said that they would miss her skills if they voted her off :)

I do not mind that the members of the "mom squad" are usually at least talked about as first to go (and if I were on Survivor I would be considered "mom squad") because they are still operating on first impressions, and to me it only makes sense that you would want to keep the young and fit.  What perplexes me much more is the way they all check each other out and then start "forming alliances" by insisting "I trust you" to players they just met.

54 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

Alan has crayyyyyyzeee eyes. At least we didn't get into the whole 'he's aggressive' thing. Yet. Dude needs to chill.

And Joe(?), the healing parole officer? Just needs a new personality because he's obviously a bullying asshole. I mean if that has already showed itself in the first episode? Not good for your rep.

Alan was aggressive enough to bully his supposed ally into allowing his junk to be inspected for idol-hiding.  I don't see how Joe is more of a bullying asshole than Alan.

• Love 4

Sweet baby Jesus, after 15 minutes I was already sick of the talking heads in which people used the bullshit tribal divisions to explain everything. "As a hustler I know blah blah blah." No. Shut up. Stop trying to make the theme happen. It's bogus. Just act like a regular person.

Alan and Joe are tap-dancing on my nerves. I pray for them to be among the first out. Which means, welcome to the final three, dudes. I rarely get my wish with reality show results and I fear all my good luck for the year was used up on the Big Brother finale.

• Love 16

Tone it way on down, Alan. I'm not sure I could put up with that kind of paranoia for very long. Talk about having some Manson Lamps, I'd be totally creeped out by the intensity of his gaze.

I already can't stand  parole officer guy. He'll probably be responsible for some major douchebaggery, so it will be all that sweeter if/when he finally gets the snuff. 

Good challenge. 

• Love 3

Hey guys glad to be back! I kind of kakked out last season because I was inadvertently exposed to the "final three spoiler" that was everywhere and that kind of wrecked my posting fun :(

Still wanting to read through all the posts but I wanted to say that I as well was going "Why didn't Chrissie save Katrina with the super idol?!" at the end, but my daughter who was watching with me thought that it might mean that they would have to revote and Chrissie might have been voted out then, but would the rules for this be a revote or the person with the second most votes (Ashley) be voted out instead? That wasn't quite clear.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, princelina said:

Alan was aggressive enough to bully his supposed ally into allowing his junk to be inspected for idol-hiding.  I don't see how Joe is more of a bullying asshole than Alan.

Did Alan ask JP to drop his drawers? No, JP is an insecure fool who did that on his own, from what I saw. Instead of walking away and even using it as leverage against Alan, he whips it out? Christ on a crutch, but he's an idiot. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Did Alan ask JP to drop his drawers? No, JP is an insecure fool who did that on his own, from what I saw. Instead of walking away and even using it as leverage against Alan, he whips it out? Christ on a crutch, but he's an idiot. 

I thought he did ask him to - and after a while of arguing, JP finally did it.  

• Love 2

Alan is crazy eyes, boy he's going to flip out before long if he carries on that way

Joe reminds me of Tony, but Tony wasn't a hideous bully like Joe. Those two are the worst imho.

I liked Ryan, he's very skinny isn't he. But he aligned himself with a good guy.I seldom remember names, until the middle of the season, but I know who I like. The redheaded guy is going to burn like Cochran.. Sunscreen Jeff, pronto! 

Edited by Hello Lady
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Congratulations Alan, you absolutely made yourself look crazy in this episode. In fact, worse than crazy, you just looked stupid as fuck. I am going to assume the one woman wasn't that close to the woman voted off since considering she could only use the idol for that one tribal, the fact that she didn't use it to save the woman makes it clear she was fine with her leaving. Other than Alan, I can't really remember anyone's name and no one stood out to me in a really good way yet but I enjoyed the premiere. Nerd guy on the Hustler tribe is trying way too hard to be the next Cochran. The "look at me, I'm a loser, I'm a dork," shtick got old really fast but I'm a little intrigued by him and surfer dude as an alliance.  

I was thinking the exact same thing.  For the life of me I cannot remember who is who besides Alan and Katrina.  I only remember Katrina because she was voted off.

It funny because the Australian version of Survivor is currently airing and as I just posted in the thread for that show, the editing over there is much better.  They seem to give a decent amount of camera time to nearly every player (for the most part in mean there is a limited amount of time) and so you tend to get a feel for the early boots.  They do not come across as sort of disposable people who have no, for lack of a better term, character development.  Our version used to do so much better in that department.  Heck I still remember Mad Dog from season two but I could not remember some of the early boots from the more recent season.

