Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E01: I'm Not Crazy, I'm Confident

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

The castaways battle to prove which group has what it takes to win – Heroes, Healers or Hustlers. Also, one tribe will earn an advantage when the game is immediately “ignited” by the season’s first challenge, and there is a super idol that comes with a new twist.

New season and, I am sure, some new posters.  It is important to adhere to the rules.  This is the biggest one:

There is NO preview talk in the episode threads.  While not hard-core spoilers, previews contain information for the next episode that many of our posters avoid purposely.  To then accidentally read about the preview in the episode thread ruins the experience for them.  

We have a separate thread for Previews and (non-spoiler) Speculation here.   Please take all preview talk there.   If you even mention a preview, your entire post will go *poof*.   This applies to the entire season. 

Thanks- and let the games begin!

• Love 5

Who is Alan?  I need to know which NFL team he played for before I know if I can root for him. Oh wait, never mind.  He is cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

I want proof that Andy Dalton spent the summer at the Cincinnati Bengals training camp because you cannot tell me that Patrick, the red-headed fellow in the pink shirt, is not him.

Didn't we already have a David?  We don't really need another one so Ryan is superfluous.

Joe holy fuck.  You are a jerk.

Ali is so pretty.  

"Ryan and I have the same mind set and same ideals..." namely, saving my pretty ass.

A financial analyst is a hero.  Mmkay.

• Love 14

Well, hello Hero tribe. Chrissy, what is heroic about being a mother and going to work? That is, more heroic than anything else? Lots of people do that. Nice, a sex doctor. Obvious why he was cast - a geek with an offbeat profession (offbeat for Survivor, anyway). Doesn't look anything like Evan from Bachelorette/Bachelor in Paradise.  Hustlers - why do I think of Larry Flynt?? I also think of card sharks and get rich schemes.

Ha! A secret advantage! Ryan gets it. And Jeff gets the motorized boat. I know who Cowboy looks like - Cutter from MasterChef a couple of seasons ago. Woo, Jeff, good one: "Hustlers still trying to figure out what show they're on!" I don't know why, but Jeff sounds a little tired of this.  Ashley on Heroes Tribe reminds me of Abi in appearance. It's seems a little too soon for alliances - get to know people a little. Ryan on Hustlers reminds me a little of David from the Adam season. I hope he finds the idol.

I don't like Joe. Ryan talks like Adam in his talking heads, in the declaiming tone of voice. Alan's kind of a bully, too.  Not a bully, just nuts.

I'm glad Hustlers got second place in Immunity. Now Ryan should give the idol to Chrissy - and he did! Now what's cool is that it can be used after votes are read, so she can save another person like Katrina.  I wouldn't call an Olympian a weaker link, Cowboy. Alan says I'm not crazy, I'm confident! in a squeaky voice.  Was he like this when he played in the NFL?

Now couldn't that idol be only used at this first tribal? Or did I hear that wrong? I was wondering why Chrissy didn't play it for Katrina.

• Love 10

So now that we are stuck in Fiji, I guess we just get “Survivor is back!” from Jeff, rather than the “This is (insert location here, with a brief history and clips of the wildlife and weather)”.  So because the tie vote goes directly to a rock draw was a bust last season (probably because they were told ahead of time), now we’re back to the previous tie vote tie breakers.  Boring. 

Op Scene: yay to no chickens getting tossed overboard.  They seemed to waste a lot of fruit and vegetables.  There was no plan at all when they started the marooning.  I like the twists that come with the marooning (in this case, one tribe getting a fire making kit and the other getting flint), but I wish just one tribe won.  Seeing the Hustlers tribe hopelessly trying to row to shore, and then getting a clip where 3 of them weren’t even facing the right way.  They certainly didn’t live up to their name. 

Challenge: I’ve been pretty down on the challenges the last few seasons, but this was a good one.  Gave me flashbacks to when Guatemala did one similar (though that one was a blow out with a funnier outcome).  I liked that they could pick what puzzle they wanted, but that it was first come, first serve, so you might get the crappy puzzle because your tribe was last.  I don’t know who I wanted to lose more, the Heroes or the Healers.  Of course had the Healers lost Mike would have been an easy first out thanks to King Joe.  And poor Chrissy already getting sick at the challenge.