I will be honest I was shocked that they cast two nerdy dudes this season in the doctor and the Cochran wannabe.  I really wish they would stop casting the same sort of stereotypical nerds every season.  

2 hours ago, ForeverAlone said:

I had no particular love for Katrina (and the show certainly didn't expand her character portrayal in any way), but I was hoping Chrissy would have played the super idol, only because it has never been played in the show, and I would love to see it play out. Many were predicting the Hustler tribe would be the hot mess of the season, but maybe it will be the Heroes to melt down. Alan insists he is just playing the part of the crazy man, but I wouldn't trust him out on the island based on his actions either. #IdolStripSearch is certainly a new thing. What's next, a full on cavity search? :) :) :) 

The super idol is the exact thing as the idol in earlier seasons.  It has been played before, just in earlier seasons.

I really wish they would stop calling it the super idol when it was at one point just the regular idol.

15 minutes ago, Michichick said:

Sweet baby Jesus, after 15 minutes I was already sick of the talking heads in which people used the bullshit tribal divisions to explain everything. "As a hustler I know blah blah blah." No. Shut up. Stop trying to make the theme happen. It's bogus. Just act like a regular person.

Alan and Joe are tap-dancing on my nerves. I pray for them to be among the first out. Which means, welcome to the final three, dudes. I rarely get my wish with reality show results and I fear all my good luck for the year was used up on the Big Brother finale.

I agree I hate when Jeff or the contestants try to fit into the theme.  The themes are so damn stupid.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, PerfidiousAmber said:

Still wanting to read through all the posts but I wanted to say that I as well was going "Why didn't Chrissie save Katrina with the super idol?!" at the end, but my daughter who was watching with me thought that it might mean that they would have to revote and Chrissie might have been voted out then, but would the rules for this be a revote or the person with the second most votes (Ashley) be voted out instead? That wasn't quite clear.

I'm pretty sure Ashley would have gone home as the person with the second highest number of votes. Essentially this was an immunity idol that:

1. Could be played for self or another after the votes were read, BUT

2. Was only good at the first TC

So it would only confer immunity on the person it was played for (as usual for immunity idols), not nullify the vote.

As for why Chrissy didn't save Katrina: Just because they're both outside the main alliance doesn't mean Chrissy felt it was in her best interest to ally with Katrina. Knowing that Alan and Ben both have issues with JP and Ashley pairing up probably made Chrissy decide to go in with them on this vote and then be the swing vote (probably on Alan/Ben's side) if they lose again.

• Love 5

That makes sense... especially as Chrissie seems savvy enough to realize that even though she was on the bottom, she didn't have to necessarily stick to the Alan, Katrina and Ben "alliance"  just to get through... she might have thought sticking with Katrina would be like going down on a sinking ship and have some other plans for the future instead, such as you pointed out. Let's see if it bites her in the butt or not.

Edited by PerfidiousAmber
  • Love 3

Another thing I was pondering: On the surface, Joe evokes Tony. But as much as I disliked Tony, he seemed much more socially aware than Joe seems. Tony laid low at first and focused on building alliances with people and then moved on to taking out his competition and solidifying his power. Joe is starting out by very obviously trying to throw Mike under the bus to his tribemates (Would you trust a tribemate that was clearly playing that hard on day 2?) and bullying one of them.I just can't see Joe lasting very long.

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I mean, make your day one alliances (most of which will implode on day ten), but this overly pointed targeting of people -- both from Joe and Alan -- seemed out of place this early in the season. Chill out, people.

Does anybody else see how this frantic alliance-building right out of the gate thing has evolved over the seasons? Gone are the days of just watching and waiting for the right time and the right people - everybody is just panicked if they don't have an alliance with at least one other person like five minutes into the game.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Michichick said:

These "themes" get more tenuous as they go on, and every year they drive me up the wall because everyone is trying so. damn. hard. to make it happen. I wish as you said 'Just act like a regular person.' was the theme not some tortured grouping thrown together by casting. How about the little waif that was on the 'braun' team last time they threw one of these 'themes' together? Ugh and double ugh. I just hope we can get past this hitting us all over the head with the "theme" phase.

Also, Joe, you're not a fucking spirit animal you're a parole officer. I feel sorry for the people forced to have you with power over their lives. People want to have life lessons talks with their guidance counselor oops parole officers like people want to go in to their dentist when they know a root canal is in the offing.

7 minutes ago, PerfidiousAmber said:

everybody is just panicked if they don't have an alliance with at least one other person like five minutes into the game.