As for the tribes themselves:

Hustlers: I love Ryan!  Who knew the guy that I thought would annoy me was my favorite of the night?  He won the ep for me with his TH.  I was so excited he found the secret advantage, but disappointed it was only good for the first TC.  I’m thinking he’s going to need it.  I did like the twist on it, but after last season, please let this be the only super idol.  So I guess Taylor changed his name to Devon and instead of snowboarding teaches kids to surf.  I don’t know why Ryan thought Devon would have been in trouble at the first TC if they went, to where he said he’d play the idol for him.

Healers:  Mike, I would hope you would have enough sense to go look for the idol, and not go because your 10 year old son told you to.  He kind of annoys me, but not as much as Joe.  Joe is so cocky, but no way he’s going to win with an attitude like that right out of the gate.  We’ve come a long way from Richard Hatch and his “I’ve got the million dollar check written” from season 1, episode 1.  Please let him be not only an early boot, but a blindside.

Heroes: I love Alan, but hate the rest of his alliance (mainly Ben).  Way to be original and target the two oldest women on your tribe.  This season has high school clique vibes already.  And this is one reason why I hate the 3 tribe, 6 person set up in the beginning.  At least in a tribe of 10 there’s more targets.  JP and Ashley violated one of the most important rules of Survivor and acted like they were already a power couple.  Alan definitely playing too hard, too fast, and I hope that doesn’t hurt him.  He may have been trying to spread paranoia, but I think he really is paranoid.  I didn’t expect him to be the first one to go anyway, but hopefully it doesn’t hurt him after the first vote.  I guess they needed to make it look like there would be another target besides the obvious Chrissy/Katrina.  PS: thanks show for not giving Katrina any air time until after the challenge.  I couldn’t even remember who she was other than “one of the moms”.  I’m glad Ryan gave Chrissy the idol, but wish she had more time to strategize with it at camp.  Had she shown it to Alan they might have been able to give Ashley the heave-ho tonight.  Was Chrissy not allowed to use the idol for Katrina?  I’m hoping she didn’t goof.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 8

No Alan you are not silly or confident you are paranoid and sucking the life out of your tribe, simma done now. 

I hate when they vote the 'old' people off first, give them a chance, Katrina was an Olympian. 

I wish they would have a season with no advantages, no idol, no super idol, no super duper idol. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 22
1 minute ago, Lamb18 said:

Now couldn't that idol be only used at this first tribal? Or did I hear that wrong? I was wondering why Chrissy didn't play it for Katrina.

I was surprised she didn't but it would have made her a huge target in the next TC.  Better to go with the majority.

I hope that super idol was a one time thing. The producers probably thought it would shake up the usual pattern of voting out an older woman.  Man, did that backfire!

Survivor sure does love those geeky skinny guys.

• Love 9

So how much of game changers did this cast see before going on the island?  Did Alan like see Hali offering to strip to prove that she didn't have an idol so he thought it was  good idea to ask JP do the same? lol

Funny that Simone was one of the more polarizing contestants during the pregame and yet had no confessionals this episode.

Not surprised Chrissy didn't use the idol., I have a feeling she is closer to Alan and Ben than what we were shown. I can see the three of them teaming up to take out one of Ashley?JP should they go to tribal again.

• Love 4

My first thought is I really do enjoy a 90 minute premiere episode so much more.  The whole episode felt so rushed to me.

I thought I was liking  Chrissy up until the end. I thought it was disappointing she didn't use the idol.  I'm sure the producers agree.

Hard to remember many more names, but Alan is a s***.

I like the brain and jock alliance on the Hustlers.  The Jock actually seemed sweet from the little that we saw.

Felt bad that Katrina got a pretty invisible edit for her only episode.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 15

I was really surprised that Chrissy didn't save Katrina, but i the end vote offs, she voted for her. It makes sense. She probably didn't think anyone was moving to her side to split a vote or something. Now the question would be why not eliminate the power couple (and the second question is, why why why make it obvious y'all are a couple?)

Idol Strip Search is reason 9939391 why i wouldn't be on survivor. I would have lost it. 

Hustlers winning immunity ruined my week in the pool (I thought Lauren would be booted). Ryan = David. 
Alan is insane. The redhead has bad luck (when you have a walking stick on you you are supposed to let it crawl off you unscathed). 

• Love 5

Oh, ugh.  Does anyone else remember when some vague, compassionate PTB didn't think it was necessary to show a person actually vomiting?

Okay, new season, and I'm already reminded of why this show makes me want to pull my hair out of my head.  Yeah, hey, let's target the mom squad.  They can't possibly offer anything of value to the tribe.  It's not like Katrina might possibly be a good swimmer or anything, right?  

Early likes:  Ashley, Desi, and maybe that guy that Ryan allied with.  (Sorry, I don't remember his name.  I kept calling him Barbarino in my head.  He made me laugh because he admitted that his biggest fear was being voted out first, and he just doesn't seem the kind of guy that would ever have thought that might happen.)

I approve of Ryan giving his superidol to someone he perceived as likely to be in the minority.  It seemed worth it to hope that a strong player on an opposing team could then be voted out.  Not sure why Chrissy didn't use it?  (And why is she a hero?)

Alan can get off my screen now.  So can the probation officer.  

Welcome back, Survivor!

• Love 20

Glad I'm not the only one confused about the idol.  It didn't sound like Chrissy could only play it for herself.  That's why I'm wondering if she misunderstood.  

Well, hello Hero tribe. Chrissy, what is heroic about being a mother and going to work? That is, more heroic than anything else? Lots of people do that. Nice, a sex doctor. Obvious why he was cast - a geek with an offbeat profession (offbeat for Survivor, anyway). Doesn't look anything like Evan from Bachelorette/Bachelor in Paradise.  Hustlers - why do I think of Larry Flynt?? I also think of card sharks and get rich schemes.

Heck, they probably could have made a case for Dr. Mike or Ali to be on the Heroes tribe if they wanted to.  I sometimes wish they wouldn't tell them ahead of time what the theme is or their tribes are (because it doesn't matter at the swap anyway), and let them try and figure it out.  And with all the idol paranoia, this is why I want an idol free season.  Let them get paranoid over nothing.

• Love 4

I wish the premiere was 2 hours. I still don't know who most of these people are. It seems like it has potential to be a fun season, even if they are really stretching the theme. (How is a financial analyst a hero?)

Alan of the Crazy Eyes needs to stick around purely for my entertainment. It was one thing when that dude dropped his pants but then Alan actually went over and inspected his junk! I'm still laughing.

Ryan...can't decide whether I'm going to love him or hate him. Good for him for spotting the advantage though! Can you imagine what he's going to look like if he makes it to the end? It will literally be 2 people and a skeleton at the final TC.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I was really surprised that Chrissy didn't save Katrina, but i the end vote offs, she voted for her. It makes sense. She probably didn't think anyone was moving to her side to split a vote or something. Now the question would be why not eliminate the power couple (and the second question is, why why why make it obvious y'all are a couple?)

Idol Strip Search is reason 9939391 why i wouldn't be on survivor. I would have lost it. 

Hustlers winning immunity ruined my week in the pool (I thought Lauren would be booted). Ryan = David. 
Alan is insane. The redhead has bad luck (when you have a walking stick on you you are supposed to let it crawl off you unscathed). 

I'm questioning more why no one asked him why he had a crab in his pocket that he forgot about.

Ryan...can't decide whether I'm going to love him or hate him. Good for him for spotting the advantage though! Can you imagine what he's going to look like if he makes it to the end? It will literally be 2 people and a skeleton at the final TC.

Throw in Alan and Patrick and you'll have a lobster and crazy eyes.

I think Chrissy's whole claim to hero fame is that she was working, left work to become a mom, and went back to work.  Which still makes zero sense, but so did putting a real estate agent on a brawn tribe.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 11

With Alan doing all the bug eyed paranoid bullying I think I would have tossed him.  why align yoyself with a crazy loose cannon from day one.  You spend all your time trying to manage them...another Abi

I dont like Chrissy either.  