Agreed. This was seen on Big brother this season as well as everyone paired off almost instantly... not a great development. Speaking of new developments I wonder if we'll be seeing everyone whispering back and forth with each other during tribal. I'd bet they've been told that doesn't make good teevee and hopefully it will be curtailed.

(And welcome back!)

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

Oh, the probation guy was unfortunately reminding me waaay too much of Tony. And not in a good way.

Oh my goodness.

What bugged me about this episode is that when all the votes were revealed it became obvious that they all had a pre-arranged agreement to take out Katrina -- but there wasn't the slightest hint of any such plan in the strategizing before TC.   Essentially, everything they showed us pre-TC was irrelevant and meaningless.    

I suppose they couldn't show the group and Puke Lady plotting against Katrina because it would have robbed TC of that cheap "will she use the idol or won't she" suspense.

I hate it when the manipulation is so obvious.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, simplyme said:

Joe being a healer was answered in some interview Probst gave pre-show. From what I recall, Probst said he was talking to Joe about his job and Joe told him he wasn't really the parolee's opponent. He was there to try to help them during a difficult time of transition. However, that means he not only tries to give them goals and resource ideas, but he also holds them accountable for their actions.

If I were ever to commit a crime of any sort and got caught, heaven forfend I would ever be subject to Joe's "help". I mean, he might actually be very good at his job, but right now he comes across as an arrogant jackass who really isn't that empathetic to people.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Richness said:

I want to like Ben, but not if he's supporting Alan blindly. Yes, you need strong people in the beginning, but not if they're destroying team morale. 

I saw no losing of morale. There were divisions, whether it was against the older women or against JP and Ashley. Why is the division against the latter bad for morale, but the former isn't? Because JP will drop his pants if challenged? It was a unanimous vote, after all. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 1

Dum de dum, another dumb theme.  "As a hustler, the Fiji sunset is beautiful."  We must all grit our teeth and endure the nonsense, because it's going to be every season for the rest of our lives.

I can't say I minded Alan as much as y'all, and I didn't think he's crazy -- just overplaying very much.  Putting a target on someone's back can work, just ask poor Andrea, targeted by Zeke.  She spent the rest of her game on the block, for no reason. But to do this with no subtlety at all didn't work very well.  Nevertheless, I mean, it didn't seem to hurt him, his alliance including the people he was throwing under the bus stuck together.  (I may be going easy on him because I think he is very handsome.)  I also didn't mind Bellhop Ryan, though god knows that will change if he/the editors keep it up with the "remember David??  he talked painfully annoying shit about himself all the time too, he was friends with a handsome idiot too, he was your precious cinnamon roll too" thing.  At least he seemed comfortable outdoors and at the challenges.

I did mind Joe.  During his first confessional I said to myself, "well these editors know what they are doing, they have made this guy a villain instantaneously" and then his bullying of Mr. Sex Doctor, I was just like holy shit, I hate this man.  You know, some people hate Russell, hate Coach or Tony or Corrine or whoever it might be, in that visceral way, and I don't feel that way about them, but I know that feeling.  I feel that way about Dawn Meehan, about Terry Dietz, and now I feel that way about this guy Joe.  I actually strongly dislike Sex Doctor Man, too, but holy cow that Joe.

What else?  Ali seems cool...Ben seemed smart.....um what else....well I would like to hide amidst more comments but I can't think of anything, so I will just say it here that Roark is giving me Kim Spradlin vibes in the deep vibrating strings of my edit-reading seismograph.  If I eat my words I eat my words, but in case I'm right, I'm putting it out here in episode one.

6 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I don't know why, but Jeff sounds a little tired of this. 

Jeff seemed like he could barely remember his lines to me.  "Shit I forgot to show you the idols, here, they're what you...covet, right, this is what you covet."  "Oh yeah, uh, fire represents your time or something, can we get on with this."  Of all the times I've complained about Probst, he's never seemed to me like he was in it for the paycheck before (he may or may not actually understand the show he's on, but he certainly loves it), but there was definitely something off about him this time.  I wonder if he was not feeling the cast, or if he was sick, or something.

1 hour ago, PerfidiousAmber said:

Does anybody else see how this frantic alliance-building right out of the gate thing has evolved over the seasons? Gone are the days of just watching and waiting for the right time and the right people - everybody is just panicked if they don't have an alliance with at least one other person like five minutes into the game.

I feel like this has actually been somewhat toned down in recent seasons, compared to the post-HvV stretch where the day-one-five-minute-five-person-alliance-Pagongs-them-all was the entire name of the game.  It did seem a bit much this time, but I kind of feel like it's because people on this season are playing overly hard and sort of really bad at human communication.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 6