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 12

During the challenge why was Joe just climbing the stairs when the other people were climbing and hauling. Lots of talk from him but I see no action. Also, do his shorts have to ride below his butt so his underwear show? Be like most of the guys and just wear your briefs (then again maybe that would show why he's all talk...to make up for...) 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
Just now, vb68 said:

Oh, the probation guy was unfortunately reminding me waaay too much of Tony. And not in a good way.

I thought so too.  And Alan is nuts. 

We really did not need to see Chrissy puking. 

The hustlers are lost at sea!  Good one, Jeff. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Also, Dallas Cowboys, Jacksonville Jaguars and Houston Texans.

And Arizona Cardinals.

Not a fan of Alan or the probation officer..bullies on episode 1!!  What happened to waiting a couple of episodes to make an alliance..seeing how the people actually are first... 

• Love 8

Not finding myself caring out of the gate. I like the start on the boat, but it's basically "Let's Throw All The Shit In The Water And Sort It Out Later!" And then? Super Idol! Nice that it was good for the first Tribal, though I don't think idols should be played in the first episode. Naturally, a schmuck gets it (I identify with him a little; hence, schmuck), he sends it to one of the Hero Moms, and she . . . doesn't bail the other Mom out. Probably for the best, in the sense that she would've painted a target on her back for negating a 5-1 vote. Also, I'm guessing idols will be out in force, because Probst, Burnett and Co. learned nothing from Cirie getting hosed last season.

I hope Alan's eyes bug out all the time, because then it might be a little normal. Some football players suffer concussions. He would have really minor ocular trauma. I kinda wish the guy stripping took it farther. "I'm bending over! Do you see an idol in there?!?" "No, but I see plastic." "Oh, I smuggled cocaine into Fiji. I swear on this white powder that I am not betraying you."

I guess we'll only get tribal names once we inevitable crunch down to two. I feel bad for the folks that brainstorm the names, and then Probst is all, "Too hard to remember! Three descriptive words starting with 'H'!!"

• Love 3

I'm wondering if there was more to the whole Alan/Ashley/JP fiasco.  Maybe he saw or heard something he didn't like, or (rightfully) got paranoid over seeing a strong duo spending a lot of time together.  I think he intended to spread paranoia about the idol, but then his acting went to real life.  Something must bug him about them.  At least JP didn't seem as boring tonight as he had in his interviews.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm wondering if there was more to the whole Alan/Ashley/JP fiasco.  Maybe he saw or heard something he didn't like, or (rightfully) got paranoid over seeing a strong duo spending a lot of time together.  I think he intended to spread paranoia about the idol, but then his acting went to real life.  Something must bug him about them.  At least JP didn't seem as boring tonight as he had in his interviews.

Yeah I have watched long enough to know there was probably a lot more going on than what we saw. Wouldn't surprise me if JP went off by himself to go look for the idol, etc.

• Love 2

Interesting beginning.  I bet Chrissy didn't want to save Katrina (and voted for her), because she knew a 'mom' would be targeted again next time. Getting rid of her "competition " gives her the chance to get in with another 2-3, not be a challenge target, and go after the couple, while not be seen as a 'couple' with the other mom.

• Love 9

I like yellow, but Joe gotta go.  He's Tony Jr.  Stop with the respect bullshit.  Mike is sadly an easy target. I like him but I don't think he has a chance.

I'm hating on the Blue tribe.  Alpha male BS on full display.  Alan is a bullying asshole.  Careful Mr. NFL Black Man. Your word is worth nothing to the rest of the tribe.

Red team looks pathetic, but may be tenacious.

Super Immunity Idol!, but only good for first tribal.  Interesting. Ryan is creepy.  I hope his alliance with Doofus Surfer Dude crumbles.

Tie votes are back in at Tribal Council?  wtf?

Woo Hoo!  A boatload of testosterone going to tribal.  Chrissy looks doomed!  Will Ryan save her?????

And he does!

Disclosure:  A friend of mine lives in the same town she is from and has met her in passing.  He's a professor and has never watched Survivor, but will check it out to see how she does.  I'll pump him for some more info :)

Good crazy tribal.

Sad that Chrissy couldn't save Katrina and even voted her out.  "The STFU and keep the target off my back strategy" Would Ashley have automatically gone if she pulled out the advantage?

The women should have voted for Alan. A big strong wannabe dictator.

• Love 7
Just now, PaperTree said:

I like yellow, but Joe gotta go.  He's Tony Jr.  Stop with the respect bullshit.  Mike is sadly an easy target. I like him but I don't think he has a chance.

I'm hating on the Blue tribe.  Alpha male BS on full display.  Alan is a bullying asshole.  Careful Mr. NFL Black Man. Your word is worth nothing to the rest of the tribe.

Red team looks pathetic, but may be tenacious.

Super Immunity Idol!, but only good for first tribal.  Interesting. Ryan is creepy.  I hope his alliance with Doofus Surfer Dude crumbles.

Tie votes are back in at Tribal Council?  wtf?

Woo Hoo!  A boatload of testosterone going to tribal.  Chrissy looks doomed!  Will Ryan save her?????

And he does!

Disclosure:  A friend of mine lives in the same town she is from and has met her in passing.  He's a professor and has never watched Survivor, but will check it out to see how she does.  I'll pump him for some more info :)

Good crazy tribal.

Sad that Chrissy couldn't save Katrina and even voted her out.  "The STFU and keep the target off my back strategy" Would Ashley have automatically gone if she pulled out the advantage?

The women should have voted for Alan. A big strong wannabe dictator.

I believe that yes, whoever had the next highest number of votes would have gone.  I half wondered if they were going to try and split the votes, and that would prevent Chrissy from using it on Katrina.  Like the rest of the episode, TC was flying by, so I thought something was going to happen besides the predictable. 

• Love 1

Chrissy is an idiot.  Saving Katrina would have put those 2 plus Alan in total control of the tribe.  Now she is probably the next to go.

I hate the parole officer and it is ridiculous to call him a "healer".

Alan is a little crazy but he is using it as a strategy and I kind of like him.

I also like Desi, the bellhop (I was one for a few weeks in college) and the Prick Doctor. 

JP and Ashley can leave at any time.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

Chrissy voted Katrina off that's why she didn't use that idol to save her. 

Kind of answering the question with another question.  Why would Chrissy vote off Katrina?

I *also* wanted to gag at this episode.  My favourite show on television, but every female contestant was getting stars in their eyes over the men.  It was just so dullsville.  This cast is NOT looking good.  I had high hopes for Alan but the guy constantly shows the entire whites around his eyes....... which means... I don't know.  He seems unhinged.  And the forced striptease really disturbed me. 

I like the Sex Doctor because everything he said about his kids made me hysterical.  And I like the nerdy guy who found the idol.  The 'underdoggish' Hustler tribe seems cool.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 16

As others have noted, this seemed frenetic to me -- maybe it was the hour-long time period that made it seem a lot more intense. I kept waiting for it to slow down and breathe, so I honestly can't tell if it was the condensed time period or that there are that many aggressive players this year. It felt like there were more than usual.

I mean, make your day one alliances (most of which will implode on day ten), but this overly pointed targeting of people -- both from Joe and Alan -- seemed out of place this early in the season. Chill out, people.

Will probably know more next week, but that was A Lot for a first week (and not necessarily in a good way).

And good god, is Fiji gorgeous.

• Love 6

As I suspect they've done in the past, they just see who's been cast and what categories they can shoehorn them into. It often makes no sense. 

I never really feel like I know anyone for several episodes. I feel like this season will be the same. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Whimsy said:

As suspect they've done in the past, they just see who's been cast and what categories they can shoehorn them into. It often makes no sense. 

Or have half cast that fit the categories and shoehorn the rest in.  Like how Aubry looked smart because she wore glasses, so she was designated a brain, but she has said she wasn't really that smart.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

As I suspect they've done in the past, they just see who's been cast and what categories they can shoehorn them into. It often makes no sense. 

Yeah.  In what universe is a parole officer a healer?  Or a financial analyst a hero?

• Love 22

I'm actually surprised Joe didn't wind up on the Heroes tribe, but I guess it had enough muscle over there.  Plus, at least former Marine/firefighter makes sense as heroes.  I'm not big on entertainers or athletes being labeled heroes for the sake of their profession, but I know not everyone feels that way.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4